8.4

1. Nov 10, 2011
    A great game, love ability to import character from me 1. Good - great RPG, nice story, multiple playthroughs, lengthy game
    Bad - at times too long dialogue
  2. Mar 11, 2013
    This is definitely a great video game. It offers the player a remarkable sense of galactic exploration, which I think is, together with the fully detailed scenarios and arts, its strongest points. The interpersonal relationships are somehow reasonably well developed, with quality voice actors and credible characters summing up for excellent and numerous dialogues throughout the title. EvenThis is definitely a great video game. It offers the player a remarkable sense of galactic exploration, which I think is, together with the fully detailed scenarios and arts, its strongest points. The interpersonal relationships are somehow reasonably well developed, with quality voice actors and credible characters summing up for excellent and numerous dialogues throughout the title. Even as a shooter, during the frequent action passages, shows enough charisma not to distract the player too much from the real pleasure: to explore all these amazing unknown planets, forbidden ships and cosmopolitan space stations. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    This is a great game due largely to the story surrounding it, but there is a few things that people getting this game to reflect on when playing this game in the years to come. The gun-play can get repetitive and with a very lengthy game it can feel like ages. If you want a good start you'll have to get the Mass Effect trilogy to get a good beginning where the galaxy doesn't see you as aThis is a great game due largely to the story surrounding it, but there is a few things that people getting this game to reflect on when playing this game in the years to come. The gun-play can get repetitive and with a very lengthy game it can feel like ages. If you want a good start you'll have to get the Mass Effect trilogy to get a good beginning where the galaxy doesn't see you as a blight. Overall one of my favorites! Expand
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 is one of those games that tries to do too much and thus is not really great at anything. The combat is mediocre, the exploration gets stale after a while, and the story really isn't anything special. The characters and dialogue are the best part of the game, but it's a small portion and isn't enough to save it. Not a bad game by any means, but not "best shooter RPG of allMass Effect 2 is one of those games that tries to do too much and thus is not really great at anything. The combat is mediocre, the exploration gets stale after a while, and the story really isn't anything special. The characters and dialogue are the best part of the game, but it's a small portion and isn't enough to save it. Not a bad game by any means, but not "best shooter RPG of all time" as many people claims it is, either. Expand
  5. May 11, 2014
    My first Mass Effect game, and I can't say I was disappointed.
    From the great opening sequence to the hold-your-breath end battle, Mass Effect 2 is a stellar experience that everyone calling themselves a gamer needs to experience.
    My first Mass Effect game, and I can't say I was disappointed.
    This game has changed my outlook on life, possibly my inner soul. It's that good. Not many games can have you genuinely attached to the characters, planets and cities. It feels so real that you could almost live in it.
  6. May 5, 2013
    This is as good as western RPGs get today. Unlike Mass Effect 1, the sequel has a bigger emphasis on gameplay: new powers, different skill trees, and more weapons. However, many aspects of the original Mass Effect were taken away. There are loading screens now, no more planet exploration, and there's almost no weapon and armor customization.

It still is an amazing game in a different

It still is an amazing game in a different way. Easy to learn and comes with a bunch of DLC included on the PS3 version. Definitely my favorite franchise of the past years.
  7. Feb 29, 2012
    Several glitched firefights and blemished cutscenes that are absolutely dwarfed by the game's profound lore, vivid colors, characters backed by excellent voice overs, and a veritable emphasis on ramifying decisions. Perhaps the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack would have fared as a tighter glove than Jack Wall's compositions in this sci-fi epic. Aside from that, the confluence ofSeveral glitched firefights and blemished cutscenes that are absolutely dwarfed by the game's profound lore, vivid colors, characters backed by excellent voice overs, and a veritable emphasis on ramifying decisions. Perhaps the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack would have fared as a tighter glove than Jack Wall's compositions in this sci-fi epic. Aside from that, the confluence of shooting behind cover along with the different types of powers is strategic and fun even on the highest difficulty. I wish developers would make more sci-fi RPGs of this caliber. Too many recent games, that when juxtaposed, have no relevancy among each other, but far too many things in common, such as a bunch of elves casting magic and dwarves wielding axes. Mass Effect 2 is my most beloved game yet because it breaks free of that. Expand
  8. Jan 22, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 on the PS3, is simply amazing. The shooting is fun, conversations are interesting, and besides who doesn't like saving the human race and being able to hit people in the face. 10/10
  9. Mar 8, 2012
    What can we say....? Game of the year.... Incredible game with amazing and deep story. Finished it 4 times and every time was better. I am looking forward for me3.
  10. Mar 29, 2011
    Great game, very addictive. love the liberty like in fallout to choose your path. When you are engaged in battle, it turns into a First person Shooter game. The companion AI is quite smart, rather than running striaght into a fight, they actually run for cover then attack. The dialogue is a bit unnatural, i played with shephard, and his tone at times didn't match the conversation, butGreat game, very addictive. love the liberty like in fallout to choose your path. When you are engaged in battle, it turns into a First person Shooter game. The companion AI is quite smart, rather than running striaght into a fight, they actually run for cover then attack. The dialogue is a bit unnatural, i played with shephard, and his tone at times didn't match the conversation, but otherwise it was a great run. Can hardly wait for mass effect 3. Some people keep mentioning how many bugs they had, i must say that l played the game for over 3 hrs at times and didn't encounter any issues. Expand
  11. Mar 17, 2011
    This is truly a great game, but the PS3 version is plagued with many bugs. If Bioware patches most of the bugs to go with their new DLC release, I will gladly revise my score to the '10' I want to give the game.
  12. Aug 3, 2011
    I'm not a sci-fi fan and, being a ps3 owner I had not paid any attention to this game but, my god, once I played it, it became apparent that this really is something special. The combat is amazing. The RPG element is fun. Everything put together and this really is one of the greatest games of all time.
  13. Sep 10, 2011
    Pure brilliance, that is all. It takes a bit of playing to get the gist of how things go and to get into it, but once it's been played, the time taken to get there would not have been wasted! Can be repetitive at times with the shooting but otherwise, a great game with a great story and countless possibilities.
  14. Dec 26, 2011
    I'm happy to get flamed for saying this but anyone who says this game had a good story has never read a decent book in their life. There was no story in this game. The actual story arc of this game is about 3 hours long worth of gameplay. I can summarize it here:

-Reaper Servants aka "Collectors" kill Shephard and his crew -Shephard is ressurected -You are told he has to travel through

