Final Fantasy XIII PlayStation 3

7.5

1. Sep 1, 2015
    Lo jugué a su salida y no me gusto, lo he retomado hace unos meses y he de decir que una vez que sales de toda la toxicidad de los haters, los lovers y todo tipo de opiniones y análisis, el juego es bastante entretenido y con una historia que aunque no es de las mejores de la saga, invita a seguirla sin llegar a ser monótona o aburrida. Sistema de batallas distinto pero no por ello malo.
  2. Aug 19, 2015
    It is straight-on insulting to be considered an RPG. The battle system is nothing more than a dummed-down pseudo real-time battle system. In the sense that its just turnbased while they move around on their own. And the worst of all is they restrict you to only one person to control. You can only control the party leader but guess what? You can choose who the party leader is. ..near theIt is straight-on insulting to be considered an RPG. The battle system is nothing more than a dummed-down pseudo real-time battle system. In the sense that its just turnbased while they move around on their own. And the worst of all is they restrict you to only one person to control. You can only control the party leader but guess what? You can choose who the party leader is. ..near the end of the game. Whoop-de-freakin' do. And Masashi Hamauzu does god-awful music in this. Blinded By Light is the only thing remotely close to decent song in the game. We couldn't have Takeharu Ishimoto do the music again? No, no, we had to put this random guy no one knows of. The game layout is nothing more than a straight hallway. It's even more insulting that SQUARE thought this would sell and not Saga 3 DS, saying Saga 3 wouldn't sell very well That's a pure insult .Play FFXII or Saga 3. They are far better. Expand
  3. Aug 13, 2015
    To say this is the greatest entry in the series is an offense to the series. But to say it is the worst in the series is a far greater offense.

The game combines stellar graphical quality, composed and quick-paced strategic battle, a rather excellent unique story for the series (which XIII-2 does no justic to), vibrance that the previous entry did not deliver, engrossing characters with complex Bradburian development, and laser-focused direction with polish not seen in many years in the series. This is perhaps the most hated gem of the series, derided by Westerners cemented in the notion of meaningless expanses and plenty of boring sidequests.

If you are searching for a game that offers an expansive world, pointless sidequests and minigames, non-linearity, and broken design, feel free to pick up Final Fantasy XII. But if you are looking for story, action, vibrance, gameplay, fast pace, and bewildering presentation, pick up Final Fantasy XIII, the first true fantasy world since Final Fantasy X.
  4. Aug 5, 2015
    While the story does sort of collapse at the end, for the most part I think the story is great. The characters are generally fine, with lightning and Fang definitely being my favourites (Snow really needs to shut up about being a hero). Everyone needs to stop hating on how whiny Hope is though, his mother literally died right in front of him and the guy who he thinks is responsible isWhile the story does sort of collapse at the end, for the most part I think the story is great. The characters are generally fine, with lightning and Fang definitely being my favourites (Snow really needs to shut up about being a hero). Everyone needs to stop hating on how whiny Hope is though, his mother literally died right in front of him and the guy who he thinks is responsible is constantly grinning like an idiot. I think I'd be a little unhappy too to say the least.

The best parts of this game are definitely the presentation which is mesmerizing, and the battle system which is one of the best I've seen in any game.
  5. Jul 18, 2015
    First of all I would give this game a 7 or a 7.5 out of 10 but I give in 8 just to balance things up with all the angry reviews.So the game is fun with a combat system that is more focused on timing and wants you to be quick rather than thinking .Enemies like every other Final Fantasy game have their weaknesses but in XIII you need to exploit them more like in X.The story is a mess,yeahFirst of all I would give this game a 7 or a 7.5 out of 10 but I give in 8 just to balance things up with all the angry reviews.So the game is fun with a combat system that is more focused on timing and wants you to be quick rather than thinking .Enemies like every other Final Fantasy game have their weaknesses but in XIII you need to exploit them more like in X.The story is a mess,yeah but if you give it some time and actually pay attention you may actually like it,but it's still not very strong.The characters are a give or take,you either like them or not,nothing more to say here(I personally like them all,except Hope).But the game IS linear for the first 20 hours or so (not something I hate though) and then it opens up. So having played VII,X,XII,XIII trilogy I have to admit that this game is one of the weaker entries on the series,BUT i do not believe it is a bad game and I am sure as hell it doesn't deserve all the 0 here.If you really want to see what a bad game is go play Ride to Hell Retribution.Also the game can be damn Hard sometimes,something I found that other entries on the series lacked. Expand
  6. Jul 11, 2015
    I have played every single FF main installment and I daresay that this could provide an alienating feeling to new comers. I barely finished this game due to boredom. This is blasphemy to the great FF legacy and another proof that Graphics cannot lift the game wholly. I cannot even freakin imagine why did this had its own saga.
  7. May 25, 2015
    Its a good game, nice grafics and all but it is more a linear movie then a role playing game, very linear gameplay. Battle scenes are back(some people like it, i dont, i rather the ffxii system of open maps with enemies) but other than it, its a good game.
  8. May 21, 2015
  9. May 7, 2015
    This game lacks depth or engagement. Even the earlier Final Fantasy games--where you are generic heroes gathering crystals--have more to them than this week long movie. You don't even get the pleasure of hearing Nobuo Uematsu's work.

I played this game as a part of the Playstation Now service, and I still feel like I was ripped off for playing a "free" game. I would not pay for this game.

STORY: That's all there is, and it's not even very good at that. Hours of watching the characters interact through various rendered cutscenes and FMVs. They don't even do a good job with that. Out of your six main characters, only one really has an interesting personal story. The rest waver between deciding if they want to fight back against their overlords, or buckling from the pressure of being mankind's hated enemy by doing it. Their personalities are about as generic as their names (Snow, Hope, Lightning...) and the buildup to fighting one of the major antagonists... I honestly forgot who he was and why we were fighting him at that point.

GAMEPLAY: What little there is, is rather boring. The formula for the first half of the game boils down to this: Cutscene, maneuver down a small hallway-like map, reach a save point, enter a "boss battle". To switch it up, your party is broken down into 2-3 sub-parties who repeat the formula. 10 hours into the game (I still hadn't unlocked the ability to make your own party yet) I was actively trying to avoid fights, because they weren't entertaining at all.

There was a joke that this game should be called Final Hallway 13. I definitely agree. 20 hours into the game I gave up. I couldn't remember any of the areas I had been through, and they're one-path treks through a generic forest, junkyard, or ice land. Even the cities set you down one track and your characters can't interact with them at all.

BATTLE: The battle system is a neat interpretation of the ATB System, but the problem is, aside from a handful of tough battle here and there requiring a MED character, you can get through the game with little trouble using just COM/RAV/RAV and a small stack of Potions. Because of the role-shifting nature of the class, the lack of control over your party members, and that everyone can do just about anything, the genericness of the characters is further compounded. Everyone can be a warrior, a black mage, and a subset of a white mage.

MUSIC: One of the few Final Fantasy games not composed by Nobou Uematsu. The battle theme is catchy, and variations of the main theme are done nice. There are some annoying pieces throughout the game, but overall... it's alright. Blinded by Light (Lightning's theme, main battle theme) is the earworm of the game, and after hours of hearing it, I still like it.
  10. Apr 13, 2015
    FF13 is subject to load of unnecessary hatred but upset fans for silly reasons. People don't like the fact that this game is so linear but that is not a drawback at all. This game is a story driven RPG it is not a open world do whatever the hell you want. The player follows the path the games makes for them because that is how the story is being told, this isn't the Elder Scrolls. TheFF13 is subject to load of unnecessary hatred but upset fans for silly reasons. People don't like the fact that this game is so linear but that is not a drawback at all. This game is a story driven RPG it is not a open world do whatever the hell you want. The player follows the path the games makes for them because that is how the story is being told, this isn't the Elder Scrolls. The gameplay itself might sound repetitive, just clicking attack, or magic commands over and over but so it has been in every final fantasy main series. The battles are intriguing and sometimes very challenging. The graphics are beautiful. The characters will feel like you've know them for years and have experience their highs and lows with them, even whiny Vanille. The story itself is awesome and so is this game Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2015
    This game defines the word "polarizing". On the one hand, the combat system, while incredibly different from anything a Final Fantasy game has ever seen before, is very exciting and exhilarating, although it can become repetitive(what rpg isn't though?) On the other hand, the story is such a mess that by the time you get to the cutscenes, you legitimately cannot care. In previous FinalThis game defines the word "polarizing". On the one hand, the combat system, while incredibly different from anything a Final Fantasy game has ever seen before, is very exciting and exhilarating, although it can become repetitive(what rpg isn't though?) On the other hand, the story is such a mess that by the time you get to the cutscenes, you legitimately cannot care. In previous Final Fantasy games, the cutscenes were a "reward". In this one, you find your self hoping characters just shut up already, because everything they say just seems uninteresting or even annoying.

On a personal note- I prefer less linear rpgs, and this one is EXTREMELY disappointing in that regard. By the time you can "mess around", its almost over. And I think this game would have done itself a huge favor by using terms for its alien crystal magicky plot that were easier to follow. The fact that you NEED the glossary to get what everyone is talking about, even 30+ hours in, is a mistake.

That said, the gameplay kept me going, and I was always having fun PLAYING it, especially when I was able to get to the "endgame" options. But aggravating characters, and annoying/confusing story elements drags this down.
  12. Mar 22, 2015
    Final fantasy XIII introduces the newcomer lightning, as she and several other characters attempt to raid the city of cocoon. After destroying the cities core, (and several flashbacks and future insights) you are able to freely roam the world, meeting new members to the group along the way.
  13. Feb 16, 2015
    Worst game I have ever played and I started playing on my Gameboy about 20 years ago.

Annoying characters (especially that emo-crybaby and that wannabe- Paris Hilton- Barbie), horrible and hectical fighting system (why the **** the game ends, when Lightning is defeated, even though there are other characters who could easily revive her?), mega linear maps (basically just one direction- alleyways), annoying music, that repeats itself and repeats itself until your brain goes numb. Besides that the actual game gets interupted with cutscenes every 10 minutes or so, so there is no fluent gameplay at all.

I even enjoyed playing Ride to Hell: Retribution more than this, that game made you laugh at least, while FFXIII just makes me angry as hell. So **** this game, **** it to oblivion.
  14. Feb 6, 2015
    1 of my biggest disapointments in gaming history. What is this the spam sketch from monty python? Spam and eggs, Spam x spam attack spam x spam and look at ur map Spam x spam attack spam and spam bacon and Spam . I will never buy another ff w/o aprehension and any other in this Spam shoot Lightning Spam series.
  15. Feb 6, 2015
    The battle system is great, but the world is lifeless. My first FF was FFVII, and I keep going back to it because you have so much freedom in it. You can travel almost anywhere whenever you like, you can enter houses and talk to NPCs, and many of them not only have interesting things to say but their dialogue also changes depending on where you are in the game's story.

