8.4

1. Nov 7, 2014
    I am The Destroyer. I will break games, complain about the littlest detail, and tell you whether or not the game is worth buying. A lot of things to say, but can't due to the 5000 character limit. In the interest of fairness, the review is based on without an import or DLC.

1. Story
    2 years have passed since Commander Shepard (character you play as) ended Sovereign's invasion along
    with the threat of the Geth. But the war with the reapers has just begun.
    In the beginning, the Normandy get's attacked & destroyed, with Commander Shepard sacrificing themselves in process in order to save his/her crew. Their body is then recovered by an underground terrorist organization known as Cerberus, where they eject billions of credits in order to bring Shepard back from the dead. A new enemy known as the Collectors has revealed itself overtime, and Cerberus tasks the newly born Shepard to bring them down before they wipe humanity from existence. But will Shepard be able to gain trust from his/her squadmates, and successfully adapt to the new atmosphere that surrounds them?

2. Voice Acting
    This is what we need for voice acting! This is perfect! I have never heard such a beautiful cast in like ever! When the actors & actresses speak, you're believing it, and it brings tears to your eyes because you never thought this would ever be possible.

3. Graphics and Visuals
    Sometimes the frame rates go a little slow; and when that happens, you begin to notice a little bit of fuzzyness of pixels. But when it doesn't happen, it is astounding! Galaxy maps are detailed to the core with colourful design. Areas you explore during combat are never bland or boring to look at. The sci-fi textures are pushed to it's limit. If this art doesn't impress you, nothing will!

4. Gameplay
    Gameplay refers to it's battle system, customization & level up, and the galaxy map exploration. Put it all together and it's Awesome.

-Battle System-
    There are plenty of areas to take cover at all times. Every weapon in this game is deadly enough or usable in some way. Boss enemies are balanced, provide a challenge, and get introduced to you at the best possible timing. The game is very balanced. Of course it can be annoying when all your powers are on charge and you have a krogan coming after you at close range, but this still adds to the experience. As you play on, you'll have to develop strategies and come up with tactics just to get through areas.

-Customization-
    You get plenty of variety in this game, form the class you choose to play as, the character's appearance, even their armor will change visually. The weapon variety however will feel limited, but it's all due to balancing. When you finally acquire them, the game gives you plenty of squadmates. Customization will not feel dead here.

-Galaxy Exploration-
    Exploring the galaxy is only fun on your first playthrough, and it can't be explained why in this review due to spoilers. From 2nd playthrough and beyond, it will be boring, fortunately not boring enough to deduct from the experience.

5. Soundtrack
    And yet, another amazing thing done with this game. Though it does kind of feel empty having no music when walking around most of your ship. The mood music for cut-scenes was chosen excellently, and more-so after you finish a mission you'll really feel like you've accomplished something.

6. Bugs
    Even the most perfect of games seems to be hit in the PS3 era, and there's one bug that is the most evil of them all: corrupted saves. It's happened to me, and it's happened to many other players. And then there's these bugs...
    - The galaxy map will play itself twice if you exit to the Normandy and re-enter the map quickly.
    - Storyline cut-scenes do not proceed sometimes, forcing you to reload a save.
    - Sometimes loading screens will take 3 times longer than they should.

7. Personal Enjoyment
    I have done so many playthroughs by now that I've lost count. This game packs an experience that you will never feel anywhere else.

8. Overall Verdict
    The only thing that's holding this back from a perfect rating is the corrupted saves. Even the other bugs aren't that bad because of the amount of auto saves given, and because crashes don't happen often. Mass Effect 2 earns it's high rating, and I am going to issue this a 9 out of 10! This game deserved to be Saved instead of destroyed. Nice one, Bioware! Keep up the good work!
  2. Nov 5, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 might just be my biggest gaming surprised of all time. After just a few hours into the original Mass Effect I stopped playing because of it's crumby combat system and it's truly lame planetary exploration sequences. I never expected to play any of the games sequels, but after reading so many positive reviews for ME2 I decided to give ME2 a try - and boy am I ever glad that I did! The combat was refined and made ridiculously awesome, the annoying planetary exploration was removed, the graphics are top notch, the sound design was incredible, and the story was among the best I've experienced in a video game to date. All around ME2 is a winner and all gamers MUST check it out! Expand
  3. Oct 12, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. It improves upon its predecessor with better gameplay, and a more interesting narrative. Its world can feel linear, and interestingly enough the side content is far more compelling than the main narrative, but this is one of the best Western RPGs in existence.
  4. TvH
    Sep 28, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic video game, that has a powerful story, excellent and fleshed-out characters, and a very balanced RPG/Shooter gameplay to top it all off.
  5. Aug 15, 2014
    Mass Effect 3 could have been the best of the series, but unfortunately, I have to give it to ME2. That is NOT to say that ME3 is bad; it is a MUST play, and its ending is quite great, once you have the Extended Cut. But the reason why I say ME2 is better is because it's give you more freedom in speaking, which is one of the things which made the series spectacular in the first place. In ME3, while you you still make the major decisions, I feel like I've lost too much freedom in deciding what Shepard says. Combat mechanics, however, are better in ME3. But in any case, get this game. Get ALL of the Mass Effect games. Expand
  6. Jul 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first one left off- in most aspects it succeeds and in some it falls a little bit flat. The galaxy and the characters feel more alive than they ever did. This is on one hand due to the beautiful designs and on the other the many missions that bring life to an already established galaxy, flesh out the different cultures and bring the relationship with the crew-members to the next level. And although there are 10 (12 with DLCs) core crew-members this time around one cares for every one them as they all get their own personal missions.
    While the scope of the story from Mass Effect 1 was much bigger and apocalyptic, the story here is no let-down at all. This can be immediately felt during the first 2 minutes of the game. It's much more personal and character driven as Shepard finds himself allied with an old enemy, Cerberus, and has to make moral decisions which eventually result in different endings. And while talking about choice one cannot skip over the fact that the decisions from Mass Effect 1 can be imported or rewritten through a short Comic at the beginning of the game.
    Bringing back things from ME1 is what makes this game more than "just" a sequel. Many places and situations from the predecessor are revisited and can be experienced from a different perspective this time around. The characters all make sense in this setting and although the story is about as sci-fi as it can get the characters are relate-able and the conversations feel appropriate and sometimes even smart. All that shows that a lot of care was put into the development of this game.
    Also improved or emphasized was the humor in the game as there is more than one situation that made me at least smile.
    The game also introduces the "Interrupt"-system which changes the flow of the conversation which gives the player an additional layer of immersion. It is not only a nice gimmick which breaks up the gameplay but both given options (either Paragon or Renegade) always feel more than satisfying.
    The fighting was improved as well- it feels much faster and more brutal. Skills feel different and powerful after leveling up. Taking cover is key as Commander Shepard is no superhuman and will die after taking some hits. Although the change from overheating to changing heat sinks was a little bit off. If they needed to implement something like Ammo, I would have used it to strengthen the difference between alien and human technology.
    Also mini-games are present in form of hacking which is always a fun way to mix things up.
    After all the praising I have to talk about the negatives as well:
    The RPG elements are stripped away to the absolute minimum. Each character has only 5 to 6 powers to choose from. Weapons are of course present and the player can choose from a set of different guns: sniper rifle, assault rifle, Shotgun, pistol and new additions in form of the SMG and HW. The player can collect armor pieces but there is almost no freedom in modifying them. The crew-members receive an alternate look at one point in game but it feels ultimately disappointing after all the options that were given in ME1. Upgrades are present but the game lacks in making changes visible which makes it ultimately forgettable.
    Furthermore, shops are now selling "designs". This means one has to buy the designs, fly through the galaxy search the needed resources and use them to built the weapon. This seems just as a forced way to make mining essential for completion, which it should never be. Resources can't be sold to shops, which more than once resulted in the situation that I had a huge amount of resources but no money.
    Mining is now done by scanning the surfaces of planets and sending down a probe which collects the scanned resources. This is of course an improvement over the Mako's campy controls but it still feels like a cheap way of prolonging the gameplay.
    Although the game gives us choice on how to resolve a conflict (Paragon or Renegade), I often switched and went the middle way. But instead of spending leveling points on Persuasion-skills because I CHOSE to have more options during discussions, I had to have a high enough rating on either Paragon or Renegade to have the chance to resolve a situation in a favorable manner. This takes away choice, which is one of the core-gameplay-elements.
    Another point is that the game is pushing more towards hypocrisy than anything else: While Paragon-Shepard always stops his crew-members from killing, he is always going into a mission guns-blazing. It would have been interesting to be able to finish missions in more than one way like neutralizing enemies using neurotoxin rather than killing all of them.
    Finally, there are so many DLCs which cost as much as the game itself. That would usually be no problem but they seem like they were taken out of the game in an afterthought as means of quick-cash-ins.
    Overall, no one can deny that this is a fantastic game to spend hours and hours with
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished Mass Effect 2 last week.
    So far, this is the best Mass Effect series i have ever played (Still haven't touched Mass Effect 3 though).
    So the story begins weeks after Shepard killed Saren & destroy the Sovereign. But the Galaxy are still in constant threat of the Reapers. One day, the Normandy was out on a mission when "The Collector" arrives and destroy the Normandy, killing
    most of the crews, including Shepard. Cerberus, an underground mercernary organization, is trying to revive shepard. And after 2 years, they succeed in bringing Shepard back, for two reasons, To destroy the collectors and to protect humanity. Can Shepard saves the galaxy..again? What is Cerberus? Who is the Collector and what are their ties to the Reapers? Play and find it out yourself.

