8.4

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Somehow a port ot a ten year old game becomes.......the best game in the PS3 library.

This game was a classic with deep challenging gameplay, a massive adventure, a top-notch story, a great soundtrack, great characters, and the newest edition has dual audio, 720P resolution, and although the battle framerate technically drops from 60fps to 30fps, this actually leads to a smoother
    experience as there is less stutter/slowdown.

If you're an RPG fan, you owe it to yourself to play ToS. It's nothing like the mediocre Xillia or the terrible Graces F, by the way.
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    Such a great JRPG. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles has outstanding graphics - one of its strongest points. The combat is phenomenal, and the adventure element is to die for. I highly recommend it!
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    It has to be said. The original Game Tales of Symphonia is still one of the Best JRPGs of all Time.
    This collection has such a large content for this price...
    ToS 2 is not quite so good, but not too bad either, but simply for the first game on this disc...its just unbelievable good.
    Played it now for nearly 10 hours, and the graphics are not that bad for a HD-Edition :)
  4. