8.3

1. Sep 28, 2014
    this is the best fighting game in ps3 IMO. the story is **** awesome. i never expected it to be this good. the characters are great and yeah the fatalities are cool and brutal. each character is got unique powers like fire, ice, poison, fist, invisibility, magic etc. the game is also 100% glitch free. so what else do you need? so i give it a perfect score!!
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    Mortal Kombat have always been the best fighting game around and this one is the best chapter in the series, complete reboot with everything you could ever ask for. This is the best MK not just because of tight gameplay and incredible amount of content, but primarily because there is surprisingly very good story here, so the story mode turns into a really catchy and fun ride, that couldn'tMortal Kombat have always been the best fighting game around and this one is the best chapter in the series, complete reboot with everything you could ever ask for. This is the best MK not just because of tight gameplay and incredible amount of content, but primarily because there is surprisingly very good story here, so the story mode turns into a really catchy and fun ride, that couldn't be achieved in previous titles. This is one of the best fighting packages you can get, even though I'm getting my my ass kicked pretty hard online, but that's life. 9/10 Expand
  3. Jun 2, 2014
    Undoubtedly one of the best fighting games of 2011 and probably the best mortal Kombat to date.

It's like playing a modern version of the original three games, but with new modern mechanics and visuals. They have included a great character roster and very pleasing fatalities; if not some of the most violent seen to date. You have been warned! Not only have they gone to great lengths

Not only have they gone to great lengths to create a very decent single player campaign but the multi-player will keep you entertained for hours on end, not to mention all the hours you will need to sink into the game in order to unlock all the hidden costumes and secrets.

If you've never been into fighting games, i suggest now's the time to start.
  4. Apr 16, 2014
    NetherRealm and creator Ed Boon have risen and revitalized the Mortal Kombat franchise and returned it to the gloriously GOREgous heights it once reigned hell upon in the arcade days. Pros? The incorporation of 2.5D and an overall refreshing gameplay experience; one of the deepest -- if not cheesiest -- story modes in fighting game history; returning characters from the classic trilogy;NetherRealm and creator Ed Boon have risen and revitalized the Mortal Kombat franchise and returned it to the gloriously GOREgous heights it once reigned hell upon in the arcade days. Pros? The incorporation of 2.5D and an overall refreshing gameplay experience; one of the deepest -- if not cheesiest -- story modes in fighting game history; returning characters from the classic trilogy; seventh-gen gore and guts, thanks to some of the franchise's most creative fatalities yet; pleasurable multiplayer and online experience. Cons? Lame unlockable content; stupefying AI; replay value stiffens after all the modes are completed in a short time. Expand
  5. Mar 22, 2014
    Story: 7.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9 out of 10 Gameplay: 9.5 out of 10 Fun: 9.5 out of 10 (depending on difficulty) Controls: 9 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8 out of 10
    Re-play: 10 out of 10
    Audio: 9 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: None from my experience
  6. Mar 21, 2014
    This is my favorite MK game of all time great controls graphics and gameplay with balanced characters makes for one hell of a fighting game. The online portion really lets the game down with serious lag in a lot of matches. Other than that It has begun
  7. ERB
    Dec 7, 2013
    The greatest mortal kombat game I have ever played.The graphics in this game is superb and it looks realistic plus the characters in this game looks cool and awesome.The game play is extremely fun especially if you play this game with a friend.The moves in this game is spectacular and even the fatalities in this game is deadly and awesome.I love the action in this game!And there are alsoThe greatest mortal kombat game I have ever played.The graphics in this game is superb and it looks realistic plus the characters in this game looks cool and awesome.The game play is extremely fun especially if you play this game with a friend.The moves in this game is spectacular and even the fatalities in this game is deadly and awesome.I love the action in this game!And there are also new characters in this game like Kenshi,Freddy and krueger and more.But the best and coolest character added in this game is KRATOS!The God Of War is in here.Although Kratos is only present in the PS3.I'm not surprised because God Of War games are only exclusive in the PS3 console.Kratos in this game is so cool and his fatality"Blade Of Olympus"is hell awesome!This game also has a good story.The story in this game started when Raiden had a vision and saw himself and his comrades defeated by the almighty Shao Kahn!And there the story in this game starts.