Plus point:
    - Better graphic than the first one! ME2 totally got an upgrade in that part. The characters are more detail, and also now we got a collection of Weapon & Armor which is just too awesome.
    - No more exploring with the tank! Well, finally Bioware decided to change their exploration system. No more tank in an unknown planet. Although of course they are still annoying scanning and sending probe system. But that will prove useful when you got Mordin, the one who will do research on your weapon, armor, and Normandy.
    - Lots of characters to choose. We got quite a line up here! And everyone has their own unique skills (When you finished their loyalty mission). Which makes them different one to another). Also we got to see some reccuring characters like GARRUS! (still with his cool scouter!)
    - Subquests are more fun. Secondy quests are fun! I mean there are stories to all of it, no matter how simple it is. From finding items to stopping a ship from an explosion, every mission counts.
    - Choices DOES make a difference. I mean finally, we got a lot of choices to decide whether someone lives or dies. And also, the new Paragon/Renegade actions (with L2 & R2 buttons), making the game more interesting.
    - Epic Story! It was really cool, they "killed" shepard and then "revived" him. Making a brand new chapter in his life, with some old members. Also, the choices you make on ME1, DOES have an effect on this game.
    Also the story about the collectors, the protheans, and the reapers, ARE interesting. I'm not much of a fan of sci-fi, but Mass Effect is too damn awesome. Can't wait to play the 3rd one.

Minus Point:
    - Crappy final boss. It was either i was overlevel or the boss is just too easy. It didn't took more than 5 minutes to beat the final boss, so that was kind of disappointing to me. Although, that was in the normal difficulty, i wonder how it'll be on the insane difficulty.
    - A new battle system. I mean at the first game, you got unlimited ammo. You only need to keep your weapon from overheating. But not now, you got limited ammo! So it IS possible that you ran out of ammo when fighting hordes of enemies. But you'll get used to it as time goes by. But at the beginning it'll be quite annoying.

The Verdict:
    Mass Effect 2 is FAR better than the first game. It's full of actions, better graphics, great lines of characters, and more than that GREAT story. To tell the truth, i was pessimistic about the series. But right now, i can say that this game is AWESOME. It barely has any weak points, other than the easy last boss & adapting to the new battle system, but other than that everything is just great. 9/10 from me. A must play if you have a PS3.
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    EA ruined this game. This is the bridge game of an RPG trilogy without the RPG in it. The leveling is trash, the loot is non-existent & the combat makes the game feel like Gears Effect. The loyalty missions & ending are cool, but the rest of the game falls short. A very, very overrated game.
  9. Jun 8, 2014
    I was very underwhelmed with this game, amid all the critically acclained reviews from gaming websites, this game just didn't suck me in. I put in a good 2-4 hours playing this game, but the gameplay was just generic, and the open world and the sci-fi atmosphere just wasn't my thing..it reminded me of star trek (the atmosphere anyways)..and that show was boring as heck to me. Maybe it was because I didn't play the original mass effect, but the characters, story, setting, gameplay just didn't get me excited to keep playing. Expand
  10. May 15, 2014
    An emotionally gripping and beautiful game wherein your decisions "effect" the rest of the game's story. Make sure to get the PS3 version because it has extra levels.
  11. May 11, 2014
    My first Mass Effect game, and I can't say I was disappointed.
    From the great opening sequence to the hold-your-breath end battle, Mass Effect 2 is a stellar experience that everyone calling themselves a gamer needs to experience.
    This game has changed my outlook on life, possibly my inner soul. It's that good. Not many games can have you genuinely attached to the characters, planets and
    cities. It feels so real that you could almost live in it. Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2014
    Incredible game with beautiful graphics, a few interesting characters, deep storyline, and a great RPG elements and combat system but it also has its flaws. One of the few small problems is that it feels like more of a first person shooter than a RPG like what was ME1. Some of the squadmates and LI's are not nearly good as the original Mass Effect squad but you find a few quality gems here and there. Theres also not a lot of emphasis on character development unless you're romancing a certain character which didn't really work out for me because I usually stay faithful to Ashley from ME1, the equipment management is terrible and too simple, and there was too many side quests. I also wish the Collector Base mission could have been a bit longer and more difficult, also the human-proto reaper was downright underwhelming to me at least Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    I'm playing the Mass Effect series quite a long time after release, but I've just completed the trilogy.

ME 2 is a great follow on to ME 1, but has a darker feel to itt. The story is good. You build your team and care about them. The mechanics are good. The follow through from one game to the next (you import your character to the next game) is good. The Sound, music and voice acting is
    good. The graphics get noticeably better from one game to the next. In ME 2 the locations may feel a bit smaller than ME1, but that fits the tone of the sequel.

ME is right up there with Skyrim as an epic RPG.
  14. Feb 28, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 is one of those games that tries to do too much and thus is not really great at anything. The combat is mediocre, the exploration gets stale after a while, and the story really isn't anything special. The characters and dialogue are the best part of the game, but it's a small portion and isn't enough to save it. Not a bad game by any means, but not "best shooter RPG of all time" as many people claims it is, either. Expand
  15. Feb 22, 2014
    Grittier but also much more polished than the first game. Less Citadel, more messy locations. Sadly also a less intriguing story, which is a big deal in this type of game. It builds up for most of the game, and then the climax is sort of not really a climax. I'd read praise of the climax, but it was predictable and went by too fast. The themes taken up by the game are run-of-the-mill RPG stuff. Racism, free trade, guilt, a hero out to save the world. There's nothing refreshing about the game, and the shooting sections mimic those of the first game. I'd like to play Mass Effect 3, but I don't expect anything special of it anymore. I had very high hopes for this game, expecting it to blow my mind and touch heartstrings, but it was another blockbuster entertainer. Some meat to it but not much. For a less dumbed down action RPG, try Knights Of The Old Republic, although it is not an outstanding game either. Best parts: Scenery and characters. Worst parts: Action sequences. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2014
    ME2 continues the story from ME1 with improved graphics, better mechanics, and a higher degree of complexity. This is the greatest game of the series in my opinion. Recommend the series for anyone that is a fan of Sci-Fi and vast, intriguing gaming experiences.
  17. Dec 7, 2013
    My personal best game ever.

Since the beginning to the end this game is a masterpiece, the characters, the plot, the world, the desicions are precise gears in this excelent excelent game.

