Need for Speed: Shift PlayStation 3

6.9

1. timo
    Oct 9, 2009
    the game is great, should tie me over until gt5 when it comes out in 2020!! :( The graphics are decent while racing i love the sense of speed and the tyre noise and engine noise is fantastic, the framerate is also stable for a change in nfs game, and the controls are fine once they are tweaked(the sensitivity and dead zones for steering accelerating and braking), yes this game has a the game is great, should tie me over until gt5 when it comes out in 2020!! :( The graphics are decent while racing i love the sense of speed and the tyre noise and engine noise is fantastic, the framerate is also stable for a change in nfs game, and the controls are fine once they are tweaked(the sensitivity and dead zones for steering accelerating and braking), yes this game has a similar feel to gird as in the style of game, but is much more fun in my opinion although NFS shift's damage modeling doesn't stand up to grid's, it does an okay job. and the drifting is fine, i dont know why people are complaining, maybe they should try a practice some more.... Expand
  2. alex
    Jan 2, 2010
    the game should be amazing, but constant gliches arizing from nearly every aspect of hte game slows down the fun. you start a race, the flag girl is standing INSIDE your car. you finish a 30 lap race, the scoring breaks and even if you finished first, you get 9th place. you can't move the decal the way you should. it freezes. the paint all of a sudden pops off your car. all these the game should be amazing, but constant gliches arizing from nearly every aspect of hte game slows down the fun. you start a race, the flag girl is standing INSIDE your car. you finish a 30 lap race, the scoring breaks and even if you finished first, you get 9th place. you can't move the decal the way you should. it freezes. the paint all of a sudden pops off your car. all these little things kills the joy of going 185 mph on the Nurburg ring in a all out duel against a single other opponent. the game would be a 10 if these problems were gone. the need for speed franchise was close on this one, but no cigar yet Expand
  3. SnaggyD
    Nov 30, 2009
    Really good driving game, recent patch has cleared up the previous problems and regularly get 12 player races now..
  4. timc
    Oct 18, 2009
    Some cars are very challenging to drive others are easy. But alll in all i very much enjoy the game. the sence of speed is very real. fist racing game in along time ive been able to enjoy.
  5. JGG
    Sep 19, 2009
    The best racing game I´ve ever played. I liked GTR2, Rfactor, GTLegends, GT5 Prologue, etc.. But I like this better. I like Grid too but this can´t be compared, Grid feel is much more arcade. Driving "Shift" with the G25 wheel, the cockpit view and a 106´ screen (projector) is incredible. If you enjoy cars and racing I really recomend it

PS, Im sorry for my english...
  6. JackThomson
    Sep 20, 2009
    Great game, welcome return to the series. Not perfect but somewhat of a perfect starting point, was afraid that i was gonna waste my money but didn't, there are a few issues but keeps me coming back for more, sound is great, graphics top notch, damage models could have been better, well much better, but the gameplay is awsome. best nfs to date i think
  7. RyanS
    Sep 20, 2009
    Need for Speed headed in a different direction, and it worked. It's a solid game and is a lot of fun to play. It may not be Forza or Gran Turismo, but it's definitely a breath of fresh air to see a good game again from this franchise.
  8. SimG.
    Sep 20, 2009
    I'm not that much into Gran Turismo, Forza or the street racing gig. SHIFT offers the right balance between simulation, arcade and car modifications. However, I have one big issue with the PS3... the FRAMERATE. The framerate is very unstable. There are so many visual and audio glitches, menu flickers and there is polygon clipping all over the place. If someone has enough power and I'm not that much into Gran Turismo, Forza or the street racing gig. SHIFT offers the right balance between simulation, arcade and car modifications. However, I have one big issue with the PS3... the FRAMERATE. The framerate is very unstable. There are so many visual and audio glitches, menu flickers and there is polygon clipping all over the place. If someone has enough power and influence, they should arrass EA to release a patch to fix that. I'm having a lot of fun with the driving mechanics and the overall game structure, but I see myself putting the game aside really soon if there's not hope that it'll be fixed. I didn't bought a 1080p HD TV to play games like this. Expand
  9. JoshuaR
    Oct 7, 2009
    Its a great game and the and the handling is better then most need for speed games. Its not a sim game so its not perfect. P.S. You don't try to drift and All-Wheel Drive Evo unless your in a movie.
