7.4

1. Dec 2, 2012
    On the outside PS All-Stars Battle Royale appeares to have the making of a huge brawling epic. The concept of all our PS All-Stars scrapping in imaginitive and fantastically crafted environments is a fabulous concept. For what All-Stars Battle Royale visually presents to the player, it doesn't disappoint. But when you play it, some of the magic starts to unravel and repetition startsOn the outside PS All-Stars Battle Royale appeares to have the making of a huge brawling epic. The concept of all our PS All-Stars scrapping in imaginitive and fantastically crafted environments is a fabulous concept. For what All-Stars Battle Royale visually presents to the player, it doesn't disappoint. But when you play it, some of the magic starts to unravel and repetition starts sticking in. Each fight can simply be finished with mindless button spamming and the game never encourages different play styles. Sure this problem is similar with most fighters, but All Stars Battle Royale is likely to gain criticism for this. The prologue and epilogue cutscenes are lazy alternatives for full blown cutscenes and the final boss encounter is a total pushover of button spamming. Sure, this makes the game very accessible for Playstation fans and casual gamers, but there isn't a significant challenge, even on the legend setting. The best part about ASBR is that it has glimpses of brilliant rival potential. Seeing Drake and Sly or Ratchet/Clank and Jak/Daxter talking trash to each other are truly great snippets. Also that salivating Madeon backing intro shows the potential that All Stars Battle Royale has. It's a decent enough distraction for massive playstation fans, but is a real disappointment considering the monolithic potential it had combining the personalities of all these characters together. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2012
    It's a weird game. It's a brawler that focuses on the chaos so that everyone has a chance, but technical enough that visiting friends won't be able to just pick up and play. The roster has several familiar faces, but lots of odd choices and several ex-exclusive characters's multiplatform renditions. The game all together shows a high level of technical competency, but lacks the theIt's a weird game. It's a brawler that focuses on the chaos so that everyone has a chance, but technical enough that visiting friends won't be able to just pick up and play. The roster has several familiar faces, but lots of odd choices and several ex-exclusive characters's multiplatform renditions. The game all together shows a high level of technical competency, but lacks the the vision (and legal department) to make it a really solid title. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    Let's be frank here. Those voting 10 are just as in the wrong as those voting 0. This game is not perfect. This game isn't even great. This game is fun, but it doesn't really extend any further than that. Another thing that we need to get straight is that this is NOTHING like Smash Bros. Anyone who's played both games enough will tell you they feel nothing alike. That's like sayingLet's be frank here. Those voting 10 are just as in the wrong as those voting 0. This game is not perfect. This game isn't even great. This game is fun, but it doesn't really extend any further than that. Another thing that we need to get straight is that this is NOTHING like Smash Bros. Anyone who's played both games enough will tell you they feel nothing alike. That's like saying Tekken Tag and Marvel 1 are similar due to them being tag team games. They have very different mechanics and objectives. However, unlike the aforementioned case it still does make sense to draw a couple of comparisons with them. First I'll start with the positives of the game: As I said, it's fun. It's pretty fun to mess about it and the online component is very good. Even in the demo it was pretty much lagless and it feels even better in the actual game. There are also a good unique stage ideas and the items are actually pretty well implemented. There's also a pretty good amount of content in the game and the rival interactions are a nice touch to the story. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end. Character roster is a mixed bag. It's great to see some classics like PaRapper and Sir Dan in the game. On the other hand, are Fat Princess, Gothic Dante and Evil Cole all that necessary? Though when it comes to character it's really down to preference (unless delving into balance). There are many issues I have with the fight system. First is the camera. In 1 on 1 bouts it's not to bad, but in free-for-alls it becomes extremely hard to keep track of your character because of how zoomed the camera is and how small they are in relation to the screen. It just does a poor job in general with keeping up with the action. Second is the combat mechanics. I'm not going to bash them for being different to Smash, that would be unfair. I will bash them however, for simply being unintuitive with the main culprit being in the achieving supers. Since supers are the only way to kill a foe, the system comes off as rather gimmicky and even worse, limiting. In 1 on 1 fights this is a real issue. Lvl 2 and lvl 3 supers in 1 on 1 take too long to achieve and are far too impractical, so you're limited to just lvl 1s and as a result are pinned to a single killing option. In addition to this, the combat feels very stilted. Too many moves from characters last for ages and knock you miles away. This on its own isn't too big of an issue if it weren't for the fact that lots of these moves have a massive recovery and quick startup and there's no way for the characters to move quickly to the foe to chase them down for more hits. Consequently, gameplay feels extremely stop-start. You get knocked by a big hit, you're waiting a good 6 or 7 seconds until either of you can do anything again (which for a fighting game is actually a LONG time). I shan't comment on the character balance though, it's far too early to tell. The metagame may develop and characters presumed to be good may be