8.2

1. Sep 4, 2011
    Get over here!!! and play this, MK definitely is a most own game for fighting fans seriously. I'm a little picky with the MK games because of the huge amount of gore, brutality and violent animations never called me to play ever a game of the series. But this time was the exception , MK is not just a simple knock your friend's goofy face, it offers big awesome content that is not avoidable . And every character ( even Johnny Cage ) have an impossible to not look animations of the fatalities. Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    A great experience that takes you back to the good days of Mortal Kombat. I was very skeptical when I heard about a new Mortal Kombat, but this time the developers have truly delivered a game worthy of it's name. all of that coupled with all the great modes and features makes this game a must buy for fans of the series and fighting games in general.
  3. Jun 1, 2011
    I wouldn't say that I'm the biggest fan of Mortal Kombat because i have only played Armagedon and vs. dc universe, but i love Mortal Kombat, im still a newcomer but i was hooked the minute i started playing Armagedon. I don't have to be a long time Mortal Kombat fan to say that vs. dc universe absolutely sucked. One of the main things I love about MK is the gore and fatalities, and thats exactly what dc universe didn't have, but anyways, I absolutely love this new installment. This game is absolutely amazing, I finally bought it last saturday and I haven't stopped playing it since. Im a senior in high school and I have even left school early just to go home and play this game, call me a nerd or whatever but I absolutely love this game. My gf even knows to just hangup the phone when I'm playing this game cuz she knows allllllllllll of my attention is on this game. The story mode is beautiful, the plot is amazing, and the visuals/graphics are mindblowing. This game looks so good on my 1080p flatscreen tv. I have a ps3 and I can't wait till the damn playstation store is back up so i can redeem my online code so I can finally get on and experience the online features. but the story mode is amazing, challenge tower is awesome, and purchasing the krypts is exciting. Overall this game is awesome, i would give it a 15 if i could, its brutal, gory, easy for newcomers and still a challenge to MK veterans. I love this game, 15/10!! Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    This is certainly MK, but the action is more balanced and faster, which is a good thing.
    Strangely I seem to be the only one who preferred MK Deadly alliance and Deception over this one. There was just more to do in those two games. There were minigames, MK chess for example which was really fun. Online, was still a bit laggy though because fighting games need to be perfect online.
  5. ERB
    Dec 7, 2013
    The greatest mortal kombat game I have ever played.The graphics in this game is superb and it looks realistic plus the characters in this game looks cool and awesome.The game play is extremely fun especially if you play this game with a friend.The moves in this game is spectacular and even the fatalities in this game is deadly and awesome.I love the action in this game!And there are also new characters in this game like Kenshi,Freddy and krueger and more.But the best and coolest character added in this game is KRATOS!The God Of War is in here.Although Kratos is only present in the PS3.I'm not surprised because God Of War games are only exclusive in the PS3 console.Kratos in this game is so cool and his fatality"Blade Of Olympus"is hell awesome!This game also has a good story.The story in this game started when Raiden had a vision and saw himself and his comrades defeated by the almighty Shao Kahn!And there the story in this game starts.

This game is incredible and awesome and It gets a bloody score of 10/10.This game is one of the best action or fighting games of all time so you should buy this game now and try playing it.I promise you this game is fun and you will enjoy this game.
  6. May 9, 2011
    Awsome. There's not much else to say about Mortal Kombat. As soon as I started playing it felt just like it did back in the 90's, when we would gather around a small screen tv to play infinite rounds of MK on the SNES. Great cast, tons of stuff to do and unlock and rewarding gameplay. Vicious and violent; I just can't get enough out of it. If only it had slightly better graphics (and I emphasize: slightly). Mortal Kombat is almost perfect. It's not as deep as Super Street Fighter IV, but it definetely secures its place in the pantheon of great fighting games. Awsome. Awsome. Awsome. Expand
  7. Nov 19, 2013
    Parece un juego de la edad de piedra, me esperaba algo mucho mejor, parece un juego de recreativa que de consola del siglo 21, nefasto. Innovación: No innova nada, penoso. Sonido: Sonidos de recreativa, ¿eso es su potencial? Gráficos: ¿De verdad que esos gráficos son de esta generación? por favor... Jugabilidad: Movimientos toscos, simples y muy absurdos, aburre a las dos peleas. Conclusión: No cumple ni de lejos con ser un juego de Mortal Kombat, ni cumple como juego de lucha. No lo recomiendo. Expand
  8. Dec 25, 2012
    This game rocks, it has a nice campaign, a lot of challenges and a lot more of extras. I still haven't completed all in the game, because it is massive. I was expecting more characters, but when i saw the special moves and the DLC nothing more was needed.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is an awesome fighter. The graphics in this game and the sheer brutality in this game go beyond most fighters ever created. Brutality especially, Mortal Kombat IS the most brutal fighter on the market today. When playing locally with two players, the experience is the best, no lag, and maintaining a solid 60fps, yes 60fps. Online mode is a bit rough with noticeable lag, it somewhat detracts from the experience, but not by much (also note that you have to have an Online pass to play MK online). Single player is extremely rough. The battles are really difficult, and 2 on 1 battles (guess who is the 1), are difficult to the point that you might just chuck your game controller across the room. The lack of ability to skip or even pause mid-cutscene is annoying, and I would hope gets patched sometime after this review date. But thats just rambling, if you need a good fighter, get Mortal Kombat, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    Best Mortal Kombat in at least 10 years. With the x-ray system, and revamped gameplay, this is an easy recommendation. Great graphics, and animations. Great roster. A lot of fun to be had on this disc. Also, there is Kratos.
  11. Apr 24, 2011
    Growing up, I spent tons of quarters - and later dollars - on Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 in the arcade and for consoles. Couldn't get enough of it. When Mortal Kombat 3 came out, however, the entire method of the game switched from one of mastering special moves to learning how to cheese with unblockable combo chains, with or without special moves, that would juggle your opponent to the point where they COULDN'T do anything. They spend a quarter and maybe get one button press before they were down and out. I adapted and got pretty decent at it, but I didn't have fun. Not like the past. Afterwards, Mortal Kombat just went on a downhill skid. And that's the biggest problem with the Mortal Kombat reboot - it goes back to the Mortal Kombat 3 style of play, not Mortal Kombat 1 or 2 where timing and skill mattered as opposed to picking a character with the cheesiest juggle combo. And that's all the new MK is about - juggling your opponent(s) into combos that can't be blocked and can't be broken and then unleashing a 9-10 hit string that takes down their life to near dead.

Sure, giving the beat down is fun (at first), but if you're constantly being beaten on simply because someone chose a specific character, it's not fun. I was hoping for a return to timing and skill, not a return to the MK3 combo cheesefest.

Story mode is OK, not really the greatest but probably the best in a recent fighting game, however the game loves putting you in 2v1 situations that are disgustingly hard (see combo cheesefest) even on Medium difficulty. The voice over work is some of the worst in recent game memory. X-Ray mode is interesting, but it gets old after the first few times while the characters' signature special moves are less powerful than many of the simple two-button combos themselves. Graphically, the game is OK, but nothing to shout about and looks dated by a few years.

I'm sure people who only started playing MK when MK3 or UMK3 were out will be in love with this game. But as someone who grew up with MK, who remembers learning the moves, the skill and timing of how to deploy them, this game is an utter disappointment. Just another bland fighter where people are rewarded for learning how to play at the cheesiest, cheapest level.
  12. May 15, 2011
    This is one of the Best Fighting Games of all time! everything from the Graphics to the Gameplay and to the amount of variety is seriously masterful. I can easily recommend this Game to Anyone who has a passion for Games and they might be even more impressed with the result they get in this package! 10/10
  13. Nov 26, 2011
    Blood gore violence pain fatalities blood death and more freaking blood!! Isnt that what mortal kombats all about? This game turns all of that up plus its gives you new characters new moves stages endings fatalities music but at the same time being nostalgic!!!!!
  14. Apr 26, 2013
    Well, JapanMan's review sums it all up nicely but I just wanted to add my thoughts on the game anyway.
    I was a Mortal Kombat fan back in the early 90s from 1 through to Trilogy but never liked the rest...Until now.