By the way, the game's cover doesn't make justice to itself.
  18. Nov 20, 2013
    This is a great game due largely to the story surrounding it, but there is a few things that people getting this game to reflect on when playing this game in the years to come. The gun-play can get repetitive and with a very lengthy game it can feel like ages. If you want a good start you'll have to get the Mass Effect trilogy to get a good beginning where the galaxy doesn't see you as a blight. Overall one of my favorites! Expand
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    This is The best game i have played in ages i can play ME2 from start to finish in a single session because it is such a good game. it has likable characters great voice acting great shooting mechanics. Mass effect 2 is the best one of the series because the story is good from start to finish unlike mass effect 3 with its terrible ending. But i cant rate this game a 10 even though it is my favorite game of all time because it has quite a few glitches especially on the ps3 where the game will freeze and tons of frame rate drops and lengthy loading time can kind of drop you out of the game and cause you to have to restart it which can be annoying. other than that it is a tremendous game and i recommend getting the 3 disk trilogy so you can have an imported save all the way through every mass effect. Expand
  20. Jun 13, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 or just plain Mass Appeal?!

Mass Disappointment more like... RPG elements reduced, half-baked character concepts (Kasumi, Thane), replacing atmospheric planetry exploration with a mineral scanner, poorly designed interface, being interrupted by compulsory story missions, smaller maps and increased linearity that carries you from one yawning modern warfare spectacle to the
    next, god-awful and uncustomisable upgrade system, no weapon purchases, confusing paragon and renegade points, scrapping vehicle sections completely before inserting that horrific ship control in the Overlord mission, underwhelming finale, killing off my favourite character in the suicide mission without discussion or reason, unenjoyable side quests and assignments which offer no individuality when all you receive is 125 experience points, problematic central story that merely serves as filler for a cash-grabbing sequel, a combat system that only rewards you if your wall humping, putting in the archaic ammo clips instead of the unique over heating....So yeah?! Need I go on?

How is this an evolution from the first one? It's certainly not as good...
  21. Jun 4, 2013
    By far the best Mass Effect game out of the trilogy. Only dilemma I had at the beginning is that I struggled to import my ME1 character, so certain decisions I made in 1 was not carried over to 2. But at the end of the day, that did not take away from what was a truely amazing experience. The concept and gameplay made it an absolute delight. Definately a game that should be played at least 3 times to experience all the excellent narrative and appreciate the time that was put into this award winning game. Expand
  22. May 5, 2013
    This is as good as western RPGs get today. Unlike Mass Effect 1, the sequel has a bigger emphasis on gameplay: new powers, different skill trees, and more weapons. However, many aspects of the original Mass Effect were taken away. There are loading screens now, no more planet exploration, and there's almost no weapon and armor customization.

It still is an amazing game in a different
    way. Easy to learn and comes with a bunch of DLC included on the PS3 version. Definitely my favorite franchise of the past years. Expand
  23. Mar 15, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game in the Mass Effect Trilogy, It introduces tons of great characters and has some great third person shooter gameplay, It's a shame that it loses some of it's RPG elements but the choices you make and the world that you experience in Mass Effect 2 is just amazing, the PS3 version comes with extra DLC on the disc which would have to be bought separately on Xbox 360 and PC so the PS3 version is the best to get in terms of what you get from your purchase, It will last you about 20-40 hours depending how fast you play and what side content you do, This is an easy recommendation for any gamer. Expand
  24. Mar 11, 2013
    This is definitely a great video game. It offers the player a remarkable sense of galactic exploration, which I think is, together with the fully detailed scenarios and arts, its strongest points. The interpersonal relationships are somehow reasonably well developed, with quality voice actors and credible characters summing up for excellent and numerous dialogues throughout the title. Even as a shooter, during the frequent action passages, shows enough charisma not to distract the player too much from the real pleasure: to explore all these amazing unknown planets, forbidden ships and cosmopolitan space stations. Expand
  25. Feb 11, 2013
    I wasn't sure while I was playing it, but after beating it, I can say this: Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. It has to be. Once it was over, I found myself in awe of what I had completed. The characters I had met and the characters I had watched die the places I had gone, and the story I had been told... it all left me with a sense of longing. I wanted to be in this world. I believe that is an indicator of what Mass Effect really is: a fantastic science fiction story. It is a complete experience that can't be properly enjoyed but "trying it out". It must be played in its entirety. And, like the best sci-fi stories, I'm excited for the future of this series, beyond Mass Effect 3. Expand
  26. Feb 11, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Not only is the concept of the game really awesome, but the execution is top-notch too. The combat is great, the classes and powers are great, the levelling up system is great, the story is great with a particularly good ending, and the general gameplay and controls are also pretty good. The character development is fantastic as well. It also has great replay value. The only place where I could fault it is the HUD/menus/interface, which are kind of annoying to look at/navigate through and difficult to read sometimes... definitely could use some improvement. But that is way too minor a matter to detract a point off. In short, enjoyable and original game with cool gameplay and an excellent story. Would definitely recommend. Expand
  27. Jan 22, 2013
    The gameplay it´s so slow and frustrating in the shooter section, i enjoyed a lot the storytelling more than gameplay, but i must say maybe commander shepard is the most memorable character from the western RPGs.
  28. Jan 9, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is the single greatest videogame of all time. No other videogame has come close to topping this massively engaging entertainment experience. Playing this game is like getting your first car, losing your virginity, masturbating, skydiving, fishing, and being in love. A love for exploring distant uncharted planets. Love of shooting hostile aliens in the face at point blank range. The love of interacting with different characters from various alien species. Love of helping the helpless, sacrificing the innocent, or decieving friends for your own personal gain. The love of romancing a crewmate who is willing to follow you to hell and back. Mass Effect 2 is not only a game that you play but also an experience that you live. Every single aspect about this game is pure perfection. The tactical combat, the emotionally charged soundtrack, the art design, animations, environments, guns, audio, voice acting, and the most important of them all the story. The story of Mass Effect 2 is what you make it out to be. It's your character, your ship, and your decision. How you choose to play through this game is entirely up to you. Mass Effect 2 plays with your emotions making you feel the weight of your decisions, making you laugh at a characters dialogue, cry for a fallen crewmember, or scream for the blood of an enemy. That's the beauty of this game it makes you feel. Mass Effect 2 is the greatest videogame experience i've ever had and the greatest there will ever be. I would give Mass Effect 2 100 out of 10 but it might break the scale. Expand
  29. Nov 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. This is so Amazing. I Love the game's Story, Characters, Cinematic Cutscenes and Everything. Iv'e Beaten this game 2 times and i Still Enjoyed. Having 12 Squad Members and also Great Weapons (Such as Assault Rifles and Heavy Weapons). My Character Level was 30 and My Class was Soldier. If you wanna Buy this, This is the only game where you can make decisions to import them on mass effect 3. Collapse
  30. Oct 14, 2012
    Mass effect is not only a game is much more than that. It's a culture much like Star Wars or Star Trek. One looks at Shepard and we can help to see the charisma much like Luke Skywalker or James T. Kirk. So with that in the game's favour it could only be one of the best action/rpg ever made.
  31. Sep 22, 2012
    The game bugs A LOT! And by a lot I really mean it. It bugs so much that sometimes you can't even understand what is going on! Despite that it is a good game with a compeling story.
  32. Aug 21, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is the greatest entertainment experience i have seen so far. There are films out there with more epic storylines, but none of them can come close to the level of immersion that this game provides. The setting, characters and storyline all combine to carry you off on a great adventure. The gameplay mechanics also impress but the story is the main point of the game. The only fault i find with the gameplay is that the shooting feels less fluid and instinctive than the best cover shooters available, with an irritating need to take cover behind scenery before you can leap over it, and the weakness of the melee combat. There are upgradeable powers in the game, and you will need them as the standard melee attack is useless. The graphics of the game are near flawless, except in some of the DLC where the textures were very poor and my character repeatedly disappeared through walls. Overall this is an engaging, good-looking, challenging game, with a great deal of side quests and a play time of roughly thirty hours. However if your looking for a game that is driven more by gameplay than story you may be less forgiving of the flaws with the combat system. Expand
  33. Aug 1, 2012
    This is really the first game that I've had that has really pulled me in. Some people compare it to a movie, but I compare it to any long running TV show where you really get to know and identify with the characters. Anyone who says this is worse that Mass Effect 1 is delusional. This game is so much better organized and visually appealing. The first game was kind of a mess. It was good, but a mess. This is streamlined, but you don't lose anything from the streamlining. The writing for this game is great. The graphics aren't amazing, but they present the game well. The length of the game varies greatly. The top end is probably between 40-50 hours. The lower end: 20-30 hours. More games are going to the silent protagonist, which I believe is easier to write for. But, this game allows you to truly make your speaking protagonist in any way you want. Expand
  34. Jul 16, 2012
    OK, I am Kazakstan gamer, I love Sci-Fi, and Mass Effect 2 is the same for me as Doctor Who. This Masterpiece of an experience has 10 on athmosphere, 10 on Gameplay, 9 on graphics, 11 on story. Most usually my reviews are longer, but words are not needed. I have just completed this Masterpiece, And I am listening to epic credits music (Music is 10 by the way)
  35. Jul 4, 2012
    The fully realized sci-fi world is impressive, but the gameplay is pretty dull and repetitive. After the first few missions, the games starts to feel boring and monotonous. There's not really any strategy required in the missions (just attack the bad guys with powers and then shoot them with guns while you wait for your powers to recharge - that's about all you do in this game). there's nothing to really keep your mind occupied, and there's nothing really fun about this game. Repetitively shooting enemies in every missions isn't enough to keep me engaged. Games like GTA and Read Dead are jam-packed with fun things to do and places to explore, but Mass Effect only has generic, repetitive shooting. I suppose the appeal of a game like this comes from getting immersed in the back story of all the various characters and alien races...but the appeal of that only lasts so long when the actual missions/gameplay are just so generic and uninteresting. It was clear the makers of this game were focused on the story lines, and the gameplay itself was an afterthought (but creating interesting and challenging gameplay should be the first priority of any game developer...story is a nice bonus, but it's not enough to carry a game). Expand
  36. Jun 30, 2012
    After hearing about me3 and all the hype it was getting, I decided to try out the series myself. As a ps3 owner I couldn't play me1 so I went ahead and bought me2... the best decision I ever made. The back story comic gave me a clear description of what happened in me1 and the choices give the game HUGE replay value. The game play is average to good, but that's not what makes this game, the story, writing, characters, and pure epicness of the game makes it what it is. The end is hands down the best ending I have ever had the pleasure to experience. I can almost find no flaws with this game. easy 10/10 Expand
  37. Jun 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a great game that introduces some interesting characters, innovates and is an experience that cannot be missed. The Mass Effect games have been phenomenal, and this game is no exception. The game focuses on your squad and and their stories with a over arching plot The game is superb and demands a 9/10 I recommend you buy it with a clear conscious.
  38. May 28, 2012
    Very rarely does a game make you so interested in the characters and the universe that you have to talk to every crew member after every mission and almost every character you see just to listen to their excellent personalities, Mass effect 2 makes you care about the characters, even hate some maybe which just adds real depth to the game itself. There are so many decisions and choices and different ways to play through the game that each experience can be different, What you do in Mass effect 2 can largely effect who lives or dies in the final mission. The added plot lines and decisions make Mass effect 2 the perfect set-up for the conclusion of the series and a great game in itself. Expand
  39. May 25, 2012
    Tremendous main story coupled with strong enough RPG and combat elements.