easily exploitable and vice versa. However, the game doesn't feel like it has much depth or pace to be considered a proper fighter. On the other hand though, the controls are quite unorthodox. They don't have Smash's wonderful simplicity. There's a lot of different attacks (which can be a good thing), but it makes it a little complex and unorthodox for brand new, casual players to ease into the game effectively. Onto presentational things, they're pretty shoddy. The interface is hideous. Bland, lifeless and devoid of any personality. It just looks cheap if anything. The soundtrack is alright. It's nice to hear some familiar tracks, but doesn't quite offer the same grand spectacle as, say, Brawl's soundtrack. It's simple and gets the job done. Graphics are pretty nice and the game runs at a stable solid frame-rate though the art direction seems rather inconsistent. Characters in particular look like they clash a little too much and don't really look like they could blend in the same universe all that well. Though it's not too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Overall, despite my lengthy list of cons I did have some decent fun with this game. With a couple of friends (particularly the ones that know a thing or two about Sony) it's good for a few laughs, but it doesn't really extend much further than that. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2012
    I wish I could claim that this brought all my PS fantasies to life. But NO. I think it's just as good as SS in many ways but it just does feel big enough. Do you know what I mean?
  5. Nov 24, 2012
    This game needs more girls. Throw in some Dead or Alive chicks, Lara Croft, Tifa Lockhart, Big Sister, Anna/Nina (Tekken) or anyone that doesn't look ugly. To have a cast of 20 and only 2 girls, where one is a fat princess and the other is facesmashed, that doesn't make this game appealing for the female part of the population (or the perverts for that matter).
  6. Nov 24, 2012
    It's good but it lacks not only characters and content but a health bar.... this is the worst decision to do this, because the game has become a choice of basically 3 characters with OP abilities that can kill you better. Not skill just, R2.
  7. dz9
    Nov 30, 2012
    Right off the bat, it is obvious that PS All Stars Battle Royale borrows inspiration from Super Smash Bros, but the similarities soon die there, but not for the better. Let's start with the good, PS All Stars has managed to integrate many different elements from various Playstation universes into one brawl successfully. The Playstation fan will be in awe after seeing how each characterRight off the bat, it is obvious that PS All Stars Battle Royale borrows inspiration from Super Smash Bros, but the similarities soon die there, but not for the better. Let's start with the good, PS All Stars has managed to integrate many different elements from various Playstation universes into one brawl successfully. The Playstation fan will be in awe after seeing how each character controls how they do in their actual titles, such as Nathan Drake's cover system attacks and Daunte's ability to chain Ebony and Ivory... such fan service should be applauded. But that's where the good ends, the gameplay itself is stale, sluggish, and bland. The main problem is that it's not dynamic like SSB, even with it's complex fighting mechanic (love it or hate it), the attacks never seem to be that rewarding. Which could contribute to the fact that there is no health system of any kind, leaving defense almost useless save for a few instances. The Good: Great artstyle, great integration of characters, amazing fan service, addicting online. The Bad: Stale unrewarding gameplay, bland and short campaign. Expand
  8. Jan 23, 2013
    Its not a great game, the characters are quite uninteresting and the art sucks, but if you have friends at your home.. the 4 player mode is a blast!!!
  9. Nov 20, 2012
    LETS ALL HATE NINTENDO FANBOYS AND GIVE THIS GAME A 10 ALTHOUGH WE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY IT OURSELF! LETS UPVOTE ALL THE 10's RATINGS BY SONY FANBOYS BECAUSE THATS NOT BAD AT ALL COMPARED TO NINTENDO FANS RATING A 1! You Sony Zombies are not a bit better than Nintendo zombies by rating this game a 10 and upvote all the 10. I hate the internet, seriously.
  10. Nov 20, 2012
    For a blatant smash bros clone, i wasn't expecting much, but after e3, tgs, and other previews i was actually pretty excited, and i thought it would be on par with melee, at least. However, the balance feels not that great, with especially Kratos feeling very op, and the physics feel very floaty and unbalanced. Also, i do not like the only supers KO thing, which again, makes it lackFor a blatant smash bros clone, i wasn't expecting much, but after e3, tgs, and other previews i was actually pretty excited, and i thought it would be on par with melee, at least. However, the balance feels not that great, with especially Kratos feeling very op, and the physics feel very floaty and unbalanced. Also, i do not like the only supers KO thing, which again, makes it lack balance. Single player is too short. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    Playstation all-stars battle royal tried something new for playstation. However SCEA made it obvious that pressure to make the game different from Super Smash Bros. The character are easy to lose on screen and it isn't balanced well enough. The main gripe I have is balance. Kratos does the most damage per second and Sackboy has BY FAR the best Level 3 super. I thought this game could bePlaystation all-stars battle royal tried something new for playstation. However SCEA made it obvious that pressure to make the game different from Super Smash Bros. The character are easy to lose on screen and it isn't balanced well enough. The main gripe I have is balance. Kratos does the most damage per second and Sackboy has BY FAR the best Level 3 super. I thought this game could be extremely fun to play with friends but is ended up being me destroying everybody with nathan drakes level 1 and his cheap barrel attack.

