6.6

1. Oct 28, 2014
    Very addicting, challenging, and fun game. I've spend 48 hours on this game already, and is still not even finished with this game. The game is a tactical rpg game that is pretty hard and fun depending on how you manage your resources. I've never had as much fun grinding in a video game since during my pokemon childhood days. New enemies are gradually introduced so the game doesn't nearly feel as repetitive, and it is very exciting when you learn new skills and get new weapons during the game. It basically is a $15 downloadable game, but I would clearly pay the full $60 retail price just because of it's addictivness and longevity. Never has grinding in a video game been more fun, amazing game; especially for it's price. Expand
  2. May 2, 2014
    for anyone looking for a GOOD turn based strategy (tactics) RPG as I was I recommend to stay away from Rainbow Moon. The main concern here that the game relies solely on stats for the challenge. For instance character must have 20 strength to kill this enemies and unless he does no amount of tactics will allow player to progress as options are limited/non existent. This game boils down to press X on enemies 9999999999999999999999999999999 times while grinding for stats through gear or levels. Unless you enjoy killing uninspiring enemies that do exactly the same thing with just different amount of damage based on stats stay away from this.
    If you would like a good turn based combat go back to any disgaea/ff tactics/ tactics ogre/vagrant story/xcom/growlancer/fantasy wars and so on.
  3. Oct 6, 2013
    Rainbow moon is a JRPG that missed for PS3. It has several extras and is a challenging game. In the begging it will take a bit more to level up but after 7 hours or so of play you will be ready to explore deeper and grid better.

History is a weak point, but you probably will play it because you like strategic RPGs. Music its a bit repetitive but was well done.

Battle is that will
    feed you to continue to play, even after beat the game. You will find more and more challenging battle, and gridding will not be a tiresome. Expand
  4. Jul 10, 2013
    The best game i have played since final fantasy 7 on PlayStation one no exaggeration this game is that good. 10/10 does not cut it its fantastic if you want a old school RPG instead of the instant battle rubbish were plagued with since the latest final fantasy with lightning and sara believe its 13 well this game delivers it takes the speed play out and replaces it with tactics the levelling system is awesome it encourages grinding and you have to eat drink and explore and well it you have 7.99 uk pounds spare i would urge you to buy this to support them more as rainbow moon skies is in the works and they really did a great job. The RPG elements of this game rival fallout and skyrim for thought Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2013
    I bought this from store, but i didn't really know anything about this game. It sounded interesting atleast for me. I was surprised how fun it was. Developers did great job introducing you to new things and leading you to next things until you have played whole day without even noticing it really.

I like strategic games so this game offered me difficult especially in hard mode. There
    are some hard levels to get past like final boss on hard. Sub-turns and skills makes big difference in combat. Only thing i had problem with was the moving in the battle map. Many times i moved accidentaly to wrong spot.

I am not a fan boy of RPG, but i enjoyed this game alot.

I would like to see more gear to wear tho, but its not that bad issue. Side quests are sometimes boring, but they give sometimes something you really need to get past places especially in hard. Buying those pearls and or gold is very VERY useful. You cant have enough of them.

This game is very satisfying to play and this is game for strategy game fans on hard difficulty. And it is enjoyable as an rpg too. Just buy it already you wont regret it. Its cheap.
  6. Oct 25, 2012
    I played the 90 minute demo, and that was all I needed. Of course, I'm sure it's a great RPG, but in my mind, RPGs are at the bottom of the barrel. They are the highest on my list of don't plays. The 90 minutes (actually only played 45) gave me what I needed to make the decision that I wouldn't buy the game. RPG-wise, it's ok, but if you don't like those, don't buy this game. Even if you do like RPGs, get the demo first. Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2012
    I don't remember when i last time enjoyed a game on PS3 that much like when playing Rainbow Moon.
    Fun and challenging battles on Hard were you have to use tactic, lots of places to explore, stats to upgrade, weapon customization, great music, cute and colorful graphic. Not mention 80h+ of fun gameplay made it worth the price.
    Some may say it lack of story, yes it don't have one because
    it don't need one. There are some short funny dialogs and it worked for me.
    My best buy on PSN and one of the most addictive games i played in a long time and i have 14y of gaming behind me.
  8. Aug 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a classic rpg to the t witha few modern improvements. Turn based battles with a leveling system that rewards players that push themselves, take on tougher (optional encounters) to level faster. Players learn skills through scrolls that they purchase and can augment equipment with items that drop from monsters. A mini map is available at any time with your main quest shown at most times. You have 2 read 2 understand this game, no spoken dialogue. I played it on normal and had a great time with mininal grinding, about every time I needed to grind there were monsters around guarding item sacks. For some reason people that had positive things 2 say about this game had negative scores. Idk if they did it on purpose or not... Anyway if you like classic style rpgs then you will love this game. Expand
  9. Aug 10, 2012
    In this day and age, no one wants to spend more time leveling up than they do progressing. This showed so much promise but I just can't play another repetitive battle to beat the next boss. Let alone 20 of them.
  10. Aug 3, 2012
    I'm really happy with this purchase, the game is a lot of fun, sure there's not much narrative to the story, but the gameplay will keep you coming back, the battles are insanely fun, getting new skills and leveling them up, upgrading your weapons, clearing the dungeons. I absolutely recommend this game to any rpg fan, plus it's only 15 bucks, the main quest alone is 40+ hours, plus the optional and endgame content can go up to 100+ hours and trophy support even with a platinum trophy, that's a lot of bang for your buck. You won't regret buying this game. Expand
  11. Jul 30, 2012
    Rainbow Moon es un RPG de estrategia donde las batallas se llevan a cabo en un área dividida en una cuadricula, al estilo de final fantasy tactics por ejemplo.