Severely let down by excruciatingly long "recruit your crew" filler sub-plots.
  40. Apr 19, 2012
    I arrived a little late at the Mass Effect party; when I first started playing the first game the second had already been released for some time. When I moved on for Mass Effect 2, it was natural for me to get it on the PS3 since it had all DLC to date included on the disc. I expected great things from it, and was pleasantly unsurprised; Mass Effect 2 is a great game. The story is serious and very well written; even if now and then you have the feeling it is more a bridge between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 than a story by its own. Both the old and new characters are interesting, and it is always fun to see how their different personalities interact. Combat (shooting) was greatly improved from the last game, and the character evolution mechanic was simplified. This makes Mass Effect 2 much more dynamic than the original, and speeds up the action to frenetic levels. The moral choices are deeper than ever, and everything you say may or may not have severe consequences later; and not knowing is great. The Mass Effect Genesis interactive comic allowed me to choose many things I had done in the original's PC version, but still lacked many important moral choices. DLC is pretty weak, and I assume I would not have been happy had I bought it separately. Expand
  41. Apr 18, 2012
    Not a good RPG, not a good TPS either. As a RPG this game is very weak, the character customization is horrible, you can try as long as you want, you'll not be able to make a decent looking male character. as for the female character, there aren't many hairstyles so no mather how many femsheps you make, they'll pretty much look the same. Your dialogue options makes no big difference, it doesn't mather if you're a good guy or a d-bag, the storyline would be the same if Shepard were a silent character like Link.
    As TPS it's also very weak. You can't even compare with other TPS such as Uncharted or Gears of War. It's basically the same thing in every mission: cover in some conventionally placed box, shoot, shoot, shoot, cover again, use some random power, cover, shoot, shoot.
    One of the biggest deceptions I ever had with a videogame, I didn't even wanted to get the platinum even though it's seems easy.
  42. Apr 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 is absolutely brilliant. I picked this game up around 2 months ago and didn't really start playing it until about 2 weeks ago. From the moment I picked it up I was hooked. I kept telling myself to stop playing and just go to bed, but I couldn't It was just so damn addictive. Mass Effect 2 tells the story of Commander Shepard (who can be male or female and can be fully customized) leading a suicide mission against a supposedly mythical alien race known as the Collectors. It was discovered that Collectors were abducting humans from their space colonies and taking them off to their home world to do god knows what. Commander Shepard is tasked with building up a super-squad of some of the best soldiers, assassins, engineers and biotics and scientists in the galaxy. It's a fantastic story with absolutely amazing characters. The amazing thing about the Mass Effect series is that every single choice you make matters. I was sad when I lost my favourite character in the end, but then I realised that if I'd upgraded my ship at all I wouldn't have had my ship partially destroyed, and all of my crew taken away from me. I also lost some other characters due to the fact that I accidentally stuffed up their loyalty missions, causing them to lose focus on the mission in the end. It sucked, but I was still absolutely amazed at how well Bioware pulled off this "every choice you make matters" style. If you ask me the story and RPG elements are what make this game shine, the gameplay not so much. The controls can be clunky at times with fairly stiff movement, and having to deal with enemies up close is an absolute pain. Husks are incredibly easy enemies and yet if I was surrounded by 1 or 2 of them I'd still usually die thanks to the piss-poor melee system. That as well as graphical glitches, laggy sound in cuts-scenes and tedious load screens just to go to places one floor above you are some of the down points of the game. However the good certainly outweighs the bad. Oh and a little treat, when probing planets for minerals go to the local cluster and probe Uranus. Be prepared to laugh at what EDI (the Normandy SR2's AI) says. Overall this game is a 9.8/10. Expand
  43. Apr 7, 2012
    This is the second part of the best trilogy of all time, and it doesn't dissapoint at all.
    Great Characters, great story, wow.
    Just a masterpiece of gaming.
  44. Apr 6, 2012
    The game is great and I really enjoyed playing it. The story is outstanding and the gameplay is fun making it one of my favourite games ever. The PS3 version also contains most of the DLC and a comic to get to know the story behind the original game since it was never released for the PS3.
  45. Apr 5, 2012
    Overrated game. A poor 3rd-person shooter with some poor RPG elements. Movement and combat feels awkward, but the soundtrack, graphics, conversations and voice acting are great. High production value but poor combat and not an RPG for those who like the oldschool stuff.
  46. Apr 4, 2012
    mass effect 2 is a great game with a amazing story and design. You while the story can be repetive when it delivers you will not care cause this game is amazing. gameplay ripped out of gears of war but manages to still make it feel fresh good for begginers to the series too u wont want to miss this
  47. Apr 1, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic sci-fi third person shooter / RPG hybrid. It has an interesting plot filled with tons of dialogue trees and branching options. The graphics are beautiful and some of the vistas that the game throws up are truly breathtaking. The cover / shooter mechanics aren't perfect, but they work well enough to carry the action sequences. The combat is made more fun by the tactical element of using both your own and your squad-mate's biotic powers. Pulling up the skill menu every two seconds while in the middle of a raging battle can be a bit jarring at first, but it ultimately becomes second nature and reminds you that you are actually playing something a breed apart from other shooters. Despite suddenly ending just when it seems that the real adventure is about to begin, ME2 is a wonderful game that is a must for any science fiction fan. Expand
  48. Mar 31, 2012
    One of the better games ever made- not as good as the first ME, but still fantastic. Great job on story and making the series look absolutely epic. Side quests were very well done, and the combat is smooth and works well.
  49. Mar 19, 2012
    Unique third person Shooter-Style Game. The Game Story is fascinating, the characters are charismatic, Unlike most recent games, from the Hardcore mode on the game gets really hard (REAL PLAYERS NEED REAL CHALLENGES). The decision-making thing makes you feel that you ARE the commander, not just the player. Online mode is fun. There could be more Side Missions (I finished the game too fast... Wanted to play more missions.) Expand
  50. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect is one of the best sci fi dramas around, and I don't just mean in gaming. This game gets so many things right, the shooting has a great feel to it despite the occasional glitch with the cover system and you get a satisfying level of customisation to your character, it may not be as in depth as over RPGs but it's still good. However the real reason people play Mass Effect is for its story and characters which are nailed brilliantly. You get so much time to bond with the characters which makes their fate being determined upon your choices in the amazing end game all the more powerful. The story itself is very engaging, I don't want to spoil anything but just know that it'll make you want to get to the end of the game and find out the answers to your questions desperately. Overall, this game is amazing, its epic, emotional, fun, action packed and immersive so don't miss out on it! Expand
  51. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. EA has created something they haven't had in recent years, a game that shows how polished it can really be, an epic that memorizes you until the final battle. Characters you fall in love with and role you play that you can relive countless times that can always have different outcomes. This game already had a 9 at the get-go when I saw Tali was back and can be romanced. This game earned a 10 when the story had me locked on the screen, screaming and cheering on and the symphony of music counted on. This is what you call a masterpiece in all it's glory. And I'm so pleased this has come to my console of preference, the PS3. If you're still debating on getting this when it's new for only 20 bucks, there is no more hesitating, this game is worth every penny . Expand
  52. Mar 12, 2012
    Amazing game with excellent replay value. Have completed over 10 play throughs and still love it. Even after completing ME3 (which sucked balls) I still love it. The characters and the story are awesome, you genuinely care about your crew and the mission. 10 for being so engaging and enjoyable at the same time.
  53. Mar 8, 2012
    What can we say....? Game of the year.... Incredible game with amazing and deep story. Finished it 4 times and every time was better. I am looking forward for me3.
  54. Feb 29, 2012
    Several glitched firefights and blemished cutscenes that are absolutely dwarfed by the game's profound lore, vivid colors, characters backed by excellent voice overs, and a veritable emphasis on ramifying decisions. Perhaps the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack would have fared as a tighter glove than Jack Wall's compositions in this sci-fi epic. Aside from that, the confluence of shooting behind cover along with the different types of powers is strategic and fun even on the highest difficulty. I wish developers would make more sci-fi RPGs of this caliber. Too many recent games, that when juxtaposed, have no relevancy among each other, but far too many things in common, such as a bunch of elves casting magic and dwarves wielding axes. Mass Effect 2 is my most beloved game yet because it breaks free of that. Expand