From FFX onward,

From FFX onward, not only have the worlds become increasingly less accessible beyond the scripted track, but Square has increased the recycling of assets: less different NPC designs, and just copy and paste the same ones everywhere. Both of these factors, in my opinion, do more injury to immersion than an incoherent story.
  16. Feb 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FFXIII has no gameplay elements to serve a place in the series, or as a RPG game at all. Although taste is subjective, there are several facts that just show how thin the game is. If one likes the game for being a limited storydriven CGI movie, then there's no arguing. But here's some facts:

- Character customization & building? = Nope, just mash the X button on Crystarium. The stat growth in the tree should be automatic, as there are no choices anyway. The paradigm system is a joke compared to the likes of FFV job system, FFVII materia system and even FFVIII junction system (at least you could build your characters freely on that one)
    - Exploration & item hunting? = Nope, just run the hallway and loot the flying boxes. The game opens up a bit much later on but by that time its too late and too minor to have any impact. There's nothing even close to the sidequests of 1-12. No open world to explore, no hidden caverns beneath the ocean to reveal hidden weapons, no hidden islands behind the map that you only reach with a golden chocobo. There's only the endless hallway. Remember the optional mansion in VII where you needed to unlock the hidden door to reveal a hidden playable character? Well there's no optional places so there can't be optional characters to play with either. Remember the optional battle arenas that when conquered gave you endgame skills and items? There's nothing even close to that.
    - Special attacks, skills, limit breaks or any other form of unique combat? = Nope, there's a "stagger" bar that goes up when you mash the X button long enough, which only makes the characters do more damage, and then you mash X some more. No epic Omnislash, Lionheart or Blitz Ace to save for a difficult boss battle.
    - Unique weapon models? = Nope, they all share the same skin on one charachter. No Masamune, Excalibur, Ultima Weapon and so forth here.
    - Optional bosses that require various strategy to defeat = Not really, although there are optional bosses. However, as they only require you to max grind your characters and then mash the X button there's really no purpose. No Ruby where you have to figure out to have two characthers dead when entering the battle, No Emerald where you need to figure out how to surivive his final attack, No Penance where you need just the correct characters to even have a chance, No dark aeons, No Omega Weapon etc.

There's so little RPG-elements in this game to even call it RPG. It is an interactive (debatable) movie, and whether one likes the story or not is a matter of taste. The graphics and CGI of the game is high quality, but so is the quality of the CGI in the Hobbit movies. No-one is calling those movies RPG-games though.

I'll give the 1 point for the game having no apparent or gamebreaking bugs.
  17. Jan 5, 2015
    Although i feel it was a step back from final fantasy 12 (Due to gameplay mechanic changes), Final fantasy 13 still has the magic of the previous games in terms of atmosphere, story and character development.
    Although the gameplay has become slightly more repetitive with less opportunity for customization as some of the previous final fantasies, but is still solid in it's own right.
  18. Jan 4, 2015
    The CGI was absolutely amazing.
    The musical score was straight up beautiful.
    There's nothing else good I have to say about Final Fantasy XIII. The characters' personalities are bland as can be. The character designs are bland and yet completely over-produced at the same time that just scream that they're trying so hard to look like they're not trying too hard. The story is told quite
    The CGI was absolutely amazing.
    The musical score was straight up beautiful.
    There's nothing else good I have to say about Final Fantasy XIII.
    The characters' personalities are bland as can be.
    The story is told quite possibly worse than any I've ever seen in a video game, and the story itself isn't even good. Basic story telling elements are completely left out and you're given an in-menu encyclopedia to read if you want to know what things are.
    I recommend this game to only the hardest of hardcore fans.
  19. Dec 31, 2014
    bland characters, a crap story that requires you to read through tons of flavour text to even understand it and of course you probably already know that every level is very linear. the only positive thing this game has going for it are its great music and how the cutscenes are very well animated.
  20. Dec 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A solid game, the views are always nice to gaze at when you see them, the character designs are great, and I like the fact that it tried to experiment with different things in the series because no one wants the same game over and over again, especially the battle system. Although the battle system could be polished up a bit, the pace of the matches par with the character's name, "Lightning". Expand
  21. Nov 17, 2014
    Is this game worth your time? Well yes and no.

Alot of people will find the gameplay repetitive and probably boring those who don't usually play JRPG's or aren't fans of the FF Series might not like this game. Gameplay - I admit the gameplay does get a bit repetitive but its still a fun game to play why? Because of the Boss Battles they are exciting and fun and also the Summonings
    Is this game worth your time? Well yes and no.

Gameplay - I admit the gameplay does get a bit repetitive but its still a fun game to play why? Because of the Boss Battles they are exciting and fun and also the Summonings are awesome + the Gameplay gets better as you continue to play.

Graphics - This game has some of the best Graphics on the PS3 it rivals almost every game on the system Arkham City & Origins are probably the only games I can think of with this level of graphics. The Areas in this game look amazing you can just look at some of the areas in the game and just be in awe like wow who drew this ****

Characters - Some people might be like Vanille Snow & Hope are all lame well newsflash they actually are lame. But they all get character development and very good character development. I'll add coolness points to Snow for having some good scenes and to Hope for becoming a man. Lightning is badass Sazh is just being who he is and I like him for that. Fang is another badass. Cid Raines is badass too.

Story - Do I even need to say it? This games story is amazing **** amazing the story kept me playing from start to finish. When you want to figure out why FFXIII is so popular? The reason is because of the story.

Soundtrack - The 2nd best thing in this game is the soundtrack its just as good as the story. The Soundtrack is amazing.

Overall - Everything but the gameplay is amazing. The Gameplay brought something new to the table but its presentation could have been done better, there should have been more abilities for characters and we should have been able to revisit the places we explored already for extra missions and stuff. Other than that I would change nothing about this game its awesome.
  22. Nov 14, 2014
    This is the worst video-game I have ever played in my life. First of all there is no challenge, 90% of the game is just about walking narrow paths and have boring fights with enemies.
    Second the fights are more boring than in previous Final Fantasy games, because the system is doing everything for you. You basically just have to choose a class and the Game is doing the rest of the fight.
    Please don't buy this video-game.
  23. Nov 11, 2014
    FF13 has quickly become one of my favorites in the series. The game is actually challenging and if you don't level your characters up correctly and efficiently, the ending of the game will be near impossible. The combat is very interesting with the Paradigms and having to switch them constantly to survive in battles. Your setup is crucial in boss fights. However, more often than not,FF13 has quickly become one of my favorites in the series. The game is actually challenging and if you don't level your characters up correctly and efficiently, the ending of the game will be near impossible. The combat is very interesting with the Paradigms and having to switch them constantly to survive in battles. Your setup is crucial in boss fights. However, more often than not, you're either hitting auto-attack or switching paradigms and that's all you really do in combat, which is both a pro and a con. I feel as though the combat could have been a bit too challenging had they didn't have you using auto-attack, but also it feels a bit simple regarding that particular aspect of combat. I fell in love with the story of this game and the characters that you encounter. Lighting is one of my all time favorite FF characters as a result of this game and I'm sure that the next 2 games in the lineage will strengthen that. The other characters are extremely interesting as well. The only complaint I have with the actual story is that the start of the game leaves you very confused and you don't begin to completely understand what is going on until a few hours into it, but once you do it is something that is quite spectacular. The world and creatures that inhabit it are beautiful and Square-Enix did an awesome job on everything this game has to offer. Expand
  24. Nov 10, 2014
    Definitely the best in the series, as the story is decent and the fighting is fresh and goes well with the game. The characters for the most part are likeable and the game has an excellent system. Again, you may not like this game as it is extremely linear, but I didn't mind it much. The game is fun and while the game can stall at times, it is still worth playing. On the other hand,Definitely the best in the series, as the story is decent and the fighting is fresh and goes well with the game. The characters for the most part are likeable and the game has an excellent system. Again, you may not like this game as it is extremely linear, but I didn't mind it much. The game is fun and while the game can stall at times, it is still worth playing. On the other hand, the entire FFXIII series falls well short of the previous games in Final Fantasy, which are epic and are must haves. Check them out on the PS store, as they aren't too pricey and are fun, that is if you don't care about graphics and care about great story telling. Expand
  25. Nov 8, 2014
    WOW! what a game! as soon as you begin your adventure into this action packed game you'll find yourself in the middle of a civil war and make your way through it, getting to know the characters and ultimately joining them all into a large party. The game has a leveling up system called the Chrystarium, and it works much like Final Fantasy's X, but you don't need items to actually level upWOW! what a game! as soon as you begin your adventure into this action packed game you'll find yourself in the middle of a civil war and make your way through it, getting to know the characters and ultimately joining them all into a large party. The game has a leveling up system called the Chrystarium, and it works much like Final Fantasy's X, but you don't need items to actually level up the character. The combat system is very different and action packed since you'll constantly be on guard to change your role or paradigm. In the beginning of the game each character has 2 or 3 paradigms but you will eventually be able to master them all with every character although not all character have the same abilities and some get some abilities before others making you think on your feet as you change your party constantly.

You can also level up your weapons and there are a plethora of weapons with all sorts of abilities. The story is a bit confusing in the beginning but it all makes since as the story progresses. The graphics are gorgeous you can expect no less from Square Enix, and the music is very pretty although I found myself not enjoying the game's main theme as much. The game has over 120 hours of game play if you so choose to complete the trophies or Achievements. I recommend it to experienced RPG fans since nebs will find themselves confused with certain aspects of the game.
  26. Nov 6, 2014
    When it takes a good dozen hours of gameplay for a game to "get good" then you know you've got a problem. The graphics are excellent, and score is typically good, but the irritating characters and insane plot dumbfound you for most of the playthrough.
  27. Oct 17, 2014
    This is one of the worst games in the series. If you enjoy running through endless tunnels (this game coined the phrase "ultra-linear"), a combat system that requires next to no user interaction, characters with little depth and a story line you won't care about because you just want the entire affair to end... and STUNNING VISUALS then get the game.

