8.0

1. Apr 12, 2013
    Gameplay 10/10. Graphics 10/10. Sound 10/10. Overall 10/10. If you like the series for what it is, you probably won’t find anything to complain about here. This is probably the peak of the series. They've perfected Neptunia's formula.
  2. Jul 8, 2014
    If it weren't for the game play of the first game I would have a harder time saying this, but HDN V is definitely the best game of the series at the moment (Rebirth should change that)
    Best game play by far though I would say not as charming as the first game.
    Best game play by far though I would say not as charming as the first game.

If you've played the Japanese version or read the original script you'd know the terrible localization NISA gave this game which is one of my biggest complaints easily.

Either way best game of the series, but definitely don't start playing the series from here and going backwards, it's hard to adjust to the game play getting worse.
  3. Sep 2, 2013
    This is an underestimated game due to what you can see on images and reviews but behind Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory there's a deep system that many games classified as RPG nowadays doesn't have.

If you played mk2 you should know that this game is very similar to it but with many improvements. So if you enjoyed the previous title, this game is a must play. If you're new to the series you will be able to understand the universe and the story but be aware that you must at least enjoy niche JRPGs and/or anime style. This is not an AAA title and has many aspects that you may classify as boring and poor.

Graphics in cutscenes and events have been improved because now they use 2D animation instead of the cel shading, which works better with the anime style. On the other hand, 3D graphics have not become much better than mk2. Speaking of cutscenes, that's when I say that you must enjoy japanese humour. They are long, with many dialogs that sometimes doesn't add content to the main story. Not that it isn't good. Characters are charismatic, full of personality and the jokes are funny with metalanguage, something you usually don't see on games (Metal Gear Solid has some of it).

The battle system is turn-based with free movement over the environment. It is fun and there's a good number of skills that you can use. There's also combined skills, something that I always enjoyed since Chrono Trigger. You can also transform the characters into stronger forms. One bad thing is that bosses usually do the same thing: one strong simple hit. I missed their use of skills to make the battle more dynamic. Frame rate drops during the animation of the skills but it's not a big deal.

There's a lot of sidequests that you can make and items to find and forge. Secret monsters and areas can be activated by the Scout system and there's also an affection system to unlock combined skills. Like I said before, there's many content to find in the game if you have time to spend.

There's a disadvantage for those who play only the main story without looking for extra content. The normal ending is disappointing and leaves many gaps in the story. It happens suddenly, making you ask "Wait, did I finish the game? That's it?". In order to have a better experience you need to spend more hours to watch the other endings, so I recommend looking for a guide to know exactly what you gotta do.

Unfortunately, the game suffers from recycled content. Different dungeons have the same design and they change only the enemies. The game is cheaper than the standard price, and that may justify the use of the same objects. And even having some ecchi moments in the game, I don't think they're the focus.

If you're looking for a great strategy JRPG and enjoy the anime style you should take a look at this game.
  4. May 10, 2014
    My initial impression of this game was not exactly favorable, but after playing it for while, I really started to enjoy it, behind the framerate and other such issues lies a greatly made JRPG with humorous dialogue, likable characters, challenging enemies, and a lot of content to be explored. The combat system is very standard and not very special, but it's still average in terms of RPGs,My initial impression of this game was not exactly favorable, but after playing it for while, I really started to enjoy it, behind the framerate and other such issues lies a greatly made JRPG with humorous dialogue, likable characters, challenging enemies, and a lot of content to be explored. The combat system is very standard and not very special, but it's still average in terms of RPGs, the dialogue is very well-written, the music is fairly good, not exactly special, but it's fitting. It's certainly not a AAA title, it recycles models frequently and recolors them, but that adds a bit of charm to the game, it's not perfect, but it's still really good for what it is. I would definitely recommend the game to any RPG fans, especially fans of the Agarest War series. Despite its flaws, it's a wonderful and charming RPG. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2014
    In general, the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise is indeed an interesting one. Very anime-ish in it's design and it does indeed tend to go toward a somewhat perverted humour. But that isn't bad at all. It's actually what makes the games so charming!