Los gráficos del juego son vividos, coloridos y muy agradables a la vista.

Tienes en frente toda una aventura por delante que te tomará más de 40 horas para terminarla y eso sin tomarte el tiempo de
    hacer todos los side quests que tiene. Además cabe destacar que tiene un trofeo por jugar por 100 horas y otro por tener uno de tus personajes en nivel 500 (puedes llevarlo hasta el lvl 999 si quieres).

De verdad que si eres un fan de los RPG o quieres un juego en el que perderte, no lo pienses más y cómpralo, es divertido y un estilo de juego que se extraña mucho en esta generación.
  12. Jul 25, 2012
    Awesome game. It takes you right back to the roots of gaming. The turn based battle system is unique and totally addictive. The game world looks stunning. Took me more than 60 hours to play through the main game and it feels like there is still so much left to do. Worth the price of a full retail disc game, yet only costs 15$. I can recommend this game to everyone!
  13. Jul 24, 2012
    Rainbow Moon is a fun turn based rpg slightly old-school retro game play with decent top down graphics. The story is average but fun and you can set so many difficulties hard with lots of supplie easy with no supplies or hard with nothing . the game starts off slowly then after a few hours with little extra tactics and elements adding to the basic stratedgy of the game and finally meeting your 2nd team mate . R moon is a fun game you can go at your own pace you are never forced forward and can replay battles as many times as you want while building grinding xp or heath upgrades. A Nice surprise for a store title easily worth the entrance fee. with a 40hour main campaign and 100hours plus if you want too complete all the side quests. Quaint ,fun,and as challenging as you want. Recomended. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2012
    Saw this game on IGN and thought I would try it. Do not buy this game before playing the demo. It is nowhere near as good as Final Fantasy Tactics so do not be fooled into buying it. It is a really good game but you will spend hours wasting your time leveling just to clear one area only to spend another hour to clear another. So unless you want to sink a lot of time into this game save your money and buy Final Fantasy Tactics. Expand
  15. Jul 19, 2012
    A videogame RPG in the most classic sense of the word. I use the word "videogame RPG" instead of RPG because the gameplay mechanics are lifted straight out of your favorite NES RPGs. That's a great thing if you love to grind and do meaningless fetch quests. There is some fun character building and progression, but it feels like the developers read an "RPG 101" book from the 1980s. Some people will like this, some won't. I personally did not find hundreds of hours grinding, doing the same repetitive thing, over and over, to be fun.

