Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 24, 2010
7.5

1. Apr 25, 2011
    Gran Turismo 5 ,uummm in aword "Disappointing".My preferred genre is racing and every racing game that has been worth playing i've played.Gran Turismo 5 after waiting for approx 6 yrs is well under par, besides graphix the rest of the game is highly questionable.Presentation of menus is a mess ,AI is "STILL" a joke and the overall racing xperience is unexciting to say the least.I preferGran Turismo 5 ,uummm in aword "Disappointing".My preferred genre is racing and every racing game that has been worth playing i've played.Gran Turismo 5 after waiting for approx 6 yrs is well under par, besides graphix the rest of the game is highly questionable.Presentation of menus is a mess ,AI is "STILL" a joke and the overall racing xperience is unexciting to say the least.I prefer NFS shift 2 by along way forget simulator the game is a blast , fun to play , great graphix ,handling needed tweaking , but now this is a great game and i'm sure it wasn't 6 yrs in the making, well done EA.Polyphony don't do another Gran Turismo game unless u fix all the wrongs ,maybe we will see the ultimate gran turismo xperience on the PS4????? Expand
  2. Jun 13, 2013
    Few would deny that Gran Turismo 5 provides as accurate a simulation of driving as any game available on consoles but it’s just not particularly fun to play. Having not played any of the games in the series since Gran Turismo 2 on the PSone it was disappointing to see that very little has changed. Of course the graphics are vastly superior but there is still no vehicle damage, theFew would deny that Gran Turismo 5 provides as accurate a simulation of driving as any game available on consoles but it’s just not particularly fun to play. Having not played any of the games in the series since Gran Turismo 2 on the PSone it was disappointing to see that very little has changed. Of course the graphics are vastly superior but there is still no vehicle damage, the customization options are woeful compared to Forza Motorsport 4 and the license tests are almost identical.

I'm sure there will be some driving game enthusiasts that will sink hour after hour into GT5 but if you’re after something that's a little more enjoyable there are better options available to you.
  3. Jun 5, 2011
    +gameplay +perfect driving experience (even on pad) +lots of cars +lots of tracks
    +virtual **** in premium cars
    +24h cycle and weather changing

-ugly standard cars
    -poor track editor
    -a few things in interface
    -inhuman AI (they drives like robots)
  4. Jun 11, 2011
    I'm not even going to try and deny that GT5 is massively flawed: it's graphically inconsistent, ranging from unbelievably beautiful to downright embarrassing at times, navigating the menus is a chore and the game seems strangely lackadaisical in terms of imposing some structure in the racing events, so nothing prevents you from leaving a pack of Nissan 350z's choking on the dust you kickI'm not even going to try and deny that GT5 is massively flawed: it's graphically inconsistent, ranging from unbelievably beautiful to downright embarrassing at times, navigating the menus is a chore and the game seems strangely lackadaisical in terms of imposing some structure in the racing events, so nothing prevents you from leaving a pack of Nissan 350z's choking on the dust you kick up in a heavily modded Murcielago. But the only thing i really have to say, and i know a lot of people feel the same way, is that, to this day, I feel compelled to play this game for at least a couple of minutes every other day. maybe it's precisely because it is so devoid of personality and goal-oriented 'videogaminess'; it invites you to set your own challenges, create your own experience. To this day i still discover cars that i didn't know were in the game, and it appeals to me on an aesthetic level, to discover a classic car that you had forgotten about, buying it up and trying it out on a track. For me this game is less about the Veyrons and Zondas than about the Giulias and E-types, or trying to get every TVR in the game. Automotive Pokemon, if you will.
    The handling model is, to be frank, the yardstick by which i judge all other racing games, it feels incredible to drive, and while the racing may feel boring at times, i dare you to try and do a lap around the Nordschleife in the Suzuki Escudo Trial car without peeing in your pants a little.
    This is the thing, it doesn't try and stylise or embellish anything, if a car is boring to drive, that's probably because it really is. As a music fan, the fact that i can bypass the lamentable in game music and use my own playlist is bliss, even if the funk that plays in the used car dealership has become a running joke in my household, with everyone playing air slap-bass when it comes on.
    So, yes, it's a flawed, insipid, inconsistent mess of a 'game', and every so often i wish some kind of expansion would come out that would make it as perfect as it wants to be - i wish damage was a thing in this game, i wish the track editor wasn't such a pointless waste, i wish the standard cars just got a minor touch up - but ultimately GT5 is like a family member that you still love despite knowing how they lame they can be.
  5. Jan 6, 2015
    While initially thrilling, providing jaw-droppingly beautiful visuals and indeed as-realistic-as-can-be driving simulation, this huge game eventually ends in a grinding experience that only belongs in freemium games one finds on mobile platforms.
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    I'd say Gran Turismo 5 is a decent game. This game is not for everybody. Some of the cars looks nice and the interior is just amazing. I enjoyed the game as much as I could but of course, when there are pros, there are cons. They mentioned 1000 cars which honestly got me excited, but based on experience... they do have 1000 cars... but probably 100-200 cars are only made for ps3, the otherI'd say Gran Turismo 5 is a decent game. This game is not for everybody. Some of the cars looks nice and the interior is just amazing. I enjoyed the game as much as I could but of course, when there are pros, there are cons. They mentioned 1000 cars which honestly got me excited, but based on experience... they do have 1000 cars... but probably 100-200 cars are only made for ps3, the other 800 looks like they were ported from the ps2 game. Not all cars can be bought in the dealership instead, most of the cars can be randomly seen in the used dealership. You need to wait one in-game day for new cars to show up in the used dealership. I tried online and i cant barely go back for the second time. I didn't find the online user interface ( user interface in general for the whole game) to be friendly. So much options are crammed into the screen and it's such a big game that loading times were still long even if i installed the game.

The AI of this game is really dumb. I got through the game without any problem. This game is so easy for new and specially advance players.