-Reaper Servants aka "Collectors" kill Shephard and his crew
    -Shephard is ressurected
    -You are told he has to travel through omega jump node to destroy Collector Base
    -You spend the next 5-10 hours performing COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY unrelated side-quests to recruit characters who have ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION to the story and join Shephard for completely unknown reasons for a potentially suicidal mission. It's literally like, "Hey, you're pretty tough. Wanna come with me and kill the Collectors?" The potential recruit then says, "Sure. Sounds good. I'll risk my life for that. Who are the Collectors btw?"
    -You then finish the game by going to go kill the Collectors
  15. Mar 19, 2012
    Unique third person Shooter-Style Game. The Game Story is fascinating, the characters are charismatic, Unlike most recent games, from the Hardcore mode on the game gets really hard (REAL PLAYERS NEED REAL CHALLENGES). The decision-making thing makes you feel that you ARE the commander, not just the player. Online mode is fun. There could be more Side Missions (I finished the game tooUnique third person Shooter-Style Game. The Game Story is fascinating, the characters are charismatic, Unlike most recent games, from the Hardcore mode on the game gets really hard (REAL PLAYERS NEED REAL CHALLENGES). The decision-making thing makes you feel that you ARE the commander, not just the player. Online mode is fun. There could be more Side Missions (I finished the game too fast... Wanted to play more missions.) Expand
  16. Jun 28, 2011
    Gonna join the party train over here and give this a 10. Everything is fabulous. The only things worth **** about are the ridiculously long loading times and the bugs. C'mon Bioware, get your stuff together! Despite this, though, it's still amazing. Go buy it. I'm serious.
  17. Jan 23, 2011
    If you haven't played the 360 version, you have to play this game now. With the graphics upgrade and free additional content, Mass Effect 2 should win game of the year twice.
  18. Feb 2, 2011
    I personally think that giving this game a negative review is criminal. Even if you think the progression and RPG elements of the first Mass Effect were better (and I agree), this is still a FANTASTIC game. The story is engaging, gameplay is crisp and fun, and the graphics rock. This game is a must have.
  19. Feb 28, 2011
    Great game, really entertaining. If you like Knights of the Old republic, you'll love this game. With many optional side quests you can play the long game or a shorter game focussing on just the main quest. Nice movies and voice overs. A must!
  20. May 27, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a reason to buy to a next-gen system and start playing video games if you ever needed a reason. From the start of this one, you're flying through the darkest corners of space all to somehow stop a sentient race of machines from destroying civilization as we've come to know it.
    The storyline is great, the graphics are beautiful, the gameplay is tight as are the controls. The voice acting is top notch with 5 star actors such as Martin Sheen playing the role of the Illusive Man. Joker is also played by Buffy's own Seth Green, who is hilarious everytime he opens his mouth or breaks a bone(you'll see what I mean when you play!)
    Get up and go buy this game right now. RIGHT NOW!
  21. Aug 19, 2011
    It's great, but short of perfect because the missions do become repetitive at some point.But towards the end it regains the fun factor and addictive tension it had previously lost.The (mostly) alien characters are so well defined, each one with their personal quirks and personality, that when the climatic final battles arrive at the end, we are totally immersed in their adventure.Being anIt's great, but short of perfect because the missions do become repetitive at some point.But towards the end it regains the fun factor and addictive tension it had previously lost.The (mostly) alien characters are so well defined, each one with their personal quirks and personality, that when the climatic final battles arrive at the end, we are totally immersed in their adventure.Being an RPG, there are many ways to engage in conversations and the results of our behaviour affect greatly the curse of events.Luckily, the inventory component present in RPGs has been streamlined, making it more fun to peruse, select and choose items to carry.Then again, this key modification to the gameplay design may upset hardcore RPGs fans, accustomed to painfully thorough customization options.The graphics are beautiful in regards to the creatures design, not so much with the enviroments, which needed more complex textures if you ask me.Nothing too worrysome, though.Did I mention this game is Epic long? It is.All in all the ups are more than the downs, so this game's Highly recommended! Expand
  22. Aug 31, 2011
    A very good game. I'm not into space games or RPG but this one got me. I missed the original, and never played this on the Xbox. I got this off a trade-in because of it's high reviews, which having played it, i agree with...for the most part. The story is great, and characters are also very well written. Mission wise, this game is very heavy. There are loads of missions to do and they areA very good game. I'm not into space games or RPG but this one got me. I missed the original, and never played this on the Xbox. I got this off a trade-in because of it's high reviews, which having played it, i agree with...for the most part. The story is great, and characters are also very well written. Mission wise, this game is very heavy. There are loads of missions to do and they are all fun. Each is vastly different in narrative, choices and outcomes so it goes without saying that replay value is very high, but i don't really like replaying stuff i've seen already just to see a slight alteration. Controls are occasionally stiff, but they are minor glitches. Shooting is very fun, but there's no melee combat though. Overall, it's definitely one of the best games this gen. Expand
  23. Nov 5, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 might just be my biggest gaming surprised of all time. After just a few hours into the original Mass Effect I stopped playing because of it's crumby combat system and it's truly lame planetary exploration sequences. I never expected to play any of the games sequels, but after reading so many positive reviews for ME2 I decided to give ME2 a try - and boy am I ever glad that IMass Effect 2 might just be my biggest gaming surprised of all time. After just a few hours into the original Mass Effect I stopped playing because of it's crumby combat system and it's truly lame planetary exploration sequences. I never expected to play any of the games sequels, but after reading so many positive reviews for ME2 I decided to give ME2 a try - and boy am I ever glad that I did! The combat was refined and made ridiculously awesome, the annoying planetary exploration was removed, the graphics are top notch, the sound design was incredible, and the story was among the best I've experienced in a video game to date. All around ME2 is a winner and all gamers MUST check it out! Expand
  24. Jan 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 is the perfect combination of Role playing and action games, in other words, you can create your own character and actually have brute fights with him, and other virtue about Mass Effect, is the freedom to be a bad guy or good guy.
    But on my opinion, the RPG style of the game is too low yet, the story isn't so versatile how should to be a "Real RPG".
    The Game is awesome, but a better option in RPG 's is Fallout: New Vegas.
  25. Jan 28, 2011
    Mass effect 2 for PS3 at last....iv'e played through it on xbox360 and i have to say that the story is epic...i never bought the DLC for 360 which is why i got Mass effect 2 for PS3 complete with over 6hours of DLC missions included on the disc. First things first....do you need to play ME1 to understand ME2? - NO!...the included back story does a good job of filling you in on what happensMass effect 2 for PS3 at last....iv'e played through it on xbox360 and i have to say that the story is epic...i never bought the DLC for 360 which is why i got Mass effect 2 for PS3 complete with over 6hours of DLC missions included on the disc. First things first....do you need to play ME1 to understand ME2? - NO!...the included back story does a good job of filling you in on what happens in the previous game. Once the game boots up and you see the in game graphics up and running, you know your in for a treat...having played both PS3 and 360 versions of the game, i can say that the developers have made the PS3 sing, i was a bit worried that bioware would have done a half arsed port but they have come up trumps and improved on the already impressive 360 version. Mass effect 2 on PS3 is the definitive version of the game and is a must for any rpg/shooter fan. Anyone who rates the game at less than 8/10 is either a 360 fanboy and is sore at seeing yet another once 360 exclusive move to PS3 or they simply haven't played it......10 out of 10...it's only the end of January and already PS3 is out fighting with two of the best games ever created..Mass effect 2 and Little big planet 2 as well. Expand
  26. Jan 19, 2011
    This in an awesome game, and the PS3 version is the most complete version.
    but only buy if you haven't got xbox/pc because you can pick it up pretty cheap on the other formats
  27. Feb 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's simply the best game I have ever played.
    I played it through three times on the xbox and now 2 times on the PS 3. Graphics haven't improved as much as everyone is saying but it's still, after the PC version, the best version to get.
  28. Apr 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember when i first heard about Mass Effect 2.