The game feels very much like those original MK games, only without the Broken movies, and Cheap AI tactics of pre-empting your button presses.
    On the whole, it's a very
    balanced fighter and of the 20+ characters i feel they each have their uses and none of greatly over-powered. Some are easier to use than others but once you get the buttons down they are all pretty close.
    I also really like the choice of characters. With over 60 to pick from I feel they chose all of the best, and main characters. I'm particularly happy they did add Smoke, as he was always my favourite. Worth noting too that, unlike the originals each character really has their own playing style and move list unlike in the originals were Reptile was basically just a green Sub-Zero. Here, all the main ninjas are in (except Rain) but are all very unique.

This game is very violent, although you do unlock the option to turn the blood and gore off if you wish.

Story Mode is a very nice addition and is a lot deeper and more expansive than I expected. I'd estimate it could be about 6-8 hours long depending on how good you are. Not bad for a fighting game!

4 player offline tag matches are great fun if you have some friends around, or just stick to 2v2 against the Ai or 1v1 etc.
    There are a lot of game modes on offer, and a load of extra content to unlock in the Krypt.
    Again, this is all more than I expected.

The beauty of this is that these things are all in addition to the actual fighting mechanics being brilliant, rather than fancy features on a poor game.

The attention to detail in the backgrounds and stages is as good as it comes. The subway level for instance has trains passing by and above you which sends paper flying across the screen and if you have surround sound on it can get quite immersive.
    The stages themselves are mostly the old classic ones with some extras. It's a good idea to play through story mode 1st and you'll see where each stage fits in to the plot.

1 thing I always loved about MK is the depth in the characters Bios and back stories, all of which is on display here and even played out in hours of cut scenes which are brilliantly done.

The X-Ray attacks are a nice touch, although learning not to use them is the best way to save for multiple powerful attacks or combo breaking etc. But if you have it ready and you're opponent is nearing death it's a nice way to finish them off!
    Fatalaties are possibly the most brutal I've seen too helped of course by the brilliant graphics.

Also, 3 of my friends pre-ordered this game just from the demo and neither were MK fans and all think the full game is great. The demo does it no justice really, as always.