All in all, this game plays well, but it is a disappointment for me. They could have done it better and hopefully Gran Turismo 6 will be what Gran Turismo 5 should have been.
  7. Jul 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very good game to play, and the attention to detail is stunning (but it's not perfect). It is almost a perfect simulator if you want to get as close to the real thing as possible. But one thing that disappoints me (and, I'm sure others) is how the 800 of those 1,000 cars are standard cars (standard cars do not have interiors that can be viewed while driving, and the attention to detail isn't entirely there). It also bothers me how some of today's cars (the Bugatti Veyron, shockingly) are the standard cars. Also, most of those 800 cars were ripped straight out of GT4. Very lazy, and downright disappointing for five years in the works. The AI is also quite laughable. If you are all racing a Ferrari F10, it's not a challenge at all. It's almost UN-realistic racing against them. I can pull off a Lewis Hamilton on them better than Lewis HIMSELF can. Expand
  8. Aug 16, 2012
    Gran Turismo 5 is an odd game to sum up, mainly because there are some things that don't really make sense. Like, why would the ending credits play only on the third out of five championships, surely, it would make more sense, if you completed all the races before you completed the game. Also, I don't get why some cars are premium and they look fantastic whereas most of the cars areGran Turismo 5 is an odd game to sum up, mainly because there are some things that don't really make sense. Like, why would the ending credits play only on the third out of five championships, surely, it would make more sense, if you completed all the races before you completed the game. Also, I don't get why some cars are premium and they look fantastic whereas most of the cars are standard, and to be honest, despite the high resolution, the standard cars a rather blocky and un-detailed. It would have been much better and easier if the game developers took a bit more time to make all the cars to the premium standard. Furthermore, the menu on GT4 was far more innovative and it was kind of fun just navigating it, the new menu on GT5 is a basic one faced menu with several static boring square which you can move over to. I preferred the second hand shops on GT4; it was easier to find what you wanted, whereas in GT5 you just sort of have to look and buy what you can, and most of the time it's not what you want. There are some races which require a specific type of car, and these can be frustrating to get hold of, becoming a hindrance to game progress. As always the licence tests are hard but possible, albeit challenging. getting a gold or silver even isn't too hard, but it can take a dozen attempts to get gold sometimes. One thing that would improve the game is that every few months or so a free update should come out with a hundreds or so new cars in it, just to keep the game a bit more new and interesting; its boring buying the same old premium cars. The last thing I have a problem with in GT5 is the online; it takes forever to join a lobby and when you finally get in one, you might find it's rubbish, (which 99% of lobbys are) which means you then need to spend ages leaving and ages finding and rejoining another. Despite these large but rather forgiveable problems the game has great driving physics and some of the cars are to and amazing standard of quality. the level of customization is good, but there should be a much wider range of parts available, as there is only one option for each part, for example if you want a Limited slip differential, there is only one you can choose to purchase. I'm just suggesting things now but there should also be tiers of tuning upgrades, so when you have purchased a certain quantity of tier 1 parts, a whole new set of tier 2 parts become available so that you can optimize your car further, these parts should cost considerably more and make smaller changes in the performance. Finally, the racing is fun and you may be wondering why I gave it an 8 even though I've said so much negative stuff. Well even though it fails a lot in many ways the gameplay itself is fun and you can go for hours racing and winning cars, spending money on them and entering more races and gradually working your way up the ladder. I found that theres a wall around the 400,000 credits mark where its hard to get much richer, as I always get this amount, then get bored of not doing anything, so I blow it on a new Ferrari or a new tuning car. The custom track maker is the most disappointing part, I went on it expecting being able to draw a specific circuit I had in mind, but instead, it gives you a randomised course which you can slightly alter using options such as length, corner sharpness, track width, track camber, and more boring stuff. You normally end up with a circuit which is nothing like any other real race course and the environment is very plain. what makes this games rating so high is the number of cars, the quality of the graphics, but mainly the amazing driving physics and because it's fun to play. Too bad there are so many problems with it though.

Nowadays you can pick it up cheap, so if you haven't done so already get it, it's well worth the buy, one of the best racing games available, but done get your hopes too high if you think they're going to improve on GT4
  9. Aug 8, 2011
    Reading through these reviews, I think its kind of amusing. I honestly cant understand how low this game is reviewed; especially considering how much content it provides. I especially dont understand how somebody could review a game low because of the music; When I race GT5, I hear Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as my background music; if you decide to stick with the stock music (over 80Reading through these reviews, I think its kind of amusing. I honestly cant understand how low this game is reviewed; especially considering how much content it provides. I especially dont understand how somebody could review a game low because of the music; When I race GT5, I hear Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as my background music; if you decide to stick with the stock music (over 80 something tracks; I don't use any of them but many of them are very good) when it gives you the option to use your own, then your obviously biased against the game for one reason or another.

