Sleeping Dogs PlayStation 3

7.7

1. May 18, 2015
  2. Oct 24, 2014
    I was hoping a lot from this game. good reviews and it used loads of features from other sandbox games and put it into one. the fighting is awesome and you use the environment around you. good and bad mechanics was always good in the games I played and works very well here.
    However I just found the driving complete **** so all the chases in car are a bit arcady. foot chases are good and you get a host of neat little alley ways and places to climb on with actually makes a good chase but the environment after a while looks a little dull and boring(I think that was the atmosphere they were trying to create but hey) and the side missions are good but get really repetitive and that's the best way to sum up this game REPETITIVE. I do like it a lot. cops and robbers. kung fu. but it feels a bit limited compard gta and sr3. the map isn't the biggest as well. if I give a 6 I feel im doing a big injustice but if I give it a 7 I feel it bit too much cas I didn't really make me love it. I mean if u see it cheap for a fiver, have a go. it a good game but I felt it could have been more. oh the story for these sort of free roam games I couldn't give a flying **** its the free roaming aspect I like from these games and well this game was just a little repetitive. still good but not great. to be honest I might give it another go and well that says It all. oh yer I a threw a guy into a tank with a octupuse that face hugged the **** of his face.
  3. Feb 8, 2014
    It's pretty good. The scenery is great and the hand-to-hand combat system is excellent. There's also much to do even after finishing the main story - collecting statues, completing favours, etc. However, certain aspects hinder its potential. The vehicle controls are somewhat clunky, the weapon system is odd, and many features and events in-game seem to contradict the intended realism...
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    Sleeping Dogs 7/10....................................................................................................................................
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto in China was what I expecting. But, the game is different than that. The shooting and driving is terrible. But the hand to hand combat system is great. The story isn't going to win an Oscar but it is more interesting than the GTA games. Overall, I had fun from the game and some glitches made me even have more fun.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    Good game. Not what I thought everyone was saying from reviews. The game IMO just isn't that fun. Just hand to hand combat throughout and can't cause any crazy havoc or anything like that. Good game, but found it boring after a few hours of play.
  7. May 15, 2013
    As a fan of Hong Kong action films and kung-fu flicks, I was excited about Sleeping Dogs. Open-world environment GTA style in Hong Kong instead of the same old stuff in America or the UK, I was totally sold at launch. The game revolves around an undercover cop, Wei Shen (Will Yun Lee) who is tasked to join a local gang to bring down the entire Sun On Yee from the inside. Overtime he growsAs a fan of Hong Kong action films and kung-fu flicks, I was excited about Sleeping Dogs. Open-world environment GTA style in Hong Kong instead of the same old stuff in America or the UK, I was totally sold at launch. The game revolves around an undercover cop, Wei Shen (Will Yun Lee) who is tasked to join a local gang to bring down the entire Sun On Yee from the inside. Overtime he grows attached and the line between his true friends and foes becomes blurry to Wei Shen. Nice idea for a story but how exactly does the game turn out? Let me put it simply, Sleeping Dogs is mediocre at best. Here are the problems: 1) Story is short and feels rushed. The sudden and abrupt ending was an insult to my face. 2) Wei Shen lacks character in terms of looks and personality. Someone random. 3) Shooting gameplay is terrible. Guns don't feel or sound real at all. Shooting from vehicles is boring because it slows time down automatically. 4) Side activities are plenty but are very repetitive and boring. Chasing, arcade style racing, fight bet, street fight, karaoke... 5) Graphics are terrible, facial expressions are missing.....Come on Square Enix! 6) No Multiplayer. 7) Finally, even though Wei Shen climbed his way up the Triad ranks and practically owns a territory and has his own turf, you cannot bring along soldiers to join you in battle, you don't see your gang hanging out in the streets. You can't ask for protection money from stores and street vendors. All in all, I still managed to sink over 20 hours into this game. The story and environment kept me going and I'm glad to have give this game a shot. Just regretted getting it full price on day one. Guys, buy Sleeping Dogs only when there's a big price drop, otherwise there are plenty of better open world games out there... Expand
  8. Mar 11, 2013
    Unconsciously, I was comparing this game with GTA quite often while playing. It's natural, I guess. It has many weaknesses when compared with the referent title, like a simplified driving, or a less detailed and more simplistic city design. But it also has some remarkable strengths, in which it is superior to GTA. The cinematics are amazing, movie-quality. The melee combat is funnier andUnconsciously, I was comparing this game with GTA quite often while playing. It's natural, I guess. It has many weaknesses when compared with the referent title, like a simplified driving, or a less detailed and more simplistic city design. But it also has some remarkable strengths, in which it is superior to GTA. The cinematics are amazing, movie-quality. The melee combat is funnier and with greater possibilities. The brutality of the game, and the strong, tough story line, makes of Sleeping Dogs a solid game. Expand
  9. Feb 14, 2013
    It pains me to give this game a 6/10. Despite enjoying the game's fighting mechanics, i felt there was just too many features, instead of just a few awesome ones. While it at first can seem awesome, later you just wonder why they are here. And when you complete the game, there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO!