This is the best fighting game I've ever played and as high as my expectations of it were from numerous footage and the demo, it has surpassed them all considerably.
  15. Jul 31, 2011
    The Story is okay and quite lengthy but I would prefer a Deception type konquest. The challenge tower is very fun but wasn't as rewarding as i hoped and not that challenging mostly as well as not being as long as expected which is a good thing in the sense that the challenges become repetitive, the final prize being only mileena's whore costume...which is nice. The xrays are cool but their charm will ware in a matter of time. The character list was very good and had most of the important characters not fat, farting bo-raicho. JK. but anyway i was nevertheless content with it and the most fun part of the game is obviously multiplayer so make sure you play online or have someone to play with otherwise it's not worth it. oh and Kratos is awesome!. 8/10. Expand
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    This is THE definitive Mortal Kombat and a strong return to form for the series. The combat (kombat?) itself is faster, more fluid, and easy to pick up. Most characters have unique play styles and it is fun to experiment with finding your favorites. It's gory and satisfying, and the story mode is the new standard bearer for all future fighting games. The seamless integration of fights into the story modes cutscene is flawless (see what I did there? ^__^ ) and this is the kind of storytelling I'd love to see in Blazblue, Street Fighter, Tekken, and all other fighting games. Especially with this being the first big fighting since Marvel vs Capcom 3, it is even more obvious how great this game is in comparison, looking at how much MvC3 was lacking in not just story mode, but in extra modes and content. Mortal Kombat has lots of stuff for you to do with the Krypt, challenges, arcade mode, tag matches, tutorials, training, and more. Lots of work was put into this game and it shows. However, there are a few flaws, among them is Shao Kahn's insane cheapness that makes you have to fight like a complete coward in order to win. The Krypt has good stuff in it, but it's all vague and arbitrary...and in order to get everything you really need to grind, grind, grind, and grind through arcade mode and the challenges. It's most advisable to just beat Story Mode (which gives you 100,000+ tokens) and then look at a list online for what number the items you want in the Krypt are. Other than that, I have to praise the roster, the art style, and the combat. It's a job well done and I think this game sets the bar for what other fighters should aspire to offer. This felt like a $60 well spent, unlike Marvel vs Capcom 3 which was the bare minimum and left me feeling ripped off. Expand
  17. Sep 17, 2011
    It's paradise for everyone who has been waiting for real fighting wihout ,,Street Fighter" or ,,Tekken" in title. Check it out, now! Great graphics and all game modes
  18. Nov 1, 2011
    Toasty!!!!!!! if your a fan of MK this is true game for you. The story mode is fun, challenge tower kinda sucks, but the online is where it's at. The lag in some of this online has pissed many people off though. If you can see past that this game rocks with fatalitys and x-ray bone crushing moves.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing. Beautiful graphics and loads of content to unlock in the Krypt. I would love for the game to add newer characters in the DLC though. It just doesn't feel right without the entire roster from MK 4, Deadly Alliance and Deception.
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    WOW! I love this game. So glad they went back to the 2D fighting and fatalities. It is easy enough to play for a beginner yet still complex enough for the Hardcore MK fan. I also love all the original maps remastered in 3D HD. They look great. And KRATOS on the PS3 version is a really amazing idea. Sorry XBox guys, He's all ours!!!! lol
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Best MK ever. I got it at a midnight release and have been playing just about non-stop since. I really couldn't ask for more other than to include an updated, current-gen Konquest mode, but there is more than enough single player content to make up for it. Graphically the game looks great. Although some of the character models look a little strange (Smoke, what's up with the fro?) they all look really detailed and cool. The arenas look great and the fact that this PS3 game actually takes advantage of my TV and is displayed in full 1080p is awesome as most PS3 games don't. Sound is great as always, the evil announcer returns and all of the quirky character voices are in there. The soundtrack also rocks. There are a ton of game modes and unlockable content unlike any of Capcom's recent fighters (Stop nickle and diming your customers!). Standard arcade, tag matches, versus, and online multiplayer are all here, as well as many others. Test your sight, might, and luck also are thrown in. There is a new mode reminiscent of how it used to be in the arcade with a group of people standing around a cabinet waiting to play the winner or just watch the gore and talk trash, this is really cool. There is a story mode where you'll be playing through several chapters, changing out fighters every 4 or 5 fights and the plot is easily the best yet as it isn't as goofy as usual and seemed to me like watching the first movie. In story mode you'll unlock 2 things, one of which is really cool but I won't spoil it. Challenge Tower, if you are like me, is where you'll spend a lot of time. There are 300 challenges that range from straight-forward matches to fighting off hoards of zombies, matches where you can only damage your opponent in the light, in a few matches Johnny Cage just beats up his stunt-double and director, what a jerk. They get really tough but you can pay some Koins and bypass them. You win currency for just about anything you do and spend it once again in the Krypt, though this time it is a 3D space you can explore. There are costumes, fatalities, artwork and various other things to unlock, lots of things actually. This MK takes place between MK1 and MK3, so most of the characters and environments come from that period, although they have been updated. The fighting engine is back in the 2D plane and while simplified from the overly-complex style of Deception, Deadly Alliance, and Armageddon (no more stances or multiple fighting styles), the game retains the classic depth from the good old days. Old school gore is back and has been turned up to 11, no more PG-13 fatalities like MK vs DC Universe, and now there are gruesome x-ray moves. Other than Smoke's goofy character model (which can be swapped out for one unlocked later) I really don't have anything to complain about. Netherrealm poured their heart and souls into this game and it really shows, and the fan service is everywhere to be seen. Between the lengthy Challenge Tower (depending on your skill) and the lengthy story mode, there is plenty of single player content to keep you going for a while. And then there is the local versus and online play so you'll be playing this for a long time. I recommend this to any fighting game fan and if you like MK you probably already have it. If you don't, go out and buy it right now. Expand
  22. May 8, 2011
    Nostalgia central. Mortal Kombat 9 brings the bang. I barely enjoy any fighters, but this sucker I love! Best fighting game in my opinion. Loaded with lots of value including the really decent story mode. MK has brought myself and friends many hours of play. My only crit has to be, when unlocking new costumes, the updated art does not appear on the character selection menu :/ Other than that, awesome game! Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2013
    Mortal Kombat isn't just for nostalgic purposes, it is, in fact, one of the greatest games the franchise has seen in recent years and is just the reboot it needed. For the pros: it's the most beautiful, bloodiest MK game to date; graphics are glossier than ever, making fatalities (and the newly featured X-Ray moves) gorier than ever; everyone's favorite characters from the original trilogy (Noob, Ermac, Mileena, etc.) are redesigned superbly whilst stories are given more depth (even broken characters such as Kabal and Stryker are, at last, likable); the 2-D mechanics suit gameplay well and are an improvement over the 3-D mechanics introduced in the previous installments; excellent single-player and multi-player value; return of Test Your Might, as well as the newly featured Test Your Strike, Sight, and Luck are nice additions. However, its cons: its "dial-up" kombos and special features can be executed at ease and rob the gameplay of some of its difficulty; Challenge Tower can be "hit-or-miss"; DLCs are overpriced; despite the GOD's franchise similarly violent content, Kratos character just isn't that interesting in the MK series (hell, one of his fatalities lacks any blood whatsoever). But overall, one of the best fighters of 2011 and should be played by anyone who isn't squeamish. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    Somewhat better than the last offering against the DC Universe which really didn't have much brutality at all. This MK dishes blood out in pails. And the X-ray mode is a great addition. Graphics are great but some of the models are downright ugly (even with Sonia). Every female character has the requisite DD cup up top of course. With the MK pedigree, I was hoping they'd go back to the photo-realistic style and costumed actors that set the arcade console above the rest back in the day. At least throw in some of the original voicework for old times' sake... Anyway there at least seems to be continuity as the story builds on the mythology that's been going on through the PS2 titles Deadly Alliance, Annihilation, Deception, and Armageddon. I explored the various options: Krypt, gallery, tutorial. Typical fare and it was good to see help with fatalities. I couldn't get the social messaging to work very well though. The game's associated website may be swamped with all the new sign-on's. The fighting is smooth and deep. Some of the control timing is challenging and casual players like myself will find even beginner mode isn't a walk in the park. The original rosters from MK1, 2, and 3 are fully included along with some select choices from newer MK's. However, the characters seem to be limited to a single intro which gets old real quick. At least story mode looks well written for as far as I've gotten. Rumors of being able to use your own soundtrack in-game (a la the MK movies) are untrue, unfortunately. Still, the game will see replay value with purchases from the Krypt and of course online. Finally, bringing the God of War into the MK universe not only rewards us PS3 owners but also reminds us of the awesomeness of Kratos. Not so sure I should have paid full price but it does also buy you the online pass. A must-buy for true MK fans. Expand
  25. Apr 30, 2011
    Putting aside how manly the female characters in the game look, this is my favorite incarnation of the MK series. The amount of detail and love that was put into this game really show in Story mode. I'm surprised that I've never seen a fighting game's story progress like this, and it works really well. Basically it takes about 10 different characters and plays though the game using each character for a couple of fights. This gets you familiar with most of the roster, as well as tells the Mortal Kombat stories together in the best way it's ever been told. Expand
  26. Mar 22, 2014
    Story: 7.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9 out of 10 Gameplay: 9.5 out of 10 Fun: 9.5 out of 10 (depending on difficulty) Controls: 9 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8 out of 10
    Re-play: 10 out of 10
    Audio: 9 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: None from my experience
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm in my 30's and remember vividly going to the arcades to play MK1, then MK2. Talk about a blast, with 20 people putting their quarters on the machine to get in line to play, everyone stoked about the game, crowding around, getting into it. God those were good times. Those may never be brought back due to everyone playing from their households now, but let me tell you, this MK is BEYOND anything I could have hoped for. The line-up of characters is perfect, the attention to detail in the graphics is unreal as you can see in the stage backgrounds, Krypt, fatalities, etc. And if you wanted brutal, this game is EASILY the most extreme and gory MK so far. There is a TON of single player content to go through with story modes, challenge tower, regular old school fight ladder with specific endings for each character like the old days, etc etc etc. The fighting engine is pretty fast paced and I'm working on getting used to that, it is definitely much deeper than old MK games with the power bar and options you have with that. Literally every special move comes in two forms due to the power bar and they all affect the opponent differently so there is endless combo options. Tag team is kick ass and easy to learn also. Seriously, this is a game for the ages. DO NOT PASS THIS ONE UP. Expand
  28. May 11, 2011
    This Mortal Kombat finally goes back to its roots. It has the feel of the classic MK games many of us loved back in the arcade days and adds some new gameplay elements that improve of the original formula. The single player is surprisingly deep for a fighting game, it has a substantial story and is a bit like playing a Mortal Kombat movie. I'm typically a Street Fighter fan but I've been having a lot of fun with Mortal Kombat. It is very easy to do the moves and specials so anyone can play unlike Street Fighter, but there's still enough depth to reward more advanced players. If you're you used to be, or are a fighting game fan but find the timing for combo's a bit too stringent in Street Fighter, you'll enjoy Mortal Kombat, it's more pick up an play with added layers for the hardcore. Expand
  29. Apr 23, 2011
    This game takes MK back to its roots while improving and adding depth to the gamplay. The single player components alone give you a ton of gameplay, and the addition of up to four player playing tag team makes this a great game for game night (if you and your friends are into fighting games). Hardcore MK fans, this is the game you have most likely been waiting for. Casual MK fans, you certainly enjoy this rebirth of classic MK. Casual fighting game fans, you will enjoy its accessibility. Non fighting game fans, give it a try before you buy it, it may or may not be your cup of tea. Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    If you are a fan of the old MK, you should love this. A great cast of characters from the classic games, great graphics, satisfying fight engine, and the return of the fatality the way it was meant to be.
  31. May 19, 2011
    So close.. I love this game, the story is really impressive because there is close to no loading and the graphics are amazing. Its worth picking up, but there is one problem... The bosses are very over powered. Many times they completely ignore the attacks I throw at them.... So thats my only problem that notched it down from a 10 to a 8
  32. May 17, 2011
    As an oldschool Mortal Kombat fan, i have to say this is one of the best MK's to day ! My personal favourite still is Mortal Kombat 1, on the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis. The game has loads of content, plays like a charm, and is just so damn fun when you play it with your friends, especially tag mode. The story mode may indeed be a bit hard, but on beginner mode (Don't care about trophies or reputation.) it's quite easy to beat. I see myself as a Hardcore / Casual gamer, i play games for fun, not to be the toughest baddest mf out there :) I Used to be someone like that, but now that i'm 30, fun and game play are all that count for me ! (And a steady frame rate but now i'm getting really off-topic here, 60 fps in a game, is really underrated in this generation.) Anyway, very good game, very fun ! I would recommend this to anyone who likes fighting games ! Thank you Ed Boon, and your team, as i have played every Mortal Kombat that has been released since the first one ! And i liked them all ! Expand
  33. Oct 29, 2012
    Its about time we got modern Mortal Kombat, i was tired of having to play street fighter when i had a craving for fighting games. This game has everything that should be in a fighter. Great story, continious damage as the fight goes on, lots of combos and special moves, and best of all, fatalities. The only reason this game isnt a 10 is because of some cheap boss fights, and the damn demon in the graveyard store. Go stand in the graveyard for about 10 minutes, and you will hate him too. All in all, a triumphant return to a great fighter Expand
  34. Mar 9, 2012
    This Mortal Kombat is in my opinion in the top 5 games of 2011. Your getting your moneys worth if you like the mortal kombat series. If you are more into street fighters slow confusing gameplay (IMO) id skip this game. It has a fun challenge tower, cheesy but entertaining story mode, and fun tag team action. The big drawback is the extremely difficult boss fights. Shao Kahn is the 2011 most difficult boss (IMO). He will test your patience. This game is at least worth a rent, but id suggest buying it. Expand
  35. Jun 2, 2013
    This is what Mortal Kombat is about! It's great. Gameplay is fantastic. Characters are presented well. Best fighting game out there! Still have the clash between Scorpion (my favorite) and Sub Zero.
  36. nop
    Apr 27, 2011
    Unplayable because of two very serious problems:
    Terrible input lag and low overall speed.
    Ugly art and 3d models. Woman characters are especially hideous.

Seriously, you call this game "mature"? No mature person will tolerate this level of artistic/technical impotence for more than ten minutes.
  37. Apr 24, 2011
    The game outshines itself and brings back a deep nostalgia not found in prior MK titles. Ed Boon hits a home run with this one, as the game is rich in kontent, packing well a short story, a long Tower of 300 challenges, a brand new krypt and so much more. Due to the recent hacking aimed at Sony, it has become utterly stressful not being able to play this title online with your buddies. Nonetheless, the game does have a few drawbacks worth mentioning: some fatalities have been rehashed and simply remade with a newer engine (lazy or lack of budget). Also I hate that some body parts sometimes fall stiff during certain fatalities e.g. Kung Lao's first fatality. Also, during the story - there are too many bugs and shows a serious lack of effort from the creators towards graphics. The X-Rays additionally become dull after some time. Otherwise Mortal Kombat is a great game, lots of fun, bringing back the "Test" mini games, and of coarse the core gameplay is there. Although sometimes like any other fighting game, things happen that don't always make sense. I give this game a solid 9. Now let's just wait until PSN goes up again. Expand
  38. Sep 16, 2011
    This game is what every Mortal Kombat fan has been waiting for ! It answers the question of, Did they lose it after all these years? With a resounding NO!