Even with all of it's flaws it is not a bad game. Just a mixed one.

I give this game a 6/10
  12. Mar 18, 2013
    I'm going to try and make history as I evaluate this game without mentioning "That game". Y'know, Su- whoops nearly! Anyways.

Playstation All Stars should really be called "Sony presents Game Marketing for other titles coming out soon", due to the inclusion of characters and locations from games that were not even released when this came out, not to mention a distinct lack of some other Playstation legends *coughlaracroftcough*. Anyways, I don't really mind that. But what I do mind is a game that has flaws. BIG flaws. Two in fact.

The first flaw is the distinct lack of polish the game has. It all feels tacky. The menus, the loading screens, the character models, the almost forgettable story slideshow picture thingies (I swear that they just ripped some concept art off DmC and slapped the awful in game Dante character model over it). Even the "original" music is completely unforgettable and bland. Other games similar to this, where characters from various developers and publishers are included, are almost always presented in the best light possible, which includes top quality User interfaces and music (like Marvel vs Capcom). Why 3rd party devs would give this game rights to use their characters i'll never know. Wait, I do know, I've said it earlier already; Marketing.

That's my first flaw, and, compared to the other one, poor quality is only a mild issue. Yes, the second flaw was the decider for me between a game that's brilliant and addictive, and a game that's quick to lose its charm. Its the gameplay; more specifically it's the games scoring concept. Originally, the games concept seems quite interesting; beat the other people to get special gauges and use the specials to eliminate the opposition to score points and win. It only takes your third game however to notice how much of a misfire the concept is. As combat is all about building special gauges, you will always spam the same combo; the one that gives you more AP. You can imagine how tedious that gets. I was talking about this to a mate, and he said "Well vary the combos up then!". Why? The combo I use builds the best AP, and there is absolutely no incentive to vary my combos up at all. If the AP built up in a combo would diminish after using too much repetition then yes it would give us a great reason to be creative and different! But no. This includes items, which, because they cant kill anyone, or build AP up as much as a normal combo are completely pointless to use! It gets worse. As it is all about getting AP as quickly as possible, it creates huge differences in character usefulness, ergo, ridiculously overpowered characters, like Kratos. He can gain AP so quickly and efficiently, you can even spam lvl 3 specials with ease (which too is so much more effective than many other lvl 3s). Sooo other than that its fine...

In all its fine to pick up and play for around 20 mins before you get bored, until you get a little urge to try it again, and realise after 20 mins why you stopped playing before. In business, a company will always try and beat its competitors by doing what they do, but better. Rarely will a business look at its successful competitor and try and do everything different. I guess this applies to Playstation All Stars doesn't it?

