NBA 2K9 PlayStation 3

User Score
7.1

Mixed or average reviews- based on 38 Ratings

User score distribution:
  1. Positive: 25 out of 38
  2. Negative: 9 out of 38
Buy On

Review this game

  1. Your Score
    0 out of 10
    Rate this:
    • 10
    • 9
    • 8
    • 7
    • 6
    • 5
    • 4
    • 3
    • 2
    • 1
    • 0
    • 0
  1. Submit
  2. Check Spelling
  1. DarrellS.
    Oct 10, 2008
    3
    I choked when I saw how ugly this games presentation was. How can the reviewers keep annointing a very non realistic basketball experience. 2K9 ironically plays just like Nba Live 2008 which was a bit surprising to me. Why do the players jersey's look so clunky? How come none of the players look like their real life counterparts? Rent it once and then go get Live 2009 or Nba 09.
  2. [Anonymous]
    Oct 10, 2008
    3
    nba 2k9 is a great game. the graphics are crazy, the new commentary, gameplay. its an overall hot game. its just 2 bad we cant play it! well u can play it fine against the cpu, but if ur an online fan ur assed out. the game freezes when searching 4 opponents 89% of the time, and the other 11% of the time it says game cannot be started. and the low post scoring is ridiculously easy, unless nba 2k9 is a great game. the graphics are crazy, the new commentary, gameplay. its an overall hot game. its just 2 bad we cant play it! well u can play it fine against the cpu, but if ur an online fan ur assed out. the game freezes when searching 4 opponents 89% of the time, and the other 11% of the time it says game cannot be started. and the low post scoring is ridiculously easy, unless ur playing yao ming who blocks every shot put up. but 2k is doing an excellent job of selling nba live, keep up the good work 2k. Expand
  3. ClevelandO.
    Oct 8, 2008
    1
    This game has some SERIOUS flaws in it that apparently the game reviewers totally missed. First, the online mode does not have a lobby (or if it does, im totally unaware of it) so you have no idea who (or what connection) your opponent has. So every game ive played so far has been in terrible lag as it paired me up apparently with people in africa or something. Second problem is that low This game has some SERIOUS flaws in it that apparently the game reviewers totally missed. First, the online mode does not have a lobby (or if it does, im totally unaware of it) so you have no idea who (or what connection) your opponent has. So every game ive played so far has been in terrible lag as it paired me up apparently with people in africa or something. Second problem is that low block scoring has been made entirely too simple. If you choose the suns you can just give the ball to shaq down low and he will score 100% of the time even if hes standing in a 4 man zone. This makes for very uneven play as it turns into just watching shaq score every time for 25 minutes of your life. 3rd problem is that the only way to stop the exploit is to just foul every time someone gets the ball in the paint. OK, so what? its impossible to shoot freethrows with the new system they implemented especially in all the lag you will inevitably have. Not only does the lag make freethrows near impossible, but it makes them totally random, so sometimes you will get a "Bad release (too early)" and other times you will get "Bad release (too late)" message while holding back [R] for the exact same amount of time...VERY FRUSTRATING. In one online game I played, my opponent just fouled me every time as soon as I inbound the ball because he was losing. I couldnt hit any freethrows and soon I was losing so I started fouling him back. Basically the game was just us fouling each other as soon as we could for 2 quarters. (the game lasted almost an hour) Just terrible. As if these problems werent enough, the game will randomly FREEZE my ps3 when searching for an online opponent. I don't mean that it will take a long time... I mean it will ACTUALLY FREEZE the ps3 and force you to restart. This is happening to a lot of people as ive heard and i'm not an outlier. Anyway, I just wish each of these gaming review companies would spend a little more time with the game before telling people to buy them because now I am out of 60 bucks with a piece of junk game. I'm going to try and get my money back from 2k sports but i'm not optimistic. Expand
  4. ChrisA
    Oct 10, 2008
    0
    Do NOT buy this game on ps3. If you HAVE to buy this game, only get it for xbox360. Online mode will CRASH your system causing extreme risk to your system's hardware. The xbox360 version does not have this problem because of xbox live. Also, if you are excited about 5v5 gameplay online, forget it, there is no way all 10 people will stay in game without most, if not all, of the Do NOT buy this game on ps3. If you HAVE to buy this game, only get it for xbox360. Online mode will CRASH your system causing extreme risk to your system's hardware. The xbox360 version does not have this problem because of xbox live. Also, if you are excited about 5v5 gameplay online, forget it, there is no way all 10 people will stay in game without most, if not all, of the players' systems crashing. After 3 days of user's systems freezing, 2k sports has done nothing to alleviate the problem, showing that they are not dedicated to their fan base. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  5. DeepakN.
    Oct 14, 2008
    0
    I AGREE WITH CLEVELAND O. This game freezes up my ps3 everytime i try to go online. When will thi sproblem be fixed???? if it's not by next week im returning it and switching to nba Live. How can a problem as big as that happen this day in age???
Metascore
82

Generally favorable reviews - based on 30 Critics

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 25 out of 30
  2. Negative: 0 out of 30
  1. Yes, NBA 2K9 is great. While Living Rosters and Five-on-Five online are noteworthy additions to the franchise, the game doesn’t feature much new stuff besides those two options. Instead, Visual Concepts tweaked, improved and continued to build upon several aspects the franchise has been accustomed to deliver year after year. It’s definitely good to see the improvement especially after the less-stellar 2K8. NBA 2K9 is the closest you will get to the NBA world and it’s definitely worth every penny.
  2. 67
    While this will probably be embraced by the fans, it’s just a little too realistic for its own good, and as such isn’t as fun as it could be. Anyone considering looking for a change could start this year.
  3. PSM3 Magazine UK
    82
    The slickest and toughest basketball game of the year. [Dec 2008, p.84]