6.6

1. Oct 4, 2011
    The best basketball game of all time just got a billion times better. And that's a remarkable feat because NBA 2K11 was a frickin' masterpiece of sports gaming. NBA 2K12 is a beautiful love letter to the game of basketball and a dream come true to it's fans. Fans of the both the real and virtual world versions of the sport. Simply put: this game is INCREDIBLE. Prepare to be floored when you jump back in time and play as Bill Russell and the weathered black and white screen and filtered audio make you feel like you just time traveled back into the world of TV's Mad Men. Be wowed when you see how incredibly smooth and fluid animations. It's so photorealistic and lifelike that you will forget you're controlling a video game and think you've actually got the real life versions of Dirk, Lebron, and Kobe on Pinocchio strings making them perform miraculous moves and nailing incredible shots. The accessibility of this year's game is greatly improved as well. Just tap triangle to engage in the post to open a plethora of new moves. I swear the number of moves in this game and the amount possibilities when factoring in the game's brilliant physics engine is STAGGERING. It's virtually endless in its gameplay possibilities. You'll see a new animation nearly every play. In final, 2K Sports has become legendary. Greatness and 2K are now synonymous. It's baffling that the company could great something so incredibly better than it's predecessor when it's predecessor was arguably the greatest sports game ever made. Well chaps, there is NO ARGUMENT to be had this year:

NBA 2K12 is HANDS DOWN.....THE GREATEST SPORTS GAME IN GAMING HISTORY.

Get it NOW!
  2. Oct 5, 2011
    Since the Early Days of Madden, I haven't really enjoyed sports games; and I don't care for basketball that much either; but last year NBA2K 11 ascended to the scene and brought basketball gamingl (and the Sports Game genre) to a new level. Things would never be the same again. A lot to live up to.

However, NBA2K 12 meets the high standard set by its predecessor and builds on the smart
    gameplay and graphical design. Even more than last time, you feel as if you control the players. And oh the players to choose from. Its like 2K took the NBA2K game and super sized it . I am still not comfortable with all the controls, but its fun learning, and that is saying something in and of itself. Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2011
    Could be the perfect game if online had no lag, lobbies as per 2k11, excessive 3 point and steals cheating was fixed.

Sorry, this is not a 9/10 game.
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    No season, no problem. This is more of a beta review/first impressions since I have not had time to play it in-depth, but seems to me like it's 2K11 2.0. I'm just happy it works, I had to return 2K11 before last year's finals because it just stopped working after several PS3 firmware updates. In fact, even with the very first load, I could not connect to the 2K servers (waited 10 minutes before cancelling). At least, it seems the network play is decoupled from offline play so that we can enjoy either just fine (hoping this is the case). Graphics are crisp and text seems even clearer than before. Controls are responsive and I saw no glitching after an hour of play, smooth framerate. Default sound is skewed heavily towards arena/ambient sounds and even with 100 volume on the announcers, you could hardly hear them over the crowd noise and organ. Agree with one of the critic reviews that character models are improved in some places, worse or no change in others. Same announcing team, more sponsors. Announcing is great but I saw an awesome dunk on a computer vs computer and didn't hear the emphatic shout from Clark Kellog. Seems like a good mix of tracks on 2K beats, but I miss Snoop's 2K theme from last year. I also liked 2K11 showing some of the Arena locations and external shots. Have yet to see that here. Looking forward to getting into Association and My Player to check out improvements there. However, it looks like they took away the 3 point shooting contest and other street ball features and replaced it with a generic NBA blacktop mode. Hmm. Anyway, while we wait for the real NBA to get its act together, this will keep the fans busy. Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2011
    Holy God is this game good! I hate sports games but 2K games are another story! This is incredible, graphics are unbelievable, gameplay almost perfect, I have no complaints about this game. Best Basketball game of all time right here hands down. Only complaint I have is that these guys got shut out by EA at doing a good football game. Buy this right now worth every single penny!
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    It would be an amazing game if not for all the bugs, glitches and online problems. 2K has had server problems for at least 4 years now. Every year it's the same thing. Dropped games, long wait times, and server downtime are all common. 2K should have fixed their servers by now, there is no excuse for it to be this bad year after year. Then you have to wait months for a patch to fix things up. The NBA2k site that was suppose to be up for this years game still has the Coming Soon signs over a month after release. As far as gameplay goes, it's not too bad. 3s, steals and blocks in the paint were all way too excessive until they recently released a small patch. If your planning on playing this game mostly offline, there's not a better basketball game. Online play is another story. The presentation is great and the game modes are all there. If only 2k could get better servers and limit the amount of bugs, this would be the perfect basketball game. Expand
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    I was a big fan of NBA 2K11, the best sports game ever made. I was so excited to get NBA 2K12. Then I got the game ... .then I'm VERY VERY disapointed !!!! If the gameplay is not that different than the previous one, it's REALLY more full of bugs.

