8.4

1. Nov 9, 2013
    The original Kingdom Hearts for PS2 was one of the sleeper hits I think I only tried on a whim the first time around. The concept, a merging of Final Fantasy and Disney, struck me as odd. As it turns out, not only was it incredibly fun, but the concept actually worked. It was a pleasure to encounter classic Disney characters and take on favorites like Cloud, or meet Aerith in a newThe original Kingdom Hearts for PS2 was one of the sleeper hits I think I only tried on a whim the first time around. The concept, a merging of Final Fantasy and Disney, struck me as odd. As it turns out, not only was it incredibly fun, but the concept actually worked. It was a pleasure to encounter classic Disney characters and take on favorites like Cloud, or meet Aerith in a new setting.

So basically when I heard it was getting the HD treatment for PS3 I was very psyched.

Graphics:
    KH HD is bright and beautiful, and looks great on a wide screen HD TV. The artists did a wonderful job on the upgrade. It's not going to have that realistic quality you see on a game like Final Fantasy XIII--it occasionally looks a little polygonated still--but it works really well.

Story:
    The story is unchanged from the original. All the different Disney worlds exist in a connected universe, and these shadows called the Heartless around going around destroying those worlds. Our hero, a young boy named Sora, has to travel around with his magic keyblade and seal the worlds against the Heartless.

It's ridiculous, but relatively fun.

Gameplay:
    So, here's where I have mixed feelings about the game. The gameplay is basically unchanged from ten years ago, and that's both good and bad. Because things that I accepted back then now annoy me as they've been phased out of game design a bit. The platforming, in particular, was sometimes more frustrating than fun. The way enemies sometimes spawn out of nowhere, repeatedly, and more pointedly, the amount the game makes me backtrack, was sometimes irritating. It was far too easy to fall off a ledge--or worse, be forced off by one by having to fight enemies--then having to backtrack through the same area five times. What do I mean having to fight enemies? Well you can't interact with the environment unless you clear all the enemies, which, in some areas is truly annoying.

Now, don't get me wrong, in the beginning and towards the end, I was truly enjoying reliving the experience. Taking down Cerberus in the arena (in fact all the arena fights) was still awesome, and some of the later fights were classic. There were times, however, when I felt the game showing its age. I simply don't have the patience for some things I did back then.
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    I applaud the idea of re-releasing the series in a high definition format. The compilation includes the original Kingdom Hearts; dubbed Final Mix and includes various additions to the original title. New enemies, new bosses, new synthesis materials, new abilities, new cut scenes and the introduction of trophies. The battle between light and darkness is at the forefront of every worldI applaud the idea of re-releasing the series in a high definition format. The compilation includes the original Kingdom Hearts; dubbed Final Mix and includes various additions to the original title. New enemies, new bosses, new synthesis materials, new abilities, new cut scenes and the introduction of trophies. The battle between light and darkness is at the forefront of every world and the protagonist sets on a journey to reunite with his friends. Although relatively short, the game is enjoyable as the player relives the slightly altered adventures of Disney's favoured cartoon characters. This title will be individually rated as 7/10. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories continues the Kingdom Hearts franchise in a new area where the protagonist once again relives the worlds encountered in the original title. This title is extremely repetitive with the same boss mechanics in the original game. The battle system completely revamped and focuses on a card system which at first is difficult to master. Although different this title was some what disappointing and very frustrating to earn the platinum trophy. For these reason the title has been individually rated as 4/10. The final title in the compilation is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days which has been included as a collection of cut scenes that runs simultaneously with Chain of Memories up until the introduction of Kingdom Hearts 2. Due to this title not being an actual game it will not be individually rated. Combing both ratings this title has been rated as 6/10. The compilation is recommended for the younger audience or those whom are wishing to relive the series prior to the release of the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD and Kingdom Hearts 3. Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    It doesn't hold up as well as you'd like. I mean, the HD textures make it rather pretty, but the game shows its age in the poor localization and sophomoric directing of the pacing in the story. Thank god for nostalgia, because I don't know if anything else would actually compel me to finish replaying this game with its vague directions, poor collision detection and still somewhat wonkyIt doesn't hold up as well as you'd like. I mean, the HD textures make it rather pretty, but the game shows its age in the poor localization and sophomoric directing of the pacing in the story. Thank god for nostalgia, because I don't know if anything else would actually compel me to finish replaying this game with its vague directions, poor collision detection and still somewhat wonky camera.

