7.7

1. May 15, 2012
    I've been waiting for years. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game by Rockstar, the company that has been on quite a roll for the past few years. However, their shooting mechanics have never been that great. MP3 changes that, because the mechanics are excellent. Bullet Time and shoot-dodge both work the same way as before, but even better. MP3 has a solid story, great voice acting, prettyI've been waiting for years. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game by Rockstar, the company that has been on quite a roll for the past few years. However, their shooting mechanics have never been that great. MP3 changes that, because the mechanics are excellent. Bullet Time and shoot-dodge both work the same way as before, but even better. MP3 has a solid story, great voice acting, pretty graphics, and amazing animations. Dual-wielding has never been better! It's not open world like RDR or GTA 4, nor will it win as many awards, but gameplay-wise, it's much ahead. Expand
  2. May 15, 2012
    Nice Nice Nice!!!
    I am loving this game, especially the Multi player, it is so much fun. The graphics is awesome! The bullet time in the multi player is a MASTERPIECE.
  3. May 15, 2012
    The narrative is Dark,gritty and very real.
    Very rarely has a game ever in-grossed me so deeply into the story,Without Giving anything away that's not in the first hour of gameplay....
    The narrative is Dark,gritty and very real.
    The story follows him after the last two games where he is addicted to pain killers ,alcohol,aged ,beaten up and bloody.He travels to Brazil when he is offered a job to protect a group of people that happen to get kidnapped during a **** party that causes a dramatic turn of events continuing the story ...
    Max Paynes 3's gameplay true to it's predecessors' formula,highly Cinematic,bloody and fasted paced gun-play Helped by the new Rockstar Rage physics engine.
    Max payne is Graphicly one of the best games around.. Also Multiplayer is good fun with the mates' and is very addictive.
  4. May 20, 2012
    There is no perfect game, but wow Rockstar have come close to making one. I created my account just to review this game, thats how much i love it. graphics/story 10+ story, enthralling and constantly surprising

sound/music 11 i know its impossible but the sounds & voice work is just that good. gameplay 9 the gameplay is fantastic, its leaps and bounds above GTA IV which is a massive

gameplay 9 the gameplay is fantastic, its leaps and bounds above GTA IV which is a massive achievement. length wise i haven't finished yet but this is the only place i could take points away, vie heard its not an awfully long campaign. but if it needed to be sacrificed to focus on all the other amazing inclusions im happy with that, its also got great replay-ability

multiplayer
    fun and entertaining in that they've created reasons and rewards for gameplay. COD levelling system helps too. Much better than the GTA IV multiplayer mode.

Overall fantastic and can't complain with anything about the game. for the small price your getting a great story, an immersive interactive fluid story that keeps you on your toes.
  5. Jul 10, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is the best linear third person shooter i have ever play, anyone that say this game suck is simply stupid, this game puts every other 3rd person shooter to shame (except uncharted)
  6. Jun 4, 2012
    Maaan, this is a shame. No more old-school Max, just an old man in fancy clothing wielding guns and trying to make a depressive but cool anti-hero impression. After watching hundreds of non-skipable cutscenes I wondered myself, what Rockstar Games published here: The Action is always interrupted by numberous cutscenes, the story itself is just horribly dumb, except for some gas-canistersMaaan, this is a shame. No more old-school Max, just an old man in fancy clothing wielding guns and trying to make a depressive but cool anti-hero impression. After watching hundreds of non-skipable cutscenes I wondered myself, what Rockstar Games published here: The Action is always interrupted by numberous cutscenes, the story itself is just horribly dumb, except for some gas-canisters (almost) no interactions are available using the environment, the difficulty is way too unbalanced and there's no 'character'-development at all. Another point: grenade-throwing is possible in multiplayer, but not in story-mode. Why??? When playing online the throwing-mechanics are actually so bad, you often get yourself killed using cover and throwing the grenade right at the wall you're using FOR COVER. I almost freaked out.

Get yourself Stranglehold, its much cheaper but still has tons of better gameplay than MP3 has. I'm really disappointed by the s*** Rockstar Games published here, if I could I'd get my money back. If you see it for 10 bucks: get it. Otherwise just accept the fact that Max's dead and avoid this piece of boring, uninspired gameplay... (I'm german, forgive mistakes in grammar etc.^^)
  7. May 15, 2012
    Max payne 3 had some large shoes to fill with the hype as well as gameplay from the prior installments.
    It Delivers on both ends and then some.. I picked up the game at midnight and played for about 6 hours and woke up to about 6 more to complete the campaign but to be honest this is the kind of game which im in no hurry to finish it, not wanting the exp to end, yes it is that fun and pretty...Lets get to whats important.

Gameplay is very good, although i dont feel like i have complete control of max as far as "sandbox" elements but i do feel like sometimes an open world can bring a lot of chores and further buzz killing the tempo , well thats not the case here its a glorious ride from the start to end without any dull moments and this is where the game shines, the tempo of the game is perfect. One gripe some have had were the cut scenes which i really thought were brilliantly done but it does feel like sometimes it does take max out of my control at very engaging moments in the game but its done to keep the player "involved" emotionally w/ the story and max and its almost mind boggling to watch how seemless the cutscenes transition to gameplay, being hard to tell which is which at times because the graphics are just that good also.. The controls are also done well, never did i feel i had to fight max to shoot or move except for rare moments when i slo mo dive into a table for example but other than that its bullet time is "honest" to the likes of the other max payne games and its still awesome how i can also slow mo the kill cam and continue to fire bullets while only seeing the "bad guys" body getting filled with holes, so awesome..

The music/score is out of this world, is close to perfect in regards to the bgm following/matching whats going on in the game, when its getting chaotic the music does as well, heavy drums and beats. somber moments likewise but with more mellow , softer tones and i just cant say enough about the music. I am very impressed.. The graphics are top notch and so is the story, one can not argue this. I was amazed how good the story "peaked" and kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to check for every clue, listen to every word, laughed and felt sorrow, the story was written with care, sooo good..

I have to get back to this game, lol.. Trust one thing, this is worth the investment..

Many hours worth of campaign, arcade mode and a brilliant multiplayer which is packed with fresh ideas, fun, fun, fun.. This game will bring hours of enjoyment and eye candy, a game worthy of retail, i can not say this often enough but Max Payne 3 is packed with quality..

I will edit this after im done feeding my gaming fix w/ max ,lol.. I promise you will enjoy the Max Payne 3 exp, every step of the way7...
    It is not perfect and there are not many games which deserve a perfect score.. This comes close, i would give a 9.5 if possible..
  8. May 18, 2012
    Recently I have started to get bored of the current gen games but I had high hopes for Max Payne 3. Got it this morning, popped it into my PS3 played about 2 hours and guess what, bored.
    It's cut scene, shoot a lot of guys, cut scene, shoot a lot of guys, got bored, turned off.
    This isn't a bad game, just a boring game. The cut scenes are depressing, the movement of Max when not in bullet time, makes him look like a really bad dancer. Multiplayer grabbed me for 1 hour, again boring. My advice, wait until until the drop in price, it will be £25 in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
    Hopefully Ghost Recon will be a lot more interesting.
  9. May 15, 2012
    Don't believe and negative reviews about Max Payne. Story and multiplayer is well made, controllers easy to use. Just because it's 3rd person doesn't mean it will play like uncharted 3 or other similar games.
  10. May 15, 2012
    I was worried this game might disappoint me bcoz of the changes but it didnt it was actually really gud Gr8 Visual and cinematics heart pumping action and Beautiful kill cams and bullet time the story is not so bad either but something that was missing was the atmosphere from previous games even though this game had a gr8 cinematic atmosphere but not the same as the first two games theI was worried this game might disappoint me bcoz of the changes but it didnt it was actually really gud Gr8 Visual and cinematics heart pumping action and Beautiful kill cams and bullet time the story is not so bad either but something that was missing was the atmosphere from previous games even though this game had a gr8 cinematic atmosphere but not the same as the first two games the same intensity but still this was a gr8 game really impressed by multiplayer i wudnt say rockstar has made a perfect game nut nothing perfect Expand
  11. May 15, 2012
    I love how coelo brings up Alan wake in this review what the hell does that have to do with MP3 and I think this distorted effects adds to the way Max sees and feels things because of his addictions that's just my opinion but its a beautifully done game in every way and is in all departments on par with blockbusters like uncharted if you like action and a great story check this out
  12. May 19, 2012
    Well ... Rockstar came after a break of 8-9 years and still they did a comeback ...

I can't say that R* done any kind of huge things in the game ... but its still something which u can't neglect .. they done some one of finest work and kept the tradition of Remedy Alive .. One of the mainstream is game nice story-line and outstanding work by McCaffery as Max , along with some live paced actions .... According to me i'll give 9/10 ... it is must try as it contain some must try content and especially Rockstar good debut as linearity ... which is well ... good
  13. May 15, 2012
    Max Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored onMax Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored on your own. If you do then you have multi-player which is amazingly fun and challenging. There is not regenerative health in the single player and it is hard so if you are expecting a call of duty, look elsewhere. Expand
  14. May 15, 2012
    A string of ill chosen Portuguese paints the room blue as 45s are drawn, nerves are tested and Max Payne slips into his world of violence, redemption and vice as easily as he would an old slipper. Is this the Max Payne game I have been waiting for? All that and more. A fascinating character study on one of gaming's most under appreciated specimen. If the campaign does get your emotionsA string of ill chosen Portuguese paints the room blue as 45s are drawn, nerves are tested and Max Payne slips into his world of violence, redemption and vice as easily as he would an old slipper. Is this the Max Payne game I have been waiting for? All that and more. A fascinating character study on one of gaming's most under appreciated specimen. If the campaign does get your emotions running high then I don't know what will. Despite the sacrifice of freedom, usually a staple of any Rockstar title, this gem offers more than mindless indulgence; a chance to play a real cinematic master class. Oh, and there is a multiplayer in there too for those of us who are interested. Expand
  15. May 15, 2012
    this is the best game of 2012 till now
    i always loved max payne and this game its awesome,the gameplay,the guns,and the multiplayer!!!!!! The graphics is awesome! The bullet time in the multi player is a MASTERPIECE.
  16. May 15, 2012
    Wow, I wasn't really expecting an old school max payne, but this comes pretty dang close without actually stepping over any lines. I'm pretty happy with it thus far.
  17. May 19, 2012
    I ORIGINALLY GAVE THIS GAME A SCORE OF 3!
    I has the number one most helpful negative review, but after playin the multiplayer in this game which is INcREdiBlY ADDicTiVE!!!!! - I have to rewrite my review and raise the score.
    I ORIGINALLY GAVE THIS GAME A SCORE OF 3!

I will still agree that it does not feel like a max payne game, but that is obviously because it is not set in NY. When Rockstar does the NY/NJ levels then I think they do a fantastic job and it feels like a real Max Payne game. The rest of the Sourh American levels just do not do it for me, but whatever.

