8.7

1. Jul 9, 2015
    Disclaimer* I know most people aren't going to agree with me and think i'm trolling, but this is my honest opinion. And just a heads up, this review is also about both MG4 and MG3.

I have played the third and the fourth installment of this franchise and for the longest time, i just didn't get why people loves this franchise so much. And to be completely honest with you, i think this

And to be completely honest with you, i think this entire franchise is simply awful in every way possible.
    Why you my ask, well let my break it down for you.

First lets start off with the story.

It's way to freaking complicated.
    Call me stupid or what ever, but i wasn't able to follow along with any part of the story.
    And the main reason for that is the cut-scenes are way to **** long! Every time somebody starts talking, i immediately notice the completely terrible voice acting, the god awful script, and bad pacing in the story.
    Every cut-scene almost made me fall asleep.
    The main character sounds so off, like the voice actor was trying too hard. It almost reminded me of Christian Bale's Batman voice. The worst part of his voice that is.
    It's all so very cringe worthy, when the characters are talking like they have to say every emotion possible.
    Making all kinds of awkward stuttering noises all the time, which makes the dramatic moments fall flat on it's face. Like they are forcing an emotion that they clearly want the player to feel, even though we all **** know what is happening on the screen. We used our freaking eyes. That's 50% of the dialog making "huh" and "hmmmmm" noises. Just **** stop it already!
    The story also interrupts the game-play constantly, And by constantly i mean all the **** time. Just when they are teasing you with a little bit of game-play, *BIiiib biiib*
    And you have to listen to this moron explaining every **** detail about every mechanic the game has to offer.
    (Why can't i just find out about some of that **** by my self huh?)

There is all so a lot of filler with overreacted motions from the character, Like at the beginning of snake eater when he lands after jumping out of the plain, him landing in that ridiculously cringe worthy pose, and stretching it out for like 10 sec.. Wh.. why????? Why do you have to make it so freaking stupid?!

Second, the game-play (Mostly aimed at Snake Eater.)
    It's just way to basic when it comes to combat.
    Go behind the guy, and snap his neck, or shoot him with the tranquilizing gun that makes them fall asleep.
    Crawl around all the time and hid in the grass, or out of sight.
    Don't kill or kill the endless spawning of enemies.
    I don't know man, i just don't find that fun. And don't get me wrong, i love stealth games, (Like Hitman, Splinter Cell, Dishonored etc.) Which i have play many many many many times before through out the years of my gaming life.
    But this **** just feel dated as heck and down right boring.
    It's all so very choppy when it comes to close combat, and aiming with weapons.

But some of the gadgets are really creative, and well thought out. Like the camo suit in 4, and the stamina/food meter or what ever it's called.
    But they never feel like they did anything to the game-play that made it fun for me.

Third, Theme and Verdict.

A big problem i have is the theme of the games.
    It's like it doesn't know what theme it's going for.
    In this game in particular it's trying to be all serious, but it never hit me emotionally in at all throughout the entire campaign.
    For example,(!!!Spoilers!!!) there was this woman that "died" near the end of the game. And the guy who talks to you through snakes eye-patch and that woman had a thing for each other i guess. But it just come out of nowhere, with no build up what so ever in the game. How am i going to feel any emotion if non of these to had any connection at all huh?
    And maybe i missed something, or maybe i just have to play the first two games to understand it, but **** that, people starting out on these games needs to know wtf happened between these to in order for this to work.
    I'm not gonna freaking waist 100.000.000.000 hours of cut-scenes of my life just to figure that out!!

Look, i can go on on on but the think is, i know why i feel this way about basically all of these games.
    And i think the reason why i don't like these games is because i never grew up with them.
    And a lot people who did are praising all of them for that reason.
    They care about these characters, and know every little detail of the story.
    But for me, i just don't give a **** about any of this.
    And trust me i have tried so many times to get in to this franchise before, but i'm **** done trying now.
    Maybe these game just isn't for me, which really sucks because i really wanted these games to blow me away like they have been doing for millions of others.
    But i guess that's just not gonna happen.
    So my final verdict for Metal Gear Solid 4(And 3) is a 1.5/10
  2. Aug 12, 2015
    I look and at the reviews and wonder... is this really what impresses the metal gear solid fans? A tedious, sub-par action game? This is not what Metal Gear is about. What we really have here is Kojima recognizing that all gamers want nowadays want is giant dumb robot battles, cool cybernetic robot ninja dudes, fan service, and comic relief characters? If you want a true metal gear gameI look and at the reviews and wonder... is this really what impresses the metal gear solid fans? A tedious, sub-par action game? This is not what Metal Gear is about. What we really have here is Kojima recognizing that all gamers want nowadays want is giant dumb robot battles, cool cybernetic robot ninja dudes, fan service, and comic relief characters? If you want a true metal gear game spun from Kojima's own personal direction and imagination, play MGS:2. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2015
    it's amazing how a lot of the professional reviewers acknowledge how bad the game is, namely in terms of storytelling and writing.
    I mean, beyond the game having more cutscenes than actual playing scenes, the story in itself just becomes so convoluted that nothing makes sense anymore.
    You also have the worst combinations of "anime" logic: grim ambiance mixed with "toilet humor", action scenes where the heroes NEVER DIE even if constantly out of cover and getting shot multiple times (unless they have cancer or something equally dramatic, so they can end with a long monologue). So you have a mix of attempting to portraying a grim future with nonsensical "action". And mechs vs swords.. let's not even get into that.
    Dialogue is even worse, as everyone is a philosopher and eager to share their generic insights as the great truths of the world. Great for the younger generations, I suppose.
    Another thing that was especially confusing was when they make a shocking revelation, the characters don't react much, only to appear terribly surprised when they go over the same topic AGAIN. I guess this is to make sure that those who fall asleep during cutscenes don't miss everything? So exasperating..

