8.2

1. Nov 6, 2013
    Best Mortal Kombat in at least 10 years. With the x-ray system, and revamped gameplay, this is an easy recommendation. Great graphics, and animations. Great roster. A lot of fun to be had on this disc. Also, there is Kratos.
  2. Nov 18, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is a very honest effort. This game does just about everything right. The fights are amazing, the controls are tight, the fatalities are (mostly) awesome, and the older characters have been modernized successfully. As you fight you will gain koins that you can spend in the Crypt. This is an interesting part of the game. For me it's an amazing idea, but also kind of convoluted and confusing at times. I appreciate so many unlockables being included, but I wish they were presented in a slightly more user-friendly fashion. This game shines in the game play department, but could use some polish on the extras. For a fighting fan, this is money well spent. This is the start of something great. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2012
    this game is one of the best fighting games i have ever played but it does have some problems for example a few bosses are overpowered and the story does feature some 2 or 1 battles. however the x-rays and fatality's are still amazing with good detail added in to them. then again when you see some one float in the air and there neck snap but still phone god and just get up again still confuses me. Finlay this game is great for co-op and just for fun but only do the story when you know your way around every character BECAUSE YOU DON'T PICK WHO TO PLAY AS. this did annoy me if you didn't notice by the big bold letters. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but this game was fun. There is a big roster of playable characters, each having their own set of moves, xray, and fatalities. There are also many stages, some having special stage fatalities with them. The game looks gorgeous, from the complex backgrounds, to the beat and bruised characters, to the ultra-violent fatalities. The campaign was pretty boring, but its story was alright. It is easy enough to get into with simple combos, and improved players can pull off complex juggling combos. Needless to say, this is a good game that is worth your money. Expand
  5. Dec 25, 2012
    This game rocks, it has a nice campaign, a lot of challenges and a lot more of extras. I still haven't completed all in the game, because it is massive. I was expecting more characters, but when i saw the special moves and the DLC nothing more was needed.
  6. May 9, 2011
    After playing the demo, I was skeptical... kombat was stiff and it didn't really impress me visually. Then I saw a commercial with Kratos and was sold. Way to go marketing. The story mode was epic and with seemingly endless collectables and challenge tiers the game has a lot to offer.
  7. Apr 26, 2012
    I liked Mortal Kombat, and i think it's definitively worth buying for a fighting game fan, but for someone that rarely plays fighting games, it can be a little over whelming. The story mode in Mortal Kombat is challenging, with only one difficulty, the game missed a big chance to welcome new comers to the mortal Kombat franchise. There also is just a ladder challenge mode in which you fight 10 characters to win, and the difficulty to changeable. That is the most fun i've had with mortal kombat. The game looks great, it plays well, and is a Good Game, but too many frustrations hurt it. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2011
    Mortal Kombat is a feast for the senses. Its without doubt the best looking fighting game released, and has a fascinating story mode with great voice acting. Story mode is basically the original 2d mortal kombat' retold as an interactive movie, with the storyline cleaned up and made coherent, and its very well done. Its pure camp, but its damn good camp, and the hamfisted delivery of certain scenes is purposeful, and wonderful. Dont mistake this as a cheesy comedy experience though, as the story is well told and has a "serious" tone. Its by far the most interesting and best told fighting game story ever, made all the better by the distinct and wonderfully modeled and animated characters. The AI is competent, and the superbosses are well designed and mostly avoid the super cheapness of the old games. Unfortunately, when you go up against another player, everything falls apart. This game's online component, as of this writing, is completely and utterly broken. The matchmaking barely works, the lag is stunningly bad, and the overall experience is barely functional on a technical level. I would estimate ~70% of your online games will end with a "desync" or will simply never begin due to instability in the handshake protocols. If you stick with it though, you will get the occasional lagfree, functional match, or if you have a community of local folks to challenge in person of course. Unfortunately, the balance as it currently is, is nonexistent. The overwhelming majority of characters are useless, due to the way the game calculates combos, priority, and frames. Roughly half a dozen characters are competent, and its less because they are balanced and more because they have 1 or 2 broken moves that are either unavoidable or get such high priority in match ups that they simply will not fail to connect unless your opponent is using one of the other broken fighters. Some characters can pull off combos that will remove over half of your opponents life bar using only two buttons and a couple of the DPAD directions, regardless of timing. Others struggle to pull off maneuvers that remove even a tenth of the lifebar, while requiring thumbcrushing finger dexterity and feline timing. Needless to say, you will rarely encounter anything but those handful of "working" characters online. In over 300 fights online I have only seen about half of the roster in action.

