Shadow of the Colossus PlayStation 3

8.5

1. Jun 13, 2014
    A Playstation classic for sure.

I'll start by admitting that many gamers may not get into the game but I'd say that it can be appreciated by everyone. Just like how some people can watch a classic movie and understand what makes it great but not enjoy watching it, everyone can play Shadow of the Colossus and see why its hailed as a masterpiece. As most people will describe, its
    A Playstation classic for sure.

As most people will describe, its basically boss battle after boss battle with no smaller battles in between. In my opinion, this sells the game short. If you only gauge a game by it's battles then you're missing the point of this game entirely.

SotC puts you in the position of a wanderer who must save his love from a curse that appears to have put her into some sort of sleep. Each battle won brings us closer to her recovery but at the same time seems to sacrifice something of ourselves.
    The player's journey to each Colossus is a huge part of the game. This is where some people feel bored because they're not engaged by the discovery of the world and finding where the Colossus is essentially hidden. Sometimes they're easy to find, sometimes you can go a while without being able to figure out where they are.
    In some games, you look at your character and say "Why don't you know where to go. You've lived in this world forever you should know more than I do" but you ARE the Wanderer in the game. You are wandering with only the sword's light to guide you to your goal and its not GPS, its a guided direction that may take you to the face of a mountain or to the edge of a cliff. Its your job to figure out how to continue your journey.

The game gives you a simple mechanic and puts hidden features throughout. I don't recall anywhere it telling you that finding yellow fruit in a tree raises your health slighly or that killing and recovering the white tail of a lizard raises your stamina but its there. And guess what, it continues through multiple playthroughs so if you're a trophy hunter, this is a game that rewards that.

That is the biggest point to take away from the game, It will reward you somehow for your discoveries and your journey. Sometimes that reward is a beautiful view, sometimes its simply allowing you to unlock new equipment for the next playthrough. And upon doing so, some colossus change their places so memory doesn't always work in multiple playthroughs although I'll admit if you know where they all could be, you probably wont have much trouble.

Probably one of the biggest undersold parts of the game is the music. No other game has had a song that appropriately matches the excitement on the screen than the 5th colossus fight specifically (for me). Not to get too into that, I'll admit that fight is hard and also one of the more interesting battles to figure out.

This game does take boss battles and amps it to 11. Its not simply finding a weak point and stabbing it. Its getting to that weak point and dealing with the monster itself with it's personality and natural advantages.

If you're still considering buying this game:
    Consider that this game doesn't hold your hand at all.
    That the music is fantastic and environments, while now are dated in visuals, are still some of the most beautiful in design.
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    A freakin' masterpeice to say the LEAST.
    Yes, the camera can be iffy at times, and getting to the colossi is a bit of a hassle, but it's all worth it to hear the heart-rate-raising music, see the gargantuan colossi (redundant, I know), and feel the odd mix of emotions come from delivering the final blow to the colossi.
  3. May 8, 2014
    Few games will give you a short playtime but lasting impression like sotc. Few games will ever be such a masterpiece like this one. You are on an epic journey from start to finish and you never feel less than epic playing this game. It is for its best interest that this game has little story fed to you but rather lets you interpret it mostly the way you want to. An experience that must beFew games will give you a short playtime but lasting impression like sotc. Few games will ever be such a masterpiece like this one. You are on an epic journey from start to finish and you never feel less than epic playing this game. It is for its best interest that this game has little story fed to you but rather lets you interpret it mostly the way you want to. An experience that must be shown to all who enjoy gaming Expand
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    I was very disappointed with this game, especially after how much I enjoyed "ICO". One thing I liked about the game is that the story isn't as subtle or minimalistic as it was in "ICO". I feel like this allowed me to get more involved in the game's world. The scenery here can also be very impressive at times even with the graphical aging that has taken place. I can see why this game isI was very disappointed with this game, especially after how much I enjoyed "ICO". One thing I liked about the game is that the story isn't as subtle or minimalistic as it was in "ICO". I feel like this allowed me to get more involved in the game's world. The scenery here can also be very impressive at times even with the graphical aging that has taken place. I can see why this game is often used in the "are video games art?" debates, but outside of how beautiful and moving the game can be I find the experience to be throwaway. The gameplay really killed the experience for me.

