8.7

1. Jul 25, 2016
    Not for everyone. Be prepared to sit and watch cutscenes. Like a lot.
    Graphics are absolutely godlike.
    Story is **** amazing.
    Gameplay is very lacking. Most of the game is cutscenes.
  2. Jul 1, 2016
    Why is everyone giving this game such a high score? Check out some reviews on youtube and you'll see how inferior this game is to the entire series. The open world is EMPTY. The story is TERRIBLE. There are NO amazing cutscenes like the series is known for. There are only lazy audio cassette tapes that are found throughout the boring world. This is a sad disgrace of the franchiseWhy is everyone giving this game such a high score? Check out some reviews on youtube and you'll see how inferior this game is to the entire series. The open world is EMPTY. The story is TERRIBLE. There are NO amazing cutscenes like the series is known for. There are only lazy audio cassette tapes that are found throughout the boring world. This is a sad disgrace of the franchise name and doesn't come close to how great Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots are. Expand
  3. May 8, 2016
    juego entretenido, con un argumento interesante, como en todos los metal gear solid, te penalizan si no realizas las misiones en sigilo, el argumento se salta bastantes años de sus antecesores, por lo que metal gear solid rellena parte de la historia
  4. Apr 22, 2016
    It is a masterpiece by the end of this legend.
    music, plot, the graphics are really bestial.
    the only thing I complain about this title is that the areas of juegon are very flat are limited that is very bad for videjos of today which is limited whole world can not go to open a clear example is the final fantasy XIII. the gear ps1 and ps2 metal are coarser wing when the areas to
    It is a masterpiece by the end of this legend.
    music, plot, the graphics are really bestial.

the gear ps1 and ps2 metal are coarser wing when the areas to investigate but this title envargo maximum and deserves rate.
  5. Apr 15, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Лучшее что во что я играл и видел. Лучший сюжет,лучшая графика 2008 года,лучший саунд 2008,лучший геймплей 2008 года.11001010100100101010 Expand
  6. Mar 25, 2016
    It's game play is simple and easy to get behind, but Metal Gear Solid 4's lengthy cut scenes and short amount of interactivity make it less of a game and more of a way to wrap up the complicated story line of the series.
  7. Jan 31, 2016
    Simply, an amazing game, a complete masterpiece with a lot of detail and perfect gameplay. Cutscenes are great too. Amazing storyline. Enough said.
    ****10/10****
  8. Jan 29, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots is one of the best games on PS3, along with Last Of Us, and Uncharted 2, and I will explain exactly why. The gameplay, while moderately different, still clings on to the classic MGS1 mechanics. Instead of the square button to fire, you use the left and right triggers to aim and shoot, while using the left and right bumpers to cycle through yourMetal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots is one of the best games on PS3, along with Last Of Us, and Uncharted 2, and I will explain exactly why. The gameplay, while moderately different, still clings on to the classic MGS1 mechanics. Instead of the square button to fire, you use the left and right triggers to aim and shoot, while using the left and right bumpers to cycle through your inventory. Guns Of The Patriots still has the camouflage mechanic carried over from Snakeater. Guns Of The Patriots takes place 5 years after Sons Of Liberty, where The Patriots control the War Economy, where random PMCs do war against one another for no reason other than that the Patriots have ordered them to. This system allows the Patriots to put the war economy in the balance that they think it should be balanced. Solid Snake, who has changed his name to Old Snake, has been hired to assassinate Liquid Ocelot, who is Liquid Snake controlling Revolver Ocelots body. If Snake can finish this last job, then he can live in peace, so he heads to The Middle East, where most of the proxy wars are going on, with Otacon and Raiden, who is now an armored ninja. There is more cut scenes than gameplay throughout your playtime, so be wary of that. Metal Gear Solid fans will be happy because this game is chock full of nostalgia moments and flashbacks to previous Metal Gear games. If you only bought a PS3 to play The Last Of Us, then pick up this game too. Expand
  9. Jan 8, 2016
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Gameplay: 9.5 Fun/Story: 10

A great game with nice movie touch by Hideo. Some of the longest cutscenes ever in a videogame could not be liked by everybody but i loved it. Amazing sound, voices, gameplay, graphics, ... A masterpiece.
  10. Dec 17, 2015
    The conclusion of the game I mean you felt you wanna more but Kojima wanted for a while do other projects. This game is absolutely amazing I know is a lot of cut scenes but is worth it! The 3D camera was something new in this game some gamers didn't like it some like it everything depends of the person. The game started doing kinda "micro transactions model" with fake points to unlockThe conclusion of the game I mean you felt you wanna more but Kojima wanted for a while do other projects. This game is absolutely amazing I know is a lot of cut scenes but is worth it! The 3D camera was something new in this game some gamers didn't like it some like it everything depends of the person. The game started doing kinda "micro transactions model" with fake points to unlock things in the game ~ weapons.
    Definitely worth it to playing to remember the old times!
  11. Nov 22, 2015
    The Metal Gear Solid that shouldn't even really exist. As much as I refuse to warrant the existence of MGS4, seeing as it completely undermines the point of MGS2, it is still a well crafted and excellent addition to the franchise.
    Set five years after MGS2, Solid Snake has aged rapidly thanks to the nano-machines in his system. War has also become it's own economy and an extremely profitable business venture at that. Metal Gear's are now standard military hardware and the plan of the Patriot's is going smoothly. It's up to you to change that in the final act to the Hideo Kojima MGS series.
    Being more of an action game than a stealth game, MGS4 often borders on 3rd person shooter, though the stealth is still there if you're persistent enough to play that way. With near limitless supplies of ammunition and a large arsenal however, it's all too easy just to blast your way through.
    Infamous for it's lengthy, highly detailed cutscenes (as well as the world record for the longest cutscene ever coming in at 21 minutes for the individual clip (part of a larger cluster of cutscenes over 70 minutes in length), MGS is heavy on story and pretty light on gameplay.
    If you're not an existing fan of MGS then MGS4 is a very very bad place to jump in at. But if you're a fan then MGS4 is a game worth playing, even if it only exists because needy fan's couldn't understand the point MGS2 was trying to make.
  12. Nov 5, 2015
    Played through this one a couple of years ago. Its the reason I picked up a PS3, in fact I owned the game before the console.
    That aside before playing it I felt I had to know how Snake's story ended, I had to know what Kojima was going to cook up.
    And cook up is what he did. Don't get me wrong this isn't a bad game, its just as convoluted as you'd expect. In all my years of playing MGS games this stays true to form, I know what's going on but I really don't care. Its hard to put my finger on it but effectively all the 3D MGS games are the same just set in different environments with upgraded graphics.
    To sum it up Kojima is the Tarantino of video games, his early work was his best and what he's been doing recently doesn't live up to his legacy and now he's past it.
  13. Oct 24, 2015
    is gud muvi, weres teh oscar at???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  14. Oct 7, 2015
    Talk about a ride. In the conclusion of Solid Snake's story, I found myself with chills down my spine and holding my breath more than once. Does a wonderful job of really tying the whole series together, and the game play is spot on.
  15. Sep 26, 2015
    This is quite possibly the greatest movie of all time. Hideo Kojima is a pioneer in film-making, right up there with legends such as Tommy Wiseau and Uwe Boll.
  16. Sep 26, 2015
    Excelente Metal Gear, história complexa e emocionante, gráficos soberbos até hoje, jogabilidade precisa,um final simplesmente surpreendente, a unica coisa que falta é um equilibrio entre gameplay e cutcenes.
  17. Aug 26, 2015
    First, the biggest problem with this game: this is hardly a video game. This is a movie. It was thought as a movie, but somehow someone somewhere said "nah, let's make it a video game". To make up for this media trouble they inserted, I kid you not, more than nine hours of cutscenes. NINE HOURS. It took me 20 hours to finish the game, not being a veteran of the series, and NINE of thoseFirst, the biggest problem with this game: this is hardly a video game. This is a movie. It was thought as a movie, but somehow someone somewhere said "nah, let's make it a video game". To make up for this media trouble they inserted, I kid you not, more than nine hours of cutscenes. NINE HOURS. It took me 20 hours to finish the game, not being a veteran of the series, and NINE of those were from cutscenes. This is simply unacceptable. This by itself throws my score to under 5. Doesn't matter if you do every other part wonderfully, if you have NINE HOURS of cutscene you have failed as a video game developer, you are a failed movie director who somehow got someone to give you money to make a video game. This is by far the major and most stupid problem with the game.

