5.2

1. Aug 17, 2010
    I have a hard time finding out why peaple hate this game so much. The entire style was centered around reality capture from home/security cams. That reality TV style merges over to the fact that nudity and grotesque scenes would be blured. Yes its short but I've come to aprreciate shorter games so I actually finish them. The long drawn out campaigns rarely hold my interest to the end and often don't get completed. I've fallen into comfort with games eight to fifteen hours in length. The online modes are interesting enough for me to want to continue on through them. Most of the game is based in Shanghai so the level design does not suprise me. Its cramped and uncomfortable at times, but its designed how most slums and highly urban areas are. Sephyboy (see the 360 review section) needs to talk to his therapist about his apparent need for over the top violence in his leisure. The execution is a little sloppy, but the game itself is exactly what I expected it to be based on the demo and the previous version. And I'm happy with it. The story itself is fun to watch unfold, the characters play off eachother well, the voice acting is great, the atmosphere is bleak but with some awesome backsplashes of neon from signs, the gunplay is what I've come to expect from all games and the visual style was a nice change of pace for me. I'm not sure what these negative buyers were expecting, but I'm quite happy with it. Expand
  2. Aug 17, 2010
    Honestly, I rate this game a 9 but considering how much unwarranted vitriol there is out there about this game I have to make up for it by giving it an extra point. This game is BRILLIANT. The set pieces are on par with Hollywood films and rarely (if ever) have environments been given this level of detail in a videogame. The gunplay does get slightly repetitive but then I'm forced to think about COUNTLESS other games where the gunplay is dull, and the one that springs to mind immediately is Halo. Regardless, this game is a must buy for anybody who is into a mature shooting experience devoid of purple aliens (Halo) or giant lizard men (Gears of War). It's a visceral, awesome shooter and it honestly breaks my heart to see such a uniquely awesome game get such a terrible rap. And yeah, the visual style is unprecedented. Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2010
    I'm not quite sure why this game has recieved such ill reviews. I had preorded the game, but because of shipping choices, recieved it just yesterday--I was all bummed out because of how it was getting beat on. So I haven't completed single player yet, but I am all a go for this game. The story is some what thin, but still intriquing and pushing you to want more. Its a story of misdeeds, misundertanding and revenge at this point, and thats real cool with me. The characters communicate throughout, which is quite entertaining--opposed to the mute characters of most games--the difficulty slowly increases to push you more--AI can be a bit retarted sometimes--but that happens all games--but the thing that makes me most intriqued about the game is the incredible art style-the shaky camera--the fuzzed out explicit images--the color schemes--the non-impenetrable cover(breakable/weak cover), the knockdown before death--and the gun powers and aiming--some guns are stronger than others...and aiming is perfect--some guns you get a hairpin aim others are a bit messy--kinda like real guns...

Although it has all these cool things included--I could see how its not something for everyone. And as for shooting it doesn't do anything for innovation---but what games have? Individuals will point to Gears--but I didn't find much differnce in game play between this and Gears--its a shooter--its got cover--(only disappointment is that there is no Mele attack) which for the purpose of the game doesnt make sense--though you can use someone as a sheild and execute or throw them--which is mele to some extent. It just makes the way you play a bit different--long distance and a bit of sneaking

Overall I give the game a 9--it doesnt deserve the crap that reviewers have given--it goes far ahead of many games out there that have recieved better scores--and the sheer look of the game pushes it into a whole new range of game quality. Its distrubing to see so many gamers and reviewers **** on a game just because it doesnt fit the norm-
    -PSS--The game is gritty as hell...its awesome.
  4. Oct 28, 2010
    I dont think this game really think this game lived up to its expectations it was partially enjoyable but i was expecting a lot more. The multi player was alright however there wasn't as much variety to it
  5. Aug 25, 2010
    I'd normally give this an 8 but it think i need to give it a 10 to balance out the negative reviews. But I'm having a hard time finding why people to don't like the game. It's actually pretty good
  6. Aug 22, 2010
    Amazing game! I played through the first game and i must say this second K&L is by far better. Intense action, great acting, great story, and a great co-op option... If you like and love action games, then this is a must have in your collection! Pay no attention to the low scores below because you will be missing out on a great game.
  7. Aug 25, 2010
    i think the general consensus on this proves the reviewers are full of **** if i doubted em before, this proves it - Dog Days is a visceral rated mature shot in the arm especially after the barren release wilderness of the past summer, the game looks amazing. sounds amazing, plays amazing.. feels like a launch title on a new console to me, very refreshing. n actually justifies its 18 cert - extreme mode is essential, adds to the gritty realism remember when you hear folk complaining of bad AI, theve probably got an easier setting on. this mode adds to the sense of realism. Kane n Lynch are all to easy to loathe, n the reviewers fell for it hook line n sinker. though judging by sales, its not bn affected. n it seems the large amount of folk who purchased it are too busy enjoying to leave any web feedback, as theres almost nothing but negativity based on the waay unjust scores. Expand
  8. Sep 2, 2010
    I honestly don't know what is all this bad water surrounding the game. True, it falls short of being a great game, but it certainly doesn't deserve this kind of a witch hunt. Solid gameplay, interesting multiplayer, very decent visuals and a bold new art direction make this a definite 8. Sure, the story isn't what you would expect after playing through the original, but it's there nonetheless.