  10. ChrisS.
    Sep 21, 2009
    I'd love to give this game a nine and I would have if not for the occasional stuttering framerate. I am more than a little curious why most if not all the reviews failed to mention this. It does affect game play and is most noticeable from the cockpit. That being said I still really like this game. The handling is fantastic and the cockpit view is perhaps the best yet seen in a video I'd love to give this game a nine and I would have if not for the occasional stuttering framerate. I am more than a little curious why most if not all the reviews failed to mention this. It does affect game play and is most noticeable from the cockpit. That being said I still really like this game. The handling is fantastic and the cockpit view is perhaps the best yet seen in a video game. Computer ai is very good but a tad too aggressive at times. I am having a lot of fun with this game and recommend it heartily to any racing fan. Just remember that there are framerate issues that affect gameplay. Maybe a patch is in the works. Expand
  11. ErikV.
    Sep 22, 2009
    It's a small step for a genre, but a giant leap for a franchise. NFS Shift more than delivers and manages to satisfy arcade and sim racing fans alike.
  12. OlivierB
    Sep 23, 2009
    As most people will have already said, this is not the hardcore simulation that you'll experience with GT5 or Forza. That being said, this is no Outrun USA or Sega Rally; i.e. this is not a arcade racer. What is is though, is the most immersive racing experience you can get. This game is FUN, it's challenging, it looks good. Is that what games are all about?
  13. luisb
    Sep 29, 2009
    Men!! This is the REAL GTR2-like-upgraded experience for the 360 that I was hopping Race-pro to be. I cant believe those people who say that NFS-shift is not as "real" as say Forza2 or GRID!! DO NOT BELIEVE the reviewers who say that NFS-shift is neither an arcade or a sim title. In fact, shift accomplishes the task of being a sim which does not takes itself too seriously. I mean they say Men!! This is the REAL GTR2-like-upgraded experience for the 360 that I was hopping Race-pro to be. I cant believe those people who say that NFS-shift is not as "real" as say Forza2 or GRID!! DO NOT BELIEVE the reviewers who say that NFS-shift is neither an arcade or a sim title. In fact, shift accomplishes the task of being a sim which does not takes itself too seriously. I mean they say it is "arcadey" because you can use nitro, but the last time I checked, nitro actually EXISTS IN REAL LIFE, doesn't it? This is a "tunned-car" simulator!!. In the other hand the say it is not arcade because you have to actually drive, but I assure you that you will have more FUN DRIVING with this "sim" than playing with any other "cars-game". I don't give it a 10 just because the Force Feedback with the MS wheel is not "perfect". It is pretty good, but I think that GTR2 had a better FF model (I love to feel those track bumbs when braking ). When Race-pro came out I really wanted to support SIMBIN but they didn't deserve it, well this time EA and SMS really deserve our support as gamers. Simply put, while not perfect, I think it is the best racing game available for the xbox you cant go wrong with this even with the ubber-exaggerated-artificial Forza 3 coming out. Expand
  14. JacobP.
    Sep 21, 2009
    Even with the generally favorable reviews, NFS Shift is a sadly underated racing-simulation. I myself have not enjoyed the last installments since Underground 2 in the NFS series, however this game has taken a 180 turn in creating one of the most enjoyable racing games up to date. This game compares to a little more enjoyable the GRID in my opinion, but stands out in a Gran Turismo/Forza Even with the generally favorable reviews, NFS Shift is a sadly underated racing-simulation. I myself have not enjoyed the last installments since Underground 2 in the NFS series, however this game has taken a 180 turn in creating one of the most enjoyable racing games up to date. This game compares to a little more enjoyable the GRID in my opinion, but stands out in a Gran Turismo/Forza fusion. I myself am a fan of Touring Car and track racing. If you have a passion for cars and racing, this might be your best buy next to the highly anticipated Forza 3 coming out soon too. What this game might have that Forza won't is a more focused career mode in which I am still enjoying greatly. I'd suggest anyone looking for a good racing game to pick up NFS Shift. It gets a 9/10 for lack of local multiplayer. Expand
  15. samj
    Dec 17, 2009
    Very good 1st try at sim,not there yet. I feel if they want to be seen as a hardcore sim such as G.T. or Forsa, then in time they will. Electronic Arts has been into gaming almost as long as I have. I am 60 yrs young, 1st started gaming with pong, b&w tv. Shift broke new ground in racing, set new standards in a few ways. I will be looking & hopeing for Shift Two.
