8.3

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Another wonderful masterpiece brought to you by VALVe. This is A+ quality, well worth the $50 bucks.
    Everything looks so good in this game, the source engine seems to have evolved, it looks prettier than ever.
    If you liked the first installment of Portal, i'm sure you'll love Portal 2 with passion.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is somewhat mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Completed the single player last night and I feel as if I've lost a friend.
    I won't go into detail because one of the best aspects of the game is discovery, both physically as you explore Aperture Laboratories, and in terms of plot as you encounter new characters and elements of the story.
    Some people might not like the middle section, where the puzzles are outside of the 'test chamber'
    environment, but for me these add a massive boost to the game, since the urge to explore is as strong as the urge to solve the puzzle of how to get from A to B.
    Solving all of the puzzles is a joy... figuring out the solution then experiencing it made me laugh out loud many times. And there's great humour in the script, from Steven Merchant's bumbling Wheatley, to GLaDOS's withering put-downs.
    Replayability is limited to going back and winning trophies you may have missed along the way, which is all well and good except that if you're trying to get the trophy for completing a test chamber in a given time, actually finding that chamber post-completion is a task in itself since you can't just load up individual chambers.
    But I'm not going to mind revisiting some areas, since for now that's the only way you're able to get a puzzle 'fix' without playing the multiplayer.
    I've not done more than a few multiplayer levels, which I went through with my son. They're a great challenge, and I wish I didn't have to wait for someone else to play with in order to get to them!
    Having an early copy meant I couldn't find anyone online to play with, but I suspect it's going to be very frustrating to team up with someone you don't know. And I am pretty sure some players are going to be griefers who just want to wind up strangers by getting their robot character destroyed as often as possible.
    But maybe that in itself could be part of the fun...
    All I hope is that it's not going to be too long before Valve unleashes some single player downloadable content!
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Pretty pathetic the lengths people will go to trash this game. One or two complaints warrant a 0 score for the game? Complaining about the DLC store which isn't part of the PS3 game? 4 hours in, this has been a fantastic game so far. The new objects, bridges, lasers, gels offer plenty of new challenges. The story in engaging and dialogue is hilarious. Granted, the graphics are a bit dated, but if you let any of these naysayers talk you out of trying this game, you will be missing out on one of the best games released since the first Portal. Expand
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    Come on people for how long are we gonna take this crap, 60 bucks for 5 hours. The critics are also getting more unbelievable every day, and most of us get fooled by them. The game industry with its greed, and lust for domination, is crumbling more and more everyday.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    These people don't know what they have played, they say shooting portals is monotonous, which is not true. The game is very varied, the place where you play it, even though is decaying is very beautiful, it even reconstructs itself. The characters are amazing as well, they have unique personalities. I have to say those people rating low are just trolls who have no idea what a game is and who think a game is just about shooting and killing. Those call of duty fanboys don't know what a quality game is. I highly recommend this game. 10/10 Expand
  7. Jio
    Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, when I got it I was expecting a rehash of Portal with some added extras but what I found was that this is a great improvement from an already amazing game. While the campaign in the original portal was short, this one was amazing with a great story to match. My problems with the game is the co-op which required a lot of cooperation and is oftentimes very difficulty and replay value which isn't as great as other games with not much incentive to play after you beat the campaign. Expand
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    A great continuation of the portal story. It's sad to see users such as "Valvesucks" needlessly bring down the user score when they obviously haven't tried the game.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    I can say, without any single doubt, that this is the best game I have ever played since the golden Half Life 2 - Doom 3 era. It's maybe me, but I could say that this game is a potential GOTY.
    Great gameplay mechanics, superb voice acting, great humor, beautiful environments and general awesomeness make for a game that shouldn't be missed by anyone. And the campaign is pretty long, too.
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a truly amazing game. I had high expectations and they were definitely lived up to, if not outdone. The new atmosphere is amazing, and the robots have more personality than most human characters. This will be the best game of 2011.
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    Talk about a vindictive attack. I registered for Metacritic for no other reason than to help balance the senseless voting of a few limited minded individuates. If you are stupid enough to run through a game like this in 3 hours (not that I believe you can without glitching), than you deserve your sub-par experience. Go back to staring into a strobe light to fry your brain. Single player play time for me 7.5 hours. Enjoyed every moment. Great writing, acting and overall the ambiance is brilliant. Valve polished every inch of this game (will almost every inch) to a painful shine. While I won't call it hard, it is very satisfying. Looking forward to going through the game again just to see what I missed and pick up a few missed achievements. The biggest downside... Source. You can't help but notice that this game is running on one of the most out dated graphics engines still in modern production. Sure they upped some texture resolution and added a few more reflection effects, but it doesn't change the limited polygon count, and the slow loading times. Valve did great for the limitations of the technology, but longer draw distances would have made some scenes infinitely more epic in their scope. Technically I actually give this game a 8.5, strictly for the technical short comings, but for balance sake I will enter a 10. Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters, Portal 2 is masterful. The dlc is more of an avatar store, optional stuff people shouldn't be complaining about. Both full campaigns equal up to about 15 hours and they just beg to be replayed. This cake is not a lie
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    I love this game. The frame rate is crisp and the puzzles fun and imaginative. People detracting from this game are generally PC fanboys loosing another "exclusive" from their short list. The campaign lasts about 9 hours and the humor is top notch. The humor is not generally for children, and not because of vulgarity, but much like The Office, the humor is just above little one's heads. I love how the levels really feel to be actively changing as you move through them and the place feels alive. You never forget that you being toyed with. I honestly can recommend this game enough. Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    I had never played the first portal so I didn't quite know what to expect, but the game is a lot of fun and most of all a lot more inventive than the usual fare from the first person shooter genre. Being able to chose between playing on the PS3 or PC was a very nice bonus. Highly recommended.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Beautiful, puzzling, innovative, all in all just a perfect game that I'm sure I'll be playing for years to come. The PS3 copy came with a code for downloading a large file on the PC or Mac that is labeled portal 2 but all it does is crash. I wouldn't recommend bothering with the code.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign.

Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen
    to them, they are mad about an ARG and DLC that have nothing to do with the actual game), no, the game is not 3 hours long. No, there is no game-enhancing DLC to get upset about, the DLC, which is PC only in the first place, is purely aesthetic and no one who isn't interested has any reason to buy it. Finally, the ARG that took place before this game was release not only resulted in a midnight release on Steam (as opposed to the planned 7am release), it also got everyone who got all of the "potatoes" in the ARG Valve's *entire library of games for free*.

