8.7

1. Jan 16, 2015
    I started out giving it a 10 for being one of only a few PC style strategy games ported to the consoles. In the strategy resource managing area it is a 10.

Unfortunately the controls are not laid out well, and there is no user manual or "comprehensive" tutorial. I've accidentally found a lot of information by just randomly pushing every button...so there is information hidden within information hidden within information.......as obscure as holding the L-stick down at certain times or hitting the D-pad inside a menu that was already hidden inside of two other menus.

Basically you are on your own with no manual. The Kalypso site for the game is more interested in a flashy webpage that locks your computer up...no manual or any info on the game, just adds to sell expansions that in reality were probably patches to fix the bugs.

I bought the "Gold" bug free addition for $8 used and it was well worth it. I've experienced sleepless nights and been late for work ....so it must be good yes!?! One of the best strategy games akin to Civs Revolution.
  2. Oct 12, 2012
    Fans of the old KOEI strategy games from the 90s will definitely appreciate this game, I hope we see more like it on consoles in the future. If you were a fan of the KOEI's Uncharted series from the SNES days then this game will feel familiar, except with a lot more depth to it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Nov 27, 2012
    If you don't meet these criteria (those with saintly patience), chances are you'll get bored after an hour or two. [Issue#224, p.83]
  2. Essentially an account simulator (woo!) punctuated by the odd cannon-on-cannon scuffle. [Nov 2012, p.105]
  3. Sep 24, 2012
    Port Royale 3 is a deep simulation of a merchant's life in the 17th century. Unfortunately, a merchant's life isn't all that exiting.