This game is incredible and awesome and It gets a bloody score of 10/10.This game is one of the best action or fighting games of all time so you should buy this game now and try playing it.I promise you this game is fun and you will enjoy this game.
  8. Jun 2, 2013
    This is what Mortal Kombat is about! It's great. Gameplay is fantastic. Characters are presented well. Best fighting game out there! Still have the clash between Scorpion (my favorite) and Sub Zero.
  9. Apr 26, 2013
    Well, JapanMan's review sums it all up nicely but I just wanted to add my thoughts on the game anyway.
    I was a Mortal Kombat fan back in the early 90s from 1 through to Trilogy but never liked the rest...Until now.
    The game feels very much like those original MK games, only without the Broken movies, and Cheap AI tactics of pre-empting your button presses. On the whole, it's a very

On the whole, it's a very balanced fighter and of the 20+ characters i feel they each have their uses and none of greatly over-powered. Some are easier to use than others but once you get the buttons down they are all pretty close.
    I also really like the choice of characters. With over 60 to pick from I feel they chose all of the best, and main characters. I'm particularly happy they did add Smoke, as he was always my favourite. Worth noting too that, unlike the originals each character really has their own playing style and move list unlike in the originals were Reptile was basically just a green Sub-Zero. Here, all the main ninjas are in (except Rain) but are all very unique.

This game is very violent, although you do unlock the option to turn the blood and gore off if you wish.

Story Mode is a very nice addition and is a lot deeper and more expansive than I expected. I'd estimate it could be about 6-8 hours long depending on how good you are. Not bad for a fighting game!

4 player offline tag matches are great fun if you have some friends around, or just stick to 2v2 against the Ai or 1v1 etc.
    There are a lot of game modes on offer, and a load of extra content to unlock in the Krypt.
    Again, this is all more than I expected.

The beauty of this is that these things are all in addition to the actual fighting mechanics being brilliant, rather than fancy features on a poor game.

The attention to detail in the backgrounds and stages is as good as it comes. The subway level for instance has trains passing by and above you which sends paper flying across the screen and if you have surround sound on it can get quite immersive.
    The stages themselves are mostly the old classic ones with some extras. It's a good idea to play through story mode 1st and you'll see where each stage fits in to the plot.

1 thing I always loved about MK is the depth in the characters Bios and back stories, all of which is on display here and even played out in hours of cut scenes which are brilliantly done.

The X-Ray attacks are a nice touch, although learning not to use them is the best way to save for multiple powerful attacks or combo breaking etc. But if you have it ready and you're opponent is nearing death it's a nice way to finish them off!
    Fatalaties are possibly the most brutal I've seen too helped of course by the brilliant graphics.

Also, 3 of my friends pre-ordered this game just from the demo and neither were MK fans and all think the full game is great. The demo does it no justice really, as always.

