7.9

1. CarlosM.
    Aug 1, 2008
    SC IV is amazing. It is exactly what I wanted to work with. A 2 player game that provides a near-perfect competitive environment. The 10 comes from teh fact that this is my favorite genre - by FAR! And that the create-a fighter works extremely well. Also - can you say mild camel toe. How much more realistic do you want it to be?
  2. JordanZ.
    Aug 1, 2008
    great graphics, sound effects, music, and levels. awful game. they changed certain characters like astaroth to the point where they are unrealistically strong. certain moves are a lot harder to pull off like with voldo for instance. the game punishes defensiveness (the fact that you can hit a guy a bunch of times who is defending and end up winning the match). that makes no sense. the great graphics, sound effects, music, and levels. awful game. they changed certain characters like astaroth to the point where they are unrealistically strong. certain moves are a lot harder to pull off like with voldo for instance. the game punishes defensiveness (the fact that you can hit a guy a bunch of times who is defending and end up winning the match). that makes no sense. the whole series is all about realistic fighting. thats not realistic. and yoda. annoying. unnecessary. BRING SOUL CALIBER 2 TO XBOX 360 AND MAKE IT LIVE. PLEASE GOD. Expand
  3. WillHill
    Sep 19, 2008
    The graphics are great and the fighting is also solid. The game though is very slow paced. The story mode is more than lackluster. the whole idea behind the lightsaber not cutting through something and yes i know it's a game. Also the online is pretty terrible for the most part.
  4. Oct 5, 2010
    I have found Soul Calibur IV to be a very disapointing installment of the series. I can only commend the game for it's unique character designs and good online action. I feel the game lacks in variety, the moves and combos are too straight-forward. For a hard-core fan of the SC series, I would recommend renting it, rather than buying it.
  5. Mar 29, 2011
    i did not like this soul calibur game and find that it is the worst in the series. the story like is non existent with the characters and each one only has about 5 battles. i am not sure if it is this way with everyone but i am having a hard time putting combos together with all the characters and find myself just mashing the 3 attack buttons. i loved the 3rd one and wish they had kepti did not like this soul calibur game and find that it is the worst in the series. the story like is non existent with the characters and each one only has about 5 battles. i am not sure if it is this way with everyone but i am having a hard time putting combos together with all the characters and find myself just mashing the 3 attack buttons. i loved the 3rd one and wish they had kept most of what made that game great and at least had more extra features to entertain myself when i dont want to get my a$$ handed to me while playing online. i liked the addition of darth vader and the secret apperntace but unfourtunatly darth vader isnt a very good character since his moves are slow. i find that the controls have a bit of a delay and they never quite do what you want them to. trading this back in for some of my money back Expand
  6. keithrichardson
    Sep 7, 2008
    Good game i dont have it but want to get it i played the demo and the xbox 360 version and thought it was brilliant gud graphics gud controls gud characters my fav characters r Mitsurugi Siegfried and Yoda but Yodas on the 360 version wich sucks but Darth Vader is gud 10
  7. ShamusM.
    Jul 21, 2008
    great game could be better or just as good as metal gear and for ANY GAME TO BE LIKE THAT IS SPECTACULAR AND AMAZING its a must have and and the best game ever other than MGS4.
  8. mikes
    Jul 21, 2008
    Insane game play easily the best if not its rate behind metal gear if you have a PS3 its a game you need.
  9. CervyL.
    Jul 25, 2008
    It takes the Soul Calibur series to a new level. One of the top 5 games for PS3, hands down.
  10. PauloJ.
    Jul 26, 2008
    Nice graphics and gameplay but i juts finished the story mode in 30 minutes!!! i just don´t get it.
  11. RyanH.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Hey meta-idiots, 1up's scale goes to A+, so an A wouldn't be a 100. Math is difficult, I know, but since people insist on giving your site clout the least you could do is show some level of competence.
  12. MatteoG.
    Jul 28, 2008
    it was alwaysa struggle between tekken and this especially since tekken was more well known but this one blows it out of the water unless tekken 6 is unbelievable i think soulcalliber won
    Jul 29, 2008
    I am sick of people rating games unfairly. Grand Theft Auto IV a 100? Talk about a repetitive natured game. What Soul Caliber brings to the table is a well balanced game that any fighter fan can firmly hold for a long time. Game reviewers need to stop being paid off!!!!!
  14. TG
    Jul 30, 2008
    Simply brilliant and the best looking game this generation for either system, period.
  15. DanielS.
    Jul 31, 2008
    besides a bit of lag the game is awesome.. the graphics are amazing.. the music is great though not as memorable as previous versions of this game.. this is THE must have fighter (until Street fighter 4 comes out )
  16. JackH
    Jul 31, 2008
    Okay, firstly Game Daily's review is tragically flawed....lag? what lag? i did a game install from the options menu before i even started playing because i heard it improves performance, i've yet to encounter any lag. The create-a-character is very nice. Being a creative director i can appreciate attention to detail and creativity. CONS: i wish you could edit the face Okay, firstly Game Daily's review is tragically flawed....lag? what lag? i did a game install from the options menu before i even started playing because i heard it improves performance, i've yet to encounter any lag. The create-a-character is very nice. Being a creative director i can appreciate attention to detail and creativity. CONS: i wish you could edit the face moreso...eye shape/angle and jaw structure...the preset faces leave something to be desired. Also, i wish that the stat changes when thinking about changing a piece of gear had a Comparison chart or something. If something says +5 hp and to the right of that you see a red (119%) showing that you are losing the hp benefits of the currently equipped item, then i want to know what the percent was of hp in the previous item...i found myself having to jot down quick notes so i didn't have to remember all the stats of an item. THESE problems are me being nit-picky though. The game in general is quite entertaining. i was especially impressed with the CG-like scenes in the end of story mode while playing as one of your created characters....they were so well rendered. Incredible feet and gorgeous graphics :). I like the fact you can destroy armor, thus revealing additional parts of your character (ex: helm being taken off to now see my character's hair style). If you have even remotely enjoyed any of the past SC games....buy this without hesitation....if not...give it a shot, you'll surely be impressed. Expand
  17. Sonia
    Aug 2, 2008
    Super Dooper kick ass fun.
