8.2

1. Jul 12, 2014
    Overrated game. The world is fine, but then it remains. The story is mediocre. Multiplayer sucks.

In fact, I pulled the story to force through. Since then, I have not touched the game.
  2. Oct 12, 2013
    Rockstar have truly lost their way, instead of fun over the top games they now create messy, misogynistic games that try far too hard to be offensive for the sake of it. GTA 5 does have some amazing features to it, such as the world and how detailed it is, but sooner or later everything you appreciate the game will come crashing down due to one thing or another.

The controls in this

The controls in this game are absolutely awful, I expected Rockstar to have worked on this after the mess that was GTA 4, but they feel practically the same. You can't just throw in an auto aim that is far too generous because you couldn't be bothered to fine out the aiming, that is just shameful. The driving is better admittedly, but it couldn't have gotten any worse after GTA 4. Every action is over animated, it makes the controls incredibly cumbersome and frustrating and nearly impossible to get through small doorways without running into walls first.

The story in this game is about as disjointed as they come, the only real connection being that everyone needs to make money, which is once again an incredibly lazy plot driving point. I never had a sense that what I was doing was important to progressing the story or characters once during my time with the GTA 5 main missions and I found myself getting tired of it very often. Free roaming is a lot of fun, probably where the most fun will be had with this game, there is a lot on offer in the world of Los Santos and it rewards the observant gamer. It is a shame then that the police will punish you for even the slightest of crimes, tap one of their cars? Accidently bump into an officer due to the clunky controls? They will shoot you on sight for it. I'm not sure if there is an underlying message to this about America and its police brutality or if Rockstar really were just too lazy once again to bother adding different reactions to each wanted level.

The biggest problem with this game is GTA Online, unfortunately it comes as part of the package so it should be rated as part of the entirety of this game. The playerbase is absolutely awful, one of the worst standing side by side with the Call of Duty community. This however is not Rockstar's fault, but like it or not you will have to rely on these people sooner or later to help you either in missions or just roaming around. The missions themselves are pretty much just cut and copy over and over with only the bare basics changed; such as mission location or how many enemies you need to kill. Practically all the missions will revolve around killing a group of people, collecting something and then reaching a destination.

GTA Online was never going to live up to the hype it created, but it could have been so much more. Because of the disappointing single player and the outright horrid Online feature I can only give GTA 5 a 6/10.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    That´s only a critic against Rockstar because of his betray at the PC users, don´t be angry! I´m not jealous, just dissappoint...
    Sorry for the bad English..
  4. Dec 3, 2013
    its a big world with lots to do and all in all acts as a distraction from the original objective and story which can eventually break the dramatic tension. i believe people all over the world have thrown their money at this game without thinking. what happened to all those games that told a story without all the distraction of the surrounding environment, after all i only ever see myselfits a big world with lots to do and all in all acts as a distraction from the original objective and story which can eventually break the dramatic tension. i believe people all over the world have thrown their money at this game without thinking. what happened to all those games that told a story without all the distraction of the surrounding environment, after all i only ever see myself and other people playing this game driving around and killing people which can be fun but whats the point, after they eventually come to their senses and realize what they have been doing for past 3 hours and do a damn mission they end up saying to themselves "what the is going on!?" Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2014
    I got a free copy of GTA5 when I was forced to purchase a new PS3 when my first generation model finally croaked. The GTA5 bundle was the least expensive deal, so that's the only reason I got the game. And I'm glad I didn't spend a single dime on this piece of crap game. The industry complex for some reason loves to herald Rockstar as a great game developer, and all GTA5 is is aI got a free copy of GTA5 when I was forced to purchase a new PS3 when my first generation model finally croaked. The GTA5 bundle was the least expensive deal, so that's the only reason I got the game. And I'm glad I didn't spend a single dime on this piece of crap game. The industry complex for some reason loves to herald Rockstar as a great game developer, and all GTA5 is is a smut-ridden, foul-language oversaturating, horrible game mechanics, terrible gun battling, stereotyping piece of garbage. Just like every other GTA game. I don't know I bothered to pop it into my console and dirty it up. No clue. How does this game have such a huge rating? How?

The driving is terrible, the shooting...snap L2 and you instantly aim at and track your opponents, and if you fail a mission you have to start all over again. The story is horrible, and so what if Los Santos or whatever it's called is a big, sprawling city? So what??? And don't even get me started on MP mode.

This is a piece of trash like nothing ever before it...except for GTA4. These games are the reason the game industry gets hammered and hounded, and the bad part is they're not even good. They placate to a crowd of the gaming community that are as low as the characters in the games.
  6. Apr 2, 2014
    Im a huge grand theft auto fan but this is a huge disappointment in every way, they just spent all the money on the ads?!! how crazy is that?? Overall its not very good and doesn't live up to the hype...

EDIT: Ok guys, the check from Rockstar finally came in. The game is actually a solid 9/10, please disregard the previous score. Thank you. - EyeOfTheTiger69
  7. May 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just your average over hyped pile of sh*t. A complete failure compared to Grand Theft Auto 4. Plot? There is no f*cking plot in this waste of 60 bucks. Gameplay? The gameplay is a joke. Everything has either been dumbed down or made for casual sh*ts that will play the game for a month and then go back to Battlefield 3.5. The melee system has been completely dumbed down and is also broken as f*ck(This is completely true in the Online) All the characters are either unoriginal and unlikable. The only characters I actually enjoyed were Floyd(who got killed by the worse character), Wade, Micheal and his family. Franklin is just your typical black character that just wants money. The only thing special about him is that he doesn't wanna be a gang banger and his slow-mo driving. Trevor is hands down the worse character in this pile of sh*t. Just your typical rapist, cannibal, psychopath that of course won COTY because the gaming community today is retarded. I gladly took the chance I got and killed him in Ending A. This game has 0 f*cking plot. You just do a bunch of missions and thats it. The only plot is how Micheal's family leaves him and than comes back and the whole Brad bullsh*t. The driving in this game is terrible. Not to mention that the car physics have been completely ruined and made casual. Every f*cking car is a god damn tank now. The funniest feature from GTA4 that Rockstar returned was flying out the car window. AND THEY COMPLETELY BROKE IT SINCE YOU DIE 7/10 TIMES IT HAPPENS NOW. At least it when came to doing extra things in Grand Theft Auto 4, you actually had to FIND them and they were actually pretty HARD. In this overrated pile of casual sh*t, they just mark everything on the map. The random events are nice, I will give them that. Its also nice to mention how much they BROKE this games cops. Actually no, they ain't cops. The LSPD is actually a massive army of super soldier robo cops with owl senses and the aim of f*cking highly trained Spetsnaz. I LOVE how this game talked and talked and TALKED about how there were gonna be so mainly f*cking heists. And what did we get? 6 heists. Oh, I am completely sorry, I mean 4. Since the other two gives you F*CKING NOTHING. HOW DO YOU GO FROM MAKING SUCH GREAT GAMES LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO 4, RED DEAD REDEMPTION AND MAX PAYNE 3, WHICH ALL DESERVED TO HAVE 9/10 AND 10/10, TO THIS PILE OF SH*T THAT DESERVES NOTHING!? This game is nothing but a overhyped pile of a*s and it can easily be seen that Rockstar payed out the f*cking retards that reviewed this and gave it 9/10 and 10/10. F*ck this game, F*ck the reviewers, and F*ck the fanboys. Expand
  8. Sep 19, 2013
    When you spend you hard earned money on entertainment you want it to be on average good so that you feel as though you at least got you monies worth.
    Well GTA V will exceed every expectation you ever had.
    GTA V is everything that the entertainment industry should strive to be from this point on.
  9. Oct 2, 2013
    Some people say that this didn't live up to its hype, if you know what they're smoking then I'd love to get some. Great game, but not perfect (that driving is not much different from GTA IV).
  10. Sep 19, 2013
    People have to remember this game is made on CURRENT gen.... everyone was expecting this amazing game with NEXT gen capabilities. For a PS3 game this IS amazing.

My problems.... Car mods are VERY shallow... can't do nearly as much modding as R* led us to believe. No NITRO!!!!! WTF!!!!... No jetpack, no hydra, no Apache helicopter, no vigilante,fire truck, or ambulance missions. Al

My problems....

No jetpack, no hydra, no Apache helicopter, no vigilante,fire truck, or ambulance missions. Al though they do have a fighter jet and a helicopter with missiles, so that isn't so bad.

Air planes are way way too slow. I understand they couldn't make them real speed or else you would be around the map in 30 seconds... but my goodness they are SLOW (even the fighter jet)... not even close to what they show in the trailers.

Basically any kind of modding is shallow (especially weapon modding).

Even though I gave the game a 9/10... it's really more of a 9.8. And I focused on the negative stuff because that negative stuff only makes up about 0.01% of the game and there isn't enough room to list the other 99.99% of the game that R* got right.
  11. May 11, 2014
    Story:
    Story:
    What's unique about GTA 5 compared to any other open world action game is having 3 main protagonist come together in this engaging and branching storyline. You start off as Michael, a retired bank robber whose life is now miserable thanks to his family. Then there's Franklin, a former street hustler who's trying to escape the hood and make some good cash, but his friends keep bringing him back into trouble. Finally, there's Trevor, Michael's old Canadian friend and a guaranteed psychopath. You never know what he'll do next thanks to his explosive personality. All the other supporting characters (Lester, Lamar, Michael's family, etc.) are also interesting with their own stories as well. Thanks to some excellent dialogue and voice acting, all these characters really come to life, especially Trevor's character. Steven Ogg does an incredible job as Trevor. As for the plot, Rockstar does a great job branching the plot between these 3 characters. There are some twist here and there, there is an interesting backstory with Michael and Trevor, and it's cool seeing how all 3 protagonist meet up and get forced into all these missions. This is by far some of Rockstar's best storytelling yet. 10/10

Gameplay:
    It's your classic GTA gameplay with the added feature of special abilities for all 3 characters. Michael can slow down time while shooting, Franklin can slow down time while driving, and Trevor can go into "rampage" mode and deal double damage while taking half damage. The biggest highlight of the SP is definitely the heist missions which reminded me a lot of Payday 2. The new in-game stock market is a nice way of earning some extra money on the side. The driving here is significantly better than GTA 4's realistic driving. Now it's back to the classic driving that's fast and sometimes out of control (in a good way). The shooting is still the same as in GTA 4, There are more weapons this time around to play with, San Andreas's skill system returns, and the map is way larger than liberty city. The only complaint I had was that the cops were too annoying at times. Overall, Rockstar did a great job improving on the classic GTA gameplay while adding some new things in as well. Also, the strip club here is vastly superior to any other video game strip club ever made ;). 9/10

Graphics:
    The game looks good on consoles (could look way better on PC), but I noticed some pop-ins that happened at times, and the frame rate also occasionally dropped when the action was heating up fast. Oh if only there was a PC version. 7/10

Sound:
    All the gunshots, car sounds, and city sounds are really good, but the biggest shocker to me was how good the soundtrack was compared to GTA 4. The radio soundtrack contains rock, punk, pop, old school rap, hip-hop, techno, and other varieties of genres to choose from. I personally really like the rock, techno, pop, rap, and hip-hop stations (beats Russian stuff). Great job Rockstar on getting better music this time around. 9/10

Multiplayer:
    This is where everything falls apart. The Online was not only broken at launch (R* should've prepared for the high amount of traffic on their servers better), but the Online gets repetitive fast. after the tutorial, you're off to do missions, races, deathmatches, parachuting, and capture (CTF) jobs to make $ and rank up (level cap is technically 1000, but you stop unlocking items at 120). You can also try to interact with the other 15 players on the map, but most of them will just shoot you on sight for no reason (luckily, passive mode will help you as it makes you ignore player fire). Besides jobs, there's not much to do in GTA online. But there are some REALLY frustrating things about the multiplayer: The cops are more annoying here than in SP (their search times can take up to 1 MINUTE), most of the missions are fetch missions, the auto-aim makes shooting others more easier than in Call of Duty, and all the exploits (money and RP glitches) and hackers broke the game's economy and competitive circuit even more. To top it all off, R* SEVERELY reduced the amount of $ and RP you get from missions, making the game a chore to level up if you're an "all legit" type of player. This is still better than GTA 4's multiplayer, but because of the way R* marketed this, GTA Online is a MASSIVE disappointment. 5/10

Verdict: GTA 5 has an amazing single player mode with a disappointing multiplayer mode. The graphics are good, the soundtrack is great, and the mission variety is large (with most of them being entertaining to play). If not for the mediocre Online mode, GTA 5 could've been a perfect 10. But just like with Far Cry 3 and the Tomb Raider reboot, a weak multiplayer is what ruins the whole package.