Otherwise don't waste your time or

Otherwise don't waste your time or money... the only reason I played it is because I'm a fan of the franchise.
  28. Oct 14, 2014
    I'm a newcomer to Final Fantasy and generally speaking, I'm caught with mixed emotions towards this entry "XIII". Beautiful graphics and environment, polished character models, and... that's all I could say to the pros of this game. Rather than that, the linear environment is almost unbearable to me, and it gets worse after I find out that some previous installments of the series didI'm a newcomer to Final Fantasy and generally speaking, I'm caught with mixed emotions towards this entry "XIII". Beautiful graphics and environment, polished character models, and... that's all I could say to the pros of this game. Rather than that, the linear environment is almost unbearable to me, and it gets worse after I find out that some previous installments of the series did indeed feature open-world environment. And the first few moments of the story feel like a drag, I couldn't figure out whatever it is going on in the game world, only after spending some time on the datalog did I understand some parts of the events going on in the game. The combat, even if your characters acquire new skills, would get repetitive over time, which combines with the usual pace of running around in confined spaces, engaging some groups of enemies, with no sidequests available would render the total experience repetitive. The only thing that keeps me going is to finish the story, and perhaps to maintain the hope that the game would get better overtime. It has a lot of potential, but could've been executed way better than this. Expand
  29. Oct 7, 2014
    A JRPG aimed at casual players that skips any pretence. FFXIII does not begin well, my first 6 or 7 hours were an internal struggle where I debated putting the game down - I later learned that the first 20 hours would be an increasingly tedious tutorial - all but three of the characters (Fang, Vanille and Sazh) are annoying, angsty, self-absorbed cretins. I suspect this is due to the VAs;A JRPG aimed at casual players that skips any pretence. FFXIII does not begin well, my first 6 or 7 hours were an internal struggle where I debated putting the game down - I later learned that the first 20 hours would be an increasingly tedious tutorial - all but three of the characters (Fang, Vanille and Sazh) are annoying, angsty, self-absorbed cretins. I suspect this is due to the VAs; talented as they are, I did not care for their characterization - watching the Japanese version in action confirmed this. It's fair to say that the game is linear, and like most JRPGs you need to grind the heck out of your characters, FFXIII isn't coy about that though, it throws corridors at you populated with groups of enemies and asks you to slay them all. Sure enough, by the time you've done that you'll have maxed out your Crystarium and can move on to the next stage.If there was one thing I liked, it was the absence of random encounters, and the fact that there's no need to heal or use Phoenix Downs after battles - the game does that for you (yay?) The battle system is decent most of the time, but is obviously aimed at casual players and has taken control out of the hands of the player. Both party members are AI controlled and there is no way to tell them what you want them to do, there is no way to direct an ATB stack in more than one direction (ie: I've stacked 2 Curas, I can't send one to character A and one to character B), if I've got Vanille or Hope in a Medic role, there's no way to use Esuna instead of Cure, this applies to all Paradigms. If a Synergist is in the party, I want Protect, not Haste, but the AI goes out of its way giving you the buffs it thinks it should have. Later battles with three or more challenging enemies are problematic, you can not direct them to attack a single enemy and instead they waste time trading blows with un-staggered units. Everything is done on auto, chances are if your party knows the enemies weaknesses they will act accordingly but a lot of the time the lack of control was frustrating. I don't think I started actually properly enjoying myself until Taejin's Tower (25+ hours in), because there's things to actually do there, and getting through requires input from the player (as opposed to a long corridor). Overall a decent experience, but it feels linear, stripped out and dull a lot of the time. The characters aren't the best, the story is obtuse, the world feels empty, but it looks amazing, even for a four year old 7th gen title. Some of the music is absolutely stunning (does that go without saying with FF games now?) Expand
  30. Sep 22, 2014
    i get what why most fans doesn't like this game, due to it is more linear and no towns, NPCs. still love the new battle system. they could have handled the NPCs better and with towns but the director might have thought where to add those towns, NPC from the story. hence it was done like this. they really borrowed from the previous FF games in terms of character but i think Lightning isi get what why most fans doesn't like this game, due to it is more linear and no towns, NPCs. still love the new battle system. they could have handled the NPCs better and with towns but the director might have thought where to add those towns, NPC from the story. hence it was done like this. they really borrowed from the previous FF games in terms of character but i think Lightning is still a great protagonist. Expand
  31. Sep 21, 2014
    Loseing their touch. They could have been alot better... Feels like a twilight video game... perhaps good for girls? Lost their classic feel and the free-roam came much later and just didnt make up a good final fantasy in the end.
  32. Sep 19, 2014
    I can honestly say this is the worst Final Fantasy game I've ever played.
    - The story was completely broken and made little sense.
    - I personally found the characters to be dull, uninspired and had very little back story.
    - Pacing in the game wasn't very good.
    - You had to go searching the datalogs for any kind of exposition.
    - Visuals were nice though.
  33. Sep 16, 2014
    It is the only Final Fantasy game I have played which gave me the feeling of boredom. It is not a broken game. It is more unfinished / unpolished in many parts. Lets start with the details: The story has many idiotic plot holes and the main characters often made really dumb decisions. The characters are fine for me. Lightning, Hope, Sazh and Serah are good characters (Except for theIt is the only Final Fantasy game I have played which gave me the feeling of boredom. It is not a broken game. It is more unfinished / unpolished in many parts. Lets start with the details: The story has many idiotic plot holes and the main characters often made really dumb decisions. The characters are fine for me. Lightning, Hope, Sazh and Serah are good characters (Except for the mentioned dumb decisions they made). The graphic is some of the best I have seen and is really awesome. The soundtrack is O.K but I miss the Final Fantasy Theme and the Winning Theme. The new battle system was a bad idea. As many people I want direct control for all my party members instead of roles. The leveling system is useless. There are no choices in this system. A simple level up message would be sufficient. Also the system prevents you from leveling up until you make a certain progress in the story. In nearly all rpgs you can level up when the normal / boss battles were too difficult. But my final complaint is the lack of side quests / side activities. Final Fantasy games had a lot of optional stuff / side quests. Here there is nearly nothing. Most of the game is an endless hallway. Overall I would avoid this game and switch to better rpgs Expand
  34. Sep 16, 2014
    I'm writing this out of pure shock from the FF fanbase. When I first picked up FFXIII, it was because I needed to try a new series. I had recently been playing Skyrim a lot, and I saw this on E-Bay for a cheap price. I'd decided to do some research on it first, and found out it was an JRPG. It had a 8.6 metacritic score. It seemed pretty good. Then I came across the countless forum postsI'm writing this out of pure shock from the FF fanbase. When I first picked up FFXIII, it was because I needed to try a new series. I had recently been playing Skyrim a lot, and I saw this on E-Bay for a cheap price. I'd decided to do some research on it first, and found out it was an JRPG. It had a 8.6 metacritic score. It seemed pretty good. Then I came across the countless forum posts directed at the game, and wow, what a bunch of whiny, spoilt brats complaining about the game. This totally put me off buying it because people wouldn't stop **** about it's linearity and nonsencical story. After a couple of months, I'd completely forgot about it, then I saw it in-shop a couple of months later. And I said **** it' because it was really cheap and I was going to buy it someday anyway. I went home. I played it. I literally played it for 2 days straight because I fell in love with it. I'll admit it, I have a relationship with this game because it's so good. It's so good that I recently found myself watching the 'movie' version on Youtube. It was 9 hours. It'd been 2 years since I last played it, and I'm so glad I refreshed myself of it.
    I just need to list a few reasons why this is a fantastic game:
    1. The story. It's different, that's what I love about it. The main charachter isn't your usual JRPG whiny teenager (even though thats a charachter in the story), it's a hardass, which I will admit is risky, but it worked. Maybe directing the central charachter at someone else wouldn't off because they weren't as emotionless. EMOTIONLESS, you say? Why, why oh why would you want an emotionless charachter? So you can build on it. There are loads of questions to be asked, opposed to someone who explained their life story in the first 1 minute. All you see in the first 1 minute of this game is Lightning fighting her way through a train, and into this gorgrous city. That's all you need to know so far; she's a badass. That's enough to get you hooked (unless you don't like that kind of stuff, in that case, stop reading).
    Now, the story. The main focus is it's cast. And, boy, do I love the cast. Now, I do have complaints. Hope. It's a pretentious name, I admit, but I expected him to have an interesting backstory. Instead he just complains about everything. Not that interesting. But on the other side, the rest of the cast is interesting and in some places relatable. You have Vanille, a perky 20-something? 13? 20? Who knows. Anyway, her accent is a little confusing sometimes (Italian, American)? But her backstory makes up for it. She has relations with a charachter you meet later on in the story, which makes her very important. She was born on Pulse, unlike everyone else, and she was a l'Cie, until she got turned to crystal. You see, this makes up for her flaws. And she's a love/hate person, so don't go in thinking you'll love her. Personally, she's my favorite out of all of them.
    Then you have Sazh, who you meet at the start. He is relatable because he's always questioning everything. And if I were in that situation, that's what I would be doing. Other than that, he is a fantastic charachter. He is again related to Vanille in some way, and another peroson we meet later on who has a major connection to Vanille and her friend; bringing those two together (why they have a section together).
    Then, Snow. Your hero. You need these in every story so someone has something to complain about (Hope). "Oh, you're the hero, everybody look at me!" Hope says, realizing that that's what Snow is exactly doing. He knows he's the hero. That's what makes him the non-typical hero. His mission is to save his fiance, Serah, a l'Cie who to turned to crystal. His story is interesting and so is his bold personality.
    Then, Fang. She comes in later into the story, and has connections with Vanille. You could say she's a bit of a hero, but I like to think of her as just brave, as she doesn't really have a mission of sorts, opposse to Snow. She's okay.
    Then the story, to accomadate the cast. All of these people, exclding fang, get turned to l'Cie. Then, they must fight against the government, as l'Cie are evry feared. This is a good contrast to real world; how people with unknown power should be feared, when they can just be normal. Then, they go up against Barthandelus, a corrupt leader who is a l'Cie himself. You fight him 3 times in the game. From there, you must journey through populated cities, to Gran Pulse, a greenland.

2. The Gameplay. Yes, people say it's just push one button and go, but see how that works out if you do it the entire game. There is stratergy involved. Pshh.

I loved it.
  35. Sep 10, 2014
    Final Fantasy XIII commits some sins for sure. The game has large stretches of extremely linear level design, and does not attempt much to hide the fact. The cast is likely the most uninteresting, unlikeable cast I have seen in a Final Fantasy game. Those facts (at the very least, well informed opinions) out of the way, this is still an enjoyable game with many qualities to like. TheFinal Fantasy XIII commits some sins for sure. The game has large stretches of extremely linear level design, and does not attempt much to hide the fact. The cast is likely the most uninteresting, unlikeable cast I have seen in a Final Fantasy game. Those facts (at the very least, well informed opinions) out of the way, this is still an enjoyable game with many qualities to like. The visuals and the music are easily the most polished in the series (again, well informed opinions...). With a few tweaks (no auto battle, less obvious linearity) this could be up there with the best of the Final Fantasy games. Is it the worst Final Fantasy? Probably. Is it still a good game, worth playing? Yes, definitely. Ignore the overblown criticism and try it out. Expand
  36. Jul 16, 2014
    This games gets a 2 for being technically functional, that's the best I can say about it. Final Fantasy XIII Is an insult to the franchises heritage and an obvious lazy cash-in by Square Enix who've clearly given up long ago.

Gameplay wise, there really isn't any. The game isn't just linear, it's a straight f*cking line. You walk down a corridor for about 80 hours, that's it. There are no towns, no NPCs, no side quests, no exploration, no collectibles, no intrigue... nothing. Crash Bandicoot is less linear than this game. Add in that character customisation is a joke, and combat is so convoluted that you can win everything without even paying attention and you have the most boring game ever. The first 40 hours is a tutorial explaining how the game plays itself, which you can ignore as you can win all the combat by just mashing the X button for the most part. Some people claim the combat opens up in the late game but that's simply not true, it's still just as broken then and once Lightning learns the move 'Army Of One' you can pretty much kill anything through a combination of poisoning and using that one move. There's more tactical decision-making in tic-tac-toe.

So what about the story? What story?! What passes for a narrative is only explained through hidden away data longs that you're not prompted to read, and even with this mountain of poorly written exposition, the story is still an incomprehensible mess with plot holes you could drive a plane through, inconsistencies as standard, character motivations that make no sense, and a world setting that's not explained or explored in any way; mainly because you never actually go there because you never leave the damn corridor.

This is a painfully bad game, don't waste your time on it.
  37. Jun 12, 2014
    Although the game seemed boring from time to time, with pointless overacting dialogs, it's a great game overall, like each FF.
    Graphics are beautiful, as well as the soundtrack, story could be somewhat more interesting but what the hell.
    What I liked a lot was the new battle system, even if it seems stolen from the Grandia serial. I see that people argue about its linearity...I didn't
    I see that people argue about its linearity...I didn't mind it, as long as the rest is nicely done.
    Anyway, for all of you planning to play it, if you liked FFX, you'll like this one as well.
  38. Jun 2, 2014
    I think FFXIII is the worst RPG I ever played. Why ? Well, the story-telling is AWFUL. Not a single character explains anything about the universe, and the reason why the Big Bad want to destroy the world (no spoilers, it's a JRPG) is only explained in a sub-entry inside the game's Codex. The Paradigm Shift system destroys all the preparation of a job-based RPG, since you can change jobsI think FFXIII is the worst RPG I ever played. Why ? Well, the story-telling is AWFUL. Not a single character explains anything about the universe, and the reason why the Big Bad want to destroy the world (no spoilers, it's a JRPG) is only explained in a sub-entry inside the game's Codex. The Paradigm Shift system destroys all the preparation of a job-based RPG, since you can change jobs during a fight. The characters are all annoying. don't buy this game. Seriously. Expand
  39. May 30, 2014
    Final Fantasy XIII can summed up with two words; pretentious and lack-luster.

Graphics were technically good, but mechanical, failing to produce an atmosphere. The game play was incredibly linear, driven along by a story which acted more like a train headed to Auschwitz, than an adventure. The combat in the game was the most disappoint aspect of this game for me, there was no skill
    Final Fantasy XIII can summed up with two words; pretentious and lack-luster.

The combat in the game was the most disappoint aspect of this game for me, there was no skill involved, it was as though the developer thought their audience had lost all ability to play video games, and that they were starting with a group wholly unfamiliar with the concept of gaming.

I hope that this game goes down in history as one of the worst games ever made.
  40. May 5, 2014
    Final Fantasy XIII felt like a punch to the face for some old school Final Fantasy fans like myself. Final Fantasy characters, although fantasy, used to be relatable. Sorry to get sidetracked; in FF7, Cloud never achieved his dream and coped with this throughout the game. He stole someone else's identity, he broke down, and eventually accepted this and recovered. Cloud was a complexFinal Fantasy XIII felt like a punch to the face for some old school Final Fantasy fans like myself. Final Fantasy characters, although fantasy, used to be relatable. Sorry to get sidetracked; in FF7, Cloud never achieved his dream and coped with this throughout the game. He stole someone else's identity, he broke down, and eventually accepted this and recovered. Cloud was a complex character with flaws; I believe that is a huge reason FF7 was so successful and critically acclaimed. The majority of characters in XIII were shallow and one note. Everyone seemed like they had one singular reason to carry on with the story. This story became bland very fast. There is very little exploration, meaning that the story was critical to pull off; sadly this was not the case. The main reason I am writing the negative review is that this was the first Final Fantasy game that was released that just didn't seem very much like a Final Fantasy game to me at all. Sure, FF12 was a huge departure from where the series started, at least I could understand these changes (although, I felt like FF12 was a way to shift the console fan-base to their MMO's for more profit). Many of the decisions in XIII simply confuse me. There was very little redeeming value here. Lost Odyssey felt more like a Final Fantasy game than this one. Expand
  41. Apr 23, 2014
    I can not say bad words for Final Fantasy XIII,because of really good story. Graphic is amazing,and combat is great,not perfect,but great. Ok,lets be honest and say,you have linear path and you are limited in exploration,but this is Final Fantasy,not some open world MMO.If you want exploration play Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn. I have 100+ hours and i must say that i really enjoyedI can not say bad words for Final Fantasy XIII,because of really good story. Graphic is amazing,and combat is great,not perfect,but great. Ok,lets be honest and say,you have linear path and you are limited in exploration,but this is Final Fantasy,not some open world MMO.If you want exploration play Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn. I have 100+ hours and i must say that i really enjoyed playing this game. This title definitely worth the money and you can't go wrong with FF XIII. On the end you will feel sad because you finished the game and you could play it atleast 50 more hours. But you know what they say.Everything that is good,last short. Expand
  42. Apr 12, 2014
    This game was absolutely horrible. It took me a year to get through because the first time I played it, I had to put it down for MONTHS on end because it was so bad. The dialogue is predictable and boring, the story, while it HAD potential, feels like it's nothing more than something a sixth-grader might come up with in their creative writing class. By the end of the game, the entire thingThis game was absolutely horrible. It took me a year to get through because the first time I played it, I had to put it down for MONTHS on end because it was so bad. The dialogue is predictable and boring, the story, while it HAD potential, feels like it's nothing more than something a sixth-grader might come up with in their creative writing class. By the end of the game, the entire thing devolves into one big cliche, each character boiling down to nothing more than the few idioms they seem to know. It's also very tunnel-visioned; there's no room to roam around, the game just feels like one long corridor where you go from one cinematic to the next, with little to nothing in between. The battles are endless, and while it is definitely a pretty game, that seems to be all that it has going for it. Expand
  43. Apr 2, 2014
    Story was a little hard to understand at first, over time you start to understand it(maybe if you try really hard). The story is decent, but I wasn't quite all the way captivated like in some previous final fantasies. Beautiful graphics and the battle system is as well(basically they took the classic way of battling and made it more realistic, and added a little of 10 and 12 into it too.),Story was a little hard to understand at first, over time you start to understand it(maybe if you try really hard). The story is decent, but I wasn't quite all the way captivated like in some previous final fantasies. Beautiful graphics and the battle system is as well(basically they took the classic way of battling and made it more realistic, and added a little of 10 and 12 into it too.), though you can't control your teammates all the way in battle. Most things they do on their own. Allies are limited sometimes because of this, and limits(special moves) of characters are not as useful to me as they had been in the past. Cloud, Squall, and Tidus'specials took out a ton more damage in comparison. Challenging battles though, mainly toward the middle going to end. Summoning battle system is very nice(it's new but pretty cool.). Side quests are challenging and they are many. But that is IF you only like hunting marks. There isn't anything thing else to the sidequests. It's better than okay yet it lacks that enjoyable feeling you get from adventuring(meeting different people in different towns etc.) in previous final fantasies. Expand
  44. Mar 25, 2014
    Completely linear, with no choice character in the group, some charismatic characters, lightning is the only one who is saved, but I think a cheap clone cloud, engaging story but then bored.
    only positive is the system combat.
  45. Mar 20, 2014
    Sure enough the game isn't for everyone but why not try and enjoy it. Some people say that everything is bad about it but the visuals and soundtrack is great. the story-line is gripping. Sure the fighting moments are kind of bad but look past that. Look at every positive thing about it. my opinion is to get the game, i think it is good.
  46. Mar 20, 2014
    FFXIII is a very repetitive game. At very few times i found it fun for the sake of gameplay. And that is the combats fault. It´s to repetitive and for the first half of the game u basicaly mash one button in manny battles lasts forever aswell as its undramatic. Fighting, running around enviroments and watch cutscenes is what u do in this game, Usualy that is not a problem for me but iFFXIII is a very repetitive game. At very few times i found it fun for the sake of gameplay. And that is the combats fault. It´s to repetitive and for the first half of the game u basicaly mash one button in manny battles lasts forever aswell as its undramatic. Fighting, running around enviroments and watch cutscenes is what u do in this game, Usualy that is not a problem for me but i found running around the enviroments thte creative and beautiful, at times spectacular inviroments and watch cutscenes more interesting.

Aswell as that FFXIII has a soundtrack that u hear when running around the world and during cutsceenes that is great but not to often, all you hear is Combat Theme trough every fight. Great estetics, poor gameplay
  47. Mar 19, 2014
    this game is good but it has some down fulls one is the characters are a bit of a let down to the newly found series. it has very nice grapics on the ps3 that ive currently got and so far the game has never really cut out on me.
  48. Mar 13, 2014
    The extreme linearity and sloppy plot did indeed bother me, but I am the kind of gamer who can patiently sit through linearity as long as it opens up at some point. When I got to the open world I really started to enjoy the game, especially with the monster hunt missions. The combat can feel disengaging because of the Auto-Battle, but I just changed the settings to make the cursor alwaysThe extreme linearity and sloppy plot did indeed bother me, but I am the kind of gamer who can patiently sit through linearity as long as it opens up at some point. When I got to the open world I really started to enjoy the game, especially with the monster hunt missions. The combat can feel disengaging because of the Auto-Battle, but I just changed the settings to make the cursor always appear on Abilities and it actually made the game feel much more strategic. Square Enix made a really good choice with designing the characters, especially Lightning who in my opinion has the best looking outfit in Final Fantasy history. Lastly, the graphics, visuals, and background art were outstanding. I sometimes found myself stopping in the middle of a level just to pan the camera around and enjoy the view. Haters, say to me what you want, but Final Fantasy 13 to me was definitely worth my money. Expand
  49. Mar 3, 2014
    its crap, this is not a true final fantasy, its a movie that make believes its a game, if you are looking for a great game go and pull up the PS network and grab some on the older games in the series.
  50. Feb 28, 2014
    Enter, a refreshing new female heroine, reminiscent of your previous cool aloof mains from the other titles, Lightning is very much like Cloud and Squall/Leon with their cold shoulder personality and military backgrounds.

Characters are varied and typical of the franchise. Their responses are typical but that what makes it the signature Final Fantasy game. Some personality changes occur a bit too quickly for comfort but this isn't a huge game breaker as you spend much more of the game utilising the new combat system.

This game introduces the new battle system, although many people say pressing 'A' will play the game for you, I disagree. This mechanic requires the player to chain abilities with the use of particular damage classes such as the Ravager or the Commando - a system which hasn't been implemented in the other games. The new instantaneous switching between roles provides relief as it doesn't take as long as some changes in other games (FFX-2 Dress-spheres for instance which took one turn each time you changed).

It brings clearly defined roles to your party which can be set in the options according to your likes. Various characters are more suited towards particular classes such as Lightning - Ravager/Commando, Snow - Sentinel/Commando and so forth. There are Ultimate items as there has been in some titles but they require some crafting to be created.

Storyline is not the best but it is interesting, the race created by the Gods, fal'Cie, and then those who are chosen by the fal'Cie. Those who are chosen, the l'Cie' are given a task called the 'Focus'. You explore Lightnings home 'city' the Cocoon, before venturing to the rumoured hell: Gran Pulse. Although somewhat linear you do explore areas and grind as you do in the usual games although you're just on a shorter leash this time.

Music is quite a pleasure to listen to, a bit more modern than the usual fare. Reason being a new composer on the block. The graphics are amazing and most actions are seamless and smooth - what I'd expect from Square Enix's quality of work.

Bottom line: it is a game typical of the FF universe, some interesting implementations that seem to be a hit or miss with its audience at times. It is of personal opinion in most cases. The combat system is definitely very interesting to use, it may take some time getting used to. Game play is the usual. Storyline isn't up to the usual standard. Graphics is top notch. Interesting characters and a satisfying ending. Not for all but it is all for some.
  51. Feb 27, 2014
    As a long time FF fan I was really looking forward to this game when it was first released. FF XII was a huge disappointment so I was expecting that this game would definitely be an improvement. Sadly, I was wrong. I could not adjust to any of the characters at all. I played this game for 40 hours, didn't finish it and the only character I started to like after several hours was Lightning,As a long time FF fan I was really looking forward to this game when it was first released. FF XII was a huge disappointment so I was expecting that this game would definitely be an improvement. Sadly, I was wrong. I could not adjust to any of the characters at all. I played this game for 40 hours, didn't finish it and the only character I started to like after several hours was Lightning, once she stopped acting like a total b*tch. One character is total pointless to the story, and the other characters just don't make sense. Years later I found out that if I had kept playing, there would have been a turn in the story and all the characters (except for the earlier mentioned one) would have made sense. but I never reached that point. Maybe I got spoiled by FF VII, IX and X which I played when I was quite younger, but FF XIII was easily the worst I have played. Anyways, I can recommend to give FF XIII-2 and Lightning Returns a shot! You don't really need to finish the first game to get the main plot because unsurprisingly they manage to summarize the whole story of FF XIII in a few sentences during the beginning of second game. Expand
  52. Ogr
    Feb 26, 2014
    Seriously, is this a joke? It's not only the worst Final Fantasy ever, it might be the worst RPG on PS3 and 360. How could things go so wrong for SE? A poor world, poor Story, poor Gameplay and poor Characters. Just nothing really good about it. Sounds like trolling or nerd-rage, but it's just how I really see it.
  53. Feb 21, 2014
    This game was an unfortunate attempt to pander to the LCD of gamers. I have (a slipping) faith in Square Enix, and like to see merit in most anything they produce. Still as a longstanding fan of the Final Fantasy series, and after waiting for years for something to come out after FFXII, this came, at the very least, as a disappointment to me. To me, what makes an RPG good: round, humanThis game was an unfortunate attempt to pander to the LCD of gamers. I have (a slipping) faith in Square Enix, and like to see merit in most anything they produce. Still as a longstanding fan of the Final Fantasy series, and after waiting for years for something to come out after FFXII, this came, at the very least, as a disappointment to me. To me, what makes an RPG good: round, human characters that are able to be identified with; an intricate story that is mysterious (not confusing!); the ability to customize characters; a sort of real-world verisimilitude (shops, inns, money); a requirement for a player to carefully consider his game-play actions that is challenging yet manageable; and an extensive world that allows for exploring and revisitation. FFXIII had very little of these qualities. The story was hardly engaging for me (I didn't give a damn about the l'Cie and that... and I still don't know what Orphan is all about?); the characters were distant and a player doesn't really get to see enough of them to begin to identify with them (Yeah, Lightning, you're an icy wench, we get it); and the biggest irritation was the game play, specifically the battles, which is supposed to be the part where the gamer has most control and actually "plays" was simply a holding down of a singular button to continually select "auto-battle." It wasn't fun, and will probably only be remembered to me as the worst FF game I've ever played. Expand
  54. Feb 16, 2014
    Do yourself a favor... stop caring about graphics and go play FF7,FF8,FF9.