Second part, more than half of the rest of the game (that includes actual gameplay) is extremely scripted. Point-and-click scripted. Like, things appear in your screen, aim and shoot at them. And QTEs, of **** course. I didn't almost fell asleep in these parts, but I sure wasn't entertained either.

And finally, the writing. I jump into this game head-first after all the glorious reviews I've read about it never having played another Metal Gear, so I thought this was just random crap put together. After finishing the game (only because I had bought it) I decided to look into the story. So it seems that it's not random crap put together, it's fanservice crap put together. So there's these guys, who are clones, and this guy got the arm of the other guy and so got "possessed" by the other guy, and there are these really old guys, and almost everyone dies, BUT WAIT THIS GUY ISN'T ACTUALLY DEAD, nvm he died now, the **** end. And loosely tied with straight out fanservice, they could have Kojima appear in-game and shout "THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT, RIGHT? LOOK, I GOT IT IN THE GAME!" from time to time. There are a lot of things that happen purely for fanservice reasons. Overall bad story, **** horrible dialogs, 2D characters, jokes on the level of kid's anime and a presentation that takes OVER NINE HOURS OF CUTSCENES to present all this ****

If you are a die-hard fan of the series and you MUST know what happens next, well, play it. Why the **** not. Just don't expect much. If you aren't, stay away from this piece of crap.
  18. Aug 21, 2015
    I cannot believe what this game did to me. It's the first time i cried this hard (i cried like a bab) on a videogame and it's the second time i cried like that (the first one being Breaking Bad's ending). The game has got everything: Great gameplay, excellent graphics, perfect sound and soundtrack and an excellent story. If you liked any of the old Metal Gear games, you'll love this one,I cannot believe what this game did to me. It's the first time i cried this hard (i cried like a bab) on a videogame and it's the second time i cried like that (the first one being Breaking Bad's ending). The game has got everything: Great gameplay, excellent graphics, perfect sound and soundtrack and an excellent story. If you liked any of the old Metal Gear games, you'll love this one, maybe not as much as i do but i can guarantee you'll like it. Expand
  19. Aug 20, 2015
    Amazing game with absolutely no flaws. I can't even think of another game that shines so much in the way of game play, humor and graphics. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game.
  20. Aug 12, 2015
    I look and at the reviews and wonder... is this really what impresses the metal gear solid fans? A tedious, sub-par action game? This is not what Metal Gear is about. What we really have here is Kojima recognizing that all gamers want nowadays want is giant dumb robot battles, cool cybernetic robot ninja dudes, fan service, and comic relief characters? If you want a true metal gear gameI look and at the reviews and wonder... is this really what impresses the metal gear solid fans? A tedious, sub-par action game? This is not what Metal Gear is about. What we really have here is Kojima recognizing that all gamers want nowadays want is giant dumb robot battles, cool cybernetic robot ninja dudes, fan service, and comic relief characters? If you want a true metal gear game spun from Kojima's own personal direction and imagination, play MGS:2. Expand
  21. Aug 9, 2015
    I wanted to buy Metal Gear Solid 4, but where was the videogame?

I tried to find it at a local retailer, but where was the videogame? I tried at a big entertainment store, but where was the videogame? I tried to find it on the internet, but where was the videogame? I got a copy from a friend, put it in my PS3, watched 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes, and I asked, where was
    I wanted to buy Metal Gear Solid 4, but where was the videogame?

I tried to find it at a local retailer, but where was the videogame?

I tried at a big entertainment store, but where was the videogame?

I tried to find it on the internet, but where was the videogame?

I got a copy from a friend, put it in my PS3, watched 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes, and I asked, where was the videogame?
  22. Jul 13, 2015
    Master Piece.
    This is the best game I have ever played. It is.... words can't describe. It's so far beyond anything else out there that there is nothing to compare it to. Just play it.
  23. Jul 9, 2015
    Disclaimer* I know most people aren't going to agree with me and think i'm trolling, but this is my honest opinion. And just a heads up, this review is also about both MG4 and MG3.

I have played the third and the fourth installment of this franchise and for the longest time, i just didn't get why people loves this franchise so much. And to be completely honest with you, i think this

And to be completely honest with you, i think this entire franchise is simply awful in every way possible.
    Why you my ask, well let my break it down for you.

First lets start off with the story.

It's way to freaking complicated.
    Call me stupid or what ever, but i wasn't able to follow along with any part of the story.
    And the main reason for that is the cut-scenes are way to **** long! Every time somebody starts talking, i immediately notice the completely terrible voice acting, the god awful script, and bad pacing in the story.
    Every cut-scene almost made me fall asleep.
    The main character sounds so off, like the voice actor was trying too hard. It almost reminded me of Christian Bale's Batman voice. The worst part of his voice that is.
    It's all so very cringe worthy, when the characters are talking like they have to say every emotion possible.
    Making all kinds of awkward stuttering noises all the time, which makes the dramatic moments fall flat on it's face. Like they are forcing an emotion that they clearly want the player to feel, even though we all **** know what is happening on the screen. We used our freaking eyes. That's 50% of the dialog making "huh" and "hmmmmm" noises. Just **** stop it already!
    The story also interrupts the game-play constantly, And by constantly i mean all the **** time. Just when they are teasing you with a little bit of game-play, *BIiiib biiib*
    And you have to listen to this moron explaining every **** detail about every mechanic the game has to offer.
    (Why can't i just find out about some of that **** by my self huh?)

There is all so a lot of filler with overreacted motions from the character, Like at the beginning of snake eater when he lands after jumping out of the plain, him landing in that ridiculously cringe worthy pose, and stretching it out for like 10 sec.. Wh.. why????? Why do you have to make it so freaking stupid?!

Second, the game-play (Mostly aimed at Snake Eater.)
    It's just way to basic when it comes to combat.
    Go behind the guy, and snap his neck, or shoot him with the tranquilizing gun that makes them fall asleep.
    Crawl around all the time and hid in the grass, or out of sight.
    Don't kill or kill the endless spawning of enemies.
    I don't know man, i just don't find that fun. And don't get me wrong, i love stealth games, (Like Hitman, Splinter Cell, Dishonored etc.) Which i have play many many many many times before through out the years of my gaming life.
    But this **** just feel dated as heck and down right boring.
    It's all so very choppy when it comes to close combat, and aiming with weapons.

But some of the gadgets are really creative, and well thought out. Like the camo suit in 4, and the stamina/food meter or what ever it's called.
    But they never feel like they did anything to the game-play that made it fun for me.

Third, Theme and Verdict.

A big problem i have is the theme of the games.
    It's like it doesn't know what theme it's going for.
    In this game in particular it's trying to be all serious, but it never hit me emotionally in at all throughout the entire campaign.
    For example,(!!!Spoilers!!!) there was this woman that "died" near the end of the game. And the guy who talks to you through snakes eye-patch and that woman had a thing for each other i guess. But it just come out of nowhere, with no build up what so ever in the game. How am i going to feel any emotion if non of these to had any connection at all huh?
    And maybe i missed something, or maybe i just have to play the first two games to understand it, but **** that, people starting out on these games needs to know wtf happened between these to in order for this to work.
    I'm not gonna freaking waist 100.000.000.000 hours of cut-scenes of my life just to figure that out!!