Then, what about the game?
    You've got stealth mechanics that are as good as they were a decade ago, with enemies going from blind to omniscient and omnipresent in seconds.
    Snake, for the legend that he is, can barely climb over a box, so you're pretty much railroaded from A to B, not a lot of a freedom.
    I don't play a lot of console games, and this is a good reason why: aiming and moving is extremely awkward and slow, leading to "battles" that look extremely awkward.

So yea.. I don't know. I remember loving MGS 1. MGS 3 I couldn't be bothered to suffer through the game parts. Now this. How can anyone put up with this, if not entirely blinded by the "coolness" factor?
  4. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly i don't mind cutscenes as long as they are ALL about being EPIC(kojima style) and are very important. The problem however is this game has so many cutscenes where there is pointless chatter about technical details of no utmost importance... considering they are 90% of all cutscenes and that the game is itself 90% cutscenes = tedious game.

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly epic and there were maybe 3-4 cutscenes with this kind of pointless ramblings about sciencific facts. In contrast, this game, the whole experience is like this!!
    I find myself being unmotivated to start after taking 1 day breaks.

Also, the game has turned from being stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to infiltrate bases....into a boring action game where there's too much action on the screen going on at the same time... it killed the whole espionage aspect that I liked the most about this series.

I hate developpers these days, they keep changing things that weren't broken to begin with and end up changing everything I liked about the series.
  5. Aug 9, 2015
    I wanted to buy Metal Gear Solid 4, but where was the videogame?

I tried to find it at a local retailer, but where was the videogame? I tried at a big entertainment store, but where was the videogame? I tried to find it on the internet, but where was the videogame? I got a copy from a friend, put it in my PS3, watched 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes, and I asked, where was
    I wanted to buy Metal Gear Solid 4, but where was the videogame?

I tried to find it at a local retailer, but where was the videogame?

I tried at a big entertainment store, but where was the videogame?

I tried to find it on the internet, but where was the videogame?