1st of all, the shooting rating. Absolutely NO meaning. Remember in NBA 2K11, you could have a little picture that was telling you how you
    succeed in your shot (green or red). The same is still here, and you can now have a rate of your shoot (for example, green picture plus A+, or A- or B, etc...). And it means NOTHING !!!! You can have an open shot (99 player's rating at middrange), get the green picture, get the A+ .... and you shot is out of the basket .... WHAT ? OUT ? With 99 player's rating, open shot, green picture, and A+ ? So what is the point of this "A+" ??? On the contrary, you can have a shoot inside the basket with green picture, open shoot and a B- or B+ rating. It's stupid to propose a rating if it's useless ....

2nd, the "browd's bug". Your players going too fast and go into the crowd ? Too bad for you guys ... until next timeout, your player could STAY into the crowd, WITHOUT any possibility to go again on the floor.

I'll stop here, it would be tooooooooooooo long to enumerate all the bugs ....

One last thing, and really it's a pure shame, 1 trophy cannot be obtained. CANNOT, AT ALL !!! The NBA Today trophy. Why ? Because 2K decided that because there is no season, you can't obtain that trophy. That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard ! So it means that if there were a season and Kevin Durant was injured, so you would not be able to grab the trophy of 48pts with Kevin Durant ? The explanations of 2K Sports are pure **** !!! And Ronnie2K saying that this unobtainable trophy can't be fixed .... What a shame !

Shame on you 2K Sports !!! Instead of trying to earn more and more money with your DLC, tou should work on YOUR bugs in the original game.

Be sure on 2 things : I'll never buy the DLC, and I probably won't buy NBA 2K13 if it's the same than this game.