I am a huge fan of Dragon Age and i finished it around 7 times (on PC and PS3 combined) and when i first heard about Mass Effect 2, i just simply had to play it, but never got the chance (since i am a PS3 gamer...) But when BioWare announced that they were making a PS3 version of the game, it made my day.
    Mass Effect 2 got the same spirit as Dragon Age; Romancing option, companions, making your own decisions, you can choose to be a male or a female, and all the RPG stuff..

I bought Mass Effect 2 on the first day and wasn't disappointed.
    It was much better than i thought it would be, and i wasn't too hyped for Dragon Age anymore.. Mass Effect 2 was the new Dragon Age in my eyes.

Pros:

- Magnificent graphics that just blew my mind
    - Very realistic and as you play, you want to make sure you keep your team alive through the suicide mission, as you will see this isn't a game that you give a crap about everything and want to 'kill this one or this one for fun'
    - Every decision you make has an effect on Mass Effect 3
    - 10/10 in voice-acting
    - Romancing aliens
    - Very Re-playable as you can be Good (Paragon) or Evil (Renegade) and make a lot of choices
    - Great combat system
    - Many different classes to choose from

Cons:

- Can be a little buggy sometimes

Overall i give Mass Effect 2: 10/10

Strongly recommended.
  29. Mar 13, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. A little bit worse than ME1 ( no freeroaming in the citadel, instead you get loading screens) but comes damn close. Mordin is one of the best characters I've ever seen in a videogame.
  30. Mar 15, 2011
    Played 30 hours without even realizing I did it. Not even COD did that for me. Brilliant, deep, well voice-acted writing, enthralling plot. Engrossing interactions. Action and face animations might not always be perfect, but the single best one-player experience of my life.
  31. sdg
    Dec 26, 2011
    The game is an absolute classic. Positives - Good story, strong characters and voice acting, good combat system, numerous missions, smooth graphics - glitch free (atleast for me), replayable using various classes.

Negatives - None
  32. Apr 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 Has easily climbed into my top PS3 games in my library. From start to finish, Mass Effect 2 makes sure there is never a dull moment in the game. Graphically, the game looks very nice and detailed. But that is not the draw for this game. The story of Mass Effect 2 is brilliant. Bioware has captured lightning in a bottle with this series, and I constantly found myself drawn toMass Effect 2 Has easily climbed into my top PS3 games in my library. From start to finish, Mass Effect 2 makes sure there is never a dull moment in the game. Graphically, the game looks very nice and detailed. But that is not the draw for this game. The story of Mass Effect 2 is brilliant. Bioware has captured lightning in a bottle with this series, and I constantly found myself drawn to the characters of the game. Besides the story and the awesome characters of ME2, the gameplay is fun and the mechanics allow you to attack a situation in many different styles if you so choose. For example, you can run into a fight guns-a-blazin, or you can be a tacticle sniper using powers and carefully placed head shots to eliminate enemies quickly. ME2 is a rare game that does a lot of things, but also does all of these things very well. Some may knock the game for having no multiplayer component to it, but those of you who have played the game understand that this game definitely does not need a multiplayer. But there are other valid arguments which I will discuss that put a very tiny smudge on the armor of an otherwise amazing game. -----Cons:------ ME2 seems to be unsure how to handle itself under one specific situation. Is it linear or is it a sand-box? While not on a mission you are free to travel anywhere in the vast universe you want which is awesome. But once you begin a mission there is pretty much a set corse you have to take to complete the mission and you can't deviate much if at all. This is not a major gripe, because this game still manages to handle this well by offering plenty of enemies and perfectly paced story being delivered throughout every mission. ME2 uses the cover system for fights and does it well for the most part. But ME2 has absolutely no "ambush" factor in any of the fights. Once you enter a room you can tell right away if you are going to get attacked by enemies because you will see hundreds of perfectly placed chest-high walls. To me this detracts from the game slightly, because at no point in the game will you be surprised or caught off guard by an enemy. If they are going to stick with the same system for ME3 they need to be able to handle these situations better, and be able to mix in a variety of battles not just chest-high wall shoot outs otherwise the game will feel more like a shooting gallery than a shooter. ----Final Thoughts----- Even though ME2 can be at times "linear" and fights can be predictable at times, The story and the mechanics of the game just seem to overcome these obsticales like a champ. ME2 is a fun game, and has a ton of replay value because of all the different choices you can make. You can't possibly make all the same choices in 1 play through, and some of these choices can drastically change your game. This game is close to perfect. But still needs just a little more work and polish before it can be called a perfect game. But Mass Effect 2 comes damn close to it. Final score................9/10. Expand
  33. May 15, 2011
    I would argue that ME2 is the best game made to date. The story is immersive, the gameplay is exciting and smooth, the voice acting is phenomanal, and the characters are incredible. 10/10 in every aspect.
  34. May 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Because of how deep this game takes you, it's worth it buying the DLC. The bugs are passable, even. I've done everything in this game and am looking forward to future DLC. I especially love the many choices you can make. A-ma-zing. Good or bad Shepard? Choice is yours! Expand
  35. Aug 2, 2011
    Mas effect 2 one ofthe best games what I have played. The rpg system is unique and clever and the game feels funnier when you have two allies trough the game. The main story was really good. If you havent bought this game yet go and buy this now!
  36. Oct 14, 2011
    Mass Effect II is one of the most enjoyable games on the PS3. The story is deep and interesting, the characters feel almost real, the visuals are stunning and the gameplay is as smooth as it can be. Sure it has some flaws like cheap parts in the story e.g. the "trap" Sheppard walks into on the Reaper spaceship; sometimes the stunning visuals are missing, especially on the smallMass Effect II is one of the most enjoyable games on the PS3. The story is deep and interesting, the characters feel almost real, the visuals are stunning and the gameplay is as smooth as it can be. Sure it has some flaws like cheap parts in the story e.g. the "trap" Sheppard walks into on the Reaper spaceship; sometimes the stunning visuals are missing, especially on the small individual mission on the "mineable planets"; on PS3 the game has several visual and crash bugs and so on, but all in all, Mass Effect II is one of the best games I have ever played on my precious PS3. Expand
  37. Nov 2, 2011
    Epic is not a good enough word to describe this game. At the time I was getting this game, it was between Crysis 2 or Mass Effect 2... and I am glad of my decision. Although, I do not own a copy of Mass Effect 1, I have played it and completed it on my friends PC, but it was okay because I didn't really get to enjoy it as much as if it had been my own game. Mass Effect 2 is a great gameEpic is not a good enough word to describe this game. At the time I was getting this game, it was between Crysis 2 or Mass Effect 2... and I am glad of my decision. Although, I do not own a copy of Mass Effect 1, I have played it and completed it on my friends PC, but it was okay because I didn't really get to enjoy it as much as if it had been my own game. Mass Effect 2 is a great game for any newcomer to the series as there is an Interactive back story comic, which is based on the decisions of Mass Effect 1 and available on the PS3 version and now available on Xbox Live to download. I never enjoyed playing a video game as much as I enjoyed playing Mass Effect 2. To be honest I personally am not a fan of Sci-fi, space themes and what not, but this is amazing and unique to your everyday playthrough of Call of Duty multiplayer. Everything about this game is brilliant in my opinion, we all have different tastes, but if you like action and decision based consequences which can be brought forward to Mass Effect 3, if you decide to get it, this is your game! Expand
  38. Jan 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a game with a lot of potential but unfortunately EA has decided to put a lot of quantity in this game in spite of quality. The game looks pretty good on the PS3, although at some points there are visual eyesores. The story itself is very unimaginative. Aliens want to kill us all, one man stand against them, bla bla bla. But it was still fun, then they fill the whole mainMass Effect 2 is a game with a lot of potential but unfortunately EA has decided to put a lot of quantity in this game in spite of quality. The game looks pretty good on the PS3, although at some points there are visual eyesores. The story itself is very unimaginative. Aliens want to kill us all, one man stand against them, bla bla bla. But it was still fun, then they fill the whole main story with finding team mates and on other side doing missions to gain their trust. While i enjoyed the characters background story as most of them were more intriguing and interesting than the main storyline, the missions were too long and at the end I just wanted to get them over with. The world didn't interest me enough either to go out and explore it, it just didn't catch my interest. But what really breaks this game is the gameplay. All the while you walk through a few corridors, find some items, enemies approach you, you take cover, shoot them to bits and repeat.