I got a copy from a friend, put it in my PS3, watched 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes, and I asked, where was the videogame?
  6. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are stillVery good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are still pleasant in my opinion. Great musics, great characters. A classic and one of my favorites on PS3. Expand
  7. Oct 27, 2014
    While I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean andWhile I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean and well defined game-play, and this one is a mess. The story did matter then, and it's blown out of proportion now. The cut-scenes are uninteresting and absurdly long. Overall I am very disappointed with this one. But I hear many people like it... And while it might be overrated for what it is, you also may easily fall in the other camp of fans, who will actually enjoy the game. I did not. Expand
  8. Mar 25, 2015
    Only two Acts out of five offer interesting gameplay. Stealth options are being increasingly taken away or not needed. I don't mind lengthy cutscenes, but there's just not too much game to talk about. Bad game design galore (Drebin's shop available mid-battles?).
  9. Jun 23, 2015
    when I played metal gear solid 4 I wanted to kill myself by hanging from the roof by a rope around my neck. it also made my brother want to kill himself the only difference is he actually did kill himself. rip. #ripmillsy
  10. Oct 24, 2015
    is gud muvi, weres teh oscar at???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  11. AndrewP.
    Jun 23, 2008
    if there was an 11, this game would get it. just buy it. It's ridiculous that Gears of War would get a 94 and this game would only get a 95... it goes to show you how skewed mainstream videogame journalism is.
  12. ArturoL.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Simply put, this is the first game that actually feels next-gen. There is no other offering in the market, in Xbox, Wii or PC that has the both the depth and instant accessibility of this game. Truly a masterpiece. From graphics to sound, from story to fun factor, from controls to whatever you want: this is an experience unlike any other on any console you will see this year, and the rare Simply put, this is the first game that actually feels next-gen. There is no other offering in the market, in Xbox, Wii or PC that has the both the depth and instant accessibility of this game. Truly a masterpiece. From graphics to sound, from story to fun factor, from controls to whatever you want: this is an experience unlike any other on any console you will see this year, and the rare example where the final product exceeds the sum of its parts. This is the killer-app the PS3 was waiting for. An honest-to-god reason that justifies its price tag (aside BDs). Do yourself a favor and go play this game. Expand
  13. AnonymousMC
    Oct 28, 2008
    MGS 4 is an okay game. While the story is gripping the game play lacks as there isn't enough of it. The problem with this game isn't the game play it's the over use of cutscenes. The story is told with an average cutscene time of 35 minutes. While I love the MGS series this one was a step back instead of a step forward. MGS 3: Snake Eater is still the best in this series.MGS 4 is an okay game. While the story is gripping the game play lacks as there isn't enough of it. The problem with this game isn't the game play it's the over use of cutscenes. The story is told with an average cutscene time of 35 minutes. While I love the MGS series this one was a step back instead of a step forward. MGS 3: Snake Eater is still the best in this series. Buy only if you are a die hard MGS fan. Otherwise you money is well spent elsewhere. Expand
  14. ClaudioR.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Excellent content, a game for mature audiences. It has so many things and options to explore. It may not be open world per se but it still offers a lot of options. Story is deep and you will want to follow it completely.
  15. LuisG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The Most epic game in years, truly one of the best games ever made, that continues pushing the envelope of cinematic, storytelling, and gameplay prowess.
  16. JonasS.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Simply amazing if you went through all the other games in the series... as long as you have a long enough attention span you newcomers to the series will have a blast!
  17. Phillip
    Jun 15, 2008
    This game had me completely satisfied through the whole thing. It was able to convey beautiful graphics, an astonishing storyline and made me feel completely content with it's amazing sound director. Ode to the Snake. This game, will, be on my top ten list of games for all time.
  18. RashadS.
    Jun 15, 2008
    It lived to the hype. Don't be a fanboy, just play it yourself and see.
  19. GaseousSnake
    Jun 15, 2008
    If there was a game I could play forever this would be it. Everything rocks even especially the Metal gear mk 2 he gets an 11.
  20. KyleP.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Personally, the ending was something of a disappointment to me. But to take points away because I personally disagreed with a plot point would be a crime against what is probably the single finest game I have ever played.
  21. MikeD.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This game is epic. Aside from the amazing graphics and solid game play; Kojima has taken the art of video game story telling to another dimension.
  22. MartinJ.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This is a piece of brilliance created by Konami. It has one of the best storylines in a game ever and the gameplay is ultra realistic. I honestly don't know how anyone could not like this game!
  23. Goc
    Jun 20, 2008
    Where do I begin? A perfect blend of everything. The timing and execution of a wealth of various gameplay elements are masterfully done. You'll be experiencing everything in this game; from chills to thrills, maybe even shed a tear or two in the process. Oh, yeah, and bring pop-corn for the long, yet beautifully done cut-scenes.
  24. TimVa.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Simply the most cinimatic and epic game ever made, i am a 100% diehard zelda fan and NOTHING has ever been ever to top that series.....well unfortunatly for Link, i have a new #1 game.