2K Sports, the road of money requires not to cheat on your customers ...
  8. Oct 23, 2011
    ONLINE NEEDS TO BE FIXED. hello 2k... it's been 4 years since online was good. its almost the year 2012 and you dont have proper software for people to play over the internet. EA got it right 7 years ago.
  9. Oct 24, 2011
    Best basketball game I have ever played. I played a lot basketball games on the PS2 and enjoyed most of them. This is my first basketball game on the PS3 and this is better than all the previous basketball games I have played.
  10. Oct 10, 2011
    In light of the ongoing NBA lockout and the absence of competing hoops sims, it's really fortunate that 2K12 is the greatest basketball title ever made. I've stuck with this series since the Dreamcast titles and I've never been disappointed. Feature-rich, deep and rewarding gameplay, amazing animation... the only game that can top this is next year's 2K13.
  11. Oct 11, 2011
    I would have rated this game a 10 but this game is good but far from perfect. Gameplay and animations are improved versions of last year's. Controls are slightly different (can be a good and a bad). What makes this game really stand out from the previous 2k Sports games are the NBA's Greatest challenges. It's fun to play old classic players and teams but what makes this mode so great is it's presentation. You will feel like you are actually there. You play Celtics with Bill Russell and the screen will be black and white and the scoreboard will look like what it should've looked like before and there will be no three-point line. My Player changed for the better and is not as boring as it was before. I still find it boring to be playing only one guy but 2K made enough changes for it to be a little more fun and less boring. But like I've said this game is far from perfect. 2K may have improved some things but last year's problem is still found in 2K12 which is ONLINE. Online in 2k12 is really bad and it will most likely disconnect before you even finish the game. But NBA 2K12 is good game especially for fans like me who have nothing to do during the lockout. Expand
  12. Oct 15, 2011
    An NBA game that's good, i never thought i'd see the day. this game is easier than 2K11 since i am a terrible 2K player and even i can be good at it. the my player mode took awhile, and bored me a little. my favorite part was playing quick match over and over and over.
  13. Oct 6, 2011
    NBA2K12 IS THE BEST NUBER# 1 IS GOOD GOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2011
    The NBA 2k series has come a long way since the first but lately it has been lacking something new. Right off the bat looking at the visuals I wasn't impressed they looked exactly like those of 2k11 nothing new there. Going on to the My Player experience it has improved even more than the previous two versions which is what was expected but I have to say it exceed my expectations. Now for the basketball experience the game excels like it should but some things are still missing. After playing it I notice that 2k games goes with a premium and standard lay out (like how Polyphony did with their cars in Gran Turismo) for player although they don't say it you can notice it and what I mean by it is the difference between the star in the NBA and the players who aren't stars. When you are using some like Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitski every thing is correct for these players such as their jumpers and their signature layups ext. But when using a non superstar 2k games has a number of generic moves and will give a player the one that looks the closest to theirs which takes away from the realism. But overall it is still a great game but I only wish some other things where added to the game such as having the correct voices for the PA announcers for the correct court and having a variety of commentators like Reggie Miller or Jeff Van Gundy. So I'm giving it an 8.5 its a great game but some bigger improvements can be made to it. Expand
  15. Oct 31, 2011
    The classic NBA series 2K is one of the most popular sports series aside from Madden, so one would hope that as each year goes by, we will eventually reach a perfect basketball game, sadly, this is not it. NBA 2K11 was better than this game solely on the fact that this game is just a little too realistic than what gamers are accustomed to. Online is a bit off and needs fixing and the gameplay is pretty much the same, but the way the game looks is a little too realistic which ruins the "game" aspect. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    This review may be controversial and I will fully respect dissenting opinions, but I felt like this game was TOO realistic a basketball simulation for my taste. The NBA, much to my shagrin, has turned into a jump-shot fiesta and NBA 2K11 followed suit. The big men in the game have been completely nerfed and there's no sense in trying to penetrate the paint at all. The only games I won were the games in which I could develop a good passing rhythm that ultimately left a 2-guard in the corner for three. While this is disappointingly similar to real life, I never felt like I was enjoying the game, even in victory. Put in several hours, ready to sell it back. Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2011
    An amazing and well crafted sports game. The only sports game I will ever pick up too. The 2k Series revamps its My Player mode making it easier in ways, and more exciting in others. This game doesn't cease to dissapoint and will, I repeat will, keep the gamer engaged at all times whether it be My Player or Legends Mode. Its a must buy. Perfection in basketball as a game. That's what it is.
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    These greedy millionaires are on strike because their salaries are going down slightly. They are still millionaires! I make 30,000 a year. A 7% drop in my pay would hurt, but unlike them I save and don't live paycheck to paycheck. We are in an economic crisis and they think they can complain about money!? Even with this drop in salary they make more than anyone can ever dream of making. And just for playing a game. Do I get paid for playing a game. No. I have a job, I actually contribute something to society. So, long story short, do not support these crybabies. DO NOT SUPPORT THE NBA. Don't buy this game, don't buy jerseys, and don't tune in on tv when these greedy crybabies get back to work. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2011
    Even with the lock out going on this game is loads of fun, the new mechanics gives u more options on wat u want to do post up wise and even dribbling it feels as if u have more control and they even added more signature shots now when lebron shoots it actually looks like its his jump shot not that in the past it didnt but they made it even more realistic. 2k sports continue what your doing because its working and Thank you for finally fixing the my player mode now i actually look forward and have fun playing now that i feel i can finally reach my player to an all star. Expand
  20. ob1
    Nov 10, 2011
    awesome! worth every penny i paid, tons of fun and graphically stunning. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    Perhaps the best game of basketball.
    but a great blunder, so removing the 2K11's online ... only 1 years ago.
    So I can not put more note. this is a joke.
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    Terrific Basketball experience. Online isn't that great but the game itself has great longevity if you enjoy some NBA. Still some things here id like to see improved, such as the player creation system who you will find allot of generic looking guys. Great association mode.
  23. Dec 8, 2011
    Best looking game ever but possibly one of the most frustrating experiences imaginable. The controls are so tight and wonky you will be breaking controllers in no time. Unnecessary animations, unrealistic steals and 3s, a lousy manual and simply over-complicated frustrating game-play, remember when it was fun to pick up NBA 2K and play basketball??? 2K sports forgot.
  24. Dec 6, 2011
    Wow.. Where do I start? Terrible multiplayer. You wait a lot and drop in the middle of the game. Terrible MP mode. Its fun to make a career but with stupidly missed details are throwing you off. If i wasn`t playing a shooting guard I would never play this game again. These guys makes these games and forget to put rookie all-star game in MP mode? and there are only 3 rookies ? At press conference , why reporters are all the same? Are you joking ? Do you have the same mentality as Fifa 2012? It seems like no one works hard to make games anymore. What make games better are details.. and no-gamer developers don`t know anything about it. Expand
  25. Jan 9, 2012
    It has a lot of bugs, glitches and annoying features, but still I'm sitting at the tv thinking "just one more game"... It has reminded me of my old love of NBA. Oh and My Player mode owns.
  26. Mar 13, 2012
    Worst game ever. Don't waste your time on this piece of crap. They didn't even make an effort. I'll never buy another 2k sports game. I hope they made a lot of money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Expand
  27. May 24, 2012
    Like NBA 2K11 before it, it is a great great game until at some point it glitches out all over the place. When it works, this is one of the best sports games I've ever seen, but at some point the menus freeze, online play glitches, and it all turns to poop. Epic fail!
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    A fantastic sports game, perhaps the best I have ever played. The presentation is very close to a television broadcast and the gameplay is very good. I see some people have criticised the shooting as if you have a 99 rated player and you get an A+ shot away you can still miss but that is why he is rated 99 and not 100. Even MJ missed shots which he should have scored. That is sports.