The only thing keeping this game from being any worse is the fact that i had so

The only thing keeping this game from being any worse is the fact that i had so much friggin fun with it. I played for hours and i never wanted to stop.

"Sleeping Dogs" gets my 6 out of 10, it's above average. I honestly can't recommend this game at full price.
  10. Jan 28, 2013
    Melee combat and graphics are both very strong. All of the gameplay elements are similar, or quite possibly the same as other AAA titles. That is ultimately the games weakness, as none of the features really stand out. A fun game regardless, but it feels like it could have been a more well-rounded experience.
  11. Dec 5, 2012
    A mostly average open-world game that fails to engage the player. While it does innovate in a few ways, such as the hand-to-hand combat system, overall it's a retread of what you've come to expect from a game like this. Not bad, but not great.
  12. Nov 1, 2012
    I like Sleeping Dogs. But I can also understand why it was initally cancelled. Giant Bomb's review hits it on the head. It has some of the worst problems with open world games without really improving upon them. Where it does succeed is its enjoyable story, its great setting, and the brutal fist-fighting gameplay; a welcome change from the focus on shooting of most Open World games. Wei isI like Sleeping Dogs. But I can also understand why it was initally cancelled. Giant Bomb's review hits it on the head. It has some of the worst problems with open world games without really improving upon them. Where it does succeed is its enjoyable story, its great setting, and the brutal fist-fighting gameplay; a welcome change from the focus on shooting of most Open World games. Wei is also a genuinely likeable and flawed character and its always fun to have an Asian protagonist, somewhat underrepresented in games. It's not as pure fun as something like Saints Row 2 or 3 and it isn't the GTA Killer either. The collectibles and side missions are particularly terrible and not that enjoyable. People criticised Mafia II for having almost no side content and just focusing on the main story; but that was a great story with great missions. You don't need side content to pad out the game if the core is good.

Open world games are often considered too long for a rental, but in this case, if you have a week free and no other games, Sleeping Dogs is a good choice, especially if you love open world games. Otherwise, you're probably not missing out.
  13. Oct 26, 2012
    This game has a lot going for it in the first place - a fun setting, access to adult themes, interesting story (which a lot of it is based on real facts and real gangs in HK [10K is based on 14K, Sun Woo is based on Sun Yee On Triad]

The game is good at everything it tries to do: racing, shooting, martial arts fighting, story telling - but it doesn't exactly shine in any of the aspects. There are games that are better at it in certain aspects, which make them stand out. This game doesn't stand out in anyway except for the fact that it is unique and takes place in HK and obviously caters towards gamers who understand the swearing, culture and setting - to make sense of the entire thing. But, it's still fun for people who do not know a lot about the 'gang culture' in HK.