  25. AlexanderF.
    Jun 23, 2008
    This game is one of the best games I have ever played. While being my first proper run through of any MGS game, I had found the storyline intriguing and captivating. However, because of the absurd art style and themes (which I absolutely love), some people are going to be put off strongly. I recommend this game to everyone who owns a PS3, however I understand that this is not the game for This game is one of the best games I have ever played. While being my first proper run through of any MGS game, I had found the storyline intriguing and captivating. However, because of the absurd art style and themes (which I absolutely love), some people are going to be put off strongly. I recommend this game to everyone who owns a PS3, however I understand that this is not the game for everyone. People who are lost in the storyline may want to visit Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Expand
  26. ChrisN.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Wasn't all that great, decent but not nearly worth the hype it got.
  27. RB
    Jun 25, 2008
    I love this game! it's incredible! and one more thing, I Want kojima to direct the metal gear movie!!!
  28. SylwesterZ.
    Excellent...just brilliant.
  29. Jonathan
    Jun 26, 2008
    I found this game to be more entertaining then anything thats on the 360 and Wii!
  30. LeoJ
    Jun 28, 2008
    Metal gear solid 4 is a game that truley surpasses all. The game deserves an 11(IGN), even playstation haters decided to give it an amazing score(gamespot 10). Though pathetic reviewers such as Eurogamer which states that hardcore gaming wouldn't be here without microsoft gave MGS4 an 8. This industry has changed, and MGS4 is a game that will be remembered by all. GTA 4 is nothing Metal gear solid 4 is a game that truley surpasses all. The game deserves an 11(IGN), even playstation haters decided to give it an amazing score(gamespot 10). Though pathetic reviewers such as Eurogamer which states that hardcore gaming wouldn't be here without microsoft gave MGS4 an 8. This industry has changed, and MGS4 is a game that will be remembered by all. GTA 4 is nothing compared to MGS4. Expand
  31. MikeS.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This is quite simply one of the greatest games I've played. It's also the greatest example of "games as art" to date. A masterpiece.
  32. CecilK.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Okay, so it appears to me that more than half of the Users negatively reviewing this game are Halo-obsessed fanboys, who obviously can't understand and/or comprehend the absolutely amazing story this game has. I've played all of the MGS's (excluding Acid,) so I know what's going on and why. I suppose I can see somebody being completely confused just because they never Okay, so it appears to me that more than half of the Users negatively reviewing this game are Halo-obsessed fanboys, who obviously can't understand and/or comprehend the absolutely amazing story this game has. I've played all of the MGS's (excluding Acid,) so I know what's going on and why. I suppose I can see somebody being completely confused just because they never played 1, 2 or 3, but there's a reason that this is the fourth in the series. I mean, come on people. If you're used to games with incredibly expansive story-lines, then you'll probably be fine. If you're not used to the concept of "story" in a video game, (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Halo-fans) then either rent the first three so you can understand the story and become immersed in this wonderful game, or piss off. I mean, don't just rate it down because you can't go around head-shotting aliens for the entire game. Putting all of that aside, I have simply 3 problems with this game. 1) Meryl is too buff. Seriously, it's creepy for a girl to be that muscular. 2) Snake needs to stop getting it on with the ground. The slow-crawl looks way too...odd. 3) Beginning-game is way too slow paced. That being said, I bid you all farewell. Expand
  33. JorgeP.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Undoubtedly the best Metal Gear ever, the best game and story ending ever made. Kojima's Masterpiece!!!!
  34. Nate
    Jul 4, 2008
    Being someone who only played any of the other games for brief amounts of time. I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, this game is still pretty damn near perfect for what it is trying to do. It's the most cinematic and engaging games in a long time. I rated it a 10 because of that reasons. There may be quibbles but any of which are easily forgotten and overlooked. If pure Being someone who only played any of the other games for brief amounts of time. I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, this game is still pretty damn near perfect for what it is trying to do. It's the most cinematic and engaging games in a long time. I rated it a 10 because of that reasons. There may be quibbles but any of which are easily forgotten and overlooked. If pure action is your thing, you may or may not like the game. The action is fast and precise when it needs to be or slow and calculating if you so choose. Play it with an open mind or don't play at all, but don't knock it for going out with a bang. Expand
  35. ML.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Well, the gameplay is rather nice. BUT! There are far too many cutscenes and movies. I really do think I spent more time watching th movies, than I did playing the game. Without the cutscenes, the game is pretty short... I actually feel a little cheated, from them using so much "filler".
  36. PeterD.
    Aug 20, 2008
    It is fair to say that MGS4 is one of the best games of all time. My only complain is that you need to have some background knowledge of the Metal Gear Saga to fully appreciate the story. But all-in-al dont miss out on this one.
  37. AnonymousMC
    Oct 10, 2009
    Dave N:" There's WAAAYYY too many cutscenes!"
    I disagree. I liked the quantity and quality of the cutscenes.
    Dave N: "The gameplay itself is boring!" I disagree. I found the gameplay great. Dave N: "The original games were infinitely better, because they had sensible cutscene lengths" I disagree. I remember the other games having 30+ minutes cutscenes too. Moral of the
    Dave N:" There's WAAAYYY too many cutscenes!"
    I disagree. I liked the quantity and quality of the cutscenes.