The graphics are top notch the majority of the time, with occasional headscratchers regarding standard level cars; but the majority of standard level cars look as good as what you'll see in forza 3 (and with the lower anti-aliasing; forza's all look less crisp) - but when I see everything in view crisp and clear, I consider that top notch. Especially when keeping 60 fps the whole time. To be honest, I've had GT5 since release; and I still cant put it down. I purchased Forza 3 a week after I got my copy of GT5; I traded it in before christmas. When it comes to a driving simulation, GT5 is at the top; its far from perfect, but I cant see myself playing anything else. Highly reccomend you check out Classic Game Room's review of both GT5 and Forza 3; It'll give you a good account of the pro's and con's of each game. Whether you enjoy one or the other is up to taste.
  10. Aug 9, 2011
    Gran Turismo 5 just isn't what it needs to be considering its time in development. Right when you start the game up it gives you option of installing it to hard drive or to just play. Fight the urge to just play. This shouldn't even be an option. With the game installed on the hard drive the loading times are still atrocious. Loading from just one menu to the next can be upwards of 45Gran Turismo 5 just isn't what it needs to be considering its time in development. Right when you start the game up it gives you option of installing it to hard drive or to just play. Fight the urge to just play. This shouldn't even be an option. With the game installed on the hard drive the loading times are still atrocious. Loading from just one menu to the next can be upwards of 45 seconds. And the menu design itself is horrendous. When you finally get to the driving it is as good as you'd expect from a Gran Turismo game. So it has that going for it, which is the most important part. I can't say it makes up for its flaws though. The AI is depressingly bad. You can sit at a dead stop in the middle of a straight away and the AI will run right into you. Graphically the game is both good and bad. The Premium cars are really stunning, but there are very few of them. And the ones that are premium seems arbitrarily chosen. You have cars like the Volkswagon Schwimmwagon which is premium, but a car like the Veyron isn't. I'll never understand that. The sound in the game is another gripe. The cars really sound uninspired as well. The game is a good racer, but really leaves a lot to be desired in virtually every other area. Expand
  11. Aug 25, 2011
    I would have given a 10 as the game play is superb. Steering wheel/pedals is a must! The loading times and menu layout is horrible. In all honesty if i were to play for 5 hours and in that time i wanted to play online as well as tournaments, licenses etc i would probably get about 3.5 hrs of game play the rest of the time I'm sitting around waiting for it to load and wasting many minutesI would have given a 10 as the game play is superb. Steering wheel/pedals is a must! The loading times and menu layout is horrible. In all honesty if i were to play for 5 hours and in that time i wanted to play online as well as tournaments, licenses etc i would probably get about 3.5 hrs of game play the rest of the time I'm sitting around waiting for it to load and wasting many minutes navigating the menu screens which could have been set out better to save time. Very bad development there - seems as though the game developers are trying to make life difficult. I will also point out that maintenance of your cars cost too many credits, and once you have repaired damages - you have have to spend the same amount of credits after the next race. This game needs a massive investment of your time - and at the end of the day its just a game! i would rather spend that time Go karting in real life! not in my bedroom!!. You wouldn't be able to enjoy this game playing it part time its more like a full time job. Expand
  12. Oct 10, 2011
    I just finished playing my 60th-ish hour of gameplay on GT5 and i must say i can't figure how people put 0-1's on a game. First off - Graphics , theyre good , yes theres 800 cars that are exactly the same as GT4 HD but , since they are the low end vehicule , you will only have them for 4-5 hours max in your whole gaming experience then you have those little beauties waiting for you. GameI just finished playing my 60th-ish hour of gameplay on GT5 and i must say i can't figure how people put 0-1's on a game. First off - Graphics , theyre good , yes theres 800 cars that are exactly the same as GT4 HD but , since they are the low end vehicule , you will only have them for 4-5 hours max in your whole gaming experience then you have those little beauties waiting for you. Game play - nothing new , but i must say when you desactivate the assistance and everything , it gets better (that's a little tip right there). Then there's it's lifetime - if you do every liscences to get gold it's at least a 6-7 hours , then there are the 6-7 race "difficulty" and thats at least 60h+ gameplay and then there is the special events and the season events that gets you a good 10-20 hours at least . so ... you can't say you tested the game until you get at least to professionnal race class ( 10-20ish hours). Last , the soundtrack ..aint got much to say about it , its nice , not distracting you but makes the race a little bit nicer.