The game is basically a constant stream of huge boss battles that come one after another. There's no enemies to fight in between these boss battles, and that is not a bad thing. I did find one or two of these battles to be particularly thrilling, and the sense of scale of some of the enemies is impressive and intimidating, but overall the battles are either tedious or boring. Some even feel downright broken. It is incredibly satisfying to take down one of these bosses, but often for the wrong reasons.

What really makes the bosses irritating are the controls. Aside from some odd design choices, things just haven't aged well. That being said I do not think the horse controls were ever considered good. The almost constantly draining stamina bar also adds a lot of frustration. The game eventually does get better as it progresses, but that is mostly due to the fact that as you play you will eventually get better with dealing with the controls inconsistencies and the stamina bar will grow. The boss battles aren't actually getting better, they are still stuck in a limbo of mediocrity, but all the issues get easier to deal with.

It's clear I did not really enjoy the game at all, but that's not to say that there aren't some good things here. The puzzles tied to beating these bosses can sometimes be ingenious, and this game gets a lot of respect from me for truly being a good example of video games as art. Overall I can't say that the game is horrible, but I can't bring myself to recommend it. If you simply must play it this downloadable PS3 version is probably the best way to do so thanks to things like trophy support. While I personally did not like the game it is clear that a lot of people do. All I can say is that the game has a lot of issues, both age and design related, so be wary of that if you decide to give this one a shot.
  5. Oct 20, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus, might be one of the best games that i've ever played.
    The game starts presenting you what appears to be a simple objective, slay the sixteen Colossus, that live in this land. It may start looking shallow already, but it starts becoming a lot more complex, and intriguing, as you progress through the game.
    The game carries in between each moment a level of
    Shadow of the Colossus, might be one of the best games that i've ever played.

The game carries in between each moment a level of uniqueness, and symbolism, that not that many games can have while portraying, such a simplistic goal.
    The true appeal of the game begins when you start learning the game mechanics, hold "r1" to grab meanwhile you jump with, "triangle". Sounds simple enough until you start reaching to the point, where you need to think and strategize your jumps according on how much stamina you have.

Stamina starts draining after every basic action where you would think your character is using stamina. When you are underwater, climbing, or fighting, all of those actions drain stamina, your stamina reaches to zero while clinging on the Colossus, you fall and have to start climbing again from the bottom to the top, until you get finish him off, while timing perfectly a nice, and well placed stab, on the top of his head.

All of the sixteen Colossus that you find, while playing throughout the experience, have different sets of, vulnerable points, most of which you will find in the, Colossuses heads.
    Each Colossus feels unique though, every one of them resembles a mythical creature, or an animal, and each one of them, has a different set of strategies, in order for you, (the player), to discover.
    Some of them can be though and cryptic to find out, while some just require you to wait for the Colossus to attack with his weapon, only for you to clinch onto it, others require you to shoot at certain sweet spots, in order for them to finally, be vulnerable, and allow you to climb on top of them.

The problem with, Shadow of the Colossus begins, when you start having to guess each strategy, for all of the sixteen Colossus.
    Some of them require me to force myself into thinking, and i was rewarded for it.
    While others where extremely hard to guess and require me, to go online to find out the way, to beat them.
    I'm not complaining about the fact, that the game doesn't hand me everything on a silver platter, i'm complaining that the game doesn't even give you a flinch in some cases on what to do.

Aside from that each colossus feels unique, and even some of them, make you feel true empathy, after you hurt them.
    The game's ending could also be one of the most powerful ending that i've ever seen on a video game, it's unexpected, tragic, and beautiful, all at once.