Dave N: "The gameplay itself is boring!"
    I disagree. I found the gameplay great.

I disagree. I remember the other games having 30+ minutes cutscenes too.

Moral of the story: Hideo Kojima wanted to blur the lines between games and movies. Did he succeed? According to both negative and positive reviews, he sure as hell did. The problem lies in the assumption that a game should only have a story to complement the gameplay, but why can't it be the other way around? When people say "If I wanted to see a movie, I would've done so", I start wondering why they didn't. This is a game centered around the story and the cutscenes, it's your own fault expecting otherwise. You don't watch a Disney movie and complain about the lack of tits and decapitations, likewise, you don't play a MGS game and complain about the amount of cutscenes.
  38. DavidA
    Oct 22, 2009
    This game is absolutely amazing. If you own a PS3, then you need to have this game in your library. Fans of the series are the ones who will find the most to love about this game. But even if you are a newcomer to the series this game will get you hooked into the Metal Gear mythos.
  39. AnonymousMC
    Jun 3, 2009
    really, people who gave this a low score are either xbox fanboys or have real bad taste in games. yes this game has some faults but when i finished the game for the first time i had to take time out to catch up with what i had just played. i read a review on here from someone giving it a 3 and saying how bad it was only to say that he passed it for the 3rd time b4 giving it away. wow.really, people who gave this a low score are either xbox fanboys or have real bad taste in games. yes this game has some faults but when i finished the game for the first time i had to take time out to catch up with what i had just played. i read a review on here from someone giving it a 3 and saying how bad it was only to say that he passed it for the 3rd time b4 giving it away. wow. really its so bad that u have to play it 3 times? cmon. Expand
  40. Ahseb
    Jul 1, 2009
    This game is so freakin' awesome. I'm so glad I bought it, I'll never, NEVER, give it away. Every time I play it I'm astounded by the graphics, which won this game more Graphical Awards than any other game for quite some time, the story is so in-depth and beautiful, I don't care about the long cutscenes. I'm too busy trying to keep my jaw off the floor This game is so freakin' awesome. I'm so glad I bought it, I'll never, NEVER, give it away. Every time I play it I'm astounded by the graphics, which won this game more Graphical Awards than any other game for quite some time, the story is so in-depth and beautiful, I don't care about the long cutscenes. I'm too busy trying to keep my jaw off the floor because I'm so impressed. The gameplay and controls are the most tighest I have ever witnessed in a game, I swear. And I'm not the only won who thinks so. MGS4 is the best-selling game for the PS3, with over 4.75 million sold. That's more than GTA4 and COD4 (for the PS3). It's also won more GOTY awards than any other game in 2008. Just look at what the critics had to say about it: IGN: "Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this is the game that would merit that score" Gamespot: "MGS4 is the most technically stunning video game ever made" Gamepro: "The Playstation 3 finally gets its "savior", Kojima gets his masterpiece, and gamers get one of the best games of all time. " Anyone who gives this game lower than an 8 is obviously retarded. The above explains why. LONG LIVE HIDEO KOJIMA! Expand
  41. JalexD.
    Oct 2, 2008
    It sounds cliche, but for nearly four months, I have thought of this game as THE greatest game ever. All the amazing things one can do in the game as well as all the amazing cinematics make this a truly incredible game. It innovates even more than previous 'Metal Gear' titles and polishes every single game mechanic to an absolute shine. It's great drama. It's great It sounds cliche, but for nearly four months, I have thought of this game as THE greatest game ever. All the amazing things one can do in the game as well as all the amazing cinematics make this a truly incredible game. It innovates even more than previous 'Metal Gear' titles and polishes every single game mechanic to an absolute shine. It's great drama. It's great fun. It's great immersion. Expand
  42. MGSforever
    Oct 2, 2008
    The graphics will blow you away. The stroy will blow you away. Everything will blow you away. The gameplay is extremely innovative. One level you're blowing up a bunch of baddies in the middle east, next you're traking down a scientist using only your wits, then one level you get to actually CONTROL a metal gear. I swear that particular level was THE funnest level out of any The graphics will blow you away. The stroy will blow you away. Everything will blow you away. The gameplay is extremely innovative. One level you're blowing up a bunch of baddies in the middle east, next you're traking down a scientist using only your wits, then one level you get to actually CONTROL a metal gear. I swear that particular level was THE funnest level out of any game I have played. Kudos to you Hideo Kojima. You have done it again. Expand
  43. AustinH.
    Oct 3, 2008
    What can I say? MGS4 is, in the simplest terms, a masterpiece. The story-telling is simply phenomenal, the story itself and character design is a work of art, the graphics set the new standard in consoles, the sound effects and voice acting are breathtaking, and the end result is THE game of our generation. Of course, the game will have its fair-share of "haters", but as you can tell by What can I say? MGS4 is, in the simplest terms, a masterpiece. The story-telling is simply phenomenal, the story itself and character design is a work of art, the graphics set the new standard in consoles, the sound effects and voice acting are breathtaking, and the end result is THE game of our generation. Of course, the game will have its fair-share of "haters", but as you can tell by the universal acclaim, it's an astonishing step-forward in gaming. Expand