The voice acting is pretty good as well. I would say the game gets a bit repetitive when you try to do all the side quests. Once you get used to fighting (for example), the game ceased to have any difficulty at all. It's an interesting venture into a setting that not everyone expected - that's too be sure. It should get bonus points for that. I'm sad because the game could have been a lot better...Sequel anyone?
  14. Oct 26, 2012
    I'm sad. It starts off as a love story between me and the game. I love everything about it, the grapichs, the dialogue, the feel. But when I've played for an hour, I realize that this game is going to give me absolutely nothing. If you like driving RC-cars, you're gonna love the driving, because it litterally feels like driving an RC. The fighting is really cool, for 1 hour. EVERYTHING inI'm sad. It starts off as a love story between me and the game. I love everything about it, the grapichs, the dialogue, the feel. But when I've played for an hour, I realize that this game is going to give me absolutely nothing. If you like driving RC-cars, you're gonna love the driving, because it litterally feels like driving an RC. The fighting is really cool, for 1 hour. EVERYTHING in this game is awesome for an hour. But after that its just one long repetition. Expand
  15. Oct 11, 2012
    Why all compare it with GTA? hmmm... Because it is a desperate try of GTA Hong Kong. I enjoyed graphics and the Martial arts. But that's all. If you play it around 4 hours you guess it could be a glitch or Déjà-vu. The Game even and even repeat. run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight,Why all compare it with GTA? hmmm... Because it is a desperate try of GTA Hong Kong. I enjoyed graphics and the Martial arts. But that's all. If you play it around 4 hours you guess it could be a glitch or Déjà-vu. The Game even and even repeat. run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive, run, fight, eat, crack a crate, drive............. And sometimes will there will be no more missions... WOW??? No show down? no big happy end. You just receive a phone call. "bla bla bla bla its done" But never mind. It's a open world game, now you can explore the city and do some fancy stuff... haha or un install the game to keep your disk clean.
    Sorry for this rating. I hope Sleepig Dogs 2 shows us more innovation.
  16. Sep 25, 2012
    Gets old fast. At first, the martial arts fighting keeps you interested, but as the game wears on, you notice that the missions are embarrassingly linear for a sandbox game. The camera-hacking is a joke and seems incomplete, and it has the same problem as every car-based sandbox--there is no incentive to immerse yourself in the character of a neighborhood when you can wiz by it at 90 milesGets old fast. At first, the martial arts fighting keeps you interested, but as the game wears on, you notice that the missions are embarrassingly linear for a sandbox game. The camera-hacking is a joke and seems incomplete, and it has the same problem as every car-based sandbox--there is no incentive to immerse yourself in the character of a neighborhood when you can wiz by it at 90 miles an hour. Collapse
  17. Sep 13, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game, though parts of it could have been more polished, I found it to be a lot of fun overall. Unfortunately not as good as its competition, though comes pretty damn close. The combat system is, although satisfying, not as well executed as Batman: Arkham City. The driving is fun, but not as crazy as Saints Row. The story however, is quite intriguing, and theI thoroughly enjoyed this game, though parts of it could have been more polished, I found it to be a lot of fun overall. Unfortunately not as good as its competition, though comes pretty damn close. The combat system is, although satisfying, not as well executed as Batman: Arkham City. The driving is fun, but not as crazy as Saints Row. The story however, is quite intriguing, and the characters you meet have huge personalities. The soundtrack is just incredible too, and fits perfectly with my musical taste. Lets hope to see more of this franchise in the future, where they possibly have worked most of the kinks out. Expand
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    It feels like GTA (Grand Theft Auto), the only problem is that, it seems like it's GTA for the PS2.
    1. Graphics: Generic and Mediocre. It seems that they didn't put too much effort on the facial expressions.
    2. Combat system: It's okay because there is an interaction with certain objects in the game but it's not as fluid and sophisticated as with other games of the same genre. 3. AI
    3. AI interaction: Pedestrians aren't responsive to specific stimuli. They will just either run away, stay in place or retaliate. So, it's almost terrible.
    4. Environmental interaction: Nothing special as there are only few particular items or objects that would react to a certain action.
    5. Voice acting: It's good but nothing unusual
  19. Aug 26, 2012
    This game is a really good rental at best, but I do not recommend you to buy. I see this game as a warm-up/filler game until all of the AAA titles are released this year.First off during the first story arc of the game, the gameplay was very generic and boring, and I almost gave up and shipped it back to gamefly. Though since I hate not finishing a game, I decided to see it trough (and ImThis game is a really good rental at best, but I do not recommend you to buy. I see this game as a warm-up/filler game until all of the AAA titles are released this year.First off during the first story arc of the game, the gameplay was very generic and boring, and I almost gave up and shipped it back to gamefly. Though since I hate not finishing a game, I decided to see it trough (and Im glad I did). While this game isn't anything we gamers haven't seen before, that doesn't stop it from being fun. The story (while predictable) is very engaging, you start to care about and hate the characters around you(even the one-off girlfriends that come in the main characters life and leave randomly without rhyme or reason). And while the main story is only 16 hours, the missions are long and surprisingly aren't repetitive. The side missions are also well implemented and diverse. My only gripe about this game is that you have to level your face points up just to wear clothes and drive vehicles you already own! But all in all if you have weekend with absolutely no plans what so ever. Then rent sleeping dogs(you'll beat it in 3 days or more) Its a good game too keep you occupied. (Way more fun then Saints Row the Turd IMO).Hopefully they continue this franchise and go balls to the wall in the next installment, because Sleepy Dogs has so much potential to at-least become a trilogy. Expand
  20. Aug 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found it very difficult to have fun with this game. When I play sanbox games, I at least want to be able to complete missions and do other things the way I choose, but the game forces you into melee combat all the time.