And please metacritic.com, at least try to be fair and take GameTrailers.com review score into account. This game doesn't deserve a 64! It's good enough to at least be "in the green".
  9. Sep 7, 2010
    Excellent game and finally somebody has the balls to try something new in the shooter genre and IO has done a great job. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is a very violent game, but combined with the very raw artistic style in the game and great effects, it fits perfectly in. As always in IO games the music is great and the voice acting is very good.

I understand why some would not like this
    game, because of it's very special style, but giving this game 1/10 and 4/10 is ridiculous and a cheesy way to attract hits.

The single-player can be played both alone and in co-op with friends or random strangers and both modes are highly recommended, great fun. Also included is some great multiplayer modes, but also an arcade mode, which is played against the AI.
  10. Sep 9, 2010
    I still think that Kane and Lynch, the characters, sell the franchise alone, despite its game play shortcomings. Still, it is undeniable how the grittiness that was sought by the first game to mixed results is finally captivated in the sequel. I'll wait for the third game, Io/Eidos/Square.
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    THE most underrated shooter of all time. I'm convinced that if the "steady cam" camera mode were set to "enabled" at start, the average review for this would be much, much, higher. Like others have mentioned, the shaky camera thing that is on by default was a giant mistake. Had I myself not already seen a review with a tip about turning it off, I probably would have stopped playing after about ten minutes, and subsequently missed out on what I believe to be one of the most immersive, thematic, well acted, richly evocative, and just plain fun action games of the decade. Bear in mind, I'm talking strictly about single-player here it's now 2013 and the multiplayer game has totally dried up.

The other reason I think this game gets lower reviews than it deserves: the lead characters are morally ambiguous criminals. And we're not talking about lovable anti-heros like the guys from Oceans Eleven or Heat (although the action sequences from that film were definitely an influence here, which is a great thing..) I can totally understand how the Gears of War crowd might find it challenging to assume the role of a desperate, balding, impulsive, mid-level crook. The world of Gears of War is downright antiseptic compared to the characters, setting, story, and visual aesthetic of Kane and Lynch. In this game, killing innocents who get in your way comes with no penalty. There is no good/bad meter. The game leaves that stuff all up to you. And if you want to fully enjoy this game, you really can't sit in judgement of the characters, you have to embrace them in all their un-redeeming glory. Several times while playing, I had to remind myself that it was okay to be bad, because it is after all, just a game. So I am not surprised that many gamers reacted so harshly to the prospect of playing as someone who is just ugly, physically and morally. I will say that when I did open myself up to what the game challenges you to explore, it was one of the most enthralling experiences I've had sitting in front of a TV. That said, Kane and Lynch are not completely unsympathetic I wont go into story stuff here... suffice it to say, I had a much, MUCH deeper emotional connection to them than anyone in Gears, Halo, Far Cry, whatever...

Regarding the story it was so refreshing to not have to sit through tons of exposition. I find it ironic that people complain about the length of the single player campaign here, because where are the complaints for the tons of padding in so many games that have you sit through a deluge of expositional recordings and tedious backstory that doesn't forward the plot or connect you to the plight of the characters in a meaningful way? Even everyone's beloved Bioshock, which I played concurrently with K&L the entire story takes place in the past it doesn't drive the action so much as vary the pace of the game with dialogue that is admittedly less dry than the typical "data discs" or "ancient tomes" scattered throughout most modern video games, but let's face it, the thing that makes Bioshock great is the environment and the overall concept. I can't stress enough how much I dislike having to listen to or read long stretches of exposition in leu of actual forward moving story structure. In K&L the story takes place in the present. No boring cutscenes talking about their past. The story elements happen DURING THE ACTION. Perfect. And the performances are AMAZING. What is the downside to minimal cutscenes and zero expositional text/audio? The game is shorter. Because it figuratively and literally cuts to the chase. As for the reviewer who claimed there is no story... I don't even know how to address that... I can only guess that they are so used to the the trite, overwrought, highly expositional nonsense one finds in most games that they don't recognize good storytelling when they see it. Good storytelling is simple, visceral, and hopefully, invisible. I consider the storytelling in this game masterful. For me it was one of the most cinematic gameplay experiences I've had. To any potential future players, let me say this... when you play through this game, at a certain point you wind up taking refuge in a television store... when that scene happens, think back on what I'm talking about here, and ask yourself is there a story? I think you will agree, the answer is yes. And it is FAR more engaging than your typical shooter.

Finally, regarding the hit detection. I don't get people's complaints here when you hit the enemies, little x's appear right where you hit them, so you get a very acurate sense of the spread of bullets. If they're not taking hits, it means their cover is too high and you need to think tactically and try to flank. This is not a flaw, this is good gameplay.

Clearly this game isn't for everybody. But for those willing to go where this game wants to take you, all I can say is... buckle up.

1. Kane & Lynch 2 is as much an online grudge generator as it is a video game. [Issue#51, p.120]
  2. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is an interesting beast because it really shouldn't exist. Outside of a unique art style it brings nothing new to the genre and does little to improve over the original game, which I might add, was far from a good game.
  3. Better than the first title, but due to lackluster visuals (lights above can even leave visible bars on the screen), erratic AI, and the frustration level enhanced by foes that never miss and guns that suck, it still falls shy of the "must-try" plateau.