There is no reason to dislike this game, and many of the reviews are simply venting frustrations not at all related to the game's quality. It's better in every way than one than the original Portal, save one, originality. And let's face it, that magic has passed, we can't get that moment in time back, so we should enjoy an amazing game for what it is, the best possible sequel to Portal, and the best game of the year so far.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve has created a wonderful sequel to Portal. The enrichment center is alive. There are holes in the ceilings and walls that let the light filter through and plants grow through the cracks. The sounds of birds and crickets give it the feeling that nature has taken over. The graphical detail is much greater than the original Portal and I found myself wanting to explore as much as solve the puzzles. Everything about the game is an improvement over the first Portal. I highly recommend it to anyone who is tired of zombies and explosions. Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air. Expand
  18. May 10, 2011
    Critics are calling Portal 2 "A Masterpiece", some are even calling it "the greatest game ever created". But is it? Now I've played some amazing games in my time: Elf Bowling 1 & 2 but how does this rate in the real world? Well, let me tell you from one "hardcorer" to another, it's a bit like Portal 1, but I never played that game so I can't really comment. Anyway I have played Portal 2 though and it's quite a good game. You can move around. You can jump up and down. You can put yourself into holes... and come out the other side. If you're very clever you can even see yourself going in and out of the holes ***Spolier*** You're a chick with an orange jumpsuit and white T-Shirt!!!! On the negative side it does go on a bit. I was playing the first level for well over a week before I realised I didn't have the controller switched on. But once I did oh boy, the game frazzled my eye balls. The visuals are so cool it's like not even a video game but virtual reality, only in a fully realized as a cartoon. Seriously though, I can't tell you how amazing this game is. If you've only ever played Frogger before then you will be so startled you will die from excitment and delirium. It's funny too. When I was playing game I couldn't believe that evil artificial **** calling me an overweight scumbag for trying to murder her (Mom ain't so talkative now with duct tape wrapped around her mouth). As I was saying, the game is also funny, there's an evil artifical **** that keeps calling you an overweight scumbag for trying to murder her... wait a minute. Anyway if I could give this game 11 out of 10, I wouldn't because it's not as good as all that. However if you do like playing video games, this is one for you. You also get to stick a potato on your finger at one point. Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Okay this trolling is getting out of hand. I am going to both review the game and dispell all the lies.

#1 The game is NOT 4 hours long. It has been disproven by many gaming outlets; Rock Paper Shotgun, 1up, Kotaku, etc. On a speed run it takes about 7 hours to beat the SP.

#2. The DLC is ALL cosmetic. They do not charge for any added levels so this motion of you are missing game
    content because it costs money for a hat is ridiculous.

The game is amazing and one of the best and most creative games made. Fantastic voice acting, great story, mind boggling gameplay. Better than Portal 1 in every way and the best Valve game yet. Do yourself a favor and buy it!
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    please dont listen to the user score as of 4/19/11 i have no clue how they will be in the future but right now its all the trolls and the idiots thats dont know what a good game is or how to review a squeal. im giving it a 10/10 because it is a good sequel i am in no way saying its better then portal 1 because nothing ever is better then the original.the story line is not short its a perfect length the crazy antics are the same and it is a bit different then portal 1 and thats a good thing.get this game you will not be sorry. Expand
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Most of these "0" score Reviews are terrible. Give some thought and constructive criticism if your going to seriously give a game a 0 out of 10. But anyways, this game is Great. It is exactly what I expected it to be. My girlfriend and I have been playing for a few hours and it really makes you use your head. puzzles are not always as hard as you might make it out to be. It might not have great replay value, but I feel its worth the time it gives me. Expand
  22. May 30, 2011
    Portals genius is the way it takes a simple premise (get from A to B using portals) and turns it into one of the most mind boggling, original and downright addictive games you'll ever play. Even if you don't normally like puzzle games i'd urge you to at least try this as apart from being one of the best games of this generation it's also like no other game this generation.
    Is it perfect?
    No, but it's not far off. If you want to be picky then, yeah, it's a little bit short and lacks genuine replay value but does any of that really break the game in any way or stop it being one of the greatest puzzle games ever? Hell no! Expand
  23. May 7, 2011
    Please be warned, at the current price tag of over £30 this game is NOT worth it. It is far too short, and apart from some nice introductions of gel's and tractor beams ,the puzzles on the whole seem to be underdeveloped , and dumbed down from the original. The "escaping" section of the game is far too linear and uninteresting making one yearn to return to the "test" chambers.
    Don't get me wrong, this is a reasonably good game. The voice characterisation and scripting are both witty and sharp, and once the price drops by half it will be well worth a play through, but in my opinion Portal 2 is not a fully developed game. There are glimpses of the genius and charm of Portal 1 but a 5 out of ten for good effort is alI I can award it.
  24. Dec 18, 2013
    An improvement of a sequel if I ever saw one, Portal 2 outdoes its predecessor through new mechanics, more fascinating characters, and a deeper legacy to follow. Its intellectual and comedic genius has managed to break through the medium as something truly unlike anything else out there. Its pure dumb fun with all of the headache of a complex algebra problem. If this sounds like a bad thing, then you need to try it for yourself, because Portal 2 is well worth it. Expand
  25. Apr 24, 2011
    Valve have done it again! This game is Awesome, Pitty about the PSN being a bit rubbish, perhaps Sony should let valve take over the on-line side using their Steam systeml, GOTY in my opinion, Oh and ignore the trolls, if you want to experience a fine wine of a game get Portal 2
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Ok this game it's all I've waiting for, and I'm sure truly fans will agree with me, and the co-op mode it's a nice and great bonus. Graphics are good, gameplay is as awesome as Portal was and I'm in love with the wonderful soundtrack, the VALVe team did a magnificent work there. Worth the buy nuff said.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    My opinion for this game is it is a very great sequel, being a predecessor to its original game, (Portal). They have added many new types of mechanics and nifty things such as Repulsion Gel, Thermal Discouragement Beams, and many more. The story in my opinion is nothing short of just amazing. The difficulty is not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. my only complaint is it is about 8 hours long, but I assure you it will be the greatest 8 hours of your life. The also added a new multilayer option that you can play local or online. I have tried it out with a friend and it is fun, and also a bit more challenging the the single player. Overall a great game and if you have the money I suggest buying it Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is hands-down one of the best games I've ever played. The story is almost as much fun as the gameplay and all of the dialogue is genuinely funny. I've never played a game that made me audibly chuckle as often as this game does. I wanted to complete the puzzles so that I could hear the next bit of dialogue from all of the characters. Anybody that beat this game's single player campaign in 4 hours their first playthrough has to be some sort of supergenius speedfreak. It took me about 9 to finish, and I'm absolutely sure that time could be improved, but the game is so engaging, rich with detail, and fun to explore, I'd find myself reading many of the posters and pausing to make sure I didn't miss any dialogue. However, I still feel I spent at least 7 of those hours solving puzzles, so whether you care about the story and environs or not this game is still not as short as many people have noted. The puzzles are crafted so brilliantly by the creators that even though the solution may not be initially obvious, you always seem to find the solution, and they make you feel so smart for doing it. I really enjoyed the first Portal and the second installation took the best parts of the first and made them bigger, faster, and more exciting. What more could you ask for in a sequel?
    This is thus far my GOTY pick and if you play video games and value a good single player experience, it would be a shame not to play this game.
    I'm playing through the multiplayer now and have yet to finish it, but the puzzles are just as much fun as the single player campaign, but you absolutely must work together, so I don't recommend playing with someone you may fight with as things can get frustrating when you someone doesn't do their part or even just fires the wrong portal at the wrong time.
    All in all, I feel this game is at least a 95 out 100 for any gamer who likes to invest themselves in their games. It's a near perfect game to me if ever there was one.
  29. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the best game out there. So far the story is amazing and I don't want to spoil you with anything. Just enjoy your ride through the Aperture facilities and try to find your way out of this mess. Only 3 games could be better in the future: Episode Three, Mass Effect 3 and Half-Life 3 :D
  30. Apr 24, 2011
    £33 is not much for any PS3 game, never mind one of this calibre. I did finish the single player campaign in a fairly short amount of time but I must admit to having watched the walkthroughs online (mainly for the story, but I did remember quite a few of the bigger solutions). It's a great game, it's just a shame that amazon sent it 2 days late and PSN is acting up, but I will hopefully play through the Co-op on split screen later today. Great game, slightly short but doesn't need to be longer. Not ten as little replay value, blah blah blah. Expand
  31. Apr 24, 2011
    The self-righteous,entitled trolls around here are probably those who played the Valve "ARG" game and thought they'd win a house or something. Don't listen to them. This is honestly one of the best game I've ever played and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600. It's fun, It's clever, it reminded me that there are still people that *care* about making great games instead of **** them out from the game-o-tron factory.

