7.4

1. Jul 8, 2014
    Not the One Piece Fighting Game from CC2 we're all dreaming of but still a great addition to the Unlimited World Franchise!

I'm glad they decided to create an original story for this game, it appeals to newcomers and fans better by presenting something new from the original creator. The gameplay seems mediocre at first but once you get used to it, you find that it's a lot deeper than you'd think. The graphics are pretty gorgeous and the levels are all varied and extremely fun. I love the emphasis on teamwork in the game, just adds more depth to the experience!

Coliseum mode is my favourite. Loved playing as my favourite side-characters in the series and it was an interesting concept for a stage!

Overall, a great One Piece Game that fans and non-fans can both enjoy!
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    This game is a perfect sequel to the unlimited games on the wii. I loved those games and spent almost 200 hours on them!!!!

Story: The story is much more interesting than the past games as we get Patrick Redfield and Pato, two characters developed by Oda himself. The story is really engaging while not being forced leaving path to the gameplay. Presentation: The visuals for this game

Presentation: The visuals for this game are gorgeous to look at and the soundtrack even if it doesn't use any original tracks is still amazing. The islands and their ambientation and relating to the series is also gorgeous.

Gameplay: The gameplay is exactly the same as the past games but slightly better. The character moves have been fantastically upgraded, each with their new moves from the new world post-timeskip and even new ways to play like when Usopp can enter first person mode or franky can build a cannon to hop into. For example if an enemy fires a cannonball Luffy will delfect it with his fussen, Zoro will cut it and Sanji will kick it. Most of the characters have also special abilities, like nami can steal, usopp can call some bugs to catch, chopper can dig and so on. The combat has been upgraded, where now you dodge in a quick time event making the battle more strategical and you now charge XP by fighting enemies. Even if more due to nostalgia I prefered the Thousand Sunny, Trans Town is a completely new experience. You feel more free and opened as you can move through town with luffy like you were spiderman and you can expand the town to build all the shops like in the past game (and new places too!). There are also there special minigames you can play and quite some upgrading to do to swap from the usual island exploring and fighting. There is also the new colosseum mode where you have to defeat bosses or hordes of enemy with several characters apart the straw hats. It would be repetitive but it is saved by the use of different characters and modes, as they are needed to unlock even more characters to play as!

However i had only 2 problems with this game:
    #1 Is that there is no more the Versus mode from the past games. And that was so much fun!!! I played it for hours upon hours with my friends. Now there is only a co-op mode in colosseum and also in story. While it still is fun I would have also loved a VS mode.
    #2 Is the limit of characters. You can only play with a certain number of characters and the other ones can only be enemies. Why can you play as Buggy but not with Caesar Clown or Hody Jones??? I died to play with them but in the end I couldn't. If you think of it, without counting the ones that were in UC2SP the new characters you can play as are only Law and Fujitora (wich are still both awesome).

Apart this the gameplay is similar to the past games but much newer and improved making it feel fresh and new.

Replay value: As the past game this game will give you tons of hours to play. I already played 30 hours and I still keep playing. The story mode includes special quests where you have to collect an item or kill a boss in a preset way. For example you have to fight against Law while he switches your hearts or you have to go with chopper to find some apples in the forest, or capture Alabasta by defeating Luffy with Crocodile and Robin as Miss Allsunday... the list goes on! Colosseum mode will also take you a lot of time

CONCLUSION: This game is a perfect sequel to it's old games. It has a perfect story mode and a really interesting colosseum mode, gorgeous graphics, engaging story and a ton of replayability and fun!!! This game should be enjoyed even by people who are not fans of the series. The only things that bug me are the characters and VS mode but apart that this game is perfect and it deserves a really high score anyway.

++ Engaging Story
    ++ Gorgeous Presentation
    +++ Perfectly updated moveset for everyone
    +++ Feels fresh and new
    ++ Engaging Colosseum Mode
    ++ Great Replayability
    - Limited Character Roster
    - No VS mode

Final score: 9.8 (Adjusted to 10 for Metacritic)
  3. Jul 11, 2014
    If you are a, One Piece fan, like myself,then this is a must buy, the controls are pretty good, the combat for the most part is tight, Zoro, and Usopp could use more variety in combos, and moves, but nonetheless a good, One Piece game. Hopefully we'll see a One Piece PS4 game in the states soon!
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    The Unlimited games from Ganbarion are back!
    While the game has few low points and repetitive combat, it's still a great experience for One Piece fans.
  5. Aug 8, 2014
    This One Piece game is a perfect way to showcase the way that the one piece franchise has huge potential in gaming. Fans will love t! I sure know that I did :)

1. Aug 26, 2014
    With a memorable cast and a great sense of style, One Piece: Ultimate World Red manages to defy the odds and show us that anime games can be a lot of fun. This action-packed brawler rewards fans with a brand new story, exciting gameplay and all kinds of over-the-top moments. Best of all, this is the type of game anybody can enjoy, even those of us who have never seen a single episode of the anime.
  2. Solid and respectable enough of the source material to be a fan-pleaser. Feels like button-bashy busywork to anybody else. [September 2014, p81]
  3. Numerous combo chains are simply useless – dummy-enemies could be scattered effortlessly. If you are really tired from crowd pummeling you can combine efforts with two other characters to depopulate surrounding area quickly. Bosses are the only worthy opponents, especially those who greatly exceed Luffy in size. [September 2014, p. 66]