7.8

1. DonP.
    Oct 31, 2007
    This third installment looses a lot of what made the first two excellent. My largest complaint is that the songs are unnecessarily difficult. When I beat GH1 on Expert, most of the difficulty came from learning the song (what a concept) and mastering a couple tricky licks, but in GH3 it feels like I'm fighting with the controller and notes that seem to be arbitrarily placed on the This third installment looses a lot of what made the first two excellent. My largest complaint is that the songs are unnecessarily difficult. When I beat GH1 on Expert, most of the difficulty came from learning the song (what a concept) and mastering a couple tricky licks, but in GH3 it feels like I'm fighting with the controller and notes that seem to be arbitrarily placed on the fret board. I want to be challenged by the music, not challenged by video game programmers looking to surpass the difficulty of the last release. Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2011
    First Guitar Hero game that I have purchased. I enjoyed learning and actually performing the notes on my tiny gameplay guitar. Spent about two weeks perfecting the songs to an average of 95%. Then I didn't care anymore. Really no game play to this type of game at all. I rather watch someone else play it.
  3. MasJ.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Fun for a while, but then gets boring quick and stays boring.
  4. MatthewC.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Guitar Hero is a great franchise, but when Harmonix left, they took their ability to make a GREAT set list with them. GHIII marks what every true Guitar Hero fan has worried of, a more mainstream than rock approach. This has also been a niche franchise, and to make it anything else shames the GH name. And let's face it; it's the third installment and almost nothing has changed Guitar Hero is a great franchise, but when Harmonix left, they took their ability to make a GREAT set list with them. GHIII marks what every true Guitar Hero fan has worried of, a more mainstream than rock approach. This has also been a niche franchise, and to make it anything else shames the GH name. And let's face it; it's the third installment and almost nothing has changed to the formula. Thankfully Rock Band will be here soon to reaffirm our devotion to this genre in video games. Expand
  5. JeffD.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Unfortunately PS2 owners get shafted on the graphics. The animations are a huge step down in quality and smoothness from the Guitar Hero 2. The performers always look awkward, especially the drummer. Oh, the drummer... (shudder).

1. You're in for one hell of a good time. [Oct 2007, p.108]
  2. I got a gang of friends together to test it out and we spent hours unlocking songs and fooling around, but, because some of us are guitar heroes and some are guitar zeroes, having a truly quality time is a tougher than it should be. It's still well worth a look. [Nov 2007, p.63]
  3. Basically more of the same, but we aren't complaining...It's Guitar Hero, it's next-gen, and it's the party game PS3 owners have been waiting for. [Dec 2007, p.74]