Rating: 9/10.
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    Ahaha the very few negative reviews that there is have no warrant to them! LOL like almost 80% of the people don't agree. So i will go with the flow and mention that i love this game for what it is. San Andreas Meets Saints Row 2 Equal GTA 5 Level Awesome! I have no Issues with game-play i imagine someone complained about how hard some missions are but that is life of the open world gamesAhaha the very few negative reviews that there is have no warrant to them! LOL like almost 80% of the people don't agree. So i will go with the flow and mention that i love this game for what it is. San Andreas Meets Saints Row 2 Equal GTA 5 Level Awesome! I have no Issues with game-play i imagine someone complained about how hard some missions are but that is life of the open world games evil missions.
    The Way you switch between characters during missions is awesome as hell!
    Gun play is sort of like Red Dead Redemption meet GTA San Andreas.
    Entertaining to say the least of this game.
  13. Feb 15, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto V Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    Grand Theft Auto V Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + One of the biggest, most detailed and alive worlds ever created. Heists are amazing, with the developers letting you choose who to go with and how to do it. Diverse and completely fun missions. Character switching is an exceptional addition. A way more "consumer friendly" driving, and tons of customization. Cousins don't call you to go bowling. It has a lot of activities to chose from in the free time. Weapon wheel. Top-notch voice acting. Great flying controlls. Frame rate rarely drops. A long and enjoyable single-player campaign, but also a ton of side quests. Online is really fun with friends/ crew. Impressive graphics, not the best, but still very impressing. The sound of weapons, walking, sea and many others feel correct. Great Trophy list. Outstanding Ocean and what is to be found in it's depths. Mostly bug free during the whole experience.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    - Though the missions are really fun, the story is weak and not very interesting. Really weak female characters. Controls haven't improved a lot. The Original Score is weak and only has a few good themes in it. The animals and hunting in the game barely gets atenttion, which is really wasted potentiall. No Animals in Online. The Online portion of the game has a lot more content than the singleplayer. Buggy and no heists at the launch of GTA Online.
    Final Thoughts and Score:
    Grand Theft Auto V was the most anticipated game of recent times. Unfortunately it doesn't fully deliver on it's promise. Some weak narrative and not very improved controlls make the game fail to achieve greatness, however, Grand Theft Auto V is a technical achievement and a worth playing game.
    Average Score: 8.8/10
    For Assassin's Creed Reviews go to:
  14. Sep 19, 2013
    The city is top notch. Captures L.A. perfectly without being too exact. I was driving through Rockford Hills and it felt just like Beverly Hills in real life where I have visited a few times. I go into places that I figure the game designers wouldn't expect me to go to see if they detail everything in the world and they do. The storyline is seamless and interesting. The missions are funThe city is top notch. Captures L.A. perfectly without being too exact. I was driving through Rockford Hills and it felt just like Beverly Hills in real life where I have visited a few times. I go into places that I figure the game designers wouldn't expect me to go to see if they detail everything in the world and they do. The storyline is seamless and interesting. The missions are fun and rewarding. The cars drive a bit more arcade like then the last GTA and I think that is a bad thing. I appreciate realism even if it more challenging. Some may like it. The PS3 has a hard time rendering everything smoothly all the time. You can tell this game is doing everything it can with the aging PS3's hardware. PC port may fix that for high end machines. I will probably purchase the PC port as well the game is so fun. Switching between characters is a really interesting addition. When I go from one to the other, the character I switch to is in the middle of something I didn't have him do. It makes the city and the characters feel more alive. I am having a blast with this game and the only reason I didn't give it a perfect 10 was because of the frame rate and rendering issues and the cars driving too arcade like now. Expand
  15. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is amazing. It's one of the greatest games of the last console generation. I'm giving this a 9 because of two reasons. First off, i encountered a ridiculous glitch which didn't let me progress further in the story, i couldn't even select Michael as a character anymore, so i had to restart the story all over again. The other reason is because there's alot of pop-in textures thatThis game is amazing. It's one of the greatest games of the last console generation. I'm giving this a 9 because of two reasons. First off, i encountered a ridiculous glitch which didn't let me progress further in the story, i couldn't even select Michael as a character anymore, so i had to restart the story all over again. The other reason is because there's alot of pop-in textures that occur when i drive really fast, and also in the GTA Online intro. I'm willing to let it slide though because the hardware is very dated. It's impressive that Rockstar achieved this much with such limitations. All in all great story, great gameplay, great soundtrack, must-buy. Expand
  16. Jan 5, 2014
    The best GTA since San Andreas. The city of Los Santos is an incredible place, and is really the greatest world ever created in a game. But GTA IV had a great story, and that is what is lacking in GTA V. I felt that the story was a bit forced, as when Michael destroys the home of tennis coach and eventually gets back to the assaults to make money, and from there the story involves well,The best GTA since San Andreas. The city of Los Santos is an incredible place, and is really the greatest world ever created in a game. But GTA IV had a great story, and that is what is lacking in GTA V. I felt that the story was a bit forced, as when Michael destroys the home of tennis coach and eventually gets back to the assaults to make money, and from there the story involves well, but I really did not like the beginning and the end of the game actually, I hope they come up with a better ending next time, it was not bad, but it was nothing special either. The multiplayer is really good, but it constantly failing, but is actually a multiplayer that has never been done in any GTA game. Rockstar promised varied activities, but still does not reach the point of San Andreas, and even when we go out with friends, there is almost nothing to do with them. Overall I think it's the second best GTA game, and for me I would place it in number four on my list of Game of the Year 2013. Expand
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    Brief Summary (Can’t comment on online play as my internet is crap)
    +Lots of content
    +Great characters +Interesting World +Huge Improvement over GTA 4 (though in my opinion that isn’t saying much) +Fantastic Game Play ?Mixed Story -Repetitive at times -Perhaps GTA is lacking originality Overall I would definitely recommend this game it is a lot of fun. However I feel that it
    Brief Summary (Can’t comment on online play as my internet is crap)
    +Lots of content
    +Great characters
    +Interesting World
    +Huge Improvement over GTA 4 (though in my opinion that isn’t saying much)
    +Fantastic Game Play
    ?Mixed Story
    -Repetitive at times
    -Perhaps GTA is lacking originality

Overall I would definitely recommend this game it is a lot of fun. However I feel that it doesn’t play well enough, in order to definitely steal the Sandbox crown, as GTA 5 doesn’t completely over-shadow its competition SR4 and Sleeping Dogs.

Full Review
    Perhaps the best thing about GTA 5 is how much of an improvement it is over it’s, in my opinion, terrible predecessor. Variety in the world; good customisation with barbers, tattoo shops, west coast customs; the ability to buy property; good driving mechanics etc. all make a lovely return. As a result of such polish, combined with really good graphics, make GTA 5 a very immersive game, in which you can spend at least 40 hours playing through the story and interesting side activities, while never looking back.

The second greatest thing, in my opinion about GTA 5, is that of the amount of variety, of things to do besides the main missions. From interesting side mission that involve you doing crazy stuff like chasing down ‘illegal’ (they are not actually illegal) immigrants; to tonnes of vehicle types, from cars, bikes, helicopters, planes, boats, even a submarine (though it isn’t that good). While dating has been removed, mini-games are still present like shooting gallery (my favourite), tennis (bit easy), golf, parachuting etc. help to make it so the lack of dating isn’t an issue. Furthermore the internet actually is worthwhile in GTA 5, as you can buy cars, boats and even make money on the stock market through your phone/ a laptop. All this helps to break the monotony that in my opinion has been the Achilles heel of the GTA franchise.

The third best thing about GTA 5 is the new features, in particular the introduction of three characters, as oppose to the tried and tested one. This bold move by Rockstar, in my opinion is really well executed, as each character tells a different story. Franklin is the hard-worker criminal desperately tiring to break it in the criminal world. Michael is the depressing family man struggling to live life in retirement. And of course there is Trevor, the psychopathic killer who takes no crap from anyone and who is unpredictable. Some have criticised these characters for not being that relatable or likeable. While the latter is true at times e.g. in particularly Michael who never stops complaining. That said though, I feel it works to the games advantage that the characters aren’t relatable, as it makes their actions more impactful, as you develop a love hate relationship with them in particular Trevor. What is also good is how, for the most part, you can switch between each character at any time, and they each have their own money, guns, skills etc. All these plus points in combination with the solid cover and shoot combat system, taken from Red Dead, make GTA 5 easily one of the games of the year.

Now we get to the story. This is perhaps where GTA 5 begins to lose some ground. Now please note I am not saying it is a bad story, in fact there are some really interesting moments, in particular the revelation of the back story between Trevor and Michael. Likewise the choices throughout the missions, in particular the heist mission, further help make the story more impactful, as it prevents you from feeling you are just killing the same genetic enemies, something which I feel plagued GTA 4. BUT, I would say that the first two endings A and B and rather poor, so I would definitely pick option C. Furthermore what makes the story mediocre for me is how by the middle part of the game you are working for the F.B.I, which for me kills the emotion because it means that the story doesn’t focus on the conflict between the characters. And unfortunately this section I feel is made way too long.

However in my opinion the biggest issue with GTA 5 is its lack of originality. This can be seen by how a lot of the apparently new features, that aren’t in GTA 4, are taken straight from GTA San Andreas/Vice City. This includes the upgrading system, planes, the customisation mechanics, the variety of terrain, the ability to buy property and earn money of them etc. All this repeating of content makes the core components of the game feel a little too familiarly. I guess what I am trying to say here is that the game lacks originality in my opinion, and is certain silenced by its competition in Sleeping Dogs and SR4 in terms of originality. However this doesn’t ruin the game by any means as there is still hours of fun gameplay to be had. I only wish that for the next instalment of the franchise that Rockstar push the boat out a bit more.
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    2 years waiting for this game, incredeble results, rockstar impressed me so much in this game, it just diserves a goty, why give a goty to a feeling game intead of this one?
  19. Sep 19, 2013
    I am not kidding when I say that GTA V is the best GTA game ever. It's essentially San Andreas with prettier graphics, awesome heists, and 3 lead characters.
    I wont even say anything else you need to experience GTA V for yourself.
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    I feel I have to write this review for this game because how great it is and to help combat the "Haters" on here. I haven't felt this way about a video game in a long time. The one where you're reaching the end of the game but you don't want it to end. Red Dead Redemption did this. Far Cry 3 did this. And now GTA 5.

The people complaining about graphics are PC-Fanboys who are upset that

The people complaining about graphics are PC-Fanboys who are upset that they don't have it on PC. They were either forced to buy it on their console, or saw it up a friends house. The graphics are great and one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. A much bigger step from GTA 4 so there's nothing to complain about there, but since when did graphics was all that mattered in a video game? You can't just look at a game and because it would look a little better on a high-end PC go and give that game a 0.

Also, some people who give this game a zero literally have merely experienced an hour of it at a friends house or observed them playing it. A lot of the people who give this game a 0, give other high-quality games a 0 too. Look at their profiles. These people are trolls.