Although there are guns in the game, they are very rare to find. When you do find one you can be very powerful. The setting is original, seriously. How many games are actually set in Hong Kong? .... Not much. So it's fresh envrionment, the city doesd actually feel alive as you'll see pedestrians doing things other than walking.

The RPG elements are at first confusing, and sadly limited to level 10 on all experience meters. Which is very lackluster considering the level caps of todays RPG's. This limits replay vaule, and ruins the overall fun, as once you reach the high level there's no real objective to the game, which is story missions.

There are tons of collectables, however only Jade Statues, Helath Shrines and Lockboxes actually reward you. Hacking cameras, and doing drug busts yeild very little if any reward at all, I completed all drug busts in North Point which was by no means an easy task, yet I wasn't even rewarded for this? The Cop missions are shockingly NOT OPTIONAL. Which goes against the whole point of a sandbox game. In order to continue the story you have to complete certain cop missions, which is confusing because these were marketed as being optional, when they are not. Again this goes against it being a sandbox game. Graphically the game does well in some areas, but not in others. The cars and the city looks great, but character models and animations are a mess. Honestly they look like 2006 era graphics. A very lackluster GTA/Saints Row rip off with crap graphics, and less guns.

I gave this game a 6 because the developer "United Front" has never made a game like this before so I am inclined to cut them a little slack.
  21. Aug 26, 2012
    Pretty average all round.The melee can't hold a candle to either Arkhams,the driving is miles off GTA IV,the gunplay is by far the weakest element in what is a mediocre title.Even a story taken from numerous crime movies can't save this travesty.The graphics are so poor that it even makes Saints Row 3 look good.If you're so desperate for an open world GTA clone,then enjoy this as much asPretty average all round.The melee can't hold a candle to either Arkhams,the driving is miles off GTA IV,the gunplay is by far the weakest element in what is a mediocre title.Even a story taken from numerous crime movies can't save this travesty.The graphics are so poor that it even makes Saints Row 3 look good.If you're so desperate for an open world GTA clone,then enjoy this as much as possible while waiting for the King to return. Expand
  22. Aug 23, 2012
    Under cover, and nearly under the radar, both simple to describe, as well as extremely difficult. Sleeping Dogs is one of those games that lands somewhere between the A list and that title you missed from last year, but it indeed belongs closer to the A list. Originally Sleeping Dogs was another True Crime game being developed by Activision under the title True Crime: Hong Kong, but afterUnder cover, and nearly under the radar, both simple to describe, as well as extremely difficult. Sleeping Dogs is one of those games that lands somewhere between the A list and that title you missed from last year, but it indeed belongs closer to the A list. Originally Sleeping Dogs was another True Crime game being developed by Activision under the title True Crime: Hong Kong, but after various ups and downs Activison jumped ship and Square Enix took over and long story short, it was a reason to rejoice. This game may come off as another GTA clone in the vein of Saints Row, Just Cause and countless others and well, it is just that, but what Sleeping Dogs has that the other clones doesn't is a lot of heart, and a lot of courage. It has an identity all its own, and while you wont find helicopters, jet packs, or an endless amount of outrages free roaming chaos, you will find character, believable settings, and a lot of intriguing fun. The story is the tale of an under cover officer in the seedy crime world of Hong Kong working is way through gang territory, while being choked out by the constant stress and suspense that comes with the job. Playing as officer Wei Shen, you work your way through missions for both the police and for the Triad gang. Working your way to the top of the chain you are faced with testing your loyalty, getting too close to gang members, and