8.7

1. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is incredible. Interaction with the old west has never been better. Great graphics, realistic areas, unique gameplay, and just the right difficulty. This is the best western game ever created.
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    Red Dead Redemption is a game that gets everything right: The script, the acting, the atmosphere, the game mechanics and most importantly the emotional connection. There have been few games that have moved me quite like RDR. It's ending is a masterstroke of subtlety, which is something you rarely see from gaming. If you play the game as it was intended (like a hero and not a GTAIV thug), it has a contemplative, lilting tone that stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Red Dead Redemption is a true adult gaming classic; mature, well written and with a huge heart. Basically speaking, it's one of the best games that I've ever played. Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    This game makes the Wild West become a reality. A classic masterpiece.
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    rockstar takes the GTA formula and adds it to a western game and i feel they have improved it. i wasnt to impressed with GTA4 but this game did . it deffinitly captures that western feel with some nice graphics , solid voice acting , a ok story that can be intresting some times and dull other times. its a fun sand box game and im glad to see they fixed the whole police chasing stuff down to where they all arnt crazy maniacs chasing you down relentlessly non stop like in the GTA games . the game took me about 30 hours to finish and there is alot of bonus stuff you can do . there is a pretty solid selection of wepons you can use . the cover system is decent and i found the aiming abit of a chore and took me awhile to get use to it. the game is also alittle buggy and glitchy i didnt find any of it really game breaking . i had 1 freeze up and a few other things happen. all in all RDR was a real fun game i havent tried the online yet and want to down load the undead nightmare DLC but PSN is down but i have heard it alot of fun so looking foward to it. Expand
  5. Apr 2, 2012
    Recently, I'm playing the PS3 version for one of the best games from these generations and what I can say it's that, I didn't find any problem at all in the single-player (glitches , technical problems , or playability difficulties ) . In simple words, Red Dead Redemption is another master piece brought to you by the folks from Rockstar , without a doubt is a definitive tittle to your library.
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    There have been tried and failed attempts to modernise the Western setting for video games, Hollywood had quite the hype with its over abundance of Spaghetti Westerns, yet they never truly left their mark on the gaming world. But when Rockstar announced that they would be creating a "spiritual sequel" to Red Dead Revolver, the air became ripe with anticipation at the thought of the developers of the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series. Many began to assume that the game would be "Grand Theft Horses" yet while many of the gameplay elements of GTA come across to this Western genre, the statement couldn't be further from the truth.
    In true Western style, Red Dead Redemption captures all the glory, guts and gallantry that we have come to know from countless films and pop culture. Combining a fascinating yet heartbreaking story centred around the outlaw turned neutral cowboy John Marston, a man who wants to right his past wrongs and settle down with his family...easier said than done.
    As we are introduced to our protagonist, we also get a glimpse of the massive, sprawling and beautiful frontier we will soon get to explore at will. Every mechanic is polished to the point of near-perfection, whether you want to go out capture bounties or simply kill them, you can target various body parts or even shoot their hats off, the attention to detail is really quite mesmerising, from the vibrant wildlife to the inhabitants of the various towns, watching drunken men stagger home or watching women being chased and choosing whether to intervene or not. Much of this decision making takes place throughout the game, you could be the most villainous man to walk the prairie or be a legend and hero in the west, whatever you please and however you see fit.
    With this comes the very realistic gameplay approach that Rockstar have become accustomed to, horses move and gallop in a very realistic motion, they have stamina like the rest of us, the gunfights and shooting mechanics have come a long away since GTA IV, combining fluid and fast-paced style with enjoyable and simplistic ease. This works brilliantly with expansive world that Rockstar have created, with vast expanses of detailed deserts or snowy mountaintops filled with all sorts of wildlife that can be killed and skinned for money, or which contribute to contribute to upgrading the wardrobe of Marston. The open world and freedom comes into play in force as you can play a shoot em' up style by killing everything in site, or save damsels and men being chased by wild dogs, why not help the local sheriff clear out s gang hideout or be in it for yourself and max out your character until you see fit.
    In terms of the story, it can feel a little forced and sometimes lacking in surprise, with many objectives consisting of learning the ropes if surviving the Wild West, sometime when a mission seems over, it keeps going, and many of the decisions John Marston makes can directly oppose the personality they he has been moulded in. But this does indeed take a drastic turn in the closing moments of the story, a triumph amongst video game endings that sits among the best finales ever seen.
    The game delivers a homage and callback to pretty much everything we have come to know about the Old West, the taverns, the horseback, the beautiful horizon, the duels in the muddy street with a brave onlooker, and the beauty of the place may just sit with you, in awe and amazement and general satisfaction for another success for Rockstar.
    Whether you are veteran in the GTA universe or a fan of the Westerns of yesteryear, Red Dead Redemption brings everything to the table, giving the player ultimate freedom and endless capabilities to roam the massive frontier, it's safe to say that this could well be a masterpiece, and from a personal level a true triumph in gaming and quite possibly among the greatest.
  7. Oct 2, 2010
    I think I hyped myself too much for this game add to that the fact that I do not enjoy western settings and you can understand my rating for this game. Overall it's a fine experience, the story is engaging and the game is fluid. I was a bit disappointed in the graphics department but it wasn't a big deal.
  8. Aug 21, 2014
    After years of hearing no end of high praise for this title I finally got around to putting some time in. Whatever those people who rated it 10/10, 100/100 are smoking, I want some. Red Dead is far more removed than just being GTA with horses, it is that, and suffers because of it, because what makes a great GTA game great does not translate into the old west. I found myself constantly unimpressed, bored and disappointed with almost everything the game was throwing at me. Missions and quests were dull; follow the red line, shoot the man, come back, others were mind-numbingly tedious; herding cattle, breaking steers. Overrated bollocks. Expand
  9. Dec 11, 2013
    I liked the first hours. Let me begin by saying that I'm not a sandbox guy. I don't really like just doing stuff in the world, I never know what to do. I need missions and storyline. So based on that, I liked the first hours. But after a while I got bored, and by the ending I was just playing because I wanted to complete is, didn't pay off. GTA IV payed off at the end of the story, this one this not. Except for that, I had about the same experience, and GTA IV was never really a drag. Expand
  10. Jan 22, 2013
    First of all Rockstar finally made a better game than Grand Theft Auto since i was addicted GTA. But this really standed out in the Hall of Fame. The best Rockstar game since Grand Theft Auto IV.
  11. May 10, 2014
    If GTA had only a few types of (slow) vehicles and one radio station, it would still feel more content-rich than RDR. That's the point of sparse westerns I guess, but I like sandboxes because they feel unpredictable and expanding as you unlock new content. Another thing is, RDR didn't give me that 'aha' feeling of seeing the world from a different perspective. More like seeing a different world with THE SAME (GTA) perspective. They also satisfy the psychological 'wrongedness' that many non-privileged people feel. In GTA the (virtual) material world is finally within one's grasp, and in that way it temporarily satisfies an irrational hunger for material wealth and the inferiority felt from not attaining it in real life. It can also serve as a reminder that material gain is ultimately an empty and meaningless thing, while real happiness is all about the journey to get there. Not saying that such desire should be cultivated. I think it's important to sort of 'starve' the ego and remind ourselves that the world never promised to be fair, and that we don't need much anyway. But for those who have not kept their ego in check, GTA is an unparalleled playground, and RDR lacks a similar effect since it's not a mirror of the world that wronged us. RDR reuses the same action gameplay for a dozen hours, and there are no motorcycles or planes to broaden the scope. Online shootouts work well in the open sprawling landscapes, but as of spring 2014, online is marred by glitches that Rockstars have been fixing for months. I wonder if they'll ever get around to it.

As an introduction to Rockstar Games, or to third-person action, there's a lot of exciting content in this game. But for the seasoned gamer who has played several GTAs, the repetition of the mission style becomes very apparent. I had hoped for a few innovating missions, where the setting was used to do something that would have been impossible in GTA. But the game never really shows creativity in that area, filling instead most hours with riding through terrain (GTA driving minus the traffic!) and 'shooting gallery' action (on or off the horse) which almost plays itself thanks to the automatic targeting system (like in GTA V). The characters are memorable, a few of them among my favorite Rockstar characters ever. The game world is a marvel at times, even if you've played later open world games such as Skyrim or Assassin's Creed IV. But it also doesn't give much of a reason to explore it. No stunt jumps. No meaningful looting. No silly collectibles (except the skins of wild animals). It's completely straight-faced most of the time, and you know exactly what to expect of cabins, woods, towns etc. No surprises.

