Sports Champions PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 7, 2010
7.9

1. Sep 20, 2010
    Sports Champions is a sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that many in the gaming industry panned motion controls as a gimmick that wasn't meant to last. Of course, that was when Nintendo was the only company supporting motion controls. Now in 2010, Sony debuts Sports Champions as the "killer app" for Move. Ultimately, it's their version of WiiSports. I have mixed feelings about theSports Champions is a sign of the times. It wasn't that long ago that many in the gaming industry panned motion controls as a gimmick that wasn't meant to last. Of course, that was when Nintendo was the only company supporting motion controls. Now in 2010, Sony debuts Sports Champions as the "killer app" for Move. Ultimately, it's their version of WiiSports. I have mixed feelings about the title. It definitely shows off Move and what Sony can accomplish with motion on the PS3. Even though the motion controls were as good as WiiMotion Plus and in some cases a little better, at times it did get wonky with erratic movements when the players (myself and my gf) weren't moving much. Also, the number of times you have to calibrate Move for events can grow tiresome. The number of events are limited which is unfortunate but some are truly enjoyable, Bocce and Archery were great fun but Gladiator and Volleyball just weren't as good as they could have been. The trophy support is appreciated as are the LeaderBoards but at the end of the day, Sports Champions just felt like a Wii HD title in PS3 clothing. There just isn't enough content and it just doesn't offer anything beyond what we've already experienced with Nintendo's offerings. Is this the killer app that Move needed to justify the purchase of the controller/eyetoy/attachments? For the cost of admission, no it is not. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    Sports Champions wants to deal against Wii Sport and It succeeds in many ways. Fun mini games, great visuals and smart AI make this game worth to play. It would be more addictive if it would have an online , but fortunately it has a multiplayer. But mini games get boring fast, that's a negative point! (7.3)
  3. Feb 23, 2015
    This game is graphically impressive and the controls feel really responsive but I got really bored of the games after an hour or so. My favorite game was the archery one.
  4. May 18, 2015
  5. Dec 15, 2010
    This sportsgame is a solid compliment to the Move controller. It is very good at demonstrating what the Move controller is capable of. The offerings are varied and creative enough to have something for everyone if being played at a party, but there is also enough unlockable content and progression to the title to give it some good play-through value.
    The games that seems to get played
    The games that seems to get played the most is the Gladiator game and the Archery Game and benefit greatly from having a second Move controller. Both the Archer and Gladiator games have me hoping that we will see an RPG built around these mechanics.
    The Gladiator game is set up a much like a Virtua Fighter type 3D fighting game with weapons and shields. The accuracy of the controls is very impressive to the point that people that weâ

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 13, 2011
    Great party game offers six mini-games to test your skills with PS Move control stick. Lasting fun guaranteed both in solo and in multiplayer modes of play. Lack of online play is inexcusable though. [Issue#197]
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    Sports Champions may seem devoid of personality, but spending some time with it shows that it is a deliberate, well-crafted piece of software. Those who have been waiting for a true realization of the potential of motion control can finally exchange their smoldering torches for florescent pink wands.
  3. Jan 2, 2011
    If nothing else, Sports Champions is perhaps one of the few Move launch titles that showcase the accuracy and potential of PlayStation's Motion controller. Though lacking in many departments, it provides a robust and enjoyable motion-based sports experience.