THE REASON to buy this game is because of the multiplayer, which is very strange to say since all other rockstar multiplayer has SUCKED. They've finally hit the nail on the head, because Max Payne 3's multiplayer is the best thing I've played since MW2. I am so hooked on it that I cannot stop. It is challenging and completely awesome. I had ZERO interest in the next GTA because I was really let down by GTA IV, but after playing MP3 multiplayer I cannot wait for GTAV.

It is NOT perfectly balanced (a good thing because different builds will work on different opponents and maps, unlike COD where it doesn't much matter what gun you use.)

This blows uncharted 2/3 multiplayer away. Rockstar is a great company and they keep moving forward. I would argue that GTA IV should've had this multiplayer and Rockstar are the kings of milking it, but whatever... They delivered something amazing with MP3.

Also, once you finally get to the NY levels then it really does feel like the new Max Payne we've been waiting for. In short this game is a must buy if you like a good game of competitive multiplayer, not so much if you want to see Max back in NY doing the same things he did in MP2.

Overall, I'm very pleased that Rockstar has this franchise now.

If anyone at Rockstar sees this, there is one major complaint.
    Please fix the seriously long waiting time to join a match. It is not uncommon to have to wait five or ten minutes for the multiplayer map to finally start. The waiting times are WAY too long. I have a T1 connection, it is the game, not me.

Overall, I am going from giving this game a 3 to an 8 and that is almost entirely due to the multiplayer.
    Thanks Rockstar, good job.
  18. May 15, 2012
    "I had a hole in my second favorite drinking arm" says Max at one point. Gotta love it...really I mean as you are running around and shooting and trying to protect your friend and save the girl....you get lots of laughs on top of it...how much better does it get really? I love this game...it has a certain minimalist simplicity...very appealing. Great story. Everything works. Nice sets and"I had a hole in my second favorite drinking arm" says Max at one point. Gotta love it...really I mean as you are running around and shooting and trying to protect your friend and save the girl....you get lots of laughs on top of it...how much better does it get really? I love this game...it has a certain minimalist simplicity...very appealing. Great story. Everything works. Nice sets and action pieces. Highly recommended. Expand
  19. May 20, 2012
    Great story, fantastic gameplay you need to own this game. Never played a max payne game until 2 week ago. I bought max payne 1&2 â
  20. May 16, 2012
    IMHO, Max Payne was always way ahead of it's time, so much so, it was the main flaw of the entire franchise. There was not good enough technology out, at the times of release of the first two offerings.Thankfully, technology has finally caught up, & MP3 revels in the Matrix - esque Bullet Vision, that has finally been utilized to it's full potential. I will never tire of soaring throughIMHO, Max Payne was always way ahead of it's time, so much so, it was the main flaw of the entire franchise. There was not good enough technology out, at the times of release of the first two offerings.Thankfully, technology has finally caught up, & MP3 revels in the Matrix - esque Bullet Vision, that has finally been utilized to it's full potential. I will never tire of soaring through the air, in Slow-Motion, firing round after round at multiple foes. The visuals are breath-taking, the story is enthralling, & the Game Play is impeccable. The Crown Jewel of the franchise. Expand
  21. Jun 2, 2012
    After a bit this playing the same Rockstar game over and over gets old. Grand Theft: Auto, Horse, Facial Expressions and Slow Motion. They are making the same product over and over. Trivial story, amazing polish but it is like polishing a turd, and the now famous "awesome multiplayer" (gaming media uses this when they want to say the game is crap and it is hard to evaluate what oneAfter a bit this playing the same Rockstar game over and over gets old. Grand Theft: Auto, Horse, Facial Expressions and Slow Motion. They are making the same product over and over. Trivial story, amazing polish but it is like polishing a turd, and the now famous "awesome multiplayer" (gaming media uses this when they want to say the game is crap and it is hard to evaluate what one person's take on multiplayer is to the next) that will entertain for two weeks max. Pass. Wait for games, not products. Expand
  22. May 16, 2012
    Rockstar has delivered another epic game. Unlike some other titles out there this promises what it delivers! A lot effort has gone into the presentation of this title. It has great graphics, gameplay and AI.
    If your a Rockstar games fan then you will love this.
  23. May 16, 2012
    Never became a Max Payne fan since the first two games, but when I tried this out, I was like. WHOA! Max Payne 3 delivered the best of Action games this year. and truly made this year the "Year of the Sequels" Rockstar nailed every aspect of this and the multiplayer, THE MULTIPLAYER is a masterpiece! I can't wait for more Max Payne's in the future if Rockstar will make new MP games. AndNever became a Max Payne fan since the first two games, but when I tried this out, I was like. WHOA! Max Payne 3 delivered the best of Action games this year. and truly made this year the "Year of the Sequels" Rockstar nailed every aspect of this and the multiplayer, THE MULTIPLAYER is a masterpiece! I can't wait for more Max Payne's in the future if Rockstar will make new MP games. And Max Payne 3 made me play the classics so, Congratulations Rockstar for delivering a great Action game! Expand
  24. dz9
    May 27, 2012
    Despite the medium score, Max Payne is a very fun game. When you first turn the game on, the visuals, the amazing presentation, and how well the Euphoria engine is done grabs you instantly. Let me review the online and offline separately. Online in this game is fast paced and addicting. The problem with it is that the lack of progression with the perks and weapons. You'll have all theDespite the medium score, Max Payne is a very fun game. When you first turn the game on, the visuals, the amazing presentation, and how well the Euphoria engine is done grabs you instantly. Let me review the online and offline separately. Online in this game is fast paced and addicting. The problem with it is that the lack of progression with the perks and weapons. You'll have all the weapons you'll want by level 6 and won't want to unlock anything else until about level 40, that's when the new unlocks finally become useful. But wow... what an absurd time of just grinding from level 6-40. Another main problem with it is the lack of game modes and good maps. There are only about 4 game modes and 3 good maps, and you will be playing on those maps constantly. And only Gang Wars and original Team Deathmatch are worth noting from the game modes. Payne Killer is a boring redundant plethora of lame that must never be played. Despite this, the online is fun.. and what more can you ask for? 7.2/10 for the online. The offline campaign is where this game nose dives into it's own filth. Don't be distracted by its highly stylized presentation, excellent voice acting, and stunning visuals. Hidden underneath this is a repetitive, uninteresting story that shouldn't hold your interest past the initial 3 hours. It starts off interesting enough, but like i stated, after the first 3 hours, you wonder why Max's is even in the game cause he has no motive to continue to murder people, and The plot twists and progression are never fully clear until 2 hours after they are revealed. And get used to the game over screen. In this game, you could have nearly full health but go lights out after an enemy gets a head shot on you spontaneously...sounds cool right? But in a game where enemies appear nearly randomly, this happens way way too often and it's like you have to memorize every wave of enemies so to not die, in my experience through the campaign, i might've spent equal time in the game over menu as the actual gameplay. Despite its flaws, slugging lead into bad guys have never been more fun, theres an excellent sense of accomplishment once you clear a wave of guys and see your bullet cam. But overall, this is just an awful story, it's main problem is that it just seems irrelevant. This game doesn't progress the main story of Max Payne at all and feels like a spin off rather than a true sequel. a 3.8/10 for the campaign.. 5.5/10 for the game as a whole. Only pick this title up if your a hardcore 3rd person shooter fan or your looking for a new online experience to feed your fix of online shooters. Expand
  25. May 16, 2012
    Incredible!
    The multiplayer is amazing, it gives a new perspective to Max Payne 3. The social club's emblem editor it's cool, It's like photoshop i'm a art director and i appreciate this little detail.
  26. May 16, 2012
    Everyone who is giving this bad reviews, you need to go back and think things through. I just finished the single player today, did the first few levels in New York Minute mode and played for a few hours in multiplayer. This is all around one of the finest games I have ever played. The production value in Max Payne 3 is off the charts. Rockstar always takes their time to give qualityEveryone who is giving this bad reviews, you need to go back and think things through. I just finished the single player today, did the first few levels in New York Minute mode and played for a few hours in multiplayer. This is all around one of the finest games I have ever played. The production value in Max Payne 3 is off the charts. Rockstar always takes their time to give quality products and this is no exception. The story isn't anything special but the script is probably the best I've come across. Max's dark humor is hysterical. "I now have a hole in my 2nd favorite drinking arm." Love it. To the people complaining about the blurring and distortions, it's the result of max being drunk and on painkillers all the time, how can you not understand that!? The graphics are unparalleled. I didn't find it repetitive like many people said and I enjoy the constant flow of cutscene, fight, cutscene because it proves that videogames can be a storytellers medium. The multiplayer is surprisingly deep and very very fun, sorry modern warfare 3, I've found another love. Basically I will be playing Max Payne 3 all summer. And so should you. Expand
  27. May 20, 2012
    **** A! MP3 is an incredibly engaging 3rd person shooter with excellent physics, attention to detail & stellar presentation. The story clocks in at around 12-15 hours dependant on difficulty but if ur a completionist like myself ur talkin around 30+ hours of single player gameplayer (Hard difficulty, EVEN harder difficulty unlocked after 1st completion & then again in Time trial mode ^^.)**** A! MP3 is an incredibly engaging 3rd person shooter with excellent physics, attention to detail & stellar presentation. The story clocks in at around 12-15 hours dependant on difficulty but if ur a completionist like myself ur talkin around 30+ hours of single player gameplayer (Hard difficulty, EVEN harder difficulty unlocked after 1st completion & then again in Time trial mode ^^.) The Singleplayer will have you blowin brains out from dingy bars, nightclubs to a gang ridden part of Brazil & so forth. U can pick & wield guns at ur disposal (2 Uzi's, 2 revolvers etc or stand alone). Oh & theres multiplayer which is basically MP taken online, very addicting & accessible to rookies. Rockstar have once again proven to be masters of their craft. I buy nearly all the major release so I like to believe I can form a trusted opinion - GOTY so far. Expand
  28. May 16, 2012
    Incredible game. It definitely "feels" like Max Payne but with vastly improved graphics and refinements to the gameplay. This a game that centers on story...and it's a great story, well told. Great action sequences and set-pieces. It actually reminds me quite a bit of the Uncharted series. Similar mix of cinematics and action, big set-pieces and similar level of quality and polish. IIncredible game. It definitely "feels" like Max Payne but with vastly improved graphics and refinements to the gameplay. This a game that centers on story...and it's a great story, well told. Great action sequences and set-pieces. It actually reminds me quite a bit of the Uncharted series. Similar mix of cinematics and action, big set-pieces and similar level of quality and polish. I prefer the Uncharted games for their setting, characters, and the exploration factor, but this has a similar "feel" and quality to it. Easily my favorite Rockstar game to date (the 2nd being Read Dead Redemption, and while I love the open world nature of that, I think this is a better game overall). More than anything else, though, it's just plain fun. Having a blast with it. Expand
  29. May 19, 2012
    I am glad to see it is not only me that feels this is not a Max Payne game... It's just another Rockstar romp into mediocre story telling coupled with horrible control mechanics, bad textures and a voice over that never shuts up... why do we need to see spoken text highlighted on screen.