Never have I played a game of this scope and detail. Never have I played a game this addicting. If I could, I'd give it an 11 out of 10.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    One of best games of this year so far. GTA is back and better than ever. From a great story, to many side missions, and fun activities, and a huge city to explore, this game has almost everything. You'll be putting a lot of hours into this game is you really enjoy it like I have.
  22. Sep 23, 2013
    As someone who has been playing Grand Theft Auto since GTA I on the Playstation 1 back in the day, it's hard to see GTA V as anything but another formulaic sandbox game fresh off the assembly line from rockstar games. As someone who has played every grand theft auto game except for the London expansion packs it is quite clear that every entry post Grand Theft Auto 3 is essentially theAs someone who has been playing Grand Theft Auto since GTA I on the Playstation 1 back in the day, it's hard to see GTA V as anything but another formulaic sandbox game fresh off the assembly line from rockstar games. As someone who has played every grand theft auto game except for the London expansion packs it is quite clear that every entry post Grand Theft Auto 3 is essentially the exact same game. You run, gun and carry out generic formulaic missions. Grand Theft Auto is nothing but a generic and formulaic series now. With all that said I feel that even though Grand Theft Auto V doesn't offer much to the series, it is still the best entry since Grand Theft Auto 3. This game is what GTAIV should have been. The voice acting and characters are excellent. Los Santos is the most alive a city has been in a sandbox video game. Unlike GTA IV where everything felt like a cardboard toy town, slightly empty and lacking in depth, GTA V Los Santos feels alive and bustling. The ambient sound work is excellent and helps to truly give a feeling of populous and activity. I will continue playing this game for the side missions and exploration but I can't help but be bored to death of this series. Expand
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    you can immediately tell that it's the most expensive game ever produced. the details are amazing and realistic and oh it's a cartoon-like satire- can't imagine what next gen will be like once it gets going, but this game was delicious
  24. Sep 27, 2013
    Good, but not the best Grand Theft Auto, the gameplay sucks, driving a car is a mess and fly a plane, is worst. But let's see the bright side, GTA V has an awesome storyline and a decent variety.
  25. Oct 3, 2013
    Taking in game pictures is in cloud servers that are periodically dead, on-line was postponed to 1.10 and three days later is a total mess, cars are disappearing from garage, in-game payment for faster boosting characters in multiplayer (one would think that 1 billion dollars would be enough to skip that part)... A lot of problems but all of them are covered with magical cure- marketingTaking in game pictures is in cloud servers that are periodically dead, on-line was postponed to 1.10 and three days later is a total mess, cars are disappearing from garage, in-game payment for faster boosting characters in multiplayer (one would think that 1 billion dollars would be enough to skip that part)... A lot of problems but all of them are covered with magical cure- marketing (i.e. payments to gaming reviewing sites) is more expensive than game it self. GTA5 is great game but it is not perfect, unless someone thinks that so many problems are perfectly acceptable.
    I have preordered game, payed premium price and now I am wasting my time working as beta tester for Rockstar. Wow, that is amazing.
    I had similar experience with sim city 5 but that was widely covered in gaming media, and we were all angry how could they take money from us and not providing us good service. A little advice to EA and Blizzard- next time give more money to reviewing sites and your games will get much better scores, including Diablo 3 and Sim City 5.
    And concerning rockstar- next time I will skip preorder and instead buy second hand copy from some frustrated owner for less money.
  26. Oct 3, 2013
    GTA5 Is a great game with hours of entertainment. But to be honest it is highly overrated. The main story I personally found very fun, I was unable to put the controller down. But after completion of the 9-12 hour or so main story I found myself quickly bored. And resorted to mainly going on homicidal rampages through the streets of Los Santos. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of sideGTA5 Is a great game with hours of entertainment. But to be honest it is highly overrated. The main story I personally found very fun, I was unable to put the controller down. But after completion of the 9-12 hour or so main story I found myself quickly bored. And resorted to mainly going on homicidal rampages through the streets of Los Santos. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of side missions. But after a while or so of racing or playing tennis or golf or even sky diving it becomes repetitive and dull. The map I also had a problem with its very big. But its like a desert. Large an expansive with little to do besides hunt or screw around which gets boring quickly it would have been cool to see the two other cities from GTA:SA return instead of the empty no mans land.(Casino heists anyone?) GTA5 Online is also a total mess(For the time being). But after finally getting to play I was having a lot of fun. The activities are much more fun with other players. The game modes are also very unique and fun. My favorite being crooked cop. But the death matches are very stale and boring. GTA5 online is supposed to have content added regularly Im hoping that they release content that is original and fun. And hopefully does not get repetitive. GTA5 online right now is basically a 16 player lobby for mini games that can be found in the main game but has a lot of room to expand. Im looking forward to see how it does so. As for the log in issues. Its typical for a game this size and will probably be fixed with in the week. No worries. All in all GTA5 has been a fun experience this far. I was hoping for a little bit more. as im already getting bored. But I Highly recommend it if your looking for a game to play. Its a very fun experience with a lot of amazing moments and the online side also adds more entertainment. But if your looking for a game like Skyrim where you will be playing for months. This isn't it. I'm predicting this ends up like GTA:4 over-hyped and everyone forgets it in two months. But besides that fun game. Definitely worth the 60 dollars not worth all the hype. Expand
  27. Oct 7, 2013
    Best game of the year by far, this game is truly what a next gen game should be, probably few next gen games will be as good as this current gen game though, as the attention to detail in this game is phenomenal, and the game play which casts you in the role of three amazingly driven characters, has never been better! The mechanics of the game has taken the best of all the rockstarBest game of the year by far, this game is truly what a next gen game should be, probably few next gen games will be as good as this current gen game though, as the attention to detail in this game is phenomenal, and the game play which casts you in the role of three amazingly driven characters, has never been better! The mechanics of the game has taken the best of all the rockstar franchises. I could spend time praising the games radio alone as every part of the game is phenomenal. If you did not like GTA before this may not be or game, as they have changed up alot and made the game a lot more accessible and entertaining, but it still is at its core GTA. Expand
  28. Oct 8, 2013
    Definitely one of the best games this generation.
    My SP experience is flawless, but there where problems with the Online portion which is totally understandable seeing that 13+ million people bought the game.
    Overall this game is a blast and must own!
  29. Oct 16, 2013
    I really enjoy playing this game, and it does deserve a 10, but due to major AI problems, spawn problems and horrible police AI it simply cannot get a pefect score.
  30. Oct 22, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V had my expectations high and it almost reached them.
    Like every game GTA V has pros and has cons. Somethings I have a problem with might just be my opinion, so they won't be listed as pros or cons.
    PROS: +The story/dialogue; even if you don't like the plot of the game, you must admit that the dialogue makes the characters feel very real. +Los Santos. The open world
    Grand Theft Auto V had my expectations high and it almost reached them.
    PROS:
    +Los Santos. The open world is the most famous thing about the GTA series, and this doesn't disappoint! It feels so alive and is incredibly large!
    +Missions, lots of 'em! The story is fairly long, but there are dozens of side missions, and my favorite: the random events that happen are just as enjoyable as the regular missions, and can add hours to your experience.
    +The abilities. Not really much to say on this one; chances are you know about them.
    +The customization! Customize your save into a completely different story than anyone else's! There is so much to customize: weapons, vehicles, and the 3 stooges.
    Now we get into the not so nice part the cons.
    CONS:
    -The missions are very linear. You do have the options on how you rob something, (stealth or loud), but nothing has been more frustrating to my game time than having to land a helicopter EXACTLY on the yellow target area. Seriously, why can't I land it 5 feet away? While there aren't really many ways to go about missions, still, why are we punished for trying something we see just as logical.
    -A game about heists has a lack of them. When there are heists it is superb, but unfortunately, you have to beat 50-60% of the game to really get into it; overall, the heists are too far between.
    -Not noob friendly. Probably my biggest problem with the game is it isn't noob friendly. Now, I had trouble with 20% of the missions, and I'd say I am slightly less than the average gamer, but I know that there might be people just getting into video games, or people who just might enjoy video games but are simply just not good at them, they are not going to enjoy the missions later down the road. But I guess everything is a matter of practice.
    -This is a very, very, VERY teeny-tiny complaint; the women in the game are 2D. Again, this isn't a huge issue, it is just that Franklin and Michael are 2 very rounded, realistic characters and they don't have to look like super-models to appeal to people. But the female characters seem to be nothing more than a pair of in this game.
    Overall I would say this a good game if you have patience for a few things. I'm not fully sure if I'd say spend $60 on it, but if you like open world, amazing character development, and a challenge, why the heck not.
  31. Oct 28, 2013
    A pretty entertaining game with good characters and a solid enough story. Some missions are much better than others and you may find yourself bored with what you're doing, making it hard to play for long periods of time. I've finished 68% the story and am still not overly invested. That said, messing around is as fun as ever. Definitely not game of the year, but an impressive effort.
  32. Jan 9, 2014
    GTA V is a sandbox for adults! One GREAT game, for sure. You absolutely get your moneys worth!!!
    A MUST OWN for any gamer...
    I love the story and characters that have musch more to them then in any other GTA I have played before.
  33. Nov 7, 2013
    Goods
    - 3 Main characters
    - Good characters - Fun heist missions - Fun multiplayer - so much activities - such much to collect property clothes cars ) Bads - Main characters feel inconherent as there are 3 - Some missions felt boring or annoying - Shooting can feel sloppy - Driving and flying takes time to get used too Extras - I feel like Michael and Trevor standout
    Goods
    - 3 Main characters
    - Good characters
    - Fun heist missions
    - Fun multiplayer
    - so much activities
    - such much to collect property clothes cars )

Bads
    - Main characters feel inconherent as there are 3
    - Some missions felt boring or annoying
    - Shooting can feel sloppy
    - Driving and flying takes time to get used too

Extras
    - I feel like Michael and Trevor standout and Franklin feels like a support
  34. Nov 7, 2013
    I was excited when I got the game, however, I played it and after around 15 hours of game play, it doesn't feel very different from the previous title. Missions, game play and driving feels pretty much the same, and I understand there are other features that were never there before, but they don;t feel very appealing to me as a casual player. i understand more dedicated players, orI was excited when I got the game, however, I played it and after around 15 hours of game play, it doesn't feel very different from the previous title. Missions, game play and driving feels pretty much the same, and I understand there are other features that were never there before, but they don;t feel very appealing to me as a casual player. i understand more dedicated players, or players with more specific tastes are thrilled, but I am very often thinking about t wanting to play something else and I stall that because I want to finish this game story line first. Good game, but not the best of all times for my taste and this is just a personal opinion. Expand
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    GTA V is a great game in single player. The story is great, the characters are well developed and the missions aren't as repetitive as in previous installments and are more diverse. There is also a lot to do on the side. GTA online however is a different story. While there is a lot to do, leveling up and making money is more of a grind and does get old. Add to that, whenever you areGTA V is a great game in single player. The story is great, the characters are well developed and the missions aren't as repetitive as in previous installments and are more diverse. There is also a lot to do on the side. GTA online however is a different story. While there is a lot to do, leveling up and making money is more of a grind and does get old. Add to that, whenever you are randomly killed by some other player you lose money, it makes grinding much more grueling. Until opportunities to make big money from heist become available look to grind many many hours to get anywhere in this game. Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2013
    Its a decent game. Fun to play, but it could be better. The graphics are exceptional, but I feel the game play is not. It's much like liberty cities, with a few new features. I think you should be able to rob and go in any store. Make friends and actual conversation with strangers. Search the web. Turn only lights on in police cruisers. Vehicles still vanish. Very fast. Nothing isIts a decent game. Fun to play, but it could be better. The graphics are exceptional, but I feel the game play is not. It's much like liberty cities, with a few new features. I think you should be able to rob and go in any store. Make friends and actual conversation with strangers. Search the web. Turn only lights on in police cruisers. Vehicles still vanish. Very fast. Nothing is interactable on the map. People are always towing empty boat trailers The police should have more vehicles. The map should be bigger. There should be more vendors. Cops aren't patroling or have any one pulled over. Vehicles such as trucks and commercial vehicles should be more up grade-able. You should be able to put flashing lights on any vehicle. Multi-player sucks. These are just a few that are off the top of my head. I thought for the time spent developing this game and all of the hype, it would have been much better than what it is. Overall, I'd give it a 5 out of 10. Much like all of the big name games in the industry, its just a newer version of previous games with a few new toys.. Expand
  37. Nov 15, 2013
    everything about this game is better than its predecessors. the fact they pulled of a 8gb map that has no pause for loading any section as its all loaded real time was magical. everything is smooth, looks great, runs great, loves the single player campaign, but the only reason i gave this an 8 is because of the online. if they had said, look, online is going to be a beta experience. ieverything about this game is better than its predecessors. the fact they pulled of a 8gb map that has no pause for loading any section as its all loaded real time was magical. everything is smooth, looks great, runs great, loves the single player campaign, but the only reason i gave this an 8 is because of the online. if they had said, look, online is going to be a beta experience. i would have been ok and accepted that.instead they told us nothing and we were given something less than to be desired. the online is quite bad, so bad, I stopped playing GTA V. It has horrible systems in place for all currency, and missions barley pay you enough to cover the bullets you have to buy to either defend yourself, or complete the missions. people cant rob each other like I was expecting, and if you destroy other peoples rides you get bad sportsmanship crap and they send you to another lobby. All in all they did a great job in single player BUT multi-player KILLED the game for me, I'm still waiting for the 500K they promised us all for the horrible excuse that online is. Expand
  38. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game can be fun if you want more of GTA, not if you want new and better GTA. In fact you are better off with Episodes or IV... there are glitches and limits to everything. It just takes the fun away. One should be able to have more interaction with non playable characters, go inside more buildings, customize more vehicles; even have more vehicles available. Nowadays it just seems like a new paint job is enough to make one content. Well it isn't. After you finish it, you desperately wonder around and you cannot even go into your properties!! In Gay Tony you could pop in the club and do some bits. I just feel like this game has fallen very short of what it could be.
    It should be an open world game, but you get anywhere and what is the point to go somewhere to clear the grey bit on your map if you get there and there's nothing going on?
    Driving is not sim nor arcade, so it is annoying. Also, I can understand why locked and not owned properties are unavailable to explore, but why, in your own place do you have inaccessible areas?
    Why can we not change the way our character looks any further, apart from Franklin, two haircuts?? What!!!? One other thing that annoys me lots is the distribution of the available properties and garages. Why are they so far from one's house, and why can you not have a car delivered to your in house garage? it is a garage... try this one: buy a vehicle, when your purchased garage is full. Then park it outside to remove one vehicle from within. when you go out the one you just purchased is gone. Now you're mad and want to go back in to see if it is there, but it isn't. Then you go out only to find you lost two cars. Then you think the police impounded it and you get there and you dunno which car it is because you haven't bothered to write down the brand of the car. then you spend $500 releasing both cars and they're just cars you don't even remember driving. But if you got home or meet up with someone and park your car, even illegally, when you come back it is there, even if it is not your assigned car, which is another silly thing. Shame this game has so much potential. I don't believe that it is focused on delivering fun, but merely selling one more GTA instalment. Every game maker should try to make games as if they never had anyone liking them before. I am sorry I purchased GTA V on the day it came out. I could have waited some time for it to be less expensive.
  39. Nov 26, 2013
    Lets start with the campaign. Personally the campaign wasn't anything new, the game itself has been a rehash of GTA 4, simply adding 3 perspectives barely changes anything, even the missions feel a little stolen theft, chasing and killing are the premises for every mission. I felt no attachment for any of the characters, especially since the main character gets slapped around like aLets start with the campaign. Personally the campaign wasn't anything new, the game itself has been a rehash of GTA 4, simply adding 3 perspectives barely changes anything, even the missions feel a little stolen theft, chasing and killing are the premises for every mission. I felt no attachment for any of the characters, especially since the main character gets slapped around like a common hooker for the majority of the game, he has no drive to get revenge usually, and only occasionally turns into the bad ass mafia man we all assumed he would be with constant ramifications. Then the side missions are also insane; smoke pot then go shoot aliens I do believe Saints row beat them to the punch. This game does feel exactly like a coalition between GTA and SR which isn't all bad but means you feel like you're replaying an older game. The main redeeming quality is the multiplayer which is fun for hours at a time as long as you play with friends the solo gamer with find it tedious with repetitive missions and heists, constant wanted stars, and the annoying high levelled gamer who follows you round for the sole purpose of killing you. Even with friends this game becomes redundant after a couple weeks, and I only pick it up for an hour every fortnight. Expand
  40. Dec 14, 2013
    As always, rockstar has released an excellent open-world adventure. The driving has improved brilliantly over IV, the map is the largest ever in the series(bigger than all others combined!) and the story line is enthralling. It's nice to see they've finally gone about fixing that annoying random cell phone calls from your buddies. Indeed, You'll never hear, "Hey Niko, wanna go bowling?"As always, rockstar has released an excellent open-world adventure. The driving has improved brilliantly over IV, the map is the largest ever in the series(bigger than all others combined!) and the story line is enthralling. It's nice to see they've finally gone about fixing that annoying random cell phone calls from your buddies. Indeed, You'll never hear, "Hey Niko, wanna go bowling?" in this series, ever. There are several disappointments, however. I'll break it down for you;

