8.6

1. Nov 11, 2013
    Does the gameplay live up to the impressive graphics? Yes, to some extent. The graphics are often wacky and wildly imaginative, but refined in a very mature and amazing way. The gameplay is more conservative underneath the presentation, with some 'new' elements copied from less famous games (Trine, Dynamite Jack/Monaco, Jumpman). I didn't see as much as one new gameplay mechanic, despiteDoes the gameplay live up to the impressive graphics? Yes, to some extent. The graphics are often wacky and wildly imaginative, but refined in a very mature and amazing way. The gameplay is more conservative underneath the presentation, with some 'new' elements copied from less famous games (Trine, Dynamite Jack/Monaco, Jumpman). I didn't see as much as one new gameplay mechanic, despite the critics' praises of the game's originality. Just a bunch of different genres and ideas thrown into a pot and polished till veeery shiny. The best thing I can say about the game is that it's very compressed in fun-factor... there's always something intense going on, and it has hours upon hours of platforming ready to throw at you. I haven't played such a diverse and colorful platformer for years. The intensity also means, however, that there is little background story, almost no cutscenes, none of the classic 'glue of story telling'. It's just a bunch of levels sequenced in a way so that it sort of makes sense. I felt like the story was just an excuse for the lack of logic... "It's dreams! It doesn't have to make sense!"... and I guess that the emphasis on pure fun gameplay is a good excuse. Why not a higher score? Because of the lack of story and emotional appeal. Also because I could recognize all the 'new' ideas from other games. Oh, and the difficulty in some levels is the wrong kind of challenging... trial-and-error rather than a test of intelligence. I like the game A LOT and recommend it. But I need to score it more moderately than all the pro critics. This is not the best game of the generation. And I heavily suspect that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is miles more creative than this game, although I never played that one. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    Why this version of PS3 or X360 has the same score of the WiiU version? The WiiU version is obviously better. The 360 and PS3 versions have not the touch-screen features in some of the levels.
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    One of the best platformers ever! This game made me fall in love with the genre all over again. Its creativity and simple controls make it a joy to play!
  4. Oct 12, 2013
    Not good not great, a nice little puzzle platformer the whole family can enjoy with great art and music, if sometimes repetitive, definitley pick this one up if you're looking for a break away from the usual

1. Oct 16, 2013
    An essence of pure, unpretentious fun, a work of geniuses with untamed creative powers. I simply can’t imagine a human being that will not enjoy this wonderful, beautiful game. [CD-Action 11/2013, p.66]
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    One of the best platformers we've played in a hell of a long time with a mix of traditional design and clever reinvention. [Nov 2013, p.76]
  3. Make no mistake, the difficulty has been ramped up considerably. Something we, as grown up gamers, can truly appreciate. Even the first worlds aren't all that easy, since the levels vary greatly in difficulty. Don't expect a new Demon's Souls, but be prepared to make that same jump a dozen times. [September p.80]