  55. Feb 28, 2012
    A damn fine game, that more than delivers on the promise of its predecessor. Combining BioWare's signature world building and interactive narratives with a polished third person shooter mechanic Mass Effect 2 is an atmospheric, character based action-roleplayer that continues Commander Shepard's struggle against the godlike Reapers and their proxies. Although not without a few minor flaws (inventory and skills a bit too streamlined for some tastes, a bland planet scanning mechanic replacing the wonky driving sections of ME1, and a few levels that are not much more than corridors), Mass Effect 2 certainly deserves all of its GOTY awards for 2010. The art direction, voice acting, and music are all part of a quality presentation that more than makes up for those minor nitpicks, and it also succeeds in a rarely tried experiment of importing saves from ME1, providing a unique and personalised continuous experience throughout the franchise for each player. Add to this a selection of reasonably chunky DLC, including the excellent "Lair of the Shadow Broker", this is a grand space opera to even rival the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. Expand
  56. Feb 26, 2012
    I'm impressed , surprised, wowed , satisfied and most of all happy . Bioware did not just perfected the story , it made it an impact in our lives with those decisions . Its gorgeous and brilliant , it surpass in every standard its predecessor , and makes everything right . Combat wasn't a strong point in the last one but, the sequel makes a high step , above and far away , combined with a better strategical parts . Amazing Expand
  57. Feb 26, 2012
    Anyone who says this game sucks is simply an idiot or a COD-addict. No game ever made can compare or compete with the Mass Effect series, and chiefly Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 2 is simply the BEST video game experience anyone can take part in. Where to begin? Amazing graphics, amazing and vastly unique game-play, and a fictional universe so intricate, detailed, and diverse that I can't recall anything that is as motivating as the world of this game. The variety offered in this game, as well as an amazing dialogue tree that changes details and eventually the outcome of the game in EVERY decision that you make is profound, and deserves applaud. This game is addicting, fun, gripping, and hard to put down. The characters are very real and life-like, and you are able to pursue relationships with this characters in different ways. Mass Effect 2 is simply the BEST game out there. Expand
  58. Feb 3, 2012
    Nothing but a Gears of War clone. A 10 hour RPG (if you can call it that). No exploration what so ever. Everything straight forward. RPG for a 10 year old. Holds your hand. Nothing but shooting and the shooting isn't even fun. Stupid conversations that take you nowhere.
  59. Feb 1, 2012
    This game is without a doubt the best game I have ever played. I got the game in late 2011 and personally thought it was better than Skyrim.
  60. Jan 30, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is even better looking than the xbox 360 version *I played both versions*and all I can say is *wow*the new graphics look amazing and the game runs very well, with barley any frame rate drops and very little amount of bugs/glitches since the final patch on ps3 for mass effect 2.however there are still some minor problems and that's why I'm giving me2 a 9 out of 10,even though this game king on ps3 and Bioware Did a Great Job on rewriting codes for ps3 *unlike Bethesda and broken Skyrim*.I love the Dragon age series and Mass Effect series and hope to see Bioware give us ps3 gamers some of the best games ever. Expand
  61. Jan 27, 2012
    This game proved to be a christmas cracker for me. After purchasing Mass Effect 2 for a ridiculous price I have to admit I wasn't expecting much but buying this game turned into one of the best decisions I ever made. From the very first moment you sense you are about to experience something awesome. As a newcomer I didn't know what happened in Mass Effect thankfully Bioware included a comic-book style into for you to put yourself into the position as Commander John Shepard and decide how things went in the first Mass Effect. The story then picks up from the original where your ship, Normandy, comes under attack and ultimately ends up with Shepard dying. However, his body is retrieved by a human-supremacist organization, Cerberus fronted by the Illusive Man. Shepard realizes that the Reapers were responsible for the attack on the Normandy. They were working by proxy through a group called the Collectors who have been responsible for human colonies disappearing throughout the galaxy. And that's ME2 in a nutshell, this leads you to recruit a diverse team of individuals, gain their loyalty and prepare to stop the Collectors on a suicide mission. It might sound complicated but believe me it's actually simple to follow and truly engrossing from the start. This is where Mass Effect set's itself apart. It has a genuinely outstanding story where every decision you make has consequences at any stage of the game and in the overall context of the story including the final "suicide mission." Its epic and reminds you why you play games and that's not where it ends because now there is also plenty of DLC available to enhance your experience. The gameplay is effortless. Bioware have really got things under control when it comes to that department. It's also vastly rewarding as after each mission you play you can upgrade your weapons, the Normandy and your squad in any way you want in preparation for the final mission. There's also unlockable's which you can achieve via each level. Customization is also available deciding how you look it's not the most important aspect but definetly a good addition nonetheless. Where Mass Effect excels are the interactions between each character. It's just genius. Each conversation is interesting and ultimately will have a baring on how you play things out, you can choose to be impartial, be the hero or be the bad ass, what's not to like?!? When it comes down to it it's not just interesting and epic it's fun, and awesome fun, you will find minutes turning into hours and time will disappear infront of you as you become engaged in Bioware's amazing game, even simple activites like scanning planets for valuable subject's to improve your armory. There is so much to be had in the ME world the possibilities are endless and you will constantly come back to replay things differently and see how it ends up! It just doesn't disappoint at all all the way to the epic, unforgettable final suicide mission. Games nowadays often can leave you thinking I just went through all that for this... but not Mass Effect it's an incredible ending to a phenomenal game. Graphically it's impressive. Each planet is different and therefore, naturally has a different feel and look about it which is always a good thing as each setting has something fresh and vibrant to offer along with the inhabitants off the planet, honestly you will see everything! If i'm being honest I never wanted this game to end. It's an unforgettable, mesmerizing experience that is without question one of, if not, the greatest RPG games ever to be made! This game will grab you and not let you. An outstanding story with solid substance and incredible intrigue combined with awesome action and clever cut-scenes. In general this game was everything you could possibly want! From start to an epic and quite unbelievable ending you will be experiencing one of the best games ever made, period! You owe it to yourself and your console to buy this, especially with Mass Effect 3 around the corner!!! Expand
  62. Jan 26, 2012
    Great game, another good Bioware game. The only flaws would be at times boring because of repetitive combat. Highly recommend especially if you're into Sci-fi and RPGs. Enjoyed having dialogue choices and the fact there are actual consequences for some of your actions/choices.
  63. Jan 20, 2012
    This game is fantastic, I can't explain how good this game is. I haven't played part 1, but this game has me hyped for ME3. Bought this game for 20 bucks, worth every single penny. Took me 50 hours on my first run, excellent story with great replay value and it's fun the whole way through. Love the paragon / renegade system. You can tell that these guys brought a lot of ideas over from KOTOR and that's not a bad thing at all. Best game I have played in a long time. Nearly perfect minus the long load times, and minor glitches. Last boss is intimidating and the graphics are really good as well. Expand
  64. Jan 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a game with a lot of potential but unfortunately EA has decided to put a lot of quantity in this game in spite of quality. The game looks pretty good on the PS3, although at some points there are visual eyesores. The story itself is very unimaginative. Aliens want to kill us all, one man stand against them, bla bla bla. But it was still fun, then they fill the whole main story with finding team mates and on other side doing missions to gain their trust. While i enjoyed the characters background story as most of them were more intriguing and interesting than the main storyline, the missions were too long and at the end I just wanted to get them over with. The world didn't interest me enough either to go out and explore it, it just didn't catch my interest. But what really breaks this game is the gameplay. All the while you walk through a few corridors, find some items, enemies approach you, you take cover, shoot them to bits and repeat.