  44. RichardR.
    Jun 12, 2008
    I have been waiting for this game for 4 years, and it has met and exceeded my wildest expectations. Arigato Kojima-san.
  45. BobM.
    Jun 12, 2008
    It's the small things that count, right? MGS4 definitely excells in this and all other areas. From the animations to the way Snake acts, everything is perfection.
  46. TimNA
    Jun 12, 2008
    Metal gear solid so far for me has greatly exceeded my expectations, and the reviews for it thus far on here have truly been piss poor the sheer quality of this game. Edge is obviously a sell-out magazine now after giving GTA4 100% despite the OBVIOUS Fps issues in the game, yet gave MGS 80, GTA learned from hindsight aswell. The graphics, voice-acting, story and game play completely Metal gear solid so far for me has greatly exceeded my expectations, and the reviews for it thus far on here have truly been piss poor the sheer quality of this game. Edge is obviously a sell-out magazine now after giving GTA4 100% despite the OBVIOUS Fps issues in the game, yet gave MGS 80, GTA learned from hindsight aswell. The graphics, voice-acting, story and game play completely immersed me in playing, one game that has actually been able to grab me and force me to play on and on, I can't tear myself away, Immersion is a rarity in games these days. MGS even has comedy in the game to boot, As usual Fruity Koj has added some things in the game that will make you jump up and go "Holy crap i get that". Best game I've played in years, probably the best purchase I've done in my life. Expand
  47. LeonF.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Since everyone reviews it already b4 its out. I'll give it a 10.
  48. MikeG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Simply Stunning, what more can I say.
  49. MikeM.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Simply incredible. This game is a masterpiece.
  50. KritU.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The best game I have played in a long time. who cares if the cut scene is long when they are high quality ones. Who cares if there isn't as much shooting. Do your research "gamedaily" MGS series have never been in FPS gene. My bottom line is, who cares if this is the first and might be the only high quality exclusive PS3 offers so far. It's far beyond the 360's The best game I have played in a long time. who cares if the cut scene is long when they are high quality ones. Who cares if there isn't as much shooting. Do your research "gamedaily" MGS series have never been in FPS gene. My bottom line is, who cares if this is the first and might be the only high quality exclusive PS3 offers so far. It's far beyond the 360's exclusives' qualities combined. Then again, that's only my opinion. Expand
  51. SteveG.
    Jun 13, 2008
    A stellar game for veterans of the series.
  52. FarooqA.
    Jun 13, 2008
    So immense and "COMPLETE" ! I would've given it a 13/10 if there had been an option... no words to express this game, you just NEED to experience it first hand, for crying out loud!
  53. JimB.
    Jun 13, 2008
    The game simply lives up to the hype. I am not a MGS fan from long ago, never played it until recently. This game appeals to all kinds of players, and styles. Graphically it pushes the PS3 to the limit. The storytelling is the best I have ever seen in a game. Finally, the online is simply fun with the automatching making things interesting. If you have a PS3 you must own this game.
  54. JasonS.
    Jun 13, 2008
    I couldn't ask for a better game. Blew me a way!
  55. AnonymousMC
    Jun 13, 2008
    Great game, not quite up to the hype but never was going to live up to it. The gunplay has been vastly improved by adopting the option to use a gears of war or call of duty perspective. The camera is now free to move like in portable ops which is much better and the octocamo is fantastic, so many options on how to play the game depending on your tastes. If you liked the other games in theGreat game, not quite up to the hype but never was going to live up to it. The gunplay has been vastly improved by adopting the option to use a gears of war or call of duty perspective. The camera is now free to move like in portable ops which is much better and the octocamo is fantastic, so many options on how to play the game depending on your tastes. If you liked the other games in the series then you will like this but if hated them then this wont change your mind. Only grumble is with the respawning enemies in certain areas and it could of done to be longer. Expand
  56. Chris
    Jun 13, 2008
    Wow. What an experience. This game was not meant to be a shooter, the main complaint I've seen thus far. It was meant to be one of the greatest stories told in video game history. RPG's don't even reach this story mastery very often (except Mass Effect). The experience this affords can make you smile, laugh, and cry. Just pick it up and see for yourself.
  57. BryanJ.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Awesome new PS3 game! It defines the PS3 because it has such revolutionary graphics and gameplay and it couldn't be a better end to the snake series. Buy now!
  58. PedroS.
    Jun 13, 2008
    An excellent finale for the series. Pretty much exactly what I expect from a new metal gear game.
  59. DanW.
    Jun 14, 2008
    Who needs Hollywood? This game is absolutely stunning.
  60. MitchellD.
    Jun 15, 2008
    One of the greatest games to be released, MGS4 is the pinnacle of video game storytelling and high-octane action. Absolutely brilliant, loads of fun, and heart-wrenching.
  61. JasonM.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Epic on all fronts, possibly the most enjoyment i have ever obtained from a game and that says a lot.. so much fan service and just utterly glorious gameplay... a must own for all gaming fans.
  62. AlexA
    Jun 16, 2008
    Absolutely breathtaking. The greatest game ever created. Kojima has achieved something which other developers can only dream about. The BEST.
  63. Tonydannie
    Jun 17, 2008