I Loved it , aint worth 10 , but 8 is a base .... until update 2.0...
  13. Nov 7, 2011
    Several hundred hours in, and a platinum trophy asides, I believe I am now able to give a proper review of this Beast of a Racing Sim. Spec 2.0 has defiinitely improved upon a good game, giving in the car camera angle to all cars, not just premium cars however with the exception of the Caterham and Jay Leno tank car, the in car camera at best feels like your driving a hood-less van all theSeveral hundred hours in, and a platinum trophy asides, I believe I am now able to give a proper review of this Beast of a Racing Sim. Spec 2.0 has defiinitely improved upon a good game, giving in the car camera angle to all cars, not just premium cars however with the exception of the Caterham and Jay Leno tank car, the in car camera at best feels like your driving a hood-less van all the time with standard cars. The tracks are prettier in other games, but none have quite the same feel, the physics are incredible, now with new car packs coming out, on top of the new cars given to you when spec 2.0 came along, now is the time to get this game. Like it or not It's Still the King Of The Hill. Expand
  14. Nov 2, 2011
    A very fun realistic racer but some parts will leave you pissed off espically after racing the same circuits over and over again grinding for money for the right cars and tune ups.
  15. Jan 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a year after the release of Gran Turismo 5.
    And boy oh boy does it really improve itself from a great but filled with flaws racing sim to the one
    that leave all the haters in the dust because they can't seem to hate it anymore!
    Since December 2010 PD released alot of updates fixing bugs and problems in the game.
    They fixed so many things that i can't remember how many.
    Gran Turismo 5 appeared to really killed many of its main issues.
    They added seasonal events to compensate for the lack of in game a-spec,b-spec events,
    Added simplified interior views to all standard cars and ability to put rims on it and those rims
    are not standard its premium in detail!
    PD also improved race sound effects and add few free premium cars and two packs of DLCs
    (As of january 2012)
    And more still to come.
    Polyphony Digital is a kind of company that listens to their customers and fans and fans also
    appears to be devoting their lives to give all the input and feedback to PD for improvement.
    Something that many of the today's game companies really lacked of.
    I don't think the 5000 characters limit is even enough to describe how much Gran Turismo 5 have changed in a year.
    A big 10 will be reward to PD to all of their hard work not just to release the game but also
    keep improving just like their fans want with extra surprises along the way.
    But one thing i can say for sure that "The king of racing game is on its way back to the top!"
  16. Nov 23, 2011
    Realistic graphics with a giant selection of cars, a drawback being that even at such a large selection, it still felt lacking (how many EVOs are there again???). The racing is fairly intuitive and the track selection is amazing, but it still feels like something is missing. They developed for so long that my expectation was through the roof and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, itRealistic graphics with a giant selection of cars, a drawback being that even at such a large selection, it still felt lacking (how many EVOs are there again???). The racing is fairly intuitive and the track selection is amazing, but it still feels like something is missing. They developed for so long that my expectation was through the roof and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, it feels as though not enough innovation was done to make this truly feel like a new game, rather than an upgraded one. By no means is this a bad game and for anyone new to the series, well, prepare to be immersed in quite a learning curve, but at the same time for any fan of the series, I think we can all agree that there was a special piece of innovation missing from Polyphony this time around. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    I don't know if it has better or worst graphics from Forza, I don't care that it has the double car list from it, I don't even care if it take a day for a track to load... Every time I step behind my wheel controller in to the virtual driver's seat of a s2000 and I struggle to maintain control as I try to overtake an opponent on a blind turn, I think "this is a real driving simulator"...
  18. Mar 13, 2012
    Years of development, a record breaking budget, unprecedented amounts of hype and a vote of confidence from a World Champion F1 driver. It just couldn't have gone wrong for Gran Turismo 5, and yet it did. What happened to those realistic damage effect? Absent. The state of the art game mechanics? Absent. The thrill of the most accurate racing simulator ever created? Present, I suppose. ItsYears of development, a record breaking budget, unprecedented amounts of hype and a vote of confidence from a World Champion F1 driver. It just couldn't have gone wrong for Gran Turismo 5, and yet it did. What happened to those realistic damage effect? Absent. The state of the art game mechanics? Absent. The thrill of the most accurate racing simulator ever created? Present, I suppose. Its realistic visuals and game play don't make for an enjoyable game. Its enthusiasm for its topic is admirable, but as a game Gran Turismo is just a very expensive encyclopaedia with a very good simulator tacked on to demonstrate the topic of choice. Then there was the menus, great god in heave the menus, that would navigate at snail pace and demand most of your play time. I'm going to stop here, I've made my point already. Gran Turismo is not nearly as great as I hoped it to be, but at least the car nuts among us will love it. Expand
  19. Apr 4, 2012
    Initiated in 2008 with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, the turn of Gran Turismo HD appropriately ends with a somewhat chaotic GT5 ultimately disappointing in many respects, proof that Polyphony Digital has not really been able to challenge. Through its stuck in another age (AI fails, the management of damage to existing sentence, the bumps) and sealed by a few aberrations (Premium and StandardInitiated in 2008 with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, the turn of Gran Turismo HD appropriately ends with a somewhat chaotic GT5 ultimately disappointing in many respects, proof that Polyphony Digital has not really been able to challenge. Through its stuck in another age (AI fails, the management of damage to existing sentence, the bumps) and sealed by a few aberrations (Premium and Standard models in mind), the saga of Kazunori Yamauchi barely even sometimes regain its former levels with some graphics and a patchy solo career certainly dense and varied, but not as gargantuan as before. Poorly integrated, the multiplayer will not change much, not to mention the B-Spec and the track editor. Expand
  20. Feb 1, 2013
    This is like my first racing game, and I guess I don't have much to compare with, but I LOVE IT. There are just SO many things to do, and I really like how the cars handle. Gorgeous graphics too!
  21. May 5, 2012
    I have fond memories of playing the previous GT titles but this one was the first to disappoint. I game generally takes 3 years to develop unless it is an annual sports title, and for this title, which began as a tech demo at E3 in 2005, took 5yrs to release with prologue titles released to the public somewhere in between. 5yrs of development and focus on giving players the largest garageI have fond memories of playing the previous GT titles but this one was the first to disappoint. I game generally takes 3 years to develop unless it is an annual sports title, and for this title, which began as a tech demo at E3 in 2005, took 5yrs to release with prologue titles released to the public somewhere in between. 