My first qualm is with the map. Although it's big(Huge, infact.) the problem is that it lacks the ability to interact with the environment to any real extent. i'd say 98% or more of the buildings are unenterable shells. that's not much of a change from the other series, but i'd have been willing to sacrifice large sections of this huge world just to be able to enter a casino, break into someones home etc.

My second qualm is in regards to the heists. Yes, those heists that we were promised. They're awesome, and fun. The problem is, you only get to experience them in the storyline and never again. The great thing about GTA that has made it stand out was it's open and interactive world. I think that is where the developers went wrong this time, they focused on size and less on interaction and depth. The other problem with no-heists-after-the-story-line is that after that, making money is hard as hell. Considering the sheer depth of new things to spend your money on besides guns(such as customization), you don't have enough opportunities to earn serious cash to fund your extravagant lifestyle after the several heists on the storyline.

My third qualm is in regards to the stock market, i still haven't fully figured out how to use the thing and it wasn't fully explained to me at any point in the game.

My fourth issue is the three character system. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, entertaining and new. But i'd rather have one character i could customize. Maybe buy a house for him, his cars and so on. But having to buy new things for all three characters, such as ammunition and guns etc was seriously irritating to me after the storyline was over.

My last qualm is that they abandoned San Andreas humor and adventure, in my opinion, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, for it's time, was a better game than GTA V. It had more to do, it was more entertaining and memorable for me, considering the limitations they had at the time. GTA San Andreas is still the high water mark in the GTA series, and they should look back at it before considering GTA 6.

Oh, one more, really minor thing. They should have waited several months or a year and just released it on PS4 and Xbone. They could have upgraded all the graphics, etc. It's obvious that the current generation of consoles struggles to bring this great vast expanse of a game to life and it would have been much better on PS4 than PS3.
  41. Dec 22, 2013
    I've been a fan of the GTA series since III, but this has to be the best one of them, this is the first one I have beaten. If I were to say one flaw with it, it would be multiplayer, they promised so much but cut short, but who knows, they're still releasing patches for it and maybe those big heists are coming soon.
  42. Dec 31, 2013
    Only GTA game Ive actually played from start to finish. The fact that you had to use three different characters made it really refreshing and really kept me interested and invested in their story lines. Of course theres still the minor glitches here and there, but honestly, the game is so good that it doesnt even matter. Loved it! Bravo Rockstar!
  43. Jan 2, 2014
    Great game. I loved how you can switch between characters and play different side stories. One of the best editions to the series. Overall it is a great game you can spend hours playing with out getting bored
  44. Mar 28, 2014
    Good game, felt a bit short for its own good especially compared to the previous titles (San Andreas, being my favorite). It almost felt easy too, outside of the final mission there was really no difficult missions like there was in the previous installments. Game play is solid, characters are good but the story is lacking compared if you compare it to the previous titles but it gets alotGood game, felt a bit short for its own good especially compared to the previous titles (San Andreas, being my favorite). It almost felt easy too, outside of the final mission there was really no difficult missions like there was in the previous installments. Game play is solid, characters are good but the story is lacking compared if you compare it to the previous titles but it gets alot better once you get toward the end and more into Trevor and Michael's "complex" friendship. I liked Franklin, I liked the idea of him as sort of a "protege" to Michael and Trevor. Overall, it was a good game not as good as I expected but still a good game. Expand
  45. Jun 25, 2014
    Wow, standards are slipping...fast.

Wow, standards are slipping...fast.

First let me say I Loved Almost all previous iterations of this once great series, but GTA V is by far an away the most disappointing. The graphics are average at best ( cutscenes are even worse ) and the map while large isn't very dense, in terms of both mini games and Easter eggs which made exploring enjoyable, now we're left with few mediocre side missions and virtually no reward for completing them. The story while enjoyable is short lived and certain characters aren't haven't had personalities developed for them, namely Franklin and Michael. Driving is fun but able to flip vehicles and control in the air makes no sense and shooting is bad, GTA 4 Shooting was much better, hand to hand combat is garbage and rockstar have no excuse for this since rock star made the warriors ( PS2/PSP ) which had fantastic combat and good stealth mechanics as well. The ocean area which makes up a FIFTH of the map is a waste of memory space, but would make for a good dynamic background. The single player was very underwhelming but the online makes its look like a masterpiece by comparison. Only 16 player on such a large map is stupid, and is poorly developed, hence the bad scores for gta online, and the fact pay outs are so low, most players get bored quickly, and activities vary from average to rubbish, and rockstars clear focus on online over single player is frustrating for long time fans. The euphoria physics, yep you guessed it are worse than Gta 4.

Let's Hope rockstars next installment in the GTA Series is Fantastic like previous gta games.
  46. Feb 13, 2014
    This game has a perfect plot, perfect ambientation and a perfect music with well-built characters. On the other hand, graphics could have been better; also the maps feels empty after 100% accomplishment; there should me more usable spaces (Casino, Theatre, Bars, Skyscrapers).

It is definitely a MUST.
  47. Mar 13, 2014
    This is a great game and I would otherwise give it a 10 but remind me why a game that started out on the PC now is released 6 months later for the platform it started on...
  48. Jun 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played almost every iteration of grand theft auto, along with most other Rockstar games, so I get what they are supposed to be like. Open-world, gang drama, drugs, alcohol, prostitutes and humour are what I consider these games to be about. This game had all that, but in a weird way.

Now I'll just say I loved the first third of this game, but after that it just got annoying and repetitive. As soon as you start working with what is supposed to be the CIA or FBI, it all goes to **** I wanted to be pulling heists and bringing in cash a lot, which you do a few times, but then you have to do missions for this organization for the bulk of the game and the story gets lost in something else.

The ending was pretty fun though and I liked how there was some selection as to how you would like it to go, even if I thought Michael was the main character the whole time and it should of been his decision.

Now on to what there is to do and see. Everyone said this map was the biggest ever and was going to be amazing. I will agree there is a lot to see and do, but it's not really that impressive when a lot of it is just mountains and grass. I mean If you weren't gonna make the city a little bigger at least make the other side cities larger or make another city the size of the original one on the opposite end of the map. Just Cause 2 has a map that's likely four times larger than this, and the tiny city in that game is likely as big as the city portion of this game.

All of the side quests are fun to do, but kind of take you out of the reality of the game. All of the hobbies are boring after you play them once or twice. I think Rockstar wanted this to be the be all, end all open-world game and they added a lot, but forgot in other areas. I believe this game should of been just single-player with the online coming out at a different date and being made by another studio.

The graphics are sub-par, there's tons of frame rate issues and the line of sight is so small and extremely noticeable while flying. The best thing this game has going for it is the voice acting and how the vehicles drive.

I'll recommend this game to people who are fans of the series, but if you are new to open-world games or this series just get San Andreas, Vice City or Red Dead Redemption!
  49. Jul 16, 2014
    Great game, but better than Half Life? Counter Strike? no. Better than GTA IV? Just Cause 2? Saints Row IV? Yes. This is by far the best of it's category and most other games. Is it better than GTA San Andreas? I think so, I think others are too attached to old memories of it, GTA San Andreas.
  50. Nov 22, 2014
    Gran Theft Auto is a game that suffers from repetition, a mediocre story, and an online mode that feels barren and still lacks a proper heist mode. The map is large but filled with empty space and there is almost a complete absence of interior space. The good things though are the great controls and while the campaign suffered from repetition and being too long it was largely still fun.Gran Theft Auto is a game that suffers from repetition, a mediocre story, and an online mode that feels barren and still lacks a proper heist mode. The map is large but filled with empty space and there is almost a complete absence of interior space. The good things though are the great controls and while the campaign suffered from repetition and being too long it was largely still fun. One thing the game does well it definitely having plenty of content. I just wish there was a little more variety and more satisfying gun play. Expand
  51. Aug 24, 2015
    GTAV is a good game, but it has problems.
    GTAV is a good game, but it has problems.
    The world is beautiful with high detail. The story is okay. The cars and other vehicles are variating. Mechanics are good but could be better. Especially character movement. It's a little awkward and not solid. And there's no hanging from ledges which can be annoying. Take the wrong step and you fall of the building. Story mode is not interesting anymore to me so the following will be based on the online portion of the game.

GTA Online is sometimes alot of fun.
    When you're playing with a friend/friends and get the creativity flowing, it's really fun.
    You will come up with crazy **** to experiment with.
    However, things get boring quickly and if you don't come up with new things to try then it's not exactly great. Like the game isn't really interesting enough on it's own. It requires your input to be interesting and fun. And you can't feel creative all the time, right?
    It also has some balance issues and there's still cheaters roaming free.
    Balance issues I mean for example the CoD kid trick as me and a friend call it.
    These easy way taking noobs killing you from their super cars while facing you with the rear of the car, taking advantage of the 100% bulletproof cover that the rear have.
    It's absurd how things like this remains unpatched, while the Sticky Bomb trick was patched (you put a Sticky Bomb on a player then that player goes into Passive Mode and you go after people and the player with the bomb is unaffected by the explosion).
    Also the money system is clearly designed around micro transactions (and they're not that micro).
    If you prefer to progress without paying real money (if you're a morally and mentally stable person), then you will have to grind and grind until your mind is numb from boredom. If you don't play heists. But those require four players (apart from first one which requires two). And it's not everyone have three friends who don't mind, have time or whatever to play with you and two others. And it's not like that mode has been there since launch...
    And, the draw distance is horrible. Same goes for the range of weapons. Any distance from medium to long requires a sniper rifle. So it gets boring sometimes because it turns into a sniper game. And that wouldn't be a problem if the sniping was good. It's not. You can't go prone and camouflage is rarely used.