This is the best fighting game I've ever played and as high as my expectations of it were from numerous footage and the demo, it has surpassed them all considerably.
  10. Mar 8, 2013
    Mortal Kombat isn't just for nostalgic purposes, it is, in fact, one of the greatest games the franchise has seen in recent years and is just the reboot it needed. For the pros: it's the most beautiful, bloodiest MK game to date; graphics are glossier than ever, making fatalities (and the newly featured X-Ray moves) gorier than ever; everyone's favorite characters from the original trilogyMortal Kombat isn't just for nostalgic purposes, it is, in fact, one of the greatest games the franchise has seen in recent years and is just the reboot it needed. For the pros: it's the most beautiful, bloodiest MK game to date; graphics are glossier than ever, making fatalities (and the newly featured X-Ray moves) gorier than ever; everyone's favorite characters from the original trilogy (Noob, Ermac, Mileena, etc.) are redesigned superbly whilst stories are given more depth (even broken characters such as Kabal and Stryker are, at last, likable); the 2-D mechanics suit gameplay well and are an improvement over the 3-D mechanics introduced in the previous installments; excellent single-player and multi-player value; return of Test Your Might, as well as the newly featured Test Your Strike, Sight, and Luck are nice additions. However, its cons: its "dial-up" kombos and special features can be executed at ease and rob the gameplay of some of its difficulty; Challenge Tower can be "hit-or-miss"; DLCs are overpriced; despite the GOD's franchise similarly violent content, Kratos character just isn't that interesting in the MK series (hell, one of his fatalities lacks any blood whatsoever). But overall, one of the best fighters of 2011 and should be played by anyone who isn't squeamish. Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    This is THE definitive Mortal Kombat and a strong return to form for the series. The combat (kombat?) itself is faster, more fluid, and easy to pick up. Most characters have unique play styles and it is fun to experiment with finding your favorites. It's gory and satisfying, and the story mode is the new standard bearer for all future fighting games. The seamless integration of fights intoThis is THE definitive Mortal Kombat and a strong return to form for the series. The combat (kombat?) itself is faster, more fluid, and easy to pick up. Most characters have unique play styles and it is fun to experiment with finding your favorites. It's gory and satisfying, and the story mode is the new standard bearer for all future fighting games. The seamless integration of fights into the story modes cutscene is flawless (see what I did there? ^__^ ) and this is the kind of storytelling I'd love to see in Blazblue, Street Fighter, Tekken, and all other fighting games. Especially with this being the first big fighting since Marvel vs Capcom 3, it is even more obvious how great this game is in comparison, looking at how much MvC3 was lacking in not just story mode, but in extra modes and content. Mortal Kombat has lots of stuff for you to do with the Krypt, challenges, arcade mode, tag matches, tutorials, training, and more. Lots of work was put into this game and it shows. However, there are a few flaws, among them is Shao Kahn's insane cheapness that makes you have to fight like a complete coward in order to win. The Krypt has good stuff in it, but it's all vague and arbitrary...and in order to get everything you really need to grind, grind, grind, and grind through arcade mode and the challenges. It's most advisable to just beat Story Mode (which gives you 100,000+ tokens) and then look at a list online for what number the items you want in the Krypt are. Other than that, I have to praise the roster, the art style, and the combat. It's a job well done and I think this game sets the bar for what other fighters should aspire to offer. This felt like a $60 well spent, unlike Marvel vs Capcom 3 which was the bare minimum and left me feeling ripped off. Expand
  12. Jan 3, 2013
    Great game and great classic and also a great return,Mortal Kombat is the best figthing game ever in my opinion,the story is interesting,the online is not bad at all,now they're working with the "Warner Bros",and they did a great job,the graphics were a great improvement !
  13. Dec 31, 2012
    After the disappointing bore that was MK Vs. DC, I had cautious optimism for this game. Yes, all my favorite characters were there, yes the fatalities looked amazing, but Mortal Kombat had been in a steady nose dive, and with the demise of Midway, I really wasn't sure where this game would go. I have to say it's amazing and probably the best in the series. They FINALLY found the rightAfter the disappointing bore that was MK Vs. DC, I had cautious optimism for this game. Yes, all my favorite characters were there, yes the fatalities looked amazing, but Mortal Kombat had been in a steady nose dive, and with the demise of Midway, I really wasn't sure where this game would go. I have to say it's amazing and probably the best in the series. They FINALLY found the right amount of characters without putting in too many, the fatalities actually crossed the line, and the extras are really really nice. This is the quintessential MK game, and if not for Street Fighter IV, it'd be the best fighting game for the seventh generation of consoles. Expand
  14. Nov 22, 2012
    If it aint broken don't fix it... Exactly! While the gameplay remains pretty much the same as the older the games, the added violent x ray attacks make it even so much more fun.

