God of War: Ascension PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Ascension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remainAscension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remain relevant in the fast-paced video game industry. Still, it's worth playing when it comes down in price, or if you give it a rent. Expand
  2. Aug 11, 2013
    Finished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the gameFinished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the game broke...I was so angry. I tried resetting checkpoint but didn't work. Deleted the patch, then it worked... :

Final boss battle was terribly easy as well. The game tried to make me feel bad for Kratos, it only managed to piss me off to the point I don't wanna play another GOW game ever again. Santa Monica, God of War 3 was the pinnacle of the series, it is time to move on.
  3. Oct 22, 2014
    GoW: Ascension does little to separate itself from the original GoW trilogy, it is an unnecessary addition to the franchise that doesn't develop the story or game play in any interesting ways. Nevertheless, it looks great and is very fun to play.

The multiplayer is the biggest innovation this time around and while I found the different modes on offer interesting, I simply could not get into the competition. I'm also very disappointed that there was NO local multiplayer of any kind, not even the simple co-op survival mode.
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you willI don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you will be stuck with all the starting attacks (since the controls aren't as responsive, you get hit more easily than on the other games).

The story was good, the boss fights were awesome as ever but the controls and changes on the skill/magics system are killing it for me.

I sold back the game while i kept all the others. What a waste... :(
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You onlyGod of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You only have one weapon in Ascension, the Blades of Chaos, but that does not mean you do not have other options. Each God gives you a different power for your blades that you can upgrade. There are also other trinkets that help you in battles and puzzles. Some of the enemies are new and there death scenes are pretty brutal. The graphics are gorgeous but do not look any different from God of War 3. The multiplayer has a neat premise but in the end it just comes down to a button mash fest. God of Ascension does not break any new ground but refines what the series does best. Expand
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    I have finished the whole God of War games. This game doesn't invent anything new. Yes, if ain't broke don't fix it. But the year is 2013 now. The multiplayer is fun but it won't keep you busy so much. The story is a bit interested. But don't expect the epic boss fights in God of War 3. Still I think that it will worth a rent or a piece drop.
  7. Aug 12, 2013
    As a big fan of GOW fan, I am totally disappointed. I mean, they did a great job, they added a completely different gameplay but still, single-player is not good enough. It's good, but not THAT good. Storyline is totally trash, enemies are the same and you can only use your main weapon (Blades Of Chaos)(There are 4 elements but they are not effective enough).
    To sum up, Ascension is made
    To sum up, Ascension is made for multiplayer.
  8. Jun 7, 2014
    I love the ancient Greek mythology, so all the elements and the environments inspired by this really wins all the positive points in my rating, but honestly, in it's core, this is basically very average console smasher that might entertain you for a couple hours, but that's it. In places it tries to be something more, by including some puzzles here and there, but they have been moreI love the ancient Greek mythology, so all the elements and the environments inspired by this really wins all the positive points in my rating, but honestly, in it's core, this is basically very average console smasher that might entertain you for a couple hours, but that's it. In places it tries to be something more, by including some puzzles here and there, but they have been more annoying than anything, only slowing the pace down. This was my first God Of War and I heard it's the worst piece in the series, so I might give the other ones a try, but if it's anything like this, I don't know what the fuss is about. 5/10 Expand
  9. Jan 2, 2014
    Ascension is a good game, but should a God of War game really just be good? Compared to God of War 3, ascension is nothing! The multiplayer is pretty good but gets boring fast and the story is utter crap aside from the first boss battle. A good game but a very disappointing addition to the series.
  10. Mar 3, 2014
    A visual appealing game with some creative boss fights, suffers for a complete lack of gripping story, exploitation and repetitiveness.
    While graphically this game is amazing, i didn't see any purpose to the end goal.
    Climbing high buildings, running away from crumbing floors and fighting waves of enemy's is fun at first but quickly becomes repetitive and feels like a chore. The camera
    The camera angles are also something left to be desired, with your character sometimes getting lost mid fight in all the action.
  11. Nov 4, 2014
    I'd honestly give the game a 6.5, but it all depends what I'm basing it from. The game gets rather repetitive and can be quite boring once you get about half way through. The graphics are amazing which is why I went with a 7 overall. I feel the game could of been longer as well as different stuff instead of the same stuff just slightly changed. The controls are easy enough and they haveI'd honestly give the game a 6.5, but it all depends what I'm basing it from. The game gets rather repetitive and can be quite boring once you get about half way through. The graphics are amazing which is why I went with a 7 overall. I feel the game could of been longer as well as different stuff instead of the same stuff just slightly changed. The controls are easy enough and they have added some great stuff, but honestly once you beat the game it's something you're likely to not play again unless you're extremely bored with nothing else to do. Expand
  12. Jun 16, 2013
    Lost count of how many times I've seen this. A developer makes an amazing game that many people buy and reviewers all agree is great. Then after a few iterations the devs decide that the game needs a multiplayer mode or the core gameplay needs a shakeup. I realise some people like this game but for me it's unplayable. I love God of War 1, 2, 3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. Ascension is
  13. Mar 16, 2013
    Let me just start out by saying that I'm a huge god of war fan. Even waited in line for the midnight relase of this game. So one would imagine my shock when I played this game and realized what a huge dissapointment it was. The biggest issue was the story or should I say lack of. There's no real clear story and the little bit that is is confsuing and uninteresting. The game jumps bck andLet me just start out by saying that I'm a huge god of war fan. Even waited in line for the midnight relase of this game. So one would imagine my shock when I played this game and realized what a huge dissapointment it was. The biggest issue was the story or should I say lack of. There's no real clear story and the little bit that is is confsuing and uninteresting. The game jumps bck and forth between present and past even though present isn't really present). Another problem is that the game is way to short. I've loved these games because of the challenge, story, and length. However I beat this game in 7 hrs which is short for god of war and there were no real challenging parts. I was killed once in the entire game. Even the boss fights are lackluster, especially the final one. I still gave this game a 6 though because it is still god of war and the visual effects are stunning and the actual gameplay itself with the fighting isn't bad. All I'm saying is that there is nothing that this game told me that added to the story at all. Game didn't need to be made and for that this is a huge dissapointment for me. Expand
  14. Mar 17, 2013
    This is the most disappointed sequel in the whole series of "God of War" that I have played. In short terms, I can list some points to explain why the "God of War: Ascension" can't not reach the level of what a "God of War" series should have.