GTAV is a good game at best.
    I'm glad that there's a true solid experience coming on september 1.
  52. Sep 19, 2013
    stop to cry little girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  53. Oct 1, 2013
    Meh! I've played for about 10 hours or so and am already getting bored, there is some really funny dialogue and that's what is keeping me going but otherwise its just the same old over-hyped GTA. Its not a bad game by any means and Rockstar have done an amazing job with the graphics, open world design and script but it just gets a bit samey to quickly for me. I'm looking forward to theMeh! I've played for about 10 hours or so and am already getting bored, there is some really funny dialogue and that's what is keeping me going but otherwise its just the same old over-hyped GTA. Its not a bad game by any means and Rockstar have done an amazing job with the graphics, open world design and script but it just gets a bit samey to quickly for me. I'm looking forward to the multiplayer hopefully that will be awesome. Expand
  54. Oct 5, 2013
    Rockstar Games and the GTA series helped make the open world action game genre what it is today, and because of that both deserve our respect. I'm just going to go ahead and say that this is just a review of the single-player experience only and not GTA online. I will reference GTA online in this review briefly, but will go more into depth about it with a separate review for it that youRockstar Games and the GTA series helped make the open world action game genre what it is today, and because of that both deserve our respect. I'm just going to go ahead and say that this is just a review of the single-player experience only and not GTA online. I will reference GTA online in this review briefly, but will go more into depth about it with a separate review for it that you can read when it is posted.

GTA V's city of Los Santos feels alive, brimming with personality and activities. The story and characters are excellent and fully fleshed out. You may be playing as scumbags, but they are the kind of scumbags you can sympathize with and actually are actually likable characters despite their numerous personality flaws. There is some crazy funny stuff going on in Los Santos, stuff so bizarre and hilarious that honestly a lot of it wouldn't have looked out of place in a Saint's Row game. Just turning on your TV or radio and a commercial could pop up with some of the most hilariously un-subtle social commentary you'll ever hear, making for some intentional comedic gold. It's moments like these that help GTA V set itself apart from other games in the genre that its predecessors helped create, but inconsistencies with the gameplay make it feel like GTA is lagging behind recent competitors in the open world genre.

The story missions are packed with some cool moments and tense shoot-outs, and the game is fun overall, but too often did it feel like the events leading up to these moments were just busy work used to extend the length of the game in some of the dullest ways possible. At one point the game tasked me with mopping, MOPPING! Who wants to do that in a video game? Cop chases are another frustration of mine, I can't tell you how many times I've almost escaped the cops only to have one cop car spawn right in-front of me alerting all cops to my new location and keeping the chase going. It's irritating to no end. Most of my other complaints are minor but did still hurt my opinion of the game. The graphics are a little dated, the radio stations never play anything good, and travel time can be a little too long at times. GTA Online is also still buggy, but you can read more about that in its individual review when I post it.

All of these flaws bring GTA V down, but they don't make it a bad game. It's still packed with enough fun and impressive moments to make it a good game, it's just not as impressive or as fun as a lot of the other open world games out there. But if you're looking for an open world crime game with a fantastic story, or are just a fan of the series, then you may find GTA V worth your time. Just don't expect anything particularly impressive as far as gameplay is concerned.
  55. Oct 2, 2013
    So let me get this straight..
    Tonnes of glitches! (Don't believe me, Google some of the ridiculous glitches people have posted)
    AND no online at launch. If this was ANY OTHER game with these issues, people would be complaining non stop and the review scores would be somewhere at 4/10. But because it's GTA it can do no wrong. This does not mean its a bad game, but it is not the 10
    So let me get this straight..
    AND no online at launch.
    This does not mean its a bad game, but it is not the 10 people are giving it.
    Sorry, but it's true.
  56. Sep 21, 2013
    All i can say is that i'm thankful i rented it. I played for about five hours and was bored. I much prefer story driven games. This one seems all over the place. I guess if i tried to stay with it i'd find some good game play but i don't think it's worth it. I did find the scenery and movement throughout the world excellent so i guess people who liked the older versions will love this.
  57. Oct 11, 2013
    The graphics are horrible and not suitable for big screens, there's some questionable game design, auto-aim is necessary because those idiots at rockstar decided to put this on consoles and sony and microsoft are idiots for not allowing to have other control methods than the controllers. I recommend waiting for a PC version so nothing is holding back your experience.
  58. Sep 18, 2013
    There is no denying that this game is huge and was always going to be a smash hit....but you can't help but think as you play that GTA IV was better, i preferred the characters, the story was better as well as the city. There have been improvements in some game play (though aiming is too easy and makes shoot outs almost pointless) but it doesn't feel like a new game, simple a continuation.There is no denying that this game is huge and was always going to be a smash hit....but you can't help but think as you play that GTA IV was better, i preferred the characters, the story was better as well as the city. There have been improvements in some game play (though aiming is too easy and makes shoot outs almost pointless) but it doesn't feel like a new game, simple a continuation. Had it's day??? Probably not, there will always be a new generation of game player who wants to experience the thrill of gansta life, init! Expand
  59. Sep 17, 2013
    Not sure why this has a low userscore, must be SR or old GTA trolls but this game is THE best open world game out there. Its like SA on massive roids, so much more than a hd remake. 10/10 One small note is that gta online isnt out yet so its a shame we have to wait 2 weeks for that but its going to be awesome i am sure. PS3 version is flawless not one bug and runs 30fps+ 720p native whichNot sure why this has a low userscore, must be SR or old GTA trolls but this game is THE best open world game out there. Its like SA on massive roids, so much more than a hd remake. 10/10 One small note is that gta online isnt out yet so its a shame we have to wait 2 weeks for that but its going to be awesome i am sure. PS3 version is flawless not one bug and runs 30fps+ 720p native which is VERY good for a gta game on any platform.

ifruit app is a bit dodgy but its early days and considering how smooth the retail launch was i have to say this is one of the most awesome launches ever
  60. Sep 23, 2013
    The good:
    The story. (was ok)
    The characters. Illusion of a living city. Good GFX for old console. Great sound. The Bad: Only a few and duplicated shops/activities spread around map. Very little interaction with city allowed. Simple gameplay. The missions are a breeze. Only challenge was when first learning to land a plane. Disappearing cars and people when you look away then
    The good:
    The story. (was ok)
    The characters.
    Illusion of a living city.
    Good GFX for old console.
    Great sound.

The Bad:
    Only a few and duplicated shops/activities spread around map.
    Very little interaction with city allowed.
    Disappearing cars and people when you look away then back.
    Cop chases are boring. Too easy to escape.

Summary: A nice looking virtual dollhouse for guys to fantasize in with tacked on weak gameplay.
  61. Oct 2, 2013
    GTA V is terribly overrated, like most AAA games these days, the missions are just an afterthought to tie together cutscenes. There is no challenge, no tactical decision making, no sense that you are outwitting the computer AI. The paradox is that even though it's a sandbox game, the mission sections have never felt so limiting and 'on rails'. The opening heist held some promise, but asGTA V is terribly overrated, like most AAA games these days, the missions are just an afterthought to tie together cutscenes. There is no challenge, no tactical decision making, no sense that you are outwitting the computer AI. The paradox is that even though it's a sandbox game, the mission sections have never felt so limiting and 'on rails'. The opening heist held some promise, but as the game unfolds it's clear that the designers adhere to the "rollercoaster" approach where the mission events and dialog are so scripted that there is little to no room for player creativity.

Having said that, the sandbox world is quite an achievement, the radio stations both talk and music are great, and the characters and cutscenes are probably the most entertaining you'll find in a video game. But unless you're suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder and absolutely must fly under all 50 bridges, pick up all the notes, complete all the jumps, tennis matches, etc.. the open world gets old rather quickly. And, as fun as the cutscenes are, they come at the expense of gameplay and the feeling that the game is little more than an expensive cutscene player, where you execute, basic, menial tasks to trigger them.

Like I alluded to, I like games that present a challenge and demand some kind of strategic thinking from the player. I gave GTA V a chance, because the heists sounded like they involved planning, choosing preferred/appropriate weapons for the job, maybe scoping out the building, planning which side to come in on, where to position the 3 players you control, etc... All features that a sandbox world would seem to accommodate very well. Unfortunately, the gameplay is simply not there in this one. Style over substance.
  62. Oct 3, 2013
    When buying GTA 5 I became extremely excited thinking it would of improved on everything wrong with GTA 4 and therefore make it the better game. I was wrong. The story was awful with only 69 main missions overall of which some were stealing vans and driving them back for storage. There are only three big heists in the game in which 2 are boring and easy. The last mission was also extremelyWhen buying GTA 5 I became extremely excited thinking it would of improved on everything wrong with GTA 4 and therefore make it the better game. I was wrong. The story was awful with only 69 main missions overall of which some were stealing vans and driving them back for storage. There are only three big heists in the game in which 2 are boring and easy. The last mission was also extremely disappointing as it was ridiculously easy and long winded. After finishing the game I looked at my stats and found that I had only played 5 hours as Trevor, 8 as Micheal and 10 as Franklin, throughout the whole story I never got attached to one character like I did with Niko and Roman which I feel was because of the lack of personal story based missions and the fact you have to play as 3 people constantly switching.

If you were a fan of the GTA 4 flying and driving you will be massively disappointing, they moved away from realism in the cars and instead went to Saints Row style driving with every car having an insane amount of grip which leaves you almost not needed to even concentrate on driving at all. They unfortunately went the complete opposite way in the flying department making it to realistic, you cant fly a helicopter straight for more than 5 seconds even with the maximum flying stat. This also applies for flying planes. I've tried numerous times to steal a jet which admittedly should be hard but not as crazy as it is on this, I got shot out of the sky while parachuting almost near the clouds by a tank! This level of accuracy also goes for the police who will not give up even on a 1* wanted level for at least 2 minutes, the tutorial says to hide in alleys to get away from them, but guess what as soon as you do this they pull up near you, get out their cars and start looking for you on foot.

I have been playing the online over the last 2 days and I can say I'm un-pleased with this aswell, I dont mind the constant bugs because I know so many people are on it and that its still got alot to work on. Your online character creation is horrendous and virtually impossible to make look like yourself or any human being for that matter. Rockstar also felt the need for each user to be allowed 5 online characters 2 of which are unlocked straight away, I doubt anyone will even use more than 2 character slots as you don't have special abilities or load outs for them and you may as well just play as one person and get there stats up as high as possible.

Overall I am very disappointing in the lack of enjoyment I got out of this game, If I was you I would rent before buying this game and even then with the price it is now just go and buy GTA4 as you will have more fun in every second,
  63. Oct 15, 2013
    This game was hyped for months as one of the best games of this generation, but I just can't see it. I bought the game based on a co-worker saying it was better than the Last of Us. Boy was he wrong. The story is so-so but I did like the three characters. However, GTA 5's gameplay is fun at first, but the fun wears off quick after you finish the story. In plain, it just gets boring. It wasThis game was hyped for months as one of the best games of this generation, but I just can't see it. I bought the game based on a co-worker saying it was better than the Last of Us. Boy was he wrong. The story is so-so but I did like the three characters. However, GTA 5's gameplay is fun at first, but the fun wears off quick after you finish the story. In plain, it just gets boring. It was only entertaining for the 14 or so hours I played the story. After that, no motivation. Expand
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    At first this game might look like it's very amusing. But as soon as one finishes the storyline and most of the additional missions, it becomes boring at a pase much higher than other Grand Theft Auto games. It's just too overhyped.

Secondly, I'm having massive problems regarding Grand Theft Auto V: Online. First of all, there are still numerious people still unable to go online as they receive errors like "cloud servers unavailable" or "timed out locating session". Secondly, without forwarding ports and doing other crap you don't actually want to do, you'll be placed in an almost empty session with max. 4 players in the entire map. Thirdly, there are too many bugs in the online section regarding gameplay (getting kicked out of sessions, etc.).