Based on how i feel, Mortal Kombat isn't 'perfect', but still back to the roots and better than ever for both story and gameplay department!
  15. Oct 29, 2012
    Its about time we got modern Mortal Kombat, i was tired of having to play street fighter when i had a craving for fighting games. This game has everything that should be in a fighter. Great story, continious damage as the fight goes on, lots of combos and special moves, and best of all, fatalities. The only reason this game isnt a 10 is because of some cheap boss fights, and the damn demonIts about time we got modern Mortal Kombat, i was tired of having to play street fighter when i had a craving for fighting games. This game has everything that should be in a fighter. Great story, continious damage as the fight goes on, lots of combos and special moves, and best of all, fatalities. The only reason this game isnt a 10 is because of some cheap boss fights, and the damn demon in the graveyard store. Go stand in the graveyard for about 10 minutes, and you will hate him too. All in all, a triumphant return to a great fighter Expand
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    A perfect fighting game. Takes everything we've loved from the Mortal Kombat series and puts it into this game. A great variety of fighters to play with in the arcade ladder, plus many other modes like the challenge tower a great story mode and fun mini games. The multiplayer is perfect and king of the hill is a great and perfectly executed idea. With the price you can buy the game at thisA perfect fighting game. Takes everything we've loved from the Mortal Kombat series and puts it into this game. A great variety of fighters to play with in the arcade ladder, plus many other modes like the challenge tower a great story mode and fun mini games. The multiplayer is perfect and king of the hill is a great and perfectly executed idea. With the price you can buy the game at this point, I really don't see why anyone who enjoys fighting games wouldn't add it to his/her collection. Have fun playing and remember to fatality the sh*t out of your opponents. Mortal Kombat at it's best. Expand
  17. May 26, 2012
    The best fighting in the world ! Great Singleplayer,Fatatity,familiar characters it's fantastic! Marvel vs Capcom is very easy and boring, my choise is MK ! Please buy it and remember it's your mortal kombat !
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    Ever since the demo, it was quite clear to me that Mortal Kombat would be my new favourite fighter. The online menu is the best I've ever seen for a fighting game, while animation is sharp and quick. The story, though at times overacted and a little goofy, is engaging and true to the series and its history. There is absolutely nothing I'd change about this game. I eagerly await the next MK.
  19. Mar 20, 2012
    A lot of people complain about being juggled in this game, or that MK has a block button, but if I'm going to be honest, Mortal Kombat has to be my favorite fighting game BECAUSE of the gameplay. in SF, or Tekken, someone can win the game simply by button mashing, hence why I pissed a lot of my friends off when i beat them at SF without knowing what I'm doing. In MK9, if you button mashA lot of people complain about being juggled in this game, or that MK has a block button, but if I'm going to be honest, Mortal Kombat has to be my favorite fighting game BECAUSE of the gameplay. in SF, or Tekken, someone can win the game simply by button mashing, hence why I pissed a lot of my friends off when i beat them at SF without knowing what I'm doing. In MK9, if you button mash or don't know any moves or combos, you get your ass absolutely kicked. A great fighting game, flawless graphics, and showing why 2D fighting still rules. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    I could sit here & list the many reasons why this game is amazing but it's easier to just say: it's what hardcore Mortal Kombat fans have been waiting for since Mortal Kombat II.
  21. Mar 9, 2012
    This Mortal Kombat is in my opinion in the top 5 games of 2011. Your getting your moneys worth if you like the mortal kombat series. If you are more into street fighters slow confusing gameplay (IMO) id skip this game. It has a fun challenge tower, cheesy but entertaining story mode, and fun tag team action. The big drawback is the extremely difficult boss fights. Shao Kahn is the 2011This Mortal Kombat is in my opinion in the top 5 games of 2011. Your getting your moneys worth if you like the mortal kombat series. If you are more into street fighters slow confusing gameplay (IMO) id skip this game. It has a fun challenge tower, cheesy but entertaining story mode, and fun tag team action. The big drawback is the extremely difficult boss fights. Shao Kahn is the 2011 most difficult boss (IMO). He will test your patience. This game is at least worth a rent, but id suggest buying it. Expand
  22. Jan 27, 2012
    I'm giving the game a 9/10, I was hesitant to buy the game after reading a few of the reviews here on metacritic that claimed "cheating" boss fights and severe input lag both are which obviously now only claimed by those who have no willingness to learn or strategise. The combo system in this game is as great as all it's early games and easily picked up by those willing to take the time toI'm giving the game a 9/10, I was hesitant to buy the game after reading a few of the reviews here on metacritic that claimed "cheating" boss fights and severe input lag both are which obviously now only claimed by those who have no willingness to learn or strategise. The combo system in this game is as great as all it's early games and easily picked up by those willing to take the time to learn each fighters abilities and combos. The game is matched equally in it's visuals which look great. The story while not flawless, works as it was intended although not being able to skip cinematics can become tedious at times. Which brings me to fatalities.. The only thing wrong with them is that they are a bit too preset things like Kung lao s hat being cut in 2 and still staying on is where the visuals let down, would have been nice to see a bit more attention to detail but overall the fulfill their purpose. Great game for anyone willing to learn at least basic combos, worth the money. Expand
  23. Dec 6, 2011
    Best Mortal Kombat ever.
    It is our dream in 1996.
    All others fightins always sucks.
    Especially I hate Street Fighter.
    Goodbye Teeken, hello again Mortal Kombat!
  24. Nov 26, 2011
    Blood gore violence pain fatalities blood death and more freaking blood!! Isnt that what mortal kombats all about? This game turns all of that up plus its gives you new characters new moves stages endings fatalities music but at the same time being nostalgic!!!!!
  25. MFZ
    Nov 20, 2011
    Solid HD reproduction of a classic old school fighting game.

Graphics - 8.5 Sound - 9.0 Gameplay - 9.0 Replay Value - 8.5 I played through the story mode and was surprised how much it sucked me into it. It was more than I expected - even though I shouldn't have been THAT surprised after playing through Deception's story mode ! Test your Luck matches are interesting and sometimes funny.
    Solid HD reproduction of a classic old school fighting game.

