8.0

1. Apr 12, 2013
    Gameplay 10/10. Graphics 10/10. Sound 10/10. Overall 10/10. If you like the series for what it is, you probably won’t find anything to complain about here. This is probably the peak of the series. They've perfected Neptunia's formula.
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    This is an underestimated game due to what you can see on images and reviews but behind Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory there's a deep system that many games classified as RPG nowadays doesn't have.

If you played mk2 you should know that this game is very similar to it but with many improvements. So if you enjoyed the previous title, this game is a must play. If you're new to the series
    you will be able to understand the universe and the story but be aware that you must at least enjoy niche JRPGs and/or anime style. This is not an AAA title and has many aspects that you may classify as boring and poor.

Graphics in cutscenes and events have been improved because now they use 2D animation instead of the cel shading, which works better with the anime style. On the other hand, 3D graphics have not become much better than mk2. Speaking of cutscenes, that's when I say that you must enjoy japanese humour. They are long, with many dialogs that sometimes doesn't add content to the main story. Not that it isn't good. Characters are charismatic, full of personality and the jokes are funny with metalanguage, something you usually don't see on games (Metal Gear Solid has some of it).

The battle system is turn-based with free movement over the environment. It is fun and there's a good number of skills that you can use. There's also combined skills, something that I always enjoyed since Chrono Trigger. You can also transform the characters into stronger forms. One bad thing is that bosses usually do the same thing: one strong simple hit. I missed their use of skills to make the battle more dynamic. Frame rate drops during the animation of the skills but it's not a big deal.

There's a lot of sidequests that you can make and items to find and forge. Secret monsters and areas can be activated by the Scout system and there's also an affection system to unlock combined skills. Like I said before, there's many content to find in the game if you have time to spend.

There's a disadvantage for those who play only the main story without looking for extra content. The normal ending is disappointing and leaves many gaps in the story. It happens suddenly, making you ask "Wait, did I finish the game? That's it?". In order to have a better experience you need to spend more hours to watch the other endings, so I recommend looking for a guide to know exactly what you gotta do.

Unfortunately, the game suffers from recycled content. Different dungeons have the same design and they change only the enemies. The game is cheaper than the standard price, and that may justify the use of the same objects. And even having some ecchi moments in the game, I don't think they're the focus.

If you're looking for a great strategy JRPG and enjoy the anime style you should take a look at this game.
  3. May 10, 2014
    My initial impression of this game was not exactly favorable, but after playing it for while, I really started to enjoy it, behind the framerate and other such issues lies a greatly made JRPG with humorous dialogue, likable characters, challenging enemies, and a lot of content to be explored. The combat system is very standard and not very special, but it's still average in terms of RPGs, the dialogue is very well-written, the music is fairly good, not exactly special, but it's fitting. It's certainly not a AAA title, it recycles models frequently and recolors them, but that adds a bit of charm to the game, it's not perfect, but it's still really good for what it is. I would definitely recommend the game to any RPG fans, especially fans of the Agarest War series. Despite its flaws, it's a wonderful and charming RPG. Collapse
  4. Jul 8, 2014
    If it weren't for the game play of the first game I would have a harder time saying this, but HDN V is definitely the best game of the series at the moment (Rebirth should change that)
    Best game play by far though I would say not as charming as the first game.

If you've played the Japanese version or read the original script you'd know the terrible localization NISA gave this game
    which is one of my biggest complaints easily.

Either way best game of the series, but definitely don't start playing the series from here and going backwards, it's hard to adjust to the game play getting worse.
  5. May 10, 2014

1. Jan 14, 2014
    With top-tier writing and characterization, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory does its series proud.
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    For a JRPG, having no worthwhile character development or well-written plot is a death sentence, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory is guilty on all accounts. Its annoying characters will test even the most ardent of JRPG players and its ho-hum, dungeon-crawling gameplay leaves much to be desired. Even with the excuse of being a niche title, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory doesn’t meet even the most basic requirements expected of the genre.
    An hilarious RPG that tries to be light-hearted, yet deep at the same time. Those who love Compile Heart style RPGs will fall in love with this sequel, but detractors will turn their nose up at it. Great for the fans but not a gateway game to bring non-fans into the fold.