Again, its really quite gorgeous to look at and the fights can be quite fun. But the story, the sluggish start and the collisions make for a rather frustrating game sometimes.
  4. Feb 23, 2014
    It is the classic we all learned to love, back with gorgeous HD graphics. The characters are just like we remember them and the story is as charming as ever. It is a shame the mechanics have not aged well... the camera is an ATROCITY and platforming is a nightmare to current standards. It is a long game, with a lot to do and explore. And if you have the patience to forgive the agedIt is the classic we all learned to love, back with gorgeous HD graphics. The characters are just like we remember them and the story is as charming as ever. It is a shame the mechanics have not aged well... the camera is an ATROCITY and platforming is a nightmare to current standards. It is a long game, with a lot to do and explore. And if you have the patience to forgive the aged mechanics you will discover (or re-discover) a great game that stole our hearts forever, back in the PS2 era. A must have for any collection, but they should have revamped the mechanics as well. Really, really outdated. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2015
    The HD repackaging is perfect, but only 1 of the 3 games delivers a PS3-level experience. And the main mechanic across the entire 50-60 hours, is to fight against hordes of enemies. Not the most constructive game for kids, or adults. There's just not much thinking involved.

Chain Of Memories is evidently a Gameboy Advance game at core, asking you to play 20 hours extra through the same KH1 sceneries with a limited cast and downscaled locations. You'll know what to expect 1 hour in and then just level-grind and try your luck on the random collectibles. It just goes on and on, as if there are no other games to play. The third 'game' is completely irrelevant, as it's just 3 hours of cutscenes.

Ultimately, I can't imagine the perfect audience for these games. They seem too convoluted, aged and unintuitive for kids, and too silly and straightforward for adults.

While Kingdom Hearts 1 deserves recognition as a fun and impressive mix of button-mashing action, Disney setting, and a classic epic Squaresoft JRPG, it's already dragged out at 30-40 hours. To really upgrade the game, they should have cut it to 15 intense hours. Not doubled the package with unnecessary extras.

6.4/10
  6. Sep 25, 2014
    a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game. a good game.
  7. Dec 7, 2013
    As much as I would LOVE to give this game a perfect 10, I can't, because I must be honest. The updates for the most are to the games benefit, the colors are brighter, improved interface, and a mostly fixed camera (make sure you turn off chase cam). However, due to the updated visuals, the static faces on the characters that appear when the camera isn't close up, stick out like sore thumbs.As much as I would LOVE to give this game a perfect 10, I can't, because I must be honest. The updates for the most are to the games benefit, the colors are brighter, improved interface, and a mostly fixed camera (make sure you turn off chase cam). However, due to the updated visuals, the static faces on the characters that appear when the camera isn't close up, stick out like sore thumbs. Most of the rest of the issues come from Re;Com and 358/2 Days. Re:Com has always been the black sheep of the franchise, and it is all the more clear here. The gameplay in it could have been slightly re-worked like the KH1, but they chose not too. 358/2 days however is the biggest offender. Making it a 3-hour movie is kind of a silly idea to begin with, but the fact that it is just SO BORING makes it extremely difficult to watch. All in all, I really appreciate the updates to KH1, but perhaps the other two games should have been left out. Expand
  8. May 23, 2015
    If I could find 10 collectors editions 3 months after its released that's pretty bad. However this collection was still pretty good.

Kingdom Hearts 1: still fun enough and is a much better adventure since the addition of new bosses, cut scenes, abilities, and weapons but what makes it better than the original is not the new content its the ability to skip cut scenes and the improvement of special abilities like ars arcrum. How ever there is nothing that special about this one and even though this is the brunt of my score.