Look, i can go on on on but the think is, i know why i feel this way about basically all of these games.
    And i think the reason why i don't like these games is because i never grew up with them.
    And a lot people who did are praising all of them for that reason.
    They care about these characters, and know every little detail of the story.
    But for me, i just don't give a **** about any of this.
    And trust me i have tried so many times to get in to this franchise before, but i'm **** done trying now.
    Maybe these game just isn't for me, which really sucks because i really wanted these games to blow me away like they have been doing for millions of others.
    But i guess that's just not gonna happen.
    So my final verdict for Metal Gear Solid 4(And 3) is a 1.5/10
  24. Jun 25, 2015
    Following the events of Shadow Moses, The tanker Incident & The Big Shell event, you play as the hero of the first two events. Storywise this is the be-all and end-all of the story, the gripping emotion and characters are what make this game unique as it is, this is for the players who have stuck with the game since MGS1 and atleast MGS2.
  25. Jun 23, 2015
    when I played metal gear solid 4 I wanted to kill myself by hanging from the roof by a rope around my neck. it also made my brother want to kill himself the only difference is he actually did kill himself. rip. #ripmillsy
  26. Jun 8, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid 4 has pretty much everything you need in Metal Gear. Funny moments, Customization, Gripping story, Stealth Action, and the final chapter in Snake's Life. How can you not love this game.
  27. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metal gear. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it................ Expand
  28. Apr 29, 2015
    When it finally let me play, MGS4 was really enjoyable - from a MGS standpoint. Worthy of praise are the controls, graphics and general presentation, and it was a lot of fun - when I was in control. however by this point it's clear that Kojima needs to start showing restraint, or hire an editor. I have only a couple of hours to play a game in the evening, it's hugely disappointing when anWhen it finally let me play, MGS4 was really enjoyable - from a MGS standpoint. Worthy of praise are the controls, graphics and general presentation, and it was a lot of fun - when I was in control. however by this point it's clear that Kojima needs to start showing restraint, or hire an editor. I have only a couple of hours to play a game in the evening, it's hugely disappointing when an hour and forty minutes of that time is spent watching a cutscene, then the game has the gall during one of its extensive loading screens to tell me to take a break because I've been playing for a while. No, I've just been watching cutscenes and getting constantly interrupted by codec calls and coke-drinking, smoking monkeys. Expand
  29. Apr 22, 2015
    Playing it, I felt disgusted by the gameplay, this stealth game? Wretched arcade, compared with splinter cell series. The game is just bad all ... except for some cutscenes
  30. Apr 8, 2015
    the perfect ending to one of the greatest franchises of all time. I have nothing bad to say about this game it was a blast the whole way through. the only thing I will say is if you are not an invested fan of the series or are not a fan of cinematic games than you probably wont like this game because you probably spend more time watching cutscenes than you do actually playing. that's not athe perfect ending to one of the greatest franchises of all time. I have nothing bad to say about this game it was a blast the whole way through. the only thing I will say is if you are not an invested fan of the series or are not a fan of cinematic games than you probably wont like this game because you probably spend more time watching cutscenes than you do actually playing. that's not a bad thing because the story and cinematic storytelling is the main appeal of metal gear solid games and this one just happens to be the most cinematic yet. and when you do get to play, the gameplay is nearly perfect and some of the best in the series. Stealth is not as emphasized in this game as it was in previous entries but the change to a more action orientated style of gameplay works really well and fits the story well. this is one of the best games in the franchise and is one of the best games of its generation. Expand
  31. Mar 28, 2015
    Amazing audio-visual presentation, tight gameplay, interesting but a little dense story makes this a true masterpiece. This is a benchmark in quality, and very few games are like it.
  32. Mar 25, 2015
    Only two Acts out of five offer interesting gameplay. Stealth options are being increasingly taken away or not needed. I don't mind lengthy cutscenes, but there's just not too much game to talk about. Bad game design galore (Drebin's shop available mid-battles?).
  33. Mar 21, 2015
    As a game was so good for that time, i recognize you hat there was better games like GTA 4 and Uncharted 1. But this was really good, i enjoy playing it, the CQC was really cool, the amounts of arms that you can use too, and i loved that you can help the terrorist and pass the missions in a different ways, something that we don't see on the metal gear saga before this game.

For the

For the graphics.....was else can i say, to this date (2015) it's so hard to find games with better graphics like this. By far the best game graphics by that time.

And for the plot and the storyline, another BIG 10 for this. I REALLY LOVE ALL THE CUTSCENES, i remember people telling me if this was a game or a movie.

This was amazing, and because it it's a game it's so much better than a overral movie, he can put codecs to additional information, the briefing flights, etc.

Other thing that i love was that Kojima tried to put the most possibly characteres of the saga, even the dead characteres are mentioned, and put some more like Drebin or Sunny. And we know that in the Metal Gear saga there are sooooooooo many characters.

There are so memorable cutscenes in only one game who it's hard to believe that we will see something like that them, and not to mention the emmotional means for every one of them.

We have the death of Naomi, the Meryl reconcialition with Campbell, The Vamp history, etc.
    We have funny things too like the monkey of Drebin, he Akiba thing, the cigarretes of Snake, the eggs of Sunny.

And we have very deep moments, when Snake returns to Shadow Moses (plus you can play the MGS1 game for 2 or 3 minutes), was the best moment on a PS3 for me, i put the console on pause and i remember when i was a child and play the MGS1 game, and the most amazing thing was that i was remembering everything, that was beautiful.

The only thing I don't like was the bosses, i mean there was 1 or 2 good boss fighting, but the characters wasn't that good like the amazing cobra unit, fox-hound or even dead cell. I love the Psycho Mantis part btw.

But the best reason to considerer this one of the best PS3 games ever, was for the final!!!!.

if you was playing this since the PSOne days, or even the NES/MSX days. Goddamn you wait so much time for that moment, so many years for that **** happen, it's true that was very predictable, but i was soo much deep inmeerse on the game and like we know Kojima, like you don't thing of that, after it happen.

Was very very beautiful. The Ocelot - Snake fight was on the same level too.

10/10 for this!!
  34. Feb 21, 2015
    I would easily give this game a 9 or possibly 10, if not for egregiously overlong cut scenes. This seems like a case of talented game maker and no one reeling him when has clearly gone a little overboard. This how this plays out. You go from checkpoint to checkpoint with about 10-15 mins of actual gameplay (which is excellent). Once you reach a checkpoint you are treated to then 10-15I would easily give this game a 9 or possibly 10, if not for egregiously overlong cut scenes. This seems like a case of talented game maker and no one reeling him when has clearly gone a little overboard. This how this plays out. You go from checkpoint to checkpoint with about 10-15 mins of actual gameplay (which is excellent). Once you reach a checkpoint you are treated to then 10-15 minute detailing you into the story. But the worst part is when you actual complete an act. At the end of the act lies a 10-15 minute cutscene then you have treated to a pre cut scene before your mission brief. Then you are given the mission brief. Then you are treated to another 10-15 minute before the next act starts. Then you must go through your codec briefing with ottocon. If you do not cut out any of the cut scenes you are literally not playing game for almost 30 minutes a stretch at times. Its mind boggling how someone thought this was a good idea. I do not buy a game to watch second rate actors read off second rate dialogue. That being the said the game itself is quiet addictive and all technology gizzmos you get are great..and the story itself is interesting. Expand
  35. Jan 27, 2015
    it's amazing how a lot of the professional reviewers acknowledge how bad the game is, namely in terms of storytelling and writing.
    I mean, beyond the game having more cutscenes than actual playing scenes, the story in itself just becomes so convoluted that nothing makes sense anymore.
    You also have the worst combinations of "anime" logic: grim ambiance mixed with "toilet humor", action scenes where the heroes NEVER DIE even if constantly out of cover and getting shot multiple times (unless they have cancer or something equally dramatic, so they can end with a long monologue). So you have a mix of attempting to portraying a grim future with nonsensical "action". And mechs vs swords.. let's not even get into that.
    Dialogue is even worse, as everyone is a philosopher and eager to share their generic insights as the great truths of the world. Great for the younger generations, I suppose.
    Another thing that was especially confusing was when they make a shocking revelation, the characters don't react much, only to appear terribly surprised when they go over the same topic AGAIN. I guess this is to make sure that those who fall asleep during cutscenes don't miss everything? So exasperating..

Then, what about the game?
    You've got stealth mechanics that are as good as they were a decade ago, with enemies going from blind to omniscient and omnipresent in seconds.
    Snake, for the legend that he is, can barely climb over a box, so you're pretty much railroaded from A to B, not a lot of a freedom.
    I don't play a lot of console games, and this is a good reason why: aiming and moving is extremely awkward and slow, leading to "battles" that look extremely awkward.

So yea.. I don't know. I remember loving MGS 1. MGS 3 I couldn't be bothered to suffer through the game parts. Now this. How can anyone put up with this, if not entirely blinded by the "coolness" factor?
  36. Jan 24, 2015
    How can someone even say something negative about this game. One of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. If you're fan of the MGS series and haven't played this game you have do that, believe me. Masterpiece!
  37. Dec 2, 2014
    I was a huge MGS fan back in the day and this game makes me scared to go back and play them because honestly I don't find the gameplay fun and trying to understand what is going on in the story is about as hard as reading 18th century literature when you're in American high school. The pacing of gameplay to cutscene is terrible. I don't mind the amount and length of cutscenes as much asI was a huge MGS fan back in the day and this game makes me scared to go back and play them because honestly I don't find the gameplay fun and trying to understand what is going on in the story is about as hard as reading 18th century literature when you're in American high school. The pacing of gameplay to cutscene is terrible. I don't mind the amount and length of cutscenes as much as other people but what gets to me is you watch a cutscene, walk down a hallway, and bam; another cutscene. Cutscenes are rewards for completing levels. These cutscenes are like giving trophies to kids who came in last place and declaring that we are all winners. I played about 10 hours. I probably won't play anymore. Maybe I'll watch the rest of youtube so I can have closure. Expand
  38. Nov 27, 2014
    Games this good should be celebrated!

it's a master of the craft simply showing off.

