- Summary: The year is A.D. 2087. In the aftermath of World War III, Earth has been ravaged and the population decimated by a deteriorating environment. The countries that survived have joined together to form the Greater Unified Nations and turned their eyes skyward - to space. Edge Maverick and his childhood friend Reimi Saionji are chosen as pioneer members of the Space Reconnaissance Force, which was created to seek out new worlds beyond the stars. Their ship, the Calnus, takes its place on the lunar launch pad along with four other starships of the first reconnaissance fleet. These ships - humanity’s last hope - blast off one-by-one and sail into the awaiting wormhole that leads to the vast star ocean. And so, Edge and his crew begin their voyage in search of a new haven for humanity...and a second chance. [Square Enix]… Expand
Aug 25, 2010A great game, that should have gotten nothing but the highest of praise. The amount of depth is astounding - the ability/item creation, character progression, interaction with your party members, & the superb real time combat. Yet all the Western press could do was moan about Welch's "annoying voice". I'd much rather be playing this than some superficial garbage like Mass Effect (2). There was a time when depth & non-linearity were appreciated. Honestly, I don't know what's gone wrong with the gaming industry. Sad days.… Expand
MikeL.Feb 14, 2010Great game. Love the story and graphics.
EstebanPMar 1, 2010I'm really enjoying this game. About 30 hours in. I liked Star Ocean Till The End of Time on the PS2 and so it's not really a suprise that I like this. This is an improvement on that title. I was nearly convinced by the average reviews not to buy this game, I'm pleased that I did. If you liked Star Ocean on the PS2 you will adore this version. P.S. The voices are not that bad.… Expand
Dec 3, 2011I do a more complete review here: http://petergamingblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-review-star-ocean-last-hope-ps3.html. But what can I say? Its a decent game. It looks gorgeous, the music is great, the combat is fun, and the broad strokes of the story are quite enjoyable.… Expand
BrettC.Feb 10, 2010This is a solid game, the PS3 port is definitely the definitive version. Any fans of the Star Ocean series or JRPGs will not be disappointed.
Jul 26, 2013I rather liked the game, nothing revolutionary awesome but battle system is pretty good, not super simple like in old Japanese RPGs which is neat as usually it just gets boring with those games in quite short time. story and character interactions could be better though even if they are OK in my book, whole character interaction system is kinda funny. But still everyone won't find them good that's for sure.… Expand
Oct 6, 2013This game has a lot of fails thats I put in bullet to be ease of read:
- Battle mechanics are really the key point of this game. It is dinamic and challenges you on every boss.
- Ok, battle is good, right? But that by the end of the and all bonuses level, if becomes incredible longer and frustrating (I will say this a lot in this review). It tooks around 30 minutes for these battle, this without calculates the retires.
- If the battle is long, so you need items, to survive, right? Forget it, you can keep only 20, that belive me it is not enough.
- For these longer battle you rely a lot in you AI allies, but forget it too. They are so dump to revive you when you need.
- I said "revive you"? Yes, expected to die a lot, really a lot... it is over frustrating, you need most of the time, swap character and revive the other manually. There is no synergy at all.
- Characters are not sympathetic. It doesnt convince you at all and are unlikeable. They way they talk and act doesnt seem real.
- CGs are not that cool, they are simple, with a lot of repetitive moves (like in the space battles).
- The story develops very slowly and even too much. Most of the time you are roaming with a clear go.
- Item creation is a joke. When you need a weapon/item that will help you with a boss, find the components from a enemy loot is a nightmare. Dont expect to create 100% of them. It is too much frustrating.
- Othe point that frustrates a lot, if the distant you need to walk between objectives, sometimes is ship city, but it too far. The game could had planned this to avoid desnecessary waste of time. You will really pass hours walking, if you plan to create items, complete missions, etc.
- Level a character takes too much time. Im saying that, because you will need to swap characters and if you leave one with too behind of the main party, you will have a good pain to level it up.
- Forget it about get 100% (platinum trophie) of this one. It tooks over 500 hours and 3-4 full gameplays. Most of this time is consulming doing redudant gridding to earn battle trophies (kill oponents in special conditions/actions). Have a life and try do it!
* I am a player usual with RPG games that looks to complete 100% when possible.
** all this review is based in a game play of 120 hours.… Expand
- (0 views)