There are issues that have been resolved, but at a snails pace. I do not know if the developer will be able to fix and balance this game before the playerbase moves on to something else or goes back to other, more stable and reputable fighting games. Right now, this game is worth it for the phenomenal story mode alone, but I would be hesitant to recommend it beyond that, given that the multiplayer component is so utterly broken. My advice would be to get it if the idea of a well made, interactive Mortal Kombat movie appeals to you, but if your looking for a solid, well built fighting game, then look elsewhere. A good base exists here for a great, long lived fighter, but as of right now, its nowhere near ready to claim that accolade.
  9. Apr 22, 2011
    No doubt this would be a 10 game for all the MK fan boys. From the perspective of a non-MK fanatic, this game is decent but definitely not deserve a perfect score. Please note that my review does not apply to the fan boys because I understand why they would get all pumped up for it. The things I love about this game - bloody, fast paced, AWESOME single player story mode (Best story mode for a fighting game I've ever played), a lot of playable characters.The things I don't like - special moves of most characters look gay & animation is sub-par, x-ray attack animation takes too long (they are exciting to watch for the first couple of times, but after that, it just drags the pace of the battle), graphic is ok (looks like a 2009 game). To sum up, a decent fighting game that would be appreciated by its fans and accepted by most. Expand
  10. Jul 11, 2011
    I enjoyed this game for the nostalgia factor. Being in my 30's I grew up with MK and I owned all of them including Trilogy on N64. I must add that the game is not the best looking. Some characters look way too goofy, like Sonya. She looks almost like a dude with breasts. Not a big fan. The game plays like a mix of MK2 and MK4. Not necessarily a bad thing. My only problem with this game is that it feels and plays old. The combos are nothing special and the Finishing moves are way too bloody and gruesome even for my tastes. It almost as if NetherRealm wasn't trying to make good satisfying Fatalities, but go overboard as much as possible. Online is fun WHEN you get into a lag free match. Ranked games have not connected me recently. The story mode is long and pretty decent. With of stuff to unlock. This is a solid 9 for fans, but I actually enjoyed MK2, and UMK3 much more. Rent before you buy. Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    This is a decent fighting game. The most important aspect of these games is the gameplay and it’s very nice. There’s not a ton of moves to learn (that’s a good thing IMO). Unfortunately, a lot of them are pretty useless, particularly more than half of the regular kombos; they’re too hard to execute and they don’t deal any more damage than the simple uppercut (in fact one issue with this game is that you’re probably better off repeating uppercuts than performing the majority of the other kombos). Tag kombos are nice however and the addition of the “super meter” adds a lot of strategy to the fight. There’s a story mode which is basically training mode with cheesy dialogues (the plot is a joke of course but that’s only to be expected), although sometimes it’s pretty frustrating as you often find yourself having to fight 1v2 battles (why oh why??) or fight against overpowered characters that break the rules of combat (for example they can’t be grabbed/held). There’s also the challenge tower which apparently has hundreds of stages that you can beat (most are simple tasks like execute a move X number of times or mini-games). I didn’t get much into it but I’m sure you could spend many hours on that. The biggest issues with this game is lack of characters (less than 20, and some of them feel more like variations of other fighters rather than unique characters), repetitive battle backgrounds (there’s about 15 stages to fight in and only some of them are interesting) and lack of good music. Like all fighting games this is great for party play but I can’t say this is a must-buy. Expand
  12. Apr 24, 2011
    Growing up, I spent tons of quarters - and later dollars - on Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 in the arcade and for consoles. Couldn't get enough of it. When Mortal Kombat 3 came out, however, the entire method of the game switched from one of mastering special moves to learning how to cheese with unblockable combo chains, with or without special moves, that would juggle your opponent to the point where they COULDN'T do anything. They spend a quarter and maybe get one button press before they were down and out. I adapted and got pretty decent at it, but I didn't have fun. Not like the past. Afterwards, Mortal Kombat just went on a downhill skid. And that's the biggest problem with the Mortal Kombat reboot - it goes back to the Mortal Kombat 3 style of play, not Mortal Kombat 1 or 2 where timing and skill mattered as opposed to picking a character with the cheesiest juggle combo. And that's all the new MK is about - juggling your opponent(s) into combos that can't be blocked and can't be broken and then unleashing a 9-10 hit string that takes down their life to near dead.

Sure, giving the beat down is fun (at first), but if you're constantly being beaten on simply because someone chose a specific character, it's not fun. I was hoping for a return to timing and skill, not a return to the MK3 combo cheesefest.

Story mode is OK, not really the greatest but probably the best in a recent fighting game, however the game loves putting you in 2v1 situations that are disgustingly hard (see combo cheesefest) even on Medium difficulty. The voice over work is some of the worst in recent game memory. X-Ray mode is interesting, but it gets old after the first few times while the characters' signature special moves are less powerful than many of the simple two-button combos themselves. Graphically, the game is OK, but nothing to shout about and looks dated by a few years.

I'm sure people who only started playing MK when MK3 or UMK3 were out will be in love with this game. But as someone who grew up with MK, who remembers learning the moves, the skill and timing of how to deploy them, this game is an utter disappointment. Just another bland fighter where people are rewarded for learning how to play at the cheesiest, cheapest level.
  13. Sep 12, 2012
    Today, I checked my review history, and it didn't take me long to decide to revamp my score for this particular game. I'm honestly not sure what to write here, and I certainly don't know why I decided to give this game such a high score the last time I reviewed it. Mortal Kombat simply isn't much fun. Sure, you can pop it in with friends over and have a few laughs, but that's about the extent of the enjoyment I could draw from it. Maybe it's the dull campaign, maybe it's the lack of nostalgic attachment; either way, I couldn't bring myself to recommend this title. Perhaps we can give Mortal Kombat a rest now to prevent the series from further embarrassing itself and the entire industry. Expand
  14. May 12, 2011
    Mortal Kombat Review this game has been getting some very high scores and personally I cannot see why, if you like the game then please don't let this review get to you this is just my experience playing the game and how I found it. Story Weirdly this is a part of the game that stood out for me the game tells the story of mortal kombat 1,2 and 3, its very easy to follow the story is told by cut scenes using the ingame engine which makes the cut scenes flow very nicely from the fights but obviously its not perfect the voice acting can be so bad at times however this does make it more satisfying to rip the persons stomach or other organs out.