In retrospect, the game went all-in on impressive assets and characters. That focus made it impressive next to its contemporaries. However, especially the former quality will always get competition when technology improves. Good gameplay can be timeless. Red Dead Redemption plays like it could have been simply thought out in the last century, and it barely shows hints of innovations in its genre. So it feels stuck there.

If you've never played a Rockstar game before, you might add two points to the score. If you're crazy about westerns, you can safely add at least one point. But I'd recommend GTA V or GTA Vice City instead, or Skyrim or Assassin's Creed IV for similarly exotic game worlds.
  12. Jan 17, 2013
    I've said it before in my reviews and will say it again, a small lively open world is better than a massive empty one. Red Dead has a ok story with one fudging too big world. Its gameplay though is solid as a brick wall. I just wish, as with many games I have, it wasn't given as much praise. Why? I expected too much.
  13. Mar 7, 2014
    Open world western at it's best. RDR captures the feeling of living as a cowboy perfectly, from herding cows, to shooting bandits, riding horses, playing cards in saloons. These mini-games are especially nice touch as you can spend hours and hours having fun playing dice, poker, blackjack... From the single-player standpoint it's almost perfect, good story, characters, immersive environment full of varied natural life, lots of different animal species, some missions might be a bit repetitive in a style of go there, shoot everyone, get back, but it keeps your attention and entertainment quite high all the way through and I loved the ending. My main complaint is a completely broken and annoying multiplayer, but as long as you keep it SP, it's an amazing western experience. 9/10 Expand
  14. May 28, 2011
    Ive never been a fan of the wild-west in any spectrum what-so-ever but at a knockdown price I purchased RDR after the rave reviews it had received. Rockstar have done wonders with this game. GTA4 wasn't as bad as everyone makes it but a big problem I felt was the reptitive nature within the game and this was one thing that Rockstar seems to have addressed. The missions give you a big variety which is always helpful. Then there are the side-stories which once again offers you something totally different from the main storyline combine that with the alternatives of skinning wild animals, playing poker, bounty hunting, duels RDR can't be accused of lacking in terms of gameplay. As John Marston you are torn away from your family and told to find and kill one of his old friends Bill Williamson, initially the game is slow and lets you get used to everything but once you get going, if you stick with it, RDR is very engrossing. Visually it depcits the Wild West superbly. Its not jaw-dropping as such but its still impressive the detail and natural feeling that Rockstat managed to bring to the table. Multiplayer gives you the usual free-for-all with up to 16 players and theres team matches but the best part comes with the Zombie Undead DLC a genius idea that you can never go wrong with it is awesome! All in all RDR is a great game, nobody can dispute that but its a game thats a hit or a miss. Some people will love it and some will hit hate. If you stick with it it is a rewarding experience but at times it can be boring and the game is let down by quite a weak ending. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    An amazing setting, Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games that I have played. Fantastic graphics, awesome gameplay and realistic sound effects. This game has everything and with over 30 hours of game time, this is a game which is well worth your money. Thought towards the end, riding on a horse was becoming slightly tiresome but that was only because of the huge sandbox map.
  16. ERB
    Nov 30, 2013
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the games in the PS3 console we will always remember.The game looks so real and the graphics in this game is beautiful.The world in this game huge and it is fun adventuring the whole world of red dead redemption.The horses in this game looks awesome and I love riding the horses in this game.It is fun!You can also go to bars and drink beer.After you drink so many beers your character will go drunk which is funny.The guns in this game is also cool and my favorite gun is the Mauser Pistol"The Mauser Pistol is a gun from Germany".There are just not one country here but there are two in this game.You can adventure America And Mexico.I'll give the graphics in this game a score of 3/3 and the world of Red Dead Redemption a score of 2/2.

The game play in this game is fun.There is this new bullet time"Like Max Payne"which is called the Dead Eye.The dead eye allows you to not get any damage while Dead Eye is active.The Dead Eye also allows you to put an x marks on the enemy and when you shot with your gun the bullets are fired on where you put x marks on the enemy.The Dead Eye is so cool.It is fun playing in an open world game especially when you are in the Wild West.The game play is fun and I love It!The game play gets a score of 2/2.

The most important thing in this game is the story.The story of John Marston begins when the law captured John's family and the law told him to kill the criminals whom they are John's formal gang mates and friends.The friends he had before are notorious criminals.Now John is forced to pick up his guns and kill who the law are asking him to kill.The story of Red Dead Redemption is interesting and the ending in this game is so touching that it really made me cry in a good way.I love this game Red Dead Redemption is a legendary game for the PS3.Thank you Rockstar for making this game.This game is incredible.We all love this game.I'm giving the story of this game a score of 3/3.Combine all the scores for this game and It gets a 10/10!This game is legendary and I recommend you people to buy this game now and try playing it.I promise you people you will love this game.Rockstar please make a sequel for Red Dead Redemption.I love this game.I love Red Dead Redemption.
  17. Dec 16, 2011
    Take Grand Theft Auto, transport the concept to the old west, swap the cars for horses, the handguns for pistols and safe houses to saloons and you find yourself immersed in Red Dead Redemption. Despite the sarcastic tone of my opening line I say immersed because it is grand and vast although this can be a bad thing with huge ground having to be covered by horseback at times.