Graphics - 8.5
    Sound - 9.0
    Gameplay - 9.0
    Replay Value - 8.5

Test your Luck matches are interesting and sometimes funny. It adds a twist to the game especially when playing with a couple friends - not sure if it's available online though.

Online is eh. I've experienced a little bit of input lag with half the games I've played. It's not my internet provider or router either.

If you're a fan of Mortal Kombat, get this game.
  26. Nov 19, 2011
    The best fighting game I've ever played. Shao Kahn is more badass than ever, also all the characters an those amazing Locations. The story is excellent. The quality of Netherrealm studios has grown biggest than ever. Thanks Ed!
  27. Nov 16, 2011
    MORTAL KOMBAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MORTAL KOMBAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a huge fan of Mortal Kombat. I have the first movie on Blue-ray, and have even watched the cartoon at some point (I can't remember **** from it, but who cares). This game is everything that I had hoped for. I've played Mortal Kombat 2 and I will admit the game has aged. The game's punch mechanics were incredibly dated and everyone had the same moves. There is none of that here. Every character is unique and has their own style of fighting. Even basic moves like uppercuts and sweeps are given different animations and incorporate different fighting styles. For example: Quan-Chi's sweep is a full rotation on one foot, while Cyrax's sweep is only 180 degrees, incorporates his hand for balance, and ends in a slight pause. The gameplay is balanced (now that the patches have gotten through) and the fatalities are awesomely gory. For those of you complaining about Shao Kahn I just have one thing to say: Quit your **** and stop sucking! I don't think I have heard so many people complaining about a fighting game boss since...ever! What were you people expecting? It's not like you can take him online. As for his hammer that can stun you, try forward jumping over it. This is the only complaint that a lot of people have mentioned and I can't understand why. The story mode is all sorts of cheesy awesomeness and the online play is fun as all hell. If there was one thing I have to complain about is the fact that you couldn't play as the villians in the story mode. I love Ermac and Baraka, so not having a chapter for them kind of disappointed me. But dispite that, I can't give this game anything lower than a ten out of ten. It's simply that amazing of a game that deserves more praise than what most critics are giving it. Best Mortal Kombat game ever made.
  28. Nov 9, 2011
    This newest effort in the Mortal Kombat franchise is definitely a welcomed one. The throwback to the early 2d gameplay, with the implementation of dozens of modes and game types make this game chalk full of content that will keep you playing for days on end. The super meter seems quite balanced and adds whole new depth to the game. X-ray moves are brutal, harsh and unforgiving. The onlyThis newest effort in the Mortal Kombat franchise is definitely a welcomed one. The throwback to the early 2d gameplay, with the implementation of dozens of modes and game types make this game chalk full of content that will keep you playing for days on end. The super meter seems quite balanced and adds whole new depth to the game. X-ray moves are brutal, harsh and unforgiving. The only peeve I have with this game is that the netcode isn't as polished as I hoped, but NetherRealm Studios have seemed to done a pretty good job with fixing it recently. The dashing looks quite silly too, I think I may enjoy this game with a dedicated run button as seen in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2011
    Toasty!!!!!!! if your a fan of MK this is true game for you. The story mode is fun, challenge tower kinda sucks, but the online is where it's at. The lag in some of this online has pissed many people off though. If you can see past that this game rocks with fatalitys and x-ray bone crushing moves.
  30. Oct 29, 2011
    Definitely a must have for any PS3 owner. They were finally able to carry over every aspect people loves about the earlier MK games and run with it. Nothing fancy or extremely flashy, just lots of action, lots of violence, and lots of blood - just how we like it. I will also add that the inclusion of Kratos for the PS3 version is also a huge plus. Even though he's not at all related toDefinitely a must have for any PS3 owner. They were finally able to carry over every aspect people loves about the earlier MK games and run with it. Nothing fancy or extremely flashy, just lots of action, lots of violence, and lots of blood - just how we like it. I will also add that the inclusion of Kratos for the PS3 version is also a huge plus. Even though he's not at all related to the series, he still just seems to fit in with the rest of the characters. Maybe its just the fact that he enjoys dashing his opponents into bloody bits. I hope that they hang onto him for future games and that they can add other (similarly appropriate) characters to the mix. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2011
    The silky smooth combat combined with the classic twists on the fatalities in the game, of which there are at least two per character not including stage specific ones, and naturally some hidden things that I don't want to spoil here.
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    A very good reboot for the series. 3D-arenas have been axed, so the combat system is simpler and at the same time more refined. [May 2011]
    Mortal Kombat is a great service to fans, but not only fans. It's also a great proposal for anyone who is interested in fighting games.