• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 30, 2007
6.4

1. Feb 2, 2012
    Lair is a good game, the only bad about this is playing this game by using the worst controller ever. ( but now you can use directional buttons thanks to the patch).
  2. Jul 28, 2012
    I want to start off by stating this review is based on the game with the patch controls. For me I enjoyed this game a lot. The action is insane, killer sound, a killer story, and the controls are great with the patch. I don
  3. Oct 7, 2010
    thankfully i did not get this game at its release . mainlly because it too short you can beat it in just 5 hours . i did wait and got it for 24.99 2 years ago but stll feel i paid to much for it . i think $15 or less is more its actaul price. the game graphically looks great the story is eh so so . the controls if you play with six axis are complete ass ... BUT there is a patch you canthankfully i did not get this game at its release . mainlly because it too short you can beat it in just 5 hours . i did wait and got it for 24.99 2 years ago but stll feel i paid to much for it . i think $15 or less is more its actaul price. the game graphically looks great the story is eh so so . the controls if you play with six axis are complete ass ... BUT there is a patch you can download in the PSN store for free that lets you use the anolog sticks instead of six axis which makes the controls much much better. this game feels kinda cool at times but just not near cool enough . Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2010
    64 negative reviews? Absurd, ridiculous, depressing, pathetic, and a bunch of other terms that describe the lazy slabs of redundant flesh bags wanking to Call of Duty, Halo, Hawx, or any other modern/sci-fi military game. I've played the game Twice and I can firmly say, as someone who was very skeptical about motion-based gaming, that the controls are not at the very least an issue. It64 negative reviews? Absurd, ridiculous, depressing, pathetic, and a bunch of other terms that describe the lazy slabs of redundant flesh bags wanking to Call of Duty, Halo, Hawx, or any other modern/sci-fi military game. I've played the game Twice and I can firmly say, as someone who was very skeptical about motion-based gaming, that the controls are not at the very least an issue. It took just the first mission to become accustomed with the controls and special gesture-based techniques and after that I was hooked. The controls take time to get used to. Nobody can play a motion game for the very first time and feel like they grew up with only this kind of game. Just sit down and spend a good 20 minutes in the training level. And have patience. It's not like Call of Duty, Halo, Rainbow Six or any other generic FPS. The story is pretty simple: honor, betrayal, enemies-to-allies, that sort of thing. The use of Mo Cap for the cutscenes helps make it a little more cinematic. The graphics may not look like much now (2010) but this is a launch title, Factor 5 (makers of Rogue Squadron series) had never worked with a next gen concole, or even the PS3 no less. After looking at the Making-of Videos in the game, it showed that they still had the PS3 Development Kits. This was being worked on before launch. WIth that in mind I would say the graphics are phenomenal for something this early on for the PS3. Besides name any other game besides Heavenly sword that has literally thousands of soldiers on the battlefield. An incredible feat. The Music. My god the music. I don't think I've heard a video game soundtrack this epic since Metal Gear Solid. John Debney did an amazing job composing for this game. The game features a "jukebox" mode that lets you listen to the individual music tracks at your leisure. So Now that the game costs significantly less (can't be no more than $10 now) WHen you think about buying it and don't like the gameplay just think that you payed for a glorious soundtrack instead, since $10 is pretty standard for music albums now. On a another note, for all the thumb-control addicts who fear motion controls like a vampire at his first sunrise, There is a DLC on the Playstation Network that not only gives players the option for analog controls but also adds two new dragon models that can be used at any level. Give it a chance. Expand
  5. Jan 14, 2015
    Game looked nice on covers but actually playing it revealed how bad it actually is. Whole thing looks and feels like it was made as tech demo when PS3 came out.
    I wonder if the developers were proud of their creation or did they knew how bad of a game this would be?
  6. Jan 13, 2012
    I absolutely LOVED this game and you don't have to use the sixsxis(which i do) but i don't know why there is so many negative reports about it. I played all the way through the game and keep replaying it and it seems like a lot of people would be against me but i think there should be a lair 2 with more dragons and stuff. EXCELLENT GAME 100,000,000,000/10 RATING!!!!!!
  7. May 14, 2015
  8. Mar 7, 2015
    Lair was my very first ps3 game and the first game I ever played with dedicated motion controls.
    I was very confused at first on the training level I did, but as I got the hang of it, I noticed that I shouldn't think of the controller as the dragon... I should think of it as the reins on the dragon. With that notion, The game became very intuitive and responsive as I had very few issues with the gestures, as I had beaten the game far before the update that irreversely changes gestures. As a launch game, I expected it to be rushed and somewhat incomplete. But for what the experience was, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It is by far the best -proper- dragon game. The production was pretty, the setting was believable, the stages expansive though managing objectives kept you on your toes while I'd like to explore the stage a little.
    The graphics floored me as my very first next-gen HD contact with fantastic dragons that looked and moved in a believable way, specially as I soared and laid waste to enemy platoons.
    My only real issue with the controls were due to my own recklessness. Making a sudden curve or u-turn to try and make a crazy maneuver without thinking it through as I'd end up in a close encounter with a wall, or mountain. Nothing that couldn't be cured by a full stop and redirection maneuver.
    I bought this game along with my ps3 in 2009. I was well aware of it's bad reviews and reputation. I still bought it and insisted on playing it first. That while I had Uncharted 1 and MGS4 sitting beside it. I loved every minute of it, though it was a short campaign even by Rogue Squadron standards (the game is basically Medieval Fantasy Rogue Squadron).
    But that got me to focus on getting better results and breaking my own records to unlock art and videos. And that opened the game's Pandora's Box. You'd see concept art filled with far more units, details and scenarios that didn't make into release. On-foot exploration of caves and fighting off enemies and creatures without riding the dragon. The concept art of the game shows the game's ambition and makes you imagine all of the possibility. And if only this game had had an extra year to properly develop those ideas. The online multiplayer craze hadn't kicked in by it's release and they could go Rebel Assault on Lair's sequel with coop campaign. Or all out dragon vs dragon, army vs army modes with objectives. Wow... What it could have been.
    I love this game. It's a gem I hold very close to my heart as one of my favorite PS3 games and one of the most injusticed games in the history of misfortune in gaming. I often put the game on again, play around and like to imagine how it could have been. What a single year would have meant for the game. And for the sequel that could have sprouted out of all those great concept art.

1. Lair has come together beautifully... With its stunning visuals and incredible soundtrack, Lair may well be the single most powerful experience that a man can share with his $5,000 home theatre system. [Aug 2007, p.64]
    I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will be warranted. [Sep 2007, p.79]
  3. Don't buy it if you want a dragon that does what it's told. [Sept 2007, p.82]