There is not one moment in this game that is surprising. It's very safe, and the ultimate example of formulaic.
  16. Jul 17, 2012
    Rainbow Moon is a wonderfully crafted game that could carry a much higher price tag then $15. My gaming resume includes games such as Call of Duty, Resident Evil, NHL 09-12, Command and Conquer, World of Warcraft, Eve, Civilization, Oblivion, Rage, Assassin's Creed, GTA, Midnight Club and Dead Nation (which is also a must buy) I'm about 4 hours into Rainbow Moon and I am thoroughly impressed. The story line is developing nicely and the tutorials are informative and to the point. They don't dominate the beginning of the game, and are available in your inventory for later viewing if needed. The battles progress well in difficulty and random encounters are nice for leveling. If you join a battle accidently or realize there is no chance of victory, the escape option is always available with no penalty. There is an element of exploring, and talking to everyone is helpful. Talking to NPC's won't be a waste of your time. A knock of the game by reviewer Wrex is the lack of an "autosave" feature. The game allows you to save at any time, so why do you need autosave? Another knock is that only members of your party that deal the killing blow will get "pearls" which allow attribute leveling (all characters get xp) This is obviously to keep the game from becoming unbalanced. Another knock Wrex brings up is that the music volume is too loud. Really? I think there may actually be a way to lower it, but I haven't checked because the music seems fine to me. A small annoyance is the inability to drop items while in the process of opening bags gained after fights (large bags and chests can be re-opened) This results in not being able to pick up what Expand
  17. Jul 14, 2012
    I'm still a little up in the air about this game, seeing as I'm not super-far in it yet. However, there are a few things that I wanted to talk about. First off, it's not really a strategy game. It's more of your typical turn-based RPG. Though you do move around a tiled arena, not much actual strategy comes into play, besides just positional tactics. The rest is pretty standard RPG stuff, like when to use which skills and when to block; that sort of stuff. I began on hard/adventurous and I ended up restarting the game on normal, because the grind is a horrendous. The way it works is that you'll encounter a new monster in which you cannot sustain several consecutive battles with, forcing you to go back to the weaker monsters until you are strong enough. This process repeated itself several times, until I decided to restart.

Another thing is the other characters. It's a frustrating double-edged sword. On one hand, it's nice to have the extra damage, but on the other hand only characters that land the finishing blow get rainbow pearls (sort of a currency for buying stats when you level). I can't describe what a horrible mechanic this is. It really cripples the strategy element, because I'm constantly having to worry about which characters land the killing blow so that they can get stat points. It doesn't really add any depth, because most of the time it just contradicts whatever established strategy you may have. Kind of like in Oblivion, where you had to carefully plan what skills you were leveing in order to get decent stats bonuses each level. It's poor design, frustrating and not fun. I'm forced to use characters in situations that I don't want because I need them to finish enemies off. Likewise, in Oblivion, I had to use skills that I didn't want to in order to stay ahead of the curve. Ugh.

Lastly, I don't really like the way they handled the darkness and food systems. Darkness (like when you're in a cave or when it's dark out) requires that you have torches lit. You can find them or buy them almost anywhere, they don't have terribly long lifespans, and they take up room in your inventory. I don't feel that it was implemented well because it's annoying when you don't have them, but they're not all that hard to acquire; it doesn't really add to the immersion. It's just something else to keep track of, and it doesn't affect any other aspects of the game so far. Food is kind of the same situation; it's not hard to get, but you still need to carry it for when your characters get hungry. Again, it just doesn't really add anything to the game, and it just feels like it was thrown in for the hell of it.

A few positives are the music and the colorful visuals. Those kind of things really vary from person to person, though. One thing the game does that I really, really like are the random battles. The way it works is that when you are walking around, you'll get prompted with a battle. It tells you how many of what monsters, and you can choose to engage. I've grown a little tired of randomized battles over the years, and this totally fixes my qualms with them. It's simple, but genius in my opinion. My only issue is that sometimes the prompt doesn't last very long (like less than a second), so I've missed a few battles that way. But it's fine most of the time. Not all of the combat is randomized, though. There are several persistent enemies on the map in which you have to bump into to initiate combat. Much of the time those mobs block paths, so it's mandatory.

I also wanted to mention the questing system, not necessarily as a negative or a positive. It has the whole yellow exclamation point thing (which MMOs have made me hate) for the main quest, but all of the side quests are tucked within the dialogue of the NPCs. They don't tell you exactly where or how to complete them (i.e. it doesn't put a marker on your map). However, they're pretty simple at this point (like get this rare drop from this monster). Overall, I think it's a nice mix of giving the player direction, but leaving some to be discovered.

There's a crafting system of sorts. Weapons and armor have slots in which you can place in certain drops from monsters that give you extra stats. I'm not sure how deep the system gets, but it's pretty simplistic, early on anyway.