Why did i give this game a 6 after all that negativity? Even though i caught myself constantly thinking I need to get this over with because I have better games to attend, I still recognize it's choice-based story telling. you have a lot of choice in this game and basically can decide your own path.

Mass Effect has a lot of bredth, as in you can do many things in many ways, but not a lot of depth, because none of them worked out in a pleasing manner.
  65. Jan 5, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is probably the best game out there. I'm serious. **** Uncharted and Batman Arkham City and get playing this superb Sci - Fi RPG with a brilliant story that would shame movies and environments so beautiful they almost made me cry.
  66. Dec 26, 2011
    I'm happy to get flamed for saying this but anyone who says this game had a good story has never read a decent book in their life. There was no story in this game. The actual story arc of this game is about 3 hours long worth of gameplay. I can summarize it here:

-Reaper Servants aka "Collectors" kill Shephard and his crew
    -Shephard is ressurected
    -You are told he has to travel through
    omega jump node to destroy Collector Base
    -You spend the next 5-10 hours performing COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY unrelated side-quests to recruit characters who have ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION to the story and join Shephard for completely unknown reasons for a potentially suicidal mission. It's literally like, "Hey, you're pretty tough. Wanna come with me and kill the Collectors?" The potential recruit then says, "Sure. Sounds good. I'll risk my life for that. Who are the Collectors btw?"
    -You then finish the game by going to go kill the Collectors
  67. sdg
    Dec 26, 2011
    The game is an absolute classic. Positives - Good story, strong characters and voice acting, good combat system, numerous missions, smooth graphics - glitch free (atleast for me), replayable using various classes.

Negatives - None
  68. Dec 23, 2011
    I guess there is a reason why Mass Effect 2 is so well recieved by everyone. The game is extremly polished in every department. I must say, I wasn't impressed by the demo at the time, but after getting into the story and experiencing the game to it's fullest I can say it's outstanding. Sci-fi was never my thing, but this game transfers the "sci-fi" mood very well, in a way that wasn't expected. Besides the fact that every race speaks perfect English, everything else looks believable and not "low budget" like most of these movies. Besides that, there is an amazing dialog and a veriety of choices and decisions that affect the outcome of your story. The main goal in the game is recruiting team mates for your mission, to fight against a new threat to the galaxy. Seems predictable, but if you have played the first game you would appreciate the subtle references and characters that pop up during your adventure. Mind you, the characters and their arcs were more interesting then the story itself, but there is more then enough politics and race struggles, somehow always involving humans and always decpicting them as giant **** The cover based shooting mechanics are brilliant here, and are near perfect. There are AI issues but they are very minor. I loved the fact that you can bring different characters to battle, and they will always ahve something to say in between battles, and it's amazing that the dialog is so varied considering there are about 12 of them in the game. Each character has it's own mission or story, that is usually resolved by shooting aliens in their faces. The graphics are jaw dropping. So much work has been put into the graphics in this game I'm speechless. So many different worlds and locations that look varied, odd and beautiful alike. They set the amazing atmosphere that lingers throughout most of the game. I believe this game is a huge success, and I'm so glad it came out for PS3 owners to enjoy. The game oozes with quality, and you can see the care and love Bioware have put into it. Truly deserves it's high reputation. Expand
  69. Nov 27, 2011
    Very good game. Interestingly, I maybe enjoyed it a little less than the first one, not because it's not a better game, but because some of the novelty wore off. Story was still fun, and I did find myself investing in the characters, which seems to be Mass Effect's strong suit. Gameplay still feels a bit stiff compared to, say, Gears of War. But it's still pretty good. For me, this game is more of an 8.5. And I'll certainly buy the third one, if only to see how this epic story ends. Expand
  70. Nov 25, 2011
    I agree i absolutely loved this game. EVERYTHING about it was superb from the characters the planet excavation this game was epic. This game was the only thing that helped me over come an extremely bad toothache. I'm hoping my anticipation for the next install isn't a big let down like many great games before it a la FF13 and MW3
  71. Nov 21, 2011
    Seriously, if you haven't played this game yet, get it now before the third installment comes out; the storyline once again centres around Commander Shepard and his (or her) battle against the Reapers. Character development is fantastic, together with excellent graphics, great voice acting and a musical score that is second to none.