MP3 (ha!!) is a game that wants to be Splinter Cell Conviction but ends up being a mishmash of bad elements from every other game made by Rockstar.
  30. May 16, 2012
    Man on Fire: The Video Game. That's really my assessment of Max Payne 3. It's like Denzel's classic movie but with Max Payne and a different kidnapped girl. All the beats are pretty much the same but the game kicks bareknuckle ass. I booted up the game and started playing on Hard difficulty. Having not played Max Payne in a while it took a while to adjust to the controls and the AI wasMan on Fire: The Video Game. That's really my assessment of Max Payne 3. It's like Denzel's classic movie but with Max Payne and a different kidnapped girl. All the beats are pretty much the same but the game kicks bareknuckle ass. I booted up the game and started playing on Hard difficulty. Having not played Max Payne in a while it took a while to adjust to the controls and the AI was pretty tough to beat at first on this difficulty so I felt frustrated and wasn't really into the game. But as this train gets chugging along man oh man does it NEVER STOP. And I mean it, the relentless pace of Max Payne 3 is without question insane. If there's not a cutscene going on then bet your ass there is a balls to the wall shootout or a ingeniously designed action set piece to dazzle your eyes and boggle your mind. It's like Rockstar is trying to channel there inner Naughty Dog with this effort. And for the most part they succeed. Where they fail, is in the graphics for me. And before you jump my bones, let me explain. Alot of the game is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Particularly Max Payne's rendering himself and some of the locales (like when Max switches to that Hawaiin shirt and battles gangs in the slums....GORGEOUS. However, there are FAR TOO MANY framerate jumps and poor textures in this game. And some of the animations look just as bad as they did on GTA4. And that was made five years ago. And the nonstop shootouts CAN get just a tad repetitive although they are a blast to play. Aside from that, where Max Payne 3 really shines is in it's characterization and character development of it's lead hero. This is INCREDIBLY well done. You literally feel like you're in the mind of Max. You feel his pain, his frustration, his addiction, his regret, his inner demons and turmoul. You feel sorry for the guy. So when he kicks ass, you're rooting for him. That's one helluva accomplishment. The flashbacks are brilliantly done as well. All in all the game is seriously fun. The second best shooter I've played this Gen behind the Uncharted series and another GREAT game in the Rockstar library. These guys are just ALWYAS delivering the goods. Expand
  31. May 16, 2012
    Never mind the awesome gamplay, nevermind the jaw dropping graphics, this game has an awesome story. Rivals the writing of Hollywood. Thank you R*!

Red Dead Redemtion 2? ; )
  32. Jul 29, 2012
    And again!!! Another overhyped game. I wonder why all pro reviewers loves to hype Rockstars games. Max Payne is good game, there is no doubt about it, but it brings nothing new and its little boring. Graphics is good, story ok, but the game is uselessly long. If I compare it with Kane and Lynch Dead Men (which is very similar game), it have to fail. KaL is much more fun. MUCH MUCH MUCH more...
  33. May 16, 2012
    I love this game i was playing non stop on max payne 3 for 34+ hours and playing multiplayer. It ha sbeen nine years since the last max payne but it has been worth the wait trust me
  34. May 19, 2012
    I wasn't a big fan of the cut scenes or the constant voice narrating but otherwise it's a pretty good game and the action is awesome enough that everyone should at least try it
  35. May 20, 2012
    Over rated, it's not like it's terrible, but the multi is a worthless joke, and single player is mediocre at best. The only real selling point is that the graphics are pretty good. Blah, just spend your money on something more original.
  36. May 17, 2012
    Max Payne 3 has probably not been tailormade for sensitive boys like Coelo who wrote in his review that he quit playing because he had to puke and I'm thankful for that. Max isn't a quiter, thats why he even has pain in his name. I myself also wish I'll have to puke in what I have left to play because THAT I would call an interactive experience and its not like I dont make myself pukeMax Payne 3 has probably not been tailormade for sensitive boys like Coelo who wrote in his review that he quit playing because he had to puke and I'm thankful for that. Max isn't a quiter, thats why he even has pain in his name. I myself also wish I'll have to puke in what I have left to play because THAT I would call an interactive experience and its not like I dont make myself puke regularly. So not alone for being a mindblowing game but also for making Coelo vomit I'm awarding 10 points. Expand
  37. Aug 17, 2012
    I think 9 out of 10 is the most adequate rating for Max Payne 3, gameplay and graphics are actually pretty good and the story wasn't bad either. The multiplayer carries two interesting features which are: load out weight and bullet time, they are both great. Additions like assignments, clues and golden guns will also make Max Payne 3 more lasting. The reason I didn't gave it a full scoreI think 9 out of 10 is the most adequate rating for Max Payne 3, gameplay and graphics are actually pretty good and the story wasn't bad either. The multiplayer carries two interesting features which are: load out weight and bullet time, they are both great. Additions like assignments, clues and golden guns will also make Max Payne 3 more lasting. The reason I didn't gave it a full score was the story more, some people won't find it true to Max Payne and other may call it repetitive. But still, this game worth buying Expand
  38. May 17, 2012
    are there enough cut scenes in this game? I was starting to think it was directed by Hideo Kojima. that's all i have to say and am only writing this to make the 150 character limit
  39. May 17, 2012
    I have never played a Max Payne game before, so I did not have expectations for this game. The story mode is fun and action packed with good voice acting. It feels like an old action movie. The gameplay controls takes a while to get used to though. The multiplayer is why I bought the game though. It is super fun, at least if you can get into a game. They need to fix the matchmaking andI have never played a Max Payne game before, so I did not have expectations for this game. The story mode is fun and action packed with good voice acting. It feels like an old action movie. The gameplay controls takes a while to get used to though. The multiplayer is why I bought the game though. It is super fun, at least if you can get into a game. They need to fix the matchmaking and more people need to buy this game for the multiplayer. Expand
  40. May 23, 2012
    this game was a huge let down. its like a "last gen" game with "next gen" graphics. the game is too hard in a really cheap and unsatisfying way. rockstar also made this game for auto lock-on controlls which no one does anymore. the option is there for you to turn off, but the game then becomes unbalanced and really difficult. the 1990s mtv style presentation is awfull. max himself is likethis game was a huge let down. its like a "last gen" game with "next gen" graphics. the game is too hard in a really cheap and unsatisfying way. rockstar also made this game for auto lock-on controlls which no one does anymore. the option is there for you to turn off, but the game then becomes unbalanced and really difficult. the 1990s mtv style presentation is awfull. max himself is like a emo crybaby in adult form. do not get this game. rockstar i am disappoint. Expand
  41. May 17, 2012
    The graphics and gameplay capabilities are simply top notch. The detailed gameplay plays fantastically because of of good controls and weapons. Visuals are far from being the most important thing, but its worth mentioning for a title that looks so beautiful. How about the story? Well, its got a great script and and the characters are well developed. This is another satisfactory game fromThe graphics and gameplay capabilities are simply top notch. The detailed gameplay plays fantastically because of of good controls and weapons. Visuals are far from being the most important thing, but its worth mentioning for a title that looks so beautiful. How about the story? Well, its got a great script and and the characters are well developed. This is another satisfactory game from Rockstar. Now that this has been released, can you guys start work on Bully 2? Expand
  42. May 16, 2012
    Having a ball playing, but something is wonky on the multi-player. I have ran into way to many instances where ill be point blank unloading into someone and watching the health bar drain. It reaches where no red is showing then all of a sudden stops dropping...the person doesn't die and all of a sudden you reload thinking wtf as your reloading just to see their health refill over aHaving a ball playing, but something is wonky on the multi-player. I have ran into way to many instances where ill be point blank unloading into someone and watching the health bar drain. It reaches where no red is showing then all of a sudden stops dropping...the person doesn't die and all of a sudden you reload thinking wtf as your reloading just to see their health refill over a matter of a second. I have looked and played with most all perks and there are none that would account for someone being at 0 health and then taking 5-10 more shots and not dieing. I have also noticed balistics being a bit out there..have target on someone showing red and start shooting. First few rounds hit then all of a sudden when they get near death miss miss miss. Always just before they die. At which point you run out of bullets and are reloading as they step out and kill you in 1/3 of the rounds you put into them. Be behind a barricade and shooting, you die with it showing the bullets that killed you hitting in places that there is no possible way they could have behind cover. Head shots don't always seem to register either as i have counted multiple times i have only had someones head showing with everything else behind cover, yet after 4 times hitting them they are still alive. Very fun game all the same, but i would love to know if its glitches or someone has figured out how to exploit the game as i'm starting to see it happen more and more. Expand
  43. May 18, 2012
    I've yet to finish my play through of Max Payne 3 and will update my review when I do. That being said, I've had the chance to hunker down for a few hours of the Story Mode and the multiplayer and have a pretty good grasp on what Rockstar Games has done. Max Payne 3 manages to feel like a Max Payne game. While that sentence may seem odd, the truth is, a lot of people (myself included0I've yet to finish my play through of Max Payne 3 and will update my review when I do. That being said, I've had the chance to hunker down for a few hours of the Story Mode and the multiplayer and have a pretty good grasp on what Rockstar Games has done. Max Payne 3 manages to feel like a Max Payne game. While that sentence may seem odd, the truth is, a lot of people (myself included0 where worried that the setting, cover mechanics and updating of controls would cause some pretty big differences between the old and new. I can vouch that this is, however, not the case. The cover mechanics work next to flawlessly. The atmosphere of Sao Paulo is vibrant yet dark. But what about the updated controls? Well, aside from the occasional on rails sections and the cover mechanics, Max Payne 3 controls VERY similarly to his first two outings. Rockstar set out again to crown itself the King of subtlety. The filters flickering across the screen give the player the feeling of distortion one would assume Max is going through with all the pain killers and alcohol in his system. The foreign language that Max doesn't speak not being translated for the player. The occasional slight handed comment towards the meandering players. All of these subtleties are in place to draw the player into the experience. The story is strong, while not the best (or even the most original) ever told, it manages to hold it's own and keep the player intrigued. One would normally expect a title based on one mans distress would not include any form of multiplayer component. But, again, Rockstar pulls no punches and delivers one of the most faced paced, in your face, knock'em dead multiplayer experiences I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy. All in all, Max Payne 3 is a GREAT game well worth the $60 entry fee for fans of the original, fans of shooters or people looking for one of the most graphically gruesome games out there. Expand
  44. May 17, 2012
    sure that the 360 version is superior because all the multiplatform games are best on the 360 but is ok that the litle ps3 can enjoy max payne 3 so ok the 360 version is incredible but im sure that the ps3 also looks kinda good enjoy the payne
  45. May 17, 2012
    made an account especially to review this game. I'm a long-time Max Payne fan and this game is simply amazing. I was somewhat worried when I saw the early screens of a bald/fat Max Payne but worry not, the game has a good mix of old Max Payne (through flashback sequences) and the modern-day Max Payne (which is not so bad, once you actually play the game). The writing is still top-notchmade an account especially to review this game. I'm a long-time Max Payne fan and this game is simply amazing. I was somewhat worried when I saw the early screens of a bald/fat Max Payne but worry not, the game has a good mix of old Max Payne (through flashback sequences) and the modern-day Max Payne (which is not so bad, once you actually play the game). The writing is still top-notch stuff, easily on par with the fantastic writing of MP1 and MP2. Max Payne still has his cynical sense of humor which will provide you with a satisfying chuckle in between firefights. There are clues, health pickups (no regenerating health, thank God!) and gun parts hidden in the levels which encourage exploration.