There's so many metaphors and meanings in this game that they begin to mock themselves, mock you for enjoying them then makes you cry when it comes to it's end.

it can be played in any way you want and is still a classic.
  39. Nov 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is not much I can say about MGS4 that hasn't been said already; it is a masterpiece. Yes, there are hours upon hours of long cutscenes and explanation, but for Metal Gear fans, including myself, they are all very fun and entertaining to watch. MGS4 is also one of the most emotional games I have ever experienced, watching Solid Snake go to the ends of the Earth to get this final job done is heart-breaking and makes you love the character even more. The ending is perfect, any fan of the series who has played the previous games, is sure to shed the tear. Rest in Peace, Solid Snake. We salute you. Expand
  40. Nov 3, 2014
    Four letters for this stunningly amazing masterpiece: E-P-I-C. Literally this is the Godfather/Citizen Kaneof the PSN exclusives for PS3. Just play this game or play legacy colelction and then this to get this game fully nonetheless this is a visually impressive and story rich classic. Public enemy pun: BELIEVE THE HYPE.
  41. Oct 27, 2014
    While I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean andWhile I was thinking what to write here for this score, I saw what one of the critics wrote. One called 'Kikizo'. He gave 10/10, but I was totally agreeing with his(her) words: Yes the game settings IS ridiculous and it doesn't make any sense. The acting is also absurdly bad... But then I lost the guy: No this is not MGS I remember (I played only the first one). MSG1 had very clean and well defined game-play, and this one is a mess. The story did matter then, and it's blown out of proportion now. The cut-scenes are uninteresting and absurdly long. Overall I am very disappointed with this one. But I hear many people like it... And while it might be overrated for what it is, you also may easily fall in the other camp of fans, who will actually enjoy the game. I did not. Expand
  42. Oct 19, 2014
    This is by far my favorite of the series! The length of the cutscenes are not surprising since MGS does have long cutscenes in general. Gameplay is a bit more like a shooter and a bit too easy. The story and characters and story are stronger then they have ever been. This game contains nostalgia, good characters, great story, an amazing final boss, and the perfect ending! 10/10
  43. Oct 19, 2014
    Es un buen juego que podría ser muchísimo mejor si no fuera por las interminables y cansinas escenas de vídeo y por el poco tiempo que pasamos jugándolo. Para ser de 2008 es un juego bastante grande a nivel técnico y no se le notan mucho los años.
    Un juego inclasificable y muy friki, que también se disfruta mas si se ha jugado a los anteriores, aunque esperemos que MGSV tenga menos cháchara y mas acción.
  44. Oct 17, 2014
    Una obra maestro de ps3 rejugable 1000veces y nunca deja de sorprender, si tuviera dialogos fuera del ingles seria la gran obra maestra de esta generacion, superando a the last of us
  45. Oct 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WARNING: I will try to keep this review as spoiler free as possible. However, I may give away some story details so, SPOILER ALERT

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good game. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. But is it as good as that Metacritic score of 94/100 makes you believe? No.

Let's start off with the pros. First of all, this game looks great. Yeah some of the textures are a bit off, but if THAT is the decisive factor that makes you go "Ugh, this game sucks", then you need to get out of gaming. Now. The animations are very fluid, the character models are great, and even the lip sync isn't all that bad. Yeah, there are a few instances were you notice that the mouth doesn't move according to the word, but this game came out in 2008. It did a fantastic job with what it had. (Some of) The gameplay elements are worthy of commendation as well. Snake can (FINALLY) move while crouched, and a lot of the problems in MGS3 are greatly streamlined in MGS4. Camouflage is handled brilliantly in this game, with the new automatic OctoCamo system. No more fiddling around in menus in this one. The Solid Eye is also a great addition, combining multiple functions in one handy gadget. The enviroments are (for the most part) pretty creative and well realized, and even like the concept of the story. War has become a business that holds the global economy together, and through war The Patriots have essentially achieved world domination. It's a very good summary. Couple that with some interesting ideas, such as Snake's accelerated aging, and there is a lot to like about this game.

Sadly, not everything is good. Let's start off with one of my biggest problems with the game: The Story. Im one of the people who play Metal Gear games for their story first and foremost. And unfortunately the story does not deliver on a lot of different levels. While some of the ideas are good, their execution is sloppy at best, and at worst it's just terrible. On top of that, there are several plot holes that really take away from the experience. For example, Meryl states that she can communicate with her team through the nanomachines in their bodies. However it is later revealed that Johnny does not have nanos. That's fair enough, but why does Meryl look so surprised? She should have known that Johnny didnt have nanos the mometn she couldn't communicate with him. While we're on the subject, why is Johnny even in the game? I mean, I understand that his inclusion is tradition at this point, but Jesus Christ, he doesn't need to be in the game to the extent that he is. This brings me to another topic I would like to discuss. A lot of the returning characters in MGS4 have no reason to be there. Im not talking about people like Raiden or Naomi, Im talking about the likes of EVA and Vamp. Think about it. The whole point of going to Eastern Europe in the first place is to get the equipement that can heal Raiden. However once you get there, Otacon calls you and says "Oh Raiden is fine. We got the equipement from this completely unecessary returning character, that most people don't even know to begin with. Still, go meet Big Momma, because... REASONS".

Another thing that bothers me big time about this game is the fan service. It's one thing to be self referential (like the previous games were) but it's another to go all out and bring every character under the sun, and make every possible reference, and have ridiculous bits (like Snake going into Eastern Europe in a Young Snake disguise) just to please fans.

Last but not least let's talk about the cutscenes. Before I get started, let me tell you that I LOVE the cutscenes of MGS1, 2 and 3. They are super entertaining, and I never skip them. MGS4 has a lot of cutscenes, yes, but that's not the problem. The problem is how BORING some of them are. Im giving Act 3 a hard time, but it's my review so shut up. Take the final cutscene of Act 3 for example. It is 72 minutes long. That's a very long time, but the problem isn't the 72 minutes, the problem is the fact that this thing could have been trimmed down by about 50/60 minutes, without any detrimental impact to the story. Another particular pet pieve of mine is the final "Epilogue" Act. It takes 75 minutes to wrap things up in a nice bow. The problem is that, by my estimative, it could have been trimmed down to around half an hour.

So overall, MGS4 is a good game. It looks very good, It has some nice ideas, and the gameplay for the first two acts is very "Solid" (sorry, I couldnt resist). BUT, from Act 3 onwards, the gameplay takes a backseat to a poor story and a load of fan service, and it suffers because of it. It's a damn shame, because this could have been the best game in the series. As it stands though, it's a nice "tribute" with a few good ideas.