Why did i give this game a 6 after all that negativity? Even though i caught myself constantly thinking I need to get this over with because I have better games to attend, I still recognize it's choice-based story telling. you have a lot of choice in this game and basically can decide your own path.

Mass Effect has a lot of bredth, as in you can do many things in many ways, but not a lot of depth, because none of them worked out in a pleasing manner.
  39. Feb 28, 2012
    A damn fine game, that more than delivers on the promise of its predecessor. Combining BioWare's signature world building and interactive narratives with a polished third person shooter mechanic Mass Effect 2 is an atmospheric, character based action-roleplayer that continues Commander Shepard's struggle against the godlike Reapers and their proxies. Although not without a few minor flawsA damn fine game, that more than delivers on the promise of its predecessor. Combining BioWare's signature world building and interactive narratives with a polished third person shooter mechanic Mass Effect 2 is an atmospheric, character based action-roleplayer that continues Commander Shepard's struggle against the godlike Reapers and their proxies. Although not without a few minor flaws (inventory and skills a bit too streamlined for some tastes, a bland planet scanning mechanic replacing the wonky driving sections of ME1, and a few levels that are not much more than corridors), Mass Effect 2 certainly deserves all of its GOTY awards for 2010. The art direction, voice acting, and music are all part of a quality presentation that more than makes up for those minor nitpicks, and it also succeeds in a rarely tried experiment of importing saves from ME1, providing a unique and personalised continuous experience throughout the franchise for each player. Add to this a selection of reasonably chunky DLC, including the excellent "Lair of the Shadow Broker", this is a grand space opera to even rival the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. Expand
  40. Jun 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a great game that introduces some interesting characters, innovates and is an experience that cannot be missed. The Mass Effect games have been phenomenal, and this game is no exception. The game focuses on your squad and and their stories with a over arching plot The game is superb and demands a 9/10 I recommend you buy it with a clear conscious.
  41. Jan 21, 2011
    While this game was deserving of a 9 last year on the PC and 360, it does not hold up as well on the PS3. The game has already been out for 12 months and has already won its awards and it is behind us now. It does not have much of an impact appearing on the PS3 this late.

And without the ability to import your character from ME1 (since it never appeared on the PS3), you lose out on a HUGE part of the experience. A ten minute interactive comic cannot replace a 60 hour experience. Players who have not completed the first Mass Effect will be clueless during countless moments and miss out on a lot of the satisfaction an invested ME player will experience, which is what brought ME2 to be such a highly rated game and what won it GOTY 2010.

And despite the extra year and a new engine, the game still runs on par (or worse) than the 360 version. The PS3 has never been known to handle the Unreal Engine well and this game is no different. Frame rate stutters galore.

Unfortunately, PS3 owners will most likely not understand what all the hype is about if they have not played the first Mass Effect.
  42. Jan 29, 2011
    ME 2 has it all, and more...., don't miss this game, it will be like missing Ocarina of time, Resident Evil 4, and other Masterpiece Classics
    (Tip: don't only run through the main-quest, you'll be missing some unforgettable moments in Gaming History!)
  43. Feb 12, 2011
    Don't hesitate for a second buying this game. If you have played the short demo released fairly recently of this game but wasn't a big fan of it, don't be scared, the full game is a hundred times better as the demo lacked the characterisation and depth that is so vast in the full game. With the added free downloadable content, you just cannot lose when purchasing this game, ignore theDon't hesitate for a second buying this game. If you have played the short demo released fairly recently of this game but wasn't a big fan of it, don't be scared, the full game is a hundred times better as the demo lacked the characterisation and depth that is so vast in the full game. With the added free downloadable content, you just cannot lose when purchasing this game, ignore the terrible reviews at the bottom, they are Xbox fanboys jealous of the huge graphical upscaling given to the PS3 version. Expand
  44. Jan 18, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. I own this on pc, xbox and ps3 and I still want to pump my fist in the air and cheer for Shepard and my team when taking down the collectors.
  45. Jan 19, 2011
    I have been a fan of the franchise since the first game hit the 360. I bought it for that system bought the PC version and bought all three versions of Mass Effect 2. I will admit that some of the RPG elements have been stripped down and the game has seen a more "action" oriented style, but it works and the story telling and character development is still amazing. This is one of the rareI have been a fan of the franchise since the first game hit the 360. I bought it for that system bought the PC version and bought all three versions of Mass Effect 2. I will admit that some of the RPG elements have been stripped down and the game has seen a more "action" oriented style, but it works and the story telling and character development is still amazing. This is one of the rare franchises where I feel a connection to the characters and want to know more about them. Expand
  46. Jan 28, 2011
    I genuinely cannot remember a game that has had me hooked, and trully engrossed like this for a long time. At present Iam now approximately 25hours in to the game and have seldom put the pad down....save for sleeping, eating, and Uni work of course. The story offers great variety in mission design and provides a great antagonist in the Collectors. The combat is solid, with great gunplayI genuinely cannot remember a game that has had me hooked, and trully engrossed like this for a long time. At present Iam now approximately 25hours in to the game and have seldom put the pad down....save for sleeping, eating, and Uni work of course. The story offers great variety in mission design and provides a great antagonist in the Collectors. The combat is solid, with great gunplay and battle commands mechanic that can only be likened to that of Uncharted 2. The main story will have you hooked, but the enjoyment of ME2 does not end here. There are many different planets and worlds to investigate and explore throughout the universe with side missions providing great entertainment and sources of intrigue into the world. As you meet/recruit new team members each has their very own compelling and well thought out backstory that seamlessly fits into the plotline of the main story. I would defy anyone to criticise this game as being short of perfect, its port to PS3 is one of absolute perfection; and failing a catastrophe in the storyline in the remaining time I have left to play this is a solid 10/10 from me. I would recomend this game to anyone that has waited so long for the Space adventure/RPG to be done to a fantasic standard. Adding to that, Bioware have including all the DLC created for the 360 version and included it for FREE, giving you even more story and value for your money. Already waiting tentatively to preorder Mass Effect 3 due for release Autumn 2011. This is ESSENTIAL Playstation gaming. Expand
  47. Jan 19, 2011
    poppy downgraded sequel

poppy downgraded sequel

Most missions follow an identical procedure. RPG depht suffers from poorer skilling options and a more linear levelstructure compared to the first title. Architectual patterns often repeat. The story adds additional depht to the universe, but conservative implementations such as ammunition or fuel subvert the logic of the immersive gameworld. Visuals are stunning! The characters are well drawn and bring their own background story.
  48. Jan 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, the story traps you from first to last minute, and the gameplay is just perfect.