I will add the modes in here too, this is another good point for the game as there is a lot to do there is the as mentioned story mode which lasts a good length of time (if you can stand the cheap fights and even cheaper bosses)

Gameplay/Design

This is where the game trips and smashes its face the most (in the gameplay), sadly the most important part of a fighting game the problems I have with it are that combos require some extreme thumb speed to pull off which the AI controlled opponents seem to be able to do with ease also fights against the AI is incredibly cheap. a way to put this is as follows you know when you play online on a fighting game and someone you face spams the same move over and over well that's what fighting the AI is like. I know the blocking is an essential part of a fighting game but the AI blocks constantly and it becomes so boring.

And then there is the boss fights against foes like Goro this is where the game Is at its most frustrating these boss don't get a slight stun when you hit them so they can attack freely even why you are in mid combo so you can imagine how annoying that is, your laying into a boss and then he grabs you while in mid combo and slams your face into the ground.

There Is a combo gauge at the bottom of the screen which I cant help but notice seems to have been taken from street fighter 4 but it doesn't seem to build up as you get a combo up it seems to build a lot quicker when you are getting the **** beat out of you. Which I suppose is good as you can use the X-Ray moves when you're in a pinch but buy the time the meter is full you are near KO.

Basically in my opinion the game is broken the speed in which you need to hit buttons to perform combos is ridiculous and the AI gets controller smashingly cheap towards the later parts of the story mode. I found that mashing buttons was more effective than trying to remember and perform combos and for boss fights I decided to be cheap myself by spamming the same move over and over but this is boring games should be fun to play I shouldn't have to fight bosses and other enemy's in a boring way just so I cant defeat them.

But I will say the online is good as real people are a fairer challenge in this game than the AI and yes I know that sounds strange all the modes and variants are here from single player but you don't buy a full price fighting game just for the online especially if you don't have Xbox live or PSN.

Presentation

The game looks very nice all the characters animate amazingly also all the arenas look great with interesting things going on in the background the voice acting is good if abit cheesy the best part of the presentation is the sound which was a weird thing to pick up on. The sound of fist meeting face sounds brutal and the sound of bones snapping makes you cringe (in a good way.)

Overall

Well all I can say that Mortal Kombat is one of the most frustrating fighters ive played single player wise its hard to explain all the problems I have with the game play I would recommend renting it too see what I mean I honestly cannot see why this game is rated so highly the game seems to be more about its violent and brutal nature than good gameplay.

But please if you enjoy the game don't let this get to you and i do want to know what other people think of this ive been playing it since the day it came out here in the UK and i just don't like it.
  15. May 23, 2011
    Great game spoiled completely by the cheapest most cheating boss in fighting game history. I thought sf4's Seth boss was a pain but it's nothing compared to shoakhan. Most annoyingly if you fail to beat him in story mode you have to sit through a 5 minute long cutscene EVERY TIME you load the game up. There is no way to skip it. Would have been a solid 8-9 score if the game hadn't been ruined by such a bad ending in story. Sound design is fantastic as are visuals and fight mechanics. Too bad it came to such a frustrating and disappointing conclusion. Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    Parece un juego de la edad de piedra, me esperaba algo mucho mejor, parece un juego de recreativa que de consola del siglo 21, nefasto. Innovación: No innova nada, penoso. Sonido: Sonidos de recreativa, ¿eso es su potencial? Gráficos: ¿De verdad que esos gráficos son de esta generación? por favor... Jugabilidad: Movimientos toscos, simples y muy absurdos, aburre a las dos peleas. Conclusión: No cumple ni de lejos con ser un juego de Mortal Kombat, ni cumple como juego de lucha. No lo recomiendo. Expand
  17. nop
    Apr 27, 2011
    Unplayable because of two very serious problems:
    Terrible input lag and low overall speed.
    Ugly art and 3d models. Woman characters are especially hideous.

Seriously, you call this game "mature"? No mature person will tolerate this level of artistic/technical impotence for more than ten minutes.

1. Dec 12, 2011
    The silky smooth combat combined with the classic twists on the fatalities in the game, of which there are at least two per character not including stage specific ones, and naturally some hidden things that I don't want to spoil here.
  2. Oct 20, 2011
    A very good reboot for the series. 3D-arenas have been axed, so the combat system is simpler and at the same time more refined. [May 2011]
    Mortal Kombat is a great service to fans, but not only fans. It's also a great proposal for anyone who is interested in fighting games.