Papo & Yo PlayStation 3

8.0

1. Dec 11, 2015
    I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll be reviewing it like if i paid its full price as it is no longer free to download.

Papo & Yo is another one of those examples that proves that videogames can be a medium for art, with its own personal story transmitting so many messages in a lovely universe supported by excellent music, there is no objective point to criticize the design of this game, but like every form of art your appreciation of its message will be very personal and therefore you may not like it at all.

Technically this is a good game, for small studio, good PS3 graphics (again for an indie game) and no important bugs, the controls are responsive, there is nothing exceptional here but also nothing harming the experience.

Now let's talk about what hurts, the length of game, count only 2 hours in a half to finish it, with very small replay value (you would probably remember every puzzle as they are not tough), even for 15€/$ it's not enough in my book.

To conclude even if I deeply enjoyed the game I can not rate Papo & Yo over 7 due to its extremely short length and the fact that some of you may not care at all about the story for the exact same reasons than I loved it. But if you're looking for "art games" you'll want to check this one out.
  2. Mar 19, 2015
    It's one of those games that uses abstract storytelling and symbolism to tell a mature and emotional tale. However gameplay and presentation deficiencies keep from being able to stand next to the likes of ICO and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. While it doesn't have the gameplay strength those titles have it does have the emotional depth they do. That's what makes this worth a look.It's one of those games that uses abstract storytelling and symbolism to tell a mature and emotional tale. However gameplay and presentation deficiencies keep from being able to stand next to the likes of ICO and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. While it doesn't have the gameplay strength those titles have it does have the emotional depth they do. That's what makes this worth a look.

However it still won't be for everyone. Many won't be able to get past the fact that the game still feels like it's in beta. Graphics are dated which hinders the beauty the world would have otherwise had. The lack of polish in the gameplay is just as evident. Mechanics can be quite awkward at times.

It's a very simple game. Puzzles aren't tough and the whole thing can be breezed through in about 3 hours. Outside of collectibles that pop up after you beat the game there isn't going to be much of a reason to give it a second go. It is a bare bones experience but one that's still worth checking out.

The story of the game couldn't be told this way in any other medium. Thats definitely it's greatest strength. While I'm happy to see another game with emotional weight out there it's not hard for me to wish the gameplay had received more attention. More variety in challenges would have been appreciated and it can seem like you're getting so little for your money.

Those who enjoy games that tell thought-provoking stories in interesting ways should give this a shot. The message is strong even if the gameplay isn't. There's nothing particularly broken or bad about it, but there are plenty of better puzzle-platformers out there. It's best to come into this wanting storytelling and message first and gameplay and length second.
  3. Aug 18, 2012
    It is a great game. If you have some spare time and don't know what to do, then Papo & Yo will perfectly fill the gap between afternoon and evening. Some fresh mechanics will bring a smile to your face, unique narrative provides nostalgia and your childhood memories with childish fantasy comes back immediately. From time to time, outstanding acoustic music is so perfect, that you just sitIt is a great game. If you have some spare time and don't know what to do, then Papo & Yo will perfectly fill the gap between afternoon and evening. Some fresh mechanics will bring a smile to your face, unique narrative provides nostalgia and your childhood memories with childish fantasy comes back immediately. From time to time, outstanding acoustic music is so perfect, that you just sit and listen to it very, very loud. It really is a great peace of work... but definitely it is not a good puzzle game. It's more like a mixture of platform and simple logic games. Unfortunately, you don't even have to think. Everything is clear just after you enter the new level. That's why I rated Papo & Yo 5. It has very good narrative, music and story, but, in terms of a GAME itself, it really lacks very, very much. Expand
  4. Aug 26, 2012
    It is certainly an interesting game, not the best game you can get for $ 14.99. It's a fairly short game, the graphics are very poor like the sound of the game (No DTS or Dolby Digital sound). The game's music composed by Brian D'Oliveira's is excellent.
    I love that game developers try new things, I can
  5. Aug 4, 2014
    This game gets a perfect score of 6.Through your journey to enlightenment this beasts claws touches the spots of the heart out of reach of a human with normal brain capacity. It leaves my mind beating like a heart with bad news. Pure genius. Purchase two copies.
  6. Aug 18, 2012
    8.25 - A buggy and unpolished indie title, yet an incredibly memorable and immensely creative indie title.  Papo y Yo deals with serious and mature themes, yet deals with them in creative, original, and imagineative ways.  The story is heavy with metaphors, yet it maintains innocence in its character study.  The underlying puzzle elements are incredibly simplistic, so don't8.25 - A buggy and unpolished indie title, yet an incredibly memorable and immensely creative indie title.  Papo y Yo deals with serious and mature themes, yet deals with them in creative, original, and imagineative ways.  The story is heavy with metaphors, yet it maintains innocence in its character study.  The underlying puzzle elements are incredibly simplistic, so don't expect to be challenged.  What is neat, though, are the ways you manipulate the world around you to access areas to move forward in the adventure.  I was wowed multiple times while playing.  The creative design of the game is incredible.  The soundtrack is also beautiful, a combination of Latin beats and gorgeous guitars and flutes and cellos that adapts and changes as you progress throughout areas.  It is buggy though, so be forewarned.  I had to jump out of the game once or twice, and had to help the game along sometimes.  Despite its blatant stumbles, I really think papo y yo is an incredible indie title.  I love how it deals with the heavy themes not frequently explored in games, and uses both metaphor and imagery to show the affects of substance abuse.  It's edgy, profound, and wildly original, which is exactly what I love in my games.  This is also a very good introductory title to the world of video games, becuase of the fact that it deals with such releveant themes in such a simplistic and ingenious way, and the simplicty of the game itself; i could definitly see people who have never played games before playing papo y yo and realize how far the medium of the video game has come.  I wish the puzzles were more than simple chores and the game is missing a layer of polish, but Papo Y Yo is a genuine, one of a kind experience. Collapse

1. Games Master UK
    Oct 24, 2012
    Hypnotically old stuff. [Dec 2012, p.85]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 8, 2012
    It's hard going, but worth the slog. [Nov 2012, p.66]
  3. Oct 1, 2012
    The gameplay halfway between platforming and puzzle-game works and is fun although it's a bit 'limited as varieties and situations, but in the end the relationship between Chico and Monster makes Papo & Yo a very good game and the finale is worth the entire game.