5yrs of development and focus on giving players the largest garage possible brought hopes to everyone that it was going to be a very well polished game. But trying to fit over 1000 cars, with the same level of detail, seemed to feel a bit challenging; and it was. To compensate time and money Polyphony did something I was not expecting in this current generation of video gaming. They ported cars from the PS2 title, GT4, into their new PS3 title, GT5. Not only that, but they only "polished" up about 200-250 cars they labeled as "premium." Premium cars had higher levels of detail and offered in-car features such as fully functioning interiors specific to make and model. The other 800 or so cars did not have interior view options and had lower quality graphics and poor shading (i.e. shadow quality) and poor light reflection on the glass. To top it all off, polyphony is not ashamed to praise the japanese automotive industry and, once again, offer about 1/4 of their line-up to the JDM makers. A flaw to this, as you could guess, is that several premium cars are in fact duplicates of each other. But anyone who has played the GT series knows that it is just something to deal with because this is a japanese game that gives tribute to the automobile and what better way than to give toast to your native car. My personal issue with this individual GT title is the lack of customization. GT4 offered some interesting features to this by adding in nitrous and spoilers. GT5 tries to enhance these features by offering some minor body mods but they're limited. Microsoft's Turn10 studio has been producing the xbox equivalent, Forza Motorsports, for several years now and they are up to their 4th title. Since the very begining they have offered players a feature that still to this day GT does not have, painting. Because of this feature Forza's 600-800 car garage turns into about 4,000, while GT5 is limited to it's stock 1000+. however, I will praise polyphony for continuing to make "LM" versions of various cars (which some can now be found in DLC). If body was not the only issue it is the sound. If there are two things about cars that make this so addictive it is the look and the sound. So is so important to a car junkie and this game, once again, fails as it. But that is an understandable draw back when you, as I mentioned before, try to fit 1000+ cars into a game. I cannot even begin to describe the horror that my ears are forced to listen too when playing around with some of the cars. There is no excuse to this level of failure anymore. In the end the game is still a solid racing sim, but no matter how beautiful it looks on the outside, or how flawed it sounds when the cars come roaring passed the replay camera, it is still the same game I have been playing since 1999. Fanboys will hate me for this review but remember, I was one too. GT4 used to fill up my afternoon time after school every day and the hopes of a GT5 was all I cared about. Forza 2 & 3 were my "fix" until its release. But that has all changed now and I cannot see myself going back to the GT series unless they fix what they have always tried to deliver... perfection. Expand
  22. May 9, 2012
    What? Wait, what? Is this even the game of the series. Gran Turismo 5 is awful, boring and not realistic at all. It is complicated and is already the same game. Gran Turismo 4 was better in many ways, because was a masterpiece, then what, this awful game released . TERRIBLE!
  23. Jan 21, 2013
    This game is very good!!! It´s one of the best racing games i've ever played and it's awesome. There is so much to do and many costumize options to change your car and even your character and the other pilots on B-Spec. It's fun to play and many friends of mine agree with me, that GT5 it's better than Forza 4. The only "bad" thing is that your car doesn´t get much damage, butThis game is very good!!! It´s one of the best racing games i've ever played and it's awesome. There is so much to do and many costumize options to change your car and even your character and the other pilots on B-Spec. It's fun to play and many friends of mine agree with me, that GT5 it's better than Forza 4. The only "bad" thing is that your car doesn´t get much damage, but you can change that in options, so it doesn't mather Expand
  24. Nov 3, 2012
    The fact that Gran Turismo doesn't care what other race series are doing and just does what it does best is inspiring. Gran Turismo takes everything which made the previous games great, adds more and stirs it with a new look, The main Gran Turismo mode makes you deal with handling money, buying cars, tuning those cars and racing them. Which is great. The A-spec mode you drive the carThe fact that Gran Turismo doesn't care what other race series are doing and just does what it does best is inspiring. Gran Turismo takes everything which made the previous games great, adds more and stirs it with a new look, The main Gran Turismo mode makes you deal with handling money, buying cars, tuning those cars and racing them. Which is great. The A-spec mode you drive the car directly thus earning money. B-Spec you train a driver to become the best of the best and you earn their money. Both A-Spec and B-Spec money go into the same pot and can be spent on new parts/cars e.t.c. Cars can be used in both of the Specs. There also is special events to do such as go-karting, touring in a car and many more which also earn money to be spent. This all comes together to make the Gran Turismo mode so very addictive, rewarding and thrilling as you make the risks rather than being told to by some NPC. The arcade mode just lets you get straight into all of the thrills and spills without any need of handling any money or in-depth tuning. In this is a variety of challenges such as a drifting challenge, a lap time challenge, split-screen, e.t.c. Its all extremely entertaining and is perfect for family and friend competitions. The racing itself demonstrates the picture perfect graphics, the in depth car interiors, the thrilling racing, dynamic racing mechanics and so much more. I personally enjoyed every bit of this game and couldn't think of any fault. If you enjoy games which require real thinking and strategy, this is for you. If you prefer games which don't require you to potentially make decisions which could **** up all your work you'd done on the game, I recommend Burnout paradise(another brilliant game with more of a up beat tone). Sorry for the boring review. I just wanted to get down actual facts which people haven't seem to done on this metacritic page, I haven't really touched on all of what makes Gran Turismo 5 great but I truly recommend this game. Expand
  25. Sep 3, 2012
    I can say that Gran Turismo 5 is a really nice game. It shows realistic animations, awesome types of cars, and terrific graphics. The gameplay is superb, but It's kind of disappointing. This game isn't a masterpiece, but really enjoys you with the realistic and fun racing. However, multiplayer was a great joy that i had, and the singleplayer is huge, because it haves a lot of levels,I can say that Gran Turismo 5 is a really nice game. It shows realistic animations, awesome types of cars, and terrific graphics. The gameplay is superb, but It's kind of disappointing. This game isn't a masterpiece, but really enjoys you with the realistic and fun racing. However, multiplayer was a great joy that i had, and the singleplayer is huge, because it haves a lot of levels, exactly like Gran Turismo 4. if you look for a terrific racing game, Gran Turismo is the choice. 88 out of 100 Expand
  26. Aug 22, 2012
    This game is hype over hype. The graphics are good with the correct gars, driving is good, with the correct cars, but those correct cars are to few near to the 1.000 models, there are just about 100 that have quality, the rest is just like, white papers in the middle off a report so it would look bigger. Sound is abysmal. They said they worked on this game 6 years, I can not see this to beThis game is hype over hype. The graphics are good with the correct gars, driving is good, with the correct cars, but those correct cars are to few near to the 1.000 models, there are just about 100 that have quality, the rest is just like, white papers in the middle off a report so it would look bigger. Sound is abysmal. They said they worked on this game 6 years, I can not see this to be true, this game was made in less than 2 years for sure. Expand
  27. Sep 1, 2012
    this is the worst racing game I have played since days of thunder on nes. the graphics look awesome for 1992, and the ai and rule set are as consistent as polar ice in August. I have never played a gran turismo game before, so maybe this one is less terrible than the previous version, but it certainly looks and plays much worse than need for speed 1 on Xbox, way way way worse. consideringthis is the worst racing game I have played since days of thunder on nes. the graphics look awesome for 1992, and the ai and rule set are as consistent as polar ice in August. I have never played a gran turismo game before, so maybe this one is less terrible than the previous version, but it certainly looks and plays much worse than need for speed 1 on Xbox, way way way worse. considering iIcan buy need for speed 1 for 5 dollars these days, I would say gran turismo 5 is worth about 20 cents, if you also include the fact that it is technically a blue ray disk. in fact, I think a corrupted and unplayable version of the disk might be more valuable. Expand
  28. Nov 5, 2012
    Well Well Well, its difficult write a opinion of this game, because it have 2 faces: the wonderful and the awful. the wonderful is the premiun cars, licences, some great tracks, outstanding simulation gameplay. The awful is the confuse multiplayer, the graphics around tracks (people or papers?), constant frame-rate problems (cars in snow, squares and squares). Good game, but i expectedWell Well Well, its difficult write a opinion of this game, because it have 2 faces: the wonderful and the awful. the wonderful is the premiun cars, licences, some great tracks, outstanding simulation gameplay. The awful is the confuse multiplayer, the graphics around tracks (people or papers?), constant frame-rate problems (cars in snow, squares and squares). Good game, but i expected better, Forza 4 is better, and Horizon is consistent better. Expand
  29. Dec 2, 2012
    this is a good game, with good aspects and graphic, however, needs a lot of time to loading somethings like, race, cars and license tests. If you like race games, i advise you buy it.
  30. Dec 5, 2013
    this game is not bad but it becomes a bit boring there issn't really much fun in it either just racing winning buying cars and that's it