The one negative point is that 2K seem unable to do faces properly especially the face of my favourite player, Steve Nash. He looks like a gorilla in the game which is ridiculous. Sort it out and this game would get a 10.
  29. Feb 19, 2012
    I cannot tell you how many times I cursed this game, threw my paddle and swore I would never boot it again. The most intriguing portion of this game is the player creation that starts your career as a young, mediocre player... and it is very hard, and frustrating... at first. However, I kept picking up the paddle, kept putting in the game. Something about it kept me wanting. Then, something changed. I played through some of the new Training sessions, ran through some scrimmages, and kept plugging away and spending my ability points. I finally got it. I was scoring 25 points a game (5 min quarters) hitting my goals, etc... We did not win much as the rest of my team was horrifyingly bad (Jazz), but grew through the ranks, was traded, and am now having a blast working towards a Championship and eventually Hall of Fame. I can now say this is a very, very good game. The work definitely pays off, IMO. Keep trying. This is not an arcade game, it is an NBA game. The complexity makes it far more enjoyable than any "blast and dunk" game, it merely takes a little work to find the gem this is. Expand
  30. Oct 23, 2011
    i loved 2k11..played it all year. played it more than any game i've ever played. but 2k12 is just not enjoyable...playing 2k11 was a joy, but trying to do anything in 2k12 is just an endless struggle due to the unresponsive control, inappropriate animations, and overpowered CPU.

i tried for weeks to get some type of enjoyment out this game, but 2k just screwed so many things up that
    were great in 2k11. if they had just left 2k11 alone (and just added the new post up system, playcalling, and some of the new AI) i would've been in love with 2k12...but my biggest fear has become a reality....2k just couldn't leave a good thing alone. they had to go and revamp too many aspects of the game that worked better in 2k11. boredom and over-thinking seems to have gotten the best of the devs and they lost perspective of what works and what doesn't. the control and responsiveness took a step back in many areas (dribbling, passing, shot blocking, defense, etc.)...then on top of that the CPU is just way too good and can make too many "impossible-to-stop" moves. it's damn near impossible to keep the CPU from driving because there isn't enough bumping...that's right i said it. 2k12 doesn't have enough bumping...trying to stay in front of a ball handler and bump him is like trying to grab a greased pig...the defense has this "slippery" feeling like no matter how i position my defender the ball handler is just doing to slip around me with no contact...i don't know how many times i should've created contact and stopped the ball handler, but due to the unrealistic collision system he just conveniently slips past me....they should've added more subtle, nuanced collisions like more "ride" animations, but instead they just got rid of them completely. and when the CPU gets anywhere near the paint, every player does that SAME DAMN SPIN MOVE, THEN HEAD FAKE, THEN UP-AND-UNDER that CAN'T BE DEFENDED. that garbage move alone is enough to make me give up on this game...moving the hopstep and spin moves to the right stick was a mistake in my opinion...as it just makes it too hard to pull off these moves...but the CPU can pull them off at will because the CPU doesn't have to do some crazy button combination - the CPU just has to tell the player "do a hopstep" or "do a spin move"...this gives the CPU way too big of an advantage with these interior moves. when i heard they had removed the hopstep button, i was worried, but i was willing to give the right stick thing a chance...but it just isn't as good.

in 2k11, i felt like when i did something on my controller, i got the appropriate animation that i wanted to get..and the animation happened in a quick, responsive manner...i really felt like i was in control and could do the things that i envisioned in my mind...but 2k12 has too many delayed animations and WTF moments where i'm like "i did not want to do that type of animation". a lot of the layup animations are head-scratchers where i think "why did he do that animation?". pass animations went to hell in 2k12...the joy of passing has been killed in this game due to delayed/sluggish pass animations and pass types that aren't right for the situation.....the joy of dribbling has gone as well - it feels sluggish and the perfect "mirroring" on-ball defense by the CPU prevents you from getting any separation.

i was looking forward to playing this game all year long like last year...NBA 2K was going to be my "go-to" game again...but i just don't like what they've done with this game...and if i'm not enoying it, i might as well stop wasting my time being frustrated every time i pick up the controller. they just missed the mark this year and made too many questionable changes.

1. More than an update, this is an overhaul. If you have even a passing interest in basketball, or love sports games, get this now. [Dec 2011, p82]
    Oozes basketball atmosphere in a way that we've never seen in any other sports game. 2K Sports have made a game that's difficult to pick up if you're still a basketball virgin, but once you've learned all the moves, there's plenty to explore in this entertaining and challenging release.
  3. The gigantic NBA stadiums are a delight to behold. It's an amazing feeling when you finish a fastbreak with a devastating slam dunk. The crowd goes absolutely wild, even the players on the bench have a little party. [Nov 2011, p.78]