VEREDICT: 7 out of 10
  46. Oct 2, 2014
    Tengo un problema con esta saga. MGS y Snake Eater me parecen obras maestras, sin embargo cuando recuerdo MGS2 o este MGS4 veo muy poquito de esa genialidad. Hablando de esta cuarta entrega. La mayoría del juego se basa en abusar de personajes de otras entregas, que para colmo vuelven para fastidiar el buen recuerdo que tenías de ellos. Las cinemáticas larga, interminables y muchas vecesTengo un problema con esta saga. MGS y Snake Eater me parecen obras maestras, sin embargo cuando recuerdo MGS2 o este MGS4 veo muy poquito de esa genialidad. Hablando de esta cuarta entrega. La mayoría del juego se basa en abusar de personajes de otras entregas, que para colmo vuelven para fastidiar el buen recuerdo que tenías de ellos. Las cinemáticas larga, interminables y muchas veces pesadas. Momentos de vergüenza ajena o franco ridículo que pretenden ser emocionantes. Y en definitva una película- juego bastante rollo. Con cosas buenas, a veces brillantes, pero con mucha ida de olla de humor tonto y barato, desarrollo lento y pesado. Expand
  47. Sep 17, 2014
    The greatest game i ever played. Gameplay is by far the best in any mgs. The stroy is also the most epic and closes in most of the gaps from the previous games. Cutscenes are long but i'm never bored when watching this. Also making snake old is a great addition since we were use to the prime snake who can kick any ones ass easily with no problem. Overall its my favorite game of all time.
  48. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are stillVery good story, you might be confused if not familiar with the MGS series, don't hesitate to make some research before you play on what happened before this game, the characters...Gameplay is great, you can play through the game with a lot of stealth or just shoot a lot and there is a good choice of customizable weapons. Graphics were great when this game was released and are still pleasant in my opinion. Great musics, great characters. A classic and one of my favorites on PS3. Expand
  49. Sep 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metal Gear Solid 4 delivers a great gameplay and cinimatic experiance for those who are fans of the series. Mgs has a very nice story with amazingly polished cutscenes that are long, but persinally I love the long cutscenes because for me it makes the story not feel rushed and really takes time to explain alot of gaps in the story (and lore) of the MGS universe. The stoy has been taking hit after hit of people not liking the nano-machine explinations for everything, but personally I liked it, it felt right and bang on for the setting and time of the story where technology is very advance and nano machines are used for almost every perpose. For a gamer that poors alot of emotions into games I felt this was a great ending to the legendary Solid Snake! For gameplay it was great with alot of variation to combat. When putting people in a head lock you have so many differnt ways to end your enemy! There are alot of guns, but you may only find yourself using a few of the same but if you choose to use other it can change up gameplay alot! You will recieve neat gear from bosses that you can use in new game+ and are really fun to use. If you are planning to go for the platinum you will find yourself playing the game with alot of playstyles to get all the games emblems which need at least 8 playthroughs. Metal gear solid guns 4 from start to platinum is a blast with an amazingly told story and great stealth gameplay (if you choose to play like that) that will keep you engaged for as many playthroughs as you choose to play. That is why I give Metal Gear Solid 4 a 10/10 as a fan of the lore and series, I highly recommend Snakes last mission. Expand
  50. Sep 10, 2014
    Horrible game. Not much more to say about it really. All glitch and fiddly. Camera angles are horrible, combat is horrible. Storyline horrible and unclear. Hate it. Go play cod.
  51. Sep 9, 2014
    For anyone who has played a metal gear solid game this is a must have. It is a perfect blend of action and adventure and the story is so great in its depth it will keep you playing "to see what happens next. Very few games deserve a perfect score but this is one of them. Even if you've never played metal gear solid you can't miss this. If you really want to play it I suggest getting twinFor anyone who has played a metal gear solid game this is a must have. It is a perfect blend of action and adventure and the story is so great in its depth it will keep you playing "to see what happens next. Very few games deserve a perfect score but this is one of them. Even if you've never played metal gear solid you can't miss this. If you really want to play it I suggest getting twin snakes on GameCube, and the metal gear solid 2 and 3 remake on the ps3 just to know the story before playing this. The metal gear series offers the best story telling of any game hands down. Expand
  52. Aug 23, 2014
    I was not brought up on Metal Gear Solid games. Therefore, I did not enter this game with any kind of nostalgia as many other gamers did. I found the controls to be incredibly clunky and frustrating and really did not enjoy the experience at all.
  53. Jul 15, 2014
    sometimes Boring, sometimes It makes me cringe. It's worst game in all of the MGS series(bestest is MGS3). DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME IT IS JUST SH*T......
  54. Jun 27, 2014
    Отличное завершение истории Солида Снейка. Разнообразие геймплея и кинематографичность заставок поражают.
  55. Jun 18, 2014
    This should have been the best Metal Gear game. Sadly it isn't.
    I won't go in-depth, put here are a few things that people fail to point out in this game.
    This should have been the best Metal Gear game. Sadly it isn't.
    1. There are so many cutscenes that are entirely pointless, or could be speed up to save time. Nothing would be lost if these cutscenes were removed. In fact, there are 3 relationships in this game that take up at least 1 hour, of the 8.5 hours of cutscenes ,that should have been removed as they add nothing to the story. The story should have been refined more.

2. There are a few forced or nonsensical moments. While few in quantity, these moments could have easily been changed.

3. Something that is never addressed is the blizzard effects. This might qualify as the best effect in video game history! Developers generally think as rain, snow, fog, ect... as an auxiliary to the game. If the blizzard effects were not in MGS4, the game would be much less impressive. The snow gradually collects on stationary objects. The high winds can push snow off, or carry more onto an object. Taking cover will make the snow gradually fall off in an impressive manner. The blizzard obscures Snake's vision, sometimes inhibiting his line of sight to a meter in front of him; conversely the storm may lighten up to allow Snake to see 15 meters in front off him. taking cover behind an object were the wind isn't blowing will cause the snow to fall off. What needs to be understood is that the blizzard effect was not an afterthought. It is a very graphically impressive feature ahead of its time.

4. The music and voice acting some of the best in gaming history, even for today.

5. The world building is great. The game provides visuals and information that establish the Metal Gear world well.

MGS4 has a great main plot, some very evocative moments, and is extremely graphically impressive. This review doesn't cover much, but the 5 points are rarely covered and need to be known. This game should be a 10/10, but too many idiotic additions to the story prevent it from being so.
  56. Jun 2, 2014
    Considering the potential scope of the material, "wasted opportunity" is more than an understatement. Global conspiracies, mechs, mercenaries, a world embroiled in conflict etc. It's all familiar stuff but still effective; in theory.

This is the pinnacle of fan-servicing. I have never seen such bad writing in a game of this caliber. Hideo Kojima was always a terrible writer but the stuff he's come out with here is just beyond words. Somebody should have broken the man's fingers or at least put him into cryogenic freezing for 200 years in the hope that when he would reawaken Konami would be long gone, and there would be no company that would have his repugnant brain in employ. Some cutscenes go on for twenty minutes... some go on for two. It doesn't make any difference because by the time they get to the point you have already forgotten what you wanted to find out. The characters (protagonist(s) and antagonists) are all repugnant and two dimensional. I do not care about their hopes, dreams, desires, fears; they can all go jump in the lake.

Oh yeah and 'uncompressed audio?' **** you.

Gameplay mechanics are still as faulty as ever in true lovable MGS style. Restrictive environments aplenty and horrible control scheme. Movements are too jerky and unrefined to produce a smooth and subtle stealth experience. Stick to Splinter Cell (or Dishonored etc). The game also looks like garbage and this is inexcusable considering how long it was in development for... This is the same year that we had Dead Space and Far Cry 2 and they still hold up today. The biggest visual problem is that amount of really cheap cover ups, 90% of the textures are smeared and the brick walls look like an armada of pasta bakes lined up next to each other.

The MGS series was groundbreaking at one point in time, although the golden years have long since passed. MGS might have been the first human to ever take a dump in a toilet but it missed the bowl completely. If you love Hideo Kojima then go right ahead and disregard what I have said but if you want to play an actual game then steer clear
  57. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece, BUT you need to play MGS 1,2,3 to understand the story...if you played the other 3, you'll love this game, it's awesome from the start menu to the after credits
  58. Mar 31, 2014
    Metal gear solid 4, is the culmination the one of the most important franchise of games. The ambientation of the game is really good, in sometimes we believe that we are in war. The gameplay is typical of the franchise, and we choose if we want stealth or accion. The game have many weapons and customization options.

The history is very good, and conects all the loose ends of the saga

The history is very good, and conects all the loose ends of the saga offering epics moments, special mention the end, that is amazing.

As I said before, the history is very good, but is difficult follows, especially if you aren't fan of the saga.

another point that I didn´t like is that scenes video are very very longs, and we can desperate, we spend more time waching scenes video than playing.
  59. Mar 30, 2014
    F''''ng incredible, so much depth the soundtrack, the plot, snake, the easter eggs, the characters, the control, the boxes, the bosses, the final boss with that you will cry buy it now if you like metal gear solid.
  60. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly i don't mind cutscenes as long as they are ALL about being EPIC(kojima style) and are very important. The problem however is this game has so many cutscenes where there is pointless chatter about technical details of no utmost importance... considering they are 90% of all cutscenes and that the game is itself 90% cutscenes = tedious game.

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly

I was disapointed as MGS1 was truly epic and there were maybe 3-4 cutscenes with this kind of pointless ramblings about sciencific facts. In contrast, this game, the whole experience is like this!!
    I find myself being unmotivated to start after taking 1 day breaks.

Also, the game has turned from being stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to infiltrate bases....into a boring action game where there's too much action on the screen going on at the same time... it killed the whole espionage aspect that I liked the most about this series.