Kingdom hearts Re Chain of memories: still a piece of crap

Kingdom hearts 358/2 days "The movie" big disappointment that this wasn't playable and the reason I didn't pre order the game. The cut scenes were a complete in justice to the story and pathetic.

even though this game was a let down I can't help but give it a 7
  9. Aug 15, 2015
    I love this game. The story behind it is one that you cannot help but get lost in as you travel through the various worlds. The criticisms I have are that personally I think the boss fights are too long and sometimes the actions are slightly delayed but nonetheless I haven't stopped playing it yet
  10. Jan 21, 2016
    An HD version of Kingdom Hearts final mix and Chain of Memories. If you don't know Final Mix is just Kingdom hearts with more optional bosses, items, and weapons. Where as Chain of Memories is a card battle type game. Would be way more worth it if 358/2 days got a remaster in stead of just the cut scenes, or if the clunky movement and camera controls were fixed. If your a fan you'llAn HD version of Kingdom Hearts final mix and Chain of Memories. If you don't know Final Mix is just Kingdom hearts with more optional bosses, items, and weapons. Where as Chain of Memories is a card battle type game. Would be way more worth it if 358/2 days got a remaster in stead of just the cut scenes, or if the clunky movement and camera controls were fixed. If your a fan you'll probably buy this but if not this game will not win you over. Expand
  11. Mar 26, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The following score above represents the value of the overall package, not the individual games themselves.

The ReMix is a little misleading since it is not your typical Hd collection or release. It provides some new content to the original Kingdom Hearts and a few new features. The I.5 is reflective of the package since there are really two games and the third involves only the cut scenes. With that said though it is a great return for veterans and an excellent start to the franchise for new fans.

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: 9/10
    The original Kingdom is by far the most balanced in the series. Its story is easy to grasp as Sora tries to find his friends across several Disney themed worlds. The combat involves the use of the key blade with a few spells that could be used to aid your fight against the heartless. It can be difficult at times but it has a balanced system (for the most part). It will require a lot of time and some bits of grinding to reach a high enough level in order to fight a certain boss. With that said, the bosses are the most memorable in the series which require different strategies to defeat them. Some will really test your patience such as the fight against Giant Ursula and the fight against Riku. The final mix also have optional bosses such as phantom and an optional fight agianst future antagonist Xemnas. One downside of the combat is that it only runs at 30 fps. A game in which you are surrounded by enemies could benefit from a higher framerate. With that said though, this game is still a great to be introduced to not only the Kingdom Hearts series but also the JRPG genre as a whole. If one can only play a singe game in the series I would recommend playing this one.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories: 6/10
    The sequel though will have more of niche fan base.The story itself is actually pretty compelling with Sora's first encounter with the devious Organization XIII. Along his journey he starts to loose his memories due to the magic of the which Namine who is speculated to be his love interest Kairi's nobody. He eventually starts to use his skills to gain his memories after the climatic battle with Marluxia. The other story involves Riku fighting the organization and fighting Ansem's influence. His story is intriguing as he accepts the darkness within him and decides to use it to help his friends. Where the game stumbles is the card placed game play. People wither love or despise this kind of combat system, I personal fall into the later category. The card based system involves drawing the right card to land an attack or to merely use an item. I greatly dislike this system because it seems that your success depends soely on sure luck as opposed to skill. It can get very frustrating when fighting a n enemy or a boss when I draw a card but the enemy just draws a card with a higher number at the last minute. Some will argue that gives more immersion with the card combat combined with real time but in my personal experience it causes frustration. I personally prefer if a game does one or the other.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Movie 6.9/10
    As mentioned before, the game play for this title has been removed in favor of giving a movie told through the remastered cut scenes and text boxes with still images in between these cut-scenes. The story resolves around Roxas who is Sora's nobody who was created after Sora got lost in the darkness during the events of the original Kingdom Hears for a brief time. He is in conflict with the other members of the organization as he tries to find his own heart and develops a deep friendship with two other nobodies named Xion and Axel. The story ultimately ends in tragedy as Xion disappears from memory and he looses his own after his fight with Riku. The story does keep you invested but it does move in a slow pace. I personally would not advise watching the entire film in one sitting though because the story moves in a slow pace in the same locations.

In conclusion although I believe that only one of the games in this collection is exceptional, this remix is still a good way to be introduced to the series and will bring new elements in for veterans who are not from Japan.
  12. Apr 8, 2016

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: 9/10

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories: 6/10

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Movie 6.9/10

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix will probably not convince non-fans of the series. It’s the same type of cozy Disney/Square-Enix mix as always but also with the same type of bad controls and unbalanced difficulty level as the original.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    The Kingdom Hearts series has aged and this just doesn't feel as much fun as it used to do. But if you're a fan, this is still worth checking out.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK