flOw PlayStation 3

6.9

1. Andyman
    Mar 26, 2007
    A completely unique... well, "game" doesn't really describe flOw... it's more like a relaxation aid. Using the movement-sensitivity of the Sixaxis controller, you guide a continuously-evolving lifeform up through the natural order. In other words, you eat stuff, you get bigger, and you evolve. There's no score, and there's nothing to do other than eating other A completely unique... well, "game" doesn't really describe flOw... it's more like a relaxation aid. Using the movement-sensitivity of the Sixaxis controller, you guide a continuously-evolving lifeform up through the natural order. In other words, you eat stuff, you get bigger, and you evolve. There's no score, and there's nothing to do other than eating other lifeforms... and that's the beauty of flOw. You just chill out in the La-Z-Boy and soak in this absolutely spellbinding experience. This would be a perfect 10, but it's all over way too soon. I can only hope that downloadable content (preferably FREE) will be made available to breathe some more life into flOw. Expand
  2. MrOpinion
    Sep 4, 2007
    I have a view on reviews - they should only be based on the intent of the game. Flow achieves (so far as I can see) 10 out of 10 with regards to what it sets out to do. Now, if it's intent isn't for you, then don't download it - but when I see reviews moaning about lack of blood, or whatever I see poor reviewing (which is rife in gaming industry). Flow does exactly what it I have a view on reviews - they should only be based on the intent of the game. Flow achieves (so far as I can see) 10 out of 10 with regards to what it sets out to do. Now, if it's intent isn't for you, then don't download it - but when I see reviews moaning about lack of blood, or whatever I see poor reviewing (which is rife in gaming industry). Flow does exactly what it says on the box, without bugs, flaws or any design issues. But make sure you read the box and know what you're getting. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2011
    It's crazy thinking how this game got such low reviews. It's a very original game with a very unique presentation. It does what it does and it does a great job at it.
  4. FelipeL
    Dec 1, 2009
    Innocent game, intuitive, basic controls, uses maximum capacity on graphics, relaxing music, good price, the only defect is: its really short
  5. JaakkoV.
    Nov 21, 2007
    A surreal experience.
  6. AW
    Jun 13, 2009
    I just thought i'd say how DARE some of the official reviewers give this game such low scores (here's looking at you G4TV, GameZone, NTSC-uk, HGM and PM UK). It certainly doesn't deserve less than a 70 from anyone... Wonderful experience; if you appreciate art and relaxing, unique games, this is for you. One of my favourite games (and that's saying a lot - also, check I just thought i'd say how DARE some of the official reviewers give this game such low scores (here's looking at you G4TV, GameZone, NTSC-uk, HGM and PM UK). It certainly doesn't deserve less than a 70 from anyone... Wonderful experience; if you appreciate art and relaxing, unique games, this is for you. One of my favourite games (and that's saying a lot - also, check out Flower). Expand
  7. Mar 20, 2012
    Beautiful game, about evolution of species. Lovely and easy gameplay, you cannot die - at least, I didn't. It has a wonderful meditative quality, relaxing. I didn't want it to stop
  8. Aug 20, 2013
    flOw surprised me in a good way. The game involves you nurturing several simple creatures. Each is thrown into a two dimensional world populated by other lifeforms, some of which are hostile, some passive. Your goal is to eliminate these threats, grow stronger, and delve deeper into the world.

Graphically, flOw holds up well. The creatures are made of simple shapes like circles and arcs laid out in roughly snake-shaped arrangements. It is only later in each creatures journey with more complicated additions like spirals, blades and hooks, that their true form and scale is revealed. The creatures colouring is mostly white, whilst other colours indicate moods and hence behaviour or abilities. The environments are similarly basic yet colourful with washed out blues, clouds of green, or particles in a sea of black; this, along with the unavoidable feeling of swimming through each stage, and the blurry outlines of what is waiting for you in the layer below, gives the impression you are diving deeper into the ocean with each level. This may sound pretty bland, but by the end you'll be diving just to see your tail follow you down.

Navigation can be a little frustrating as travel between layers in the world is done by absorbing a blue or red blob for up or down respectively, and these tend to drift about and get in the way while your trying to battle other creatures. This can cause some panicked episodes when you sink two levels and can't immediately find the way back while creatures twice your size circle wantonly.

Controlling the creatures is done with the PS3's motion controls and a single button. Part of the appeal of this game was not knowing explicitly what the button does. Some creatures have two uses for their abilities and building a strategy is dependent on knowing them. Needless to say, you need to work it out yourself as there are no hints. The motion controls are an issue; at several times I reached for a joystick in the impotent hope they may start working. It's also worth noting that HDMI and HD TV latency plays an important role in the the overall unresponsiveness of motion controlled games, and can be somewhat overcome with a component HD lead. Luckily with flOw, it didn't seem too important.

flOw is not a difficult or long game, but I don't think that matters too much. I was content that I had mastered the game by the end. Of course, I've no way of validating that as there is no online leader board of high scores or fastest times, no completion statistics or PVP matches; and yet it is all the better for it. flOw is one of those rare gaming experiences where you are not judged (with the exception of those contractually obliged trophies, but seriously who cares about trophies any more?) There are no head shots, flawless victories, gold medals, experience points, tips, tutorials, or game overs. There is only the world and the creatures in it.

Overall, flOw is pretty good. I am writing review because you may be interested in it as part of the bundle with Journey and Flower, as I was. If the prospect of shelling out a little extra for 'some old game' makes you cautious, fear not, it is worth it.
  9. Nov 3, 2013
    flOw is quite futuristic, up to a point that I can understand some people not liking it. It' is very minimalistic, you have the bare essentials of what computer gaming (or should I even say, life) is all about: You move, you act, you grow. There are no explanations, no score, no words whatsoever on the screen distracting you from this pure experience.

You need to get into a special

You need to get into a special mood, which I would call meditative, a feeling that is labeled "flow" in modern psychology. (Hence the name, developers, isn't it?)

I really like it, and I don't even feel that its brevity is a shortcoming. It's not meant for playing it for five days in a row, it's rather what you take in between the other games to chill and relax. And for such a purpose it is excellent, simply because of its simplicity, you just need one second to remember all you need to know about how to play it, and there you go. This knowledge is more body-based and less intellectual than any other game I have come about. (Except flower, I guess, which I haven't played yet.)

If I could give a 20 points, I would do so, just because my opinion is that we need more of this sort of games in the future, and because I would suggest everyone to try it, and find out more about the possibilities this medium (and the brain of whoever uses it) has to offer.

Btw it is also kind of educational in a weird nonverbal way, if you draw associations to life and evolution in general, to fish and jellyfish in special, which in my case came kind of automatically.
  10. May 19, 2013
    Beautiful game with a great soundtrack! Very relaxing to play and the way they did the controls with using the sixaxis is perfect. I have had alot of fun playing through this game, highly recommend!
  11. Sep 11, 2013
    This may look like a demo for the Sixasis but it can be deep, since it shows the evolution of a small creature into another that have more abilities and has some cool and relaxing music and sounds and also a good concept. I would give more if this game was a bit longer.

The sense of purpose and accomplishment comes from making your creature grow -- to be king of the primordial soup. And while there are levels, enemies, power moves, et cetera, flOw is more of an entertaining diversion than what we're used to calling a "game."
  2. It will provide you with a relaxing and somewhat strange experience that no other game offers. It looks great on the PS3 and will impress (and maybe hypnotize) your visitors when they come over.
  3. While the $7.99 asking price feels excessive for a game that offers little content versus other downloadable games, flOw deserves to be experienced, thanks to its dreamy visuals, angelic soundtrack and addictive play.