I am not even exaggerating when I say I laughed more playing this game than I laughed playing all the other games I ever played put together. Yes, it is that good. In fact, this is more than a game. It's an experience. Personally I have a hard time finishing a game these days. I usually lose interest halfway because,well, because game-o-tron factory. This is the only game I ever restarted right after finishing it (with the developer's commentaries of course) because I wanted MORE. In fact ,I want all game developers making a game right now to stop whatever they're doing and play this game. Better yet, playing this game should be mandatory in every game-making courses (or whatever it's called right now). Long story short: VALVe has done it again but BETTER. This is a masterpiece plain and simple. Go play it NOW.
  32. Apr 24, 2011
    Please do not listen to any one who tells you this game is anything less that brilliant, you can easily forgive it for being short mainly due to the fact that is so fun you will find your self passing the single player more times than you feel comfortable with. The voice acting is top notch and it makes me hope to see Stephen Merchant reprising his role in any way possible, not only because he captured the character of wheatley brilliantly, but because his character is so lovable i couldn't imagine it any other way. The music is ear-gasmic, so much so it is the only game i would recommend buying the soundtrack. it offers more than any other sequel has ever done before by turning a 2 hour game in to a fully fledged 5 - 8 hour masterpiece with unforgettable characters and amazing gaming moments. you will find your self laughing more than being frustrated by the villains dead pan and hilarious comments. Expand
  33. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best story lines and satisfying game play I have played in years. It deserves All the love it gets. It's even greater on ps3, better graphics and PC and ps3 gamers can play online together.
  34. Apr 24, 2011
    I don't even understand how people are rating this game 0. Lack of content? There are 2 games in this game. DLC? Its so optional its crazy. And has anybody looked at the prices? I'm pretty sure its like a dollar for the things people are rating this game 0 for. Furthermore, when you buy the ps3 edition, you get a free computer version. Also, the game is $49.99 on steam right now. People pay 59 for freaking black ops STILL. FINALLY. If you bought the potato sack, and beat the games and all that junk, you got a free copy of portal 2. How are these the actions of a company that cares only about money?! Expand
  35. Apr 25, 2011
    I found this game an excellent sequel. For me, it is the games writing that really sets it apart. The comedy and voice acting is brilliant and at times they manage to even scare you despite you knowing there are no actual enemies in the game (as it is all puzzle based). The player gets to explore and understand the history of Aperture laboratories and makes the relatively closed world of the first instalment a much bigger one.