  18. Mar 2, 2011
    This is a really good addition to the PS3's arsenal of games and variety. Great graphics and sound, heaps of characters to choose from and awesome moves and customisation too. The only thing this game lacks is a real story and a larger amount of cutscenes for different characters. The final boss should not be from 3 characters no matter who you are playing as, but from every characterThis is a really good addition to the PS3's arsenal of games and variety. Great graphics and sound, heaps of characters to choose from and awesome moves and customisation too. The only thing this game lacks is a real story and a larger amount of cutscenes for different characters. The final boss should not be from 3 characters no matter who you are playing as, but from every character available. Still this is a very good game. Expand
  19. May 14, 2011
    SoulCalibur has a huge following and this was the reason I bought this game. I can see the attraction. It's fluid energetic and atmospheric. Maybe I'm not a fan of 3d beat em ups or maybe I'm too lazy to perform the ridiculous combos but I just found myself bored and infuriated. I think If you are into this sort of thing this is perhaps ( level with Tekken) the best game out there. I findSoulCalibur has a huge following and this was the reason I bought this game. I can see the attraction. It's fluid energetic and atmospheric. Maybe I'm not a fan of 3d beat em ups or maybe I'm too lazy to perform the ridiculous combos but I just found myself bored and infuriated. I think If you are into this sort of thing this is perhaps ( level with Tekken) the best game out there. I find 3d beat em ups so different from 2d ones that they fall into a different category . I guess what I'm trying to say is Im not a fan of the genre hence can't review this game fairly. One thing that can be said 3 years later the games graphics still look crisp and beautiful. The gameplay is enjoyable enough but I was bored after 2 days. The last beat em up I really enjoyed was Rocky on the xbox which isnt really a beat em up.....god im confused. Overall I recommend to fans but to noobs it's too taxing to remember the moves and too repetitive to enjoy over a long period of time. Online requires a lot of patience also as the competition is intense ( as to be expected spose) . 7/10. Expand
  20. Jun 22, 2011
    While it is technically the same as the first three games, veterans and newcomers alike can adore the new features in Soulcalibur IV. Pros: The inclusion of Star Wars exclusives, Critical Finishers and online play refreshes the overwhelmingly familiar gameplay; absolutely stunning graphics; drastically improved story mode and Character Creation; a variety of strikingly unique charactersWhile it is technically the same as the first three games, veterans and newcomers alike can adore the new features in Soulcalibur IV. Pros: The inclusion of Star Wars exclusives, Critical Finishers and online play refreshes the overwhelmingly familiar gameplay; absolutely stunning graphics; drastically improved story mode and Character Creation; a variety of strikingly unique characters and combos. Cons: It's almost too familiar to Soulcalibur III; occasional online hiccups; silly dialogue. Expand
  21. Nov 5, 2011
    probably the best fight game I've played on my PS3. Very nice graphics, POWEFRFULL soundtrack and very good online. Darth Vader and Yoda in this game made me want a StarWars fight game like SoulCalibur.
  22. Feb 13, 2012
    soulcalibur IV is an amazing fighting game with great fighting mechanics, amazing music, coolness, a large amount of playable characters and places to battle. it's only problems are that it isn't as good as soulcalibur II and that the fighting system is a bit slow moving.
  23. Feb 28, 2012
    one of my favorite fighting games the music is good the characters are good the fighting is amazing and its just overall great fighting game the only problems are some characters are cheap but other then that this game is good oh and the storyline is lacking but isnt every fighting games story ?
  24. Apr 16, 2014
    Reviewing something so similar to the preceding three games -- and after releases like Super Street Fighter IV -- becomes monotonous. Especially coming from a franchise once treasured in the fighting game genre. Pros? The inclusion of Star Wars exclusives is an excellent concept; the introduction of online mode; stunning graphics; once again, Soulcalibur IV caters to veterans and casualsReviewing something so similar to the preceding three games -- and after releases like Super Street Fighter IV -- becomes monotonous. Especially coming from a franchise once treasured in the fighting game genre. Pros? The inclusion of Star Wars exclusives is an excellent concept; the introduction of online mode; stunning graphics; once again, Soulcalibur IV caters to veterans and casuals with its variety of strikingly unique fighting styles. Cons? Unfortunately, the Star Wars concept is defeated by largely imbalanced fighting mechanics; Critical Finishers, although visually stunning, take too long to reach and are largely unseen outside of multiplayer; lack of replay value; occassional online hiccups; the gameplay is all too familiar and in 2014, it hasn't aged marvelously. Expand

1. Graphically the game is simply jaw dropping. Even with all the graphical masterpieces we have seen recently, Soul Calibur IV stands out on its own.
    Where SC4 really shines, however, is in its character-creation mode. The more you use your custom characters, the more options you unlock -- with a wealth of weapons and armor pieces offering boosts to strength, impact, speed, and more, while certain stat modifiers improve your chances to escape throws or reverse counters.
    An amazingly deep and beautiful fi ghting experience, marred by a couple of unnecessary characters, but essential nonetheless. If the online modes simulate the feeling of a traditional one-onone battle, we’ll be in combat heaven.