In the end, this game is released too soon, is way overhyped and reviewers have proven to be once more subjective and typical sheep.
  65. Oct 8, 2013
    I just cant find any incredible things in GTA V despite of its highly anticipated game, i dont think this should be the game of the year (for me), i dont say that i waste 60 bucks with this games, im just not happy on what changes i saw on this latest gta series, it is still boring eversince, i am only happy at the graphics that i dont think old hag console can handle HDR lighting butI just cant find any incredible things in GTA V despite of its highly anticipated game, i dont think this should be the game of the year (for me), i dont say that i waste 60 bucks with this games, im just not happy on what changes i saw on this latest gta series, it is still boring eversince, i am only happy at the graphics that i dont think old hag console can handle HDR lighting but anyway rockstar made another job well done Expand
  66. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rethinking my opinion of Grand Theft Auto 5 now that it's been two weeks since i've beaten it and thought about the game/storyline. First off will be the negatives. Gameplay is very rough, such as the terrible input lag during aiming that's somehow worse than GTA4's. Cover play is just as clunky and looking at the AI during combat, i see it's not that different either. Repetitive side activities such as golf, jobs or others aren't that fun and feel like a grind for stat raising. Graphics look only slightly different than GTA4, there's just no murky screen filter anymore.
    There are 3 different endings that you chose. It's literally press A, B or C on your phone when the choice comes along. Ending A and B are both pointless when C is a huge Deus Ex Machina that makes the whole point of half the storyline invalid to create a super cheesy happy ending. The humor of the game is completely juvenile thats over the top in use, and dialogue is very bland and at points annoying. (I know GTA is known for this, but it's so obvious and crudely done now.) This includes most of the storyline speech as well.
    The Map is huge, most likely 4x the size of Liberty City in GTA4, but there's a catch. All of this huge countryside that takes up half of the map is covered with trees and practically nothing to do, save a handful of badly written boring side activities. (Collect 20 of these, 30 of these, 50 of these, etc.) Vehicle control is the best it's been in the series, but then there's magically flipping your car now with the left stick and still being able to drive into a brick wall going 90 mph almost unscaved.
    Each character in the game has little to no likable traits. Trevor is a Psychopathic who breaks the laws of physics too open, and can't stop threatening others or bringing up a previous event all the way to the end annoyingly. Michael being the only slightly interesting character, but his dysfunctional family is completely overdone in satire and have some of the cheesiest moments of the game. And finally Franklin, who is basically a CJ clone when it comes to his goals, which is the typical 'get out of the ghetto into serious crimes' approach many black characters are sadly written into with GTA games. Any connection these characters feel to each other matters none in the end and at times seems completely non-existent.
    Now to look at the positives. The 3 character approach is fresh in GTA, and gives players more accustomed to squad play something similar to work with. Customization for almost everything is stepped up in GTA5, this includes cars, clothes, hair, tattoos, weapons and more. This adds a little more immersion and personalization to the game. The murky color filter from 4 is gone thankfully as stated at the beginning. Slightly better face models for characters and view distance being sort of better nice touches. Sounds in this GTA are a step above previous titles, immersing you much more.
    The heist system is very approachable, and a few of the predetermined story missions are interesting and fun. Design of the whole map is great, even if left contentless mostly. Statistics similar to that of GTA:SA are back and characters also have a unique special ability to give them an edge. Property ownership is back in GTA5, similar to that of Vice City Stories, allowing players to rake in currency to spend on the massive amount of purchases ready.
    This review was written after 40 hours of playtime and all single player content was completed. I have no urge to play the infamous multiplayer or to replay the story again.
  67. Sep 27, 2013
    I want to start out by saying this is a very good game. Overall, it is more enjoyable than GTA IV. However, I do not consider it as complete and as whole a game as Red Dead: Redemption.

It is much more engaging, beautiful, and overall less bleak than IV. The graphics (well as expected), models and world building are beautiful and well researched. The dialogue is overall much better and

The dialogue is overall much better and as are many characters (though anyone is compared to Niko).

I actually feel for Michael and his scum life, scum family and understand that is many ways, it is his fault for where he is in life, from his upbringing, to bringing up children in scum city USA and our new scum age. I legit feel sorry for him when that sad-dad music plays, but it feels anemic overall.

Our three characters are great, but feel spread thin and so does the world. Yes, it is an open world game, yes it is fantastic to explore and beautiful, and yes you can do everything from yoga to submarine exploration, to a triathlon, to a stripped-touching minigame, to robbing convenience stores.

It is just most of these things are utterly pointless and I will never do them again. The reward is either nothing (or arthritis in your dumb from the last 25 minute triathalon) or sooo largely incomparable to the prices in the rest of the world that they might as well give you nothing.

It feels like, to me, many aspects of the game are half-explored, half thought-out and don't sync with others. Heists are the most glaring example of this wasted potential. Properties are entirely useless. The only one you made a profit on is Trevor's airstrip after 12.5 missions on the plane and dune buggy, the next accessible one is Smoke on the Water for Franklin, which will earn off the initial price in about 22 weeks of in-game days. Or (assuming each save is 12 hours?) 308 times seeing Franklin go to bed, clicking past the save screen, seeing Franklin wake up..

I hear there is no reason at all to manage them, the weekly price doesn't change if you ignore them (except Trevor's I mentioned, which is mission based). There is one property that will take 5 YEARS of in game days to pay off (or 3650 saves)

I'm getting real tired of writing this review/rant, so I am just going wrap it up.

This is a well-made game, but not as much overall as RDR. This is a fun game, but the gunplay isn't as good as RDR and the driving is arcade-y and less rewarding than IV (you weren't breaking right people; don't handbreak, tap footbreak at the right moment!)

There is plenty to do, but outside of around or shooting cops, largely many of them are pointless mini-games, rewardless, or something you'll never repeat.
    This is an incredibly well-made game that feels like overall the peak of what this console generations technology can achieve, but also like parts of it were designed by committees that didn't network.

In closing I want to say that I really do enjoy this game and the characters are fun and interesting, but to me, this just isn't as complete a game as the most expensive video game ever developed should be like.

Maybe there is a chance a patch could fix the content that doesn't jive.

Also I am hoping these rumors of GTA Online being 7 dollars a month aren't true. I am just not willing to pay that, monthly fees, micro-transitions and MMOS encourage terrible, terrible behavior from developers.
  68. Sep 28, 2013
    An OK game. Nothing spectacular. As with many open world games, it becomes boring in a short while. Travelling from point A to B and watching cutscenes, that's how I would describe the gameplay. This is essentially GTA IV loaded with more features. If you weren't a fan of the previous games, don't buy this and expect it to be any different. If you were however, then you're gonna love it.
  69. Sep 22, 2013
    I appreciate the scale and extra content Rockstar has put into the game. It does feel like there is a lot to do, and it's making me slow down the pace of the story just to check stuff out. However, the story is kind of doing that already. It really doesn't flow well. The characters are ordinary in the previous games there were seriously funny characters and cutscenes, this feels like aI appreciate the scale and extra content Rockstar has put into the game. It does feel like there is a lot to do, and it's making me slow down the pace of the story just to check stuff out. However, the story is kind of doing that already. It really doesn't flow well. The characters are ordinary in the previous games there were seriously funny characters and cutscenes, this feels like a fairly action film.

What it does it does well, driving and shooting is still fun, some of the race have been great, but for difficulty and longevity of the missions themselves, I'm feeling there is something missing. The missions are so short and have not yet been a challenge...

Great game as to be expected but they could have put more time in where the game needed it, rather than building a huge map, of which most of it you'll never see....
  70. Sep 18, 2013
    GTA 5 is fantastic. It's well made, well written, looks great, and the huge world is a lot of fun to explore.

My main gripe is that it is completely derivative, lacking any innovation whatsoever. While switching between three characters is a great idea (and done well), the basic mechanics of the game are pretty much the same as every other sandbox title. As such, it feels like re-playing the same game, just with different missions.

Perhaps ironic then that such a "controversial" game has played it so safe.
  71. Oct 2, 2013
    This game really blew me away when I first started playing. The graphics, music selection, tight controls, insane level of detail, and some of the best satire I've ever experienced. The plot and story seemed interesting. Overall, everything about this game is pretty much top notch, except for the story. Its a decent story and has some interesting developments and twists, but in the endThis game really blew me away when I first started playing. The graphics, music selection, tight controls, insane level of detail, and some of the best satire I've ever experienced. The plot and story seemed interesting. Overall, everything about this game is pretty much top notch, except for the story. Its a decent story and has some interesting developments and twists, but in the end it wasn't satisfying. It started out strong, but just dragged on towards the middle and end. Also, the missions got pretty repetitive with the driving. It started to become a chore to play the game than fun. Overall, the social commentary is what makes this game amazing though. Its satire at its best and its so relevant to our modern day culture. Expand
  72. Sep 18, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto has definitely gone back to some of it's roots with this addition. I never thought the day would come when we would have this game in our hands, but my it's finally here.

R* are the sole developers I trust and have blind faith in to make a good game and Grand Theft Auto V is exceptional. The more you play, the deeper you get into the story, the more features you unlock, the more you realize just how much time and effort R* put into it. And it paid off. The world feels alive, the characters are very enjoyable and will make you laugh over and over again.

And this isn't even it, when Grand Theft Auto: Online launches on October 1st, it will push boundaries even more. The more I play single player, the more I want to play GTA: Online, which I never thought would happen as I am more of a single player type of guy and enjoy making my own fun.

R* have hit it out of the park with this game and it's sad that PC gamers come into this thread and give the game a negative review just because it's not on PC yet. It will come, I game mainly on PC and I definitely want it on PC. The fact that people come on here just to write a negative review because it isn't on a platform is exactly what proves just how badly you want this game.

R* I bow before you. Grand Theft Auto V lived up the hype and even exceeded it.
  73. Sep 17, 2013
    Sad that you have so many idiots writing posts that are ridiculous and are intended only to try and hurt the brand name. GTA is amazing. Graphically it is light years beyond GTA 4 and while i have noticed a few very minor glitches, the mechanics behind every aspect is innovative and fresh. The shear magnitude of not only the map, but the progression of your character. Everything you do isSad that you have so many idiots writing posts that are ridiculous and are intended only to try and hurt the brand name. GTA is amazing. Graphically it is light years beyond GTA 4 and while i have noticed a few very minor glitches, the mechanics behind every aspect is innovative and fresh. The shear magnitude of not only the map, but the progression of your character. Everything you do is constantly being evaluated, from decisions you make in heat of the moment situations, to simply running on foot, everything plays a part of development. The way Rockstar interweaves each characters story into another's is magnificent and keeps players engaged, without the sense of repetitiveness. I found it easy to wonder off and want to try something new, and the fact that side missions are player specific, you need not worry about losing interest. Greatest game of all time? Its definitely on the list, and any other open world sandbox should be very concerned if they want to compete with this heavy hitter. Expand
  74. Sep 18, 2013
    I figure I'd start at a 5 rating if the game was as good as its predecessor; then work up or down from there. If you’ve played the previous GTAs allot, then this game will feel much the same. Better controls, nicer graphics, more verity, and more realistic sound, but essentially the same. This of course is expected (it is a sequel to a very successful game that works on a provenI figure I'd start at a 5 rating if the game was as good as its predecessor; then work up or down from there. If you’ve played the previous GTAs allot, then this game will feel much the same. Better controls, nicer graphics, more verity, and more realistic sound, but essentially the same. This of course is expected (it is a sequel to a very successful game that works on a proven formula) and welcome since it’s been quite a while since I’ve played a GTA game (it is foreign enough to enjoy again). That all said, it still has that clunky feel of old GTA games and it will grow mundane fairly quick if you’ve really played others in the line. If you’ve never played a GTA game then it’s an absolute must buy, otherwise; I’d recommend renting, borrowing, or buying at a reduced price later in the year. Expand
  75. Sep 19, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I have not finished this game yet, I am around a third of the way through the main missions, and completed some additional activities on the side.

Grand Theft Auto V is the story of 3 lead characters and their interwoven stories. Michael, Franklin and Trevor. The 3 character system is a great idea, and I can see the advantages from a story point of view. However, I feel that it simply isn't implemented as well as it could be, or as useful as some of the pre-release footage showed. Any mission I have played to date with multiple characters doesn't let you switch as much as I would like. Chasing a boat with Franklin and Michael was fun, But when Franklin boarded the boat, I wanted to control him, not follow the chase as Michael. Later in the same mission, I would have preferred to continue driving, instead of being forced to switch to the shooter. Maybe that seems like a minor gripe, but the more I have played, the more I see the switching system as an inconvenience. Missions that can only be completed by specific characters, property that has to be bought by the right character, and separate pools of cash and ammo.

The gameplay aside from switching is tight. Cars control well for the most part, cover and gun play are fun, and the tennis and golf activities play better than some full fledged sports titles I have had the misfortune of playing. But I still find myself getting bored. For such an expansive map there are wide areas of nothing. Mount Chiliad for example. Is massive, it looms large as you approach it, and the mountain base sprawls to cover an area not dissimilar to the area covered by Los Santos itself. But it is barren. I have flew over it a number of times, drove past it even more, and have no desire to go anywhere near it.

The game is technically very impressive, with no load screens in sight, however, the resulting frame-rate issues occasionally make me wish the game would have stopped for 10 seconds to finish what it was doing before letting me carry on. Graphically it's competent, it does what it sets out to do, and the explosions are very pretty, but graphics are not this games strongest asset.

The characters are, at least most of them. Most of the characters are well written, well voiced, and have their endearing aspects. At the same time, there are a handful of characters that have bit parts that you feel should be fleshed out more, perhaps I will see them again later in the game. However, I had read other reviews, and from what I was expecting, Trevor was supposed to be the favourite for the player, and Chop the dog was supposed to be a great leap in the 'dogs in games' movement that Peter Molyneux seems to have started.

But Trevor is just a scumbag, and not the funny kind that he should be, but just a straight out scumbag, his motivations are skewed in such a way that it's hard to empathise with him, when he does some of the things he does, you just wish he would stop. As far as Chop goes, I was forced to use him in one mission, which was painful to see included in a game of this calibre and haven't looked at him since, which makes the companion app redundant so far.