This game was a huge let down...but I expected this after FF10. This isn't a Final Fantasy Game, they should give it a new name. 1. No overworld map 2. Unlovable characters 3. Overly Feminine characters, Emos everywhere 4. Overly complex story that doesn't make any sense Basically, this game lacks the
    Do yourself a favor... stop caring about graphics and go play FF7,FF8,FF9.

This game was a huge let down...but I expected this after FF10.

This isn't a Final Fantasy Game, they should give it a new name.

1. No overworld map
    2. Unlovable characters
    3. Overly Feminine characters, Emos everywhere
    4. Overly complex story that doesn't make any sense

Basically, this game lacks the atmosphere of the previous FF series... it doesn't have the Charm anymore.

Rule #1 of FF games: You must have an outstanding Story and the Main characters must be EPIC.... "lightning" lol what a joke.
  55. Feb 11, 2014
    This game is an insult to fans and an insult to anybody who bother to pay for this absolute trivial excuse for a game.
    Final Fantasy is horribly written, has terrible combat and does everything in it's power to make you hate the experience.
  56. Feb 11, 2014
    The improved combat system and graphics is the only thing that this game got going for. The active time-based combat system is truly thrilling. Battles are more fast-paced and action-oriented. The graphics is breathtaking, from the moment you start playing. It's truly one of the best looking games of this generation. But the game is bogged down by the game's linear gameplay and weak story.The improved combat system and graphics is the only thing that this game got going for. The active time-based combat system is truly thrilling. Battles are more fast-paced and action-oriented. The graphics is breathtaking, from the moment you start playing. It's truly one of the best looking games of this generation. But the game is bogged down by the game's linear gameplay and weak story. The story is typically about a heroine and her team trying to save the world, not exactly the best they've come up with. The gameplay is just fight monster, fight boss, fight monster, fight boss, fight monster, fight boss throughout most of the game. There are 13 chapters so I would say about 10 chapters is basically the game on autopilot, you're constantly doing the same thing and you're constantly moving forward. All you can do is complete the game, there's nothing else to do after and during the game. You're free to explore, fight and obtain Platinum but there's no side stories or puzzles or anything like that which makes exploration pointless. In previous FF games, you're free to take a break from the main story to complete a series of side quests. None of that is presented in this game so it's likely that I'll never play this game, after completing it, again. A good game overall, but it doesn't do justice for the best JRPG franchise. Avoid if you're uninitiated but give the previous games a go because you're missing out. For fans, it's worth a rental! Expand
  57. Jan 28, 2014
    this game has amazing graphics. while some of the characters are dull and can be really annoying the overall story is nice. the combat system is nice, with the exception of switching paradigms. when you switch paradigms in the game it takes several seconds in real time, which gets frustrating. another thing that bothers me is that you don't receive gil (currency) in battle, which isthis game has amazing graphics. while some of the characters are dull and can be really annoying the overall story is nice. the combat system is nice, with the exception of switching paradigms. when you switch paradigms in the game it takes several seconds in real time, which gets frustrating. another thing that bothers me is that you don't receive gil (currency) in battle, which is annoying as well. however, the music, especially the battle music, is amazing. Expand
  58. Jan 27, 2014
    Final Fantasy 13 is nothing less than pure garbage. It spits on the foundation of RPGs as we know them. It's linear, enough said. Final Fantasy is never linear. There is no customization that doesn't involve formations. I heard that it gets good, but when you've played through 20 hours of boring x-mashing gameplay, and you've just now gotten the entire party together, you say F**K THIS!Final Fantasy 13 is nothing less than pure garbage. It spits on the foundation of RPGs as we know them. It's linear, enough said. Final Fantasy is never linear. There is no customization that doesn't involve formations. I heard that it gets good, but when you've played through 20 hours of boring x-mashing gameplay, and you've just now gotten the entire party together, you say F**K THIS! The characters are bland, the story sucks, and is hard to follow because it's so boring. There is one path, gear is the last thing on your mind, enemies are forgettable. The only thing you remember about the bosses is how long they took. You just mash x, sometimes use a potion, and wait to stagger it. The summons are nothing more than transformers. But that brings me to another point. Why does the main black character dual wield guns, have a summon that transforms into a car, and has a chocobo living in his afro? Why does Square think this is a good game, and give it TWO sequels? Seeing Lightning in Cloud's costume, is a disgrace to the series' former glory. Don't buy this, or the sequels, and if you have any of these games, trash them. They're a waste of time and money. Expand
  59. Jan 21, 2014
    Not horrible, but not good either. Extreme linearity with no attempt at all to hide it. Long stretches of copy pasted corridors with no plot development to pad the run time. No freedom for the player in terms of how they level up (FFX and XII) did it much better. Everything about this game screams handholding. You are not allowed to level up too fast (due to level caps for each chapter),Not horrible, but not good either. Extreme linearity with no attempt at all to hide it. Long stretches of copy pasted corridors with no plot development to pad the run time. No freedom for the player in terms of how they level up (FFX and XII) did it much better. Everything about this game screams handholding. You are not allowed to level up too fast (due to level caps for each chapter), you are not allowed to get lost, except with the story. The story is told horribly. With long stretches of not knowing what the hell is going on, things are explained long after they should be and by the end we still don't know the true motivations of the antagonists (SPOILER: they are suicidal, BUT WHY ARE THEY SUICIDAL?). The only thing that kept me playing was the promise it got better in the end and the battle system. Does it get better in the end? For a short period, yes. Chapter 11 gives you a land to explore and sidequests to complete. However the sidequests are very linear (go to location, kill boss, get next quest) with a lot of running around getting from starting location, to boss, to next quest giver, to boss, repeat 60 times. Then for chapters 12 and 13 it is back to the mind numbing linearity and repeating corridors. I feel like this game was made by either an entirely new team or was made to 'appeal to a wider audience,' the type of people who don't understand traditional RPG's. And it shows with the incredibly high and undeserved metacritic score this game has that they were successful. If you are reading this to determine whether you should play this or not, take heed of my warning. It is not worth it. Expand
  60. Jan 15, 2014
    This is one of the worst games I have ever played. How in God's name it has a 7.7 user score on this site is completely beyond me.

I've heard it said that it gets better towards the end, but something this bad can't be redeemed, regardless of how it ends. Every character is a pathetic cliche. The battle system is rigid, formulaic, tedious and repetitive. In fact, that describes the

Every character is a pathetic cliche. The battle system is rigid, formulaic, tedious and repetitive. In fact, that describes the entire game--a 10-20 minute jaunt through poorly-balanced, often unavoidable encounters against a handful of boring enemies followed by a cut-scene, ad infinitum, all in one giant straight line from point A to point B. I was bored after 30 minutes of this.

The graphics earn it 2 points, even though the hand all look like turds. The fact that they released this game to the public as it is means they aren't even trying anymore. The fact that they are making this cesspool a trilogy means something is horribly wrong with the world.
  61. Jan 14, 2014
    Final Fantasy 13 was a good game but it wasn't great. I enjoyed the story very much but constantly fighting the same creatures to level up wasn't that exciting.
  62. Jan 9, 2014
    Let's be honest, the crux of the Final Fantasy games are its stories. FFXIII has to have one of the worst stories of any game I’ve played let alone one that is meant to be a major blockbuster. It is overly confusing and convoluted that no one I talked to has any idea what is going on. Some have even tried writing down plot points into a note pad and are still baffled as to the storyline.Let's be honest, the crux of the Final Fantasy games are its stories. FFXIII has to have one of the worst stories of any game I’ve played let alone one that is meant to be a major blockbuster. It is overly confusing and convoluted that no one I talked to has any idea what is going on. Some have even tried writing down plot points into a note pad and are still baffled as to the storyline.

Naturally, a bad story leads to awful characters. This is partly true. A few characters are memorable: Lightning and Fang, a few that just occupy space: Vanille and Sazh, and a few that are completely irritating: Snow and Hope. This volatility is a theme of how this game’s production is. With a series that has brought us Sephiroth and Auron, the characters are generally forgettable.

I know Final Fantasy games can be cutscene heavy, but it almost felt as if you were playing between cutscenes at many times. One of the biggest complaints is its linearity. I personally didn’t find this to be a problem. It does open up slightly in the latter parts of the game.

One of XIII’s strengths is that it just feels fluid and polished. The smooth graphics, the quick and stylish UI, and has hands-down the best battling system. For me, this game’s saving grace was its battling system. Battles never felt like a chore and kept me interested in the game despite an awful story.

As a Final Fantasy game, it is a letdown. If viewing in isolation, it is a decent RPG. Despite its many shortcomings, it only took me like a week to get through the 60+ hours of gameplay, a marathon only a few games have warranted.
  63. Dec 29, 2013
    The game's playing itself Jon. The games just playing itself Jon. THE GAMES JUST JON JON JUUUSSAHHHHAHA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahhghbhnhn AHGHAGHNM SAHHWNEUYHUU GGEHH WMEMWNNANH EHEH AHT HWP JUSY APPLAYIG NANFMMAN HHHAJ OON JO N
  64. Dec 28, 2013
    I had this game since release and it took me this long to complete it. Not from lack of trying but a general lack of interest. I finally sat down and decided to beat it and came across the realization that I had really missed out on something fun in the end. I wasn't bothered by the apparent linearity (most FF games are pretty linear if you realize it or not) or the characters (althoughI had this game since release and it took me this long to complete it. Not from lack of trying but a general lack of interest. I finally sat down and decided to beat it and came across the realization that I had really missed out on something fun in the end. I wasn't bothered by the apparent linearity (most FF games are pretty linear if you realize it or not) or the characters (although Hope was pretty annoying at the start) but I just didn't have the energy to continue it at first. Once I dug into it, I found an enjoyable experience as the action and pace kicked up and characters stopped being a little you know what (Hope).
    My biggest problem is that the final boss battles were a joke. It was entirely too easy to me, but it may have been due to all the grinding I had done beforehand. Hitting the end credits, I was still satisfied with my adventure but mildly disappointed by that final string of battles.
    Overall a good experience. Way better than the trash that was FF12, but nowhere near the best Final Fantasy titles (like 4).
  65. Dec 28, 2013
    While it's easy for me to see why people don't like this game, I honestly loved it. In many ways, it was perfect for the mind-state I was in and the amount of time I had during the day to play it. Great graphics, distinct character designs, INCREDIBLE soundtrack, and the kind of storyline that I really like that involves normal people fighting against an unjust fate. For gameplay, IWhile it's easy for me to see why people don't like this game, I honestly loved it. In many ways, it was perfect for the mind-state I was in and the amount of time I had during the day to play it. Great graphics, distinct character designs, INCREDIBLE soundtrack, and the kind of storyline that I really like that involves normal people fighting against an unjust fate. For gameplay, I thought it struck a great balance between simplicity and strategy that is fast and rewarding...coupled with the linear nature of the game, you get battles that are never too easy, sometimes too hard, but always intense.