Super Smash Bros (dammit!)
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    Super Smash bros melee is a lot better with regards to the controls and responsiveness of the characters.
    Good music. The level design may seem a bit distracting at times. Zeus is overpowered on multilayer since its hard to 1v1 him. More DLC characters are on the way.
  14. Dec 31, 2012
    The game is not that bad with people saying it's a ssb clone. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE it's just sony's turn to do it with PlayStation characters. The game is fun with your family or friends. But there are some cons about the game. There are glitches in online, people using op characters such as kratos, raiden or dante. The game just doesn't really feel like a ssb clone to me. My excuse is alsoThe game is not that bad with people saying it's a ssb clone. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE it's just sony's turn to do it with PlayStation characters. The game is fun with your family or friends. But there are some cons about the game. There are glitches in online, people using op characters such as kratos, raiden or dante. The game just doesn't really feel like a ssb clone to me. My excuse is also they made the supers only to kill people so no health....Just killing people with supers. I can't really get a game in 1st anyway because people using the op characters and people who just don't try other characters. The game deserves a 7/10 though it's not great enough to be a ssb clone but a good one to say the least. Expand
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    great if you have friends over, but if you don't have the additional characters and you want to play intensively? pass and get a wii with smash bros, this is nothing like like it, it fun for awhile but the gets repetitive and there isnt a campaign or a map maker or anything worth replaying.
  16. Dec 3, 2012
    Arcade=Fun and Funny. Great time playing
    Arcade=Fun and Funny. Great time playing
    Online-If it wasnt for the OverlySpammable nature of players playing online this game would get at least a 9.5. Been playing online with a friend since it came out and all we have seen is spam...spam...spam...spam...spam...spam...kratos....spam....raiden....spam...spam...spam. Thats how it is. its rediculous. And i thought Brawl had alot of spammers NOPE!!!! All Stars promotes spamming. Its not a bad game its just the players that play it have no concept of the game or how to use the characters correctly. You can tell whos played brawl and who hasnt its sad.
    Offline wise-9.5/10
    Online-6.3/10
  17. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is not the smash bros clone everyone claimed it would be (or wanted it to be). It does not have the same unlocking depth as brawl or the fighting mechanic of melee, but the rooster is interesting and the gameplay is simple and fun. Don't play this alone. Go online or grab some friends, because multiplayer is where the game shines.
  18. Nov 23, 2012
    So after playing this game since it's release I must say I'm impressed at what they got. the gameplay is smooth, simple and fun, the graphics are rich for both PS3 and Vita and you got yourself a good selection of fighters with more to come later.

I'm not going over what this game is, you probably know anyway so let's get to the point. battle Royal is like Brawls but with it's own style. The more you take on enemies the more you charge up the bar down below fr a special. When that's charged you can kill your enemy if you hit them. There's three different versions of your super attack and each takes time to charge.

Single player.....well, your not getting much. you get a short intro (slide show anyway.) you fight, get a animated scene with your random opponent then boss fight. To be honest, once you find your fighter for the game you can pretty much beat the arcade mode in a breeze even on the hardest difficulty but it's the online that makes the game fun. Going up against real players is what makes this game shine, it's fun, fast and you'll be quickly addicted to it right away. My only flaw with this game is different game modes since you only get either free for all or team death match. It would have been a little interesting to see more game modes like one with health or a collecting game where you collect the orbs and see who has the most at the end but who knows, maybe they might release something special for it down the road.

In the end what you get is a great game for you and your friends to play and hey, if you purchase the PS3 version online you get a free Vita copy along with it. How cool is that?
  19. Nov 20, 2012
    Its hard to give score for fun game, which could be so much better.

+ Fighting system is fun and unique

- Poorly done story mode
    - Poorly done customisation
    - Lack of some most iconic characters
    - Missing online modes.
    - Need more stages
  20. Nov 20, 2012
    Although I'm a PlayStation fan, this game didn't get me so thrilled. It suffers a clear lack of content, and how could Smash Bros Brawl look better while it's on the Wii ?! Also, DLC characters are nice, but not when you got so little characters from basis.
    However, from what I've seen so far, the online is quite good, you quickly get used to the controls and it's actually just as fun as Smash Bros Brawl on multiplayer. A nice alternative for those who don't own the Wii. But if you do own one, please feel free to ignore this game and play Super Smash Bros Brawl.
  21. Nov 23, 2012
    Big fan of the Super Smash series but this one requires more thinking in setups/mixups. I found it more enjoyable and would love to see this series continue with a better Story/Arcade and more characters. Other then that this game is a blast to play!!!
  22. Nov 28, 2012
    A fun beat-em-up with 4 players, but as a fighting game it's horrendously flawed.