I hate developpers these days, they keep changing things that weren't broken to begin with and end up changing everything I liked about the series.
  61. Mar 23, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is an absolutely phenomenal game! This along with Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us should be the measuring stick to which all other games compare not only their quality but their stories as well!
  62. Mar 20, 2014
    This is an amazing installment in the Metal Gear franchise with the return of the lovely hero, Solid, or now known as "Old Snake". The story may be a bit over-complicated at times but it still holds of atrociously well, one of my gripes though, is that the boss battles aren't as good or memorable as in the previous games.
  63. Mar 19, 2014
    I’ll be honest, after about an hour or so of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 I decided I was just going to skip all the cut scenes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience I used to but I just couldn't face sitting through hour after hour of Hideo Kojima’s ramblings. Of course it meant that I had virtually no idea what was going on most of the time but I could at least get on with actually playingI’ll be honest, after about an hour or so of playing Metal Gear Solid 4 I decided I was just going to skip all the cut scenes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience I used to but I just couldn't face sitting through hour after hour of Hideo Kojima’s ramblings. Of course it meant that I had virtually no idea what was going on most of the time but I could at least get on with actually playing the game and, for the most part.

In all honesty the basic mechanics have generally changed very little since the Playstation One days and, while many would argue that it hasn't really needed to, it does mean that it is behind other stealth games like Deus Ex or Dishonored in terms of the level of freedom offered. Fortunately Kojima’s ability to conceive ideas and set pieces that very few other game designers can, means there are always surprises just around the corner and this is largely what kept me playing all the way to the end. If Kojima can accept he is a game designer not a film director then maybe we’ll be treated to a true classic again one day but for now this will do.
  64. Mar 18, 2014
    awesome, gamme ,long cinematics, good conclusion, i cryed alot, is one of the best ends ever, the graphics where good for being 2008 graphics , and kojima just take all the metal gears and mixed it, love this game
  65. Mar 18, 2014
    awesome game all the feels on thata, th best way to close the saga is that. i love how kojima write the history, and old snake oh god is so sad is a mature game and a nostalgic game i love it remeber me metal gear 1
  66. Mar 2, 2014
    One of the must own exclusives, and games period for the Ps3. Sure the cut scenes can be a bit long, but they help make the game the masterpiece that it is. This is a great game, and should be played by anyone who owns a Ps3. Would definitely buy this as a collector.
  67. Mar 1, 2014
    People give this game such a bad reputation because there are a Lot of cutscenes in this game however if you are a fan of the games universe this is perfect for you because this game series has been going on for near 20 years at the point this game was released and in that time there had been about 7 other games released which covered content from the cold war onwards to the games presentPeople give this game such a bad reputation because there are a Lot of cutscenes in this game however if you are a fan of the games universe this is perfect for you because this game series has been going on for near 20 years at the point this game was released and in that time there had been about 7 other games released which covered content from the cold war onwards to the games present day. This game fills almost all the gaps that were there before the game was released.

Now the game itself is amazing for numerous reason such as its graphics, camouflage system, different environments and enemy diversity. The game is made so that stealth is more rewarded but not completely necessary, that surveying the area gives better rewards in ways such as better weapons,drebin points or better vantage points. The graphics for the year are amazing and to this day has only small differences to the 'next gen' graphics from some military franchise or other which is released every year. The variety weapons and equipment gives not only stealth or offensive options but options inside those options which does help when faced with a very secure location.
  68. Feb 24, 2014
    A true masterpiece and a great ending to Solid Snake's legacy. The graphics, story and gameplay are all extremely well crafted. A definite must buy for any PS3 owner.
  69. Feb 23, 2014
    this game is just one big piece of awsome .....and sadness the final part of the mgs saga mgs4 has old snake coming out of retirement and has to go kill liquid ocelot but there is one problem snake has accelerated aging this game has so man cutscenes but i could not decide whether this was a good thing or abad thing this game has less a focus on stealth and more a sense of action and thethis game is just one big piece of awsome .....and sadness the final part of the mgs saga mgs4 has old snake coming out of retirement and has to go kill liquid ocelot but there is one problem snake has accelerated aging this game has so man cutscenes but i could not decide whether this was a good thing or abad thing this game has less a focus on stealth and more a sense of action and the ending this is the sort of ending you cry at and anyone who says they didnt is either lying or a haertless **** Expand
  70. Feb 10, 2014
    This game is awesome, the perfect end to the story of Solid Snake. MGS's fans is necessary have this game, if you unknown Metal Gear Solid's saga, get away from this game, and best begin with Metal Gear Solid 1 for PSX.
  71. Feb 9, 2014
    I don’t care what some critics say; this is a worthy sequel to a worthy series. It is just as indispensible as the other Metal Gear games and the final scenes leading up to, and including, the final boss battle are some of the most well-designed, emotional and memorable scenes in a videogame.
  72. Feb 8, 2014
    I finish this game, so I believe I can write a review. This game is OK. I don't think it deserves above 8 on the User Score because the graphics is at 1080 but it looks like 720. I think the cut scenes are way way too long and If I want to watch a movie, I will watch a Blu-ray movie; not MGS4 movie. I game play is very good if you like single players.
  73. Feb 3, 2014
    Length: 10 out of 10
    Re-play: 6 out of 10
    Value: 10 out of 10
  74. Jan 8, 2014
    The best Metal Gear Solid game to date and easily the best Playstation 3 exclusive (The Last of Us comes close though). Everything about this game is just perfect: the visuals are great, the soundtrack is awesome, the story is amazing and the characters are extremely memorable. I just love what they did to Raiden after how he was in Metal Gear Solid 2, they made him into an awesome cyborgThe best Metal Gear Solid game to date and easily the best Playstation 3 exclusive (The Last of Us comes close though). Everything about this game is just perfect: the visuals are great, the soundtrack is awesome, the story is amazing and the characters are extremely memorable. I just love what they did to Raiden after how he was in Metal Gear Solid 2, they made him into an awesome cyborg and a character with a very interesting back story. This is one of best games ever made and one of my personal favorites of all time. Expand
  75. Jan 1, 2014
    For fans of the stealth genera, you will want to buy this game. This game can be hard at times, but for hardcore players this is a good thing. The boss fights are amazing, and the story goes along perfectly. There are some flaws, and some aspects are overrated. One of the biggest points is that there are a lack of checkpoints throughout the game. Overall though for a $10 pre-owned MGS4,For fans of the stealth genera, you will want to buy this game. This game can be hard at times, but for hardcore players this is a good thing. The boss fights are amazing, and the story goes along perfectly. There are some flaws, and some aspects are overrated. One of the biggest points is that there are a lack of checkpoints throughout the game. Overall though for a $10 pre-owned MGS4, this game would be worth your time with its tactical-stealth experience. Expand
  76. Dec 31, 2013
    Pros:

-Amazing story and ending (4+)
    -Nice Graphics (2+)
    -Fun Gameplay (2+)
    -Great soundtrack and voice acting (2+)

Cons:

- 90 minute cutscene crap (0.3-)
    - Clunky controls (personal opinion)
    - Cheesy (-0.1)

Overall Score: 9.6/10. Extremely Awesome
  77. Dec 23, 2013
    "Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned"Legends die hard and deserve a heroic story that lives on when they are gone. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such an ending for the legendary warrior Solid Snake. Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made. Get some well earned rest, Snake. You've earned it. We salute you." Expand
  78. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is pretty much my favorite MGS game, the game play was truly astonishing back in the days and still is, this was such a quality game for the PS3 console when it was first released, the graphics, the animation, the cut scenes, the gameplay, the sound.. everything was top notch, Kojima Productions really pushed the PS3 to it's limits when most of the games at that time couldn'tThis game is pretty much my favorite MGS game, the game play was truly astonishing back in the days and still is, this was such a quality game for the PS3 console when it was first released, the graphics, the animation, the cut scenes, the gameplay, the sound.. everything was top notch, Kojima Productions really pushed the PS3 to it's limits when most of the games at that time couldn't even be compared to MGS4, visually.

And then, the most important aspect of the game, the story obviously. The storyline was beyond amazing, i've played through the game so many times because of the storyline, i'm not supposed to spoil anything when writing a review even tho most people have already played this, but i can say that the story was both dramatic and exciting.

