Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3

7.5

1. Oct 2, 2010
    After playing GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was hard to imagine being swept away again by another GTA game but man does this game deliver. The story, the characters, the setting and the game world are so well crafted and put together it's nice to see some developers still take time to prepare their works and not just milk a franchise with yearly releases.
  2. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GAMEPLAY:

Grand Theft Auto is renowned for having a sandbox, complete with a plethora of distractions like socializing and dating, going to clubs, bars, strip-clubs and just having a good time in game. You will definitely find a hard time getting bored in Liberty City, which is a whole different story. The city itself is huge, and at any glance no matter what burrow looks like Rockstar’s imagining of NYC but in their own GTA world.
    Combat at first glance may seem to be tricky but eventually you will get a handle on the combat system. The melee system consists of several different attacks that when used in different combinations can prove to be effective against the opponent. Gunfights can be a little boring but when in a large skirmish with the cops or online against waves of enemies will make lasting memories.

Perhaps the finest points of combat in the game though is in the cars. There is nothing in the game that compares to doing a drive-by shooting or firing at the cops during a high-speed chase. Vehicular combat was fine-tuned perfectly that allows the player(s) to engage in awesome shoot outs on the road, no matter what the vehicle is... from a moped to an armored truck.
    Driving is easy, with basic controls for ALL vehicles though it may be hard to grasp the comfort of driving boats and aircraft. Perhaps the hardest vehicle to drive though are the motorcycles, they have a very high speed, horrible handling, and will pretty much launch you if you hit ANYTHING at a high velocity. Just another taste of reality but don’t expect to be a pro motorcyclist or pilot right off.

SOUND/MUSIC:

The game’s radio soundtrack is very unique and a lot of the songs fit well in not just the game but the story. Players can choose from an array of music like rock, hip-hop, rap, techno, and even talk shows. The citizens of liberty city all have very different personalities, and voices, Rockstar did a good job making the non-essential NPC’s seem unique.
    Other than the radio stations in the cars in the game, the game doesn’t have an “epic score” or an everlasting soundtrack that will have you streaming the web to listen to. But overall the sound quality of the guns, the people, the cars, and even the ambience really polish this game up and show how Rockstar games tried to make this game as realistic as possible.

STORY:
    You play as Niko Bellic an eastern-european (it is never really made clear where Nikos is from) who just moved from his homeland to Liberty City. The game takes off with you joining your cousin Roman who has made himself a nice little taxi business that he calls the beginning of the “american dream”. Over the course of the game Niko has to fight bikers, russians, gangsters, and cops... when suddenly his past catches up with him.
    The plot spans from Niko going “from the streets of Liberty City to the skyline of wealth”. As the player helps different factions and crime lords, Niko himself finds out that America is no different than the very war and the troubling past he has suffered.

ENGINE:

Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine isn’t special by “today’s standards”. There are few bugs, but even the ones in game can turn out to be quite funny or amusing. Online gameplay is really great, and unique. Until Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine alongside Red Dead Redemption HAVE TO BE Rockstar’s finest works.
  3. ENOUGH!!
    Jan 16, 2009
    It's GTA with shiny new graphics, hilarious ragdoll physics (Crash your car at sixty miles per hour on the free way towards oncoming traffic; priceless), and a gripping new storyline filled with the usual GTA nutjobs and ingenious voice acting. That, and the radio stations are as sarcastic and satirical as ever. Go buy it; it has tons of mileage for your money.
  4. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard toThis game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard to control, they sway left and right and it sometimes it's incredibly frustrating. The other vehicles besides motorbikes are fine, the main problem is the cars and bikes. The characters and kooky and the is a lot of vulgar language but the story and characters are very interesting. The game is flawed, it isn't perfect but there is tonnes of fun to be had in Liberty City. Expand
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    GTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamersGTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamers memory as a reference and it will be benchmarked by everyone. Expand
  6. Jul 13, 2013
    It's a great game overall. Maybe it's a little bit too realistic. I wanted to see a little bit of unrealism in it. I also think that the game is overrated. Like I said, it's a great game, but previous GTA games were better in some ways. So, 8/10
  7. Oct 12, 2015
    The best grand theft auto game and the story is priceless. There is nothing that I would change its fun and makes you feel emotional for the people in the game.
  8. Mar 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't care about negative comments. I have my opinion. In this game you feel like in criminal life. And I played GTA 5 which was great but something was missing. And I remembered that GTA 5 lacks good story. And until this day I am a big fan of GTA 4, because of atmosphere in this game. Expand
  9. mikes
    Apr 25, 2009
    I'm seeing a lot of dumb comments about people claiming to know "the truth" about gta4...because obviously this is just some big conspiracy by all the game reviewers to trick you into buying a bad game! no, artards gta4 is a great game and you are just incapable of seeing it. even worse though is your attitude that the reviews, all 64 reviews from different magazines websites and I'm seeing a lot of dumb comments about people claiming to know "the truth" about gta4...because obviously this is just some big conspiracy by all the game reviewers to trick you into buying a bad game! no, artards gta4 is a great game and you are just incapable of seeing it. even worse though is your attitude that the reviews, all 64 reviews from different magazines websites and newspapers, are somehow rigged. Maybe they all got together and thought as a laugh they would give gta4 great ratings to trick you into buying it. idiots, this game got great ratings cause it deserved it. GTA4 is an amazing game, don't listen to those noobs who downrated it cause they sucked to hard to beat the campaign. Expand
  10. E.K.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Huge interactive world, with tons of content. Superb audio, but not so great looking (on a HD screen). A pitty the story line and atmosphere is such a negative, no even depressing experience.
  11. JoelS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    The game is amazing...Initially I was just playing it story wise until my friend got over to my place. He just likes jacking cars and running down people and getting into fights with the police. Did find some cool stuff out about the game from the three hours he did that. Cars take realistic damage when you hit things. When I say realistic I mean it and it is specific to the area hit. Not The game is amazing...Initially I was just playing it story wise until my friend got over to my place. He just likes jacking cars and running down people and getting into fights with the police. Did find some cool stuff out about the game from the three hours he did that. Cars take realistic damage when you hit things. When I say realistic I mean it and it is specific to the area hit. Not just something that says "you got into an accident and the front end of the car was damaged so lets make the front end damaged." I mean more like if you hit a stationary post it will crease the car right where you hit it. Another cool thing is bullet holes stay where bullet holes are made and say you are driving the car and get shot, there will be a blood splatter pattern made on the inside of the windshield. The city is more "alive" than any other game I have ever played. More people walking the streets. More people having random conversations. Once my friend took off finally at 10 I got a good three hours of story mode in. Cinematics and voice acting are top notch. Story keeps you wanting to play the missions. There's only been one downside to the game and I've only experienced it when driving around killing people and running from the cops. Every so often you will get the game to "hang" for a few seconds. I don't know if it is a loading issue or a too many artifacts on the screen and the processor is having a hard time keeping up issue. I do know from what I have heard that the PS3 version of the game runs a lot smoother than the XBox 360 version. Apparently that version has frame rate drops and the whole nine yards. This was noted by video game magazine and online site reviews by actual reviewers and not just fanboys of the PS3. Might be the reason that Microsoft spent 50 some odd million getting it so the 360 version was the only one with downloadable content for a year or so...I'm sure eventually the downloadable content will reach the PS3 version. There was a rumor started by who I am guessing is a PS3 fanboy that said something different though. That the only reason the 360 version had downloadable content was because they couldn't fit all of the game onto one disc like they could for the PS3 thanks to the blu-ray discs having more storage space. Like I said though, probably started by some fanboy for the PS3...Seems like there are always going to be people that choose one system over the other. If I had the extra money laying around I'd probably pick up a 360 but I have better things to put my money towards. Oh, forgot to mention that one of the new features with Grand Theft Auto 4 that I don't really care for is the GPS in the game. Kinda takes away the fun when all you have to do is go to the map and place a marker where you want to go and and all you have to do after that is follow the green line on the little circular map on the screen to get to your destination. I do like the addition of the cell phone except for the fact that you will sometimes pop it up when you're trying to switch weapons but I am guessing that will go away once I learn all of the functions of the controller and where everything is located. And just like with the other Grand Theft Auto games you can only access certain areas and if you try to go over a bridge that takes you to a new part of the city you will come across a line of cop cars and cops with their guns pulled ready to fire on you. They at least gave it a better reason why this time around. They went with the more recent war on terror aspect. Something we all know. The area is blocked thanks to a terror alert. They did incorporate the six axis controller into the game fairly effectively but frustratingly as well. Using the six axis to reload weapons, drive motorcycles, drive boats...That's all good and dandy but just wait until you try controlling a helicopter with the six axis controller. Talk about a pain in the behind. After playing the game for awhile you unlock the Six Axis Tutorial which you can access from your cell phone. I tried it like four or five times and when it gets to the point where you're supposed to land the helicopter I fail miserably. I'm sure with a few more tries I'll be able to get it down but if you want to try it out you better have a steady hand. I'm going to be stubborn with this one as well and keep the six axis ability turned on. Of course you can do all the things the six axis does using just the analog sticks but I want to get the six axis function down better so it helps in other games. Overall I would like to be able to give this game a 10 because it's as close to perfection as they come but thanks to the game freezing a few times (it does recover after a few seconds) I can only give it a 9. Graphics = 10 Gameplay = 9 Sound = 10 Cinematics = 10 Over-all fun factor = 10. Expand
  12. Rol
    May 4, 2008
    Great story but overall given the reviews it doesn't live up to the hype. Too many small flaws and the graphics are just quite good. Loads of technical issues. And the missions (they do get much better) are very familiar if you played GTA3 before. Good game but really nowhere near as good as people make out.
  13. ThomasH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nice game with a lot of opportunities. but, but, but.... it got framrate drops, and the graphics are not amazing. Then 10/10 can´t e reached, but 9/10 is also a high rating.
  14. TheMan
    Jun 26, 2009
    The best game game of all time, missions are a blast, the story is extremely confounding and the characters bring a strong sense of nostalgia towards the gaming Industry. It really is hard to believe that gta is over 10 years old and this game sets the gold standard for any competitor willing to follow.
  15. RhienS.
    Dec 5, 2008
    An amazing game, and despite all theese users going against the grain, its a must buy! It utilises the power of all the next gen consoles and looks fantastic graphic wise. The gameplay it self is like being kissed by an angel, and in that i mean there is nothing bad about it (other than a few frame rate issues). The gameplay mechanics are amazing, it has a fantastic storyline and is by An amazing game, and despite all theese users going against the grain, its a must buy! It utilises the power of all the next gen consoles and looks fantastic graphic wise. The gameplay it self is like being kissed by an angel, and in that i mean there is nothing bad about it (other than a few frame rate issues). The gameplay mechanics are amazing, it has a fantastic storyline and is by far hands down the best game i have played on a next gen console. I would suggest you listen to the critics, and go out and buy this game. Expand
  16. Oct 31, 2016
    Graphics: 9.6 Sound: 9.7 Gameplay: 9.5 Fun/Story: 9.8