Also the PS3 version is clearly better than the Xbox360 one.
  49. Jan 26, 2011
    An amazing game. I love RPGs and dont really like FPS, but this game mixes them both together in an intriguing story and excellent playability. I loved every second of it. Had never played ME 1 before trying this. After my heart settled down after first playthrough I rushed out to buy ME1 before playing them both twice back to back. I now have two different stories to continue when ME 3An amazing game. I love RPGs and dont really like FPS, but this game mixes them both together in an intriguing story and excellent playability. I loved every second of it. Had never played ME 1 before trying this. After my heart settled down after first playthrough I rushed out to buy ME1 before playing them both twice back to back. I now have two different stories to continue when ME 3 comes out...and I cant wait! Expand
  50. Mar 5, 2011
    If you want to buy this game and the game like this one cheaply, there is a new trustable original game key web site, and recommend it to your friends. you can just visit it and see the prices ;
  51. Mar 11, 2011
    An incredible game. There are elements not for everyone, such as the customization sought by hardcore RPG fans. But Bioware does a fantastic job of integrating large elements of the traditional RPG with the fast-paced gaming of an action game. For those who appreciate both, this game is a must.
  52. Mar 15, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 delivers on its promise to merge the shooting and (albeit light) RPG genres into one delightful package. The engrossing narrative and vibrant atmosphere never felt dull or contrived, and in the games final hours you can't help but feel that you are an integral part of the action as you battle your way towards ME2's epic conclusion. That being said I wish that the RPGMass Effect 2 delivers on its promise to merge the shooting and (albeit light) RPG genres into one delightful package. The engrossing narrative and vibrant atmosphere never felt dull or contrived, and in the games final hours you can't help but feel that you are an integral part of the action as you battle your way towards ME2's epic conclusion. That being said I wish that the RPG portion of the game was more fleshed out i.e. companion armor, more equipment and shield choices, as well a full fledged loot system. I also found the difficulty system to be a bit unbalanced, the game too easy on normal or lower which makes most ammo and biotic talents useless and unnecessary. I actually found that ME2 truly shined on insanity difficulty when it forced you to think tactically because taking almost any damage was simply not an option. A great example of this is at any point when you encounter husks. Husks are armored at higher difficulties and you and your team can easily get swarmed and die in seconds. Cryo ammo, which I honestly gave up using during my first normal difficulty play-through, became my best friend. Had I never played ME2 on insanity difficulty, I feel this review score might be several points lower because I would have failed to truly understand the finer points of ME2's mechanics. Overall I found the graphics, voice acting, animations, and environment design to be on par or better than most games this generation, and only one notable glitch during Tali's recruitment mission which occurred on both of my play-throughs. Definitely worth picking up if you like shooters blended with RPG elements. Expand
  53. Mar 15, 2011
    Where to begin? Do you like shooters similar to Gears of War? How about role playing games? Well you get both with Mass Effect 2! Featuring an incredible story, but also great game-play to back it up. This will be the best game you ever spend your hard earned cash on! (Unless BioWare tops ME2 with Mass Effect 3) Don't be a fool and pick up this must have game now. If it helps, I just beatWhere to begin? Do you like shooters similar to Gears of War? How about role playing games? Well you get both with Mass Effect 2! Featuring an incredible story, but also great game-play to back it up. This will be the best game you ever spend your hard earned cash on! (Unless BioWare tops ME2 with Mass Effect 3) Don't be a fool and pick up this must have game now. If it helps, I just beat this game for a third time and am still not bored of it. Expand
  54. Mar 20, 2011
    I loved the original even with all the graphical glitches. I was happy that ME2 fixed that problem. With BioWares new trend of dumbing down there games is starting to turn me off to buying there games at launch. Having said that, this game is still leaps and bounds better that anything in this genre. The only reason i'm giving this game a 8 is because they regressed, in terms of game-play.I loved the original even with all the graphical glitches. I was happy that ME2 fixed that problem. With BioWares new trend of dumbing down there games is starting to turn me off to buying there games at launch. Having said that, this game is still leaps and bounds better that anything in this genre. The only reason i'm giving this game a 8 is because they regressed, in terms of game-play. The original had real strategy to it, this is a shot it till it dies hack'n'slash shoot'em up. It was the story that kept me playing not the game-play. Expand
  55. Mar 21, 2011
    Stupid plot, really really stupid plot. Predictable action (shoot then talk and then shoot some more). But most of the companions and characters are interesting. The good definitely out wights the bad.
  56. Mar 21, 2011
    A brilliant addition to the RPG market. Simply an excellent game. Sure it may have a few cracks around the edges but the story immerses you so heavily that you won't even notice. I've played it over and over and each time choosing new options and paths to take. A must buy for any RPG/Sci-Fi fan.
  57. Jun 17, 2011
    I just don't get all the hype. The graphics are ugly, the acting is terrible and the art direction is very meh. Maybe it rocks if you're a teenager, but I just can't see any adult buying into this. Or maybe you need to spend 30 hours to really get into it.
    6 hours was all I could take before realizing that there are way better looking games out there, with far more fun gameplay.
    RPGs
    RPGs should stick to pen and paper, and a couple of friends around a table :)
  58. Apr 22, 2011
    This here is the perfect example that arpg's are no longer in the shadow of the jrpg's. This is by far the best rpg i have ever played in this current generation of console's. Still not good enough to beat ff7-8&9 but maybe that's me being an nostalgic to the epicness that i felt back in the days lol
  59. May 14, 2011
    This game was supremely disappointing, in so many ways. It threw away its RPG roots for a more consumer friendly 3rd person shooter feel. Smooth gameplay, but you can tell this game was made for money, and not made to contribute a real, lasting RPG element to the realm of classical RPG's. This game is basically twenty hours of shoot this, shoot that, with a very predictable storyline and aThis game was supremely disappointing, in so many ways. It threw away its RPG roots for a more consumer friendly 3rd person shooter feel. Smooth gameplay, but you can tell this game was made for money, and not made to contribute a real, lasting RPG element to the realm of classical RPG's. This game is basically twenty hours of shoot this, shoot that, with a very predictable storyline and a few useless side missions that contributed little to nothing to the story. I was a huge fan on the first ME. And Bioware disappointed me greatly in their effort to make more money. They were clearly not supporting the hardcore fans that bought and enjoyed ME 1. The gameplay came out smoother then the first, and the graphics were even better. That is why I am giving it a five. Otherwise it was a very lackluster game.