By far the game's high-point is how damn satisfying the shooting feels. Rockstar's RAGE engine proved time and time again that it was the best physics engine and Max Payne 3 only reinforces that fact. The bodies recoil and fall so damn enjoyably. All of the guns feel power, unique and definitely have an "oomph" to them (my personal favorite is the desert eagle, by far the best representation of a .50 handgun in any video game). You really have to play it to understand fully.

I played on Hard with free-aim and I found the game to actually be...challenging. That is a good thing. Unlike other games that have health regeneration and such, you have to manage your health and ammo here. There is no breezing through this game, your head has to be in the game or you will be put in your place. Call of Duty kids should stick to auto-aim modes and easier difficulties, even then the concept of having a finite amount of health might confuse and frighten them.

By far the most surprising thing about Max Payne 3 is how good the multiplayer actually is. When I heard about this at first, I was a little worried. I was expecting a tacked-on, bare bonesand unneeded multilayer component to a good single player game...what I got was an extremely satisfying, well designed and very addictive facet to an already great game. I would have gladly paid 59.99 for this game without the multiplayer, this is just the cherry on top. You can form clans called "crews" and Rockstar has been playing matches against the public as they usually do.

Now, I might be sounding like a paid advertiser but let me tell you that this game isn't flawless. Most notably, the $20 "multiplayer pass" that unlocks stuff that was locked at launch is unacceptable. I'm surprised that a respect company like Rockstar did something like this. Hopefully GTAV won't follow suit. My other pet peeve was that in the campaign mode, you are sometimes rushed through different sections. As I mentioned before, exploration is encouraged, but sometimes (during "chase" sequences), you get a mission failure for exploring an area for too long. You'd be looking for health pickups and ammo then get a sudden "you failed to chase the guy" type screen. Regardless, Max Payne 3 has definitely proven itself a worthy sequel to two of the most beloved action games of my childhood. Buy this game if you have any interest in a good story-driven shooter.
  46. May 18, 2012
    Rockstar did it again and delivered what will probably be one of the best games of the year. First of all, for all the people that are bashing the constant cinematic's - I agree it can be tedious, but it does in no way diminish the game experience. If you sit through these cinematic's and actually pay attention you will notice the brilliant writing (in terms of story, characterRockstar did it again and delivered what will probably be one of the best games of the year. First of all, for all the people that are bashing the constant cinematic's - I agree it can be tedious, but it does in no way diminish the game experience. If you sit through these cinematic's and actually pay attention you will notice the brilliant writing (in terms of story, character emotions/actions), my favourite being Max's very dark sense of humour. The actual gameplay itself is where this game truly shines in my opinion; there is no other shooter out there that plays like this and delivers top notch graphics and audio. One of my favourite gameplay elements was the bullet time mechanic, which was executed flawlessly; I've never had so much fun unloading a clip into an enemy in a video game before. The physics also add to the whole realism of the game, for example: when the bullets rip through enemies it feels and looks like it would in an action film (think of the gunfight in the lobby in the first matrix movie). Overall, I think Rockstar truly delivered an excellent shooter with an intriguing cinematic experience, supported by the brilliant scriptwriting, a must-buy if you are a fan of shooters or action films. Expand
  47. May 19, 2012
    Rockstar mimics successful formula of the original series but eventually fails to capture the charm of the original. Gameplay suffers from shoddy controls and boring levels that offer few tactical choices during shoot-outs. Checkpoints repeatedly put you against a swarm of enemies with barely one cover around . The result is a static encounter or frequent death, the latter resulting inRockstar mimics successful formula of the original series but eventually fails to capture the charm of the original. Gameplay suffers from shoddy controls and boring levels that offer few tactical choices during shoot-outs. Checkpoints repeatedly put you against a swarm of enemies with barely one cover around . The result is a static encounter or frequent death, the latter resulting in tedious backtracking. If there are cutscenes tied to the checkpoint, you will see them again and again without chance to skip.

Gone is the noir atmosphere and well-penned Marlowesque monologues. New Max is a boring character chasing McGuffins that are difficult to care about. Cutscenes try to evoke the comics-inspired look of the original. The ambitious effort falls short due to poor editing that creates comics panes with random placement at random angles, full of busy effects and senseless dialogue excerpts. An interesting idea ends up feeling pretentious and artificial.

Despite the sub-par lighting of its in-house Rage engine Rockstar did a good job in making the game visually appealing. The art-direction is tight, cutscenes impress with high-quality mo-cap and Euphoria animation engine makes enemy reaction to your bullets nothing short of spectacular.

Sadly, the work of programmers, artists and animators has been sabotaged by design and narrative teams. The result is a mediocre shooter that did not manage to replicate the original recipe.

If you are not familiar with game's predecessors, give it a chance after price drop. Fans of Max Payne and Rockstar's previous work may find themselves thinking that despite the stellar reviews of his clothes this emperor is walking around bare naked.
  48. May 27, 2012
    This game is just an amazing third person shooter that has an awesome cinematic campaign with cool cutscenes and some decent multiplayer and arcade modes that will keep you coming back.
  49. Jul 22, 2012
    i've never been a fan of max payne saga ( especially the second one) but it's surprisingly amazing, the main campaign delivers one of the most brutal and fun action of the year, and even better the multiplayer adds a terrific experience.
    entering other aspects the grahapics shows another succes of the euphoria engine with some great bullet effects and some nicely detail characters, some gameplay mechanics show the special touch of this franchise but with a little rockstar feel to it.
    personally i love the game and enters my list of best games of the year so far.
  50. Oct 3, 2012
    I was a big fan of the first Max Payne game but didn't care much for the second . It's been a long time since we got a new Max Payne game and this is suppose to be the final one one in the series. Well for starters the game graphicaly looks fantastic . It also controls fairly decent and if you dont like the aiming it has a auto lock on mode you can select. The online is a fair bit of goodI was a big fan of the first Max Payne game but didn't care much for the second . It's been a long time since we got a new Max Payne game and this is suppose to be the final one one in the series. Well for starters the game graphicaly looks fantastic . It also controls fairly decent and if you dont like the aiming it has a auto lock on mode you can select. The online is a fair bit of good fun that i enjoyed for a few days till i grew tired of it. The story mode is just where this game falls . lets start with the story thats pretty much stuck up its own Ass and i just didn't give a crap about it. now Max Payne was never a great story game but in this day in age and with Rock Star improving in that area i expected better and what really makes it worse is you can't skip the Cutsceanes you have to sit there and just groan and wach them. I keep finding myself mashing the buttons hoping i can skip past them only to see a still laoding mesage at the bottom of the screen. Then there is the game play and this is where the game takes the biggest hit . Max Payne 3 just doesn't feel all that fun like the first one did infact it does nothing new . It actaully feels like it does less right . i loved jumping through the a door in the first MP in slow mo and gunning down 3 guys as who had no clue i was there . now i feel as if all i am doing is running to one area to the next and just fighting a group of bad guys and rinse and repeat. the game is actaully pretty long around 12hours or so but i found myself getting so bored with it i just wanted it to be over . i mean i actaully wished it was shorter ... which is a wierd thing for me to say about a game . The best thing they did with MP3 was get rid of the platforming which was so horrable in the first MP game. Max payne is not a bad game but i would say rent it or buy it cheap. i got mine for only $20 and i would say pay no more then that for it . For me this series went out with more of a whimper then a bang , which is very unfortunite. Expand
  51. May 27, 2012
    Clumsy controls, unskippable cutscenes, irritating graphic effects, tedious narration, this is a bad movie that lets you play the action scenes. Great looking, decent AI, everything else sucked. I will not drink the Kool aid. And stop comparing this to RDR, that was a near perfect game, this is a very flawed effort.
  52. May 19, 2012
    I'm about 3 chapters in and the story is great. I pill poppin' drunk Max Payne is on a new job in Brazil. With all the heat Max needs a drunk or two or three... I can't judge the multiplayer cause I never played it yet, but I don't think from what I seen of people playing it online it will be very popular for very long. Not as good as the story mode. The story mode offers a lot more replay value.
  53. Jul 15, 2012
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a let down? While all the fanboys piss themselves cooing over MP3 I cant help but feel this is one of the biggest missed opportunities of this generation, campaign was OK although it didn't really feel like Max's story the mechanics held up well. The weapons have zero character and the multiplayer is simply **** horrible, why bother putting it in if youAm I the only one who thinks this is a let down? While all the fanboys piss themselves cooing over MP3 I cant help but feel this is one of the biggest missed opportunities of this generation, campaign was OK although it didn't really feel like Max's story the mechanics held up well. The weapons have zero character and the multiplayer is simply **** horrible, why bother putting it in if you don't mean it? seriously half arsed attempt and a travesty to us real Max Payne fans, the best part of the game was the original theme at the start screen. Brazil? really? Expand
  54. May 22, 2012
    Rockstar have delivered the first full circle great game of the year. 2012 has been a bit of a disappointment thus far and largely due to reboots and sequels falling flat, but Rockstar brings the Payne and brings it hard. This is not exactly the Payne we remember but realistically it shouldn't be because much like the era of the originals, that part of Max and our lives is gone but canRockstar have delivered the first full circle great game of the year. 2012 has been a bit of a disappointment thus far and largely due to reboots and sequels falling flat, but Rockstar brings the Payne and brings it hard. This is not exactly the Payne we remember but realistically it shouldn't be because much like the era of the originals, that part of Max and our lives is gone but can never be forgotten. Max reminds us through his tortured narrations that the past clings to him much like our love for the first two installments of this series. Rockstar's fantastic talent in story telling allows those who are open minded to realize that this is Max ten years older, ten years deeper in his regret, and with about ten years worth of painkiller addiction in his blood. Taking place this time in sunny on the outside Sao Paulo Brazil, where Max is trying to start over, or at least gain a bit of personal self worth back. Leaving behind the snow, black sky, and LSD laced alleyways we all remember, Max just wants to work without having to care. He wants to get fat and drink himself to death, but as any Payne fan knows Max is a bit of a punch line when it comes to life. He begins with what should be an easy job, to protect a wealthy family with endless booze on hand. Simple enough, go to a few fancy places with the VIP's of the city, tolerate a bit of the life styles of the rich and famous and earn some easy money. Well the joke setting up the punch line enters in no time and with it a storm of violence, confusion, and a whole lot of bullets. Someone wants the family under Max's care dead it seems. At first it is as simple as thug kidnappings, ransom perhaps, but it seems early on that Max just may be thrown into another hell hole of nightmares and pain killers. There is more to it than anyone saw coming. That is all I will say about the plot because I do not wish to spoil anything at all. Max Payne 3 is a fantastic shooter showing that Rockstar cared what they were building and put tons of detail into the mechanics, everything from movement, to injuries, to blood spray are all impressive. This is the most linear creation under Rockstars name in years if not ever, but fear not, it works. They are masters of the open world proven time and time again, so the thought of a linear title is interesting. After all they did not single handily create the first two games. But if Grand Theft Auto is a playground for your story to develop, think of Max Payne 3 as a steel roller coaster, with sharp turns, drops, and twists, all from a single point of view. Also unlike the Grand Theft Auto games the story is driven at a fast pace and loaded to the brim with lengthy cut scenes. This game is not afraid to lower your weapon and give you some cinematic bang for your buck. It is heavily story driven from start to finish. The cut scenes are worth mentioning as well, as they differ from past installments. No longer do we watch a comic book noire style but instead watch full movement cinematics moving forward in a surreal and dream like nature. The hue will change, images will cross fade into each other, and often images become panels similar to comics. It may even take a bit to get used to, and will not be for everyone. This game is not without flaws but they are minor and never spoil the experience. Slight screen tearing in the sky, sometimes annoying cover system, strict checkpoints and occasional audio skips, but nothing game breaking. The story is not the most original thing we have ever seen but it is defiantly intriguing and worth finishing. Gone are the classic nightmares and sense of awkward eeriness that haunted the first two games but this is hardly a flaw, as the game does not wish to mimic the first two and as aforementioned is treating Max as well as the players ten years older. The game borrows inspiration from shooter classics such as Uncharted, and players will notice, but unlike Uncharted this is nothing but a shooter, there are no puzzles involved but there are collectable items that enhance the story. All in all a great game complete with a great and quite appropriate take on multilayer that works wonderfully with the games mechanics, setting and Max's signature bullet time which has never been better. It has been a long time wait, and aside from the game not being terribly long and possibly learning to swallow the fact this is Max in a new direction it was worth it. It may at times blend in with other shooters but it wont be long before you stumble on something separating it completely. Other shooters have a right to be jealous of Max Payne as it raises the bar in 3rd person shooter story telling and delivery. Its different but its unmistakably Max and unmistakably Rockstar. At the end of the day this is how Payne is suppose to feel. Expand
  55. May 21, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is just plain ol fun if ya ask me. I wasn't gonna buy this game.. Due to my lack of interest in Rockstar.. But I decided it was worth it after waiting all this time to atleast give it a shot. Multiplayer is extremely addictive and a whole lot of fun. I've already spent hours rising up in the ranks. Only thing it's missing is an end kill cam like in COD. It'd be nice to see theMax Payne 3 is just plain ol fun if ya ask me. I wasn't gonna buy this game.. Due to my lack of interest in Rockstar.. But I decided it was worth it after waiting all this time to atleast give it a shot. Multiplayer is extremely addictive and a whole lot of fun. I've already spent hours rising up in the ranks. Only thing it's missing is an end kill cam like in COD. It'd be nice to see the last person killed. Shooting mechanics are about the same as always. Story is good. Graphics are amazing with only a few glitches here and there. Excellent game. Expand
  56. May 19, 2012
    I picked up Max Payne 3 today along with Starhawk, two games i had eagerly anticipated.