1. The bad camera: In some battle scene, you can see the camera is zooming out farther and farther from the position of Kratos; I think the designer want use this zoom-out trick to show how great and magnificent the landscape is, but in a red-hot fighting with lots of powerful monsters who want kill you immediately, who care the landscape? In this situation, our hero Kratos was mixed into lots of monsters, like an ant fight to ants, you always don't know which monster is the murderer who kill you, because all of them looks mixed together (with unrecognized HERO).

2. Failure checkpoint: After countless trial and errors, you almost complete a serial hard-fighting, at the last wave, an unexpected attack kills you. Congratulations! you must fight from the very first wave of these serial-fighting, WITHOUT the red orbs you got in the last battle!

3. Block is not immediately active and Invincible time of dodge is too short: Two terrible failures in a action game, there is no need to explain why...

4. Failure weapon system: there are four elements of weapon can choose Fire, Ice, Lighting and Soul; actually, you can hard to say the difference of these elements, their biggest difference is that the COLOR, not the special effects. The only remarkable advantage is the online multiplayer mode, this is really a Innovative game play that can save the single player mode. According to these reasons, "God of War: Ascension" can get 6 score.
  15. Mar 20, 2013
    I have to be honest. I was disappointed with this game. I am a huge GoW fan I have played them all (even the obscure PSP ones and both the original and HD revamps of the PS2 classics), so I can honestly say that I know what I am talking about. Does this mean Ascension is bad? No, absolutely no. It is a good game, but nothing more than that. It misses the sparkle, the wow-factor that is aI have to be honest. I was disappointed with this game. I am a huge GoW fan I have played them all (even the obscure PSP ones and both the original and HD revamps of the PS2 classics), so I can honestly say that I know what I am talking about. Does this mean Ascension is bad? No, absolutely no. It is a good game, but nothing more than that. It misses the sparkle, the wow-factor that is a trademark of this franchise. The graphics are amazing, as usual, the sound effects, the gameplay, the agressive hero we all love, all the elements are there, like following a formula. But the game, as a whole, is very mundane, very uninspired. First of all it's very, VERY short (it took me only 6 hours to beat it) and has the weakest plot in the series, to a way that, for the first time, I didn't bother to worry I just wanted to get through with it. The enemies are repetitive and even the scenarios look similar. I don't want to use this word but, I am sorry, there it is: Ascension is [kind of] boring. It looks like a B-project, as if the main team was focusing on something else (GoW 4 for the PS4 anyone?) and left this one a side thing for a smaller developer most certainly using materials that were not originally used in GoW 3. And I am not going to talk about the Multiplayer because, honestly, I couldn't care less. I am not a MP player and GoW does not need to have this option. This is a good game and deserves to be played especially by its fans just don't get your hopes high, though. Expand
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    First I'd like to say I usually love the God of War series, but this game isn't really in competition with the main three entries in the series. I loved it for the first twenty minutes and I found it to be a beautiful game (with the exception of a few lower quality textures) but the gameplay felt a lot more repetitive than previous games with nearly nothing new to offer, but with thatFirst I'd like to say I usually love the God of War series, but this game isn't really in competition with the main three entries in the series. I loved it for the first twenty minutes and I found it to be a beautiful game (with the exception of a few lower quality textures) but the gameplay felt a lot more repetitive than previous games with nearly nothing new to offer, but with that being said I enjoyed it as a spin-off.

17. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a first time GoW player. This game is fun and has an ok story. This game did a really good job at scaling the really big bosses and environments really good. It gave me slight vertigo during the scenes with huge objects. Now I would have given this game an 8 or 9 but did not realize the severity of the Trials of Achilles. I could not finish the game due to point mis management. Be warned don't max magic out. Max your main sword, artifacts, magic and health or you will not pass the trials. Expand
  18. Mar 20, 2013
    Overall a good game. However it is much of the same, with little new content to be excited about. Graphics are superb, but gameplay is nothing revolutionary. Story is probably the weakest out of the three, failing to live up to the hype surrounding pre-game release. As for the furies, they do not make for the most memorable bosses. To be played if you enjoyed the other GOWs, but rememberOverall a good game. However it is much of the same, with little new content to be excited about. Graphics are superb, but gameplay is nothing revolutionary. Story is probably the weakest out of the three, failing to live up to the hype surrounding pre-game release. As for the furies, they do not make for the most memorable bosses. To be played if you enjoyed the other GOWs, but remember that this game sticks to the same principles, without radically changing anything. Expand
  19. Mar 25, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this and feel a little let down. The game is still fun, with great combat and nifty combos. Some of the puzzles seem like they hold your hand and tell you everything while others are very vague in what the solution could be. All in all this is a fun and solid game, we've just seen this all before in previous God of War games.
  20. Mar 12, 2013
    God Of War: Ascension is for the most part the good old GOW we've come to know and love which in this case is the most disappointing part. It's GOW 3 with that extra bit of gloss and minor game mechanic tweaks. The single player campaign is short but sweet, however with lesser boss fights. The most redeeming part of the whole package is the multiplayer, fast paced and fun. Overall i foundGod Of War: Ascension is for the most part the good old GOW we've come to know and love which in this case is the most disappointing part. It's GOW 3 with that extra bit of gloss and minor game mechanic tweaks. The single player campaign is short but sweet, however with lesser boss fights. The most redeeming part of the whole package is the multiplayer, fast paced and fun. Overall i found GOW: Ascension a minor disappointment. Expand
  21. Mar 13, 2013
    Disappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. YouDisappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. You dont even get a good reason for why Kratos wants to kill them. There's no story buildup and because of this, i just couldnt care for the villains. I didn't root for Kratos to topple the furies as i did against Ares in the first game or Zeus in the 3rd one. Not to mention after seeing what happens in 3, the furies just didn't seem like a threat. They felt like a much less intimidating sisters of fate. Outside of the lacking story, some changes were made to the actual gameplay. While some are welcome additions (the item usage) others are not. The new rage bar is annoying. Basically, your more powerful combos and more exciting moves that were always accessible in previous GoW (provided you input the correct buttons) are now only accessible by basically button maching your way to fill up your rage bar. Rage bar isn't full? No combos for you my friend. I hope the rage bar is something they do away with, or at least fix it. In its current state, its broken and turns the game into a button mash fest. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Its amazing how impressive a game can look on 7 year old hardware. And for a game to look this good with non existant load times is even better. Seriously, this is probably the best looking game of this gen. The music is also great. It's your typical god of war goodness. The soundtrack isnt as varied as past games, but its still enjoyable and tends to fit the mood. And lastly, the most important thing... The boss fights. My biggest issue with the game is actually the boss fights. While all fun, they lack that god of war feel. I guess it's not fair to compare it to the boss fights in GoW 3, but seriously, they dont even compare to early GoWs. Not a single boss in the game feels threatening, and thats because there is 0 development with any of these villains. If the game would have actually developed the plot instead of taking us from set piece to set piece some of these fights could have been truly memorable. At least the first fight against the furies is cool. Probably the best fight in the game due to the fact that you are fighting 3 things at once. Multiplayer is fun. It's a lot better than you'd expect from a game that never had multiplayer prior. The combat system works and the god allegiance thing is cool. FFA is the best mode by far though. Even with all the missteps, i still found the game to be fun. It definitely is God of War, but it's not what many of us were hoping for. Hopefully the good people at Santa Monica can give us a truly remarkable experience with the next game. If you liked previous entries in the series, you'll like this game but likely will be a bit disappointed as i was. If you've never played a god of war game before, i'm sure you'll find this game to be above and beyond what you expected. Expand
  22. Mar 18, 2013