Overall
    though Rockstar have to be commended for what is an excellent but flawed game with a good, if predictable, storyline and some good character development. Kudos for the unusual ending (although maybe not so unusual in the old West) which came as a surprise and I cannot say that has happened too often in my gaming life. Roll on the inevitable RDR2, not the Undead pack, but a real sequel. Expand
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    If you want open world game with great western adventures, cool multiplayer, great graphics and .e.t.c. Then you should get this amazing game without no doubt!
  19. May 9, 2013
    This is the best game that i have ever played! Period! Red Dead Redemption nails absolutely everything! Everything about this game is absolutely epic: from the amazing story, the awesome characters, the spectacular graphics and atmosphere, all the way to an outstanding multiplayer and co-op modes! Red Dead Redemption will most likely continue to be the best game i've ever played all the way up until the next Red Dead game! Expand
  20. Jan 21, 2011
    Rockstar may be well known for their Grand Theft Auto series, but Red Dead Redemption is the game to remember the company by. The game feels much more complete, engaging, open, and fun than GTAIV. Everything you do in the single player is a ton of fun. From the tasks such as hunting and games, to saving civilians and doing other side objectives. not only that, but the multiplayer is outstanding, with fantastic DLC and an awesome open world setting. I can go on for hours about why this game is awesome, but do I really need to? You absolutely must go out and buy this game! Expand
  21. Oct 8, 2011
    i am going to be honest and say that this game just wasnt really very interesting for me it is a great game in many ways it just couldnt hold my attention maybe because it was a wetern style game i dont know but one thing i can say turned me right off of this game was the controling of the horse it just would not do what i wanted it to do most of the time and i ended up getting frustrated with that but it isnt enough to turn some one off of the game enterly. the game looks beutiful with a couple of screen tears every once and a while but other than that the graphics are amazing. if you like western type games then this is defenatly for you but otherwise stay clear Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2013
    Un gran juego, no mucho de mi gusto pero no esta mal, aun asi, lo recomiendo, pero me da pena que se centre mas en el online que en el modo historia, aun asi me gusto bastante el juego y estando a 40€ pues...si podeis pillaroslo, hacedlo ^^ no os arrepintireis, esta muy bien el juego de verdad, destacaria mucho que es un sandbox muy grande, pero aun asi, no se si merece la pena para los no muy amantes del juego y mas encima viniendo con el de zombis ^^ Expand
  23. Jul 6, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption is basically GTA4, but set in the Wild West and you can be a good guy or bad guy. I was never a fan of cowboy movies but the story was epic. I will not tell you anything about the story, but that it was epic. I still can't believe what happened. I don't care if this sounds nerdy but John Marston is one of my video game role models. Now on with the gameplay. Just think "GTA Wild West Town". Your character feels flexible and you have great gameplay mechanics. The world was so huge I actually got lost (and mauled by a bear). Online is epic (again I can't tell you, you have to experience it). Now a question that always hangs, GTA4 or this? If you want to be a good guy, go for RDR. If you want a modern setting, go for GTA4. Simple as that. But just remember that you get your money's worth in this game. Epic story, epic gameplay, epic online. Get this game. Expand
  24. May 18, 2012
    this game was a masterpiece. from beginning to end, I loved every second of it. I loved that you actually had to hunt, the characters, the story line, side missions, everything basically. I feel this game is a must buy, because it is so diverse and entertaining. I want RDR 2!
  25. Oct 18, 2010
    This is not just GTA with horses. Red Dead Redemption isn't a good game, its a great game. Definitely feels like something worthy of game of the year, and is definitely Rockstar's best title ever. An open world western setting with tons of innovation and new ideas with great voice acting to go with great story telling. Graphically wise everything looks very good also and with tons of extra side content in the game this is one that could hold you over for a while. Expand
  26. Nov 29, 2012
    The ending of this game was so epic, i almost cried (seriously), i finished it more or less at 00:00 and i couldn't sleep thinking on John Marston. This game is what i call masterpiece. the environment, the interactivity, the hunting and every aspect on this game were epic. I didn't expected less from RockStar since they gave us GTA that game that every played one played for his cheats and a lot of hours of fun. The story of this game was excellent, one of the best i have ever saw in video games. One of the best games on ps3 and a perfect multiplayer. Just "EPIC" and congratulations RockStar! Expand
  27. Dec 6, 2012
    I don't give it a 10 just because it's not perfect and I would never grade it above MGS but it sure is one of the best games out there, sometimes it does seems boring but it's the Old West what did you expect there weren't many things to do at the time!! but all the mini games and all the missions are so cool, every hour spend on this game it was fun. How about killing a wild beast pealing their skin and sell it at the store!!! how cool is that!! This is A MUST on your PS3 games collection. Expand
  28. Feb 24, 2012
    What a GREAT game! , i dont know why some people hate it, its an AMAZING game, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  29. Jan 19, 2011
    Red Dead Redemption is a solid Wild West Themed Sandbox game. The games structure is very similar to Rockstars other Sandbox game series, the Grand Theft Auto series in which RDR places John Marston (the person you play as) into a huge Wild West Sandbox environment and complete missions, earn cash and shoot your foes. The landscape and views look authentic and has a certain naturalness feel to it with loads of plants and live animals. The story is good, deep, fascinating and provides a good, meaty single player experience. The game (for the most part) plays like a first person shooter. Many missions see you fighting against the bad guys in engaging fire fights and RDR has a neat cover system along with a great slow-mo precision targeting system feature known as Dead-Eye which allows you to slow down time and target multiple targets then unleash hell on them with fire power. The gunplay and the game play itself is polished and uncomplicated to play due to clear instructions on where to go and an auto targeting system which allows you to quickly dispatch a group of outlaws. There are some decent variety in the missions that you'll undertake like escorting someone to safety by defending them against outlaws, tame horses, herd cattle from one place to another and more. There is a hint of RPG style game play in this game. I like the fact that you can earn money by scavenging for materials from plants or organs from dead animals and sell them to someone. The single player campaign is defiantly action heavy and bloody. The weapons at your disposal are plentiful and fun to use with bolt action rifles, pistols and a really cool lasso which can be used to take down criminals or targets without killing them. The most ideal mode of transport across the vast environment is the horse. Horse controls maybe a little bit fiddly at first but you'll get use to them. However, galloping sections where you are just riding with a NPC and discussing about various topics can get repetitious at times and I hate the fact that you have to hold down the X button to keep galloping at a consistent speed or else you'll slow down. What I like about this game is how Rockstar San Diego has captured the perception of the Wild West beautifully with the landscape, music, building design, sound design, and the character models and how they move and talk. Speaking of the sound design, the characters in this game are well voiced and the gun noises sound wonderful. What is always a strong point in Rockstar's sandbox games such as their Grand Theft Auto games is that there is an abundance of stuff to do. This game is no exception. There's loads to do even after completing the expansive single player campaign such as side jobs like being a Night Watchmen or helping civilians, scavenge for plant material and play mini games such as Horseshoes and Poker which are fun if a little annoying (especially Horse Shoes, can't say the same thing about Poker: I don't know how to play it!). The physics look convincing and realistic like falling off a cliff or dragging someone behind you (attached to the lasso) and watching them tumble and twirl while you gallop along with your horse. The game does get a little bit slow at the end and I don't like hunting helpless, innocent animals and skinning them but I guess it's just a game. When you skin animals, blood splatters across the screen which is an unnecessarily effect considering the perspective that you play the game. It would be acceptable in a first person shooter where you look through the eyes of your character but not in a third person shooter. RDR is accessible to anyone due to a generous checkpoint system and clear instructions on what to do but in turn it does make the game a little too easy. As a whole, RDR is a great Third Person Shooter with RPG elements that do not overcomplicate things. This Wild West game deserves to be in any action gamer's collection. Expand
  30. Feb 24, 2012
    Let me just say this: Red Dead Redemption is an AMAZING game! , i dont know why some people hate it, i honestly think its one of the best games this gen, I recommend everyone to buy it especially if you like open world/action games
  31. Sep 28, 2013
    Mi segunda compañía favorita de videojuegos es Rockstar, y con una sólida razón: sus juegos son impresionantes y hechos con suma importancia para que el público haga buen uso de ellos y gusten, y entre esos juegos se encuentra "Red Dead Redemption", un juego totalmente impresionante que, como todos sabemos es otra joya en el gran nido de Rockstar. Es un juego totalmente completo y digno de ser comprado y experimentar el lejano oeste como nunca antes lo has hecho. Expand
  32. Oct 14, 2012
    The best game i've ever played. The best story ever told in a video game, the environment of the wild west portrayed to perfection, an open world experience like no other and John Marston is one of the best characters ever made in a video game. The multiplayer is good but the controls could be better in my opinion, but who cares! The rest is absolutely perfect. 100%.
  33. Apr 28, 2011
    Completed this game just today. A magnificent game that improves over GTA 4 in every possible way. The graphics look more detailed, the gameplay is better and there are far more weapons to be messing about with. My only complaint is that the ending was rushed and I was let down due to the fact that the game felt much shorter than GTA 4.
  34. Apr 27, 2011
    9.5/10 = Incredible = Despite a few bugs this game is seriously great!! Great world, great atmosphere.
  35. Jan 18, 2013
    If you hate this game you're not a gamer, simple as that. No, I'm not a Rockstar fanboy but it's really so goddamn obvious that Red Dead Redemption is the best game this gen, by far and that is a fact.
  36. Mar 19, 2014
    Played this game right after it came out. A little buggy, but still makes anything Naughty Dog or Irrational Games made look like amateur hour, The Last of Us included.
  37. Nov 1, 2011
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW) After being terribly disappointed with GTA4, I avoided RDR until the recent GOTY release. I figured, hey, free dlc? OK, why not? Unfortunately, this game is about as mediocre as GTA4. Much like GTA4, RDR sports a completely uninteresting protagonist, a terrible, drawn out story, two dimensional characters, and a nauseating interpretation of the American southwest and northern Mexico that will make you gag. The story missions are hopelessly repetitive, the side missions are almost all fetch quests, the mini games (aside from casino games) are boring, and the "ambient challenges" (sharpshooting, hunting, treasure finding, plant gathering) serve no purpose other than to increase your fame score (and marginally at that) which yields passive bonuses every time you 'level it up.' Throughout the game, you also unlock different outfits, some of which grant passive bonuses one might call "perks" but the majority of them serve no purpose other than to make your character look different. Sorry Rockstar, I don't want to play dress up. Combat is improved over GTA4, however, it's still way too easy. Add to that the inclusion of bullet time (called Dead Eye) and the game is a cakewalk. Even on Hardcore mode with auto aim disabled, less health, and longer health regen (yes, it has health regen), it's still too easy. The game world is quite vast requiring large amounts of travel. While traveling, you might encounter random events along the road, say, travelers under attack by bandits or people trying to steal your horse. It's a nice diversion from moving through the massive world, but the variety of events is lacking and rescuing the same maiden in distress or recapturing the same escaped prisoners over and over gets old fast like many of the features in the game. Fast travel is also a feature but is not without its flaws. Fast travel takes place from stage coaches - the taxis of RDR. Stage coaches are not in every town, however. You can instead set up a camp, wait for the game to force you to watch some animations as you navigate the camp menu, and then fast travel. Yes that's right - you have to set up a camp in order to fast travel. Not that intuitive but whatever. If there is no stage coach at the town you are currently in, you can't set up camp inside the town to fast travel out of it. Instead, you have to leave the town, travel into the wilderness for a bit, set up your camp, watch the stupid animations and navigate the menu, then select your destination, loading screen, and voila, it's 6 hours later and you're where you need to be. The controls are generally good but there are some curious decisions. While on horseback, you have to hold a button to maintain your speed. If you want to make your horse gallop faster, you have to mash that same button in order to make it sprint. But your horse has stamina and will tire, so you have to mash X, hold it and let him regenerate his stamina bar, then mash X again to go faster. This is so **** tedious and hurts my thumb. The graphics are good, the atmosphere is great (even if the characters are 2D), but that means **** all since the gameplay is so stale. That's not to say the game isn't fun to play. The shooting is solid (though easy thanks to bullet time) and the missions are fun at first, but the game does absolute nothing new so that by the time you are 20% complete with the game, you have seen all it has to offer. Never does it incrementally introduce new mechanics or switch things up. It is the same tedious, mind numbing tasks over and over again, much like GTA4. If you are a GTA die hard, you will love this game. If you have never played a GTA game before, you will love this game. If you were expecting a fresh experience and not just a new setting, look elsewhere. Expand
  38. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this game. The environments and graphics took my breath away and riding through the wild west on your horse is one of those video gaming moments that I'll never forget. Couple this with a great story and main character and you've got yourself a wonderful, wonderful game. Cut short from being a masterpiece by the slightly sluggish feeling combat and the fact you're dumped with a character you hardly even know at the end of the game. This pretty much ruined my incentive to 100% the game once I'd completed the main story. Nevertheless this is an amazing game. Expand
  39. Feb 23, 2011
    this game is the most boring, DREADFUL, games i have ever ever played... graphically its sweet, sound is tight, i feel like i'm there... the horse riding, slow pace, they had me killing coyotes! in that moment i said i love john wayne, but i don't want to be him
  40. Jan 23, 2011
    The game takes you to the beginning of the 20th century in the far west. It really takes you there. From the weather, the light, the plants, the animals, the people, the architecture, etc. You are there. The story has been worked at that same level of detail too, including many historical figures and events.