Starhawk, as soon as i picked it up and played it, i felt it was incredible, graphically brilliant, and so different to the normal online shooter. Teamwork really comes into play by providing turrets, transport bays and other little bonuses for your team. Max Payne 3 however, is awful, at least online... I played it for about a good hour and it just feels horribly sluggish, the aiming system is absolutely atrocious worse than any game ive ever played. Ive played every single Rockstar game and loved them, im a huge GTA fan, and while i didnt come here expecting GTA, i came here expecting a solid reliable game which wont irritate me when playing. The graphics on Max Payne 3 are undeniably brilliant, and i wont contest that the Story may be fantastic too, but as far as online goes, It feels like an old version of modern warfare 2 mixed with a poorly remade RDR aiming system. Whoever said the shooting mechanics on MP3 are great, is a liar, because they are far too slow, especially when looking down your gun.
    Ill keep playing this game to see if it grows on me, but as an avid Rockstar fan and a game that was rated 9/10 by IGN, should it really have to grow on a player? No, Of the two, id rather have spent my money solely on Starhawk
  57. May 29, 2012
    Story - 5
    Design - 6
    Gameplay - 7. Controls - 2. Graphics - 9. Sound - 8 ALL SCORES ARE BASED ON THE PS3 VERSION Max Payne 3 is an alright game, however if you want to get the best experience from it, buy it on the PC. Lets face it, for a game in which the sole mechanic is 3rd person shooting, and who's gameplay relies heavily on using bullet time to aim precisely, Rockstar have severely
    Story - 5
    Design - 6
    Gameplay - 7.
    Controls - 2.
    Graphics - 9.
    Sound - 8
    ALL SCORES ARE BASED ON THE PS3 VERSION

Max Payne 3 is an alright game, however if you want to get the best experience from it, buy it on the PC. Lets face it, for a game in which the sole mechanic is 3rd person shooting, and who's gameplay relies heavily on using bullet time to aim precisely, Rockstar have severely dropped the ball in the controls department. When it comes to the PS3, the controls are just too unresponsive and lack the fluidity needed in a game like this. It feels almost as if it was a port of the GTA control scheme, which is fine for GTA, but not here. In a Max Payne game you need to be able to aim and shoot, and on the PS3 you cant.

Moreover the control scheme itself is entirely counter intuitive. Not only can you not change the buttons on the controller to suit your play style, you are forced into choosing one of only 4 different control set-ups which don't differ enough to cover all the bases and play styles out there. If you don't believe me try making reload the square button and triangle the button for take cover. It cant be done!

My other major gripe is the story and art design. Don't get me wrong, the game looks beautiful, and the story line has a great sense of atmosphere and dialogue, setting and characters. The problem is though, that as good as all of this is, it just doesn't seem like a Max Payne game, and ill tell you why. The Max Payne series was always about more than guns, bullet time, crooks and vulnerable women. It was about it's titular character. Max was a cop, a good cop who lost his family in a tragic set of circumstances. Nonetheless he always stayed true to his policeman roots. His role was as protector and detector. He sought out the reasons and causes for what was happening around him and he didn't take no for an answer. It wasn't money that spurned him, but justice and love for what he had lost.

And then there is the film noir or neo noir genre that gave the series it's look and feel. The story, design, artwork, setting and characters all were born out of and coincidentally added something to that particular genre.

All of these things however, seem somehow lost on both the creative minds at Rockstar and the game itself. Sao Paulo doesn't lend itself well to the film noir genre with all of its sun and colour, and the criminally minded characters that seem to appear in every Rockstar game don't cut the mustard when compared to the first two games. Most importantly Max goes from a skinny, hard boiled, mild mannered, polite, but tortured policeman with a thing for saving women and cracking down on drugs, to a drug addicted, fat, bald, potty mouth Bruce Willis look-a-like with a penchant for getting women killed. I'm sorry, but do you really expect me to believe that Max got addicted to painkillers despite the fact that his greatest love in life was killed as a result of drug related violence?......I don't think so buddy, not by a long shot.

I have to admit, Max Payne 3 IS a good game, it's just not the game i was expecting from the Max Payne franchise, nor the one i think is deserving of the Max Payne 3 logo. As a result it is definitely the weakest of the three games and the farthest from the mark.