    Here's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to meHere's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to me feels exactly like the PSP titles, stripped of all the bells and whistles of it's console brethren, only on a big system instead of a portable. Which is a shame, because the game looks great, and plays great, but the story is extremely weak (in fact, I never really knew what I was doing other than just out to kill stuff), the game has a major weapon and equipment setback (only the Blades of Fury, and now you no longer have Pegasus Wings or the Golden Fleece, or anything cool for that matter), and the biggest problem is the game just lacks that "epic" feel of the previous games. There are no Greek Gods to kill this time around, which is a letdown, and the bosses are all pretty hum-drum. Multiplayer is pretty ho-hum a well, and probably won't really keep you entertained for more than an hour before it will have run it's course. It's clearly an experiment, and lets just hope it stays on the cutting room floor for God of War 4. Save your money and either rent this game, or wait for a nice price drop! Expand
  23. Mar 13, 2013
    I love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts theI love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts the game felt as though i was playing Heavenly sword. It's something to do with the set pieces, the way the camera shifts while facing a boss. It just doesn't feel like a GOW game. As for the combat mechanics all I have to say is why fix something that wasn't broken. If anything the combat system of GOW defines the game. Changing it changes the whole feel of the game and as this is basically the sixth instalment of the game, if you count the PSP versions, the change in the way you have to play this game does not come naturally. Come on if you've been playing a game a certain way for so many years how should you feel when somebody comes along and decides to change it. Personally I am not Happy. I Like change but any change that is implemented on an already well established franchise should feel natural when executed. The culprit to blame? Multiplayer! Sure all of the combat changes made do make the multiplayer work but this is GOW, I DON'T CARE ABOUT MULTIPLAYER!!. Honestly GOW multiplayer is not good enough to last the initial curiosity. I hate that feeling I get that after playing a game...that I have wasted my money. Expand
  24. Mar 14, 2013
    This is God of war 3.5 It`s obvious they never should have made a multiplayer because i noticed through the whole game how many shortcuts and copy paste job they did in this game.
    The story is really not that interesting and the weapons you get are just the blades of chaos with different elements to them. Combat is frustrating when there is to much happening on the screen.
    But its not a
    But its not a bad game really even with all the faults it has, you will still enjoy playing it and it is a must for any god of war fan. It`s just shame they made multiplayer for this as it would be fine without and its obvious the singe player was affected by it.
    I haven't tried multiplayer yet and im not sure if im even going to bother playing it.
    Great game but as a God of war game it`s disappointing..
  25. Mar 13, 2013
    4 hours in and I got to say this is the saddest excuse for a GoW game...I'm not even going to finish the SP let alone give the MP mode a chance...If you've played ANY other GoW game (I've played all of them) you'd understand just how disappointing Ascension is...maybe (and hopefully) Santa Monica gets it right the next time around...
  26. Mar 23, 2013
    Although this may seem abstract, God of War Ascension seems more like a 3rd part expansion pack than a full retail game. There are countless character re-skins of recycled enemies, situations and events leaving you with a sense of deja vu. The new throw mechanic would be a fresh installment if it wasnt so under-defined and so long as you are throwing an enemy you are invincible. TheAlthough this may seem abstract, God of War Ascension seems more like a 3rd part expansion pack than a full retail game. There are countless character re-skins of recycled enemies, situations and events leaving you with a sense of deja vu. The new throw mechanic would be a fresh installment if it wasnt so under-defined and so long as you are throwing an enemy you are invincible. The gameplay itself is there! its just lacking compared to previous installments. To clarify in my honest opinion, God of War 1-3 are Half Life and God of War Ascension is Blue Shift. Expand
  27. Mar 31, 2013
    Still a good God of War entry, but I felt that Ascension will never be Game of the Year. The commercial was alright, not that much with no gameplay on it. The reason why I'm almost disappointed at the game is that I'd wished it was God of War IV, but the prequel is sorta like a storytelling reboot of the original God of War where Kratos starts to raise hell and kick the living crap out ofStill a good God of War entry, but I felt that Ascension will never be Game of the Year. The commercial was alright, not that much with no gameplay on it. The reason why I'm almost disappointed at the game is that I'd wished it was God of War IV, but the prequel is sorta like a storytelling reboot of the original God of War where Kratos starts to raise hell and kick the living crap out of Zeus. But the rest of the story just not gonna cut it in Ascension. God of War fans doesn't need multiplayer. If it weren't for the game itself, they should've announced it for the Playstation 4 this holiday season. I like it in single--player campaigns because I've already beaten Chains of Olympus and Ghosts of Sparta. I'm almost beat God of War III with a whole stack of trophies that I've collected (I'm now on the Hard difficulty, as usual). I wonder if the new God of War still has some new sex scenes. I would love to see them in action (hot damn, I love naked lesbians). I'd say Ascension is a bit average, not the best in the series. But it's a good game and I think I'll rent it on Redbox. Expand
  28. Apr 7, 2013
    When judged as a game on it's own, i'd give this game a 9, but since this comes after more than 3 other GOW games it really falls short.