On a puzzle based note, I did feel that the puzzles weren't as challenging as I thought they would be. I was expecting a much steeper difficulty curve, with only a couple of the puzzles posing any real difficulty (maybe I have been thinking with portals too long?). That said, there is no reason not to pick this title up if you are a fan of good puzzle games, a fan of the first one, or just very entertaining and clever writing. At the time of writing this, PSN has been down since its release so I am unable to comment on the cooperative mode, however, I have heard from fellow Steam users that it is just as good as the single player experience, if not with harder puzzles.
  36. Jun 14, 2011
    VALVE is on their game. Mostly just basically look forward to intense gameplay, beautiful graphics, great multiplayer, great story, and great everything else. Remarkable game.
  37. Jul 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is a brilliantly witty, tongue-in-cheek game. The single player aspect took me a good 12 hours to get through, puzzling over each test chamber, sometimes then having a moment of eureka and realising how easy it is to solve. The voice work is brilliant, with Stephen Merchant giving a touch of sarcastic humour to the game, with Glados as sinister as always. The co-op, which leads on from the end of the single player campaign, is really good too, but works best with a friend in the room or over a microphone. Me and my mate completed it largely mic-free and we had some hilarious cases of misunderstanding and frustration. The graphics are nice too, even on PS3, which comes with a free PC copy which is also nice and hopefully this will happen more in future. Overall, Portal 2 is great fun, 4/5. Expand
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    A true masterpiece. There is nothing to add. It is brilliant, funny, full of ideas. The two-player mode is fantastic. The graphics have a unique style. A fantastic and unique game.
  39. Jul 29, 2011
    Let me start by saying this is a BIAS review... original Portal was EPIC. If you haven't played it yet then get your a** on steam ( or buy the Orange Box) and play it already. That said this is a ten fold improvement on all fronts... The characters are great, the pacing is perfect and the few difficulty spikes are followed by a sense of accomplishment that is better left for you to find out for yourself. PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! do NOT get online and cheat your way through the puzzles by looking at a walk through. This game will be enjoyed so much more if you take you time and figure it out on your own. Final verdict... BUY IT NOW!!! Expand
  40. Apr 26, 2011
    First off - people ranking the game a zero to "compensate" for the 10s probably just need to do something to compensate for their other "disadvantages". Maybe someone DID feel it was a 10. But there are people here saying "I'd give it a 7, but since so many people rated it high I'm going to give it a zero", and that's just plain dumb. I didn't feel the game was a ten. It was far too short for that. I completed single player in about 4 and a half hours. For $60? Pfft. If it were $20 I'd probably give it a 10, but not at this price point. Fortunately Best Buy gave $10 gift cards so I didn't feel TOO ripped off, but if it weren't for the funny dialogue, I'd probably give this a 6. Some puzzles were challenging, but once you start thinking in portals the solutions tend to come naturally and no puzzle had me stuck for more than 15 minutes. I might hang on to this for the co-op, but by the time I've finished that, I'll be trading towards LA Noire. Expand
  41. May 2, 2011
    Come on guys Portal 2 is NOT the best game ever made for the ps3! 95 on metacritic? I wish people would review games via genre sometimes. For its genre it is the best game available for sure. Its down right addictive, clever and enjoyable. Rating it higher than Uncharted 2, GTA4/RDR and other games of epic propertions is ridiculous. Its worth having in your collection but If it had to be put into the list of ps3 best titles it would come around 70th at best. Expand
  42. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Most well designed puzzle game of all time, and it's also the funniest game i've ever played. Truly a genius work of art.
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    The best console version, and almost on-par with the PC version. If you are going to get a version, it should be this one, it comes with free PC/Mac copy. (unique to the PS3 version).
  44. Jul 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is at least as good as Portal, or dare I say it, better! The game is perhaps a bit unbalanced though, the first half or more of the game contains quite easy puzzles and then they're getting a lot harder fast. I really liked that they told the hidden story so to speak, with the old facility underneath it all, it gave depth to the game without being pretentious. Nary a dull moment and the finale was great! Brought a little tear to my eye. ;-) Expand
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    The first thing I noticed about Portal 2 was how funny it is. Well, one of the first things, anyway. The script, together with excellent voice acting (from Stephen Merchant, the superb JK Simmons, and of course Ellen McLain returning as GLaDOS) provides moments of hilarity while moving along what is otherwise a fairly dark plot. You return as Chell, the mute women from the first game who killed GLaDOS, and are placed in a post-apocalyptic world after being drugged and unconscious for who knows how long. But none of that matters, because you are there to test Aperture Science's many inventions, including Aerial Faith Plates, Proplusion Gel, Excursion Funnels, and, of course, the Portal Gun. The new test areas seem familiar at first, as they resemble (in fact some are the same as) test rooms in the original game. Soon, however, you are placed into rooms with a huge area and new devices. What the game does really well is distinguish the feel of the different kinds of puzzles. When you are in a test chamber within rooms designed by GLaDOS, it feels like someone made sure there was a way out. However, when you go behind the scenes, you truly feel like you're improvising as you go, and there's not only one solution that someone intended you to find. There is, of course, but the difference in feeling is palpable. The campaign is short (I think I finished in 6-8 hours), but is deserving of at least two replays, and there are co-op levels as well, which add to length of the game. Interestingly, PS3, Mac, and PC owners can link up via their Steam account, which is a huge bonus. To top it all off, of course, is the story. In the original game, the story was told behind-the-scenes, relying on the player to figure it out, and that's changed this time around. Let me say that I loved the barely spoken plot in the original game, but Portal 2's story is incredible, and told without the use of cut scenes (for the most part). Rather, it is told through dialogue and other types of voice-over. I won't go into detail since the plot is part of the richness of discovery, and there's a lot to discover in Portal 2. You'll want to see it all. Expand
  46. May 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is an engrossing and clever masterpiece. Everything, from the first minute to the last, is extroaordinary. The hilarity of Wheatley's mischief, the shock of betrayal, the happiness of GLaDOS' change of heart...everything is sewn together perfectly. Expand
  47. Apr 23, 2011
    Great sound and graphics. Difficult puzzles that are actually pretty fun to play + a decent story and coop. I believe the user score is too low here and as with all Valve games I wish they were longer, just like I wished all great movies were longer.
  48. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-paced and driven by a dark and ominous soundtrack, invokes memories of Half-Life 2. The writing and voice acting are superb, with plenty of comic relief to put a smile on your face. While it's not the revolution HL2 was, it's as every bit a masterpiece in game design. Players looking for hardcore dexterity-based puzzles may be disappointed. Those of us who enjoy all aspects of gaming will cherish Portal 2 as an instant classic. Expand
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    I was waiting for this game for about a year. I am a big fan of the original portal.Actually the game is OK, but it is not a sandbox anymore like Portal 1. Everything is scripted. If you throw the cube it will 100% fall in the right place, the portal will open in right place, laser beam will hit its target, etc. This is why I do not like portal 2. From the other side, the game is good. A+ high quality puzzle. Levels are hard enough but not too hard. Interesting plot. My mark is 0 only because it is too scripted. I loved portal 1, and I hoped portal 2 would be the same... Expand
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    Since all you fanboys, and anti-fanboys, can't use a number other than 10, or 0, I'll be the voice of reason. I just finished the single player campaign and have no qualms with offering an 8/10 for this title overall. ~$60 does seem a bit pricey for what amounts to 6-7 hours spc time, but with the hours of enjoyment dropping someone else into an acid bath as an added bonus I'd consider it money well spent. Another factor not reasoned by many are potential challenge modes (fewest portals, steps, least time), a la numero un. The story is well crafted, and yes there is a cliffhanger. Do you not want a third installment? Graphics are improved, but not markedly from the original. We are talking about Valve here. For those complaints concerning the stupid hats and glasses offered as DLC, if you don't want a stupid hat or glasses don't buy them!!!11 It's called capitalism, if no one buys the crap it'll either not be offered or will be bundled in the next one.
    tl;dr better graphics than first, little pricey, don't buy extra s#$t 8/10
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to everyone here giving the game a 0 or a 1. The only points these /v/ members have are: 1) Day 1 DLC (the DLC is only customization for your co-op bot, and does not affect gameplay whatsoever, so there is no reason to even consider buying the DLC. Although I do agree that charging for this stuff from day 1 seems kind of lame, the actual value of the DLC is little other than for those who would like to splurge their cash on extra hats and emoticons for their co-op player.)
    2) Short story (the actual singleplayer story runs about 6+ hours AT LEAST provided that you don't google the solutions for every puzzle, and the co-op story is another 5+ hours.
    Please don't let the mediocre userscore turn you off. The trolls here hating on this game have no base and no ground for giving a AAA game a 0. (seriously? vavlesucks? could you possibly make yourself more obvious)
    Just buy the game. It's worth it.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great game...single player and multilayer done great hours of fun for you and a friend. What can i say VALVe just puts another notch in their already heavy belt of great games. well well worth the 60 dollars the gestures you can make with the guests are great and the steam overlay on the system works beautifully. chats come up in the lower right corner just like on the PC and allow the game to run smoothly and unaffected. The people on here complaining about the graphics must be retarded source still looks great and we ALL know they are not going to release source 2 until half life 3 so the fact you got your hopes up just shows how dumb you really are. Expand
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    This is probably one of the best PS3 games out this year, and a free pc copy makes all that much better. The plot is good and the gameplay is excellent, the portal mechanics have been fine tuned to near perfection.
  54. Pep
    Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 was great. I absoluteley loved it, and enjoyed every piece of it. I would recommend this game to everyone I know, and think that spending 50 $ was worth all the money. (10.0)
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    My opinions on the game are that it is a beautifully crafted masterpiece that is worthy of it's 95 metacritic rating and that people can play and enjoy whilst also being mentally challenged to solve the puzzles provided. The witty Humour and constant one-liners from Glados, Cave Johnson and Wheatley make the game ever more fun and add hilarity into the Mix, Valve certainly know how to make you laugh.
    Overall for me this game gets a 10 and if you're strapped for cash i would go for it and it is cheaper than any other brand new game out there.
    AS well as this Everybody Talking about Day 1 DLC being bad and it's too short are wrong,. You don't need the DLC to play the game and enjoy it's just there if you want it, all it is is optional extras like hats and costumes. As well as this the Game it self lasts in the region of 12-15 hours for everything (or 17-20) if you listen to the developer commentaries as we
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve has done it again , incredible game like aways. The 1st Portal was such a lovely surprise in the orange box , such a smart and innovative gameplay and Portal 2 just took this formula to another level. I really don't know how many smart people you must place together to figure out soo many ,soo different and soo smart puzzles. I think when game industry was invented many ears ago , the goal was just to entertain people , then games become something more , something bigger and games like War Craft , Star Craft , Half Life and Portal boost the evolution of gaming and made an example how to make FPS shooter and real time strategies. Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply ignore the users giving it a 0 rating, the game itself is wonderful and amazing. It has a great mix of humor, action and puzzles to solve. If people must complain about the price there were numerous sites offering it for as little as 34$ (some gave away gift cards worth up to 20$). It really is far from a disappointment, so what if there is a day 1 DLC that offers new looks for your robots..isn't that the same reason a lot of people gave up on TF2 anyways? They aren't forcing anything on you, remember this. The Co-Op has been obviously one of their most cherished pieces of the game, thus majority of the trailers and videos for the game showing the new Co-Op characters and gameplay. It's a whole new game inside of a game. Don't forget they also made the game cross platform, so you can play with people on either PS3 or even the PC! (Plus the PS3 comes with a free copy of the PC version for steam, so why not?!) Expand
  58. Ru3
    Apr 20, 2011
    I only played portal 1 briefly, so for all intents and purposes I am a newcomer to Portal in Portal 2. But I have to say, I was riveted. Yes, I finished the entire campaign in 2 days, but that was playing for about... 5 hours each day, give or take. I took it slow. I enjoyed the dialogue, the interesting backstory and the hilarity of the voice actors.
    I wasn't even aware there was DLC. And
    to that end- who cares? If you don't like DLC, DONT DOWNLOAD IT. It's cosmetic. Seriously. I don't know what people are getting so worked up about; if people don't like the fact that the DLC costs so much, then DONT BUY IT. Sheesh.
    The graphics use a dated engine, fair enough. But it's not meant to look insane with visuals. The concept is what is being promoted. The game did exactly what it was meant to do- play with physics to solve the puzzles, and make it longer than portal 1. Which it did (apparently, since Portal 1 was short as hell).