always wondering if someone is on to you. Watching the story unfold is one of the games highlights as it takes a more serious tone than most games of this nature. While Sleeping Dogs is no where near the size and scope of even GTA: San Andreas you will still find a lot to do as well as finding yourself wanting to often walk instead of run or drive through Hong Kongs crowded streets and alleys. The graphics are nothing to write home about, but they get the job done. The different areas of the city look great, though the population, while realistic in their routines are not much more than low resolution filler with very limited AI. Missions vary and are always fun, they range from silly, to exciting, to action, to mini games, to down right sticky wet violent. Being a mature crime game players are no stranger to violence, but Sleeping Dogs goes a few steps beyond just car wrecks and gun fights. It introduces a mechanic very fresh in the open world genre by means of a great combat system. Copying the homework of the Batman Arkham series it takes a few buttons and meshes them into a deep almost complex style of martial arts, often ending in blood baths. Aside from the bone breaking counters and the Bruce Lee like flat liners there are also environmental kills that are accessible at any point during a fight adding depth and allowing you to fight as dirty as you want. As if great fighting in an open world wasn't enough you can also free fun, jumping tables, rails, building ledges, and even cars and people. You can also tackle, disarm, and melee. Guns are surprisingly rare in favor of bloody hand to hand combat which is refreshing. Driving is a bit peculiar, it is partially arcade feeling, a bit like a racing game, but also feels loose enough to have you at home with your favorite Rockstar titles. Think of Sleeping Dogs as a melting pot of this generations greatest open world achievements but with a few rough edges and just short that extra coat of paint it so obviously deserved. Glitches are not absent but tend to not get in the way too often, and sometimes great ideas fall short by the time you see them to the end. But all in all Sleeping Dogs exceeds far more than fails. It is honestly a great game and just shy of biting the ankles of Rockstar's finest. If you are a fan of open world games, scorseses films, or kung fu movies, then I wholeheartedly encourage you to pick up this flawed but wonderful game. While Hong Kong is not Liberty City there is plenty to keep you busy, enough to where I would say this game is actually worth the full asking price. That is if you plan to carry on with all those extra features. Intriguing but not very surprising, a fun free roam but limited in many ways, a great investment of time though a straight campaign run ends too quickly. It wont live up to GTA IV, but the fix to that is to not expect GTA IV. Do yourself a favor a grab a copy of Sleeping Dogs, and enjoy your journey through the bloodstained streets of Hong Kong. There is nothing here that six more months in development and a couple more hours in middle wouldn't have fixed, so here is hoping to sequels. Thank God Square Enix saw the possibilities in this game. It has personality, heart, its not afraid to borrow, as even less afraid to improve. Activision, I'm afraid you will need to stay after class. Expand
  23. Sep 25, 2012

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    It's hard to imagine, that Activision let this one go. Sleeping Dogs is action packed sandbox shooter, which - in many ways - does things a lot better than GTA. Parkour, shooting and hand to hand combat are wrapped around a stunning virtual version of Hong Kong. The story isn't quite Rockstar, but it keeps the action going. The bar is set for the fifth Grand Theft Auto. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 17, 2012
    Sleeping Dogs will quickly gain the attention of those who enjoy a good open world with infinity of missions to complete.
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 13, 2012
    The reason why we go into so much detail about the fighting system is because we've never seen such deep and expansive mechanics in an open world game. You will fight until your knuckles are covered in blood and still won't have had enough of it. [September 2012, p.72]