The graphics and environments are magnificent as always, perhaps better than any other GOW game, and fortunately there is little backtracking. The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is

The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is explained it all falls into place and gives the game more meaning and enjoyment.

If you are a GOW veteran, you will immediately notice that this game feels different. Firstly I noticed how quiet the game is, with hardly any background music in combat except for boss battles. Combat is very 'samey' as opposed to other GOW games, as your only weapons are the blades of chaos which do get elemental upgrades, but these hardly change combat. The rage system is fatally flawed, with you slowly gaining rage during combat, but if you get hit once or twice it resets almost to zero which makes fights painfully long, as does the fact that most enemies seem to have an extremely massive amount of health.

The upgrades are not at all exciting, with each element adding almost the same combos to your blades, just with a different color. The elements don't do much at all, except when your rage bar is full, or when you use magic, in which the spell is determined by the element currently equipped.

There are quite a few extremely annoying sections wherein Kratos is in the back of the scene, so small you can hardly see but still in battle, and quick-time sections that are extremely unforgiving which takes much trial and error to see the tiny quick-time indicators that flicker away in less than a second. For example all of the sliding sections could be removed completely as these were extremely frustrating.

Most of the puzzles are well executed, with only a few moments of confusion which actually made the puzzles more enjoyable. There was only one puzzle that made little sense and after half an hour of trial and error I resulted in looking up an online guide.

Enemy variety was a bit lacking, with enemy types seeming to be random in most locations. Most other GOW games, the enemies fit the area, but here in many places it seemed like any enemy would be randomly thrown into battle. Many battles were painfully long, with wave after wave of enemies joining the fight before the previous wave had been defeated.

After finishing the single player, and playing the multi-player tutorial, it became clear why the combat in single player is so limited (and boring). Multi-player includes various weapons that are sadly lacking from single player, which add much needed variety and complexity to combat.

If the multiplayer weapons were added to the single-player campaign, more music was added throughout, and less godlike enemies with more more enemy variety, this game would be 10/10.
  29. Mar 18, 2013
    Eh, an alright entry into the series. The single player is actually pretty fun, but then again, you cant go wrong with god of war atleast on the single player front. It's more of the same gameplay, so if you were looking for something different, dont bother with this game. The only problem lies with the multiplayer. The problem is that the multiplayer isnt fun after a few hours of playingEh, an alright entry into the series. The single player is actually pretty fun, but then again, you cant go wrong with god of war atleast on the single player front. It's more of the same gameplay, so if you were looking for something different, dont bother with this game. The only problem lies with the multiplayer. The problem is that the multiplayer isnt fun after a few hours of playing it, all it is is mashing buttons against other people, and whoever mashes buttons the fastest wins. True, you do have to use SOME strategy, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to play this game, that's not to say the multiplayer is bad, what does say it's bad is that it's BORING. Expand
  30. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is extremely worse than the previous GOW, there aren't weapon variety, the plot is avarage at best and the game feels rushed as hell in some parts, the game is full of tht tedious moments that joins the camera moving from a ppoint to a point to show you what to do, mixed with a few cutscenes and QTE. Sure it has some ideas that could have made the game better, the pltforms feelThis game is extremely worse than the previous GOW, there aren't weapon variety, the plot is avarage at best and the game feels rushed as hell in some parts, the game is full of tht tedious moments that joins the camera moving from a ppoint to a point to show you what to do, mixed with a few cutscenes and QTE. Sure it has some ideas that could have made the game better, the pltforms feel more natural, the auto aim is very good for flying monsters, and the magic bar is better designed than in previous games, but it could have been much MUCH better, is impossible to recommend this game over GOW3 for example, also, the combat in this game is worse too, there is only one weapon, ONE! the rage meter sucks, because the animations in GOW always have made the enemies hard to read, and full meter almost always mean mash R3+L3, the QTE idea of evade and attack is a good base idea but it could have been better designed, so why the game is worse than the past GOWs? Simple, the multiplayer, this game does NOT need mp, is like launch Final Fantasy or Deus Ex with mp, stupid, I have played it and is a stupid mess, with random parrys, random mash, etc, it's is obvious that the sources that went to do the mp could have made the single player better, I hope that the next GOW doesn't add mp and focus on what GOW should be, an amazing single player experience, because this is only a dissapointment, I do NOT recommend its purchase. Expand
  31. Mar 27, 2013
    Utter disappointment, though great game.
    New combat system is deeper, but less fluid. Elemental powers great idea, don't have the supposed effect. The combat system is not as well refined this time and this is probably because of the shift in focus towards the multiplayer. If this game came out on the Vita, it would be the best game for a portable device ever.
    If you play first GoW III
    Utter disappointment, though great game.
    If you play first GoW III and then Ascension, you can't help not being disappointed.

In each and every game of the series there's been an evolution in the combat system. Even in the PSP versions, the Thera Bane was somewhat different, but suitable. It made you feel more powerful. In Ascension, you feel less powerful, because you cannot combo anymore. Building up the rage meter should be easier, so that you could unleash your repertoir of moves. You cannot because staying untouchable isn't as easy as in the other games of the series. Even when your meter is full, you feel that it's more difficult than it should be. The arenas are crowded with enemies and they are more aggressive than ever. The parry system is destroyed sadly. The timing must be precise (not TOO precise), but the final blow is not worth the effort plus you're open to attacks. So, all you can do is evade and get 1-2 hits (not the square,square,triangle combo cause it's likely you'll get hit) and build up the rage meter so you can evade more and deal more damage in as less time as possible.

That's the thing with Ascension. You'll plan your each battle so that it takes as less time as possible. In previous GoW titles, I wanted to dissect each and every one of them. (I'm OK) In this one, because of the extended health bars of the enemies the combat seems to drag. You don't feel the brute force...