Final score is 6/10 - Good, but not great.
  58. May 27, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is not a bad game. It is a very cool game much like Reservoir Dogs is a very cool movie. My frustration with this game is the very cool movie never changes. From one scene to the next, all very cool, and the narration Max provides keeps the player much in the mind and character of Max, but it is shoot your way through a nightclub, shoot your way through a marina, shoot your wayMax Payne 3 is not a bad game. It is a very cool game much like Reservoir Dogs is a very cool movie. My frustration with this game is the very cool movie never changes. From one scene to the next, all very cool, and the narration Max provides keeps the player much in the mind and character of Max, but it is shoot your way through a nightclub, shoot your way through a marina, shoot your way through a market.
    People expect too much from the Rockstar studio. I do. They have that back catalogue that reeks of brilliance. I remember being dumbstruck by hitting a garbage can in a car I drove in GTA4. The bin went to topple, then steadied, then loosened again enough to hit the sidewalk. This sort of dynamic was beyond the RAGE engine.
    So, is it fair to to compare MP3 to other titles from the studio stable? If they produce it and release it, sure.
    To return to poor old Max, I felt almost guilty for pushing his broken ass further into the hooded desperation of San Paulo. He clearly wished to stay at a bar and will remind you at every opportunity. And unfortunately, whatever the next mission is, it will be as similar as the last and similar as the next. The graphics are awesomely good, and the game economy of ammo/ painkiller health restorations/ pickups are very well metered, but deviate from Max starts here- shoots his way to there- cutscene- repeat- it doesn't happen. And Rockstar games are, if it's going to happen, they'll do it.
    I'm giving it 6, all for the artists, the director a zero.
  59. Jun 3, 2012
    Pretentious design and story, clunky aiming, lagging multiplayer, stupid cover based shooting, worthless bullet time, unskippable cut scenes. And no Mona Sax. Welcome to Max Payne 3.
    This turned out to be quite the disappointment. That's two in a row from Rockstar, as far as I'm concerned. The other one being LA noire.
    One thing is sure. This is no Red Dead Redemption, nor Max Payne 1-2.
  60. Jul 12, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a fantastic game that will be enjoyed by most fans of rockstar games. But if you ar looking for an open world romp like gta you won't get that here its a pretty linear story which takes you on a breakneck ride through brazil I had the game finished in roughly 11 hrs. There is multiplayer to keep you going once you have finished the campaign and I must admit its not just youMax Payne 3 is a fantastic game that will be enjoyed by most fans of rockstar games. But if you ar looking for an open world romp like gta you won't get that here its a pretty linear story which takes you on a breakneck ride through brazil I had the game finished in roughly 11 hrs. There is multiplayer to keep you going once you have finished the campaign and I must admit its not just you standard tacked on crap it's very addictive especially as it take the shoot dodge from single player and masterfully uses that online. Max Payne is a great achievement and will be a classic for a long time to come all I can say is BRING ON GTA V Expand
  61. Sep 19, 2012
    New game, old formula. Awful control. Almost unplayable with joypad.
    The story seems decent, but the ps3 gameplay is frustrating. Play it on pc and with the mouse if you really need.
  62. Oct 29, 2012
    A technical masterpiece, but thats it. The mood in the game has changed from a dark noire, to a cheesy Hollywood Action/Comedy. The story is hard to follow, and it's just plain bad. The multiplayer - dont even get me started. Like all of Rockstars games, the multiplayer is just plain boring and completely without depth. But I enjoyed the action, the beautiful graphics and voice acting.A technical masterpiece, but thats it. The mood in the game has changed from a dark noire, to a cheesy Hollywood Action/Comedy. The story is hard to follow, and it's just plain bad. The multiplayer - dont even get me started. Like all of Rockstars games, the multiplayer is just plain boring and completely without depth. But I enjoyed the action, the beautiful graphics and voice acting. Just shooting people in different ways will give you hours of fun. Expand
  63. May 29, 2012
    A great game - but it's not Max Payne. Max wore a suit - he was dapper in all circumstances. With a different set of immediate circumstances he could have been James Bond.
    He was cynical but not brutish, hurt but not vulgar. That isn't the Max Payne you get here. Some of the one liners are close - but still too much like "Arnie" and not enough like Oscar Wilde. As for his apprearance - well he's an entirely different man "beard or no beard". Other than being male and having dark hair there is no real physical similarity.
    This is a Rockstar game with bullet time - and a very VERY good game. Scripted (like MP was of course) and with some very familiar gameplay elements. But I just guess I miss the old Max. 9/10 though, get it anyway!
  64. Jul 16, 2012
    This is a really good followup game. Iv played all the Max Payne games and this stays true to the franchise, the grapics, game play and story are good and the decent multiplayer is just the icing on the cake. This game is a must buy if you like shooters and good storytelling
  65. May 23, 2012
    As a huge fan of the original MP3 I was excited to see this coming out and after waiting so long I'm glad it's finally here. Right away I dove into story mode and was impressed by this really great movie like story and gameplay. I was excited to try multiplayer so I gave that a try and 5 hours later I really needed to turn it off and get to bed but I was hooked. There is so much going onAs a huge fan of the original MP3 I was excited to see this coming out and after waiting so long I'm glad it's finally here. Right away I dove into story mode and was impressed by this really great movie like story and gameplay. I was excited to try multiplayer so I gave that a try and 5 hours later I really needed to turn it off and get to bed but I was hooked. There is so much going on that I felt I didn't have enough time with my work week but I made time and cut back on my sleep. I have been so hooked on BF3 and Uncharted 3 that I didn't think I would need the extra time killer but I'm so glad I have this now. I can honestly say that I'm having more fun with this than any other multiplayer experience in a very long time. After being hooked on playing against others I had to try to get back into the story mode and I did and yes it keeps on getting better and now I have a very tough decision each night on what mode to play. I'm pretty selective these days on what I'm buying but this is a purchase that I love do much and really deserves Game of the Year. There is so much content and replay value I will never get bored of MP3 so I strongly recommend you give this a try and you will not be sorry at all. Way to go once again Rockstar! Expand
  66. May 25, 2012
    I'm from Brazil, and the rich details on all levels and favelas is amazing. I don't live on favela, but i know places like that, and Rockstar did ONE MORE TIME a perfect job. Many lessons learned with Uncharted, but MP3 but the shooter on another high level.
  67. Sep 20, 2014
    MP3 delivers great shootouts, probably the best I have ever played. The story is good and the setting is new and fresh. The game fells also like a AAA Action movie blockbuster, with the cutscenes and the bullet time events put in.
    However its to linear and beside shooting you are not doing much. I know its a shooter but every 2 steps you make you have to take 15 guys out. Thats to much.
    Still enjoyed it.
  68. Jul 16, 2012
    I am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried someI am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried some of the multiplayer and let me tell you it ain't bad either. I cant wait to get back on! EASY 10 Expand
  69. May 24, 2012
    For such a pretty game with awesome graphics, it would be kinda cool if you were given more to do than just shoot people over and over again. That's really all you do. Shoot people. Mostly brown people, but it's Brazil so whaddya gonna do. The themes of recovery and relapse are great, but Rockstar has still yet to truly breakthrough the great wall of cliches, which are offered in abundanceFor such a pretty game with awesome graphics, it would be kinda cool if you were given more to do than just shoot people over and over again. That's really all you do. Shoot people. Mostly brown people, but it's Brazil so whaddya gonna do. The themes of recovery and relapse are great, but Rockstar has still yet to truly breakthrough the great wall of cliches, which are offered in abundance especially during Max's groan-inducing soliloquies. "he's a hard boiled cop... On the edge. Mmm... Indeed. Especially if "the edge" is a tolerable cop drama on ABC. Max Payne 3's only real innovation is achieved through the inventive visual effects, which are constantly skidding into vibrant blurs of color, as if in a drunken haze, but these effects have no clear relation to Max's sobriety or, really, anything besides looking really cool. The rest of it has all been done before and better, most notably in Rockstar's own LA Noire' which gave u a lot to do in addition to just shooting people in the face. Max Payne 3 is nevertheless a well made title that at least gives you a lot of what it offers - shooting lots a people. Expand
  70. May 22, 2012
    While it feels a bit weird at first, it's obviously a real Max Payne game, with a Max that's more depressed than ever. It's quite amazing what Rockstar has done with Max Payne 3, Max has indeed hit rock bottom with no other choice but to push forward and it shows really well. Compared to the other games he's alot more cynical, while in the previous games he felt more like a typical actionWhile it feels a bit weird at first, it's obviously a real Max Payne game, with a Max that's more depressed than ever. It's quite amazing what Rockstar has done with Max Payne 3, Max has indeed hit rock bottom with no other choice but to push forward and it shows really well. Compared to the other games he's alot more cynical, while in the previous games he felt more like a typical action hero, now you really feel that this would all be happening to a real person. Life has taken it's toll on ol' Max, but there's no denying he's still as badass as ever, Bullet Time is beautiful, so it's kind of a shame the cover based combat is so much more effective. Don't get me wrong, use Bullet Time right and you can clear out rooms of nasty bad guys but this game is still really hard so less skilled players might be forced into a really defensive gamestyle. Moving on, the style and music is top notch, at first I was a bit bothered by the "static" effects on the screen but it actually helped to put me in Max's shoes, to see the world the way he sees it. And that is followed by really awesome music that makes the experience that much sweeter. Overall, the singleplayer is Max Payne, actually, I kinda got the same feeling I got from Die Hard 4.0, it's new, fresh, still awesome and the weird feeling that the enemies should have known better than to start a fight with a protagonist with such a record... So, to the multiplayer! It's fun, addictive and has really fun game modes, while it can feel a bit off and be frustrating at times it's still a solid part of the package. I'd like to finish off by saying it ceartainly got the Rockstar quality to it, I felt it was a bit too hard making Max's famous acrobatic skills less useful but overall it was brilliant, I give it a 9/10. I played it on Ps3, it looked really nice with detailed environments and great graphics (+ animations). Expand
  71. May 24, 2012
    Wonderful game, gory and enjoyable. I'd never played anything in the series and didn't feel like I missed out on much as far as the story goes. A few too many cut scenes, and the shaky art style can get a little over done, but all in all this is a great game, bullet time is amazing, the story and action are well paced, the graphics are fantastic. The multiplayer is alright, definitely notWonderful game, gory and enjoyable. I'd never played anything in the series and didn't feel like I missed out on much as far as the story goes. A few too many cut scenes, and the shaky art style can get a little over done, but all in all this is a great game, bullet time is amazing, the story and action are well paced, the graphics are fantastic. The multiplayer is alright, definitely not the main sell. Not as good as Red Dead but WAY better than Noire. Will probably make an exception and run through this one a second time. Expand
  72. May 22, 2012
    minus the random glitches and badly timed checkpoints i have to say that this game is incredible fun, the multi-player is without doubt the funnest thing on the game, there is a vast collection of game modes to satisfy your game buds, and the story well although it may start off a bit typical in the long run it delivers a fair amount of thrills and chills.
  73. May 22, 2012
    just finished this game in this morning
    great game ad gameplay and story who can make me feel amazing with this game..