What a great game, storytelling, graphics, characters, plot and contemporary problems it reports. One more time, Rockstar has burst all done before.
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    When I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws IWhen I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws I had with the game were the predictable missions. But none the less, an awesome game 9/10 Expand
  18. JamieC
    Apr 29, 2008
    An epic videogame, surpassed by none so far. Rockstar has created the most sophisticated and entertaining masterpiece I've ever seen or played. A truly amazing experience; every gamer (of age) should have this game. From the opening mission, the game grips with its intriguing story and unrelenting action. An instant classic.
  19. DimaK.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Simply put, best game of the last 10 years.
  20. MikeH.
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've played both versions:ps3 and xbox360. The ps3 version edges out the 360 slightly, graphically speaking but gameplay wise, both are incredible games for this generations of hardware.
  21. JamesK.
    Best Game Ever
  22. [anonymous]
    Apr 27, 2008
    One of the best games I ever played. Wow.
  23. MSteinsson
    Apr 28, 2008
    Never saw a game like this before!
  24. BekhanB.
    Apr 28, 2008
    The best game ever made in the PS consoles! Perfect!
  25. MarkK.
    Apr 28, 2008
    The game itself is phenomenal at best. Possibly, the best GTA game of the next gen.
  26. SydneyK.
    Apr 29, 2008
    What else can I say that hasn't already been said. Rockstar deserves a gold star for not having disappointed its loyal fan of the series. It lives up to my expectation and a whole lot more. The plot if funny, whimsical, bizarre, and genuinely Soprano-licious. Simply stated, the game to play on both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 consoles thus far! Bravo, Rockstar.
  27. ChristianG.
    Simply, amazing.
  28. ChrisB.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I was able to get my game at a local store on Monday afternoon. My only regret is having to go to work Tuesday morning to separate me from this epic masterpiece. This game is the future for the virtual reality medium. Every game developer that tries to create a living virtual world should only hope to capture half of what Rockstar has accomplished in this game. Truly, and unbelievably, I was able to get my game at a local store on Monday afternoon. My only regret is having to go to work Tuesday morning to separate me from this epic masterpiece. This game is the future for the virtual reality medium. Every game developer that tries to create a living virtual world should only hope to capture half of what Rockstar has accomplished in this game. Truly, and unbelievably, has lived up to the massive hype that was placed upon its shoulders. 10/10 and nothing less, nothing compares to this experiece. Cannot wait to get home this afternoon ). Expand
  29. Feb 7, 2014
    Despite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs ofDespite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs of the buildings and vehicles are lackluster and mundane, the personalities of the characters fill the void left by the lack of any creative design in the game. The character-driven plot of this installment is a gem among all of the other installments in the GTA series. Expand
  30. May 22, 2016
    Graphic: 8/10
    Sound: 10/10
    + great story, awesome characters, big soundtrack, big open world, good multiplayer, tons to discover, +100 vehicles - blurry graphic/textures, spongy control of characters Conclusion: As a big fan of the GTA games I can say this is a great masterpiece of a game. The game shows how the eastern immigrants life and have to fight to survive, in a America
    Graphic: 8/10
    Sound: 10/10

- blurry graphic/textures, spongy control of characters

Conclusion: As a big fan of the GTA games I can say this is a great masterpiece of a game. The game shows how the eastern immigrants life and have to fight to survive, in a America far away from the pleasant life you see in TV. The main character Nico and his cousin and all characters in this masterpiece are well done, the voice actors does it good, the soundtrack with hours of good music is also a big point in this game, especially the east European bands and your pop music is nice to hear. At long last, GTA 4 is a worthy successor with typical strong points of the series and a weak graphic (consoles) compared with a strong PC.

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]