With that i leave you to decide, but in my humble opinion, Shadow of the Colossus, defines art in video games, you might not agree with me, but the fact is, that this game had a much more powerful and emotional connection to me, than the vast majority of movies, and music, that you hear, and see this days.
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    A Genuine experience.

While some aspects don't appeal to all (Camera and Controls) the game forgets these flaws and delivers an absolutely brilliant plot packaged with arguably the best boss fights ever seen in videogames, neatly topped with a minimalist art design which immediately impacts the players emotions and continues to throughout. Too repeat myself, the boss fights in this
    A Genuine experience.

Too repeat myself, the boss fights in this game are phenomenal, with an easy 'weak spot exploit' formulae mixed with difficult puzzle based climbing of the massive colossi, the game delivers an experience no gamer is to go without, an experience that truly challenges how you take on these colossi.

Shadow of the Colossus was Re-released on PS3 and to be frank, some adventures are worth taking twice.
  7. Nov 27, 2015
    Shadow of The Colossus
    Magic
    Shadow of the Colossus is an open world action adventure game that starts out with you carrying a lifeless body into a temple. You’re there in hopes of bringing this woman back to life, and are told it is possible, but you must collect the souls of these 16 beasts that roam the land this is one giant world with nothing but boss battles. The open world in
    Shadow of The Colossus
    Magic
    this is one giant world with nothing but boss battles.
    The open world in Shadow of the Colossus is extremely bare compared to what were used to now from games like the witcher 3,
    The landscape is fun to explore and traverse through on your trusty steed but I found it all to be very harsh on my eyes, there are some gorgeous sections of this world, but my eyes for some reason couldn’t adapt, making it all seem like a blur to me.
    In this world there is nothing but save points, lizards that you can kill to increase your grip, and fruit you can eat to increase your health.
    I appreciate the open world, but the stars of the show are the Colossi
    You’re tasked with defeating 1 at a time, you’re given a hint to their location and can hold your sword up to the sun to point in its direction, you aren’t given a mini map, but you can pause to look at your current in game location.
    Once you get to the right location a cut scene introduces your foe.
    Every colossus is different, you’ll fight sloths, turtles, eels, giants, birds, and the list goes on and on.
    They all have a trick to defeating them, no 2 the same. Once you’ve tricked the colossus into a vulnerable position you can then climb it and attack its weak spot with your sword, it sounds easy, but it’s not,
    There is a lot of vertical platforming, but there’s an attempt at realism with your grip. You have to time your attacks and resting perfectly or you risk falling off of the colossus and have to start the climb again.
    Every time you defeat a colossus your grip grows stronger.
    And grabbing has its own command, making the action feel even more immersive, if you let go, your character lets go.
    You’re also given 2 weapons
    Sometimes the colossus needs to be irritated with a bow before it attacks you or you can attack it.
    The game will give you subtle clues if you get stuck, but ultimately the game leaves the problem solving up to you.
    And this isn’t a dig at God of War because I love that game, but I really wish developers should stop copying God of War style bosses and start copying the bosses in Shadow of The Colossus.
    These are the greatest boss battles I’ve experienced in a game period.
    Some of the creatures are massive, and there’s a dash of problem solving and trickery.
    Admittedly some bosses felt like the standard, defeat the games algorithm, but for the most part I felt like I was outsmarting my enemy rather than simply going off of an in game cycle
    Shadow of the Colossus is one of the most immersive games ever and a must play for all.
    For what it is