As a game experience, this one was perfect for me and ranks among my favorite games of all time. This is all in the face of thinking I wouldn't like this game (based on how much trash people talk about it), but I took a chance and was rewarded immeasurably. Too bad the sequels go overboard on the crazier aspects of the FFXIII universe lore, and lose the human element. Oh well.
  66. Dec 27, 2013
    The worst part of the Final Fantasy series ever. The game is just boring. I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, but I'm completely disappointed. Music is weak, what surprising, since each part of the FF can boast a fine soundtrack. Gameplay worse. Just constantly press the X button and directional buttons. The game is very linear. Characters are boring too, without expression No mapThe worst part of the Final Fantasy series ever. The game is just boring. I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, but I'm completely disappointed. Music is weak, what surprising, since each part of the FF can boast a fine soundtrack. Gameplay worse. Just constantly press the X button and directional buttons. The game is very linear. Characters are boring too, without expression No map of the world is a huge minus. The only plus is the graphics and cut scenes, but the locations are boring for me. The title has sold so well probably only because we all flew to the magic of the series. I also I regret. Expand
  67. Dec 10, 2013
    Jim Sterling from Destructoid called this game a “pompous and masturbatory affair, creating seemingly to promote the developer’s ego first, and the player’s enjoyment second”. Speaking as someone who has been a rabid fan of the series since the very first one on the NES, I’ll say two things: Jim is exactly right, and playing this game broke my heart.

The one and only positive I can give

The one and only positive I can give FF13 is that it has gorgeous visuals. That’s what the 2-score in my review is for. It fails in every other category so badly that it feels like some other company trying to make a knock-off FF game (think Sony’s Legend of Dragoon for PS1) rather than an officially sactioned entry into the series. It doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as classics like IV, VI, VII, or X. It’s unbelievable that Squeenix is granting an unprecedented two sequels to this game while utterly ignoring, for years on end, pleas from their fans to do a modern-day remake of 7, 6 or even 5.

Why is it so bad? Let me count the ways. First of all, the story is weird & stupid. I stopped caring about it early on and didn’t like any of the characters. Secondly, there is practically no exploration. Almost the entire game is a brutally linear affair, and I mean that quite literally as areas tend to shuffle you through a completely straight path. No exploring towns, no buying weapons from the weapon shop, no hidden dungeon areas with secret chests, etc. Things finally open up at one point, but not for 30 or 40 hours or so and even then, it’s a relatively small environment that is boring to travel through. The music, usually a dependable staple of the series, is terrible as well. I mean, they put words in the chocobo song. Good grief, why? There isn’t a single memorable track.

Gameplay is terrible, as well. There’s not a whole lot of thinking involved and it almost plays itself. The summoning system is truly bizarre (I did a facepalm when I saw the Shiva motorcycle; seriously, WTF is that about?) and the worst the series has ever seen. I played this game for a good, long while, about 75% through, before giving up on it in disgust. To give you some idea of how bad this game is, I didn’t care much at all for the story of FF12, either, but I still had fun with it. FF13 never gave me a moment of enjoyment. The entire package is dull & uninspired and I’m sorry to have wasted money on it.
  68. Nov 27, 2013
    Boasting stunning graphics, many gamers will easily be swayed to believe that XIII is the best Final Fantasy has to offer. However, the game is just too freaking long. When I asked fanboys "dude wtf this sucks isn't there a world map? when does it get decent?" they have acutally responded "aw man dude don't worry keep on chuggin it gets really awesome at about the 30 hour mark". I don'tBoasting stunning graphics, many gamers will easily be swayed to believe that XIII is the best Final Fantasy has to offer. However, the game is just too freaking long. When I asked fanboys "dude wtf this sucks isn't there a world map? when does it get decent?" they have acutally responded "aw man dude don't worry keep on chuggin it gets really awesome at about the 30 hour mark". I don't want to wade through 30 hours of absolute cringe to get to something good. What really drives this home is how freaking annoying the characters are. Lightning is supposed to be cool and brooding, but mainly just comes off as square weakly attempting to emulate cloud with added fanservice. The battle system is ok to begin with, but they get far too long and the fact that my party is healed after every battle unexplainably is disgusting. Every thing I loved about Final Fantasy has been thrown down the drain. But still, pretty graphics! ooh shiny Expand
  69. Nov 27, 2013
    XIII is a reinvention of the franchise, many fans don't like it precisely because, it's different and they don't like change, i love innovation and when franchises dare to go out of their comfort zone and do something different it's amazing, SE did that, and we got FF XIII, a completely new experience in the franchise that perhaps may not be as well receivred, but it's worthy of the FinalXIII is a reinvention of the franchise, many fans don't like it precisely because, it's different and they don't like change, i love innovation and when franchises dare to go out of their comfort zone and do something different it's amazing, SE did that, and we got FF XIII, a completely new experience in the franchise that perhaps may not be as well receivred, but it's worthy of the Final Fantasy title Expand
  70. Nov 26, 2013
    tldr XIII's concept of a beautiful gem that just happened to be covered in a steaming pile of fecal matter by whoever "assisted" with its development that almost completely obscures the excellent core idea. It is not a game because there is no actual fun involved in playing it or watching the non-plot character interactions.

Attention to the story in its current form is only

Attention to the story in its current form is only recommended in extremely small doses with copious amounts of drugs and/or alcohol, otherwise a loss of faith in humanity and a urge to destroy Japan may occur. The only cure to this is to play FFXIII-2 which will remediate all of these urges except for the realization that it is what XIII SHOULD and COULD have been.

Extended Cut Review
    This game makes me seethe and writhe in frustration because of all the wasted and lost potential. Where to begin?

Frustrating, arbitrary and grueling battle system.
    The "easiest" enemies later in the game take 10-15 minutes each simply due to the vast amount of hp and their damage output. If you don't use autobattle and make it basically a interactive movie with minor control, then combat in this game will be beyond frustrating and irritating. My girlfriend and I are both veterans of the final fantasy series which is to say, since the original game, and into chapter 11 we reached a point where there was literally no reason for bashing our heads against the mechanical system despite a deep desire for both of us to get to the end of all the plot threads dangled. Don't get me started on Eidolon battles and certain bosses if you did not build exactly the way the devs wanted you to, hope you like hearing Vanille and everyone's death cries.

Plot, coherence, and narrative or lack thereof
    There is a intruiging plot backbone in the background which is never fully explored or explained except for a fully formed codex at the start of the game which is interesting but completely detached from the narrative of the game. The character interactions in plot scenes are top notch and compelling, as characters should be, but in the rest of the game they are reduced to mere stereotypical archetypes with completely nonsense exchanges, "observations" and no true character development.

Nothing is explained about why the events that occur occur, even when many examples clearly contradict the game's existing lore and established narrative. Why do the characters get sent where they do and then come back? Never explained, ever. The only explanation to many things that contradict everything else is "power of friendship", which is unacceptable without some further establishment or explanation.

Pacing
    The main criticism of the game from the community has been its pacing. The 30 hour tutorial is not a exaggeration and it is just as frustrating as it sounds, given you only truly "start" the full open proper game in the last 3 or 4 chapters of chapter 13. Compounded with the resounding question of "why are we here?" that is never truly answered, giving any thought to the game will give you aneurisms.

Music and Sound
    The basic battle theme made me want to gouge out my ears. There were a couple of themes that were great, like Snow's, but some of them were completely discontinious like Sazh's. The repetitive battle effects and character combat lines were made worse by the ridiculious length of the battles.Overall, I preferred to listen to something else.

I do not understand why this game is rated inferior to Final Fantasy XIII-2, which is superior to it every way. There was clearly a great conceptual idea that was handed off to a team of incompetent monkeys for implementation of certain core parts who butchered them completely. There were at least two main character writing teams, one for plot events (the great one) and one for side conversations the trash one), which held no standard continuity between the two. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a vast improvement upon the two, with a streamlined battle system that SHOULD have been, a unified narrative, characterization, and a incredible soundtrack.
  71. Nov 26, 2013
    FF-XIII falls short of being the innovative Final Fantasy game it had striven to be. The game offers luscious CG cut-scenes accompanied with unforgettable soundtracks; The story is also not terrible for a J-RPG. Character models are beautifully drawn and their character development is quite decent. Game mechanics, however, lacks the depth and intricacy that was once present in itsFF-XIII falls short of being the innovative Final Fantasy game it had striven to be. The game offers luscious CG cut-scenes accompanied with unforgettable soundtracks; The story is also not terrible for a J-RPG. Character models are beautifully drawn and their character development is quite decent. Game mechanics, however, lacks the depth and intricacy that was once present in its predecessor: FF-XII. The dreaded "Auto-Battle" command is the most immersion-killing part of the entire game. This button essentially allows the game to play itself, since also the game is not difficult in any sense. FF-XIII's battle mechanics is basically a super dumb'ed-down version of FF-XII's. There a tiny traces of the gambit system in the form of the Paradigms, but now it is simplified to the point where it is as if it was teaching you "Rock beats paper, scissors beat paper, and paper beats rock. Do you need me to hold you're hand some more? How about I beat the game for you?". The battle game play is bluntly: Boring. Expand
  72. Nov 25, 2013
    One of the worst games that have come in these last years, simple boring, empty, with characters flatter than a piece of paper.

This is not a Final Fantasy
  73. Nov 13, 2013
    Probably the most linear game of the Final Fantasy series, lacking depth but packed with beautiful graphics and inspiring characters.

If you want a short, followable game that you can just mend along with, Final Fantasy XIII may definitely be your choice. However, if you wanted an explorative, dense & replayable experience that Final Fantasy usually offers, this game may cut your expectations completely
  74. Nov 7, 2013
    Well, it's true that the linear part is bad, but not so much, I mean, maybe it was disliked because this was not the case with previous titles, but when you think about if, can't this be taken as some kind of revolutionary 3D side scroller instead? I really disliked this 'stagger' system where monsters have ridiculously big health pools, but whatever, you get used to it. I enjoyed theWell, it's true that the linear part is bad, but not so much, I mean, maybe it was disliked because this was not the case with previous titles, but when you think about if, can't this be taken as some kind of revolutionary 3D side scroller instead? I really disliked this 'stagger' system where monsters have ridiculously big health pools, but whatever, you get used to it. I enjoyed the game not as much as other FF titles but it had his own magic plot. At least I feel like wanting to play the sequel, so yeah, it took me ages to finish this game because I left it at some point (again, hate stagger mechanic) but retook it and well, next. Expand
  75. Nov 1, 2013
    It's a very linear game, the gameplay is nice but have some issues, the worst are the fact that you can't trade the leader in the middle of the battle.
    The soundtrack are really nice and Fang is awesome!
  76. Oct 19, 2013
    Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad.
  77. Oct 15, 2013
    This review isn't much of an opinion, that's why I'll just give it 5, mediocre. I'm just going to ask what the makes this a FF game? So here's a bit of a rant and facts.

XIII doesn't have FF music, no iconic victory theme, iconic prelude, iconic main theme. It has classic magic like fire etc. but you just keep pressing A/X because there's just no point in manually choosing the magic and because the actions are so quick they just fly by, I don't remember what fire looks like because it's just a fart among the other magics the automated attack chooses, but I do remember what fire looks like in IX because I use it with Vivi so many times in that game and it always has that animation. Potions just became useless because your health just comes back after every fight, same thing with phoenix downs, antidotes, echo screens(did it even have those?) etc. It barely had iconic monsters, behemoth was there and cactuar... yeah, moving on. There were no towns, no NPC's, no ultra hard boss fights(Ozma, Ruby/Emerald Weapon, Ultima Weapon, Dark Aeons etc.) not even airship even if it would've been just for fast travel like in X and XII. Summons are mostly pointless and there's just 1 for each, no finding extra summons and you can't even call them in a battle when you want like you could in every single numbered FF before it(except XI which is MMO, and the first games on NES that didn't have summons yet). You don't need to find best weapons for everyone, I completed the game with the frigging default weapons I found without upgrading once! I just didn't need to upgrade, and that's just broken. There's no limit break/trance etc. What exactly does make this game a Final Fantasy? It just looks like Square-Enix doesn't want to make Final Fantasy games anymore, but they do like the money the franchise name is giving them. You can like XIII series all you want, I don't care, story was decent and battle system fairly enjoyable, but overall I just hated it because I wanted FF game. These things I've given are just facts of things that the franchise had up until XIII. XIII is not a Final Fantasy game, nothing about this game is Final Fantasy. I want a Final Fantasy game, I don't want FF VII or IX which are my favorites, I want a new FF with upgraded mechanics, VII and IX are old and wouldn't hold up today, that's why they should make those things better, not abandon them completely like they did with XIII, just throwing things out isn't the answer.
  78. Oct 9, 2013
    Unfortunately this marked the end for Final Fantasy, for me, personally. Square Enix made the game linear, so much so that the gameplay literally consists of holding forward, and pushing A, oh, and don't forget pressing the start button to skip cutscenes, because the story is NONSENSE. I don't even think Square Enix knew what the story was supposed to be, because the important parts of theUnfortunately this marked the end for Final Fantasy, for me, personally. Square Enix made the game linear, so much so that the gameplay literally consists of holding forward, and pushing A, oh, and don't forget pressing the start button to skip cutscenes, because the story is NONSENSE. I don't even think Square Enix knew what the story was supposed to be, because the important parts of the story are hidden away in menus. Gotta love that conveyance....