I know i'm quite late with a review but i didn't create a user account on metacritic until now so why not give this game some more credits
  79. Dec 2, 2013
    The true sequel to my best game ever (MGS2). I played MGS4 when I first bought a PS3. Since I had forgotten a lot of the details from the series, I got half of the exprerience. Now, I decided it was a good time to refresh my MGS storyline, so I played through MGS, MGS2 and MGS4 (I plan to continue to the Big Boss games). Now that I have a full idea of what's happening and why, and alsoThe true sequel to my best game ever (MGS2). I played MGS4 when I first bought a PS3. Since I had forgotten a lot of the details from the series, I got half of the exprerience. Now, I decided it was a good time to refresh my MGS storyline, so I played through MGS, MGS2 and MGS4 (I plan to continue to the Big Boss games). Now that I have a full idea of what's happening and why, and also I've grown as a gamer, since 2008 is 5 years back, I can firmly say that it deserves a perfect score since it ticked all of the boxes and even beyond as a great sequel and as a story ending.

This is Kojima at his best. Both gameplaywise and storywise.
  80. Nov 24, 2013
    Easily the greatest game of this gen,the story is fantastic you feel like a true legend playing through the eyes of solid snake AKA old snake ,at times there is the odd silliness but this is expected as part of the series the boss fights are epic the cut scenes are long winded but is a joy to sit back and watch this game is a must for all gamers
  81. Nov 24, 2013
    This is one of my favourite titles on PS3. Hideo Kojima has a sharp eye for details in games and one gets to appreciate this in MGS4. There is an insane level of detail given to everything from the menu, through the movie like cutscenes and to the gameplay itself. It is a unique experience on the PS3 and one you should not skip over. The environments are greatly varied and you'll find themThis is one of my favourite titles on PS3. Hideo Kojima has a sharp eye for details in games and one gets to appreciate this in MGS4. There is an insane level of detail given to everything from the menu, through the movie like cutscenes and to the gameplay itself. It is a unique experience on the PS3 and one you should not skip over. The environments are greatly varied and you'll find them a pleasure to see. Expand
  82. Nov 14, 2013
    This is the best franchise EVER MADE! If you havent play it yet, than you have to. I really love this game and all the series you really need to play this really great story and gameplay!
  83. Oct 19, 2013
    A masterpiece to say the least. Metal Gears Solid 4 presents one of the best cinematic stories ever told in gaming. It will stay in the hearts of many gamers out there forever. That being said, this game is really for those who have a strong knowledge of the other metal gear solid games. If you haven't played the other games you will be lost in this convoluted tale. The game's story isA masterpiece to say the least. Metal Gears Solid 4 presents one of the best cinematic stories ever told in gaming. It will stay in the hearts of many gamers out there forever. That being said, this game is really for those who have a strong knowledge of the other metal gear solid games. If you haven't played the other games you will be lost in this convoluted tale. The game's story is really only at its best with the knowledge of the other games in the back of your head. The gameplay is great as well. Drebin points allow you to unlock an impressive array of weapons and other equipment. The Boss battles are also very well crafted; frantic, fun and keeps you on your feet (Not to mention they are sexy as hell near the end of each battle). A great game that balances true cover based gunplay with awesome stealth options as well. Guns blazing or keep it stealthy. Either way, they gameplay is amazing

One of the best stories in gaming and some really engaging gameplay MGS 4 should be a must play game for any gamer who wants a truly immersive and masterful experience.
  84. Oct 18, 2013
    Im sorry. i tried to liked this game. but i cant
    its horrible.
    i missed the stealth gameplay
    Metal gear solid is "TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION"
    NOT A "FUTURE WARFARE ACTION"
    the bosses aren deep
    the dialogs are so stupid
    and the plot is very absurd.
    kojima what did you smoke? you spent.
    this games is overrated just for being a ps3 exclusive
    and the last game of the story
  85. Sep 8, 2013
    Simply one of the absolute greatest games I have ever played. Instead of telling you what's GREAT about it because you can read any of the good reviews to know that, I'm going to tackle the criticisms.

Cutscenes The total length of time for the cutscenes clocks in at about 9.5 hours. That seemed a lot to me at first, but the scenes are so well done that if you are a fan of the series then you won't care.

Graphics They're fantastic, especially for 2008's standards.

Story I thought MGS2 was a bit convoluted, but this one was pretty easy to follow.

Gameplay This one I didn't get. I played the game the way it should be played (Stealthily) and I thought there was plenty of gameplay. I also like exploring and acquiring items. If you just Rambo your way through the game then yeah, it's gonna feel light on gameplay, but these games aren't SUPPOSED to be played that way.

With that said, I understand these games aren't for everyone, and I wouldn't suggest this to anyone who hasn't played any of the other games. It does, however, deserve a 10 in my opinion.
  86. Sep 7, 2013
    Hideo Kojima does it again. This game is a true masterpiece, and I don't say this lightly.
    If you are a fan of The Metal Gear Solid franchise you know what I mean when I say that most games directed by Hideo Kojima feels like an interactive movie and this one is not the exception.

The graphics were at the top the gaming industry when this game came out and I can say it's still better than most games that have been recently released.
    The story is so well written and has even an underline philosophical profoundness to it, every scene is beautifully thought of.
    Character wise this game is amazing, a LOT of characters from previous MGS titles return, and like always even the villains are so perfectly created that you seem to empathise with them to some degree.

Solid Snake (Probably one of my favorite vg characters of all time) is back for what seems to be his last adventure, and in the end everything finishes on a perfect note.

Cant wait for the next instalment of Metal Gear Solid. In the meantime, if you haven't played this game I highly recommend you pick it up, and if you haven't played any of the MGS games and want to check out the MGS Legacy Collection for PS3.
  87. Aug 29, 2013
    Japanese games never impresses anyone. All this stupid anime cliche's are just too stupid to be taken seriously. Reading a porno mag regenerates your life? (Really Kojima? REALLY) And again back to the stupid hide in the box nonsense. Yeah the gameplay, graphics, and stroy are great, but let's face it. I respect MGS to be the godfather f the stealth genre, but seriously people wantsJapanese games never impresses anyone. All this stupid anime cliche's are just too stupid to be taken seriously. Reading a porno mag regenerates your life? (Really Kojima? REALLY) And again back to the stupid hide in the box nonsense. Yeah the gameplay, graphics, and stroy are great, but let's face it. I respect MGS to be the godfather f the stealth genre, but seriously people wants realistic stealth nowadays. Hiding in a box is just too childish. Expand
  88. Aug 26, 2013
    This game is a legend in it's own right. Hideo Kojima did an amazing job for this game and it is a thrilling conclusion to Solid Snake. The game is truly breathtaking. The visuals are some of the best on the system and the splatter effects are quite well implemented. Environments are fantastic. All are well detailed and just a pure joy to explore. Sound is also used very well, you can hearThis game is a legend in it's own right. Hideo Kojima did an amazing job for this game and it is a thrilling conclusion to Solid Snake. The game is truly breathtaking. The visuals are some of the best on the system and the splatter effects are quite well implemented. Environments are fantastic. All are well detailed and just a pure joy to explore. Sound is also used very well, you can hear everything that is going on around you. Gameplay is great. Everything fits well. People may complain that it is a bit like a third-person shooter game, but there are many moments were stealth can and is implemented. The Drebin Shop system is a unique addition to the game. It is surprising about how well Kojima implemented it into the game. People may also complain about that. Here's an interesting bit of trivia, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. The game also carries over the stealth mechanics of camouflage from MGS3 and it works well with the game. Another new addition is the Psyche Gauge. It works much like the stamina gauge from MGS3, but this gauge is affected by stress that Solid Snake feels in the game, such as when he is being chased by guards or in an intense firefight. To replenish it, one must find a place to hide and wait for Snake's stress to lower so that the Psyche can recover. It's well used and it makes sense, after all, Snake is old. Controls are really tight. It works really well. The soundtrack is great. The orchestral scores are easily some of the best in the series. Boss battles are incredibly memorable and are some of the best. The last fight, is easily the best in the series. Lastly, the story is amazing. People complain about the long cutscenes, but you can pause it. The cutscenes are paint easily the most fantastic story in all of gaming. And people complain about how the story is unlikely. That is not true. The Patriots is a secret society, and our world is full of them. War is a present theme of the story, and it's foretelling a war economy which our world seems to be going towards slowly. As for the nanomachines, well, it is entirely possible. The story is beautiful, yet bleak and completely possible. The story is sad because all throughout it, people who are close to Snake die and soldiers on because he knows that unless he beats Liquid, all their deaths would be in vain. The story is the best part, and anyone who says otherwise are ignorant and don't understand Kojima's vision. It's so easy to talk about everything about this game. In total this game is perfect. 10/10. This game is worth any price, and it is a pure joy to play Expand
  89. Aug 21, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 is just a masterpiece! Hideo did it again, he manage to create another MGS better and better than the last. but every MGS are beyond expectation, there's nothing not to love in the franchise. it got everything. It's really complex, but that's the way we love MGS.
  90. Jul 19, 2013
    I have played Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and they are amazing, epic and both have epic stories and gameplay but i can't just compare them to Metal Gear Solid 4. This game is E.P.I.C. The cut screens may be huge but they are important to the story. Everything is perfect in this game, the characters, the gameplay, THE SONGS (Epic soundtrack). A huge amount of emotions is presentI have played Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and they are amazing, epic and both have epic stories and gameplay but i can't just compare them to Metal Gear Solid 4. This game is E.P.I.C. The cut screens may be huge but they are important to the story. Everything is perfect in this game, the characters, the gameplay, THE SONGS (Epic soundtrack). A huge amount of emotions is present in this game from the beginning to the end, this game won't disappoint long therm fans or newcomers. One of the best action/ stealth game ever and one of the best PS3 games. I could tell you 100 more things that make this game perfect, but i will just tell you the top reasons:
    1. Epic story.
    2. Great (Boss) fights.
    3. Epic soundtrack (the main menu music is so good).
    4. Great gameplay, great weapons and gadgets.
    5. Great war atmosphere.
    6. Great cut screens.
    7. Epic ending.
    8. I don't know if i forgot anything but i think that are the most important reasons.