If you're reading this you probably already know the premise of PlayStation All-Stars; A 4 play beat-em-up featuring (mostly) Sony characters. PSABR's combat system, which makes super moves the only method to get kills it both it's greatest strength and most crippling weakness. In a 4 player match, you

PSABR's combat system, which makes super moves the only method to get kills it both it's greatest strength and most crippling weakness. In a 4 player match, you can beat on other players gain super meter very quickly and strategize on which super would be best for their situation, leading to some genuinely fun moments in gameplay. 4 player (and 2v2 variants) fighting is unfortunately where the fun ends with this game. In a 1v1 setting it's horribly paced and fundamentally broken. When fighting against one person, super meter builds more slowly, often causing matches to drag on. This would not be a problem if match setting could be modified to include time as well as stock, but currently you can only choose one or the other. 1v1 character balance is also very poor. Characters like Raiden, Dante and Kratos have attacks with quick start up, long reach and a lot of active frames. This leads to getting hit when you thought an attack animation ended and getting hit when you thought an attack would miss. Many character also have easier ways to hit confirm into a LVL1 super than others. For example, Dante can combo, cancel, and then go into super for a guaranteed kill. Considering that LVL1 builds faster than any other super, his combos can build a full meter, and not many other characters can do this, this gives him a significant advantage, and that's barely scratching the surface of problems. I have played many competitive fighters and this game is in no way, shape or form a competitive fighter.

The graphics for the game make the game look like a downloadable or budget title. The sound is fairly good. Most of the the themes come straight from their respective games. The slight remixes and music mash ups are entertaining.

In terms of gametypes the game is very barebones with just the standard variations of supers-only-kill modes. The unlockable extras for each character are a welcome feature, but it ultimately feels....insubstantial. Especially considering the price of the game.

(This small chunk of my review is opinionated and has little to do with the overall quality of the game): The roster for this game is also sorely lacking. I know fans of this game have their own camps, each asking for their third party character to make the roster for whatever reason, but what about Sony's first parties? Where are Level 5's character's? What about Team ICO? No Wipeout, No Wild Arms, No Legend of Dragoon, War of the Monsters, Frequency, Folklore, Mark of Kri, The list goes on. The creation of this game seems less about celebration of PlayStation throughout it's history and more about advertising their most currently relevant franchises, which would more than explain the incarnations of characters from unreleased games (at the time of this post).