This game not only proves that MK vs DC was a fluke, but it will win back all the doubters and lost fans with a total throw back to the days of old school MK.

The controls are very tight and responsive, and you'll have no problem
    jumping right into the heat of battle. There are a few modes to select from, all of which will help build your skills to be a competitor.

The story mode puts you in most characters shoes to follow a fairly watered down story and pretty much teach you the ropes. It also tells alot of the back story of the whole MK universe.

The challenge tower is a new spin on training if you ask me, it puts you in random situations you need to overcome. You'll have to fight with no arms, or no special moves, or throws only,etc. This mode becomes close to impossible by the end, but if you made it that far, you'll be well prepared.

Graphically this is the best looking MK to date, and you'll be chilled to see some of the devastating slow mo attacks. Even clothes become warn throughout the battles, and bruises and cuts become visible the longer fights draw out.

The Fatalities are back in all their gory glory too! They seem to have doubled down since the weak MK vs DC showing. And the blood and gore has been amped up to 11, which as a long time fan I can say they have come back into their own.

This game is what a fighting game should be, fun, heart pounding, and intense. If you're a long time fan or a newcomer you'll love this game. With a large roster of characters, plus DLC and online matchmaking, you can't go wrong picking this title up.
  39. Nov 16, 2011
    MORTAL KOMBAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a huge fan of Mortal Kombat. I have the first movie on Blue-ray, and have even watched the cartoon at some point (I can't remember **** from it, but who cares). This game is everything that I had hoped for. I've played Mortal Kombat 2 and I will admit the game has aged. The game's punch mechanics were incredibly dated and everyone had the same
    moves. There is none of that here. Every character is unique and has their own style of fighting. Even basic moves like uppercuts and sweeps are given different animations and incorporate different fighting styles. For example: Quan-Chi's sweep is a full rotation on one foot, while Cyrax's sweep is only 180 degrees, incorporates his hand for balance, and ends in a slight pause. The gameplay is balanced (now that the patches have gotten through) and the fatalities are awesomely gory. For those of you complaining about Shao Kahn I just have one thing to say: Quit your **** and stop sucking! I don't think I have heard so many people complaining about a fighting game boss since...ever! What were you people expecting? It's not like you can take him online. As for his hammer that can stun you, try forward jumping over it. This is the only complaint that a lot of people have mentioned and I can't understand why. The story mode is all sorts of cheesy awesomeness and the online play is fun as all hell. If there was one thing I have to complain about is the fact that you couldn't play as the villians in the story mode. I love Ermac and Baraka, so not having a chapter for them kind of disappointed me. But dispite that, I can't give this game anything lower than a ten out of ten. It's simply that amazing of a game that deserves more praise than what most critics are giving it. Best Mortal Kombat game ever made. Expand
  40. Mar 10, 2012
    this game is one of the best fighting games i have ever played but it does have some problems for example a few bosses are overpowered and the story does feature some 2 or 1 battles. however the x-rays and fatality's are still amazing with good detail added in to them. then again when you see some one float in the air and there neck snap but still phone god and just get up again still confuses me. Finlay this game is great for co-op and just for fun but only do the story when you know your way around every character BECAUSE YOU DON'T PICK WHO TO PLAY AS. this did annoy me if you didn't notice by the big bold letters. Expand
  41. Apr 25, 2011
    This is definitely THE BEST game in the entire MK series. It's a perfect balance of everything. They went back to the M-rating, it's on a 2D plane, and the fatalities are so much better. The mechanics are really good as well. This is possibly the best fighting game ever!
  42. Nov 3, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is a great game; it captures the spirit of the series perfectly, fleshing out an absolute classic franchise and revisiting familiar ground at the same time. Where the game differs from most beat-em-ups is in it's slew of content, from gameplay additions to extra modes and unlockables. The game is not simply a port of an arcade title like so many of it's peers, it is a console game down to it's brittle bones and as such presents hours of action offline as much as on, with a substantial story mode and merciless challenge tower being just two if it's many offerings. The kombat itself has never been better, it's easy to pick up and offers incredible depth. Each fighter boasts a robust move set, bolstered by the addition of an effective, tactical 'super' bar that both modifies specials and provides instant relief. Factor in the addition of tag team battles and a strong online offering, and the blood should be flowing freely for some time. Expand
  43. May 17, 2011
    My relationship with fighting games is more of a nostalgia than actual interest. As a youngster i played of course all those editions of Street Fighter 2, lots of Mortal Kombat. But these games sequels lacked something to keep me playing. After years and years I only ventured once into the genre for a few days with Soul Calibur IV... it was nice... than came Street Fighter 4... of course I waited for the SUPER Edition... and guess what... played
    the "ladder" and... well what shall I do now? The online modes weren't very
    interesting for me... the game is indeed far more advanced... and
    somehow... well... I won't resell it... but it is on the shelf for some
    time now...

AND THEN CAME MORTAL KOMBAT 2011!

It is so easy to start playing, using special attacks and combos... of
    course the learning curve isn't that way up to the top... which I probably
    will never reach... but I see a lot o potential for new comers, as well as
    veterans. I will not talk about fatalities and gore... because it is simply
    awesome... as is written in every review on this planet.

What I consider a major update to the fighting genre is the
    story-mode,which retells the events of the first 3 MK games. It is done
    beautifully... B-movie style... it is so corny and over the top... a guilty
    pleasure! And I don't know how Legacy will be reviewed once it is done (so far I am not a fan), but
    this story-mode is the best motion picture experience of all times,
    regarding the MK franchise of course!

I don't see the need to write about the insane amount of unlock-ables,
    modes, tag-team specific combos, challenge towers, and all this stuff that
    amounts to an unbelievable amount of content... You may argue which is the best fighter out there... but no doubt, MK9 is
    the biggest (content-wise) fighter... and for me - not being a
    tournament-profi-gamer - this accounts for far more than the supposed
    little bit better fighting system in SSF4...

A must play... for all the wrong and right reasons!
  44. Nov 9, 2011
    This newest effort in the Mortal Kombat franchise is definitely a welcomed one. The throwback to the early 2d gameplay, with the implementation of dozens of modes and game types make this game chalk full of content that will keep you playing for days on end. The super meter seems quite balanced and adds whole new depth to the game. X-ray moves are brutal, harsh and unforgiving. The only peeve I have with this game is that the netcode isn't as polished as I hoped, but NetherRealm Studios have seemed to done a pretty good job with fixing it recently. The dashing looks quite silly too, I think I may enjoy this game with a dedicated run button as seen in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Expand
  45. Nov 22, 2012
    If it aint broken don't fix it... Exactly! While the gameplay remains pretty much the same as the older the games, the added violent x ray attacks make it even so much more fun.