And if people didn't like the concept of shooting portals to solve puzzles, maybe they shouldn't have bought a freaking puzzle game! I am not a fanboy. I appreciate a job well done when I see it. Yes, it lasted 2 days for me, but they were two days well spent. And I'm not buying DLC- why? BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO- and that DOESNT affect what I feel about the game itself.
  59. Apr 22, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    nikmaster gives the game a 0 rating and yet he actually says, "the game is good," "A+ quality puzzle." WTF? I think I'm lost.

So, nikmaster, sorry to stick to your review it just really perturbed me, you purchased a puzzle game with "A+ quality puzzle" (you said puzzle rather than puzzles not me) and gave the game a 0 rating based on the fact that you say it is no longer a "sandbox"
    game? At what point was the first Portal a "sandbox" game? Every room in that game seemed pretty confined with only one way out to me. Never did I walk into a room and decide to talk to Gay Tony about opening the door on the left rather than heading over the the right door where a local junkie needed me to score some coke from behind that door. The goal has always been (besides defeating the boss, which technically is still the same thing) to get out of the room your are in by solving a puzzle using portals. Anyway, I really like the game, I enjoyed the humor, the atmosphere can be eerie, the puzzles are fun, and co-op is a very nice addition. I switched from the Xbox version last time to the PS3 version this time (comes with a free PC download of the game which people don't seem to be mentioning) and the textures seem to be much higher res but the particle effects look like streamers rather than the firework like effect from the Xbox version I played while playing Portal 1.

I might be missing something but, I was never able to figure out how to voice chat in co-op on the PS3 version of the game, only text chat; that is not acceptable.

Great game overall; also, portal is great for getting your wife into FPS games... she can learn FPS controls while playing a puzzle game!
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    A sequel greater than its predecessor. Great visuals. Great dialogue. Great gameplay. Online co-op is addicting.

It's totally worth your money to go pick this game up today. Pick up the PS3 version and get the PC version through Steam for free. Steam and PSN integration is hopefully something we see more PlayStation games go to.
  62. Apr 21, 2011
    In all of my years playing video games, and all the different types of games I've played, none of them ever made me want to keep playing more, more than Portal and Portal 2. A lot of people complain that Portal 2 is too short, but from my perspective, it adds more playback value. In my honest opinion, Portal 2 is but a pinch shy from a perfect game. Comparing my experiences with other masterpieces such as MGS4, Final Fantasy, and Legend of Zelda, Portal 2 gave me that urge to keep playing and make the most out of it. The only other game that also made me want to keep playing were (the earlier) Guitar Hero games and they didn't even have a storyline back then. So what does Portal 2 bring to the table? A great story, lovable and despicable characters, unique and addictive gameplay, high playback value, a cute almost childish simple sense of humor, and an awesome soundtrack. My only complaint is the fact that the final boss battle could have been a bit more difficult. I found some of the levels much harder than the final battle, and the fact that there are no more cake jokes. I'm not sure if you would call that a spoiler but I don't care. I love the game and I will be playing Portal 2 for a very, very long time. In three words, Portal 2 "was a triumph!" Expand
  63. Apr 21, 2011
    I loved this game. I'd rate it a 9 but for it to get to that average I must rate it as a 10. It took me 9 hours to complete single player and I still haven't gone through with developer's commentary, or finished co-op. It's definitely worth the money being that it comes with the PC and Mac version (a $50 value) free. I loved all of the black humor and the enveloping story. This is a sequel that I'm not at all disappointed with, being that I hardly expected one when playing through the first game. This is a great game that I'd whole-heartedly recommend to anyone, no matter if you're a gamer or not nor what genre of game you normally play, and, in my opinion, is a front runner for Game of the Year. That being said I'd have liked to see more of the testing elements combined in the tests and some more difficult tests for the hardcore gamers, that is my only negative comment. Expand
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    1. If you beat the game in four hours, you should be proud of yourself. Not everyone can beat it as fast as you. Plus there are the co-op missions, which will add at least four more hours for someone with your skill.
    2. You're not being forced to pay for cosmetic DLC so why complain? Every dollar you choose to spend helps the developers.
    3. I think the PC should be able to see through
    multiple portals.
    4. I will agree that ARG was a disappointment, but that's more of a marketing scheme than gameplay value.
  66. Apr 21, 2011
    First off love the game never played the first but maybe I'll head back now. Anyways I notice how the pc version is one point higher which is not mine concern. What bothers me is that ps3 and xbox version are rated the same even though the ps3 gets a free pc copy and we can play with pc users. Either bring the rating for ps3 up or 360 down
  67. Apr 21, 2011
    A wonderful game that does the original justice while adding wonderful new elements. Do not listen to the trolls, this game isn't 5 hours long or crappy. Not even close to a waste of money.
  68. Apr 21, 2011
    Fantastic game with at least 15 hours of play time. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Better than the first, totally worth the price. The cross platform play is also exceptional. Well done Valve.
  69. Apr 23, 2011
    It is awesome! Go away haters! Portal 2 is a must buy and does everything right! Best game out this year so far! The game doesn't deserve 0's and 1's. It deserves 9's and 10's!
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    This game is fantastic, and overall one of the best games I've ever played. Is it a 20 hour game? No. You can get through the single player in 6-8 hours (very roughly) and co-op will add about 5 or so hours to it. The replay value isn't in the gameplay per se (though it is very fun) but in the amazing dialogue and hilarious characters. You are doing your self a disservice by not picking up this game. Expand
  71. Apr 23, 2011
    Very fun game! A fan of the first game, Portal 2 has more of a story to it with the same challenging puzzles as the first. On chapter 7 and it's been a fun ride so far, can't stop playing the damn game!
  72. Apr 25, 2011
    If you've ever enjoyed a Valve game, then you already know how good Portal 2 is. Every moment is a delight. And just to be clear, the single player campaign is longer than the Portal one by a good few hours, and that's not even considering the co-op. Cheap at twice the price, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if your sole criteria for what makes a good game is how long it takes you to
    complete it, then you need to reassess your priorities. I'd rather have half a dozen hours of perfection than 80 hours of thinly spread repetitive grind. If you actually managed to come away from Portal 2 feeling disappointed, then you have bigger problems than having just 'wasted' your money on a video game. Expand
  73. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fantastic game. Those who are complaining about the short length (it's about 7-8 hours without rushing) are neglecting to mention that those 7-8 hours are pure excitement. There is never a dull moment. No item finding, no leveling up, no fetch-quests. Without all the fluff common in other games, it leaves an incredibly well-written narrative coupled with mind-bending puzzles and jaw dropping set-pieces. Could it have been longer? Sure. But what you get is a fully satisfying experience, and it'll be easy to go back and play it multiple times. This one will be hard to beat for GotY. Expand
  74. Apr 27, 2011
    Portal 2 is excellent all the way through. The puzzles are great, and are presented along a well executed curve of difficulty. The voice acting and humor are both top notch. I would absolutely recommend trying this game out, especially if you have played through the first Portal and are a fan. And for those who are giving it 0's to even out the score to what you think it should be, an average is supposed to be an average of everyone's opinion, not what you think it should be. Don't ruin the site for everyone. Expand
  75. Apr 28, 2011
    never played the first so dont know about the sandbox style of the first..and when my misses bought me this game i was not looking forward to playing it(i like to shoot things) but it blew me away and i got addicted!! now if only the psn was working so i can co-op online
  76. May 29, 2011
    The original Portal quickly became a sensation in the gaming industry, so how do you follow it up, like this. Portal 2 does practically every thing right, it's laugh out loud funny, has brilliant puzzle design, and has a deep, rich back story about Apeture you will get to learn. The normal campaign will probably clock in from 5 to 7 hours on your first play through a the co-op will take about as long. that's around 10 to 14 hours considering you don't play through it again. And that's not what you do in Portal, you replay it countless times because it an excellent game. Overall, is Portal 2 better than the original? Well in terms of game play, to me it makes the original look like a tech demo because of all these creative new elements in the game. In terms of humor, music, and design it's also better. But in terms of which game changed the industry and will be most likely be remembered more, Portal 1 will always win. Expand
  77. May 29, 2011
    This is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twists which will make you scratch your head and keep playing just to see what's going on; and new gameplay devices are introduced smoothly and expertly, never overwhelming the player. It's also interesting to see how Valve handled co-op mode: it's a whole new campaign by itself, and it features an indicator system that may not be as effective as using an actual headset, but it's surprisingly functional all the same. All in all, there's nothing wrong to be found here... Unless you're so spoiled about game length to the point that 16 hours devoted to high quality gaming isn't as good as 40 hours managing inventory just so you can endure another 40 hours of medieval fantasy cliches. Then, and only then, Portal 2 isn't the game for you. Expand
  78. Jul 27, 2011
    Easily one of the best games ever made . Don't make yourself the ignorance of not playing this all time masterpiece Awesome character design spectacular writing and amazing overall gameplay experience I didn't regret buying . Perfect in all ways!
  79. Jun 28, 2011
    I did not even play the first portal, and yet i am so convinced Valve have created a monster franchise out of this game. It was funny, witty, and truly cynical in it's humor. Thanks for the great game Valve. A plus for Playstation 3 owners, you get a free version of Portal 2 for Steam on PC, definitely sold me the copy I bought. But honestly, I did not even play the PC version. What I did like though, was to be able to play my Steam friends through the PSN while they were on Steam!!!! That was such a great idea. Expand