The music is also amazing and really sets the tone.I haven't played the previous
    statements, but to me the gameplay is really good. The controls feel natural but at some points the game lacks some drama and becomes a bit repetitive.

The graphics are quite good, but on the exception of the landscapes which are amazing, they are inferior to Uncharted 2 or Metal Gear guns of the patriots.

The only thing that I really hated about this game was the ALIASING. It seems the game is not rendered at 720p or 1080p, but at some other inferior resolution which makes a constant annoying ALIASING...

Although it has it's flaws, RDR is an amazing game.
  41. Oct 18, 2013
    This game is boring. It’s Grand Theft Auto in the Old West, which may sound intriguing until you actually play it for a while and discover that something as simple as moving your “vehicle” in reverse has become a tedious pain in the butt. Not to mention that riding a horse is flat out nowhere near as fun as driving a car and removes most of the things that make the GTA sandbox fun (different types of vehicles, stunt jumps, etc).

Everything down to the gameplay structure & unnecessarily long cutscenes during missions is the same as GTA4. You unlock mission givers and have to travel to them from your save point, then to the mission objective, then back to the save point, over & over again. Except, as I mentioned, you’re on a horse instead of in a car. The graphics on PS3 are also disappointing, just like GTA4.

There is allegedly some incredible story buried in this game, but good luck finding it. I played for about 20 hours and never encountered it (also a lot like GTA4). I completely lost interest in whatever was going on after doing my umpteenth random task for whats-her-name the cattle rancher. The sidequests are even worse. I can’t imagine how mind-numbing it would be to try and reach 100% completion on this game.