On a side note, the music in this game was hardly noticeable, and was in no way as memorable as the first, or as creative as the first. Basically the only songs I enjoyed were the remakes of the songs in the original.
  60. Jun 16, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is an epic that is even better on the PS3. I heard of many bugs in the PS3 version. But I didn't run into any bugs and I also didn't notice dropping frame rates. This is the best sci-fi game I've ever played!!!!!!
  61. Aug 1, 2011
    Mass effect is actually close to being the only shooter i have ever enjoyed, and then again i enjoyed it so much it was almost scary. There is no need for explanation why this game is good, for there are no words to describe that, you just have to experience it for you self.
  62. Aug 21, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is the greatest entertainment experience i have seen so far. There are films out there with more epic storylines, but none of them can come close to the level of immersion that this game provides. The setting, characters and storyline all combine to carry you off on a great adventure. The gameplay mechanics also impress but the story is the main point of the game. The onlyMass Effect 2 is the greatest entertainment experience i have seen so far. There are films out there with more epic storylines, but none of them can come close to the level of immersion that this game provides. The setting, characters and storyline all combine to carry you off on a great adventure. The gameplay mechanics also impress but the story is the main point of the game. The only fault i find with the gameplay is that the shooting feels less fluid and instinctive than the best cover shooters available, with an irritating need to take cover behind scenery before you can leap over it, and the weakness of the melee combat. There are upgradeable powers in the game, and you will need them as the standard melee attack is useless. The graphics of the game are near flawless, except in some of the DLC where the textures were very poor and my character repeatedly disappeared through walls. Overall this is an engaging, good-looking, challenging game, with a great deal of side quests and a play time of roughly thirty hours. However if your looking for a game that is driven more by gameplay than story you may be less forgiving of the flaws with the combat system. Expand
  63. Oct 16, 2011
    Close to perfect. You just can't stop playing. The story, the characters and the overall atmosphere and worlds are so rich and deep that you just feel absorbed by this fascinating adventure. A must-have SF game. Graphics, sound and the overall production also are amongst the best ever made on a 128-bit machine.
  64. Nov 21, 2011
    Seriously, if you haven't played this game yet, get it now before the third installment comes out; the storyline once again centres around Commander Shepard and his (or her) battle against the Reapers. Character development is fantastic, together with excellent graphics, great voice acting and a musical score that is second to none.

The way you can shape the storyline and modify your

The way you can shape the storyline and modify your character pretty much demands that you play through multiple times, and the PS3 version includes a large chunk of dlc that XBOX players had to buy separately. You can get at least 25 hours worth of gameplay out of a single playthrough. There are very few games out there that offer this kind of in depth story telling where you genuinely feel emotional attachment to the characters.

I cant wait for ME3, next March can't come soon enough - please don't let us down Bioware!!
  65. Mar 12, 2012
    Amazing game with excellent replay value. Have completed over 10 play throughs and still love it. Even after completing ME3 (which sucked balls) I still love it. The characters and the story are awesome, you genuinely care about your crew and the mission. 10 for being so engaging and enjoyable at the same time.
  66. Dec 7, 2013
    My personal best game ever.

Since the beginning to the end this game is a masterpiece, the characters, the plot, the world, the desicions are precise gears in this excelent excelent game.