In the end, this game is quite fun as a 4 player mash up. Just don't expect it to be fun as anything else.
  23. Dec 2, 2012
    A roster filled with Sony's flagship characters along with some recognizable third party visitors thrown into the mix. While bearing some similarities to the Smash Bros. series PlayStation All-Stars is a great game in it's own right.
  24. Dec 28, 2012
    Only twenty characters, and none are unlock able within the game itself, the other characters are probably five bucks apiece. Good job Sony, a game that was made worse than one made almost five years ago. These are the other things that mess up the game, 1. Some moves seem similar 2. The final boss for the story mode in this game isn't the one that is mainly attacking, also stealing theOnly twenty characters, and none are unlock able within the game itself, the other characters are probably five bucks apiece. Good job Sony, a game that was made worse than one made almost five years ago. These are the other things that mess up the game, 1. Some moves seem similar 2. The final boss for the story mode in this game isn't the one that is mainly attacking, also stealing the silvered idea from ultimate marvel vs capcom 3/marvel vs. capcom 3 for ones actually head on attacking you 3. Most boring credits in video game history 4. You get hit way too far with certain attacks 5. Only able to kill with special attack/item 6. Parappa the rapper and a cat seem out of place 7. Dante from DmC? 8. No real reason for fighting each other in story mode 9. Can only use x to jump. There are also positive things that are in this game 1. Bosses from other games in final boss fight 2. Cut scenes for story mode 3. Characters look like they should 4. Fairly unique attacks 5. Ranking system 6. Unlock able things for all characters 7. Enjoyable to play. Lists for both sides will go on for a long time, each about equalling each other. Overall 6.4/10 Expand
  25. Dec 14, 2012
    Is a very nice game overall, very addictive and fun.
    The cons of the game are the following: The rooster is poor (quality) for what it could be and makes you feel "incomplete" and with a lot of economical problems for having it good, makes you think that Dante for example maybe wouldn't be there if it weren't for his new game.
    Smaller roster, they could have added more characters of the
    Is a very nice game overall, very addictive and fun.
    Smaller roster, they could have added more characters of the same game like they have done with Infamous.
    feeling that the game is "incomplete", they could have more costumes, the character screens contains holes obviosly for futher characters that probably make it if the 3rd party wants, but thats the feeling a "they could have...".
    The best:
    Feeling of using each character extremely well done, when i use Drake for example i feel his hit and run style like if i were playing Uncharted, same as Dante and his combo cancels.
    Cool stages with lots of details.
    Very fun and addictive multiplayer.
  26. Jan 20, 2013
    A look at this game and you instantly think. "Oh look, trying to cash in on Super Smash Bros." I can see why people would say that, and I thought it myself. After playing this, I found it wasn't a complete clone of SSB. The gameplay is simple. Attack the enemy until they die. Each character is from a PlayStation title (Uncharted Littlebigplanet etc.) and they all have different uniqueA look at this game and you instantly think. "Oh look, trying to cash in on Super Smash Bros." I can see why people would say that, and I thought it myself. After playing this, I found it wasn't a complete clone of SSB. The gameplay is simple. Attack the enemy until they die. Each character is from a PlayStation title (Uncharted Littlebigplanet etc.) and they all have different unique attacks which I like. Like I said in my Far Cry 3 review, graphics don't make a game but I still mention them. The graphics are average, not bad, not good but you can deal with it. Gameplay, is a rather mixed bag. Can be fun, can be bad, glitches ruining the flow, some characters annoying and some voice actors haven't got their original actors. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is a mixed bag, unless its at a price of about 25 bucks, then I recommend a rent. I reward this game a 6/10, 6/10 doesn't mean sh**, it means *Meh*. Buy this game if its 30 bucks or less. Expand
  27. Feb 7, 2013
    Offline Gameplay is fun. I like the variety of characters so far and cannot wait for the dlc. As far as Online its a bit laggy. Somebody can be laying on the ground and magically do their level 1 and your dead. A laggy Kratos is ohh sooooo annoying. People still get kicked out the party so hopefully next patch they can fix that. Monthly DLC is a must for this game to keep it sellingOffline Gameplay is fun. I like the variety of characters so far and cannot wait for the dlc. As far as Online its a bit laggy. Somebody can be laying on the ground and magically do their level 1 and your dead. A laggy Kratos is ohh sooooo annoying. People still get kicked out the party so hopefully next patch they can fix that. Monthly DLC is a must for this game to keep it selling because so far employees are getting the axe and sony just left the premises. Good luck Superbot. Expand
  28. Mar 4, 2013
    At first, I wasn't a big fan of this game. I kept saying, "why doesn't this game play like smash bros!?!" But it actually grew on me. While the offline play is pretty lame, offering little variety in game modes, the online play is where it's at. Connection online is usually solid, which is more than I can say for Super Smash Bros Brawl. The developers are still coming out with newAt first, I wasn't a big fan of this game. I kept saying, "why doesn't this game play like smash bros!?!" But it actually grew on me. While the offline play is pretty lame, offering little variety in game modes, the online play is where it's at. Connection online is usually solid, which is more than I can say for Super Smash Bros Brawl. The developers are still coming out with new characters and balancing the original ones. The game plays differently than any other game I've ever played, it's refreshing. I would give it a 10 if the single player wasn't so blah. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    Embarrassingly devoid of features, Playstation All-stars is just begging to be compared to the Super Smash Bros. series. And it comes across as mediocre on most accounts.

The Combat Mechanics are one-dimensional; build your super meter. The extent to which strategy really comes into play, is only whether or not you will try to save your Supers for level 2 or 3 attacks, with varying degrees of success. The characters are fairly balanced, but the lack of health or anything else besides connecting with a super feels stale.

