6.6

1. Nov 10, 2011
    It would be an amazing game if not for all the bugs, glitches and online problems. 2K has had server problems for at least 4 years now. Every year it's the same thing. Dropped games, long wait times, and server downtime are all common. 2K should have fixed their servers by now, there is no excuse for it to be this bad year after year. Then you have to wait months for a patch to fix thingsIt would be an amazing game if not for all the bugs, glitches and online problems. 2K has had server problems for at least 4 years now. Every year it's the same thing. Dropped games, long wait times, and server downtime are all common. 2K should have fixed their servers by now, there is no excuse for it to be this bad year after year. Then you have to wait months for a patch to fix things up. The NBA2k site that was suppose to be up for this years game still has the Coming Soon signs over a month after release. As far as gameplay goes, it's not too bad. 3s, steals and blocks in the paint were all way too excessive until they recently released a small patch. If your planning on playing this game mostly offline, there's not a better basketball game. Online play is another story. The presentation is great and the game modes are all there. If only 2k could get better servers and limit the amount of bugs, this would be the perfect basketball game. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2011
    The classic NBA series 2K is one of the most popular sports series aside from Madden, so one would hope that as each year goes by, we will eventually reach a perfect basketball game, sadly, this is not it. NBA 2K11 was better than this game solely on the fact that this game is just a little too realistic than what gamers are accustomed to. Online is a bit off and needs fixing and theThe classic NBA series 2K is one of the most popular sports series aside from Madden, so one would hope that as each year goes by, we will eventually reach a perfect basketball game, sadly, this is not it. NBA 2K11 was better than this game solely on the fact that this game is just a little too realistic than what gamers are accustomed to. Online is a bit off and needs fixing and the gameplay is pretty much the same, but the way the game looks is a little too realistic which ruins the "game" aspect. Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    This review may be controversial and I will fully respect dissenting opinions, but I felt like this game was TOO realistic a basketball simulation for my taste. The NBA, much to my shagrin, has turned into a jump-shot fiesta and NBA 2K11 followed suit. The big men in the game have been completely nerfed and there's no sense in trying to penetrate the paint at all. The only games I won wereThis review may be controversial and I will fully respect dissenting opinions, but I felt like this game was TOO realistic a basketball simulation for my taste. The NBA, much to my shagrin, has turned into a jump-shot fiesta and NBA 2K11 followed suit. The big men in the game have been completely nerfed and there's no sense in trying to penetrate the paint at all. The only games I won were the games in which I could develop a good passing rhythm that ultimately left a 2-guard in the corner for three. While this is disappointingly similar to real life, I never felt like I was enjoying the game, even in victory. Put in several hours, ready to sell it back. Expand
  4. Oct 23, 2011
    i loved 2k11..played it all year. played it more than any game i've ever played. but 2k12 is just not enjoyable...playing 2k11 was a joy, but trying to do anything in 2k12 is just an endless struggle due to the unresponsive control, inappropriate animations, and overpowered CPU.

i tried for weeks to get some type of enjoyment out this game, but 2k just screwed so many things up that were great in 2k11. if they had just left 2k11 alone (and just added the new post up system, playcalling, and some of the new AI) i would've been in love with 2k12...but my biggest fear has become a reality....2k just couldn't leave a good thing alone. they had to go and revamp too many aspects of the game that worked better in 2k11. boredom and over-thinking seems to have gotten the best of the devs and they lost perspective of what works and what doesn't. the control and responsiveness took a step back in many areas (dribbling, passing, shot blocking, defense, etc.)...then on top of that the CPU is just way too good and can make too many "impossible-to-stop" moves. it's damn near impossible to keep the CPU from driving because there isn't enough bumping...that's right i said it. 2k12 doesn't have enough bumping...trying to stay in front of a ball handler and bump him is like trying to grab a greased pig...the defense has this "slippery" feeling like no matter how i position my defender the ball handler is just doing to slip around me with no contact...i don't know how many times i should've created contact and stopped the ball handler, but due to the unrealistic collision system he just conveniently slips past me....they should've added more subtle, nuanced collisions like more "ride" animations, but instead they just got rid of them completely. and when the CPU gets anywhere near the paint, every player does that SAME DAMN SPIN MOVE, THEN HEAD FAKE, THEN UP-AND-UNDER that CAN'T BE DEFENDED. that garbage move alone is enough to make me give up on this game...moving the hopstep and spin moves to the right stick was a mistake in my opinion...as it just makes it too hard to pull off these moves...but the CPU can pull them off at will because the CPU doesn't have to do some crazy button combination - the CPU just has to tell the player "do a hopstep" or "do a spin move"...this gives the CPU way too big of an advantage with these interior moves. when i heard they had removed the hopstep button, i was worried, but i was willing to give the right stick thing a chance...but it just isn't as good.

in 2k11, i felt like when i did something on my controller, i got the appropriate animation that i wanted to get..and the animation happened in a quick, responsive manner...i really felt like i was in control and could do the things that i envisioned in my mind...but 2k12 has too many delayed animations and WTF moments where i'm like "i did not want to do that type of animation". a lot of the layup animations are head-scratchers where i think "why did he do that animation?". pass animations went to hell in 2k12...the joy of passing has been killed in this game due to delayed/sluggish pass animations and pass types that aren't right for the situation.....the joy of dribbling has gone as well - it feels sluggish and the perfect "mirroring" on-ball defense by the CPU prevents you from getting any separation.

i was looking forward to playing this game all year long like last year...NBA 2K was going to be my "go-to" game again...but i just don't like what they've done with this game...and if i'm not enoying it, i might as well stop wasting my time being frustrated every time i pick up the controller. they just missed the mark this year and made too many questionable changes.
  5. Sep 5, 2012
    This game is good don't get me wrong but the online is the worst **** I've ever played EVER!! I haven't played one game online without lag which makes it almost impossible to hit shots regularly. Single player is great that is where it gets a 10 but I must penalize for online. I can barely find a game for the throwback teams which I paid 10$ and can't use them online 2k online BLOWS. NBAThis game is good don't get me wrong but the online is the worst **** I've ever played EVER!! I haven't played one game online without lag which makes it almost impossible to hit shots regularly. Single player is great that is where it gets a 10 but I must penalize for online. I can barely find a game for the throwback teams which I paid 10$ and can't use them online 2k online BLOWS. NBA Live 10 was the best basketball game online ever and it wasn't even that good of a game. Cmon 2k give us a good connect for 2k13!!!!!!!!!! Expand

1. More than an update, this is an overhaul. If you have even a passing interest in basketball, or love sports games, get this now. [Dec 2011, p82]
    Oozes basketball atmosphere in a way that we've never seen in any other sports game. 2K Sports have made a game that's difficult to pick up if you're still a basketball virgin, but once you've learned all the moves, there's plenty to explore in this entertaining and challenging release.
  3. The gigantic NBA stadiums are a delight to behold. It's an amazing feeling when you finish a fastbreak with a devastating slam dunk. The crowd goes absolutely wild, even the players on the bench have a little party. [Nov 2011, p.78]