By the way, the game's cover doesn't make justice to itself.
  67. Jul 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first one left off- in most aspects it succeeds and in some it falls a little bit flat. The galaxy and the characters feel more alive than they ever did. This is on one hand due to the beautiful designs and on the other the many missions that bring life to an already established galaxy, flesh out the different cultures and bring the relationship with the crew-members to the next level. And although there are 10 (12 with DLCs) core crew-members this time around one cares for every one them as they all get their own personal missions.
    While the scope of the story from Mass Effect 1 was much bigger and apocalyptic, the story here is no let-down at all. This can be immediately felt during the first 2 minutes of the game. It's much more personal and character driven as Shepard finds himself allied with an old enemy, Cerberus, and has to make moral decisions which eventually result in different endings. And while talking about choice one cannot skip over the fact that the decisions from Mass Effect 1 can be imported or rewritten through a short Comic at the beginning of the game.
    Bringing back things from ME1 is what makes this game more than "just" a sequel. Many places and situations from the predecessor are revisited and can be experienced from a different perspective this time around. The characters all make sense in this setting and although the story is about as sci-fi as it can get the characters are relate-able and the conversations feel appropriate and sometimes even smart. All that shows that a lot of care was put into the development of this game.
    Also improved or emphasized was the humor in the game as there is more than one situation that made me at least smile.
    The game also introduces the "Interrupt"-system which changes the flow of the conversation which gives the player an additional layer of immersion. It is not only a nice gimmick which breaks up the gameplay but both given options (either Paragon or Renegade) always feel more than satisfying.
    The fighting was improved as well- it feels much faster and more brutal. Skills feel different and powerful after leveling up. Taking cover is key as Commander Shepard is no superhuman and will die after taking some hits. Although the change from overheating to changing heat sinks was a little bit off. If they needed to implement something like Ammo, I would have used it to strengthen the difference between alien and human technology.
    Also mini-games are present in form of hacking which is always a fun way to mix things up.
    After all the praising I have to talk about the negatives as well:
    The RPG elements are stripped away to the absolute minimum. Each character has only 5 to 6 powers to choose from. Weapons are of course present and the player can choose from a set of different guns: sniper rifle, assault rifle, Shotgun, pistol and new additions in form of the SMG and HW. The player can collect armor pieces but there is almost no freedom in modifying them. The crew-members receive an alternate look at one point in game but it feels ultimately disappointing after all the options that were given in ME1. Upgrades are present but the game lacks in making changes visible which makes it ultimately forgettable.
    Furthermore, shops are now selling "designs". This means one has to buy the designs, fly through the galaxy search the needed resources and use them to built the weapon. This seems just as a forced way to make mining essential for completion, which it should never be. Resources can't be sold to shops, which more than once resulted in the situation that I had a huge amount of resources but no money.
    Mining is now done by scanning the surfaces of planets and sending down a probe which collects the scanned resources. This is of course an improvement over the Mako's campy controls but it still feels like a cheap way of prolonging the gameplay.
    Although the game gives us choice on how to resolve a conflict (Paragon or Renegade), I often switched and went the middle way. But instead of spending leveling points on Persuasion-skills because I CHOSE to have more options during discussions, I had to have a high enough rating on either Paragon or Renegade to have the chance to resolve a situation in a favorable manner. This takes away choice, which is one of the core-gameplay-elements.
    Another point is that the game is pushing more towards hypocrisy than anything else: While Paragon-Shepard always stops his crew-members from killing, he is always going into a mission guns-blazing. It would have been interesting to be able to finish missions in more than one way like neutralizing enemies using neurotoxin rather than killing all of them.
    Finally, there are so many DLCs which cost as much as the game itself. That would usually be no problem but they seem like they were taken out of the game in an afterthought as means of quick-cash-ins.
    Overall, no one can deny that this is a fantastic game to spend hours and hours with
  68. Jan 20, 2011
    One of the best Xbox games is finally on Playstation! As a fan of the first, I noticed big difference's. Graphics are the same the only thing that has changed is better character quality. A lot of bugs. Sound glitches are the most often. Nothing else I've seen happen. Mass Effect is still one of the best story games out there. Exploration is huge in this game. Also the ability to travelOne of the best Xbox games is finally on Playstation! As a fan of the first, I noticed big difference's. Graphics are the same the only thing that has changed is better character quality. A lot of bugs. Sound glitches are the most often. Nothing else I've seen happen. Mass Effect is still one of the best story games out there. Exploration is huge in this game. Also the ability to travel whenever you want is a big thumbs up! Getting to know your crew is the most interesting, actually getting to know their back story. Paragon and Renegade options are still amazingly put in to the game, just having the chance to play how you want to and gives you different replay choices. Like if you want to play as a Paragon or a Renegade, be hero everybody respects or an **** that everyone is afraid you no matter where you go. Mass Effect is a must own for PS3 owners! Expand
  69. Jan 23, 2011
    Right up there with KOTOR as one of Bioware's crowning achievements, Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 looses some of it's potency without the ability to import saves from the original Mass Effect, but almost makes up for it with the included DLC.
  70. Jan 26, 2011
    Up to this point this is the worst version of the game. Please note that I really wanted to like this game and, while it worked, it was great. But then the issues happened:
    Graphical glitches, audio out of synch by several seconds, dropping framerate, extremely long loading screens and freezing issues were all that common. I would consider these issues as minor hindrances, until the straw that broke the camel's back arrives: corrupted saves.
    That's right. The game, at random, will corrupt all the save files and make all your progress moot. In any other game that would be serious, in a game that is 20+ hours long, its a show stopper. In addition to that, the fact that saves are locked makes this issue pretty much impossible to workaround.
    As I said, I really wanted to like this game, but after this issue, I don't want to spend tens of hours and having it all destroyed because of a bad port.
    I will change the score when and if Bioware stands up and fixes these issues. Until then, this is the only way customers like me can force some pressure in an corporation not to sell subpar ports.
  71. Jan 29, 2011
    Excellent game. Game-play includes shooting and using your squad members strategically. Fun side quests and o.k. farming mini-games. High replay value and good role playing friendly story. I enjoyed the leveling up system for your team members, ship and game protagonist's powers.
  72. Feb 2, 2011
    Of playstation games to come out in 2011 so far, Mass effect 2 hits the nail on the head for all avid open world rpg gamers. Some negative reviews talk about the XBox version being better and more fluid with frame rates and better coding from microsoft, yet i have both consoles and both games on each and would say there is little difference between the two. The only reason i did not giveOf playstation games to come out in 2011 so far, Mass effect 2 hits the nail on the head for all avid open world rpg gamers. Some negative reviews talk about the XBox version being better and more fluid with frame rates and better coding from microsoft, yet i have both consoles and both games on each and would say there is little difference between the two. The only reason i did not give this game a perfect score was that the sheer vastness of the 70+ hour game makes it very difficult to follow the main story line when each and every different side quest leads you further and further away from it. Gameplay and customising of character is flawless with the ability to change and equip 1000's of different weapons and armour perfecting the best build for each character. Love the free DLC PS network provides, keep it coming i say. Expand
  73. Mar 8, 2011
    Really a good game but with tremendous bug and what is unforgivable two months and a patch after the release and still the same problem: five save files and 28 hours of gameplay gone away along with my 70 bucks
  74. Mar 9, 2011
    The game is good but not like Mass Effect 1. For the PS3 version, this game is FULL of bugs and that makes the rating at level 7. The only good thing is that the PS3 version has all the DLC included in the BD, and there is also a 10 minute digital comic talking about Mass Effect (for all the people that never had the honor to play with the epic first title).
  75. Mar 17, 2011
    A great masterpiece, all the download content until date in one Blu-ray disc, with a better engine and ready for the incoming sequel at the playstation world.
  76. Mar 26, 2011
    The Mass Effect Saga always will be a masterpiece on any platform and it's not different on Sony console. Incredible graphics, sound and a good crafted Sci-Fi story makes this game unique. Unfortunately the PS3 version do not aim accurately right in some major facts about the character's story, First Normandy members, and the decisions on all the course of the story that the original MassThe Mass Effect Saga always will be a masterpiece on any platform and it's not different on Sony console. Incredible graphics, sound and a good crafted Sci-Fi story makes this game unique. Unfortunately the PS3 version do not aim accurately right in some major facts about the character's story, First Normandy members, and the decisions on all the course of the story that the original Mass Effect game had, which leaves incomplete the storytelling about the first game. Bioware did right but all the emotion from the first game can't be described in a sort of Interactive Comic Book. To finish I need to tell that Bioware didn't go wrong on bring Mass Effect to PS3, it certainly gave the developer a bunch of new fans, including me. Expand
  77. Mar 29, 2011
    This game lowers the bar in RPG Game of the Year, even lower than the dismal Fallout 3. A completely ridiculous story favorable to 14-year-olds who have no exposure to real sci-fi, the extremely limited options of the game make me think this was programmed for a Commodore 64. Aside from that, it's not a horrible game to play, but you probably should just watch Battlestar GalacticaThis game lowers the bar in RPG Game of the Year, even lower than the dismal Fallout 3. A completely ridiculous story favorable to 14-year-olds who have no exposure to real sci-fi, the extremely limited options of the game make me think this was programmed for a Commodore 64. Aside from that, it's not a horrible game to play, but you probably should just watch Battlestar Galactica instead. It is neither innovative, compelling, or anything close to memorable. Really, dig up Planescape Torment somewhere and see what a real PC RPG should be. Expand
  78. Mar 31, 2011
    Un jeu hyper puissant, un scénario en béton et un gameplay bien géré, l'exploration spatiale est au rendez-vous, rien à redire sur ce jeu que tout fan de RPG doivent posséder sur PS3, dommage que le 1 ne seras jamais sur le même support, mais la BD interactive résume parfaitement leUn jeu hyper puissant, un scénario en béton et un gameplay bien géré, l'exploration spatiale est au rendez-vous, rien à redire sur ce jeu que tout fan de RPG doivent posséder sur PS3, dommage que le 1 ne seras jamais sur le même support, mais la BD interactive résume parfaitement le premier opus, et les DLC sont d'une très bonne qualité.
    Bref un super jeu arrive sur PS3, maintenant j'ai plus qu'à attendre la suite qui s'annonce passionnante.
  79. Apr 12, 2011
    Amazing experience! Never have I completed a game and then immediately wanted to play it all over again just to see the story from a different perspective! Simply incredible... The action scenes are intense and not once have I been bored! Well done Mass Effect... go straight to the top of the class!
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    I bought this game as it was cheap and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I can say that Mass Effect 2 is, without exception, the best game I have ever played on the PS3. It is completely immersive, action packed and compelling. True, some of the audio in the cut scenes is a little glitchy but it's completely forgiveable when you consider the sheer volume of dialogue that had to beI bought this game as it was cheap and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I can say that Mass Effect 2 is, without exception, the best game I have ever played on the PS3. It is completely immersive, action packed and compelling. True, some of the audio in the cut scenes is a little glitchy but it's completely forgiveable when you consider the sheer volume of dialogue that had to be recorded.
    I was a bit worried going in that I hadn't played Mass Effect but the digital comic included with the PS3 version does a great job of filling in the back-story and allows you to make the crucial decisions from the first game. A "quick" hours play frequently turned into 3 or 4 hours for me as you get sucked into the storyline and can't help but do just one more mission. The tension builds throughout and I can honestly say I have never been so nervous going into a final battle - I mean, it's a video game for goodness sake but I was so involved, it had that affect on me !!
    Another great feature of the PS3 version is the 6+ hours of DLC included for free which all helps to flesh out the story.
    For me, this is an absolute must have for your game collection. Now roll on Mass Effect 3. In the mean time I'll settle for another play through of Mass Effect 2 !!!
  81. May 18, 2011
    < Great Re-definition of the RPG genre which returns to the roots of an immersive experience in being able to control a character which influences the environment, without the irritating inventories and boring grinding.
    < High production values seen in everything from the great design, brilliant soundtrack and breathtaking graphics. < Squad members very significant to story including
    < Squad members very significant to story including various stronger characters such as Jack and Thane. Great character development with the recruitment and help missions that form lasting player attachments to the characters. It actually hurts when characters die. < A great Action game in its own right with a refined cover system from the previous game that many reviewers have likened to that of Gears Of War. Biotic powers and classes have been refined and can pack more of a punch