Additionally, the gameplay mechanics that _are_ well conceived suffer from identity crisis. The regular attacks seem to be made for a different game in mind; not the that ensues during a 4-player free for all. And with no online 1-on-1 matching, this is painfully evident. Playstation All-Stars shines best when playing in 2-on-2 team matches; the weaknesses in design are most mitigated, and the strengths come through the most brightly.

The character roster is great (although Raiden standing in where Snake should be, and DmC's Dante standing in where the Classic Dante ought to be it's an opaque reminder that this game is standing beneath the shadows of Super Smash Bros and Marvel vs. Capcom). High notes go to Big Daddy, Kratos, Heihachi, Cole, and others, who fit in wonderfully into the game's theming. While there is some design issues with the juxtaposition between realistic and cartoonish characters (and especially_ backgrounds), the overall theme works well.

Where this game crumbles, for me, is the utter lack of features and incentives to continue playing. "unlockables" are limited to entirely meaningless pattern design options for your online "battle card." While these options are entirely welcome, they are at best a side dish. Yet they make up the majority of what you will be "unlocking." The other unlockables are alternate entrance/victory poses and music themes. These are also welcome; but lest we forget, Heihachi has been doing alternate entrance victory animations since 1994's Tekken. Each character does get an additional costume, which is the only really substantial unlockable. All of these are unlocked by simply _playing the game_. each character "ranks up" the more you play him. Adding insult to the injury, additional costumes have been released as paid dlc.

Playstation All-Stars is most noticeably lacking in game modes; online ranked/random matches, offline versus, Story, and tutorial. There are no "interesting" diversions among them. The greatest offender _by_far_ is the Story mode. A few still image panels act as the character's intro; a few still image panels act as the character's ending. The "writing" is atrocious, even by Fighting game standards. the opportunity to capitalize on character personality interaction is severely unfulfilled. Every match in the mode is uninspired and non-unique. Each character has one "rival match" with another; it amounts to a 20 second cutscene and meaningless dialogue. After the fight, there isn't even a "resolution" scene of meaningless dialogue. The final boss, while _arguably_ creative, in actual execution is literally just a few clone characters that resemble Smash Bros.'s Polygon team.

And speaking of Smash bros.; it is hard not to draw comparison. Specifically in features. The N64's 13 year old Super Smash Bros. has more more varied story mode (with target breaking, multiple kirby matches, etc). All-Stars has none of it. SSB: Melee has _considerably_ more variety and interesting things to do; a game more than a decade older than All-Stars.

It's alarming how quickly you will reach the "wait... That's it?" moment with this game. Unless you are type of gamer who enjoys repetitive online multiplayer battles _as_their_own_reward_, then rent this game to experience it for a time, and move on.

A _generous_ six out of ten.
  30. Mar 15, 2013
    Sony's attempt at a mascot fighter is a fun game and has great potential in the future if the series continues, But comparing it to the main game series you can compare it to "Super Smash Bros." It is not as good, It lacks the iconic characters that Nintendo has under it's belt and one of the things I feel will hurt it as a party game what it is trying to be is the fact that it doesn'tSony's attempt at a mascot fighter is a fun game and has great potential in the future if the series continues, But comparing it to the main game series you can compare it to "Super Smash Bros." It is not as good, It lacks the iconic characters that Nintendo has under it's belt and one of the things I feel will hurt it as a party game what it is trying to be is the fact that it doesn't work as well as a pick up and play game, the game gets better the more you play it and practice a character which I feel hurts it, But on the other hand it also makes the game have a deep combat system which will be good for some. The game lacks the urgent feeling to the combat that others fighters have where you are losing health from every hit, the only way to kill other players is with Super attacks which means the only attacks that really matter are those. Nonetheless it's a solid title and if you are a PlayStation fan then this is a great game for you, Just like the first Smash Bros, PlayStation All-Stars has a great chance to improve drastically if a sequel happens. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 15, 2013
    Playstation All-Stars battle Royale: Not the all-star moment everyone was hoping for, Playstation All-Stars battle Royale is instead a decent enough fighter with serious balance problems and a boring cast. [March 2013]
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    It adds that element of strategizing, especially in online play, where a player can knock out all three of their opponents in fell swoop. Plus, much to my amazement, a character I had no experience using won me my first online match – thank you, Jak.
  3. Jan 30, 2013
    Overall, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is mildly fun.