I'm taking a little break from it for now. I may go back to it, but it feels I'd just be forcing myself to at this point.
  18. Jul 14, 2012
    This is a [successful] mix of genres in one solid RPG and it surprises me that Rainbow Moon is a downloadable title, instead of a retail release. There are tons of stuff to do, from grinding, to exploring, to looting, questing and so on. The graphics are charming, the music is catchy and the gameplay is quite fun (strategic battles just like Final Fantasy Tactics, but simpler). It's worth every cent and will keep you hooked for hours. I totally recommend this game to any gamer slightly interested in the genre. Expand
  19. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buyers Remorse
    I purchased this game after hearing "It's a throwback to Final Fantasy Tactics!" Far from it. If you want your FFT fix try out Disgaea or try the demo out and decide for yourself.
  20. Jul 11, 2012
    First of all, Rainbow Moon's target audience are clearly older gamers with the patience and appreciation for a throwback, grind-based RPG. If you loved games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy Tactics growing up, this is a must buy in my opinion. The graphics are pretty but outdated. Don't expect fancy cinematics. Voice acting is sparse. There's basically no narrative to care about following. The grammar for in-game dialogue is often downright silly but understandable given it was German originally. And while some might overlook a game for these reasons, Rainbow Moon is terrific because of its addictive and incredibly well-balanced gameplay. If you're someone who appreciates the SRPG genre in general, don't miss this one! It's an absolute steal at $15. Expand
  21. Jul 11, 2012
    This game has really struck a chord with me. I set the game to hard and kicked off with as little supplies as possible. I wanted to grind my way to glory! I certainly have not been disappointed. The developers have done a great job at guiding the player into the experience they have crafted without overwhelming hand holding. I love a game that makes me feel like i'm discovering something. As an example, I attempted my first battle without a sword. I quickly realized that I was ill-prepared. A short jaunt down the trail, some dialog with the locals, and I found myself prepared for basic battle. The game provided me tutorials on what I discovered. The game did not tell me when, where, and what I needed to do the whole way. It was a fine blend of discovery and tutorial.

The strategic battle is my favorite part of the game so far. The move scheme, sub-turns, skills, and the unconditional escape make the battles very satisfying and scales very nicely. As you character evolves you are able to strategically handle more and more enemies. In recent years I've become more of an action-RPG fan. But, this game has captivated me. The combat is very satisfying.

Standard functions like healers and stores are available for staying healthy and buying new junk. The side quests provide that additional challenge to pick up some additional experience, pearls, gold, and equipment. I did find the idea of a "savant" who is used to upgrade attributes in exchange for pearls to be a new one for me. I like the idea. But, it does provide for a bit of a sigh when i have to travel back to a town to find one. The nice part about it though is that you don't have to wait to "level up" in order to update your attributes or spend your attribute points when you level up. You can hoard pearls and wait around to see how your character needs to develop in response to the baddies that are blocking your path to fame and fortune. The storyline is pretty standard so far. But, I have not had a chance to fully experience it. However, I am not entirely focused on the the story since the battles and building up my character are my focus right now. I have yet to experience utilizing material slots, equipment comparison, picking up additional members of my group of my character.

My only criticism is that due to the orientation of the screen during battle it is often easy to move in the wrong direction.
  22. Jul 11, 2012
    A fantastic throwback to retro-gaming with great graphics, addicting gameplay and an unbeatable price. You will spend anywhere between 40-100 hours with the game, depending on how many side quests you choose and it will cost you only 15$. If you miss the days of Final fantasy Tactics and even Chrono Trigger, Rainbow Moon is a nostalgia trip worth taking.
  23. Sep 18, 2012
    Some may say it lack of story, yes it don't have one because
    it don't need one. There are some short funny dialogs and it worked for me.

1. Oct 27, 2012
    Rainbow Moon has simple gameplay, and a charming and colorful look. Both the look and soundtrack is very retro, and seems to be a tribute to old classics. Is you're a fan of strategic RPGs, you'll find a lot to love here. I, on the other hand, found it more of a chore.
  2. Oct 1, 2012
    Rainbow Moon is a game that I couldn't help but come away from with pleasant feelings. It's not revolutionary, but it's well-executed and knows exactly what it wants to be. There is a certain type of player out there who is going to absolutely love this game, and get hours upon hours of enjoyment out of it. The only question you have to ask yourself is if you are that kind of player. If not, at least try it out for the sweet music!
  3. Sep 24, 2012
    Despite its flaws, Rainbow Moon has a lot going for it. With an amazing levelling/combat system and solid visuals and story, there are many worse games in this genre. It is also worth mentioning the value for money here. If Rainbow Moon hooks you, it's around 200 hours of game play for the 100% and all for only £9.99 (£7.99 for Playstation Plus members). However its lack of balance and time required for completion is sure to put off some players who will not find what they are looking for on this expedition.