Based on how i feel, Mortal Kombat isn't 'perfect', but still back to the roots and better than ever for both story and gameplay department!
  46. Apr 22, 2011
    No doubt this would be a 10 game for all the MK fan boys. From the perspective of a non-MK fanatic, this game is decent but definitely not deserve a perfect score. Please note that my review does not apply to the fan boys because I understand why they would get all pumped up for it. The things I love about this game - bloody, fast paced, AWESOME single player story mode (Best story mode for a fighting game I've ever played), a lot of playable characters.The things I don't like - special moves of most characters look gay & animation is sub-par, x-ray attack animation takes too long (they are exciting to watch for the first couple of times, but after that, it just drags the pace of the battle), graphic is ok (looks like a 2009 game). To sum up, a decent fighting game that would be appreciated by its fans and accepted by most. Expand
  47. Jul 11, 2011
    I enjoyed this game for the nostalgia factor. Being in my 30's I grew up with MK and I owned all of them including Trilogy on N64. I must add that the game is not the best looking. Some characters look way too goofy, like Sonya. She looks almost like a dude with breasts. Not a big fan. The game plays like a mix of MK2 and MK4. Not necessarily a bad thing. My only problem with this game is that it feels and plays old. The combos are nothing special and the Finishing moves are way too bloody and gruesome even for my tastes. It almost as if NetherRealm wasn't trying to make good satisfying Fatalities, but go overboard as much as possible. Online is fun WHEN you get into a lag free match. Ranked games have not connected me recently. The story mode is long and pretty decent. With of stuff to unlock. This is a solid 9 for fans, but I actually enjoyed MK2, and UMK3 much more. Rent before you buy. Collapse
  48. Jan 3, 2013
    Great game and great classic and also a great return,Mortal Kombat is the best figthing game ever in my opinion,the story is interesting,the online is not bad at all,now they're working with the "Warner Bros",and they did a great job,the graphics were a great improvement !
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    A fighting game that can everyone enjoy,good balanced,great graphics,awesome roster,a very long replay value,online is great,a lot of stages,its bloody and gory then ever. 10/10
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    Glad to see this series return to it's roots and fixing a lot of the issues plaguing the last few games. If you have ever liked a MK game (especially the first few) then you will most likely enjoy this.
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    I am a hardcore fighting game enthusiast, it's my favorite genre of videogame and I'm very quick to pass harsh judgement when it's due but after spending a comfortable amount of time with MK9 I can honestly say my faith in the series is restored. A breath of fresh air from Japanese fighting game (which I adore btw) and DEFINITELY the best in the series. No need to hesitate on this one, definite buy... Expand
  52. MFZ
    Nov 20, 2011
    Solid HD reproduction of a classic old school fighting game. Graphics - 8.5 Sound - 9.0 Gameplay - 9.0 Replay Value - 8.5 I played through the story mode and was surprised how much it sucked me into it. It was more than I expected - even though I shouldn't have been THAT surprised after playing through Deception's story mode ! Test your Luck matches are interesting and sometimes funny. It adds a twist to the game especially when playing with a couple friends - not sure if it's available online though.

Online is eh. I've experienced a little bit of input lag with half the games I've played. It's not my internet provider or router either.

If you're a fan of Mortal Kombat, get this game.
  53. Nov 18, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is a very honest effort. This game does just about everything right. The fights are amazing, the controls are tight, the fatalities are (mostly) awesome, and the older characters have been modernized successfully. As you fight you will gain koins that you can spend in the Crypt. This is an interesting part of the game. For me it's an amazing idea, but also kind of convoluted and confusing at times. I appreciate so many unlockables being included, but I wish they were presented in a slightly more user-friendly fashion. This game shines in the game play department, but could use some polish on the extras. For a fighting fan, this is money well spent. This is the start of something great. Expand
  54. Oct 16, 2012
    A perfect fighting game. Takes everything we've loved from the Mortal Kombat series and puts it into this game. A great variety of fighters to play with in the arcade ladder, plus many other modes like the challenge tower a great story mode and fun mini games. The multiplayer is perfect and king of the hill is a great and perfectly executed idea. With the price you can buy the game at this point, I really don't see why anyone who enjoys fighting games wouldn't add it to his/her collection. Have fun playing and remember to fatality the sh*t out of your opponents. Mortal Kombat at it's best. Expand
  55. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best fighting games ever and by far the best Mortal Kombat game, this is a must buy no matter what!! There's a TON of content in here especially on the ps3(KRATOS FTW!)
  56. Sep 12, 2012
    Today, I checked my review history, and it didn't take me long to decide to revamp my score for this particular game. I'm honestly not sure what to write here, and I certainly don't know why I decided to give this game such a high score the last time I reviewed it. Mortal Kombat simply isn't much fun. Sure, you can pop it in with friends over and have a few laughs, but that's about the extent of the enjoyment I could draw from it. Maybe it's the dull campaign, maybe it's the lack of nostalgic attachment; either way, I couldn't bring myself to recommend this title. Perhaps we can give Mortal Kombat a rest now to prevent the series from further embarrassing itself and the entire industry. Expand
  57. May 5, 2011
    I'm sorry but there is just no reason to trash this game. This is the best looking, most playable, deepest fighting game in existance. Some call this a reboot, I think it's a rehash but done to perfection. I'm not against Japanese Fighting games, I really liked MVC3 when it came out, and geniunely thought that Super Street Fighter 4 was the best modern fighting game to date, but then this gem came out. I've seen people trash the graphics and I just don't see it. The voice acting is great, it's colorful, and the women, damn the women. The controls are spot on and are not overly complicated. The PS3 version is clearly the better version because of Kratos and the option for 3D. It's very convenient that you can access the pause menu and the move list at any time that you would like. Another great perk is the code for accessing the original state music in multiplayer, really makes the multiplayer experience awesome. The amount of unlockables rivals the best of all time, not to mention the old school cheats. The fatalities are the best thing in the history of games to hit games. So gruesome and detailed, the babalities are laughable, and hopefuly friendship will be DLC. The story mode is the deepest of any fighting game and sure as hell beats out some of these high profile FPS out there. But it comes down to the gameplay and it's perfect. It's not some super fast, flashy light, game that's catered to 13 year olds with ADHD. This is simply put the best fighting game of all time. Expand
  58. Apr 26, 2011
    I remember 1992 when Mortal Kombat had first come out, my 7 year old mind was dazzled by the gore. 19 years later, after so many other bloody titles in the subsequent time, this incarnation of MK is impressive to say the least. Aside from the creative violence, MKâ
  59. Aug 13, 2011
    There has been many Mortal Kombat games in the Mortal Kombat Franchise that sadly failed. But the newly rebooted Mortal Kombat brings us back to the basics and creates something great. The Graphics are nice and pretty. There are plenty of features and replay value, so you will get your money worth. This Mortal Kombat succeeds cause the game focus on the storyline much more than the predecessors. And to be honest, the storyline is actually great! The campaign is takes about 6-8 hours, depending on the difficulty. The Arcade is fun. But the only problem is that there are matches where the opponent fights really cheap and extremely hard on any difficulty. Like, 2 against 1 and Boss Matches. And it frustrates you to a mental breakdown. But aslong as you practice your skills and strategize your attacks, you will be ok. At the end of the day, I recommend Mortal Kombat to anyone... on a certain age though, who are fans of the Franchise or anyone that are new to the Franchise and are on the fence about it. So I give Mortal Kombat a "9". Expand
  60. Mar 31, 2014
    This is a decent fighting game. The most important aspect of these games is the gameplay and it’s very nice. There’s not a ton of moves to learn (that’s a good thing IMO). Unfortunately, a lot of them are pretty useless, particularly more than half of the regular kombos; they’re too hard to execute and they don’t deal any more damage than the simple uppercut (in fact one issue with this game is that you’re probably better off repeating uppercuts than performing the majority of the other kombos). Tag kombos are nice however and the addition of the “super meter” adds a lot of strategy to the fight. There’s a story mode which is basically training mode with cheesy dialogues (the plot is a joke of course but that’s only to be expected), although sometimes it’s pretty frustrating as you often find yourself having to fight 1v2 battles (why oh why??) or fight against overpowered characters that break the rules of combat (for example they can’t be grabbed/held). There’s also the challenge tower which apparently has hundreds of stages that you can beat (most are simple tasks like execute a move X number of times or mini-games). I didn’t get much into it but I’m sure you could spend many hours on that. The biggest issues with this game is lack of characters (less than 20, and some of them feel more like variations of other fighters rather than unique characters), repetitive battle backgrounds (there’s about 15 stages to fight in and only some of them are interesting) and lack of good music. Like all fighting games this is great for party play but I can’t say this is a must-buy. Expand
  61. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the best Mortal Kom-bat ever and the best fighting game ever.Super graphics,game play unbelievable and a very very filled story.Thank you Ed Boon and your team. Expand
  62. Apr 21, 2011
    Gameplay is flawless, fast paced fighting engine, and the return of the fatality. The best modern fighting game to be released. BlazBlu can't compete with the fast paced action of this game. 10/10.
  63. May 8, 2011
    Mortal Kombat (2011) PS3 Demo Review:

Last week it was announced that the demo for the upcoming Mortal Kombat (2011) would hit the Playstation network for PSN Plus subscribers on March 8th. Having subscribed to it upon hearing this annoucement, I had the honor and privilege to be amongst the first to test it out. But before I delve into the review, here's a little backstory on the game's
    development:

After Ed Boon (creative director) and the design team finished up the tame, Teen-Rated Mortal Kombat vs. DC, they decided to revisit the roots of what made this franchise so great... pure gore and over-the-top violence. Boon launched NetherRealm Studios and set to work on creating the most brutal Mortal Kombat game yet."People want an M-rated MK....dammit we will give them an M-rated MK," Boon wrote. He previously pondered "I hope we aren't taking these too far." Then, a few weeks ago it was announced that the game had been banned from sale in Australia, so I knew they were off to a great start.