I hate that I am forced to hate this game, I wish it was better, but it just isn't. From the people that made a JRPG series that DEFINED the genre for years, and the people who made my favorite game of all time, this pains me to see this direction. The gameplay and combat is shallow, repetitive, and streamlined to all hell. The story would be predictable if I knew what the Hell was even going on, they leave you in the dark story wise the whole game, and are beyond vague about everything.

JonTron said it best, "The game is a Hallway, a long, boring, uninteresting, vague.,... hallway. AND GAMES SHOULD NOT BE HALLWAYS!:
  79. Oct 5, 2013
    This is not a good FF game. The first 40 hours are spent running in a complete straight line, reading mountainous piles of extra text to try to figure out what's going on and who all these people and different factions and organizations are. The game won't open up for you until you've run in a straight line for 30-40 hours.
  80. Sep 21, 2013
    This Final Fantasy is totally different than series before. Game looks fantastic on PS3, much better than X360. The plot isn't a masterpiece, but Square Enix put a pressure on relations between characters. I'm fan of the series and even the longest tutorial in history of gaming had much fun with completing this. Anyway there is, like always, cut scenes and audio (original Japanese dubbingThis Final Fantasy is totally different than series before. Game looks fantastic on PS3, much better than X360. The plot isn't a masterpiece, but Square Enix put a pressure on relations between characters. I'm fan of the series and even the longest tutorial in history of gaming had much fun with completing this. Anyway there is, like always, cut scenes and audio (original Japanese dubbing and also whole music) are MASTERPIECES Expand
  81. Sep 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. bad game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Expand
  82. Sep 10, 2013
    I only played it once, can't believe we had to wait for... how long? Oh yeah, FOUR YEARS to hear about a decent new FF game! This game makes me wonder why Squeenix made this the main title instead of Versus aka FFXV. This piece of sad gaming history is flung into the darkest corner of gaming history and will only be remembered for showing game designers how NOT to make games. As a cherryI only played it once, can't believe we had to wait for... how long? Oh yeah, FOUR YEARS to hear about a decent new FF game! This game makes me wonder why Squeenix made this the main title instead of Versus aka FFXV. This piece of sad gaming history is flung into the darkest corner of gaming history and will only be remembered for showing game designers how NOT to make games. As a cherry on top of this rotten pie *whispers* I was happy it was finally over. Expand
  83. Aug 24, 2013
    Pro:Lightning,Snow,Fang,Sazh,Story,Places,Music,CP,Barthandelus,Ending
    Cons:Vanille,Linear,Graphics

ts one of the best final fantasy i really liked the story,characters,music,development Crystogen points...
    This game would be better if they maked for only PS3...The Ending was something fantastic the best ending in FF titles....
  84. Aug 18, 2013
    I've heard a lot of people harp on the complaint of the game being linear however this cannot be true as Final Fantasy X was very linear and achieve greatest, so why did this game utterly fail? There is nothing from with changing mechanics however Square changed their core engagement. Why do you play a Final Fantasy game over every other game?

The two main element would be exploration

The two main element would be exploration and story with idles of being on a hero's quest perhaps. Now Final Fantasy X was linear however the world varied enough, while juxtaposed with times in towns and peaceful settlements with battles to create a flow while Final Fantasy seem very little various and takes too long for it to happen; run through the same jungle with three difference groups of characters. Now, Final Fantasy X had a slow start for sure but Final Fantasy 13 flat out beats this without tell us anything basic about the world and only leaves us more confused unless we continue or read up on it. The exposition dumps fro Final Fantasy X were annoying but they fit because they were teaching Tidus, a everyman thrust into a new world with us, they were teaching us the player, meanwhile FF13 doesn't want to teach us anything but the world or it's characters. Both FFX and FF13 are linear but FFX had colourful characters and world so we didn't notice or it didn't matter while FF13 has spent all its money on graphics and paid for it.

You can say FF13 got a good score but did it? Every single FF since six has gotten anywhere from 8-11 points above this one so while it could be "good" it is bad as a FF. However, this is where my argument breaks down as I didn't get to finish FF13. I know that the world opens up, and I've seen the gameplay of it, about 20 hours in but honestly to goodness my system caught fire after 18 hours. Perhaps it does get good after this point but than the 18 hour long tutorial was bugging me a bit.

See with the loss of Sekaguchi FF has lot its way. Final Fantasy moved over to the playstation for more disk space and this served them well because they used it to teach a better story while the story here seems best suited to serve the graphics. Maybe there was a story but it wouldn't explain it self or let me in to understand it at all. Instead, I'm on the outside wondering who these people are or why I should care.

I should talk about the simplification of the combat a bit. Now normally the slow turn based menus are great for tactical play and allowing you to control all your characters but the moment you speed things up controlling everyone isn't possible. This isn't bad, games like Kingdom Hearts showed us a good way to do this. However, Final Fantasy 13 throws you in and doesn't explain a thing. Not only that my input on the battles is very loose. Now, again I've seen gameplay of later in the game in which it does appear to get a bit hectic however, does this mean that the first 20 hours are all tutorial? If it was meant for the game to progressive and get harder as we go, well that's a good idea but it never came. 18 hours in and I was still doing nothing but changing classes for when I needed to heal, the curve never came. Also, I must admit being healed to full after every battle killed the game and took all challenge away. I know you want the game to be easy so all can play but all tension is now gone. However, I must admit FF has been off the combat I like for a while. FF9 was great because each character had a set of skills and that was all they had. Not only did they have to work together but it gave the sense that their skill (lets say black magic) was something hard that they had mastered and not everybody and their dog could do it.

If you're just scrolling down to the end to see what I'm going to say I'll repeat. Final Fantasy 13 fails not because it's linear but because it changes the core engagement. I play a FF game for a well crafter stories with colorful characters in a varied world. FFX showed us that linear worlds aren't a bad thing but FF13 shows that that unvaired repeating ones are. While save points that heal you to full made earlier games too easy, being healed after every battle is beyond overkill to take out any challenge or tension. Finally, FFX may have had exposition dumps but it served to explain the world while FF13 doesn't care to. FF13 doesn't care to explain itself at all but throw a bunch of proper nouns at me and never explain a single one nor teach me or give me anything likeable about the cast.

I"LL SAY IT AGAIN. FINAL FANTASY 13 FAILS NOT BECAUSE ITS LINEAR BUT BECAUSE IT CHANGES IT'S CORE ENGAGEMENT!! Everything we love to see in FF game is not here for changes no one asked for and a pursuit of graphics over gameplay, story, or world. This may be the lowest rated FF in the main series in the best 20 years for a reason guys (and only because those games ((FFV)) are being judged by today's standards).
  85. Aug 17, 2013
    I was so excited for this to come out..... I thought I'd be up all night playing it..... After just a few hours I realized it was not a game at all but, just one big lame cut scene.... Walk a few steps, kill an enemy or two, cut scene, repeat indefinitely.... I think this was the most disappointed I've ever been in a game.... Should give it a zero
  86. Jul 26, 2013
    Meh, not terrible game but not too good either, fighting system kinda fails even if I have seen worse in jrpgs but basically it doesn't do its job well enough. I didn't really feel it game either, I don't like characters too much, story was OK. first half of game is just really dull as you don't have much freedom :x...
  87. Jul 11, 2013
    Utter game. Awful gameplay, terrible story, characters without depth, amateurish dialogues, no sense of exploration or adventure, soporific combat system. This game is so bad that it hurts. It doesn't deserve to be among the Final Fantasy franchise.
    The fact that it got a good score around the professional critic shows how rotten this gaming-journalism industry is right now. Don't be fooled: ff13 has gorgeous graphics, but as a game it is really really bad.
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    The timeless score of the series is ditched for J-Pop which sounds dated the moment it was released, the World is nothing more than a pretty painting in the background in which you cannot interact with AT ALL EVER, the story is cliche, the characters are shallow, the voice acting is okay at best, the gameplay is insulting, the strategy is non existent, the ending is, well lets just put itThe timeless score of the series is ditched for J-Pop which sounds dated the moment it was released, the World is nothing more than a pretty painting in the background in which you cannot interact with AT ALL EVER, the story is cliche, the characters are shallow, the voice acting is okay at best, the gameplay is insulting, the strategy is non existent, the ending is, well lets just put it this way, there are three games in the series so tell me how good you even think the ending is, the number of spells are limited, the summons are the worst since the japanese FF 3 (maybe, never played actual the actual FF2 or 3) and they turn into vehicles but guess what, you never get to control the vehicles.

Worst in the series hands down, and downright an insulting entry for the JRPG genre. The strangest part of all is, people are actually defending this title.
  89. Jun 30, 2013
    As a relatively new FF fan who just finished VI and VII, I definitely approached XIII with a grain of salt. Many have said it's not like FF at all, or its so linear as to ruin the experience. I can safely say that everyone's opinion was correct... to a certain degree.

Yes, FF XIII is exceedingly linear to a fault, and I can see how this would ruin the game for many traditional FF fans. Nevertheless, I don't see why this one low point overshadows the rest of the game's magnificent strengths. In terms of design, the artistic sense and music are excellent, definitely on par if not exceeding the FF standard. The story, while convoluted at times is actually pretty sophisticated, and one who is willing to sift through the copious amounts of information in the datalog will find a nuanced and fascinating tale. Even if some didn't like characters such as Hope or Vanille, the cast as a whole is very strong, playing extremely well off each other and having great voice acting.

Even the linearity has its benefits. It adds to the overall streamlined feel of the game. It's really hard to explain it to someone who hasn't played through the game, but there's a sense of slickness to everything in the game. The menus are clean and efficient, the crystarium system is easy to use, and the combat is fast, strategic, and yet understandable. Even though you only control one character at a time, combat in XIII is really a joy. True, the system doesn't show all its features until around chapter 3 out of 13, but once it does it shines for the rest of the game, especially once you have access to all roles and characters. I'm not really sure where the concept that you can just auto battle the whole game came from. Obviously these people never made it to mid-game bosses such as Barthandelus. This is a 40 hour long game, and the combat really doesn't ever get dry, save for grinding (which the main story is perfectly possible without.)