I feel like I am focusing too much on the negatives, but it's only because I had such hope and hype for this title, and 15 hours in, I am only still playing it because I have nothing else taking me away right now. (So much so that I am taking to writing a review on a site I have never written on before so that I have something else to do for a while)

It's a solid game, it has some brilliant moments, but just isn't what I was hoping for, and feels like a step in the wrong direction since GTA IV. Perhaps the game will prove me wrong by the time I reluctantly finish it. But right now it feels like there will be more monotony than joy to reach the end game
  76. Nov 11, 2013
    GTA V was the most overrated game of this year, this game is awesome, but gets boring when you've played for 3 weeks. The campaign was funny, the sound, the misions but the story is very predictable and turns bad when you´ve played games like The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Halo, etc. The Multiplayer is full of activities to do, but if you aren't playing with friends the multiplayerGTA V was the most overrated game of this year, this game is awesome, but gets boring when you've played for 3 weeks. The campaign was funny, the sound, the misions but the story is very predictable and turns bad when you´ve played games like The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Halo, etc. The Multiplayer is full of activities to do, but if you aren't playing with friends the multiplayer gets repetitive and boring. This is my opinion, probably you will like this game, but when you play for a month, you will understand what I'm talking about Expand
  77. Oct 4, 2013
    I'm going to keep this shirt, sweet and to the point.

I'm going to keep this shirt, sweet and to the point.

I did not enjoy GTA4, I found the storyline tedious and Nico Belik an empty shell In comparison to Claude Speed and Carl "CJ" Johnson.... Granted Franklin didn't ring my bell, but Michael and Trevor Phillips (especially "T") were tremendous. The game is pretty same as any other GTA game since 3, however the storyline, crude humour and engrossing side missionscharacters kept me giggling like a school girl from start to finish..... Time to develop the basic fundamentals of what made GTA, GTA I think guys, another title using the same control mechanism's and game dynamics isn't going to cut it..... Fun, laugh out loud humour, lacking in the gameplay department.... Enjoyable, not an instant classic, role on Dark Souls 2.
  78. Oct 13, 2013
    Long time GTA fan, waited for this game for years and I was very disappointed.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the story and the characters but once you finish the game you wish you hadn't.
    Long time GTA fan, waited for this game for years and I was very disappointed.
    There's nothing fun to do, cops and enemies are way too accurate and kill you very easily. Rockstar could of easily down something different with police, non lethal ways to take you down (like tasers and mace?) Committing crimes are difficult which some may argue is more realistic but it takes away the fun. Escaping the police is easy, but takes a while for the stars to go away.

Stealth feels useless, no crouching, none of those minigames that some enjoyed in GTA 4, and no gambling.
    The city could of been a lot bigger while still having a big rural area, it feels like im just playing an HD texture pack of GTA: San Andreas.
    Also there weren't many heists.
  79. Nov 13, 2013
    Simply put, this game is overrated. Especially for me, the kind of player who likes to get sidetracked with killing sprees. The limitations on who you can attack, where you can go, what happens when you don't follow orders during a mission, and how often police descend upon you is rather stifling. In this regard, I had a great deal more fun in GTAIV and RDR. As far as missions and storySimply put, this game is overrated. Especially for me, the kind of player who likes to get sidetracked with killing sprees. The limitations on who you can attack, where you can go, what happens when you don't follow orders during a mission, and how often police descend upon you is rather stifling. In this regard, I had a great deal more fun in GTAIV and RDR. As far as missions and story goes, everything is feels like a big string of loosely-connected events, with little sense of progression or narrative structure. I'm sure things will pick up later in the game, but until then I have little motivation to play errand boy. Not to mention the initial story arc of having to "get enough money to pay for the big bad boo boo we made" is ridiculously stupid (in my opinion).

Anyway, note that this is only a part of my dislike for this game. I don't feel I should bother to explain myself any further, considering the number of other reviews you can read, and my perception of the validity of this site (which is very, very low), but yeah...thoroughly disappointing.
  80. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well thank god I DIDN'T buy into the hype. This game even not all hyped up failed to meet expectations. The 3 characters Trevor especially was WAY beyond over the top and just stupid and irritating. The Soundtrack don't even get me started talk about pure GARBAGE worse soundtrack yet. Trevor kills of Jonny from The Lost expansion in the first 20 seconds of first seeing Trevor that's some BS Jonny would trash him. The Heist were a HUGE let down there is all of what 4 MAYBE 5 that you get to plan and that's IT?! The mission are fun and the game is beautiful and fun but NOT even remotely worth game of the year I don't care about sale those mean nothing other then people buying into mass hype. Bioshock Infinite and Splinter cell blacklist are FAR more fun in my opinion and id get them over GTA 5. I will say that online hant been release YET BUT if it is ANYTHING like GTA 4 online it will just morph into a damn mass kill fest and get incrediably old very fast. To me this felt like a glorified GTA 4 with a GARBAGE sound track bad driving physicis and glitchy garages (car saves) and 3 main characters that I couldn't ever follow or ever connect with because I couldn't even lable them as anti-heros or protagonists that are all just complete scum.

These are just MY OPINIONS don't get all butt hurt and offended because I DIDN'T like the "best game of 2013"

END RANT.
  81. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is good but not great and the online sucks gameplay is stale story is soso I played 3 games this year that were better and the ending lol why have multiple endings the choices at the end do not fit Franks character
  82. Oct 6, 2013
    Con la cabeza fria, y despues de pasarmelo muy bien jugando al juego, veo realmente claroscuros en esta entrega. Unos graficos muy buenos( no así lo que se prometia), un mapa no tan grande como se decia, una duracion extremadamente corta, misiones faciles de correveidile.......porque el juego es facil con ganas, 5 golpes tiene el juego de los cuales solo 3 son importantes y se nota enCon la cabeza fria, y despues de pasarmelo muy bien jugando al juego, veo realmente claroscuros en esta entrega. Unos graficos muy buenos( no así lo que se prometia), un mapa no tan grande como se decia, una duracion extremadamente corta, misiones faciles de correveidile.......porque el juego es facil con ganas, 5 golpes tiene el juego de los cuales solo 3 son importantes y se nota en demasía la capada al offline para agrandar su nuevo producto: GTA Online, y es que en eso se a convertido GTAV, en 2 juegos, dejando la parte offline muy tocada. Un juego que se pasa todo el mundo que se vicia en una semana, eso es GTA V, ya no es ese juego que dura meses y meses...........o sí, si pasas por el aro de tenerte que contentar con que¡ es que el online esta muy guapo!. Muy triste, un paso atras. Expand
  83. Oct 3, 2013
    Well i wont be bragging recklessly for GTA V like the most of the fans are doing actually,i'll be honest.GTA V is a good game with massive map and tons of activities but it quickly gets boring after a while.I dont know why but it really bored me to death after playing through a repititive storyline jobs like go there,drive to that,kill that,,blah blah and once trevor appeared i literallyWell i wont be bragging recklessly for GTA V like the most of the fans are doing actually,i'll be honest.GTA V is a good game with massive map and tons of activities but it quickly gets boring after a while.I dont know why but it really bored me to death after playing through a repititive storyline jobs like go there,drive to that,kill that,,blah blah and once trevor appeared i literally turned off the game.Personally i am a huge fan of R* games and even now obsessed with the excellent titles like Red dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 and they never get boring.The driving in GTA V feels lame and playing as a Psychopath Trevor killing people for no reason was a real pain in the bu**.GTA V may have earned U.S $1 bn in 3 days but its no different than GTA IV in a sense that it quickly becomes boring Expand
  84. Oct 6, 2013
    Anyone who has played Dead Space 2 may remember a certain set piece which left Isaac suspended upside down. The player then had to fend off a bunch of attacking necromorphs with inverted controls. Earlier this year The Last of Us copied that very sequence and now Grand Theft Auto V lives up to it's name by ripping it off again. Copying shooting sections from DS 2 is a very bad idea for GTAAnyone who has played Dead Space 2 may remember a certain set piece which left Isaac suspended upside down. The player then had to fend off a bunch of attacking necromorphs with inverted controls. Earlier this year The Last of Us copied that very sequence and now Grand Theft Auto V lives up to it's name by ripping it off again. Copying shooting sections from DS 2 is a very bad idea for GTA V because GTA V has far weaker shooting mechanics.

It's not just Dead Space though suddenly I'm seeing elements I've seen before in Call of Duty and Uncharted. In terms of mission design Rockstar have played it safe here to the obvious delight of the mainstream gaming media who appear to have had their 10/10 reviews ready to go to print before the first prostitute had been whacked.

Grand Theft Auto V is not a true sequel. In reality it's Grand Theft Auto 4: San Andreas. The driving and shooting has been tweaked to make cornering and aiming easier but you can tell it's the same game engine underneath. The jokes are the same too. Republican Space Rangers, Cluckin Bell, e-Cola, to GTA veterans like myself it just feels a bit too familiar and not as funny this time round.

Did I mention there's a few cutscenes? There is, occasionally some gameplay breaks out. The script is terrible. It's mostly shouting, swearing, moaning and arguing with hardly any comedy at all. And there's so much of it and it's so constant it wears you out. With the focus very much on the three hateful characters you play as, the satire of GTA's past is pushed into the background with just one radio talk show.

The game is full of half baked ideas. 'Stealth mode', suddenly GTA needs a stealth mode. Activating stealth mode see's your character creep around slowly like an 90 year old with a dodgy hip. Yoga could have been a rhythm action score attack mini-game instead you just press the buttons your told to pointlessly. Car mods and weapon upgrades again feel underdeveloped. Races aren't real races, rubber band AI stops you pulling away or getting left behind. Just don't crash and you cross the finish line first. Golf and tennis are to easy. Even getting a lap dance see's your chat up lines run out and repeat well before you've finished wooing the stripper making it a chore.

Triathlons are the worst. Running swimming and cycling all require the same input of pressing up on the left stick and hammering the X button. It doesn't matter how fast you press either you will run at the same speed. You will overtake and be overtaken randomly by your AI opponents to give the illusion you are in a real race. Your not though just keep going, you will win. One of the triathlons lasted 28 minutes and busted my hand up pretty good so thanks for that.

I can't say GTA V is a bad game. There was a brief spell during the middle when the map was still half blocked out and the other half was bustling with activity that I felt I was enjoying it. It's not broken, it's competent and above all else it's boring. It feels slow and clunky compared to other open world games which have now surpassed it. You can't really blame Rockstar for playing it safe though, they had a lot of money riding on this and they knew that more of the same would get the job done.
  85. Mar 16, 2014
    The engine feels ancient and clumsy. The graphics are uninspiring, as is the music and audio quality. The game itself glitches, freezes, and crashes on an almost regular basis. The controls are so clumsy and non responsive that I've had to quit playing several times solely because the controls were so irritatingly clumsy and non-responsive.

The solo gameplay is great for a couple of

The solo gameplay is great for a couple of days. Once you beat it, there's really nothing left to do. Rockstar seems to have invested less of its time with fun gameplay content and more of its time with activities like golfing and tennis, arm-wrestling, and harassing your in-game cell phone with useless calls from equally useless NPCs.

The online game is exactly the same, except without the day or two of storyline and mission content. It's basically just a sprawling plaza of uninspired mini games of "team deathmatch" and "Capture the briefcase" lazily laid out over the same world map. Playing GTA V Online gives you three choices: 1) Drive around the city and PVP 2) Do the same missions and quests over and over again for cash, or 3) play a better video game.

I'm gonna go with 3 from now on.
  86. Apr 29, 2014
    Terrible handling (esp. helicopters and planes), can make money only by playing story missions, no fast travel, optional objectives are shown after you complete the mission and you must unlock weapons by completing missions!! And a lot of the missions are very boring.
  87. Sep 23, 2013
    Excelent videogame,the best grand theft auto,game of the year.............................................................................................
  88. Jun 7, 2014
    PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!!PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version nowPC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!!PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! PC version now !!!!! Expand
  89. Sep 17, 2013
    Buy this game. Dont listen to the haters. This game i amazing.so much to do. Its just insane. Pick it up asap. Dont stall. I played for 8 hours and i only at the tip of the iceburg Go get it u wont be disapointed
  90. Sep 23, 2013
    While I did enjoy the exploration the story was at best, muddled. The game milks the initial conflict all the way through the end. There's no plot twists, no character development. My second gripe is that there's no vigilante helicopter missions nor ambulance missions, In short, after completing the game with all the side missions I don't feel compelled to play it any more at all. I reallyWhile I did enjoy the exploration the story was at best, muddled. The game milks the initial conflict all the way through the end. There's no plot twists, no character development. My second gripe is that there's no vigilante helicopter missions nor ambulance missions, In short, after completing the game with all the side missions I don't feel compelled to play it any more at all. I really hope Rockstar doesn't try to charge me extra for content such as this. Expand
  91. Sep 18, 2013
    I try and make this as straight forward as possible and not come over as a fanboy, even though i have been a great fan of the series since they went full 3D with GTA 3. It's probably the most hyped game since the last GTA release, even people robbing people from their game when they bought it at a store! But beside that. Rockstar always tries to make their next GTA better than the lastI try and make this as straight forward as possible and not come over as a fanboy, even though i have been a great fan of the series since they went full 3D with GTA 3. It's probably the most hyped game since the last GTA release, even people robbing people from their game when they bought it at a store! But beside that. Rockstar always tries to make their next GTA better than the last one, and they did! In GTA IV people were missing the huge map and fun activities you could do in GTA San Andreas, that is now returned, we have a huge map, allot of activities, you can just do a bike race, a triathlon or take your dog Chop to the beach and throw a ball. With the help of a real app for Itunes called iFruit you can make chop a better dog, like learning tricks and such that will benefit you in game as well! Only downside now for this app is that its using the Rockstar Social Club servers and they have been so busy since release it can't be used.

