8.3

1. Nov 16, 2012
    I am dumbfounded as to why there are no reviews by any critics of this game as of today. I know there was an issue of a mislabeled demo disc on the Xbox 360...but still. My 10 year old loves the lego games, till now I have been a watching bystander. This game changed all that. This game hit's on all cylinders. I loved how the creators have managed to bring out the kid in me again. Granted I am a Lord of The Rings fan, so the that was the hook in me...but how they managed to make it feel like you were playing the film was truly magical. The first battle scene just hints at what this game will do...and once you enter Hobbiton...well the artistry and magic shines through. Yes it is simplistic in controls, but none-the-less, it is a game play that works..and works well. Sound lifted from the film cleverly pitted with site gags is the icing on the cake of this winning ps3 game. Congrats! Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2012
    Being a fan of the LEGO video game series and a fan of The Lord of the Rings films, I find this game to be amazing. It sticks to the story of the films while adding the humor and feel of a LEGO game. As with any LEGO game, the amount of playable characters are jaw-dropping. Many people complained about how LEGO games 'don't feel the same' with voice acting ever since LEGO DC: Super Heroes, but I personally believe that the voices helped the game more than hurt it. Without voicing it would have been extremely difficult for the developer's to portray the entire story and make it feel like the movies. Overall one of the best games I have played this year so far. I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2012
    Similar to past LEGO games, but the Lords trilogy is so massive that this game called for one of the more involved open worlds I've ever seen in the LEGO series. The dialogue is from the films, which is excellent. So many characters, and so much diversity. Easily one of the best LEGO games in my opinion!
  4. Dec 9, 2013
    Exceeds your expectations. The sheer amount of things to do, replayability, unlockable items/characters. I spent 2 hours just running around the village destroying objects to accrue lego money before moving onto missions (and doing the same thing) Its visually sumptuous. Voice work from the actual actors. Music/ambience from the movies.

I wasnt a big fan of the films but i want to
    rewatch them now. Lego Marvel Superheroes is just as good.

I'm 38 years old
  5. cpa
    Dec 17, 2012
    Have played all previous LEGO games and this is the best one yet. Unlike other game series, Tell Tales actually moves forward with each LEGO iteration. They've added fast travel (the map is the largest yet), side quests (all of the fetch variety), dual story lines and even crafting, though rudimentary in form. The fundamental formula is still there, requiring you to Free Play each mission to get all of the items and secrets. Voice overs and movie lines are well done. Some of the fights are tailored for co-op play, but not required, of course. Oh, and there's plenty of secrets, some not as simple as previous LEGO games have made them. Gameplay hours seem quite long. I've played about 12 hours and have gotten through about 35% of the game. Only issues I've had is two lockups that I couldn't replicate, so not a gamebreaker. Overall, the best LEGO game yet. Expand
  6. Jan 30, 2013
    THIS IS A GREAT GAME! There is so much to do AND the kids can play and connect with the whole Lord Of The Rings movie franchise. There is humour and puzzles. Fighting and over one and a half hours of video footage. It's like an interactive Readers Digest version of the three movies. After you have finished the game there is still so many loose ends to tie up. My children love it and I am happy with them playing it. Probably one of the best Lego games to date, and even one of the best games outright. So much work has gone in to this game. BUY IT! Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    I didn't expect much from a LEGO video game, but when I started playing it and saw the epic Middle-Earth map, I was amazed. The best thing in this game is, that it has popular LOTR memes in it. I recommend this game to every LOTRT fan.
  8. Dec 30, 2012
    An excelent game with very good graphics. The story is very similar to the movie and the stages are very good builded. A positive point is the lot of hours of the game to need to do 100%.
  9. Jan 2, 2013
    This is the first Lego game I have played and it was not to my disappointment, it follows the LOTR trilogy step by step missing out almost nothing relevant to the films.
    The graphics are fantastic and the sound quality is also very good. Humour has been added to the game as Tt Games target audience is for 7-12 year olds, in places this game is quite tricky as there are lots of different
    things each character can do so I would say that the game would be better suited for ages 12 and above. Overall this is a fantastic game and is worth a buy as there are lots of hours of game play to be able to complete this game and if you are a Lord of the rings fan you will see relevant the whole game is to the films and do and see the extra features created by Tt games Expand
  10. Jan 7, 2013
    No stranger to the LEGO series and a big LotR fan, I received precisely what I expected when firing up this game. I feel it represents the source material in Traveler's Tales' own unique way, including oddball and slapstick humor, interesting puzzle elements and a great blend of visual styles. The scaled-down world offers the tale in short-form, which seems to play a lot like a highlights reel more than a full game but I feel they have done a great job in making an epic story fit into their style. Those unfamiliar with LEGO video games may be put off by the need to replay the game a handful of times in order to unlock all the hidden items, but I didn't mind as it adds to the challenge to figure out which characters are needed for each piece. I'm on the fence about using the actual voices/dialog. I'm rather nostalgic for when LEGO characters just made strange little noises and had over-the-top reactions. On the other hand, something about seeing LEGO Gandalf fighting the Balrog and screaming "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" was just hilarious and cool at the same time. I'm not really sure this tale COULD be told in the old style.

I experienced a handful of technical glitches. One forced me to turn off the PS3 when the video locked up. Another had a character fall straight through the ground, through the landscape mesh and into a never ending chasm (I could access the map and teleport out). Some controls do not respond as you'd expect at times, which can (and did, in my experience) add to frustration.

All in all, if you like Lord of the Rings and LEGO games, this is a win. It has everything you've come to expect from the makers. If you're a fan of the films (but don't take it all too seriously) this is worth checking out.
  11. Apr 29, 2013
    A great game that really brings out the best moments of the LOTR movies, suitable for both adults and children. The open world between levels allows for much more content than most previous Lego games and the new side quests will encourage the player to explore the world. It took me around 10h to do the main story, 35h to complete everything. The traditional issues of the lego game engine are, sadly, still present in this one, bad screen tear, characters sometimes get stuck and the use of a single button for several actions can be frustrating. Graphics are more than suitable for a Lego game, although 1080p is not really necessary for a lego game, 720p would make performance more stable (less screen tear) and look more than adequate. I recommend it to all LOTR and Lego fans. Expand
  12. Aug 8, 2014
    Definitely my favorite LEGO game. Being the huge LotR fan I am, this is an obvious choice for me. The immense overworld gave the game an astonishing climate of Lord of the Rings. Plus a map, really helpful when exploring.

1. Mar 6, 2013
    In addition to the excellent musical score from Jackson’s trilogy playing while you smash stone as Gimli or conjure blocks as Gandalf, LEGO LOTR is the first of the LEGO games to use the voices and acting from the films.
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    LEGO Lord of the Rings is easily one of my favorite LEGO games. I’m not sure if it’s just the source material or the fact that the game is actually really fun and evolves the LEGO franchise in significant ways, but this is definitely worth playing for any fan of the previous LEGO games or Lord of the Rings films.
  3. Though the formula hasn't exactly been built from the green ground piece up, Telltale has gone above and beyond our expectations. Take, for example, the fact that Middle-earth is one gigantic, seamless hub world that can be be trodden across (or fast traveled through) from one end to the other. [January 2013, p64]