  80. Jul 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The perfect combination of puzzles and fps gaming, plus a wonderful co-op. The only problem is that the source shows its age but this amazing music make you forgive. Expand
  81. Jul 16, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played in my life, simply put. When i got done with Portal I was amazed at the quality of the game, (although being a side game) only to be even more impresses with Portal 2, it deserves game of the year and it'll get it! P.S.- It's a short game, so if you're looking to conserve money, rent it, beat it, and return it.
  82. Jul 18, 2011
    Playing this game was an excellent use of my time. The story was encapsulating, the puzzles were with lack of a better word, puzzling and the physics of the portals were mind boggling. Steven Merchant made an excellent cast member, he made the Wheatley character incredibly entertaining and funny. Best game of the year so far. Anybody who gives a bad review is either not a fan of puzzle games or is stuck at a certain puzzle and has gotten frustrated. Expand
  83. Jul 30, 2011
    The sequal to a award-winning puzzle game, Portal 2 has a lot of expectations. Thankfully, it lives up to those. The game looks sharp, and the early levels had my jaw open most of the time. All 3 main characters are voiced amazingly, and the dialouge is nothing short of hilarious. The gameplay is as sharp as ever, and the new puzzle obstacles are unique, and none of them feel tacked on. The twists and turns in the plot can become absolutely ridicoulous (In a good way). Don't listen to the idiots complaining about the length of the game. The main campaign takes anywhere from 6-8 hours, depending on how smart you are, and is still a blast the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th times through. That would have been enough in my book, but the game goes even further and gives you a second, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT campaign just for co-op. That can take about 4 hours, and supports local and online co-op. This is a great game and easily takes the crown for my favorite puzzle games, and one of my favorite games in general. Expand
  84. Aug 4, 2011
    If you don't wanna pay $60 for the game then rent it... Or just wait till the price drops. O look its under $30 now on glyde... Quit your gripping. Its obviously worth it if more than 90% of the users disagree with you.
  85. Aug 3, 2011
    A truely wonderful game. Quite unique in today's Market. This is not a game I would normally go for but the sheer lack of decent games out until the winter this year forced my hand.... And I'm so glad as it's one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.it's fun and it gets you thinking without being irritating. You feel like a genius when you finish some of the tests (when, in fact, you don't have to be!) . Ignore those who go on about value for money - it took me a week to finish the single player, playing about 2 hrs a night and I'm sure co-op offers even more. And I bought it for £25. The script is fun and considering there are only 3 characters in single player mode it really draws you in. If you fancy something a bit different, get this. Expand
  86. Aug 7, 2011
    Portal 2 is a very solid puzzle game which continues where Portal left off. I really enjoyed Portal in the Orange Box, it was a short but sweet experience and very humorous. Portal 2 continued this well for the most part with some great additions. You can get at least 15 hours gameplay from Portal 2 (including co-op). The positives:
    + Great example of humour in a video game, especially
    with the inclusion of Steven Merchant. P.S. I love the turrets, they are amazing. + Loved the co-op, had great fun playing this with my brother. + Steam integration was a fantastic addition and I hope all future Valve games also include this. + The puzzles are really well done, since they never feel to over whelming. The negatives:
    - The environments fit the theme of the game, but they can feel a little bland and tire on your towards the end of the game.
    - Portal 2 felt a little dragged out. It was great getting the extra puzzles but in terms of the story it felt unnecessarily stretched.
    - Lack of replay value (but at least there are trophies, which are a good incentive to play a second time and find the secrets)
  87. Sep 25, 2011
    A game with puzzles that are enjoyable by adults is a rare treat. The new coop mode is especially welcome, and lives up to my expectations. This is really misclassified as a "first person shooter", and belongs rather in a lonely "mature puzzlers" category.
  88. Dec 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is fantastic. Everything about it is PERFECT. It's an amazing follow up to Portal 1. The voice acting is some of the best you'll ever find these days, the plot is phenomenal, and the puzzles are well thought out and just the right difficulty. Hell, even the co-op, which I was skeptical of at first, was downright brilliant and provides a whole new experience and perspective on how to play the game. If you don't buy this game, you're doing yourself an injustice. Expand
  89. Aug 8, 2012
    If I was to sum up Portal 2 in one word it would be insane. The game fights against every other FPS's cheep selling of, "More explosions=more products sold" to deliver a game which runs by its own rules to produce pure puzzling perfection. It creates a tone of a machine driven underworld with you as a outcast human, simply sent to be tested on and eventually die, essentially how we treat robots/machines today. The three main characters in the game are excellent; chell is quiet, wheatley blabber mouths away and glados is stubborn, it overall creates a interesting experience where you bounce between glados and Wheatleys control throughout the story. The story by the way is awesome. The puzzles are smart, fun and are worth the effort. Its amazing. A must buy game. Expand
  90. Aug 18, 2012
    This game is epic !!! Create a new kind of game ,who expired many people to think diferent , that a game is much more than just press buttons !!!puzzles + innovative gameplay+comedy+awesome story=Portal2
  91. Mar 4, 2013
    The humour alone is reason enough to buy Portal 2. The gameplay is enjoyable and there are funny and likeable characters spread evenly throughout the game. The biggest issue is how short and easy the game is. I don't play a lot of puzzle games and I finished it in just under 6 hours. That's just too short and with little replayability since most of the game is figuring out the puzzles (which aren't very hard anyway) it was very underwhelming. Expand
  92. Nov 14, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed. All legends of the current-gen gaming world. If I said name a PS3 or Xbox game, i'm sure one of those three would be mentioned. Portal 2 is a work of art, a small piece that has had every ounce of effort pumped into it. The writing, the characters, the art, the design, the innovation, really blows you away. I've played this game around 8 times now and this is the first time i've decided to review it. You can't rate art, but simply be shocked that other people don't think of it as fondly as you do. Portal 2 is one of those things you should experience before you move to next-gen, because there won't be such a masterpiece for a long time. Expand
  93. Apr 30, 2011
    For me best game of the year up to now. Im not one of those people that give a 10 if they like a game and a 0 if they dont , that is why the user score is not that good , but im giving it a 10 because i think it deserves it. The writing was EXCELLENT being one of the most funny games i have ever played , the music was OMG if your in to that type and the puzzles where not to difficult but well enough made to make you use your brain , which is fine with me . The major complaints about this game is about its day 1 dlc and its length. First of all you should not rate a game by its dlc but what comes in the package. What if the best game in the world for you comes out and the next day dlc comes out for it ? Whould your opinion about the game change in any way ? The correct answer is NO so stop reading reviews from people that gave the game a 2 because it dint have some hats ( wtf ? ) in it for free . Now about the time that it takes you to complete this game i can understand people complaining especially if they rarely buy a game . Thow this game is not short by any means ( about 12-18 hours with coop ) for a game at this age , its probably not enough for some people . If a game has just got single player it should last 60 hours or if it has multiplayer it should last someone a whole year . For me i believe that that VALVe has chosen quality over quantity ( as i said thow its not that short as people keep saying ) so i dont think i should reduct points from it. Before i finish i want to say that this is the ps3 version so you also get steam on your console which gives you steam achievements cross platform coop with the pc and mac steam cloud which allows you to save your ps3 progress and continue on your pc . Oh dint i mention ? if you puy the game for the ps3 you also get a code to download it for free on steam . FOR FREE PEOPLE so its not a complete waste of money is it ? VALVe i Expand
  94. Jun 19, 2012
    Some say this game is way too short compared to the price. I would say it too 99% of the time, but not in this one. Quality over quantity.