many features has change ond this game from the prevoius version

so this game really worth for play and own
  74. Jun 10, 2012
    Piece of crap too many walking sequences dropping framerate , bad graphics i dont buy this only because its well known title. Search someting better like dragon dogma
  75. Jun 9, 2012
    This game is what im going to judge all of my third person shooters on now, this will be the pinnacle. This game has an absolutely amazing story line, game play,graphics and ending. Max Payne 3 was everything i hoped for. The story is what made the game for me its a constant battle with his past and present and his monologue is drenched in melancholy its such a depressing game and theThis game is what im going to judge all of my third person shooters on now, this will be the pinnacle. This game has an absolutely amazing story line, game play,graphics and ending. Max Payne 3 was everything i hoped for. The story is what made the game for me its a constant battle with his past and present and his monologue is drenched in melancholy its such a depressing game and the ending completes. An easy 10/10 Expand
  76. Aug 30, 2012
    The story was dull and that's the only reason I bought it. It was dark, but impersonal. There was no connection to any of the characters and none of it effected Max. I was also hoping to see some of the bizarre psychedelic stuff from the first two. Sure, it's a much better story than say, Black Ops, but I expected more from Rockstar. The shooting is fine if that's what you're into, andThe story was dull and that's the only reason I bought it. It was dark, but impersonal. There was no connection to any of the characters and none of it effected Max. I was also hoping to see some of the bizarre psychedelic stuff from the first two. Sure, it's a much better story than say, Black Ops, but I expected more from Rockstar. The shooting is fine if that's what you're into, and there were plenty of explosions. Expand
  77. Aug 13, 2012
    I have to admit, I was quite excited about this game. I ordered it from the EB Games website and waited patiently for it to come in through the post. When I finally got it, I put the much-loved Yakuza 3 back on the shelf for a few days to soak in Max Payne 3. I mean, I was holding a new Rockstar game. I know some will argue that reviewers needlessly overhype games, but LA Noire wasn't madeI have to admit, I was quite excited about this game. I ordered it from the EB Games website and waited patiently for it to come in through the post. When I finally got it, I put the much-loved Yakuza 3 back on the shelf for a few days to soak in Max Payne 3. I mean, I was holding a new Rockstar game. I know some will argue that reviewers needlessly overhype games, but LA Noire wasn't made by Rockstar and Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV were brilliant games, so I thought this was going to be as good as them. This just proves that even people who do spend most of their free time examining and reviewing games (check out the link below) can be wrong. In the first ten minutes, I concluded that this was feeling a lot like a generic game as my hype levels plumetted from "holy **** Max Payne 3" to "oh, wow. Max Payne 3". This game, though by no means bad, feels like a lazy expansion on a dead series. Max Payne 2 was really the be all and end all of the series, being absolutely brilliant and even better than it's predecessor, and this feels like it was made to drag in the old fans of the series that were hungry for more while also trying to make a game for newcomers to the series. When I finally played this game, it felt like Hitman: Absolution before E3, where people (including me) were feeling cheated and wanted out old Hitman back. This game is a good game. Just not a great game. I am disappointed that Rockstar have not lived up to their usual standards, especially with one of their most loved franchises that has been awaited by the fans and newcomers alike since its announcement. All of the press releases by Rockstar and all of the pre-release hype didn't really come out, because everyone (well, most people) would have bought it and thought "well, is this it? Is this all Max Payne is?". I remember discussing it with a friend the day after. He was initially thrilled of the idea of me getting Max Payne 3, because he knew he would be able to come over and play it. After I explained it, however, he began to lose interest in the game entirely and began to doodle on his I-Phone as I explained the nature of the game. And, once you manage to get to the part in all the trailers about the fat, bald and drug-addicted Max Payne you are left feeling utterly shortchanged. I thought this was going to be a new and improved Max Payne that I would have learned to love. Instead, he feels like a complete rip-off of Lynch from the Kane and Lynch games. He has the same clothing, the same fatness, virtually no hair and a massive beard while also sporting a drug addiction (Lynch's was the pills that kept him from going on his minor psychotic rampages). And, along with this, the rest of the game feels like a rip off of Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days. Once you get past the first part of the game, you have basically done everything in the game that there is to do. The controls in this game are clunky and imprecise, not exactly what you want for a third person action game, and the aiming system is either the annoying and imprecise lock on system or no proper aiming at all. The lock-on system means that you will be left aiming at the chests of all the goons in body armour. These goons will then move around as you clumsily try to lock in on the guy's head, completely eliminating the purpose of a lock on system to begin with, causing you to go into the Bullet-Time system, which wastes it, so you may as well have included an automatic head lock-on, Rockstar. And the bullet time jumping and shooting doesn't work at all as manual aiming is a completely pointless endeavour that will leave you completely infuriated as you go mindlessly across the battlefield looking for the enemies that blend into the background. This game, I must say, is actually quite hard on easy mode compared to most other games, so there is really no point using manual aim unless you like watching the infinite killcams zooming into your face as a healthy bullet flies through it just for you. But this game isn't wholly bad. It is quite a bit of fun as long as you can put up with living through the cutscenes and all of that. If you can do this, you will find this game incredibly enjoyable and really worth your time. Just learn to shoot correctly...

www.blunderbussgaming.blogspot.com.au
  78. Aug 8, 2012
    I'm putting 10 because it closer to my score for the game (9.6). Max Payne 3 is one of the best TPS you can play this year; its look, its story, its sound, and its gameplay make it overall one of the best games Rockstar made of this generation (second only to GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption).
  79. May 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been playing these games from the start when I heard that a new Max Payne was coming out I was jazzed of the thought of finishing up this story and finally putting to rest all the bad memories in Max/s head. when I first played the game I was excited to see that max wasn't a bald fat guy like a lot of the trailers indicated. although there a few annoyances in this game for the most part it is a solid action shooter that pleases at every turn. the graphics are typical rock star, character models are good but not great what impressed me the most was the detail in the environment. The sound is good, voice acting is spot on the only down side are the NPC's constantly nagging you to progress through the story when you are trying to find clues and golden gun parts. the story didn't really resolve anything for me, and the lack of past interactions in previous games was kind of disappointing I was hoping for more references from MP1 and MP2. The multiplayer is fun but not polished and can leave you frustrated. All in all this is a good game even if you haven't played the first two. Expand
  80. May 17, 2012
    the voices are not translated into another language for a triple A unsuitable.
    I buy a pair of binoculars to read subtitles. I will not buy GTA5 by Rockstar.
  81. May 20, 2012
    I'm only rating this game a 10 for its amazing story mode since its superb and its re playable many times but the online sucks dick at sucking dick that's how bad it is R* ruined the franchise with its terrible online.
  82. May 22, 2012
    Like many I have been waiting for this game for years. The controls leave something to be desired and can leave you downright frustrated at times, however the story is out of this world, into another galaxy amazing. To boot, when the controls aren't leaving you stuck getting shot at because a paperclip is in your way, they allow for the most amazing action sequences. I was mad a few times,Like many I have been waiting for this game for years. The controls leave something to be desired and can leave you downright frustrated at times, however the story is out of this world, into another galaxy amazing. To boot, when the controls aren't leaving you stuck getting shot at because a paperclip is in your way, they allow for the most amazing action sequences. I was mad a few times, but the good parts make up for the frustrations 10 fold. I'm a sucker for a story and have been a huge fan of the series since Windows 98 though. Total bias. 10 out of 10 still. Expand
  83. May 22, 2012
    Max payne 3 is one of the best third person shooter's ever made! I can't think of a better way to say it than that =D Handed my ares to me more than once, but I loved the challenge. Great graphics, good story and awesome gameplay!! game developers should be taking notes from Rockstar, as far as gameplay goes.
  84. May 22, 2012
    There may be spoilers if you haven't played any multiplayer game in the past 10 years If you are still on the fence about this game, actually read the negative reviews. This will be a MP3 defensive review that will add insight into problems other people have with the game. I saw someone complaining about how the aiming system was slow and sluggish. Well in the handy-dandy OPTIONS menu youThere may be spoilers if you haven't played any multiplayer game in the past 10 years If you are still on the fence about this game, actually read the negative reviews. This will be a MP3 defensive review that will add insight into problems other people have with the game. I saw someone complaining about how the aiming system was slow and sluggish. Well in the handy-dandy OPTIONS menu you can change your horizontal and vertical look sensitivity right along with the actual acceleration time it takes to reach your max sensitivity. Explaining sensitivity alone is longer than the negative reviews for this game. The ONLY reasonable issue that someone made was the over-use of effects during cut-scenes (overlay, grunge pulsing, etc)If you haven't played the first 2 games recently you will most definitely overlook the FACT that this is a Max Payne game. The aiming in this game is PIN-POINT. If you have an uzi in one hand and a M1911 in the other and you hold the trigger. The uzi will hit almost nothingâ Expand
  85. May 23, 2012
    Bought this game on 17 may and finished single-player 3 times already. (on normal with soft-aim, hard+free-aim and old school+free aim)
    I'm a pc gamer, but couldn't wait to play Max Payne 3 and so i bought the ps3 version because pc version is two weeks after console release.
    I have played Max Payne 1 & 2 from day 1 back in 2001 and 2003. Now finally after almost 10 years, Max is back and

I have played Max Payne 1 & 2 from day 1 back in 2001 and 2003.
    Now finally after almost 10 years, Max is back and ready to be part in a man on fire kinda story telling.
    It's not only the story line, it's also the visual filtering style from the movie Man On Fire and kane&lynch 2: dog days.
    In other words, there is nothing new in presentation and part 3 is different compared to the first two.
    The so called filtering tries to make it grim and dark, but it comes nowhere near the first max payne games.
    Taking away the comic book feel and making use of continues filtering visuals in game-play and cut-scenes can become a drag and even annoying for some people.
    I love the filtering stuff, but most say that it's a little bit too much.
    Either way, the story & dialogs are great and the voice acting from James McCaffrey (original voice from the first max payne games) is solid all the way through.

The game-play can become repetitive because the single-player takes you around 10 to 11 hours on medium the first playthrough.
    But like i mentioned before, the story and dialogs are great and combined with situations and raw old school shoot 'em up action, makes it a great experience in and out.
    But to say that it will blow your mind, no it will not do that.
    But what it does, is making sure you have a great time and relive glorious max payne thrills.
    It's almost like a Raven and Id Software shooter with a great story.

As it go's for online multi-player, i really don't get the hype around that.
    It feels and plays stiff like most online third person shooters do. (at least with my first person shooter taste)
    It's not my thing and annoyed the heck out of me because some people shoot with a ps3 controller (in free lock, no auto-bot matches) like it's a keyboard and mouse. (very accurate)
    Next to that, online matches and searching for a match froze my ps3 for about 8 times in 1 hour.
    Single-player never froze my ps3, there were only some very short and minimal audio interruptions during certain cut-scenes.
    Freeze problems in online mp made me decide to put al my time and effort into single-player modes.
    For single-player and extra modes like time attack and new york minute (with leaderboards) i would say it's a great package. But too bad you can't skip certain cutscenes.

If you think the single-player is boring, than start playing it on hard+free aim.
    It made the game a whole lot better compared to medium with autobots.
    Medium plus soft-aim made the gameplay very boring.
    By the way, the single-player gets better and better, you just want to replay it over and over. (at least, thats what i experienced)

Realistic score would be a 9, concidering some little audio issues and freezings during online mp.
    But looking at how much time i put into the single-player, score attack and new york minute i would say a 10 because the game is just worth buying.
  86. May 25, 2012
    What can I say, Rockstar did a great job with this game. The story telling is great, the guns are good and the new and improved bullet time is amazing. The fact that I can shoot a guy in the head and watch the bullet in slow mo hit him in the forehead and see his head explode is ground enough for me. I played the other two Max Payne's as well so I was excited for this and it delivered. IWhat can I say, Rockstar did a great job with this game. The story telling is great, the guns are good and the new and improved bullet time is amazing. The fact that I can shoot a guy in the head and watch the bullet in slow mo hit him in the forehead and see his head explode is ground enough for me. I played the other two Max Payne's as well so I was excited for this and it delivered. I strongly recommend you check out this game. You will not be disappointed. Yea, the cut scenes can be annoying at times and I don't understand the point of the subtitles that pop up during conversation but that's not nearly enough to ruin this game. Great story, great graphics and delivers like only Max Payne can!! Expand
  87. May 25, 2012
    Quite simply, overrated. When we look at how GTA IV was scored by critics it's hardly suprising, a game that took out most of the fun elements from the previously amazing san andreas. So I picked up Max Payne 3 today for £40 assuming that it would be outstanding based on the reviews I've seen, and not quite knowing what to expect. I created an account just to bring some senseQuite simply, overrated. When we look at how GTA IV was scored by critics it's hardly suprising, a game that took out most of the fun elements from the previously amazing san andreas. So I picked up Max Payne 3 today for £40 assuming that it would be outstanding based on the reviews I've seen, and not quite knowing what to expect. I created an account just to bring some sense into the equation. So, problems, where to start... - Gameplay - Is this Max Payne 3 or Uncharted because it's essentially the same game, same shooting mechanics, cover system and in general just the same appearance. Albeit without the puzzles and the more fascinating scenery. Oh and games that don't focus mainly on stealth shouldn't perhaps have stealth at all - apparently shooting a guard with a silencer would alarm an entire base/trigger an instant flare - how could you even include that?

