5.9

1. Jan 27, 2012
    I went into this game not expecting much (and paid almost nothing for it) and was still underwhelmed. Everything about this game is frustrating and awkward. Combat is especially bad as enemies are almost always indistinguishable from the environment, you get hit with bullets with virtually no feedback that's happening or where they're coming from, and enemies take dozens of bullets untilI went into this game not expecting much (and paid almost nothing for it) and was still underwhelmed. Everything about this game is frustrating and awkward. Combat is especially bad as enemies are almost always indistinguishable from the environment, you get hit with bullets with virtually no feedback that's happening or where they're coming from, and enemies take dozens of bullets until then suddenly just fall down lifeless. The camera is wonky at best, the platforming is awful, unimaginable and unresponsive, the water physics is ok but not great, and the plot is a total mess. I say all this having made it through the entire game up until the final boss fight, which I found so stupid and aggravating that I had to quit in frustration and then immediately deleted the game from my PS3. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    So this is the improved version? Then I don't want to know what the previous versions have been like ...

I'll say it as I see it - this game sucks. The only thing that speaks for it are the pretty neat water physics, but they are seldomly used for anything. Raise or lower the water level are basically the two things to do with it. Everything else about this game is average or below. The

Everything else about this game is average or below. The unlikable and/or silly characters look weird and cartoony, graphics are bad for a ps 3 game, the shootings are generic and uninspired, each encounter is liek the one before. The story has an interesting idea, but it never goes anywhere with it, but instead chases you through hallways and rooms that look all alike from start to finish. The music is terribly boring. I couldn't bring myself to finish it yet, but I'm somewhere close to the final boss and have no desire to complete this.

I also cannot understand why people give this a great score saying: "Well, it was cheap, what can you expect?"

First of all, it's not noticably cheaper than a lot of very good other games on PSN, unless you got it for "free" as a Plus member. In general, for "cheap", I will expect and accept a SHORT game, not a BAD one. In this case, I got both, but the sad thing is, it's so bad I soon wished it was even shorter.
  3. Feb 4, 2012
    My brother bought this game on PSN so I got it for free, they say the best things in life are for free right? Wrong. This game is terrible. From the opening cutscene I found myself laughing at the terrible PS1-like graphics and cheesy voice acting so bad it rivals that of the likes of ps1 version of resident evil 1. Hydrophobia is a game that's engine is based on water. I'm sorry to say,My brother bought this game on PSN so I got it for free, they say the best things in life are for free right? Wrong. This game is terrible. From the opening cutscene I found myself laughing at the terrible PS1-like graphics and cheesy voice acting so bad it rivals that of the likes of ps1 version of resident evil 1. Hydrophobia is a game that's engine is based on water. I'm sorry to say, but it's bad. I don't know why or how a company can release a game like this and feel good about themselves. I think to myself, how do employees at Dark Energy digital sleep good at night knowing that they had a hand in making this atrocious nightmare. It must be rough... I'd imagine sleepless nights. Onto what I hate: The enemy AI is terrible. It might be the worst I've ever seen in my 20+ years of playing video games. The enemies can die by drowning almost instantly in.... less then a foot of water? What? They almost always stand in the open and fire nonstop just asking to be shot as well, which... Isn't really helping the fact. The puzzles in the game are uhh questionable. You find yourself shooting off panels from walls to flood rooms or doing this stupid hacking mini game that feels like it takes forever. The more and more I played this game the more anger and frustration I felt. Everything was so repetitive. I found myself hating the Kate Wilson and "Scoot" more and more after each conversation. Don't gamers deserve more then this? Why was a game like this released? Please Dark Energy Digital, answer my questions. This isn't a long game it probably takes like 5 or 6 hours to complete. The question is, is it really worth it? No, no its not... Why should anyone suffer. I would recommend Dead Space Ignition before I recommended Hydrophobia Prophecy to anyone. At least they would only have to endure a half hour of pain. The nightmare Kate Wilson had couldn't have been as bad as the one I went through playing this game. Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Feb 2, 2012
    Perhaps 'ambitious' is the absolute best thing we can say about Hydrophobia Prophecy. List its features and goals as bullet points and it sounds incredible, but in the end it H2-blows. [January 2012, p.75]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Jan 2, 2012
    The former Xbox 360-exclusive finally comes to PS3 and the good news is that the game is a lot better than it used to be. The game received numerous patches on the Xbox 360, which are all integrated in the PS3-version. The biggest attraction are the water effects. [December 2011, p.100]
  3. Dec 14, 2011
    Hydrophobia is ultimately a hit or miss title, arguably appropriate for it's method of release, yet leaving a bland taste in your mouth regardless.