Gone is the dial-a-button combo system from MK3, as well as the 3D plane of fighting from the last few entries. This fighter is a 3D game on a 2D plane, there is no side-stepping here. Added to the game are an extensive amount of familiar characters and levels from the older games rendered in glorious 3D graphics.

One new feature that has drawn much attention and keeps very well the climate of brutality is the introduction of X-Ray Attacks. The player must wait until their special meter is full before they can use the X-ray moves for their fighter. Once pulled-off, the player is treated to an x-ray view of the internal damage caused by the blows on the opponent. There is also distinct damage done to the characters (scars, missing teeth, ripped clothes, etc) that carry until the match ends.

The demo allows you to choose between four fighters: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Mileena and Johnny Cage. After choosing my character (I went with my favorite, Sub-Zero) I was brought to the first match in the Living Forest arena. My first impression was one of extreme excitement. The classic music from the level was used as the characters make their way into the arena with short intros. The first addition to the game I got to try was the X-Ray attack. These attacks are a spectacle to watch, as Sub-Zero grabbed the opponent and jammed his fist into their stomach, freezing and shattering it. I am also happy to say that the Fatalities have returned to all their brutal glory.

One thing I did want to mention were the controls. The front attacks are Square and X and the back attacks are Triangle and Circle. Which would seem sort of awkward and unintuitive, but it works. You just have to think of it more as left and right attacks rather than front and back. A lot of the special moves are still the same, Scorpion's spear is still Back, Back, Punch; Sub-Zero's freeze is still Down, Forward, Punch. Why change what we've been accustomed to for so many years, right? Overall, it still "feels" like Mortal Kombat controls, just with a few additions (throw canceling, breakers, etc). For those that fear change, they are going to be offering an arcade stick, with purchase of the Tournament Edition ($149.99 retail).

So, after facing all four characters in the single player demo, I was shown a brief glimpse of what's to come. Including a stage fatality that involved an opponents head being hurled up against a moving train, then being thrown across the subway and onto the path of another on-coming train. Another one included Liu Kang being hit by an oncoming car!

All in all, this game reminded me why I loved Mortal Kombat for so long. As a huge fan of the franchise for over 15 years, this is probably the most fun I had playing MK since back in the days of pumping quarters into the arcade machine. And to think, I haven't even got my hands on the full game yet!

Mortal Kombat is scheduled for release April 19, 2011 for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.
  64. Mar 20, 2012
    Ever since the demo, it was quite clear to me that Mortal Kombat would be my new favourite fighter. The online menu is the best I've ever seen for a fighting game, while animation is sharp and quick. The story, though at times overacted and a little goofy, is engaging and true to the series and its history. There is absolutely nothing I'd change about this game. I eagerly await the next MK.
  65. Apr 30, 2011
    Mortal Kombat in it's Klassic form. The graphics are crisp and the models look absolutely great. The revamped maps are reminiscent of my childhood days while still looking very clean and and up-to-date. The series brings back what it was known for, gory and bloody fun. The fatalities are gruesome, detailed, and hilarious; just the way they should be. With a new focus on balance in gameplay, fighting feels fast-paced and rewarding. The 2v2 is flawless and great to play with a buddy. The matchmaking however is horrible and should be avoided when possible, a good connection is almost impossible to find when using the automated matchmaking. Overall, MK9 is one of the most solid games in the series and deserves a definite pick-up. Expand
  66. Jun 30, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is a feast for the senses. Its without doubt the best looking fighting game released, and has a fascinating story mode with great voice acting. Story mode is basically the original 2d mortal kombat' retold as an interactive movie, with the storyline cleaned up and made coherent, and its very well done. Its pure camp, but its damn good camp, and the hamfisted delivery of certain scenes is purposeful, and wonderful. Dont mistake this as a cheesy comedy experience though, as the story is well told and has a "serious" tone. Its by far the most interesting and best told fighting game story ever, made all the better by the distinct and wonderfully modeled and animated characters. The AI is competent, and the superbosses are well designed and mostly avoid the super cheapness of the old games. Unfortunately, when you go up against another player, everything falls apart. This game's online component, as of this writing, is completely and utterly broken. The matchmaking barely works, the lag is stunningly bad, and the overall experience is barely functional on a technical level. I would estimate ~70% of your online games will end with a "desync" or will simply never begin due to instability in the handshake protocols. If you stick with it though, you will get the occasional lagfree, functional match, or if you have a community of local folks to challenge in person of course. Unfortunately, the balance as it currently is, is nonexistent. The overwhelming majority of characters are useless, due to the way the game calculates combos, priority, and frames. Roughly half a dozen characters are competent, and its less because they are balanced and more because they have 1 or 2 broken moves that are either unavoidable or get such high priority in match ups that they simply will not fail to connect unless your opponent is using one of the other broken fighters. Some characters can pull off combos that will remove over half of your opponents life bar using only two buttons and a couple of the DPAD directions, regardless of timing. Others struggle to pull off maneuvers that remove even a tenth of the lifebar, while requiring thumbcrushing finger dexterity and feline timing. Needless to say, you will rarely encounter anything but those handful of "working" characters online. In over 300 fights online I have only seen about half of the roster in action.

There are issues that have been resolved, but at a snails pace. I do not know if the developer will be able to fix and balance this game before the playerbase moves on to something else or goes back to other, more stable and reputable fighting games. Right now, this game is worth it for the phenomenal story mode alone, but I would be hesitant to recommend it beyond that, given that the multiplayer component is so utterly broken. My advice would be to get it if the idea of a well made, interactive Mortal Kombat movie appeals to you, but if your looking for a solid, well built fighting game, then look elsewhere. A good base exists here for a great, long lived fighter, but as of right now, its nowhere near ready to claim that accolade.
  67. May 10, 2011
    FINALLY! A mortal Kombat I've been waiting for since the arcade cabinets of yore. Totally fun and exciting in its old school way. Even some of the animations were blocky and weird like int he cabinets, which to me is endearing, and put a grin on my face. Even the toasty guy is in there!

I also really liked the fact that the majority of characters are available right off the bat. Story
    mode was entertaining, and served as a means to an end I suppose. I laughed through most of it at how ridiculous it was but hey, I was enjoying myself. I wasn't playing MK for the story, so it's nice to see they didn't take themselves too seriously here.

The challenge tower is a pretty great idea, but some of the challenges seem crammed in there for the sake of having 300. It could have been 200 probably, but oh well it's still fun.