  16. Aug 14, 2010
    Good game. Although the single player is certainly repetitive, what could you possibly expect from a racing game?! Love the simple, satisfying driving style. Currently aiming for a lot more trophies now, which isn't made too hard if you look at some online guides. What can I say, a brilliant arcade racing game.
  17. Aug 20, 2010
    Great mix of arcade and simulation and.....woah.....speed. I loved Forza 3 and GT5P and hated all th previous NFS franchise offerings but Shift really is in a class of its own. Loved every minute of it and the cockpit view is one of the best of any racing game on the market right now.
    Really looking forward to NFS Shift 2. Please don't mess with it too much you guys at Slightly Mad Studios. It's not too far off perfect as it is. Favourite car - the Pagani Zonda R is an absolute beast of a motor. Bring in a track editor for the next installment please.
  18. Dec 3, 2010
    I never cared much for the Need For Speed series but Need For Speed Shift is actually a pretty decent game. Especially now when you can collect it cheap from the bargain bin.
  19. Dec 21, 2010
    Very entertaining crossbreed of an arcade and a simulation racer, featuring lovingly recreated cabin views for each car, excellent sound effects, and plenty of addictive little challenges to spice up the otherwise mundane campaign mode.
  20. Jan 5, 2012
    A quick-to-pick-up racing game. It's really fun, and is easily playable by all. Sound is amazing and the in-car view for every car is simply fantastic. Well worth it.
  21. Mar 19, 2012
    excellent game. just started playing it again for my second playthrough. the only thing i dont like, is the fact that there isnt any classic muscle cars (aside from the old tier 1 gtr, but that hardly counts), and the customization is pretty difficult to use. you cant rotate you car in a free camera mode, you also can mirror the images you make on one side of the car to the opposite side.excellent game. just started playing it again for my second playthrough. the only thing i dont like, is the fact that there isnt any classic muscle cars (aside from the old tier 1 gtr, but that hardly counts), and the customization is pretty difficult to use. you cant rotate you car in a free camera mode, you also can mirror the images you make on one side of the car to the opposite side. i also found that a lot of the vinyls that you create look fine on the car in your showroom, but when you bring them out on the track, they skew and rotate into odd angles. i just decided to either go with a flat colour, or choose a preset. other than that, the game looks and plays extremely well, and the addition of "Works" is fantastic. i'm really starting to like the "off the streets" racing games since i played ProStreet. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2013
    Really good driving game. The handling is better then most need for speed games. It looks great, unlimited tuning options, good tracks, a lot of sweet cars, and great concept.
  23. May 18, 2016
    This game is good Racing Game . This game there is on PC , Xbox 360 , PS3 , PSP and ios . On PSP this game is sucked , On Ios I didnt see , but I played this game on PC and PS3 . On Xbox 360 didnt play , but I have Xbox 360 . This game even better than Need for Speed Hot Pirsuit . In thus game very good graphics for 2009 and this game , Dirt 2 and Motorstorm Arctic Edge are the best racingThis game is good Racing Game . This game there is on PC , Xbox 360 , PS3 , PSP and ios . On PSP this game is sucked , On Ios I didnt see , but I played this game on PC and PS3 . On Xbox 360 didnt play , but I have Xbox 360 . This game even better than Need for Speed Hot Pirsuit . In thus game very good graphics for 2009 and this game , Dirt 2 and Motorstorm Arctic Edge are the best racing games of 2009 . In this game awesome view from the cockpit and view behind . Very good Racing Game . 8/10 Expand

Need for Speed Shift gets the most important part of a racing game right and it does so with a flair that’s uncommon in a frequently po-faced genre, providing driving that’s genuinely thrilling.
    A glorious return to greatness (and even excellence) for EA's seminal racing franchise. Slightly Mad Studios has delivered a driving experience that, while not completely accurate in terms of its simulation aspects, is practically dead-on in terms of what it's like to race around some of the world's best racing circuits.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    The most substantial upgrade the NFS series has ever received, along with some of the best visuals in the genre's field. [Nov 2009, p.83]