    A Masterpiece! The gameplay is great and the action levels are very well designed. But what makes it even greater is how it wraps up the Metal Gear Solid saga! This is "The Godfather " of video game sagas!
  64. WillD.
    Jun 17, 2008
    10/10 Fantastic. The sites / magazines that gave this game 8 are a discrace to media journalisim, they obviously didn't understand the game.
  65. MattR.
    Jun 17, 2008
    This game is amazing. captivating cutscenes where the faces emote and fingers type even in in-game graphics engine. eat your heart out GTA 4.
  66. JosefB
    Jun 17, 2008
    One of the best games that I have played in a long while.
  67. AdamZ
    Jun 17, 2008
    Finished it in 21hrs, the best game ever created full stop. even if u havnt played the other games or it isnt your thing still check it out, its worth it !!!!
  68. JohnnyF.
    Jun 17, 2008
    The game was simply amazing. The story was great, along with fantastic gameplay. The only bad thing was that this was snakes last run. still the ending could only be describe with one word: badass!!!
  69. JohnT.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Any one that doesn't rate this game in the high 90s dosen't deserve to rate games. This game is unlike any thing to date. The detail, sound, and story is untouchable.
  70. MisterH.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Some reviewers have chosen to mark this game down for being designed to please MGS fans, instead of homogenizing the experience into a lowest common denominator shoot 'em-up, of which you can find dozens of on store shelves any day of the week. It's the last of its line, and there'll probably never be another game like this. Bless Kojima for making the game he wanted.
  71. JustinR.
    Jun 18, 2008
    The best game I've played in years. It met every bit of the hype and left nothing wanting, except for it to keep going. I've already beat it twice and will go through a third time, absolutely amazing!
  72. KevinR
    Jun 18, 2008
    This is the greatest game ever made. From its rich and intricate storyline, to its immersive and varied gameplay, every detail is so well-crafted that the player is not left wanting in any area. Oh, and there's an awesome online mode that trumps just about anything else out there. I repeat, this is the greatest game ever made.
  73. RosemaryB.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Believe everything you've heard...well, except what you've heard from those four twats who gave it 80%.
  74. BenC
    Jun 18, 2008
    I haven't been in this much awe since i played Half Life 2 through for the first time (on PC). Absolute perfection, and finally a real reason for PS3 owners to shout out about their console. The gameplay is fantastic, with the best console FPS action i've seen, along with the customary stealth play. The choice is amazing, and the 'over indulgent' cutscenes should be I haven't been in this much awe since i played Half Life 2 through for the first time (on PC). Absolute perfection, and finally a real reason for PS3 owners to shout out about their console. The gameplay is fantastic, with the best console FPS action i've seen, along with the customary stealth play. The choice is amazing, and the 'over indulgent' cutscenes should be described as 'perfection incarnate'. It's obvious that some reviewers cannot appreciate true greatness when it is thrust upon them. Expand
  75. AldoM.
    Jun 18, 2008
    Spectacular, mindblowing and the end of the greatest story ever.
  76. CesarG.
    Jun 19, 2008
    This game is amazing, it's soo epic and an excellent way to close off this legendary series. It deserves every 10/10 score it receives... Anyone who rates it 6 or lowers are obviously xbots that want to rate the game lower... it's pathetic really.
  77. PeterV
    Jun 20, 2008
    No game, no developer compares to MGS4 or Kojima.
  78. RodrigoR.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Pros: great voice acting, nice action sequences, octocamo is just unbelievable, nice control scheme Cons: huge installation and load times between stages, too much cinemas hurt the pacing, the graphics are far from what was promised, enemies still walk like robots, cluttered story for first time players.
  79. JamesP.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Probably the best game I've ever played.
  80. ChristianG.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This game was simply amazing. A true masterpiece, gameplay was LOADS of fun , story line was so unbelievably amazing. Kojima put a lot of effort into it and it shows. Honest can say in the top 3 bets games ive ever played. A masterpiece
  81. Chris.P
    Jun 20, 2008
    The best game I have ever played in my lifetime. Hideo Kojima and Konami should be proud.
  82. PatrickM.
    Greatest game ever
  83. Nick
    Jun 20, 2008
    Absolutely epic. Cannot stress how fantastic this is. Yes it's more movie than game. But what there is to play is awesome. The cut-scenes look great, and really heighten the thrill when playing. At times I almost cried. Not forgetting you're getting the awesome online mode too. Think I shall be happy for a long long time with this.
  84. AnikS.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This is one game to rule them all! The best PS# game of 2008 and definitely worth buying, playing and spending money and time on it. A memorable cinematic game that will make you think how war transforms us into technological savages.
  85. DonC
    Jun 25, 2008
    I've seen many people play it and I'm getting a ps3 just to play it. Keith B., it's called patience. If you can't wait and watch extremely outstanding scenes, how do you play other games with cut-scenes; what more, games with stories/graphics that have less impact(games that are not as good) than this one?