Totally get this if you're an old school MK fan, it really nails it on the head!
  68. May 18, 2011
    Before reading on, I'd like you to close your eyes and journey with me back to 1992 when a little game called Mortal Kombat hit the arcades. As an wide eyed adolescent I recall my first experience with Mortal Kombat being one of awe. The thunderous sounds of fighters doing combat bellowed from those cabinets drawing crowds of onlookers eager to see the (then) savage fatalities. It's now 2011 (you can open your eyes now) and the latest iteration MK does not disappoint. Now, I am by no means a self-proclaimed fighting virtuoso, my expertise lays more in the dancing game genre, for example, "Michael Jackson The Experience." I must admit I was slightly hesitant at first when it came to picking up this game, as I was devastated when MJ died. But once I slipped on my official Michael Jackson collectors edition glove, and began breaking it down oh so low to 'Billy Jean' I felt Michael was alive again, living through the rhythmic undulations of my pelvis. I especially like the bonus levels, racking up points touching as many prepubescent boys possible while the timer counts down is almost as thrilling as the real thing! Or so I've heard. I've often fallen back onto my sofa, in a sweaty mess after a good 2 hour session of the game just to let my gloved hand do the walking... wink wink. It's almost like Michael is in the room with me. "Michael Jackson The Experience" is a must buy for die hard fans ! Expand
  69. Jun 14, 2011
    This is what all the other Mortal Kombat games after 3 should have been. It really is a perfect revamp of the series, true to the Mortal Kombat games we grew up on.
  70. Jun 6, 2011
    I have to say i really enjoy new Mortal Kombat. At last we get an entry in the series that is worthy of the name. 2D is definitely where this franchise belongs. I was very pleased with the single player mode, it's hard to find other fighting game that can present this top notch quality in this department. No Tekken, VF, SF or DoA can compete. But multiplayer is where the game shines, especially if you've got friends to play with. I would dare to say that it is the best party game currently available on consoles, who cares about kinect sing move and sheet when you can tear ppl in two and drink their blood. I honestly don't think MK9 can become as big tournament title as Tekken or SF, but it will probably sell lot better and it is worth its price. Expand
  71. Apr 26, 2012
    I liked Mortal Kombat, and i think it's definitively worth buying for a fighting game fan, but for someone that rarely plays fighting games, it can be a little over whelming. The story mode in Mortal Kombat is challenging, with only one difficulty, the game missed a big chance to welcome new comers to the mortal Kombat franchise. There also is just a ladder challenge mode in which you fight 10 characters to win, and the difficulty to changeable. That is the most fun i've had with mortal kombat. The game looks great, it plays well, and is a Good Game, but too many frustrations hurt it. Expand
  72. Mar 13, 2012
    I could sit here & list the many reasons why this game is amazing but it's easier to just say: it's what hardcore Mortal Kombat fans have been waiting for since Mortal Kombat II.
  73. Mar 21, 2014
    This is my favorite MK game of all time great controls graphics and gameplay with balanced characters makes for one hell of a fighting game. The online portion really lets the game down with serious lag in a lot of matches. Other than that It has begun
  74. May 1, 2011
    For anyone and everyone, MK9 is the best installment in the Mortal Kombat franchise. And for a lot of gamers, MK9 just might be the fighting game of the year. With four modes, re-imagined mini-games, a 25+ fighter cast, and new combat mechanics built from the ground up, Mortal Kombat is the value meal of fighting games. Graphically the game is stunning, powered by the Unreal engine MK9 is one of the few games that convinces the player you are actually hurting your opponents. Every character is rendered in stunning detail and each on feels unique and plays differently. The attention to detail really shines through in the arena and as costumes tear, bruises, cuts, and sometimes gaping wounds will populate the character in proportion to the damage they receive. The game pays its homage to gratuitous gore, and its cringe-worthy, but what has really excelled the game up to the level of other fighters is the new fighting mechanics. Gone are the cross-fighting style juggle combos of Deception and Armageddon, MK9 keeps combos short and simple, rarely exceeding three buttons, and makes them easy to string with other combos and special moves. Easy to learn, hard to master, MK9 found and appeal to veterans and newbies alike. The new supermeter is also inspired genius. Enhanced specials open new windows in devastating combos and breakers can turn the tide of a match, and nothing is more satisfying than watching your opponents skull fracture in X-ray combos. The smartest move made by the franchise, was its return to the 2d plane which speeds up combat, balances the effectiveness of projectiles, and eliminates the insta-kill death traps of the previous games. The three main modes of the game are the ladder (classic arcade style), story, and challenge tower and all are thought out and well executed. The story was surprisingly much better than previous games, and while it wasn't stunning, it was satisfying, which is a step in the right direction considering some fighting games don't even have a story. The challenge tower introduces several unique scenarios and most of them are entertaining and clever. MK9 has finally returned to its unique style, and now armed with its more focused and developed gameplay, this franchise may have finally earned the right to compete for best fighting game. Expand
  75. Apr 22, 2011
    Blows my mind. Awesome story mode. Way better than SF4. Forget all about the convoluted storylines that don't quite line up from the previous titles. This game irons everything out in the outstanding story mode which also forces you to try everyone
  76. Apr 20, 2011
    Brutally violent and throughly addicting, Mortal Kombat, is back and at its best!! The difficulty is as hard as ever and even on easy it becomes a challenge at times. I got the deluxe "tournament edition" and i can honestly say its the best $150 i've spent in a while. The fact that i got to play it all day long on 420 makes the whole experience completely fulfilling!
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the greatest Mortal Kombat games in the series. This really does take you back to the original games with its 2D gameplay and gory fatalities. If you are a veteran of the series, this is a must have. The levels are greatly detailed, and the character models are pretty cool. Each character has several fatalities, and casual gameplay is rewarded by a point system generated by combos, wins, and fatalities. The game runs smooth, the online is fun, and the fatalities are gruesome. Pick this game up now. Expand
  78. Apr 24, 2011
    As many have said before me. If your a fan of the first 3 mortal kombats, this one blows those away. Great job, the true comeback of this generation!!
  79. May 12, 2011
    I never thought I'd care about Mortal Kombat's story, but the story mode in this did exactly that. This game by far sets the standard for other fighting games to follow.
  80. May 30, 2011
    I'm not a MK fanatic or a fighting game fan, and i can say that this game make me remember the moves from 14 years back in my memory, but showing many new aspects that pleased even the modern player.
  81. May 23, 2011
    Great game spoiled completely by the cheapest most cheating boss in fighting game history. I thought sf4's Seth boss was a pain but it's nothing compared to shoakhan. Most annoyingly if you fail to beat him in story mode you have to sit through a 5 minute long cutscene EVERY TIME you load the game up. There is no way to skip it. Would have been a solid 8-9 score if the game hadn't been ruined by such a bad ending in story. Sound design is fantastic as are visuals and fight mechanics. Too bad it came to such a frustrating and disappointing conclusion. Expand
  82. Nov 19, 2011
    The best fighting game I've ever played. Shao Kahn is more badass than ever, also all the characters an those amazing Locations. The story is excellent. The quality of Netherrealm studios has grown biggest than ever. Thanks Ed!
  83. Mar 20, 2012
    A lot of people complain about being juggled in this game, or that MK has a block button, but if I'm going to be honest, Mortal Kombat has to be my favorite fighting game BECAUSE of the gameplay. in SF, or Tekken, someone can win the game simply by button mashing, hence why I pissed a lot of my friends off when i beat them at SF without knowing what I'm doing. In MK9, if you button mash or don't know any moves or combos, you get your ass absolutely kicked. A great fighting game, flawless graphics, and showing why 2D fighting still rules. Expand
  84. May 26, 2012
    The best fighting in the world ! Great Singleplayer,Fatatity,familiar characters it's fantastic! Marvel vs Capcom is very easy and boring, my choise is MK ! Please buy it and remember it's your mortal kombat !
  85. Dec 31, 2012
    After the disappointing bore that was MK Vs. DC, I had cautious optimism for this game. Yes, all my favorite characters were there, yes the fatalities looked amazing, but Mortal Kombat had been in a steady nose dive, and with the demise of Midway, I really wasn't sure where this game would go. I have to say it's amazing and probably the best in the series. They FINALLY found the right amount of characters without putting in too many, the fatalities actually crossed the line, and the extras are really really nice. This is the quintessential MK game, and if not for Street Fighter IV, it'd be the best fighting game for the seventh generation of consoles. Expand
  86. Apr 23, 2011
    All I can say is welcome back Mortal Kombat. After years of absolutely dreadful 3d games Mortal Kombat is back with the fury of a thousand suns. If you liked the older Mortal Kombat titles you will feel a sense of nostalgia yet freshness when playing this title. Giving it a 9 because nothing is worth a 10.
  87. Apr 21, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is a redesign of the original, taking most of the "fluff" that had been adding and throwing it in bloody meat grinder. The single player itself suffers from some serious difficulty in fights which I attribute to poor creativity in designing more difficult battles. Skill is not relevant here more an understanding of how to cheaply beat some of the more difficult battles. Lets be serious though, who buys Mortal Kombat for redundant single player fights, the real meat and 'taters comes from the multi-player.

Nothing and i mean nothing is more satisfying then knocking the pants off someone online only to finish them with a brutal and gory finisher that would put smiles on the creators of Saw. That being said the gore does not overshadow creative and intense level design, coupled with unrivaled sound design in a fighter; making Mortal Kombat one of the most visual and auditory delights on the system.
  88. Apr 23, 2011
    All in all Mortal Kombat is an excellent reboot of the franchise, a game carefully and lovingly crafted. As someone who have spent a minor fortune during my teens playing Mortal Kombat 1-3 at the local arcade, it's good to see Mortal Kombat embracing it's roots and delivering a fast. furious, ultra-violent and blood-soaked fighting game.