I like Konami games, especially Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill but this is my favorite Konami game.
  91. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The good:Graphics,Music,Story,Old Snake pessimistic,Ocelot., last boss fight with ocelot.
    Bad:Ending Naomi,Otacon,Sunny.Places,Big Boss,Big mama,patriots.
    First of all im a big mgs fan my childhood hero was Solid Snake but:
    Ending was pretty bad because if i recall that wasn't supposed to be the original ending,the original ending was when snake and otacon die by pentagon that would be much,much better what mr kojima wanted,But he's staff members ruined this game this is pretty shame and sad the last game whit solid snake is ruined,All that thing otacon and snake done in mgs2 timeline (terrorism,hacking) was forgotten by pentagon?
    Naomi is a irritating character in this game just like otacon was, otacon was baddass back of MGS1 and MGS2 is now totally gone he is pretty different character.Sunny ughh why japanese people love genius kids? its just irritating,Places was pretty bad except middle east,South America shadow moses.Why why bring big boss back to live and telling idiot things to snake? and big mama? just ridiculous,Patriots was mgs3 characters another ridiculous thing.Yeah snake was puting down the weapon and cigar forever and he don't need to smoke? just like that he changed after 10 minute? Im sorry to say this but this game is ruined its like a bad hollywood movie.
  92. Jun 28, 2013
    What an amazing conclusion to Old Snake's story. The gameplay may be smaller when compared to other games and in the opinion of gamers that are more gameplay than story. The story is unrealistic but when has a game had a vivid and realistic story. The story is the product of a genius and it is even more rewarding if you've played the entire series. While the gameplay may have been short itWhat an amazing conclusion to Old Snake's story. The gameplay may be smaller when compared to other games and in the opinion of gamers that are more gameplay than story. The story is unrealistic but when has a game had a vivid and realistic story. The story is the product of a genius and it is even more rewarding if you've played the entire series. While the gameplay may have been short it was still was enjoyable and ran smoothly. No game-breaking bugs or glitches actually I don't believe there were any glitches or bugs. Graphics are so good that even games today can hardly compare them. AI corresponds and adapts to your difficulty with BIG BOSS EXTREME being the most difficult. The only this game a 9/10 is because so many gamers dislike the cut scenes so I do to be fair. This is not a game for people who don't the time to enjoy the story because in the end the story is the supreme feature of this game. Conspiracies, check. Old Snake, check. Stealth and espionage, check. Guns, check. Camouflage, check. Greatest video game I've ever bought, triple check. Expand
  93. Jun 27, 2013
    Five years later this game still holds up as one of the best ever released on the console. Everything about it is perfect for fans of the title's previous releases. Yeah, there are a lot of cut scenes, but you know that's going to happen when you're walking into a MGS game. Bottom line, one of the best games ever made on any system.
  94. Jun 16, 2013
    Completed this game around 9 times, and believe me it does not get old, If you do buy this, remember you will be investing in a franchise because after completing this you will definalty be addicted and will probably spend tonnes of money paying for all the others.
  95. Jun 13, 2013
    What can I say?
    It was such a delight playing this superb game.
    It has everything that an art fan want to check on a piece of art. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the reason that i play video-games, it really can fill my need to trans-hip my mind, or meditate during the little time that I have with a controller in my life. Yes, you may say that the action is a little bit jammed or sticky, or
    What can I say?
    It was such a delight playing this superb game.

It has everything that an art fan want to check on a piece of art.
    Yes, you may say that the action is a little bit jammed or sticky, or the complexity of asian novels during the cutscenes is too high, or the battles of some super big robots reminds you asian animes or comics, well, that's just a small part that in nothing harms the game itself. Because the profundity of the story and characters is so immense and emotional that your ''judging mind'' will completely disappear.
    As the moral values and the nowadays problems who affects not just soldiers but ''us'' too.
    The perfections of a whole, make the imperfections perfections.
  96. Jun 11, 2013
    Kojima and Konami had the same vision as the fans as to what next generation console gaming should have been. Many had that vision, but very few could achieve it.
    MGS4 shows how incredible games would be today if developers still poured their hearts into their projects regardless of how long it took and didn't have to constantly give in to shareholders and publishers. The story, visuals, music, boss battles, controller mapping, everything in MGS4 was flawless. I wish more games were this complete.
    9.7
  97. Jun 9, 2013
    First metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I meanFirst metal gear solid game I ever played, I bought this in 2013 and think its good for a 2008 game as many games I own that are from 2008 no longer impress me. The game was difficult to play at first as I progressed through the first mission but I eventually got the hang of it before I reached the end of that first mission. There is a lot of options while trying to be stealthy and I mean a lot which makes missions more fun.
    The cut scenes are very long and even the shortest of them go on for a few minutes but the cinematic's are interesting even if I did not get it at first i eventually understood what was happening. If your into games that give you a load of options I recommend trying it.
  98. May 16, 2013
    It truly boggles my mind how many positive reviews there are for this epic piece of garbage. Playing through MSG4 is an exercise in frustration and a true revelation in just how much senseless melodramatic pieces of cutscenes a game maker can cram into a Blu-Ray and still have the thing called a game.

The entire story is nonsensical. A monkey with a crayon and a 8.5x11 piece of paper can write a more coherent plot than the writer of this game. The dialog is horrible. Characters make all kinds of guttural sounds, hums, haws, and grunts continuously for no reason.

The game play, what little there is sprinkled through the vast hours of retarded cinematic CGI, is boring as hell.
  99. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending of a great man, solid snake. I always liked the solid snake more than big boss so this might be the best, epic, last solid snake appearing game in the series. Bosses are a bit lame, and some conversions are a bit long (especially on the plane and briefing scenes). Expand
  100. Apr 29, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much whatMetal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is very much into its own self importance. This does not really feel like a game but more an interactive movie. Out of the 22 hours to complete the game, I only spent 7 hours actually moving. I know this because at the end of the game there are stats of how long you spend prone, crouching and walking etc. The action in the game is very much what Metal Gear fans like with the classic formula still intact. Its just a shame that these are broken up by LONG video sequences that CANNOT be skipped. One scene i had to watch two or three times at 20 minutes each because I died. It was just painful. There is one really genius moment which fans of the original will spot and hopefully enjoy as much as I did.
    I cannot say this game is bad because it wasn't. But the story really took over what is meant to be a game. At times I began to really switch off to the story just because it felt like my life was being sucked away from the LONG LONG backwards and forwards conversations throughout the game.
    The serious serious fans of the series are likely to not have a bad word to say but if like me you just want to play a game then this just goes on for far to long. Playing only one third of a game does not sound right does it?
    I had such hopes of this game and its the reason i brought a PS3, but it left me very disappointed.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Guns of the Patriots is almost intimidating in the consistent quality of its ideas, invention, and execution...Even by the series' stratospheric standards, MGS4 is a remarkable high point. [June 2008]
    If you've ever loved any one of the Metal Gear games, or any moments from the series, there will come a moment when MGS 4 will send your spirits soaring. If you've loved them all, well then there'll be many, many more. It’s a masterpiece.
  3. Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.