But back to the game at hand, the third installment in the main series: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. My god, this game. Likable

My god, this game. Likable characters, nice graphics, fun gameplay and a decent soundtrack.

You have the usual cast of the four CPUs: Neptune, Noire, Blanc and Vert. The CPU candidates also make an appeareance, though Nepgear is the one you'll be looking at the most.

But wait, there's more! This game also introduces new characters to the series! One of which being Plutia, or Iris Heart. She's an adorable sadist. That's all I have to say.

The graphics and general design of the game is, as stated earlier, very anime-ish. I, myself, found it to be very enjoyable, though! It's no lie say, that the entire game looks like it was taken straight out of an anime! Everything from the characters to the in-game areas is that "anime".

The dungeons themselves are pretty good, I'd say. They are rather unique and looks interesting. I really wanted to go explore them myself, but when you encounter the enemies, it just gets that tiny bit more enjoyable. The enemies range from "Aww, that's adorable!" to "The heck is that thing!?!", something I do indeed appreciate.

But this is also where the only real drawback in the graphics/design department is. They re-use dungeons and enemy designs. A lot. Though, to be fair, they do a good job at making the dungeon layouts different (well, most of the time), so it's not unbearable.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the soundtrack. "Why is that?" I hear you ask, and I shall answer thine question! It's incredibly forgettable.

Now, the soundtrack itself isn't bad, just... not that amazing. Don't get me wrong, there are indeed a few hidden gems in this game, two of which being "Uni's Theme: Version V" and "Yellow Hearts' Theme". These aren't the only ones, it's just the ones I'm able to remember. And that is despite having played the game a few hours ago!

And it's a shame, really. The soundtrack of the franchise in general is really not that amazing. When I'm going to play a JRPG for the first, the things that mean the most towards me liking or disliking it, is: the story, the soundtrack, the gameplay and the gameplay. Personally, I'd say this game nails them all, except for the soundtrack one (ok, the story is decent at best. Happy?). It's been a problem since the first game and granted it has become better with each title (except for Producing Perfection. That game is "meh" on pretty much all aspects...), there's still quite a ways to go, before it'll become really good.

Here's hoping for Victory II to have an amazing soundtrack!

I'll go over the gameplay very brief since it's got a lot in common with most other JRPGs.

The menus' is as you'd expect. Press a button for something to happen. Press a button to talk to people. Press a button to view events. Press a button to enter a dungeon. Not a whole lot there.

The overworld is hardly any more complex. You move your character around and press a button to initiate battle (or you can let the enemy sneak up from behind!) You can pick up items and search for hidden ones. You can jump, which is totally badass, as well as open the main menu to change equipment and make combos.

Battles' are quite easy to understand as well. You position yourself so that you can attack the enemy with your sweet homemade combos, use SP-Skills or EXECUTE EXE-Skills (I'll find the way out myself....)! With the press of a button you open another menu that allows you to transform, flee, switch with the backrow party member or use an item. And that's really the gist of it!

All in all, this game is great. The characters personalities, as well as the characters themselves are enjoyable and fun to watch and be with. The graphics and general design of the game is light on your eyes and rather creative, though they tend to re-use areas and enemy-designs. It's also a very anime-ish style game, which might scare off some people. The gameplay is easy, enjoyable and fun. You can quickly get into it. The soundtrack is decent and very forgettable. It shouldn't be the reason you would play the game.

I'd say the game makes up for it's flaws with what it does good, and that is also why this game stands as my favourite game of all time, right besides Ōkami.

1. Jan 14, 2014
    With top-tier writing and characterization, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory does its series proud.
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    For a JRPG, having no worthwhile character development or well-written plot is a death sentence, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory is guilty on all accounts. Its annoying characters will test even the most ardent of JRPG players and its ho-hum, dungeon-crawling gameplay leaves much to be desired. Even with the excuse of being a niche title, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory doesn’t meet even the most basic requirements expected of the genre.
    An hilarious RPG that tries to be light-hearted, yet deep at the same time. Those who love Compile Heart style RPGs will fall in love with this sequel, but detractors will turn their nose up at it. Great for the fans but not a gateway game to bring non-fans into the fold.