It has some great ideas, and the story (although useless) isn't half bad. The puzzles are there, the ideas and the items and the collectibles too. They also included more climbing, hanging and traversing time and tricks which is great (though the slides are more than they should).

At the end of the day, all I feel is that I wanted this game to be more. Story wise it was difficult. The decision to make a prequel brings problems. Some were solved, but some were not. All in all it's the most frustrating GoW game. And the others were not frustrating. That's why it's disappointing.

Next time, I expect Kratos to go back in time to face Titans. Please. Do that. I don' t know how. You' figure out something.

ps. The buttonless minigames and the new killing animations are in the right direction.
  32. Mar 28, 2013
    Bottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God ofBottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God of war is addictive with his high paced action sequences and it pace changing puzzles that prevent the fighting action sequences from becoming stale. It is very easy to get immersed into the experience through the proper tone and easy flow the combat mechanics have. Nothing feels clunky or out of place and even the variety of artifacts Kratos picks up on the journey have their place in combat adding to the narrative without making it feel like a cheap gimmick. The bad: Unfortunately there is no new innovations when it comes to the plot. I obviously don't want to give away the ending, but Kratos for the longest time has been on a journey to free himself from his guilt and all this game does is continue the same plot points. You could probably replace the furies, the antagonists in this game, with Ares and you could reasonable argue that you have god of war clone. The entire plot of Ascension is pretty much the same as God of War chains of Olympus, where Kratos is told or promised that he can be free from his inner curse, but ultimately the promise falls flat. I for one was looking for a bit more. Outside of game play some puzzle are challenging not because you have to think but because you have Kratos standing in the wrong place. During my run through I came across a pinwheel puzzle and while I was able to figure out how to solve it in about 2 minutes it took me forever to figure out where I had to have Kratos stand so I could use his special artifact. Expand
  33. Mar 17, 2013
    This is my first God of War game and I gotta say it is really good. scenery and combat is outstanding as well as its other abilities and secondary weapons and combos. My complaints for this game are about the camera angle being too far for most of the game causing me to have a hard time seeing things and battling enemies. Plus there is a crap ton of mini bosses you see in the game, almostThis is my first God of War game and I gotta say it is really good. scenery and combat is outstanding as well as its other abilities and secondary weapons and combos. My complaints for this game are about the camera angle being too far for most of the game causing me to have a hard time seeing things and battling enemies. Plus there is a crap ton of mini bosses you see in the game, almost too much, but thats not necessarily bad. I like it and I think it was a good game for me to play for a change Expand
  34. Mar 15, 2013
    first ,the story is not clear and strong until I played the first few hours, unlike the god of war games in the other series.
    second, the audio of the game is very flat, some sound effects during the fight like muffled and very flat.
    finally, the combat of the game is much increased, and the graphics really amazing.
  35. May 15, 2015
  36. Apr 19, 2013
    after playing GOW 3 i buy the collector edition of this one and i was really disappointed because is the same as GOW 3 with a bad story and same moves even inferior than the ones in GOW 3, is a good game, but fans will know this is just Santa Monica trying to make money for their next project.
  37. May 8, 2013
    Todd Papy is no Stig Asmussen. Gameplay is muddled by an obnoxious overuse of camera movement, excessive special effects. I shouldn't have to keep trying to figure out where Kratos is on the screen. Dodge move feels laggy. Audio seems strangely flat. Some cutscenes are unfinished. Even without the comparison to GOW3, this is the weakest in the GOW series. Disappointed. Graphics are prettyTodd Papy is no Stig Asmussen. Gameplay is muddled by an obnoxious overuse of camera movement, excessive special effects. I shouldn't have to keep trying to figure out where Kratos is on the screen. Dodge move feels laggy. Audio seems strangely flat. Some cutscenes are unfinished. Even without the comparison to GOW3, this is the weakest in the GOW series. Disappointed. Graphics are pretty amazing though. Expand
  38. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A needless addition to the god of war series, I beat the game on normal in 7 hours with nothing to interest me into playing it a second time. The story wasn't there and them trying to "humanize" Kratos was something I personally didn't like. The same combat system is fine, it's always a joy to cut open an elephant's skull exposing his brain. The system works just the same as before with different powers (focusing on the chaos blades) tossed into the mixed, there's nothing wrong with more hack n slash bloody goodness. The graphics as always for god of war are gorgeous, it's certainly another pretty game to look at. There were at times some awkward camera angles and for me, Kratos would even fall off the map and I would die. This happened on the mechanical snake part and the final boss battle on the boat. Additionally the Trial of Archimedes, which was supposedly so hard for some people that the developers were releasing a patch to make it easier, was extremely easy. I beat it on my first try, the difference in that part is, you have to spend your mana wisely and maybe actually block a few times. Multi-player is just bleh. It's just kind of there in all it's button mashing glory. It really doesn't add anything to the experience and I wish they just focused more on the single player as GOW should remain a single player focus I think. As I stated above this really did not need to exist. I'm pretty upset I ended up paying $60 for this prequel and got a measly 7 hours out of it, without a really engaging story or memorable moments. Expand
  39. Mar 17, 2013
    As many others, I am a huge fan of the GoW series. I have been eagerly waiting for the new God of War: Ascension. The game has great graphics, great effects, really good battles. There are several pluses for this game. But I was utterly disappointed after I started playing the game. This game lacked the story and intensity other GoW games had. I am really surprised that theAs many others, I am a huge fan of the GoW series. I have been eagerly waiting for the new God of War: Ascension. The game has great graphics, great effects, really good battles. There are several pluses for this game. But I was utterly disappointed after I started playing the game. This game lacked the story and intensity other GoW games had. I am really surprised that the developers called it Gow IV! They should have considered this with Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus- of course with better graphics. If I wasn't such a huge fan and a desire to own all the GoW games, I would have certainly sent it back and asked for my money back. Expand
  40. Apr 8, 2013
    This game feels hollow. While visually impressive and tight in combat, everything feels old and dated. The story is pointless and not interesting, it doesn't add depth to Kratos or make his story more interesting, it just feels empty. That being said it is still god of war and slaughtering foes is still fun. If a major improvement isn't made for the inevitable next entry into the seriesThis game feels hollow. While visually impressive and tight in combat, everything feels old and dated. The story is pointless and not interesting, it doesn't add depth to Kratos or make his story more interesting, it just feels empty. That being said it is still god of war and slaughtering foes is still fun. If a major improvement isn't made for the inevitable next entry into the series people may begin to loose interest. Expand
  41. Apr 8, 2013
    This game dosent hold a candle to the other god of wars. There were more riddles and climbing that actual fighting but it was still enjoyable enough to play through the entire campaign. Multiplayer was fun and i still play it but God of War 3 was much more better and intense.
  42. Apr 11, 2013
    Sony needs to take a break from the God of War series, as it is apparent they have wandered off the path of leading the charge of making the #1 action-adventure game.