PROS:

+ Excellent fighting game for newcomers and
    veterans alike.
    + Easy to learn while at the same time deep enough for experienced players.
    + Tons of stuff to see and do: Story Mode, Challenge Tower, Online play and tons of collectibles. + The system for Tag Team play is excellent and a very innovative way of fighting.
    + Online play is fun, I really like the King of the Hill mode.
    + Superb characters and animation. The characters are truly unique looking and wickedly cool.
    + The stages are beautiful and evocative with lots of details and nice background animations.
    + Bloody, meaty and bone-crunching sound effects. It really sound gory to the max.
    + Lots and lots of fatalities and secret stuff.

CONS:

- At Normal difficulty I found the game really, really hard.
    - Some of the bosses are super cheesy and will drive you utterly furious with their lame, cheap moves.
    - No way to skip cut scenes. Being able to skip long X-Ray moves would be nice as well.
  89. May 9, 2011
    After playing the demo, I was skeptical... kombat was stiff and it didn't really impress me visually. Then I saw a commercial with Kratos and was sold. Way to go marketing. The story mode was epic and with seemingly endless collectables and challenge tiers the game has a lot to offer.
  90. May 31, 2011
    Mortal Kombat 9 is one of the best Mortal Kombat games i have play since Mortal Kombat 1 & 2. It has a pretty decent size character library and has most of the greatest characters i can remember. It also has one of the greatest fighting game story modes for this gen. Challenge tower will also keep you busy while you go a 300 lvl tower doing various interesting battles. It also has the ladder mode which each character has his own special little ending clip. There is only one real problem I have with this game which is how cheap Shao Kan is. Overall I would suggest this to any fan of fighting games. Expand
  91. Jun 26, 2011
    The Return of The Fatality! and the blood. and the gore. and the awesome. This is one of the best fighters ever made. The controls are smooth, the graphics are good, and the PS3 exclusive bonus character (Kratos) is awesome. The best Mortal Kombat game ever.
  92. Jan 27, 2012
    I'm giving the game a 9/10, I was hesitant to buy the game after reading a few of the reviews here on metacritic that claimed "cheating" boss fights and severe input lag both are which obviously now only claimed by those who have no willingness to learn or strategise. The combo system in this game is as great as all it's early games and easily picked up by those willing to take the time to learn each fighters abilities and combos. The game is matched equally in it's visuals which look great. The story while not flawless, works as it was intended although not being able to skip cinematics can become tedious at times. Which brings me to fatalities.. The only thing wrong with them is that they are a bit too preset things like Kung lao s hat being cut in 2 and still staying on is where the visuals let down, would have been nice to see a bit more attention to detail but overall the fulfill their purpose. Great game for anyone willing to learn at least basic combos, worth the money. Expand
  93. Jun 10, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but this game was fun. There is a big roster of playable characters, each having their own set of moves, xray, and fatalities. There are also many stages, some having special stage fatalities with them. The game looks gorgeous, from the complex backgrounds, to the beat and bruised characters, to the ultra-violent fatalities. The campaign was pretty boring, but its story was alright. It is easy enough to get into with simple combos, and improved players can pull off complex juggling combos. Needless to say, this is a good game that is worth your money. Expand
  94. Apr 25, 2011
    Beyond amazing. Decent sized roster, brutal fatalities, challenge tower, and an actual story mode. And when I say a Story Mode, I mean it; cut scenes, voice acting, everything; I mean sure, it may be a little corny at times, and you can't skip the cut scenes the first time through, but we're talking about a whole chunk of content most fighting games completely skip over. In short, if you like fighting games, check it out; if you like Mortal Kombat, stop reading this and go buy it. Defiantly one of the better games I've boughten in awhile. Expand
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    if ur a mortal kombat addict like me, then the latest edition of this bloody fighter will blow ur mind. Forget about MK vs DC, this game has a far more deeper combat system, a bigger roster to choose from, and most of all, more replay value uve than ever dreamed of. A few problems exist, such as imbalances in difficilty in the single player story, and the fact tht the graphics arent as top notch as they cudve been. (Im looking at u character models) Expand
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    To me the best fighting game ever made... Great graphics, not to bad of a story, awesome characters, great fight engine... If you'r a MK fan this is a must buy if not still get it because its awesome...
  97. May 4, 2011
    I lost interest in MK once the series jumped to 3d, somewhat unsuccessfully. This is, without a doubt, one of the best fighting games to come out on current-gen consoles. It is right up there with SFIV in the dynamics and depth department, but provides a much better single-player experience. The story mode gives players an actual, decent plot (a rarity in a fighting game) as well as giving people a reason to get proficient with each character as they progress the story, something that I think is sorely lacking from Capcom fighters.

Classic settings and stages from the first three games of the franchise have been reimagined in great detail, breathing new life into a universe that had so much unrealized potential. Animations, art, models, and character designs are top notch, as well as the Fatalities and X-Ray moves being sufficiently brutal and gory to match the franchise's roots.

If you like fighting games, this is a must-buy. If you're a veteran of the old 2d Mortal Kombats? This is a must-buy. With on-the-fly balancing of characters as well via updates, the game can only get better.
  98. Apr 22, 2011
    Great reboot of the series. I personally think it's the best since MK2. The amount of content is staggering and theres plenty of game modes for single and multiplayer. The fight engine has been refined but still feels old school. Great roster and of course fatalities are back.
    Oh and challenge mode will take a while. Not 20 minutes like some other idiot posted.
  99. Apr 22, 2011
    The game is based on the events of MK1, MK2 and MK3, but with a storyline that differs from the original games. If you enjoyed the early Mortal Kombat games, this new one is well worth looking into. Story Mode is lengthy, but introduces you to every character and shows you all the character relationships as the time line progresses. Challenge Tower is akin to the 'Tower of Lost Souls' from Soul Calibur; beat 300 varying challenges to earn Koins. The challenges start off very easy but get difficult the further up the tower you get. Then there's the 'Test Your Might/Sight/Strike/Luck' minigames. Test Your Might is a button-masher from the first game, Test Your Strike is the same but requires precision, Test Your Sight is the old 'ball under a cup' game (but you die if you get it wrong!), and Test Your Luck is fights with slot reels that influence the battle. For example, Player 1 might be Narcoleptic, which makes them fall asleep randomly, but Player 2 might be Poisoned and lose health over time. There are so many combinations that it makes the mode very entertaining (and nauseating if the screen gets flipped upside down).

Ladder is the typical mode from older MKs, where you fight 10 kombatants (8, 9, and 10 all being bosses), except now there is also a Tag Ladder so you can play either 1 player in a 2vs2, or use two players to control one character each. My only criticism with Ladder is that I feel the difficulty doesn't scale well; you'll generally decimate everyone upto the bosses, and then get completely humiliated.

The fighting is a lot more in-depth than previous MK games, using a Super Meter which can be used for Enhanced Special Attacks, breakers to interrupt enemy combos, or for an X-Ray move which does high damage and shows internal damage. Word of warning though; X-Rays use all of your meter and can be usually blocked with relative ease.

The Krypt and Nekropolis are where you'll get all your unlocks by spending Koins. These range from minor things like concept art, up to alternate costumes and secret fatalities.

Speaking of fatalities, this MK has gone back to the gore in a big way. X-Ray moves show breaking bones, ruptured organs and so on, and the fatalities are mostly gruesome while not necessarily believable. Stage Fatalities also make a return, such as the Dead Pool's acid bath and the Pit's spikes.

Finally, if you get the PS3 version, you also get Kratos from God of War as a playable character, as well as a stage based on the GoW series.

Overall, MK 2011 is a huge return to form, and fans of the series will love it. While it's not the most refined fighter going, there's so much to do that you'll be busy for hours. Absolutely brilliant.
  100. Apr 24, 2011
    The violence in the new MK is even more insane and over the top than ever.... and really 'effin satisfying lol. With that out of the way.The core fighting in this game is its biggest strength. It's simple enough that a friend can jump right in with you and have fun, yet deep enough that investing more time in it is totally rewarding. The story mode has an insane plot but it's fun. And things like the challenge tower, king of hill, and test your luck add a lot of replay value. Kratos was a good choice as a crossover character that actually fits into the universe perfectly. My only issue has been occasional lag and some buggy issues with game lobbies online, which has definitely been a bummer. Expand
  101. Jul 11, 2011

1. Dec 12, 2011
    The silky smooth combat combined with the classic twists on the fatalities in the game, of which there are at least two per character not including stage specific ones, and naturally some hidden things that I don't want to spoil here.
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    A very good reboot for the series. 3D-arenas have been axed, so the combat system is simpler and at the same time more refined. [May 2011]
    Mortal Kombat is a great service to fans, but not only fans. It's also a great proposal for anyone who is interested in fighting games.