    well lucky for the online lobby there is something fun to do you can play with other drivers and do what you want really drag races cops and robers but when that are all things that the gamers have made none of the polyphony studio has done that and if you look at the game it's just a waste of time afterwards i mean racing 24 hours for a single race come one that's just b**sh**t and then not even winning that's frustrating
    sure it's realistic but even then i mean game's aren't ment to be a part of your live the time you stick in this game is imense and the game itzelf is actualy a boring
  31. Jan 20, 2013
    Its a very good game hindered by far too many flaws. The divide between premium and standard cars is a letdown, along with the shoddy damage physics. For a game that was in development for so long, it often seems half-finished. But if you get past all of its drawbacks, you'll find a game with a very good car list (aside from the amount of nissans) Driving physics that are great once youIts a very good game hindered by far too many flaws. The divide between premium and standard cars is a letdown, along with the shoddy damage physics. For a game that was in development for so long, it often seems half-finished. But if you get past all of its drawbacks, you'll find a game with a very good car list (aside from the amount of nissans) Driving physics that are great once you get past a steep learning curve, and a sense of class that is virtually nonexistent in almost all other video games, including main rival Forza Motorsport. If you can get past its many issues, and its emphasis on "simulator" over "game," its a very enjoyable product, but keep in mind that dealing with its flaws takes effort, unless you're a die-hard GT fan. Expand
  32. Feb 9, 2013
    I got this game back in Christmas '11. It was my first racing game I used with my G27 wheel I got at the same time. At first, the game was hard to navigate and understand but once you get past that, it was fun to race with the A.I and online.
  33. Jul 6, 2014
    The best realistic racing game ever now made still. Only thing you have to take account of. That it take's so much space.(more than 10GB with dlc packs)Loading is also very annoying to wait sometimes 1-3mins. Detail in cars and tracks are the thing why this are so good game. Best racing game franchise for now 9/10.
  34. Feb 26, 2013
    7 out of 10, I was expecting so much from this game. There's something missing here, I can't quite put my finger on it. But it's like the developer is making us play the game HE wants to play and not the game, we all want..... (cough Forza) I don't own an Xbox, but I know what Forza is about. Now if those two games could get together and have a baby, I think it would be what we are all7 out of 10, I was expecting so much from this game. There's something missing here, I can't quite put my finger on it. But it's like the developer is making us play the game HE wants to play and not the game, we all want..... (cough Forza) I don't own an Xbox, but I know what Forza is about. Now if those two games could get together and have a baby, I think it would be what we are all looking for. Lots of cars, great graphics, but the tuning seems so simplified, the customization is totally lacking, the races are boring, it all seems to be a bit of a grind. I am hoping GT6 and GT7 will be much better. Or a new series comes along to take the PS3 racing crown. Expand
  35. Mar 6, 2013
    I`m playing it in 2013, that may be why I feel so disappointed. Honestly I can`t find anything different from the old ones, the mistake are all there. It`s a good gameplay, great graphics, but they could evolve, and the didn`t. I was hoping for new challenges, new ways to get the cars, and nothing. It`s the good old GT, nothing else.
  36. May 22, 2013
    After being a huge fan of GT4 I was excited for this when I first got it. However after playing for about two hours I realised that I was becoming more and more bored with the game. I don't even know what exactly made it boring, it was just not as good as the previous installments. The one saving grace is the graphical quality of GT5, especially if your PS3 is set up in 720p. OverallAfter being a huge fan of GT4 I was excited for this when I first got it. However after playing for about two hours I realised that I was becoming more and more bored with the game. I don't even know what exactly made it boring, it was just not as good as the previous installments. The one saving grace is the graphical quality of GT5, especially if your PS3 is set up in 720p. Overall though, GT5 just seems so boring compared to the others in the series. Expand
  37. Apr 29, 2013
    GT5 is 1 of my favorite games of all time and finishes GT3&4 with the best in quality, replay-ability, realism, production, game play(on & off line). I believe that this game has been out for at least 3 or more years & Polyphony continues to create Seasonal Events, which brings me back if I have not played it for several weeks, since they release a new event every week.
    I'm an older
    I'm an older player, who cannot compete in the FPS games anymore when online & if I do not keep my skill level up, then I am unable to compete online either.
    This game remains highly competitive and thrives because of the tuning features that are individual for each car. You simply cannot copy your setup from one car to another. I still can't compete at NASCAR at all.
  38. Aug 20, 2013
    This game keeps up the great stuff that Gran Turismo is known for. it has a huge assortment of cars, it's fun, the controls are great, and the online is pretty good too. although the damage and AI could use some work. but all in all, it's one of my games on the ps3.
  39. Jul 17, 2013
    Gran Turismo 5 is an excellent simulation racer. The only disappointing part to the game play is the paper thin bystanders whom occasionally wave their arms around in excitement. The physics and amount of detail put into the vehicles is outstanding and allows for hours of tuning and racing, creating a more in depth experience. Don't listen to the reviews that say 0/10 because this gameGran Turismo 5 is an excellent simulation racer. The only disappointing part to the game play is the paper thin bystanders whom occasionally wave their arms around in excitement. The physics and amount of detail put into the vehicles is outstanding and allows for hours of tuning and racing, creating a more in depth experience. Don't listen to the reviews that say 0/10 because this game deserves far more credit then that. As much as I like Forza 3, which is a very good racer, I prefer Gran Turismo 5 more. Expand
  40. Jul 27, 2013
    Let me start by saying that the Gran Turismo series is my favorite gaming franchise of all time. I absolutely love these games, so it does pain me to give this a 6/10--but I think this title truly deserves it.
    The actual driving aspect gets a whole-hearted 10/10. It's the best, most realistic racing experience you can find in the virtual world (even if an aggressive driver can squash the AI with little difficulty). However, three things make this the worst title in the series in my opinion.
    1. The game is short; there are a very limited number of actual races in career mode, and a distinct lacking in races against actual race cars. The developers seemed to notice this, and if you connect online, you can participate in numerous "seasonal events", which are essentially additional career races with tight restrictions and huge payouts. You can technically double the number of races with the new B-Spec mode, but that just involves coaching a moronic AI through the same races you've already completed.
    2. The level system. This game introduces a driver level that actually means something (unlike the one in GT4). You cannot drive or purchase a car above your level. This initially seemed like a decent idea to me, since the learning curve on this game is relatively high, forcing novices to drive slow cars for a while to learn the ropes isn't a bad thing. The problem arises when the levels increase slower than your progress in the game, and you can't buy the cars you need for the races. The other downside (as in my case) involves people who come into the game with a considerable skill level and are reduced to driving 1990's Japanese compacts for a few hours to level up.
    3. The developers were lazy. The Gran Turismo series is also known for being the prettiest racing game available, not just the most realistic. But in this title, many car models were reused from previous releases with little to no graphical upgrading. It seems like only the cars making their debut in GT5 are rendered fresh for the PS3. This means that nearly every car returning from GT3 and GT4 has a car model with PS2 quality graphics. Frankly, this is unacceptable given the amount of time this game was in development.
    Of course, there are lots of positives to this game (it finally has a decent online community), but as a lover of the franchise, all I really saw was how much this game paled in comparison to its predecessors. It's still worth buying, because no other game offers quite the same experience. Just don't expect it to be as breathtaking or engaging as it should be..
  41. Feb 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. New game, old tricks, old dog.