Very strange advancing in story, flow of gameplay is awkward, you cannot backtrack when you want to, but do backtrack in odd ways later on, unable to reach secrets you may have missed. The combat doesn't feel as perfected as God of War 3. It's also much harder to avoid getting hit, stunned, and interrupted. Some skills cannot be used in a number of fights due to being interrupted and stunned constantly, that includes most area-of-effect moves. I dislike the weapon "elements" system, I find myself missing alternate weapons which all previous God of War games had. I dislike using weapons you find lying around, as most feel inferior (not the hammer, though, lack of moves still). Puzzles are also a bit "off," in this game compared to the others. The world in some places also feel hollow, such as in the "water wheel" area. And also, strange sudden difficulty spikes.

I hope future God of War titles don't trend in the same vein as this game. Please return to the God of War 3 feeling. It doesn't have to be as..."epic," but the feeling experienced throughout the GoW 3 is what Sony should aim for, in consistency.
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    Yup this game is God of War that is for sure, but this game is not the same caliber as GOW3, this game feels lazy in comparison. The story isn't that great and its just the same old same old. I found this game to be pretty boring. Graphics were good but meh..
  44. Jun 11, 2013
    God of War Ascension is the prequel to the God of war series, before the very first God of War.

As a big God of War fan, the first significant difference I noticed in Ascension is the game play and the improved graphics. There are a lot of improvements in the graphics as mention before, when you brutally slice and dice a cyclops stomach open, you can see the guts and other insides spewing right out. Kratos now get covered in blood when fighting enemies. LIKE!

Gameplay, however was changed significantly. Instead of possessing different kinds of big weapons taken from various Boss enemies, Kratos is limited to his "blades of Chaos', his default weapons. However, he can carry one additional weapon found in the world, or fallen enemies such as swords, javelins or even clubs and use it towards his advantage. The traditional "God powers" gained in the game are "elemental" powers from corresponding Gods. For example, one power is gained from Zeus which allows you to coat your blades of chaos with lightning, and unlocking more special combos. Because of these powers, it makes combat feel very repetitive as you constantly using the same weapon with a different element attached to it.

Initially in combat, Kratos cannot use all his combos and powers. Kratos now has a 'rage' meter, displayed at the bottom right of the screen whenever he engages in combat. In order to use his fighting combos more effectively, the meter has to be filled out completely, and sometimes if unlocked, you have the ability to perform a 'special' move depending on which corresponding power you have equipped. It is a massive chore to fill the meter up, because if you get hit, the meter decreases, and it delays you to use the good powers.

Another good thing is the fact that there are numerous amounts of new enemies to be battled! Each new enemy now has a unique fighting style, significantly more different than from the previous God of War games. You will almost never fight the same enemy constantly in this game, as there are new ones coming in constantly, which require you to come up with new tactics in order to defeat them.

