Rocksmith PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Nov 6, 2011
    This game is fun and it would be a great teaching tool, however, as a more experienced guitarist I find it frustratingly boring to get to a point where it just displays how to play the whole song instead of a simplified version. There doesn't seem to be an option to just play the song as it originally was recorded. I think it might not be able to pick up too many notes at a fast pace andThis game is fun and it would be a great teaching tool, however, as a more experienced guitarist I find it frustratingly boring to get to a point where it just displays how to play the whole song instead of a simplified version. There doesn't seem to be an option to just play the song as it originally was recorded. I think it might not be able to pick up too many notes at a fast pace and it is never going to be the entire song. It often harder to play a simplified version of songs I already know how to play. Good thing it is very generous on the timing of notes. You have a +/- of a whole second to hit the appropriate note to register it. I can see that being good for beginners but I think a lot of people will learn these songs really incorrectly. For mini-games they actually turn off the generous timing so it become frustrating with the delay of your setup. I appreciate the generous timing when I have to go through songs I hate or have never heard before. You can just fumble through it the first time and never have to play it again. Seems to be a lot of modern hipster songs for the kids. I think most people, even kids, want to play the classic riffs instead of these artists that nobody will remember in 3 years. Overall I wish this was available to me when I was 12 and could learn guitar at a faster rate. As an experienced guitarist, it bores me too much to want to setup everything for me to play. Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2012
    While there are plenty of things to like about Rocksmith, I was ultimately disappointed for one reason: the audio (not video) response lag. I used the ideal setup recommended by Ubisoft -- a component audio cable from my PS3 to my home stereo, (with HDMI carrying only video to my TV). Despite this, there is still a slight but noticeable delay between the real-time sound of my guitar andWhile there are plenty of things to like about Rocksmith, I was ultimately disappointed for one reason: the audio (not video) response lag. I used the ideal setup recommended by Ubisoft -- a component audio cable from my PS3 to my home stereo, (with HDMI carrying only video to my TV). Despite this, there is still a slight but noticeable delay between the real-time sound of my guitar and the sound coming through the game. As an experienced guitar player, I couldn't ignore it. It was like using a delay pedal that didn't play my initial note -- just the delayed notes. As others have noted, playing faster passages only makes it more noticeable. I felt like I wasn't completely in control of my timing, and that took most of the fun out of the game for me. Expand
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    For guitar players with some level of experience,this is a very entertaining choice and course complement for their daily practice but contrary of the box advertising say,those enthusiasts who don't know anything or too little should be warned.The game itself is somehow hard for newbies and begginers and difficult don't help out,beside you have to watch the tv screen to see the positionsFor guitar players with some level of experience,this is a very entertaining choice and course complement for their daily practice but contrary of the box advertising say,those enthusiasts who don't know anything or too little should be warned.The game itself is somehow hard for newbies and begginers and difficult don't help out,beside you have to watch the tv screen to see the positions when actually is easier to practice while watching the fretboard.In fact if you don't know, learning guitar take sometime and can't be done in the period of time you end playing Skyrim. Beside this game , should be a complement of other courses,there isn't a complete method to learn guitar anyway.Ubisoft noticed this so they have to release a bass adon what is in other words a game to play an easier instrument.
    In my case that I'm beggining to learn but have some basics,I wouldn't waste my money there,because If you find playing guitar difficult,then jump out to bass,then if you found playing bass difficult,then jump out to another instrument until you feel comfortable at the end with a tambourine?Non sense.But like every course that is productive like in this case playing electric guitar should definitively dererve some merit.

1. Nov 19, 2012
    Rocksmith isn't really a game the same way Guitar Hero is. It's more of a complex educational software that uses the look of a video game for better motivation. You could easily use YouTube videos and Guitar Pro tabs instead - and thousands of self-taught guitarists do. Fortunately putting everything in one place and using nice game-like graphics create a product that motivates better than any "usual" software does.
  2. Oct 26, 2012
    While Ubisoft may have fundamentally failed to grasp the commitment behind learning actual guitar, the product behind it is sound. It may be a steep initial outlay to play, but if you're serious about learning guitar, this one will put you on the right path, while entertaining you in the process.
  3. Oct 25, 2012
    Those of you who put in the time and effort needed will have a lot to gain from Rocksmith. Not just high scores, but the feeling of actually learning to play an instrument.