If you have a serious hard-on for the Old West, horses, and moving slowly over mostly empty & bleak terrain, this game is your huckleberry. Otherwise, steer clear.
  42. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 9.5 out of 10 Graphics: 9.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9 out of 10 Controls: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8.5
    Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Length: 9 out of 10
    Re-play: 8.5 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: none
  43. Dec 29, 2012
    Just when I thought that Rockstar Games couldn't create anything other than overhyped crap, I was proven wrong with this game. And I must tell you, it never felt so good to be wrong.
  44. Nov 11, 2010
    Having played all the GTA series I was anxious to get this game. It is a truly absorbing and atmospheric game , expansive and enthralling. However one can't help feeling that because GTA exists it never fully feels 'new' and because of that the impact is lost a little. If you have never really played GTA go for this straight off, you wont be dissappointed. Even if you have GTA I would recommend. Its a superb game. The game is worth playing just for the wow factor of looking at the views and listening to the wildlife. Id put it close to GTA but not quite a GTA 4 beater. Expand
  45. Jun 1, 2013
    I have never played a better western game. How they got all the elements right is beyond me. The horse riding, gunplay, environment and game mechanics deliver a truly western gaming legend. Absolute proof that Rockstar has what it takes to make the next GTA and RDR as good as we want it to be and much more.
  46. Nov 9, 2010
    What an overrated void of nothingness. First of all this really is gta4 in the wild west. All of the games side quest or secondary activities are boring and useless except hunting, you play them to earn money yet you cant use money for anything which makes them pointless. The game is way too easy, i died very few times and the game is not long at all if you dont waste your time playing stupid, pointless, easy, shallow mini games (Arm wrestling what a joke!) or side quests. The game also makes the wild west look boring and dull and the ending just plain sucks. Expand
  47. Oct 13, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is legendary!!!
    The truth is i was never really into the whole west thing and was extremely skeptical about RDR because of rockstars previous games ,mainly GTA. GTA got on my nerves because it always felt like the same thing, the only difference was location and story. But now rockstar has exploded my faith in them with one of the most beautiful,most innovative and the
    biggest games i have ever played!!I now love the west and all the cowboy stuff!!!This is one of those games that you will remember for the rest of your life!!YOU ROCKSTAR!!!LOL Expand
  48. Sep 16, 2011
    This game has the one thing that kept GTA IV away from erfect score - unique, uncharted world that has never existed in videogame. Plus fantastic heroes, plot and all game mechanisms.
  49. Jun 25, 2012
    Nobody makes better games than Rockstar. Their attention to detail is unmatched. Every aspect of their games is done better than anything else on the market - their control, their physics, their environments, their animations, their freedom of movement. When you play most games, there are usually 1 or 2 aspects of the game that are lacking or rushed...but Rockstar's games feel polished and complete in every respect. Red Dead Redemption is no exception. They improved the character control since GTA, but horses aren't as fun to control as cars, so the traveling can get a bit dull. This world isn't quite as fun as GTA and lacks the over-the-top action from GTA (like the ability to sky dive or create 10-car pile-ups that made GTA so enjoyable)...but this is still an amazing game that puts most other games on the market to shame. It really is baffling to me how under-appreciated Rockstar's work ethic. They put so much more into their games than anyone else does, yet many other games still get scored in the 9-10 range, despite the fact that these games have half the amount of content, half the freedom, half the environment, and half the attention to detail as Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  50. Dec 12, 2012
    After playing through the main storyline as well as taking my precious time between side missions and challenges, I can gladly say that this game is the best "Grand Theft Auto"-esque game produced by Rockstar. Environments are unique, interesting and consistently enjoyable to play around in, characters that you come across and encounter are well-rounded and interesting in their own way, and the whole traditional feel of a western game really does shine through this fine example of one. You can hunt for animals that are sprinkled all across the three areas that you can traverse through, there will be countless amounts of dynamic encounters like saving a treasure hunter from pilfering bandits or engaging in a good old-fashioned duel to test the agility and grit of our lone ranging. The Dead Eye Meter as well as regenerative health, while making the game seem like an easy ride the way through, actually distribute a lot of the difficulties from other Grand Theft Auto-inspired games and allow the player to play the game challenged but not completely overwhelmed. There are also tons of other minigames as well, such as arm wrestling, poker, horseshoes, and even little propaganda movies. The lore and the history shown through this game is also captivating as well, and you can feel quite nostalgic from reading old-timey newspapers that are unapologetically misogynistic and retro in their own feel. I was worried that the diversity of the weapons in this game would be few and far in between, but in actuality, there is an arsenal of weapons to find, choose from, and use in the game, if several guns are categorized in the same field, such as sniper rifles, repeaters, shotguns, miscellary, and pistols. the only few gripes I have with this game is that Horse controls can be a little shoddy, and I still haven't quite found a way to stop a horse from moving at all (unless I kill it), and the fact that the main storyline kind of ended on a disappointing note. It wasn't as dramatic as I hoped it would be. Still, this game will definitely be worth your money if you want to engage yourself in a top-notch competitor for other western-themed games to come. Expand
  51. Aug 19, 2010
    A really fun game with a bit to do, however it just felt like the effort wasnt there to make it interesting but overall it had a solid base but they should of expanded on it more. I rented it for the week and I'm glad I did this instead of buying it.
  52. Feb 12, 2012
    Fantastic game by Rockstar. The PS2 Red Dead Revolver I believe has a better story line than Red Dead Redemption. I enjoyed the weapons, enemies, and over all plot. I like the ending which had an excellent twist. I believe this is a solid title with plenty of extras that will keep you coming back for more.
  53. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best games ever made for the PS3. Beautiful, fun, characters are great, open world, great story. So much better than GTA IV (thought GTA IV characters and stories were lacking). But in short, this is a must have for any person that owns a PS3.
  54. Oct 30, 2012
    This is actually the first Rockstar game that i have even finished ! And i have finished it at 100%... twice ! If you ever dream to be a cowboy, this game will let you do everything a cowboy can do ! You can play poker, start a fight in a bar, catch someone with a lasso and drag him with your horse and much more. The story is great, the ending epic and there is a lot of things to do ! Really a great game ! Expand
  55. Aug 25, 2011
    There is so much fun stuff to do in this game. I feel like you can't be bored playing this game. The game is beautiful, so even just sitting on your horse, admiring the Mexican sunset while watching deer jump across the plain is awesome. A fresh change of pace from GTA for Rockstar most indeed. The story was brilliant especially the end.
  56. Oct 26, 2012
    Working as if it were the great-grandfather of Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Horse is based in the scenic dirtplot of Las Venturas right after the Spanish colonials got kicked out in favour of hicks with revolvers. Unlike Red Dead Revolver, the assumable precursor to this title by the Rockstar franchise, Red Dead Redemption places you in the shoes (or boots) of John Marston, criminal turned rancher who is forced by the puritanical US Government to go to the wild wild west to kill his ex-gang partners-in-crime, lest the government will kill John's family should he not comply. The sandbox world you're given is broad and bold, though a bit drab, considering it's cactus, rocks, and dirt almost as far as the eye can see. The sheer scope of the world, however, makes up for its lack of diversity; while the world feels big, it's not impossible to traverse it, and there are enough hunting side-quests and different minigames that allow you to explore the land at your leisure; furthermore, the desert atmosphere does carry a unique charm. The plot and characters all carry themselves with that cowboy swagger you'd expect to see in any Western, and deliver with clichés firmly lassoed and corralled in all the expected places with well acted and written dialogue. As for the gameplay, it handles excellently, with heated gun battles and horse race chases, though given this is the entire basis of the game, it at times gets a bit old and boring. While other quests such as collecting wild herbs and hunting wild animals exist, they never seem to balance the main missions, and nobody in their right mind could have thought that missions involving you herding cows could have been a good idea when the cows have the frequent habit of impaling themselves on trees, getting lost on railroad tracks in front of oncoming trains, or diving headfirst off cliffs. While Red Dead Redemption offers much exploration and a very well written plot, the substance seems a bit sparse. Many of the missions seem to exist simply for the sake of doing something, and it takes 10 minutes just to listen to the characters drone on about their lives before the mission even starts, before spending the next 10 minutes trotting alongside them as they whine about their woes to you until you reach your destination. The game is excellently written and a barrel of fun, but it all seems almost forced and meaningless in the end, leaving you with a feeling emptiness and expectations unfulfilled. Regardless, the game is definitely worth a play through, and won't leave you regretting your time. Except the time you spend herding cows. Expand
  57. Jun 27, 2013
    I was wary of how well an old western setting could be made into a video game, but this one nailed it. RDR has a great story, setting and mechanics. And just when you thought it couldn't get any better, they release "The Undead Nightmare" and throw a twist on everything, but it's great.
  58. Sep 28, 2011
    I don't think I've ever grown to care so much about a character as I did with John Marston. The story is so well crafted and every character feels so believable. I've never liked "doing nothing" in games, but I'd rather do nothing in this game than do something in most games. I understand if some people think this game is hyped and don't enjoy this. But everything in this game is just so beautiful and well thought out. Quite buggy from time to time, but nothing too serious. An incredible cowboy simulator, I really really got into the western feeling. Riding is incredible and missions are great! This is the first gime where I really cared about doing everything 100% because I couldn't stop playing it. Also, when the game was over I felt sad for days - I'm not kidding. There was such a big emptiness and I wish I could erase my memory and play it from the beginning. Truly a masterpiece in gaming, much better than GTA IV. Expand
  59. Jun 10, 2011
    It's much more than just GTA in the West. It expands upon the already solid formula we're so used to from Rockstar's earlier games and brings its own flavor and character to a genre which was sorely lacking. There's something in this game for everyone and once you've finished the 20+ hour long story, there's always the ranked multiplayer to keep you busy in the Wild West for quite some time.
  60. Dec 3, 2012
    I guess I expected more from the game when I read all the reviews. But sadly I was not as satisfied as I was waiting to be. Become more of me trying hard to like a game which is not as polished as I would've liked it to be. Not the biggest fan by a long shot.
  61. Apr 26, 2011
    A brilliant narrative that plays with the players perspective, and sheds the wild west in a new light. It is proof that videogames are indeed art. Unfortunately it's not actually fun to play, with some of the most tedious mechanics in modern gaming. The section in mexico was especially a chore, with it's frequent backtracking. At the end there is a great annoyance as well, as a completely achievable obstacle assumes and forces the player's defeat. Expand
  62. Mar 5, 2011
    Nowadays sanbox games are as common as never before and most of them don't do much do be diffrent or unique. The gta series is recycled and other sandbox franchises try to imitate it. Red dead, although from the same developer, is nothing like that and is in fact the best sandbox game I have ever played. There arent many western videogames around so red dead redemption comes out as a very unique game. The gameplay in RDR is varied and goes from the regular shooting/escorting missions to sidequests and mini games. The side quests, though usually not related to the main story, are very good and interesting. There are tons of mini games of all sorts( poker, horseshoe etc.) and they are fun. The game really gets incredible with the story mission. the story is a bit similar to that in gta 4 but more subtle. John Marston is a badass but is very human( unlike Niko). You really bond with the characters so you really want to know how everything turns out in the end. The game is incredible in the sound and graphics compartments as well. The graphics are probably the best in sandbox games history and the sound fits perfectly to the game. You really feel like you are in the wild west and exploring the huge map is great. There is also multiplayer, which I didn't really like but others do, if you are intrested in that. The game has quite a few glitches and sometimes they are annoying but they are far far from being a deal breaker. Overall the game is superb. It takes an overused genre and turns it unique back again. As a whole package this game is everything you could hope for in an action game: fun and unique gameplay, great story, good sound, incredible visuals and a ton of replay value. One of my favourites this gen for sure. Expand
  63. Jan 13, 2013
    This game definitely is predominately better than any other Rockstar company game ever made. The fun of this game includes Poker, Liar's Dice, or getting drunk and walking down a western-filled road. The campaign was incredible, I played it all and I absolutely loved it. Rockstar has pulled off a yet again, another amazing game. The graphics are definitely the best I've played for in a while. You're getting your money worth. I have to warn parents though lingering on getting their child this game, there is some partial nudity. You can skip these parts though by pressing the "pause" button, or just pressing the "X" button control on your controller. That or just turn off the TV. Multiplayer in this game does NOT include nudity at any time though, language is the main thing in the game you have to worry about. Although I say that, this game is highly recommended. A lot of fun and filled with days of the campaign mode. Expand
  64. Feb 1, 2011
    A great game is one that in the first five minutes, you're drawn in. The game continually takes you deeper and gives an unparalled experiance. This is not one of those games. It takes you thirty minutes to get a gun and your first enemy are crop rabbits. The beautiful landscapes take all day to traverse on horseback and the missions just repeat themselves. The story was just like any other open world Rockstar game where the main character is a broken man that becomes a hired gun. Tell me that isn't the same in al GTA's. So much time and energy is put into side quest that do nothing but extend the lenght of the game. The characters met along the way are rehashes of same old models we've seen one too many times. The average score is given to the play mechanics which are very nice. This game has high production values that tricks players into believing its a great feat to shoot a cowboy off a horse. Or to win a quick draw. I got 80% completion until I just didn't want to play anymore. Expand
  65. Nov 4, 2010
    Very well thought out game, has a great story line all the way to the end, enough different weapons to make it interesting, i personally prefer the GTA games however this was definitely worth buying. I enjoyed it to the very end.
  66. Dec 19, 2010
    very good game but not as good as GTA IV, the production values didn't seem as impressive in this game and the story was uninteresting for me until the awesome finale but anyway this game is a little of an improvement gameplay wise over GTA IV and it had more activities to do, i hated playing some of the mini games but the ability to hunt animals and pick up flowers as well as taming horses was really awesome, it feels like there's so much to do even when most of it is tedious, but at the end I really enjoyed the game including the great multiplayer, not as fair and diverse of an experience as GTA IV but it was fun nonetheless. Expand
  67. Dec 29, 2011
    The best game ever for this style. Better than GTA 4, Better than everything. There's just so many things to do. You can hunt, you can kill outlaws, you can be an outlaw, you can do secondary missions, you can play poker and stuff, you can simply do the main missions (and they're awesome). The only problem is the GLITCHES. the game is loaded of them. I'd give it a 9.5, but I can't. 9 it is, then.
  68. Feb 29, 2012
    Wow. I have played some amazing games with great gameplay, story and a fantastic universe, but I have never played a game as good as this. I only picked this up at the start of this year, and I really regret waiting so long to do so. Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's masterpiece. It blends a fantastic story, great gameplay and an incredibly immersive, gorgeous world that really feels like a living world. I'll start by talking about the graphics. The graphics are absolutely breath-taking. Two years after its release and Red Dead is still one of the best looking games I have ever played. The wild west looks fantastic and diverse and has a gigantic scope. I have never really been compelled to explore any open world games- GTA4 didn't really have an interesting world, in Skyrim I just spammed the fast travel and in many other open world games I just only focused on the story. However in Red Dead Redemption the world is so beautiful that simply riding my horse around the Wild West is enough to keep me incredibly entertained. Now I will talk about the story. The story seems like a simple western but it is still fantastic. It is the story of a man called John Marston. At the beginning John gets shot and left to die by former gang mate Bill Williamson. He is taken in by a woman named Bonnie MacFarlane who tends to his wounds and lets him stay at her ranch. Marston then goes on a journey to try and find Bill Williamson and kill him before he kills his family. It's an interesting story filled with some whacky, interesting and compelling characters. There wasn't a single character (with the exception of Nigel West Dickens) who annoyed me. The gameplay was just fantastic. The main weapons I used were a rifle, shotgun, knife, pistol and a lasso. All of them look good and feel powerful, because every bullet of a gun that hits an enemy, every victim you throw your lasso at reacts well and realistically, a shot to the leg won't necessarily kill, whereas a shot to the chest or head can kill instantly. The horse riding is a bit wonky at first, however you get used to it after a while and you wouldn't have the horse riding controls any other way. There are a lot of activities to do in Red Dead. From cattle herding, horse breaking, assaulting gang hideouts, playing poker, liar's dice and blackjack, hunting and more. There are also treasures to find and a lot of cool costumes to unlock, with the Mexican poncho being the highlight of all the costumes. There are just so many things to do in the massive world of Red Dead Redemption and you'll never feel bored of what you are doing. The bottom line is that Red Dead Redemption is an absolute masterpiece. It blends a fantastic open world, a great story, fantastic gameplay and charming characters. Red Dead Redemption is single handedly the best game I have ever played. Rockstar are simply the master game creators, and I cannot wait to see what is next for the Read Dead series. You absolutely have to buy this game, your money will be well spent and you will enjoy it for hours, even if you aren't a fan of western movies. Expand
  69. Nov 12, 2013
    A terrific sandbox game set in a fictional old-west. Everything you've heard about the graphics and sound are true. Good voice acting and a compelling storyline keep things moving while the side quests and mini games keep everything interesting. The game is only marred by a sloppy control scheme that takes a LOT of getting used to, and a ridiculous, cumbersome save system. I would have also liked it if the setting had been based on actual places in the old west instead of a fictional southwestern state. In all, though, a fun, gigantic game that very much lives up to the hype. Expand
  70. Jul 5, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs are the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  71. Dec 20, 2013
    Unforgettable experience. Only 2 games last gen give me deep empathy. RDR is one of. This is not only a game but also a fantastic cultural journey in american west appearing to be barren but hiding endless charm.
    In addition, RDR recalls me Ocarina of Time so how in gameplay and atmosphere.
  72. May 25, 2011
    Rockstars best game. This game is so much better than all their other games in every aspect (apart from L.A. Noire which is much more innovative). Shortly: it's GTA: Cowboy but with a lot of improvements.
    The game has amazing graphics, some of the best characters in a video gamer ever, a quite good story, great gameplay, dynamic environment: you can go hunting, saving people, killing
    people, stealing stuff, robbing stuff, catching criminals etc etc ... and all this feels really realistic and alive. The only thing I can bash on is that it's still the standard (in the main quest) go from "point A to point B" thing. There is no real choice on how to do a mission which feels very linear to the rest of the game. But anyhow, it's one of the best games ever and it's definatley Rockstars best game. Love it. Expand
  73. Jan 9, 2013
    this game is so good it really makes u think u r JOHN marston great graphics a rather dark game at times during that time a certain women gets gang raped but it shows how life was back then and the game is just so WOW
  74. Sep 13, 2014
    Excelente historia, ambientação, imersão, jogabilidade. UM dos melhores de sua geração! A rockstar conseguiu mais uma vez se superar. Com toda certeza uma continuação é mais do que bem vinda.
  75. Aug 21, 2010
    Perhaps the greatest sandbox game of all time. It's unlike Grand Theft Auto, as there's still so much to do after getting 100% completion. The graphics are incredible, and the soundtrack is amazing, too. The storyline is involving, but there's so much to do in the huge open world game that it may seem to get in the way.