The graphics look good, i did not expect a big improvement over the last GTA, but they sure did their best to make it look great and try and keep a stable framerate for a already outdated hardware. When you are driving real fast the framerate will take a dip down, but this was also present in the release version of GTA IV, they managed to fix that in a patch. I have no doubt we will get a patch soon. Only big downside on the graphics is the lack of Anti Aliasing so you got allot of jaggy edges going on. But for the current performance of the game i can live with that.

The characters as always are very fitting for a GTA world, but this time they seem to be a mix of three previous GTA main characters, Michael look like a high roller from Vice City, Franklin like CJ from San Andreas, and Trevor more like Nico from GTAIV, only completely insane (how insane you might ask? He deviled a teddybear at one moment, thats how crazy!)

The physics have been improved allot as well, cars handle more precise than in the previous GTA, where i crashed more than i wanted too! The rag-doll physics also are a great improvement and i can tell they used them prior in Max Payne 3. The fighting system also has gotten a needed improvement, and it can lead to funny scenes on the streets, especially when you cheap shot someone and knock him out in one punch.

The missions are allot better, and they are allot more diverse than the previous GTA's, what i like the most was during the start of the game, when you start as Franklin, you are a repo men. Meaning you had to steal back cars from people who did not pay for them anymore! Basically making Grand Theft Auto Legal Theft Auto, but the main idea is still there! A funny addition to Franklin is Chop, that eventually becomes your dog, you can take him around for a walk, throw a ball around and when someone attacks you, he will take that guy out!

Back to the missions, the big missions, are heists, they bring you more back into the heist instead of just go to the place and start the mission, like for the first heist, you rob a jewelry store, do you go in with allot of violence and witnesses? Or do you throw in sleeping gas in the AC and nobody will see you and escape quikly? If you choose the sleeping gas method, you have to a Exterminators fan and sleeping gas, choose the right crew for your mission, if you cheap out on one of your crew members, as i did with the guy who handled the weapons, you could loose a cut (of the profit) seeing he was very poor in his driving skills and crashed head on against a bridge while trying to escape on bikes.

And there are of course more side missions from helping out strangers or mission that involve around the three main characters.

The thing that stood out the most for me was how they made Los Santos even more feel like a real alive city than the previous GTA cities, when you are in Franklins neighborhood, basically a ghetto, you will see gang bangers around the corner, including with a guy on a small bike! Hookers,drunks and bums can be found in the alleys. If you go towards the beach area, that seems to be heavily inspireed by the area of Miami's Muscle Beach, you will encounter musicians, big muscled guys working out and people on the beach, and the beach really is a beach now, with towels, surfboards, lots of people sun bathing and the life guard towers are manned as well, there are even people swimming in the sea. If you walk across the beach shore, you eventually even come across a place where you can enter a triathlon! Where you start with swimming, than biking, and than running! your physical health also comes in play this time, run more, and you can sprint longer, shoot more, you get to become more handy with weapons!

Overall, the game has been improved allot since GTA IV, and we havent even seen GTA Online yet with what looks to become very promising!
  92. Sep 16, 2014
    For all its hype and anticipation, GTAV plays exactly like every other GTA game I played before it, this is both a good and bad thing. Traffic/NPC AI seems to be the same as it was fifteen years ago, activities are still boring/tedious and exist on a scale of escalating frustration. Controls are a little rigid and clunky, characters get stuck on bannisters/objects and will take coverFor all its hype and anticipation, GTAV plays exactly like every other GTA game I played before it, this is both a good and bad thing. Traffic/NPC AI seems to be the same as it was fifteen years ago, activities are still boring/tedious and exist on a scale of escalating frustration. Controls are a little rigid and clunky, characters get stuck on bannisters/objects and will take cover behind the wrong thing. In most every other aspect, GTA excels. I loved the characters (well, Trevor), the heists were excellent fun and truth be told I couldn't put the game down until I finished story mode. Expand
  93. Sep 29, 2013
    Pros:

- Most playable GTA yet in terms of combat mechanics - Lots of fun missions - Great graphics (for consoles) - Great voice acting - Well crafted world - Rockstar are putting real effort into the MP this time (we'll see how they do on Oct 1st) - Very funny writing Cons: - I don't know if it's because I'm a PC gamer and not used to console controls, however I still don't
    Pros:

- Most playable GTA yet in terms of combat mechanics
    - Lots of fun missions
    - Great graphics (for consoles)
    - Great voice acting
    - Well crafted world
    - Very funny writing

Cons:

- I don't know if it's because I'm a PC gamer and not used to console controls, however I still don't think the combat is all that great, close combat sucks, it's hard to work out where people are also as often they're not shown on the mini map.
    - Stealth sucks, you cannot stealth anywhere with it really, again enemies don't have a cone of vision or often not on the mini map so it's hard to see where to stealth, the animation is also crap, hard to tell if you're even in it.
    - Radios suck
    - Lack of interiors
    - World feels smaller than they were claiming
    - The story is weak, it's not very well paced and individual character stories seem to end very quickly
    - Poor supporting characters, GTA 4 had Brucie and Packie who were amazing, GTA V doesn't really have anyone who is memorable, even GTA SA had a much better cast.
    - Damage is toned down, vehicles don't deform like they did in GTA 4
    - The driving physics are a step down from 4 IMO
    - You die too easily now, it's no fun to crash your car to destroy it or to run around causing chaos because you cannot take much damage any more.
    - Shooting from vehicles sucks, too hard to tell where you're aiming half the time.
    - Vehicles do not catch on fire to give you a warning when to bail anymore, they just randomly explode, again this makes it unfun to try to see how much damage you can cause to your vehicle.
    - slightest shunts can destroy a wheel making the car impossible to drive.

etc etc.

This is by far the world GTA released relative to the time released, it really doesn't feel much of an evolution over GTA 4, it's worse in some cases, I just expected more 5 years later than just better graphics.

There are many more good and bad points, I'm just listing the ones that spring to mind.
  94. Oct 19, 2013
    It's a good game in every aspect except for the story.
    There's no catchy story, you just are sent somewhere to kill someone, then steal something in order to robe a bank, or assault a car.
    I feel a little bit disappointed now, because the game was getting almost perfect reviews everywhere and I think there are a lot of better games around.
  95. Oct 15, 2013
    The buggiest game I've played in years.

The buggiest game I've played in years.

At its core there is a brilliant game in here somewhere. When it does work it's a great game that's great fun and far more so than any other open world game. However, this game is bugged beyond belief. Clearly it was rushed out to try and come out before people invested in next gen consoles and it really shows. The game crashes during installs, it crashes during loading, it'll freeze as your driving down the street, your character will carry invisible weapons, you'll drive through walls that shouldn't be there. And this is just the story mode, lets not even talk about the horror that is the online mode.

It's the sort of release that I'm sure will highly benefit from the fact that you can release patch for consoles in the modern era. But if this game had come out on Playstation 2 like this, the franchise would be dead,
  96. Oct 23, 2013
    I've completed 80% of all the challenges this game offers, and got the achievement for exploring all of the map. I was quite underwhelmed by the story. I expected something fresh. Like a sudden china town mission or catching a whale or something. But it stayed way within the GTA formula, using some non-exceptional settings spread around the map, and it never felt like anything was reallyI've completed 80% of all the challenges this game offers, and got the achievement for exploring all of the map. I was quite underwhelmed by the story. I expected something fresh. Like a sudden china town mission or catching a whale or something. But it stayed way within the GTA formula, using some non-exceptional settings spread around the map, and it never felt like anything was really at stake.

The shooting mechanics are not deserving of a game world of this caliber. You can read about that before you buy the game if it matters to you.

The side missions were often more 'wacky-fun' than the main ones, and they made me like the game more. The best thing about GTA V is the satire, which is uniquely expansive and cynical. Oh and the soundtrack might be the best GTA soundtrack ever. So many lyrics that comment on the game. So many hidden gems from recent music history.

The worst thing about the game (GTA games infamously have one element that sucks) was diving for collectibles. Outside of the main missions, I spent one full hour diving for 30 x 'nuclear waste' and it might have been the most boring fetch quest I've ever played.

I've played the game for about 40 hours and I could still keep playing it for more achievements, not mentioning Online which is 'acceptable' despite crazy loading times and often mediocre sessions. A game that ticks all the right boxes but nonetheless plays like yesteryear's. A bit like a really big Fifa game with a new campaign and new amazing stadiums. It could just benefit from a game-changer, like when planes were introduced.

All in all, a very polished and ambitious GTA game. Maybe the most ambitious, and certainly the most expansive and detailed. But also the one where each gameplay element doesn't feel as rewarding as back in the old days of difficult gameplay.
  97. Sep 29, 2013
    It's huge, detailed and beautiful. Excellent game before we step up to the next generation. The best GTA so far. There is so much to do in this game; long story mode, side missions, exploring, different activities like golf, driving, tennis and parachuting... Excellent pacing and great variety in the storyline. Improved and fun gameplay. Many radio stations to listen and other great music.It's huge, detailed and beautiful. Excellent game before we step up to the next generation. The best GTA so far. There is so much to do in this game; long story mode, side missions, exploring, different activities like golf, driving, tennis and parachuting... Excellent pacing and great variety in the storyline. Improved and fun gameplay. Many radio stations to listen and other great music. This is the best sandbox game out there! Expand
  98. Feb 23, 2015
    Gta series never get the console progression.They should be stayed in 16 bits.Gta was a bad game but this V couldn't get out of its decay.Boring,overhyped,pathetic not interesting mental characters,greedy microtransactions.
    I only giving this game 2 because the graphics but this game is not fun but as it's characters a pathetic way to waste time.Rockstar give us a favor and don't make another GTA again. Your mafia cliche bad jokes and tard attitude are already wasted.Let the ip die with dignity, would you?
  99. Oct 7, 2013
    I love this game. Perfect blend of open-world action-adventure and darkly comic social commentary. The three main protagonists were flawed but likable. Driving and shooting mechanics are flawless, and the stock market trading features are interesting. I've played my first playthrough in about 2-3 game days, but the checkpoint system is near-perfect. Lots of side quests, interestingI love this game. Perfect blend of open-world action-adventure and darkly comic social commentary. The three main protagonists were flawed but likable. Driving and shooting mechanics are flawless, and the stock market trading features are interesting. I've played my first playthrough in about 2-3 game days, but the checkpoint system is near-perfect. Lots of side quests, interesting characters and a story that is gripping and gritty with a touch of humor. I suggest you watch TV in your safehouses, especially the cartoons and commercials; they're a laugh riot! Recommended for someone new to the GTA franchise (like me) as well as veterans. Expand
  100. Oct 5, 2013
    This is really a good game. A lot of people were starting to forget about the current Gen systems. But before you switch, PLAY THIS GAME. It's awesome.

1. CD-Action
    Nov 14, 2013
    The best way to bid farewell to the retiring consoles is to spend dozens of hours having fun in Los Santos: robbing, abusing illegal substances, breaking all laws and enjoying everything else that GTA V has to offer. And after we finish the game, we should all say loudly: ‘okay, Rockstar girls and boys, it’s high time to make a truly new GTA, not just a gigantic DLC’. [12/2013, p.36]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 24, 2013
    GTA V fulfills the idea of a gaming sandbox, where you can entertain yourself in many different ways - and also experience a superbly written story of three gangsters, if you want. [Issue#234]
  3. Play UK
    Oct 16, 2013
    Gigantic and stupidly detailed, GTA V is everything we hoped it would be. Individual components could be a touch better, but when a game does literally everything, nobody can expect perfection across the board. That it even comes close is incredible. [Issue#236, p.62]