Just Cause 2 PlayStation 3

8.0

1. RobD.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Decided I would do the same as I did when I first got hold of GTA San Andreas and do all the stuff on the side whilst progressing the game at a snails pace in the background - milk it for all its worth in other words. Easy enough to do with Just Cause 2 as there is such an incredible and picturesque environment to explore (and blow up!). No game before it has even come close to creating Decided I would do the same as I did when I first got hold of GTA San Andreas and do all the stuff on the side whilst progressing the game at a snails pace in the background - milk it for all its worth in other words. Easy enough to do with Just Cause 2 as there is such an incredible and picturesque environment to explore (and blow up!). No game before it has even come close to creating such an incredibly detailed, vast and open World for you to lose yourself in....and with the ability to climb up mountains now with a parachute - awesome! For the first 30 hours or so of generally mucking about and causing pandemonium I have never been so engrossed and overwhelmed with a gaming World. So many moments of intense vertigo, so many ridiculously oversized structures - imagine what this will be like in true 3D when it comes along! Anyway, great fun dicking around and taking over parts of the huge island complex, but ultimately it started to get a bit repetitive and perhaps there are just one too many "settlements" crammed into this place, so started to get into the game's storyline. And this is where the rating of 7 comes in. I've basically given them one point for every mission in the story. The missions themselves are nowhere near as varied and interesting as the original and I was absolutely gobsmacked to find that after 7 pretty mediocre efforts I'd completed the game! This was the one criticism that Avalanche got about the original - great game, environment, but promised so much more. Instead of addressing this and making the story longer and more interesting they seem to have expended all their energy creating the playground and yet again leaving the plot to play second fiddle. So, like GTA 4, a fantastic technical achievement but gameplay has taken second fiddle yet again and meant that one of the best games out there is yet again also a massive disappointment. Expand
  2. Jul 13, 2012
    This game is the epitome of quantity over quality. Absolute loads of, very well designed it must be said, terrain to explore but due to several severe gameplay issues it still leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
    Issues include the ridiculous ramp in difficulty as you progress through the game, poor storyline and voice acting, collect-em-up aspect towards progression and due to bizarrely mis-priced items in the games black market, scarcity of weapons/ammo/health etc. the game presents you with a great sandbox yet a fundamental lack of toys to play with in it.
    If the game had, for example, an unlock and customisation system like Saints Row 3, the difficulty curve and story quality of Grand Theft Auto and perhaps some cheat options It would be hard to fault, as it stands however I'm left to wonder how much better this game could have been.
    Here's hoping a third instalment addresses those issues.
  3. Aug 20, 2010
    The game starts off well but soon goes downhill simply by not upping it's game enough and flaws build up on top of what should be a fun experience. My personal gripe is with the gun controls which are... unique. I brought the game because I took a long time to tire of the demo, if you play the demo for more than 50 times you have the full game for free.
  4. Dec 21, 2010
    An initially charming sandbox action game that features a gigantic game world and a hero equipped with a slingshot and a parachute, allowing him to reach any imaginable place on the map. Plays well but the story is practically non-existent and more dumb than camp, and the side activities are seriously limited and horribly repetitive. Great fun at first but in the long run, way too big withAn initially charming sandbox action game that features a gigantic game world and a hero equipped with a slingshot and a parachute, allowing him to reach any imaginable place on the map. Plays well but the story is practically non-existent and more dumb than camp, and the side activities are seriously limited and horribly repetitive. Great fun at first but in the long run, way too big with way too much of the same. Expand
  5. YellowJ
    May 2, 2010
    Decent game, gets repetitive and it loses most of it's fun before you can finish it. Check it out if it interests you, or play the demo on the PC/PS3/360 before you purchase it. If the demo stays addicting, check it out. If get all fun you can from the demo, chances are the full game isn't for you. Didn't really like the game. Also, some of the game design is really Decent game, gets repetitive and it loses most of it's fun before you can finish it. Check it out if it interests you, or play the demo on the PC/PS3/360 before you purchase it. If the demo stays addicting, check it out. If get all fun you can from the demo, chances are the full game isn't for you. Didn't really like the game. Also, some of the game design is really questionable, like you accidental blow up vehicle in some small town with the population of 12 and then 10 second later you're getting attacked my helicopters, infinity and rockets. Expand
  6. Nov 1, 2010
    Great visuals let down by a weak story, impossible to control cars, and a lot of repetition. still a fun game while it lasts though, but do not expect anything like gta iv.
  7. Jan 12, 2011
    A great game at first. Awesome missions, many ways to complete them, variety, but after a while it gets a bit annoying with the missions. Even though i think its a great game! Very unrealistic. Just how we like it.
  8. Nov 3, 2011
    The enjoyment from Just Cause 2 definitely doesn't come from its short singleplayer campaign, but from the abundance of random activities you can preoccupy yourself with. From hijacking helicopters and leaping from tall mountains, to flying around from island to island with your grappling hook, it seems there is always something to be done to keep yourself busy. The story itself is clicheThe enjoyment from Just Cause 2 definitely doesn't come from its short singleplayer campaign, but from the abundance of random activities you can preoccupy yourself with. From hijacking helicopters and leaping from tall mountains, to flying around from island to island with your grappling hook, it seems there is always something to be done to keep yourself busy. The story itself is cliche and fairly simple, although it is quite clear that was the developers motive. It matters little though, because Just Cause 2 allows you to wreak havoc in one of the biggest game worlds I think I've ever experienced. And that alone, is worthy of merit. Expand
  9. Jan 18, 2012
    Quantity over quality? Quantity, there is. (Except for the seven super short and super easy â
  10. Nov 22, 2012
    Good thing i got over the story line. I wanted to throw up every time i heard a piece of dialog. Seriously, It was like someone punched me in my ear. The graphics and game play were pretty awesome. Amazing actually.
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    fun but it gets boring cool map but its very copy and pasted the game has good graphics but a **** story with repetitive missions the game is fun for the first 30 hours
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    We need to recognise JC2 for what it is intended to be: a fun-filled, action-packed explosive shooter. In addition, the sheer size of its explorable world is simply amazing.
  13. May 15, 2015

1. Games Master UK
    All things considered, Just Cause 2 is comfortably the best "zany" sandboxer out there, and a brilliantly improved sequel to the great-if-flawed original. [Apr 2010, p.60]
  2. One of the most enjoyable sandboxes for players to experiment in this side of Grand Theft Auto. [Issue#204, p.86]
  3. Just Cause 2 can hardly be called an average game. It's a good one undermined by a selection of mediocre elements, and it's all the more frustrating this time around because Avalanche shows us glimpses of just how much fun two weeks on holiday with Rico should be. [Apr 2010, p.96]