The way you can shape the storyline and modify your
    character pretty much demands that you play through multiple times, and the PS3 version includes a large chunk of dlc that XBOX players had to buy separately. You can get at least 25 hours worth of gameplay out of a single playthrough. There are very few games out there that offer this kind of in depth story telling where you genuinely feel emotional attachment to the characters.

I cant wait for ME3, next March can't come soon enough - please don't let us down Bioware!!
  72. Nov 10, 2011
    A great game, love ability to import character from me 1. Good - great RPG, nice story, multiple playthroughs, lengthy game
    Bad - at times too long dialogue
  73. Nov 2, 2011
    Epic is not a good enough word to describe this game. At the time I was getting this game, it was between Crysis 2 or Mass Effect 2... and I am glad of my decision. Although, I do not own a copy of Mass Effect 1, I have played it and completed it on my friends PC, but it was okay because I didn't really get to enjoy it as much as if it had been my own game. Mass Effect 2 is a great game for any newcomer to the series as there is an Interactive back story comic, which is based on the decisions of Mass Effect 1 and available on the PS3 version and now available on Xbox Live to download. I never enjoyed playing a video game as much as I enjoyed playing Mass Effect 2. To be honest I personally am not a fan of Sci-fi, space themes and what not, but this is amazing and unique to your everyday playthrough of Call of Duty multiplayer. Everything about this game is brilliant in my opinion, we all have different tastes, but if you like action and decision based consequences which can be brought forward to Mass Effect 3, if you decide to get it, this is your game! Expand
  74. Oct 31, 2011
    This Review will not be lengthy, I will just have a line on each of m marking factors, when rating games.