A fantastic game, my choice for Game of the Year 2010.
  76. Jun 10, 2012
    Rockstar just hit the right spot with Read Dead Redemption.
    At the same time it's easy to explain, it's hard. The easy part's that RDR is very much like GTA, except by the fact it's Western themed. The hard part's that, besides the similarity of the genre, RDR has some artistic touch that GTA doesn't. The dialogues, the picking of the words and the conversation itself were mastered, in
    this game. It's really hilarious sometimes, as as well dramatic and deep other times. Plus, the voice acting is perfect, just how every game should be (in special, the voice of John Marston, the protagonist, is badass and awesome as hell). Story-wise, RDR has a decent story. It's not the best story out there, but it really gets the job done. The details in the world around helps to build an atmosphere that truly makes you feel as if you're in a Western world.
    The graphics are amazing. The world is beatiful. It's wonderful to literally ride to the sunset, or at dawn. The character models are not the best in the market. In one hand, facial animations are a bit poor, but nothing too much terrible to complain; in other, the body animations are very good and make the game look good.
    The gameplay is easy to get: point the dot and shoot. The good stuff here lies in the dead eye system. You can slow time and mark the targets you wanna shoot. When you press the trigger, everything you marked goes to the ground. It makes you look like a **** badass cowboy. The gun duels are amusing, too. But be advised: you can lose many hours in the game just playing card games, such as blackjack or poker. There are also games such liar's dice and horseshoes, In the end, all of them are pretty fun. RDR features side quests and outfits-hunting for the most adventurous players.
    Red Dead Redemption is an epic Western game that will suck you in with the roughness and glory of a rich world, fun gameplay and good story. It's just Rockstar being awesome again.
  77. Oct 7, 2012
    Everything is just right: look, content, dialogue, music, humor, action - everywhere is only very, very little room for improvement. With every step on the dusty ground it seems as if Eastwood or Bronson felt his side. Never before has the flair of hard spaghetti western was so perfect in a game over
  78. Aug 31, 2010
    This game reminds you why you play games! Great game, great story and one hell of a main character and awesome side characters who really grow on you. You really care about John Marston and he is very like-able, they did an excellent job on John Marston, on of the best protagonist ever created. The only thing that is a bummer is that is has no replay value. Ones you are finished, which will take you approx 40 - 50 hours if you are thorough, it is done. The story is told and time to shut the book and move on. Expand
  79. USG
    Nov 21, 2010
    The story, overall, in Red Dead Redemption is excellent, at least one of the best. It's dynamic, long and still works perfectly. Truthfully the story has blown me away. The game's graphics are generally good; the sky really stands out. The gameplay works; horses prove to be second to none compared to any other game. It has great exploration value, good difficulty, and sufficient features and side missions. The map adds hours of extra play. Its greatness does not even require multiplayer. Redemption does provide a classic Western feel. However, a huge problem are all the glitches in-game which breaks the momentum. Expand
  80. Feb 3, 2013
    One of the best games off all time. Awesome history graphics gameplay and the zombie DLC on the Old West revilocionate the gaming industry! the multiplayer is a bit fuzzy but its still very good
  81. Dec 1, 2012
    What were you smoking when you thought this GTA Rip off is good? No Horse Drives like a car. The textures and glitches are horrible. Mediocre story. Go play Zelda Twilight Princess that way you get a third person with a good camera. If you like this game your a Kurt Russel fan.
  82. Nov 22, 2013
    one of my greatest decision was choosing Red Dead Redemption over GTA 4. saw some GTA 4 walkthrough and felt like a blant colourless game. Red Dead is so far the best from Rockstar games. tons of missions and side missions and lots more content as compared to any other games. Red Dead is a mix od ruthless western era, classic gunplay, riding like a cowboy, hunting down anything that comes in your way. it took way more time to complete 100% it was not high on graphics and a few bugs which was solved after the patch it had Undead Nightmare free in the game of the year version. what else would anyone want buy 1 get 1 free Expand
  83. Aug 14, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game, but one can't help but notice that Rockstar is "copy-pasting" the GTA template too much on its games. I mean, seriously, you guys have too much talent to re-hash your previous work. Anyways, despite that, the game has great visuals (slight de-grade on texture resolution), an enganging story, and a very good multiplayer component. I would like to point out that RDR's characters are too stereotyped and the twist and turns of the story are predictable, especially when it comes to the ending. But, everything else is spot-on and amazing, most notably the world itself, the combat, and the controls. I loved RDR and I recommend it to anyone who loved Westerns or GTA, for that matter. If you hate either of those two things, then RDR is not for you. A 9.8/10. Expand
  84. Aug 27, 2011
    Unquestionably one of the best games ever made, nothing combines action, story-telling with an old-west feel like RDR. People may say that GTA 4 is better than RDR, but Niko is just some petty criminal, whereas Marston is fighting for a just cause.
  85. Apr 9, 2012
    This is a fantastic game by Rockstar.
    The wild west has never been properly portrayed in another game, and RDR does a great job at doing so.
    One of the best games this generation.
  86. Feb 19, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece by Rockstar Games, you get real-life early 20th century American and wild west features, along with a suspenseful plot, and amazing gameplay, totally worth the 60 bucks!
  87. Mar 15, 2013
    Really enjoyable, but mediocre experience. Too much horse riding, duel system is awful, dead eye feels useless, there is no real need to aim(the game has inbuilt aimbot), most of the missions are either repetitive or boring, story is not interesting, there are too many strange story related characters, you cannot really choose what to do(only in which order you do things), there isn't any choices that would affect the story or the way people see you, the performance is awful(runs 15-25fps and sometimes even drops around 5fps). I still gave it 7 because I sort of enjoyed it and there are not many western games. Expand
  88. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possibly the most overrated, boring, pointless pile of crap I have ever played, parts where I thought it was going to get things right it failed on every level. So many fanboys of this game. Which is one of the reasons its hyped to be one of the best games every created. It's not. As much as I wanted to get into this game with it's INCREDIBLY high production value and great graphics it was just a slow boring game.