To be honest, I've never been big fan of puzzle games. I usually miss something and I don't like being stuck in a single problem for more than few minutes. I would have given up in playing this game due to that, but the game still made me want to
    continue to play the game. Why? It was so brilliant. That's why.

The puzzles are interesting, clever and funny. While the enviroment isin't really interesting and I couldn't even hear the music except for the ending, the game just keeps being enough interesting to keep going.
    The game also keeps adding things, making the puzzles feel fresh during the entire singleplayer.

Every time a puzzle is made, you'll be rewarded with very well done monologue (And sometimes dialogue), which can make you laugh. While GLaDOS does feel a bit worse than before, the dialogue/monologue is still fantastic, proving that Valve does have quality writers (Once again!).

What about the lenght? It took 5 hours to complete the game, but the puzzles and the dialogue/monologue were absolutely worth it. The game is constantly fun to play and the co-op adds even more lenght for those, who still want to solve puzzles.

Even, if you're not fan of puzzle games, I recommend you to try this. I'm not fan of puzzle games either, yet the game was very entertaining.
  95. Dec 29, 2011
    i loved the first portal and that says alot mainly because im not big into puzzle solving games but i had alot of fun with it when i picked up the orange box years ago. when portal 2 came out i heard many people complain it was to short to justify its $60 price tag and after being burned by valve on left for dead i waited to pick it up new for $24.99. which after playing through it any thing under $30 for this game is just about right . it is to short to justify a $60 price tag and even though it has co-op which is kinda neat this game doesnt really need it thats not to say it was tacked on in any sense. its pretty solid its just that i didnt feel a huge disire to play it . what this game should have had and would have justified a $60 price tag at its release would have been creat your own maps and share them with people like Little big planet. now that would have been awsome and ive heard they are working on that but its not due out till mid 2012 aover a year since the game came out... too long of a wait for some thing like that i think. moving on to the single player... its great the script and humor is fantastic and even better then the first for sure . many new additions to how you can solve puzzles . they are just hard enough to where you will have to some times sit for a few minuites and think on the real hard ones but never frustrating to where you wana just give up i felt which is just perfect. the game took me about 6-7 hours to complete so yes it isnt very long . though if you enjoy puzzle games or liked the first Portal it is worth picking up and by now you can get it cheap. Expand
  96. Sep 6, 2011
    Portal 2
    Portal Still Alive stunned gamers in 2007 with its interesting puzzles and intriguing concept. Now Portal is back, but everything has changed. No longer is the protagonist (Chell) confined to the sterile white environments of the test chambers in the first game. Now Chell finds herself in a larger adventure with a new enemy. This said the question remainsâ
  97. May 11, 2011
    It's a good game but extremely over-rated by the mainstream media. I enjoyed it, it kept my interest, the graphics were solid, the story kept me driving towards the end in anticipation of what happens and the gameplay is good. The only problem is nothing about it is amazing or even 'really' good; certainly there are far better games out there. However, I enjoyed Portal 2 but it would never be my GOTY and I'll probably trade it in before its value drops. This game, I think, isn't worth 60 bucks. Wait for it to drop to $30-$40 max and you'll get your money's worth. It's a clever puzzle game with some challenge that isn't really too challenging at all. Nonetheless, I enjoyed being in Valve's Skinner box with the 'pellet' being one test closer to the game's conclusion.

7.7/10 IMO
  98. May 5, 2011
    Portal 2 is a pretty fun game but it is short. It took me along the lines of 5 hours without much difficulty. It would've been nice to see more puzzles. The first portal seemed much tougher and longer and it was pretty much an experiment by Valve. Portal 2 was supposed to be a full game and it was almost laughable and how easy it was. Other then that the story was enjoyable. Controls threw me off sometimes remembering which portals to throw at which point during the more complex later puzzles, but regardless they still weren't much of a challenge. All in all like I said Portal 2 is a fun game, however I would more so recommend renting this game as it's very short and could be completed in one sitting. Expand
  99. Jun 23, 2011
    Best Game Summer 2011! This is the game Portal again with a fleshed out Story, New Mechanics, and Incredible Online Functions. Without telling you every spoiler, if you read other reviews and feel concerned with this games length, here is the truth. The Single Player mode is 3x as long as Portal 1. Then add on the Co-Op, that's where all the meat is. This game is worth your buy (especially if you enjoy other Valve games)! Expand
  100. May 2, 2011
    I would rate this game an 8.4. It is a pretty game but lacks very much content to make it any higher of score. It can be rented, beaten, and returned in one 5 day period.
  101. Aug 7, 2011
    + Great example of humour in a video game, especially

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Portal 2 continues the original's model, both in terms of gameplay and humor, and reviewing it poses just as many challenges. So let's just get this out of the way right now: Portal 2 is videogame nirvana for the thinking man.
    Portal 2 is an instant classic, a driver of innovation and originality, where everything is far from settled by the law of the bullet, but within the limits of physics.
  3. That Valve has been able to imbue so much depth to what is, at its heart, a sophisticated puzzle game proves once again it's not the genre that counts. It's the talent. Combine it with a superb physics-based game mechanic and you've got an experience that defies easy categorisation and can be recommended without reservation. [June 2011 p.67]