Overall, its not a perfect game, but its definitely worthy of its FF title for its overall excellent production qualities, tight gameplay, and excellent story. While the linearity is a turn off for some, its just a different style for others, and one that is perfectly enjoyable if one can appreciate its strengths. I can safely say I was impressed and pleasantly surprised by XIII, although I still like VI the best.
  90. Jun 30, 2013
    It just isn't very fun I'm afraid. Very linear and rather dull. The world is lovely but I cannot explore. The story is interesting but it's hidden in the datalog while the game focuses obsessively on a bunch of characters shouting about the same things over and over again. The gameplay looks great but all I am doing is watching it. It's like the game doesn't want me as a player. Give thisIt just isn't very fun I'm afraid. Very linear and rather dull. The world is lovely but I cannot explore. The story is interesting but it's hidden in the datalog while the game focuses obsessively on a bunch of characters shouting about the same things over and over again. The gameplay looks great but all I am doing is watching it. It's like the game doesn't want me as a player. Give this once great series a break and just go and make films SE. Expand
  91. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm a bit biased because I'm a FF fanboy but I dont think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it's still pretty bad. But before I start a review a bit of a warning: DONT TOUCH THIS GAME IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING IT ON XBOX. It takes the tiny bit of enjoyability out of the game. The reason? It's not in HD. The box claims it is but thats a lie. Here's a link to an explanation:I'm a bit biased because I'm a FF fanboy but I dont think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it's still pretty bad. But before I start a review a bit of a warning: DONT TOUCH THIS GAME IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING IT ON XBOX. It takes the tiny bit of enjoyability out of the game. The reason? It's not in HD. The box claims it is but thats a lie. Here's a link to an explanation: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

The ps3 version easily contains the greatest cutscene graphics I've ever seen in a video game. As for everything else....its pretty bad. I enjoyed the story and managed to suck up the awful battle system to continue with the story but it really is the only redeeming quality other than the cutscenes. But therein lies the problem, you must first suffer through the battle system to experience the story. Actually, calling it a battle system is unfair. It's not a battle system it's an interactive cutscene where you just mash the X button. Square added an "auto battle" button which essentially ruins the point of playing a video game. You're not really playing the game, the game is playing itself.
  92. Jun 2, 2013
    My first PS3 game, I knew it would be before buying the console. And I must say I am not disappointed. The visual presentation of this game is just great. The cutscenes are breathtaking. The characters are unique and memorable. The battle system is elegant and smart. The story is decent and has some cool twists.
    Most of the people had issues with the game being too linear, I'm totally ok
    Most of the people had issues with the game being too linear, I'm totally ok with that.
    One thing I didn't like much: the storyline slowed down in the second half, so the game could be shorter less battles in the end and more story. Overall, this is a really nice game, a mustbuy for every jrpg lover.
  93. Jun 1, 2013
    Final Fantasy fans will accept this game as a passable title in the franchise but by no means is this game a masterpiece. Experienced RPGers may be disappointed. As one can expect, the visuals are impressive. The main protagonist is well designed with a suitable voice over, unfortunately the other characters lack any real conviction. One main flaw with the game is the lack ofFinal Fantasy fans will accept this game as a passable title in the franchise but by no means is this game a masterpiece. Experienced RPGers may be disappointed. As one can expect, the visuals are impressive. The main protagonist is well designed with a suitable voice over, unfortunately the other characters lack any real conviction. One main flaw with the game is the lack of customization. The game is set in a linear fashion which is good in a way and allows the player to remain focused on the story but at the same time the lack of side quests does not give the game its trademark experience. The story is palpable, but does not compare to its legendary predecessors such as Final Fantasy VII or X. The soundtrack is for the most part enjoyable, however there are some exceptions. The battle system is innovative, and focuses on constant role changing and to a small degree a bit of strategy to defeat the heavy hitting foes. For an experienced RPGer you will find this game 100% completed within a short time and with hardly any difficulty. Players will enjoy the game to some extent. But don't put all your eggs in the basket, if your expecting a long challenging game you will be sadly disappointed. Expand
  94. May 26, 2013
    It doesn't matter who are you FF fan or not, this game sux anyway. Press X to win gameplay, boring storyline, uninteresting characters, terrible soundtrack... Yeah, CG amazing but i play games, not CG.
  95. May 22, 2013
    Alright, the people who are complaining about this game being linear are stupid. All JRPG's are linear (and some of the greatest games made are linear); that isn't the issue with this JRPG. The issue is that it's a story driven game and they don't even tell a good story. In fact, most of the important story details are stored in the database of the game. The first elementary aspect ofAlright, the people who are complaining about this game being linear are stupid. All JRPG's are linear (and some of the greatest games made are linear); that isn't the issue with this JRPG. The issue is that it's a story driven game and they don't even tell a good story. In fact, most of the important story details are stored in the database of the game. The first elementary aspect of writing that you learn is "show not tell." Final Fantasy XIII should have showed us all the important aspects of the story via diloague and cutscenes, not relegate them to some side database in the options menu.

The battle is definitely unique but once you hit higher levels, you'll mostly be just using auto-battle. The actual strategy lies in your paradigm set up and how you switch between those paradigms in battle. I have to say that this is one of the most challenging RPG's out there; however, part of the challenge is due to the fact that if the character you're controlling dies, you game over.

The graphics are amazing. The music is solid but everything else is below average. For a JRPG, it's about average. For a Final Fantasy, it's terrible.
  96. May 17, 2013
    I have played only a few Final Fantasy games. So ya this was terrible compared to the one other Final Fantasy game. The gameplay was crappy and you felt like the game was almost playing itself. The only real positive to this game was the story. It was the ONLY thing keeping me going. It would have gotten a ZERO if it wasn't for that story. Now in opinion the best part of the game is theI have played only a few Final Fantasy games. So ya this was terrible compared to the one other Final Fantasy game. The gameplay was crappy and you felt like the game was almost playing itself. The only real positive to this game was the story. It was the ONLY thing keeping me going. It would have gotten a ZERO if it wasn't for that story. Now in opinion the best part of the game is the story, but this story could not carry the game... Expand
  97. May 3, 2013
    This is game is just aw full! Yes it has amazing graphics but the rest is just wrong. The story is so bad and beside the characters are very well design their personality is just aw full and annoying. The game play is linear and the battle system it looks like it has been butcher. It makes me so sad to talk bad about a Final Fantasy game but it's one is just.....god aw full!!
  98. Apr 18, 2013
    Firstly, I am a Final Fantasy fanboy. Happy to hold up my hand to admit it. FFVII best game in the history of games.
    Secondly, before giving this a 1/10 I tried really hard to think of a reason to bump it to a 2 or 3, because I tend to see scores like this as being born of ill-considered hostility, rarely accurately reflecting the true quality of the game.
    In all of my 25 years of
    In all of my 25 years of gaming I have never been so upset about a game in my life. I've been disappointed plenty of times. Aliens CM was disappointing. But FFXIII was damn upsetting. Probably because I'm such a series fanboy. I felt -angry- at Square for insulting the Final Fantasy brand with this piece of garbage.

So, rant done, what is actually wrong with it? The problem with FFXIII is that it is the OPPOSITE of everything that was great about the rest of the series. The score I give it is applied with respect to how it stands among the great FFs that it SHAMES by taking their name.

Great characters? Nope. We get vapid, shell-like stereotypes. These FF characters are PARODIES of those that have come before in the least humorous way possible.

Great story-line? Nope. What story-line? The flimsy excuse for a narrative that this 'game' exposed me to for the 30 or so hours that I suffered through, hoping, excruciatingly, in vain that it would improve at some point never seemed to evolve or progress into anything more than a series of inane dialogues and sigh-inducing intermissions between running forwards and 'fighting' clutches of useless enemies (such is my love for the rest of the series that I sat, simmering with growing contempt, through 30 hours of what I can only describe as being like watching a seemingly never-ending scene of someone defecating on your childhood).

Great battle system? The FF battle systems have been revolutionary. What does FFXIII give us? BUTTON MASHING. You will spend the first several hours running up to an enemy and mashing the A button. You'll win, you'll run a bit further, you'll mash that button some more. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat, and you keep hoping that as you gain more abilities, you'll be able to do more stuff, but somehow, someway, the button mashing never seems to end!!

FFXIII gets the 1 point I can bring myself to award it because it is pretty. Well done, Square, you created the prettiest piece of trash capable of enraging me like this since my ex-wife.

SO if you like platform games where you can't do anything but run at an enemy and jam that 'Action' button, and you like RPGs that don't let you go anywhere but forward, and you like story-lines that only make sense if you smoke a little sumtin-sumtin, and characters that make you care about them as much as the that live under your sink, then FFXIII is for you.
  99. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was exceedingly disappointed with this game, I thought the Final Fantasy games were supposed to be wonderful experiences. This sure wasnt.
    Initially I enjoyed the pretty graphics but pretty soon into the game I started to get annoyed with the linear corridors and wave after wave of awful same monsters. The character teams keep switching but the monsters and gameplay sure didnt. Only one way to level and it was to fight thousands of pointless and exceedingly boring monsters. No other form of leveling. The system for improving weapons was complicated and risky and really unrewarding too. The only shops were machines, no other npcs or interactions, I can't understand how this game could call itself an rpg.
    I got really tired of Vanilles squeals and noises during gameplay and her awful accent. Snow was an ass, Hope a misery and the only characters I could enjoy using were Sazh, Fang and Lightening (even tho for most of game she was a leaving the kids to fend for themselves)
    There was no difficulty setting in the game and some of those boss fights got really hard, for a first playthrough I found things getting really stressful as I tried to work out where I had gone wrong in my levelling and weapon development. Looking online I read you have to grind, grind, grind.... (Grinding should never leave mmos, never heard of any good single players with grind, should be able to level with gameplay quests and crafting) Money really hard to get, again the answer to that problem? More grind!
    So to sum up this isnt a game, its an exercise in futility with excessive and painful grinding, a poor story and poor character development enabling little or no emphathy for the existing characters. Totally NOT worth the money and I would not recommend anyone to buy this.
  100. Mar 15, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIII has a lot of issues with linear gameplay, some bad characters with annoying voice actors and a confusing story, It has some good points with it's combat system being fun to play even if it's nowhere near as good as previous final fantasy games and the graphics are quite nice, Square Enix has really lost it's way with the Final Fantasy series, There are a lot of otherFinal Fantasy XIII has a lot of issues with linear gameplay, some bad characters with annoying voice actors and a confusing story, It has some good points with it's combat system being fun to play even if it's nowhere near as good as previous final fantasy games and the graphics are quite nice, Square Enix has really lost it's way with the Final Fantasy series, There are a lot of other JRPG developers out there making better games then the Final Fantasy games of recent times, There is no denying that Final Fantasy is a franchise that has great potential to make fantastic games if you look back at there track record, But Square Enix is going the wrong way with the franchise. Expand
  101. May 15, 2012
    Final Fantasy 13 is a real disappointment. The characters are despicable and flat. Actually, if you would take a typical JRPG character, peel away all the game-specific personalization, cast some cheesy american voice actors and put on some typical japanese RPG clothes, you would end up with the characters of FF13.

The story linearity is so frustrating you're ending up hitting X

The story linearity is so frustrating you're ending up hitting X frenetically to get by the battles just to see if there's something else at the end of the tunnel. But there isn't. The voice acting is depressing and unrealistic, the satiric FF humor is completely gone and there's no sign of trivia nor exciting hidden quests nor interesting plots besides the main one. Sure, the graphics are stunning at first and the battle sequences really look gorgeous, but it's all emptied out during the first gaming hour and you end up on some kind rave from the 90s where absolutely everything glows, twinkles and sparks, leaving absolutely no surprises visually.

The only positive thing with Final Fantasy XIII is that the next installment (besides FF13-2) will be better. Really, this is feels like something put together just to show off what the crystal tools for PS3 are capable of.

As an RPG, it is an excellent experience that provides a beautifully crafted world and engaging battle system. However, as a Final Fantasy game, it falls short of expectations somewhat.
  2. Ten hours in you might have doubts, but stay with it and you'll be smitten right through to the frankly unbelievable end. [Apr 2010, p.104]
  3. An unexpected Final Fantasy. The 13th chapter has a great story and some of the most incisive characters of the whole series, and even the battle system works very well, being deep and complex (even if you control only a single character). But on the other side the overwhelming linearity of the plot, the absence of cities to explore, and the small amount of side quest will disappoint fans' expectations.