One of the things that made it most disappointing for me was how much it was hyped to be a open world SANDBOX game. It is not. Sure you can go anywhere you want but there is litterily no point. Hunting? Pffft. There's no crafting system for this game for hunting so really if you skin an animal the only thing to do with it is to sell it for a few bucks. That's it. There is not much else to do in this game besides buy a few weapons or items. You may have a little bit of fun with shooting up a entire town, but the shooting mechanics are so dull and boring that theres no fun before getting rushed by the police and getting absolutely murdered because of it's GOD AWFUL cover system.

Bottom line is if you want to buy this game for a open world do whatever you want western experience this is NOT your game. However if you want a single player 20 hour game with a ok story and average missions then sure rent it and complete it in 2 or 3 days. But after that theres no reason to replay this game. Another thing I was dissopointed with is the HUGE lack in quests. I swear in the entire game there's probably 25 quests at the most. Over a 20 hour experience. Each quest will take you about 10-20 minutes to complete. This should not be classified as a RPG, considering there's no powerups or leveling up tree of any kind and the interior of the game is just dull in a lot of ways.

The multiplayer for this game is no different. It's a boring average 3rd person game with no mechanics to call its own other than a quickdraw to start the match off and dead eye as a kill streak. Not much else.

I will give the game credit for it's 20 hour story that will give you a little entertainment but beyond that this game does not deserver a 10 because of it's lack of replayability, open world dissopointments as advertised, and many other dissopointments as well.

What you have is a boring western shooter with not much epicness going for it. Thanks for wasting my money rockstar.

The multiplayer is barely worth mentioning.
  89. Dec 11, 2010
    Here is my simple and straight forward review; no bs. Pros:

- Massive landscape and scope of game. Variety in landscapes (blistering hot desert to restless tundra)
    - Compelling characters: John Martson is by far the most compelling character this year and you can feel really connected to this man's struggles
    - Great Graphics: Presentation is A+, no sacrifices were made to make the large
    free roam
    - Epic narrative: The story itself is the greatest aspect of this game
    - Variety of weapons, horses, activities - Original: No other game this year is like this one, best Western videogame ever made Cons:

- Missions are REALLY repetitive and boring (follow guy on horse, kill some dudes, take reward, done). - Glitchy (falling off the map isn't exactly hard to do if you try) - Too much desert, the deserty landscape of this game althought different takes up like 60% of the map. Tall trees (snow part) is far too small compared to the rest of the map.
    - Dragging length; due to the repetitive missions, the singleplayer is a bit too long. There seems to be like 3 different instances were you thought you beat the game only to find out you didn't. - At one point you end up shooting birds to protect a barn and helping your son hunt deer. Not exactly the most exciting aspect of the game. This part should have been cut
    - Multiplayer is extremely boring; gamemodes and uninteresting, free roam has literally NOTHING to do other than beat the same gang hideouts over and over again - No replay value due to boring multiplayer and extremely long singleplayer

Overall: Red dead is a rent and not a buy. The multiplayer is a waste of time and effort but the single player is a very compelling narrative but with boring and repetitive missions, the presentation is great as well. I wish I could give this game a 7.5 but I can't. So 7.
  90. Aug 8, 2012
    Now this is a true masterpiece by Rockstar. This is the best game of its year, and people are gonna remember this game for decades. Where else you can relive the Wild West?