Graphics: 8/10

The new graphics for some cars are really good, and the scenarios look really good. The game feels great. However, some models look as ugly as ****, looking straight from GT4, and it hasn't aged that well.
    May i add that the standard cars look like **** **** and you can't use a cockpit camera? Well, thats the real story.

Story/Career Mode: 7/10

Although the game still forces you to start with snails, the waiting time is much shorter, and once you get fast cars, it feels rewarding for once. However, if you don't have a PSN count, SOL mate. You still have to grind since the fundmental system has stayed the same.

Gameplay: 5/10

The fundmental basics have changed slightly, with the damage model being slightly more advanced. However, annoying engine noises, mindless 24 hour races, and all that, still there. Its incredible how much these guys stagnated. Lazy *****. This makes the game boring after a while, and the game eventually becomes a glorified winning only game when you have super fast tuned cars and extremely overpowered B-Spec drivers.

OVERALL: Improvement over GT4. Not anything else in particular though...

RATING: 7/10
  42. Apr 11, 2016
    This game is tough to recommend as a great video game--I'm not sure that it is. However, it is a great racing/driving simulator. That may sound weird, but if you are not a serious racing fan, I'm not sure how much you will enjoy Gran Turismo 5. If you ARE a racing fan or just love cars, you will surely be delighted with what Gran Turismo 5 has to offer.
  43. Dec 8, 2013
    Gran Turismo 5 is a game that tries to do too much and in the process doesn't really do anything well.

Terrible menu navigation, long loading times, unnecessarily grinding career progression, fugly and awkward to obtain standard models, vacuum cleaner car sounds, no damage...the list seriously does go on. However, when the game gets it right, for example a premium modelled car on the

However, when the game gets it right, for example a premium modelled car on the Nurburgring in the rain with changing time the game is LIGHTYEARS ahead of anything out there. The only problem is that the best of Gran Turismo 5 does not come together often enough to make this game what it could be which is a shame.
  44. Jan 27, 2014
    Gt 5 follows the scheme the others gt, that is to say you play racing and game credits, with this credits you can buy other cars. The game have good graphics (but with serious errors like the cars no premiums), the gameplay is very good and every car have a behavior different, in the other hand b-aspect mode is boring and adds nothing to the game, the racing in general are boring becauseGt 5 follows the scheme the others gt, that is to say you play racing and game credits, with this credits you can buy other cars. The game have good graphics (but with serious errors like the cars no premiums), the gameplay is very good and every car have a behavior different, in the other hand b-aspect mode is boring and adds nothing to the game, the racing in general are boring because always wins with have a more powerful car, the damage in cars only are available in high levels. Gt should think in make a more direct game for the next gt. Expand
  45. Oct 7, 2014
    I used to play Gran Turismo 4 and it was one of my favourite racers. Now that i've picked up GT5 i'm hit with a wave of nostalgia, from the menu music, to that grind that makes buying cars a rather satisfying achievement to even the HUD style. If you're looking for a perfect racing game with consistent quality you might be dissapointed with a few things, but for me, GT5 is playable, andI used to play Gran Turismo 4 and it was one of my favourite racers. Now that i've picked up GT5 i'm hit with a wave of nostalgia, from the menu music, to that grind that makes buying cars a rather satisfying achievement to even the HUD style. If you're looking for a perfect racing game with consistent quality you might be dissapointed with a few things, but for me, GT5 is playable, and offers more content with a dollop of high quality in certain places. Expand
  46. May 1, 2015
    Gran Turismo have this addiction factor for me. I played the first one, and now, some 15 years later, I am playing GT5. Nothing really seemed to have changed, but the good thing is that the game is exciting in exactly the same way it was 2 decades ago.
  47. Nov 4, 2014
    This game is the definition of perfect driving simulation. Everything about it, the cars, the driving and the simulation. Several years after this game was released, I still play it on a regular basis. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who has a Play Station. I find it to be better than the GT 6, mostly because GT 6 was almost an exact replica of GT 5, with only a few addedThis game is the definition of perfect driving simulation. Everything about it, the cars, the driving and the simulation. Several years after this game was released, I still play it on a regular basis. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who has a Play Station. I find it to be better than the GT 6, mostly because GT 6 was almost an exact replica of GT 5, with only a few added cars and increased graphics. 10/10,would recommend. Expand
  48. Nov 20, 2014
    After many years of anticipation and patience, Gran Turismo 5 isn't the game it potentially could've been. Although the amount of content is incredible, the majority of this content is plagued by cars from the previous series back on the Playstation 2 console. In fact, some of the game looks very similar to the last generation. The game has improved much since its release through patches,After many years of anticipation and patience, Gran Turismo 5 isn't the game it potentially could've been. Although the amount of content is incredible, the majority of this content is plagued by cars from the previous series back on the Playstation 2 console. In fact, some of the game looks very similar to the last generation. The game has improved much since its release through patches, but after numerous delays, Polyphony Digital have produced a good racing game which could have offered much more from their capabilities Expand
  49. Aug 30, 2016
    GT5 es tener en las manos un diamante, empezar a tallarlo de puta madre y a mitad de camino cagarla y venderlo. 1200 coches de los cuales 900 son completamente pasables, otros tantos son un remake descarado de los del GT4, puede que en 2010 con mucha gente con pantallas CRT no se notara, pero ahora en Full HD duele a la vista. Cagada. Encima los nuevos vehículos de nivel GT5 son un pocoGT5 es tener en las manos un diamante, empezar a tallarlo de puta madre y a mitad de camino cagarla y venderlo. 1200 coches de los cuales 900 son completamente pasables, otros tantos son un remake descarado de los del GT4, puede que en 2010 con mucha gente con pantallas CRT no se notara, pero ahora en Full HD duele a la vista. Cagada. Encima los nuevos vehículos de nivel GT5 son un poco sin ton ni son, no hay ni un coche nuevo de competición de una marca europea quitando F1 y algún clásico de los 70. BMW GT3? Nada. SLS AMG GT3? A tu puta casa. AUDI de competición? Lol, un prototipo diesel de Le Mans. Pero eso si, el Fiat 500 a todo detalle. Venga ya. Encima estos coches remakeados del GT4 no se venden nuevos, solo en el concesionario de 2ª mano. De los 900 tienes 30 cada 5 carreras. Suerte buscando el que necesitas, colega. Lo mismo con los circuitos, el de Mónaco por ejemplo es un copypaste del del GT4. Otro problema grave que tiene es el dividir TODO EL JUEGO en A-Spec y B-Spec, por lo que para jugar a carreras de 24h, o te las haces tú enteritas o te pasas 50h entrenando a un piloto y viéndole correr (y no se pueden acelerar como en el GT4). Horrible.