Action Adventure:
    9.5/10

Overall:9.5/10
  8. Nov 24, 2014
    If I were to actively look for a game worse then this, and I have, I wouldn't find it. It is, without a doubt, an empty game with the same fight repeated sixteen times over and over again. I can't say anything bad about the characters or the story, because there isn't a story or a character in this game. Not only is it a waist of time, but it is also worse then ET, and that game destroyedIf I were to actively look for a game worse then this, and I have, I wouldn't find it. It is, without a doubt, an empty game with the same fight repeated sixteen times over and over again. I can't say anything bad about the characters or the story, because there isn't a story or a character in this game. Not only is it a waist of time, but it is also worse then ET, and that game destroyed the video game industry. I can literally find nothing good about this game. Personally, I think the people who like it are only saying they do because they are pretentious. Unless they like the gameplay, but even then I don't think it's worth playing for more then a fight. And believe me, if you fight the first colossus you're fighting the other fifteen. The game was just lazily developed. The horse is the worst thing about this game. It's nothing more then a Legend of Zelda clone, without any of the things that makes Legend of Zelda good. Take my advise. Don't waist your time playing this game. Play ET instead, at least it isn't activity trying to kill you. Expand
  9. Dec 20, 2012
    An excellent game to play, I would not say it is the best game I have ever played, but, it is good to pass time as well :p I didn't find the camera to be that bad, the camera can be a pain in most games.
  10. Mar 17, 2014
    i found that there wasn't much to this game, it was just running around and killing giant colossi which i found to be a tiny bit bland at times, but still a blast. i loved the story to it and practically the whole game had me on edge, i ended really caring about these characters that were involved. I think Shadow of the Colossus is an AMAZING game and i loved every little bit of it.
  11. Jun 8, 2017
    A lonely and depressing puzzle adventure game which is infinitely better than Ico. It has aged pretty badly, with difficult, clunky controls and pretty average world design. Its 16 boss battles, all of which are similar to one another, equally as frustrating as they are fun. The game took me 6 hours from start to finish.I wholeheartedly believe this game inspired Demons Souls, thusA lonely and depressing puzzle adventure game which is infinitely better than Ico. It has aged pretty badly, with difficult, clunky controls and pretty average world design. Its 16 boss battles, all of which are similar to one another, equally as frustrating as they are fun. The game took me 6 hours from start to finish.I wholeheartedly believe this game inspired Demons Souls, thus leading to the juggernaut that is Dark Souls. There's a story in there somewhere which only gets good after you defeat the 16th Colossus. What I took away from it was a metaphor for mankind being selfish and destroying what they do not understand for their own purposes. Expand
  12. Nov 17, 2014
    I was late to the party on getting a PS3. I finally got one this year, and this is the very first game I bought for it.
    When a game is so good that it makes you want to hold onto it and replay it on your current gen hardware, you know you've got something special.
    The sound. The atmosphere. The lonley feeling. The way the music lifts and ramps up while you fight something so big that its foot fills up your entire screen.. and climb it.
    The plot is simple, and theres hardly any dialogue, but this is the perfect game.
  13. May 29, 2015
    This game is suuuuper super good. A standard by which other games whould be measured its so atmospheric and engaging you cant put it down at all and its super de duper good

Still true but im testing this kind of to see how editing works on this site
  14. Dec 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Frustrating" is the only word for me describing this game. I have played over 100 games on Playstation and it is the first time ever that I gave up on a game. Camera and controls are just awful and riding the horse is the worst I have ever seen. I managed to kill the first two colossi after numerous times falling off, killing blows not or hardly working, etc. But after trying to only reach the third one without any success, I just gave up. First you have to swim, then mount to a platform and then jump. Because of the bad controls the jump is just impossible to make, at least for me. So I could not reach the second platform to try and jump to the colossus. When you fail the jump, you can start swimming and climbing again. And oh yeah, when you stumble and fall you cannot grab the ledge and pull up again (like in Ico), you will go down in the water again. Why some people praise this game is beyond me. A game should be fun to play. This is just frustrating in every aspect. If you are thinking of buying the game, maybe check a few videos out first to make very sure this is what you really want. If you are into s&m, buy it by all means ;-). Expand
  15. Apr 12, 2016
    Este jogo é incrível! Eu recebi e ainda não posso parar de jogar. Os gráficos são tão detalhadas para um game e é desafiador, mas divertido e terá que jogar por horas! A história é complexa e profundamente pensado. O melhor jogo que eu já joguei de forma

There are no critic reviews yet.