Presenation: 9- Everything is set out in the game efforlessly and the presentaion style is truly fantastic, especially as compared to the first (only on Xbox) the presentation is greatly improved.
    Graphics: 8 - The graphics are for the most part fantastic, but some of the grphical
    hiccups cannot be avoided such as jagged edges and very occasonal pop up.
    Sound: 10 - The sounds, music and sfx sounds within the game are truly amazing and really contribute to the atmosphere desired and the story told.
    Gameplay: 8 - The gameplay is engaging and the speech system and choosing between paragon or renegade actions is fantastically implemented. The reason this section is marked down is due to various gameplay glitches which occur in every version of the game be it PC or PS3. Lasting Appeal: 10- You'll remember how great an experience this was long after its over, and the main playthrough can weigh in at a substantial amount of hours especially if you want a perfect ending.
  75. Oct 16, 2011
    Close to perfect. You just can't stop playing. The story, the characters and the overall atmosphere and worlds are so rich and deep that you just feel absorbed by this fascinating adventure. A must-have SF game. Graphics, sound and the overall production also are amongst the best ever made on a 128-bit machine.
  76. Oct 16, 2011
    this game is an amazing game on so many levels and although it is not on the same rpg level as fallout it comes very close. i have not been able to stop playing this game since i got it because of the amazing story graphics and gameplay. first ill start with the story it is just amazingly told and it makes you want to get to the next part so you can see what will happen next the voice acting is also top notch from every charachter except for Sheppard which kind of sounds like a robot sometimes but this is easily over looked as well all the people you can recruit each have thier own quest that can be done which gives each a deeper meaning in the grand scheme of things. The graphics are also breath taking with each enviroment so rich in color and detail and the fact that everything looks so real is just icing on the cake i have found myself just standing in one spot for a little bit longer than i probably should so i can just look at everything and take it all in. there is also never a lack of resources in this game to buy and upgrade stuff with since you can get money easily if you are patient and dont just zip through each place without looking at anything and if you want to upgrade your equipment but dont have enough rescources it is also very easy to get those as well you just need to pick a planet and harvest the resources from there. there is only one thing i can complain about in this game i wish that there was more than one way to end a mission instead of it always ending the same way but this is no big deal. this game is the compleate package with a greatt story, comedy, lots of side quests and great graphics this game is a must have for any serious RPG gamers out there Expand
  77. Oct 14, 2011
    Mass Effect II is one of the most enjoyable games on the PS3. The story is deep and interesting, the characters feel almost real, the visuals are stunning and the gameplay is as smooth as it can be. Sure it has some flaws like cheap parts in the story e.g. the "trap" Sheppard walks into on the Reaper spaceship; sometimes the stunning visuals are missing, especially on the small individual mission on the "mineable planets"; on PS3 the game has several visual and crash bugs and so on, but all in all, Mass Effect II is one of the best games I have ever played on my precious PS3. Expand
  78. Oct 13, 2011
    A absolute masterpiece. Mass effect was a already amazing experience. BioWare made a even more emotional game, with better gameplay mechanics and character development. Shortlist for the best PS3, Xbox360 and PC game of all time.
  79. Oct 2, 2011
    This games is brilliant. Its all that i expected and more. All the cities and planets really contribute to the intense story. The weapons were great and the dialog really make you feel emotion and it never lets up, talk to the different squad members, discover their backstory is so much fun. Also if you do missions for them and complete them successfully then they will become loyal and help you more in those critical moments at the end. There is only one thing that annoyed me, there is no jump button, you have the option to vault over some cover to reach to slightly higher places but not being able to walk over so cover that is about knee height is so annoying and could have been fixed so easily but other than that it is a really great experience and i had a lot of fun and that last mission is so intense it will definitely get your heart pumping and it really sets it up for Mass Effect 3. Don't leave this game in your pile of shame. 10/10 Expand
  80. Sep 23, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is truly outstanding game. I never thought much about it when it was X360 and PC exclusive. My impression was that this was Microsoft over hyped title to emphasize "superiority" of X360 over PS3. Anyways ME2 is exceptional game. One year late but at least we got all extra content and improved graphics all included in the price of the game.I had blast playing it and i cannot wait for ME3. Expand
  81. Sep 20, 2011
    I was a little dissapointed with the game, but then again I had expectations that were through the roof... I'm content is saying that the game is incredible, though I have to admit the game failed a little to make me develop a connection between all characters. The game is cinematic and offers an incredible amount of replayability.
  82. Sep 14, 2011
    If you don't like this game then you don't like RPGs. The only reason it is not a 10 is that the missions, while varied, get a little repetitive. Also, there is too much time wasted harvesting resources. But it is a great game, with high replay value.
  83. Sep 10, 2011
    Pure brilliance, that is all. It takes a bit of playing to get the gist of how things go and to get into it, but once it's been played, the time taken to get there would not have been wasted! Can be repetitive at times with the shooting but otherwise, a great game with a great story and countless possibilities.
  84. Sep 8, 2011
    If you think Mass Effect 2 were cool back when it was released for the PC and the 360, well think again, 'cause the PS3 version is way better. You'll be getting better graphics, a better game engine, and what's more? You'll be getting all dlcs.... for FREE!! Excluding the boring Arrival dlc, Yay! Mass Effect 2 has an intriguing storyline and is a direct sequel to the first instalment. Couldn't play it 'cause you have a PS3? No worries, you'll be getting an interactive comic at the start of the game to learn what happened in Mass Effect 1. The characters are likable, choices are fun, and the game has some bad@ss moments (especially when triggering renegade actions. Okay, but the game isn't perfect of course. Some bad points would be the gameplay. If you play on Normal and higher difficulty, you'll find that during combat, everytime you stick your head out you'll definitely get shot even though there are 3 of you in your squad. This is annoying and unrealistic. And therefore, combat is lacking. You can't jump, you can't roll, the combat is plain and basic. Graphics are alright but nowhere near the best (Bioware are NOT known for good graphics anyway). Character creation/customisation is very limited and can't exactly create anyone you like.. It's not a very long game, 20-30 hours at most. But overall, I really enjoyed the epicness of the game despite its flaws. So if you haven't already pick this one up, take my word if you're an RPG fan this game is a must. Expand
  85. Aug 31, 2011
    A very good game. I'm not into space games or RPG but this one got me. I missed the original, and never played this on the Xbox. I got this off a trade-in because of it's high reviews, which having played it, i agree with...for the most part. The story is great, and characters are also very well written. Mission wise, this game is very heavy. There are loads of missions to do and they are all fun. Each is vastly different in narrative, choices and outcomes so it goes without saying that replay value is very high, but i don't really like replaying stuff i've seen already just to see a slight alteration. Controls are occasionally stiff, but they are minor glitches. Shooting is very fun, but there's no melee combat though. Overall, it's definitely one of the best games this gen. Expand
  86. Aug 19, 2011
    It's great, but short of perfect because the missions do become repetitive at some point.But towards the end it regains the fun factor and addictive tension it had previously lost.The (mostly) alien characters are so well defined, each one with their personal quirks and personality, that when the climatic final battles arrive at the end, we are totally immersed in their adventure.Being an RPG, there are many ways to engage in conversations and the results of our behaviour affect greatly the curse of events.Luckily, the inventory component present in RPGs has been streamlined, making it more fun to peruse, select and choose items to carry.Then again, this key modification to the gameplay design may upset hardcore RPGs fans, accustomed to painfully thorough customization options.The graphics are beautiful in regards to the creatures design, not so much with the enviroments, which needed more complex textures if you ask me.Nothing too worrysome, though.Did I mention this game is Epic long? It is.All in all the ups are more than the downs, so this game's Highly recommended! Expand
  87. Aug 13, 2011
    This is easily the best game I've ever personally played. However. I had a computer melt down (totally my fault) and needed to reinstall ME2 in order to recover characters for ME3 (already purchased). This "Origin.com" download control was exactly zero help. 24 hours into a 48 hour download the process gagged and required restart. Origin cannot send a CD or DVD (even if you offer to pay) 100's of hours and money invested - gone. I cancelled my ME3 order. Expand
  88. Aug 13, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is an "amazing" game. Simply put. The storyline is well crafted to something brilliant. Game-play is fun and exciting. Since Mass Effect 2 arrived to the PS3, the graphics are stunning in HD. Mass Effect 2 will last you for about 30 hours. And there is PLENTY of replay value with side quests, decision making, and just exploring the beautiful planets and environments. But for this game being so big. You my incur some bugs or glitches, but they are small time glitches and bugs though so nothing to worry. At the end of the day, I recommend this game to everyone or anyone that appreciates great games. So i give Mass Effect 2 a "10". Good day! Expand
  89. Aug 12, 2011
    I would definitely buy the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 over the Xbox 360 version. The PS3 Mass Effect 2 has all of the DLC's and has very improved visuals. I would recommend that you go to your local Gamestop and pick this game up immediately.
  90. Aug 3, 2011
    I'm not a sci-fi fan and, being a ps3 owner I had not paid any attention to this game but, my god, once I played it, it became apparent that this really is something special. The combat is amazing. The RPG element is fun. Everything put together and this really is one of the greatest games of all time.
  91. Aug 2, 2011
    Mas effect 2 one ofthe best games what I have played. The rpg system is unique and clever and the game feels funnier when you have two allies trough the game. The main story was really good. If you havent bought this game yet go and buy this now!
  92. Aug 1, 2011
    Mass effect is actually close to being the only shooter i have ever enjoyed, and then again i enjoyed it so much it was almost scary. There is no need for explanation why this game is good, for there are no words to describe that, you just have to experience it for you self.
  93. Jul 31, 2011
    i would actaully give this game a 8.5 for a score . well im gona get the negitive stuff done to start with. first off the game is kinda buggy . ive had alot of issues with the voice's cutting out durring cut sceanes and even one time where all sound went out and had to reboot my PS3 . there's also abit of freeze ups during play i dont mean the game completely locking up but you will be just walking around and will just freeze for 2 seconds then resume not terrable but abit annoying. also the item , wepon , and armor system was dumbed down . i liked the original set up in ME1 much better you had so many differnt wepons and armor to choose from now you have no armor to choose from you just upgrade it and your wepon selection is just a few guns which you also upgrade. there is no more looting of enimes which i did not like felt like it was just to simplefied. also the story doesnt even really take off till the end . now for the good. although the story may not move as much as the first ME the world of ME and the charicters are all well done and you get alot more info about them . so i was very entertained with finding out more about the qaurians , krogan , geth , and more . so i felt the hole in which the story was lacking abit was made up for very well in charicter and discovering more about the ME universe. i found the combat system very smooth and enjoyable . you have many more charicters then the first one and runing into your old team mates like garrus and tali feels like runing into old friends . i found all the new charicters very intresting and always wanting to learn more about them. even though the story was slow there was enough new info that i found intresting to make it a pretty decent story. the game is also much longer then the first one . if you did every thing in the first ME it would take you about 24-25 hours in ME2 it will take you around 35+ hours which to me is more of the standerd in which a RPG should be time wise. in the end ME2 is a pretty good sequel to the first and didnt find myself really dissappointed much and will deffinitly do another run through some day. Expand
  94. Jul 13, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  95. Jul 7, 2011
    Simply put, one of the GREATEST games i have ever played. If you love RPGs then you should buy this game, if you love third persons shooters you should buy this game, if you want a game with an amazing story that lets you choose your own path and make your own decisions then you should buy this game. I guess what I am saying is BUY THIS GAME.
  96. Jul 2, 2011
    Amazing game, one which keeps you hooked and you don't want to end. The characters, locations and story are so entralling you'll find it hard to put the controller down.
    Also the PS3 version, whilst cheap, features a host of DLC essentially for free and add a lot to the game in terms of new characters and locales. You don't want to miss out on Mass Effect 2. (having the interactive comic
    at the start allows for quick new games in which you can decide new ways to play the game, and set up a different perspective very easily. This adds a lot of replayability) Expand
  97. Jun 28, 2011
    Gonna join the party train over here and give this a 10. Everything is fabulous. The only things worth **** about are the ridiculously long loading times and the bugs. C'mon Bioware, get your stuff together! Despite this, though, it's still amazing. Go buy it. I'm serious.
  98. Jun 19, 2011
    Excellent game. Whats this new idea about having to print off the blinking manual? its a total nightmare if you don' t have access to a printer to start with!! That aside the team who made this did a fab job in the depth and layers the game consists of. Mirandas charms are worthy of a ten alone but your motivations for playing the game either way actually drive you in a compelling plot. The spaceship seems a bit complicated at first but its actually really simple in layout and the game moves along at just the right pace. You need a manual to understand the combat to start with though or it seems a bit complicated. Mining planets is really fun and the sub missions can make the game 40+ hours if you want it. Expand
  99. Jun 17, 2011
    I just don't get all the hype. The graphics are ugly, the acting is terrible and the art direction is very meh. Maybe it rocks if you're a teenager, but I just can't see any adult buying into this. Or maybe you need to spend 30 hours to really get into it.
    6 hours was all I could take before realizing that there are way better looking games out there, with far more fun gameplay.
    RPGs
    should stick to pen and paper, and a couple of friends around a table :) Expand
  100. Jun 16, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is an epic that is even better on the PS3. I heard of many bugs in the PS3 version. But I didn't run into any bugs and I also didn't notice dropping frame rates. This is the best sci-fi game I've ever played!!!!!!
  101. Nov 3, 2012

1. May 24, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece of Sci-Fi-Storytelling. The characters in the Mass Effect universe are offering a deep background. The Game is exciting until the very end.
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is still a game you shouldn't miss at all costs, and one of the best RPG's of this generation of consoles. You need an internet connection to download all of the contents which EA didn't include on the main BR disk.
  3. Yes, ME2 isn't perhaps the most technical RPG ever created, but it's easily one of the slickest, bearing the unmistakable master craftsmanship of RPG luminaries, BioWare. Not only is this supersized Sony edition of ME2 outstanding value for money – it also represents a sound long-term investment. If the Mass Effect 3 reveals are anything to go by, the conclusion of this saga will be similarly unmissable and the galactic apocalypse will be decided in our own backyard: Earth. [March 2011, p70]