Y luego hay un salto increible entre coches de calle y competición. Te pasas compitiendo con un Seat Ibiza tuneadísimo medio juego hasta que consigues un Skyline de 500cv de competición, y una carrera más tarde un prototipo de Le Mans de los 80 con 900cv.

En otro orden de cosas el sonido de los coches sigue siendo una mierda, el motor de físicas otro mojón, los frenos son mágicos y el simulator en mis cojones. No me extraña que el Forza se esté comiendo al GT últimamente.

Por el lado positivo...es un Gran Turismo, es divertido, tiene ese punto coleccionista obsesivo, la selección de circuitos y coches es brutal...Si te gusta uno te gustan todos.
  50. Nov 30, 2015
    é um bom jogo, muito bom pra jogar com um amigo, tem ótimos carros, ótimas pistas porém deixa a desejar no modo multi-player local, tipo como assim só da de 2, dava muito bem pra jogar 4 não entendo pq a produtora do game fez essa merda, tinha que dar pra jogar 4 pessoas, outra além de só dar pra jogar de 2 é só vc e seu parceiro, não da pra jogar por exemplo eu, meu amigo e mais dezé um bom jogo, muito bom pra jogar com um amigo, tem ótimos carros, ótimas pistas porém deixa a desejar no modo multi-player local, tipo como assim só da de 2, dava muito bem pra jogar 4 não entendo pq a produtora do game fez essa merda, tinha que dar pra jogar 4 pessoas, outra além de só dar pra jogar de 2 é só vc e seu parceiro, não da pra jogar por exemplo eu, meu amigo e mais dez carros sendo a máquina, isso precisa mudar. Expand
  51. Jun 7, 2015
    I think the game is good but i almost finished rhe game (in the endurance series) and i don`t have more to do
    But the cars are amanzing, its a very good game
  52. Feb 18, 2016
    This is the BEST racing game for a PlayStation 3 console. Due to the large number of cars and tracks, as well as lots of new challenges to achieve like new special events and new B-spec system. Its also enjoyable for me to watch the race replays as well, in order for me to know how AI controlled cars drive.
  53. Jul 11, 2016
    A driving simulation title stacked with an enormous selection of cars, good music, pretty good visuals and great gameplay. The realism was depicted beautifully in it. However, there were a few areas where I felt the game didn't satisfy me as much as the above areas.

Customisation was essentially a hit and miss. For instance, the range of modifications and tuning of cars in terms of how they performed on the road was big and pretty addictive. Visual customisation on the cars however, was quite limited and indeed poor. Although the colour choices were amazing and diversive, there was literally little to no vinyl customisation. I'm not saying it should have adopted to the level of the NFS series - generally speaking anyway - but having the ability to pick preset rally bodies of vinyl and decal would have been great. Instead I was limited to a stock looking car - only being able to purchase particular cars that were designed like that. A bit annoying.

Also, as addictive and enjoyable as the gameplay was, the game turned into a massive grinding experience in the latter stages to really get to the good stuff. Now I knew that the developers did this to increase the lifetime of the game before its predecessor, but even then I do think they overdid it in some fashion. It became a chore in some ways.

But with the earlier characteristics of the game I stated, I cannot deny that this game was certainly a good racing game. Wasn't quite amazing though.
  54. Apr 13, 2016
    Un monton de coches,circuitos en nieve,tierra,asfalto...la conduccion esta bien pero no me gusta la sensacione de velocidad.Lo mejor son los karts :D.
  55. Feb 25, 2016
    Your can read all about the good the game is in another reviews and everyting is true. I would like to have seen a better damage system because sometimes you can go faster if you use other cars in the curves. It makes the game to lose all the realism it has.
  56. Aug 30, 2016
    One of the best racing games! It has great graphics and great gameplay. I love the cars in the game. I really suggest everyone to play the Gran Turismo Series because they're great!
  57. Nov 24, 2010
    First of all I set out to play GT5 with one thing in mind, is it as realistic as PD claims it to be, unfortunately many gaming sites will review this as a game, it is not, yes it is a piece of software you put into your PS3, but being an automotive engineer and an avid gamer I can assure you that this is as close to realism you will ever get without leaving your living room, I couldFirst of all I set out to play GT5 with one thing in mind, is it as realistic as PD claims it to be, unfortunately many gaming sites will review this as a game, it is not, yes it is a piece of software you put into your PS3, but being an automotive engineer and an avid gamer I can assure you that this is as close to realism you will ever get without leaving your living room, I could compare this to Forza 3 but that would not be fair to the Forza series. PD's GT5 stands head and shoulders above anything offered on PC or any other platform for that matter. GT5 starts with beautiful depiction of the evolution of the motor car right up to the final product, Jumping right into the menu for me it could have been a bit more simplified, a complicated interface which can be a bit frustrating at times but not to worry, you do get used to it. It is only when you are behind the wheel in a race when you first realize that GT5 is nothing short of astonishing, apart from the most amazing visuals you will ever see in any game on any platform this gen, it is the physics and feel of the car that is the heart of GT5, unlike Prologue you can actually feel the weight of each car, each having its own feel to, it intensifying the experience especially behind the wheel each of the 200 premium cars. GT5 is the complete racing simulator, if you are looking for a game, then GT5 probably isnt for you but if you are looking for the most realistic experience as close to driving a car you will probably never own then GT5 is the only way to go that being said every PS3 owner should buy GT5 even if it is just to marvel at the visuals, for every true racing fan and petrol head it is a must buy. Collapse

1. Games Master UK
    Feb 18, 2011
    We love Gran Turismo dearly but it isn't the game we hoped it would be. [Feb 2011, p.72]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Feb 16, 2011
    An unusually complex driving game that demands real dedication and only fully reveals its true power once you've put the mileage in. [Jan 2011, p.108]
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    GT5 is pretty much exactly what everybody expected it to be. Overhyped maybe because of the unprecedented delay in its release, but spot on with its goals.