  86. LeonardW.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Halo is utter muck, and the desperation of it's deluded fanboys shines through all too clearly on these comments, as does the pathetic agenda of people who admit to not even owning a PS3, or laughably suggest the piss poor Gamecube 'remake' of MGS1 is in the same league as any of the actual Kojima helmed masterpieces(Didn't even look as good as MGS2). MGS4 is quite Halo is utter muck, and the desperation of it's deluded fanboys shines through all too clearly on these comments, as does the pathetic agenda of people who admit to not even owning a PS3, or laughably suggest the piss poor Gamecube 'remake' of MGS1 is in the same league as any of the actual Kojima helmed masterpieces(Didn't even look as good as MGS2). MGS4 is quite simply the best game yet this generation, no matter what fanboys or M$ bought reviewers try to pretend. END OF! Expand
  87. JRT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Video is great...the game is fun 70% of the time, however the guns are not Supper accurate you have a circle as your pointer with no definitive kill point the circle just has to be on whatever you are killing. I also do not like when you go to select an item it stops the game then you have to scroll through all of your items put the item in the use slot then after all of that you then get Video is great...the game is fun 70% of the time, however the guns are not Supper accurate you have a circle as your pointer with no definitive kill point the circle just has to be on whatever you are killing. I also do not like when you go to select an item it stops the game then you have to scroll through all of your items put the item in the use slot then after all of that you then get to play up to the point where you need another item and you have to stop the game and do it over and over. How many of you can carry a 55 gallon drum around in your pocket along with all of your guns ammo MRE Expand
  88. Tyrile
    Jun 28, 2008
    I've played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and unfortunately didn't have the time for MGS3. But of the 3 i played, MGS4 definitely is the best one. And friends who played all MGS so far say the same. It's simply amazing how this game absorbs you from the first second. Before even starting the game, and just looking at the Menu and waiting for several seconds procures an "epic" I've played Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, and unfortunately didn't have the time for MGS3. But of the 3 i played, MGS4 definitely is the best one. And friends who played all MGS so far say the same. It's simply amazing how this game absorbs you from the first second. Before even starting the game, and just looking at the Menu and waiting for several seconds procures an "epic" feeling. This feeling is carried through the whole game. There wasn't one second I wanted to put my controller away, I could play this game for months to come. The cutscene's never felt too long, I actually wouldn't even have a problem if Kojima would just release dozens of movies with this incredible engine Konami created. There has never been any engine with this unbelievable detail. Rockstar created an awesome engine - Rage - as well, but it focuses on different Details. The gameplay is great as well. The game offers you so many different way to play through the level because of the countless elements options you get offered. The boss battles are so different from each other, and many of them are tricky to master, especially for those who never played a MGS before. The 5 chapters vary widely, and give you a little retroperspective as well. I could go on and on... all I can say to everybody is: buy this game, lock yourself in a room, and play through it! Definitely the best game this Generation so far and it deserves nothing less than a perfect score. Expand
  89. RCJ.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This is the most beautiful and the best game I've ever played. Everyone should try it.
  90. AdamskaS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    One of the best games I've ever played but THE best game I've played this generation.
  91. RogerB
    Jun 30, 2008
    Absolutely the most enthralling cinematic game experience I've played, ever. Addicting gameplay, plenty of options, weapons and equipment to satisfy war junkies, and varied action along with intense character development make this game excel on all fronts. The audio design and visuals set a new bar.
  92. ZeraP.
    Truly an amazing game.
  93. CaidenC.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Amazing game and even more entertaing ending. An irreplaceable icon.
  94. CarlosO.
    Jul 14, 2008
    The best game ever made. It made me feel more amazed by the history than most of the movies i have seen, it has a incredible combat and gameplay, amazing final battle and music and great online. Everybody who didn't liked it did not finish it or played it
  95. RicoD.
    Jul 1, 2008
    Yes its a good game but would being able to jump be too difficult? Snake can not climb a 3ft wall and is nowhere as agile as a Lara Croft. Its a shame the environment is so rigid and not a sandbox level where alternate strategies can be employed. Shoot an enemy and in a minute their gun will disappear leaving the body, bit odd that do they evaporate or something?
  96. JuanF.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Great game!!! I only played a level or 2 on some of the old Metal Gear games but I still loved this game. Before this game COD4 was the best gaming experience I've ever had, but no more. I haven't even played my GTAIV game since I bought this one.
  97. DenarP.
    Jul 24, 2008
    I will be surprised to find someone not liking this game. The feel of epic, as it is the final chapter of a saga. This is really the title that should be praised in years to come.
  98. DavidN
    Jul 30, 2008
    One of the best games I've ever played. It refines everything and truly is a next-gen masterpiece.
  99. BrandonN.
    Jul 4, 2008
    MGS4 in short is a masterpiece that should definitely be played by the fans of the series and non fans should take a look at... a truly epic experience
  100. JoshuaMo.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Mesmerizing from beginning to end, everything about this game just exudes craftsmanship, in my eyes Hideo Kojima is not just an auteur but a creative genius.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.