- Plot - So far having finished part 1 of the story, I have taken out a small army, I don't quite know why but I have. Presumably this is down to the fact that the people I'm working for are about as useful as a chocolate fire guard and have security systems that fail when under attack (what a suprise). Why do they need money (trying to avoid spoiler but you catch my drift) just sell all their frickin speedboats for crying out loud... Plus, the enemy seemingly has enough military power to take on most of europe. The predictability is laughable, me and a friend sat there going "let me guess you have to escape the burning building", "the floor's gonna collapse" etc.

Difficulty - I play a lot of games, and I mean a lot, therefore I didn't hesitate too much to select hard mode. What a mistake that was, not very generous checkpoints, useless cover that's cardboard-esque in places and the ability to get one shot killed on full health, really? NO REALLY? If you're lucky you can fall in slow mo, trying to take out the guy that shot you to save your own ass, but that's hardly helpful when the cover you're trying to use is in the way for crying out loud! *Controller Put Down*

Controls - Combine the above difficulty with clumsy controls and character movement and you've got serous problems. What is wrong with square been reload? Huh? Or L1 for aim? Of course square is cover on this game, so everytime I want to reload I leap out of cover and boom! Oh I died again, I'm not suprised look how many soldiers I'm fighting off... Oh and when I want to die I can't because of the slow motion death crap, like when a guard sees you through a wall and you think I'll give up now because I don't have the health nor the ammo for this ****.

Character - Having not played a Max Payne game before perhaps I've missed out on important character development, but so far I feel nothing for this guy at all. He goes out shoots a load of guys, gets back to his crummy appartment, drinks till he throws up, goes to bed then does it all again, and doesn't stop moaning. Cheer up! You've survived almost certain death on numerous occasions! .This brings us nicely onto...

Dialogue - The main character Max, really grates on me, as do many of the others when you're looking round in an area for various collectibles and all you can hear is "I was meant to be going after the girl, but I was more concerned about my scotch" or "Come on max geta a move on". Can you please F*** Off!! Jeez.

So, I suppose you're thinking wow, you'd still give it a 6 though? Well yes, because there's still time for it to improve (I hope) it's not terrible but there's definitely better games out there so be warned. Some elements of the game are ok but so far I've not been wowed, the game's flaws are what seperate it from been considered a PS3 great.
  88. May 26, 2012
    This game is amazing and I would very much like to give it a 10.I love the matrix style shooting , the attention to detail and realism in how the characters react to being shot , dependent on where a bullet strikes them.The injuries and related gore are also extremely realistic.

However I am not giving the game a 10 based on one factor alone.The shooting gets a little old and repetitive after the first 2 or three hours of game play.The story telling is engrossing and it is almost a relief to get to the story sections to break the monotony of the shooting.

That being said I did enjoy playing the game in smaller sessions and it was always satisfying to come back to the bullet ballet after a leave of absence.

So in summary , more variety in the game play department would have made this game a classic.However , no other shooter does shooting as well as Max Payne does and the story telling is great.So I think a 9 is a fair score.Another Rock Star success.
  89. Feb 21, 2013
    Boring game. Overrated. Doesn't do anything new. Narrative is lame.
  90. Jun 6, 2012
    I don't know why this game hasn't get a higher score From the critics, like another member said, I only create this account to write my opinión. In only four words I'm gonna said, every time I play this game I constantly think: OMFG!
  91. Jun 7, 2012
    Unplayable. As in, I bought it and after about three hours' play I've given up. Controls are sluggish and unsatisfying. Bullet time is no longer relevant eg firing at opponents 100m away. Gunplay is soupy (eg no aiming function) and there's no hand combat even though you often find yourself tripping over bad guys. Just baffled about what kind of game this is meant to be. Also, Max isUnplayable. As in, I bought it and after about three hours' play I've given up. Controls are sluggish and unsatisfying. Bullet time is no longer relevant eg firing at opponents 100m away. Gunplay is soupy (eg no aiming function) and there's no hand combat even though you often find yourself tripping over bad guys. Just baffled about what kind of game this is meant to be. Also, Max is now cast as a saggy, grumpy middle-aged man... if I'd wanted that, I could have just looked in the mirror. Expand
  92. Jun 10, 2012
    Soundtrack is Good and credits song is awesome 10/10
    Multiplayer is so fun 10/10

Max Payne 3 10/10
  93. Jul 11, 2012
    My first review was crap so lets take 2. I believe Max Payne 3 is an amazing game. It brings a hero who while rich with what feels like real emotion and drive, shows you this hero is definitely not a role-model. He's down to earth and fills every wrong decision he's made with a drink, a pill and a bullet in another mans head. The game shows that Max is a **** Every shot feels brutal andMy first review was crap so lets take 2. I believe Max Payne 3 is an amazing game. It brings a hero who while rich with what feels like real emotion and drive, shows you this hero is definitely not a role-model. He's down to earth and fills every wrong decision he's made with a drink, a pill and a bullet in another mans head. The game shows that Max is a **** Every shot feels brutal and you feel Max's Pain. That is in the singleplayer mode. I personally believe more developers should make storys as this game makes its story, the complete opposite of a fairytale. Those who say that this isn't Max Payne have not played it. Seriously. It is Max Payne and I can promise you that. There is not a single part of the story and gameplay that made me think of any rockstar game. So we can put those rumors to the side.
    Multiplayer is amazing. Seriously easy to get into and plays smoothly. I recommend this game for every person. Max fan or not.
  94. Jul 19, 2012
    Easily one off the best games of this console generation. To me, Max Payne is the definition of a linear, story focused game done right. The controls are excellent, graphics are great, the presentation blew me away, and the ending was just done beautifully. It really doesn't get much better.
  95. Jul 10, 2012
    Max Payne 3 has a brilliant story, gorgeous graphics, great to multplayer, good dub portugues.A Rockstar not fail to bring Max Payne 3 game with a few defects as São Paulo does not depict a real 100%, I live in São Paulo for 15 years and I've never seen someone who has brain into the river groupie besides Max Payne, this and a few aspects of the rebuilding of São PauloMax Payne 3 has a brilliant story, gorgeous graphics, great to multplayer, good dub portugues.A Rockstar not fail to bring Max Payne 3 game with a few defects as São Paulo does not depict a real 100%, I live in São Paulo for 15 years and I've never seen someone who has brain into the river groupie besides Max Payne, this and a few aspects of the rebuilding of São Paulo that failed but is an excellent game that makes you want more. Expand
  96. Jun 2, 2013
    Cool game. Nice story and with nice story telling. I liked Max Payne character. He's kinda funny even when he's totally screwed :).
    I hated all controller types But this my preference. It took me too much time to get used to it.
    Another thing, Trophies are so hard to get. And it's just stupid to ask me to play the game at least 3 or 4 times to get a platinum trophy. And yes trophies are part of my review to any games. It's the only rewarding system to your profile.
    Still being hard to get most of the trophies makes your proud of them But most of them are hard and bronze
  97. Jul 21, 2012
    Waaaay overrated. Metacritic and other reviewers are the reason I keep buying these latest so-called 'AMAZING' Rockstar games and they end up being so simplistic and lacklustre. I was a BIG fan of Max Payne on PC back in the day and I dug the 2nd game just as much... but considering what is possible with today's technology Rockstar has really let me down. They keep adding in gimmicks likeWaaaay overrated. Metacritic and other reviewers are the reason I keep buying these latest so-called 'AMAZING' Rockstar games and they end up being so simplistic and lacklustre. I was a BIG fan of Max Payne on PC back in the day and I dug the 2nd game just as much... but considering what is possible with today's technology Rockstar has really let me down. They keep adding in gimmicks like glitchy special effects, facial effects and whatnot but fail to provide jaw dropping moments. I don't want to compare this to Red Dead Redemption because this seems like an IP they just picked up in lieu of a larger title--or something to make more money before Red Dead Revolution or Grand Theft Auto 5. Considering those two titles are in development I think we know where the talent went. Overall I'm just disappointed. Sure it has slo-mo, painkillers, double guns... but we've seen this before. The only thing we haven't seen is Max in the sun--so If I wanted to see a drunken, middle-aged cop in the sunshine I would turn on Die Hard: With A Vengeance or that terrible take on The Punisher with Thomas Jane (I used to think Max Payne was more like the Punisher--War Zone is probably the closest). He's just SO out of place and the story just isn't interesting because the people you are trying to save have little to no connection to Max personally. In summary, this is one example of another VERY overrated Rockstar title... Expand
  98. Aug 7, 2012
    This isn't anything mindblowingly new to fans of the Max Payne series, but in my opinion this is the best game of the series now. It's a game that while not an all time great or anything is still one of the better games of this generation. The 3rd person shooter's mechanics are very well done, and the story to the game is also interesting. Overall, it's a fun game without any major flaws.
  99. Oct 9, 2012
    Let me just start of by saying Max Payne 1, and 2 where my favorite games of all time and i was so looking forward to the release of this game and got it on release date. I was so disapointed. You don't feel like Max anymore it just feels like a regular old shooter. The shooting is good don't get me wrong, but this game would only be good for people who havent played the old Max paynes. ILet me just start of by saying Max Payne 1, and 2 where my favorite games of all time and i was so looking forward to the release of this game and got it on release date. I was so disapointed. You don't feel like Max anymore it just feels like a regular old shooter. The shooting is good don't get me wrong, but this game would only be good for people who havent played the old Max paynes. I loved in the old games running around dark broken down motels killing people. The game was dark, almost like a thrilled shooter. This game is more like going around shooting up a whole army of people in a country trying to find someone. It reminds me more of the film Taken than Max Payne. overall good shooting realistic game though Expand
  100. Oct 30, 2012
    the best game of the year oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1. Jul 9, 2012
    An engaging story, extremely satisfying shoot-outs phenomenal graphics turn Max Payne 3 undoubtedly into one of the best shooters of 2012. It's a shame that Rockstar doesn't seem to know where to place their checkpoints.
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    Max Payne 3 brings back the depressed and trigger-happy former cop, in a new and surprisingly entertaining chapter of his life. Rockstar has brought the story to São Paulo, equipped Max with a few new tricks and made everything look a bit more polished and updated. The addition of a well-rounded multiplayer proves to be a stroke of genious that adds loads of extra hours of fun gameplay.
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an excellent farewell, but ultimately it's not as relevant as it was in the past. It has nothing to teach to the "new" shooters.