< Terrible storyline form Bioware unlike what we've come to expect from previous great games such as KOTOR and Baldur's Gate. Storyline line is over the top and full of Sci-Fi Stereotypes and movie/game cliches. Worst than the last game in terms of a story plot which gets so overblown that plot holes and logical flaws become very evident. Blaming the reapers for every galactic problem has also become really lame.
    < Disappointing continuity from last game. Death of protagonist and complete reboot disappointed many who were promised a experience which integrates player actions in the last game. Characters from the last game appear but only serve as side-quest contexts. Squad members from the last game pale in comparison to the new characters in terms of character development.
    < Disappointing squad/tactical gameplay. The squad's various skills are rarely used, besides their biotic powers. Some characters players used on specific missions strategically did not pay off and only served to add a few lines of back story. The final level managed to portray Shepard as the squad leader he was supposed to be, but this could have been integrated more consistently.
    < Shepard. The male voice acting is pathetic and fails to capture the essence of the character we want in the decisions we make. Character development is almost non-existent, but unlike other games such as Half-Life where we learn about the silent protagonist from supporting characters, supporting characters only seem to portray Shepard as this hero who they know less about than we do. More should have been done to establish his past and how events from the past can affect the future. < The Paragon Renegade Gimmick is getting old. The morality of the game seems to be measured with meters which completely spoil the essence of this feature, making it a mere gimmick. Shepard is a character defined by his words and actions, but many of the options that are supposed to be badass fall short of that. In fact the Renegade Shepard is poorly defined. Renegades seem to be suspicious of everything around them but yet not Ceberus. Sometimes the stuff Renegade say makes Shepard seem like a defiant teenager just opposing for the sake of opposition. The Paragon renegade is equally stupid with the 'I don't trust Ceberus and act like a **** around the Elusive Man but heck I'm still going to allow him to send me on missions.' The game should have allowed players to choose to take orders from the Elusive man and the Council. Afterall Shepard is a Spectre. < Squad members abilities were not adhered to. Thane plays like a typical character though he's supposed to be a skilled assassin. Garrus doesn't lend his sniping skills at all. Mordin doesn't do anything apart from making stupid remarks during the heat of battle. The unique personalities and abilities of the characters are not explored at all and each character just feels like a biotic/engineer/soldier with a different skin.
    < No vehicles? The first game did have vehicle flaws, but these were because of the poor physics and not the concept itself. Bioware did act on feedback from the first game by lazily deciding to scrap the vehicles completely instead of bothering to refine them. (Fine, the Hammerhead is awesome but that's DLC content)

Final Thoughts:
    Mass Effect 2 is in no way a bad game. Its just overly-hyped and failed to deliver. The game itself is great on the surface and is an excellent experience for anybody. Analyse deeper though, and the flaws become very evident. Overall, Mass Effect 2 is an enjoyable redefinition of the RPG genre and shines as both an RPG and TPS game. let's hope ME3 will end the saga with a Bang.
  82. Jun 3, 2011
    This game is in my top 10 ever played games, and that says a lot. The story is amazing, characters are amazing and the graphics are nearly perfect. To like this game you must have a interest in the story otherwise you will be bored in a halve hour that's for sure. But even then you should go to a doctor when you do not like this game. So therefore a 9.8.
  83. Aug 13, 2011
    This is easily the best game I've ever personally played. However. I had a computer melt down (totally my fault) and needed to reinstall ME2 in order to recover characters for ME3 (already purchased). This "Origin.com" download control was exactly zero help. 24 hours into a 48 hour download the process gagged and required restart. Origin cannot send a CD or DVD (even if you offer toThis is easily the best game I've ever personally played. However. I had a computer melt down (totally my fault) and needed to reinstall ME2 in order to recover characters for ME3 (already purchased). This "Origin.com" download control was exactly zero help. 24 hours into a 48 hour download the process gagged and required restart. Origin cannot send a CD or DVD (even if you offer to pay) 100's of hours and money invested - gone. I cancelled my ME3 order. Expand
  84. Apr 18, 2012
    Not a good RPG, not a good TPS either. As a RPG this game is very weak, the character customization is horrible, you can try as long as you want, you'll not be able to make a decent looking male character. as for the female character, there aren't many hairstyles so no mather how many femsheps you make, they'll pretty much look the same. Your dialogue options makes no big difference, itNot a good RPG, not a good TPS either. As a RPG this game is very weak, the character customization is horrible, you can try as long as you want, you'll not be able to make a decent looking male character. as for the female character, there aren't many hairstyles so no mather how many femsheps you make, they'll pretty much look the same. Your dialogue options makes no big difference, it doesn't mather if you're a good guy or a d-bag, the storyline would be the same if Shepard were a silent character like Link.
    As TPS it's also very weak. You can't even compare with other TPS such as Uncharted or Gears of War. It's basically the same thing in every mission: cover in some conventionally placed box, shoot, shoot, shoot, cover again, use some random power, cover, shoot, shoot.
    One of the biggest deceptions I ever had with a videogame, I didn't even wanted to get the platinum even though it's seems easy.
  85. Jun 30, 2012
    After hearing about me3 and all the hype it was getting, I decided to try out the series myself. As a ps3 owner I couldn't play me1 so I went ahead and bought me2... the best decision I ever made. The back story comic gave me a clear description of what happened in me1 and the choices give the game HUGE replay value. The game play is average to good, but that's not what makes this game,After hearing about me3 and all the hype it was getting, I decided to try out the series myself. As a ps3 owner I couldn't play me1 so I went ahead and bought me2... the best decision I ever made. The back story comic gave me a clear description of what happened in me1 and the choices give the game HUGE replay value. The game play is average to good, but that's not what makes this game, the story, writing, characters, and pure epicness of the game makes it what it is. The end is hands down the best ending I have ever had the pleasure to experience. I can almost find no flaws with this game. easy 10/10 Expand

1. May 24, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece of Sci-Fi-Storytelling. The characters in the Mass Effect universe are offering a deep background. The Game is exciting until the very end.
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is still a game you shouldn't miss at all costs, and one of the best RPG's of this generation of consoles. You need an internet connection to download all of the contents which EA didn't include on the main BR disk.
  3. Yes, ME2 isn't perhaps the most technical RPG ever created, but it's easily one of the slickest, bearing the unmistakable master craftsmanship of RPG luminaries, BioWare. Not only is this supersized Sony edition of ME2 outstanding value for money – it also represents a sound long-term investment. If the Mass Effect 3 reveals are anything to go by, the conclusion of this saga will be similarly unmissable and the galactic apocalypse will be decided in our own backyard: Earth. [March 2011, p70]