Red Dead Redemption has everything a gamer can ask: story, graphics, gameplay, sound and it never grow old.
  91. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. There are a few visual hiccups here and there, but that, for me, was easy to overlook when the gameplay is so solid, the landscape is so beautiful, and the story is that good. I'm not much of an "online multiplayer" guy, but even that was pretty fun. Seriously, play this game!
  92. Mar 7, 2013
    I feel complete playing this game. That's something I've never said before for a game, and something that probably won't be said again in a long time (until Bioshock Infinite maybe) but seriously, this game will change your life. For better.
  93. Apr 6, 2013
    Never have I seen such an immersive world with a plethora of engaging stuff to do. Fun stuff that doesn't feel tacked-on; mini-games, side-missions, main missions, multiplayer. The world is detailed and intricate, it totally fits the style of the early 1900's western feel. The storyline is also compelling and is full of twists you won't see coming, complete with superb voice acting. Its ending by the way was so unexpected and was one of those truly great "Oh s***!" moments in gaming. There is so much stuff to do in this game, I mean Rockstar really went all out. It is truly a spectacle witnessing such a great game ascending to such heights. There is so much to mention and it is all so solid that I just can't find a fault with anything in the game. Yes, there a few bugs every now and then but they're never a detriment to the game, if anything they even enhance the experience with how ridiculously funny they are. I cannot recommend enough that you spend your hard-earned cash on this game. Trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  94. Mar 27, 2014
    This game is the reason I got a PS3. This is like GTA but, with horses instead of cars and marshals instead of cops. The graphics are awesome, some people complain that covering vast distances with a horse is boring but I found the scenery amazing (besides, you’re gonna miss on the side-missions if you just skip the journeys). There’s a loose storyline yes, but in this game the focus is the gameplay. There’s a ton of fun things to do, from performing simple cowboy tasks like herding cows to patrolling towns for criminals or even deer hunting. Hell you can even bet your money on blackjack or poker. Unfortunately one negative aspect of the game for me is the music, or rather the lack of it as there’s too many moments of silence. Overall the game is amazing and if you buy this you’re in for a treat. Expand
  95. Jul 3, 2013
    It is impossible to say that Red Dead Redemption is a bad game. It is a unique open world with a unique world to explore that only Rockstar could create. John Marston is a character with whom I most identified, is a special character, who just wants his family back. Throughout the game the player encounters unusual characters, and dangerous, but they are just to emphasize the world in which the player is inserted. There are many activities to do, and a world to explore, there are several ways to earn money and to top it off, this game features a multiplayer that is worth being played. The game has a few bugs, but those bugs is the price to pay for one of the best looking games around. Expand
  96. Nov 25, 2013
    I Loved that game, it was quite awesome, it's the best old-west game i'v ever seen, the story got it's cliches but still a good history and the graphics are awesome, the bad part of this game is that he has a lot of bugs.
  97. Jan 7, 2012
    A true masterpiece. Everything from the story to the soundtrack is just incredible. There is so much content to indulge in and you can spend countless hours just exploring the beautiful landscapes. The multiplayer is a blast and is surprisingly deep. The gameplay is as smooth as ever and Rockstar's Engine truly shines. All of the downloadable content is great as well and shouldn't be missed.
  98. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Red Dead is a masterpeice, plain and simple. The story is breathtaking and will leave you wanting more, yet being satisfied. The free roam is fun and has the added joy of joining a posse with friends and fighting other gangs. The story is extremely long and occasionally slow, but in the end it will suck you in and not let go. Fokes leave your computer and buy this game immediately!!! Expand
  99. May 25, 2012
    Story fades off to tedium in many parts of the game, but it's certainly worth a playthrough nevertheless (took me 3 goes to get up and running with game though)
  100. Nov 11, 2012
    It's a good game. Good dialogs and actor playing, beautiful landscapes, interesting characters, tons, TONS of content. But there in one big flaw. There is almost no actual gameplay. You riding your horse through the desert... riding... riding... shooting sometimes. Rinding and shooting is not fun, because controlls are just terrible. All the missions are MMORPG-like. But after all this - it's a good game. Great respect for developers. Expand
  101. Feb 28, 2011
    So, this is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. It's not the grudgingly good score some give games that are rated well but not quite as enjoyable as expected, nor is it one that I am fanboyish about because I just happened to be in the perfect mood for it one sleepless night. Those games, and we all know there are plenty of examples of each, all have something to improve on. Yet RDR has nothing to improve on, it simply gives us a living, breathing world, and lets us romp around in it like the heroes of westerns would have, but with the self-conscious modernist philosophical twist Rockstar showed more crudely in GTA. The societal commentary is there, but more intelligent and not as nihilistic or snarky as in GTA. Much more consistent message and world all around here.

So, the GTA formula is inevitably what this game will be compared to by anyone who ever played Rockstar's stuff since GTA 3. And it's a fair comparison because it's superficially just like GTA, but, unlike GTA, it is quite refined in action. There is no tedious travel because you can quick travel with a minimum amount of downtime, yet you can appreciate the landscape if you wish by just riding toward the sun and seeing where it leads you (try it at sunset, it's pretty and it's fun).

The GTA formula could not, IMHO, get much more refined than this, because not only is it convenient, but it encourages you to explore and has a TON of stuff for anyone who wants to go outside the storyline and play around. There are 10 ranks in 4 different categories of various tasks, in hunting, shooting, picking herbs, and treasure hunting. I love all these activites, and it's fun to work on them because they feel so natural in conjunction with running around across the landscape.

So rather than rehash what you can read in dozens of professional reviews, I guess I want to say, to clear away all the informational overload, how I react to this game overall, and how it fits into the landscape of gaming these days. This game is more like Oblivion than any other, I believe, because its best character is the world in which everything takes place. Except unlike Oblivion, its polish, detail, and mind-boggling variety will even impress the most pissy, jaded critics. The world has a personality of its own, and there are two basic themes that shine through this entire experience - a rustic nostalgia we all love from the best 50's westerns, and also the kind of serious humanistic character-driven drama we get from the best modern cinema. There are plenty of examples of both in this game, which is one of the biggest reasons that it succeeds so well, that it does not simply flip the bird to everyone the way Grand Theft Auto did. There is depth and maturity in, not only the story, but the whole world and style. This, folks, is a video game world if there ever was one, not just a haphazard collection of missions - so get it already if you have a PS3 or 360 and if you love quality games. And, on a side note, if jaggies bother you in your games you will have to get used to them, especially for the PS3 version, which has quite a bit of aliasing that distorts the otherwise beautiful landscape. Odd since the PS3 is so much more powerful with exclusives. As a PC gamer I am especially picky about graphics, but even compared to many other PS3 games the jaggies are pretty noticeable, and I heard the 360 version's graphics are smoother.

To close, I did read about the exploitation of the Rockstar SD employees by executives, and I think it's a travesty - if someday a Rockstar SD employee might read this review, the silent majority of gamers wish you could've been given an extra year to make this game if that meant you could've worked a reasonable work week. To think that the few hundred men and women who made one of the greatest games of our generation had to worry about their labor rights being upheld is simply ridiculous. But in the end we all appreciate your blood, sweat, and tears, and we hope you continue to do more fantastic work in the future. The game speaks for itself.

1. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games. [Issue#206, p.86]
  2. Rockstar's skill in creating a believable, functioning world with a distinct, coherent and consistent atmosphere is peerless. The broad-brush vision is masterful.
  3. Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece. This game is the perfect example of how a developer should work to create the best atmosphere and to represent a beautiful historical situation. The graphics, the gameplay elements and everything else is at top level. Buy Red Dead Redemption, now!