A annoyance i discovered in the game is the difficulty system affecting gameplay. Instead of enemies killing you easier as you increase the difficulty, the enemies become harder to kill, which can be such a chore as it will sometimes take forever just to kill your basic enemy.

The story does not explain too much, but it fills in a few gaps about Kratos past and what happened before his pursue on Ares.

The game is still bloody good though, above average quality.

Summary:

Like:
    -Brand new enemies to be fought
    -Improved graphics
    -Fun gameplay

Dislike:
    -Gameplay can be quite repetitive at times.
    -No more badass powers that made God of War, God of War.
    -Difficulty setting makes enemies harder to kill, making combat a chore sometimes.
  45. May 1, 2013
    Ascension is a good game no doubt but when I had finished it i was left feeling a bit unsatisfied. The graphics and combat are as good as ever but it misses that mark that God of War 3 reached. It feels just a bit less grander and epic then 3 did which is a bit disappointing but it is still good enough for your time. On the plus side however Kratos shows his more human side which is niceAscension is a good game no doubt but when I had finished it i was left feeling a bit unsatisfied. The graphics and combat are as good as ever but it misses that mark that God of War 3 reached. It feels just a bit less grander and epic then 3 did which is a bit disappointing but it is still good enough for your time. On the plus side however Kratos shows his more human side which is nice and the battle between the furies on the statue of apollo reminded me how awesome Kratos is. A good game but just missing that spark of brilliance 3 had. Expand
  46. May 25, 2013
    The story is not as good as claimed, Not as cool boss fights as GOW3. Most enemies can be conclusively grabbed then thrown away and the fighting is over all broken. I give it 5 cuz i like GOW2.
  47. Nov 21, 2013
    this is absolutely the most disapointing game released this year,there is only one good thing in this game wich is the graphics and nothing more,it's almost the same of the others god of war.
  48. Nov 22, 2013
    God of War: Ascension was a disappointment and it didn't live upto my expectation was hoping 3 was perfect the way it ended and it would had been the end of the franchise. i played 1, 2 and 3 and it was the best experience i had. the new combat system was really hard to learn and i died a lot of times which made the gameplay more frustrating and the game that is supposed to be solelyGod of War: Ascension was a disappointment and it didn't live upto my expectation was hoping 3 was perfect the way it ended and it would had been the end of the franchise. i played 1, 2 and 3 and it was the best experience i had. the new combat system was really hard to learn and i died a lot of times which made the gameplay more frustrating and the game that is supposed to be solely single player was made multiplayer. introducing multiplayer is the only for the game play biggest mistake ever and it did induce harm on the God Of series. hope the PS4 version is single player. would had rated 6 but for the combat system and for multiplayer -5 Expand
  49. Feb 10, 2014
    While ascension is a fun game and the main mechanics are still satisfying it lacks the punch that god of war 3 had. The story is weak and lacks consequences of any form. The bossfights and new enemies are less memorable. In a desperate attempt to top the last game in the franchise its more violent than ever and at times some finishing moves feel like a snuff film directed by Zack Snyder.
  50. Aug 20, 2015
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay:
    God of War Ascension keeps the gameplay intact from previous entries, while adding new elements to the formula. Unfortunately, some of these new elements were unnecessary. New additions such as the rage meter and "world weapons" felt tacked on and useless. The rage meter felt as if it was rewarding you with a move that was in previous games (The triangle, triangle, triangle move in which Kratos leaps in the air on the last attack). The "world weapons" felt like an inconvenience to use and some of the weapons did not flow well with the combat of GOW. The most annoying element was the fact that magic attacks aren't unlocked until the element is fully upgraded. That is another instance in which the player is rewarded for something that was once available in previous installments. These new additions felt as if they were introduced simply to make the series seem "fresh," without regard of their worth during gameplay.

Story:
    The plot takes place before Chains of Olympus. Kratos has broken his blood oath to Ares and is tortured by the Furies, who punish those who they deem "traitors." This is weakest plot of all the installments. I've played every single God of War, and after beating God of War 3, the Furies seem like such a weak antagonist. It feels as if there was no heart put into the story. Also note that the beginning of the game is similar to GOW3, where you're attacking a very large enemy while also attacking a "main boss."

Graphics:
    The visuals are easily the most impressive asset this game has to offer. The lighting, character models, and set pieces are better than ever! It looks better than some current 8th generation games! It's amazing to see the graphics Sony Santa Monica can pull off on the PS3 and they should be applauded for their skill.

Verdict:
    As a huge God of War fan, I can only recommend it if you're a hardcore fan of the series. Sony once claimed that they were going to be "careful" with the franchise after GOW3, but this is exactly the opposite of that statement. This is an entry than can easily be skipped, as there is nothing groundbreaking that would entice you to play it. The plot is uninspired and a let down compared to other installments. It seems as if the studio has lost its creativity. It's a good overall game when compared to what the industry has to offer, but it's a subpar God of War game.
  51. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome andThis game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome and addicting multiplayer that will keep me playing this one for a while!! Collapse

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]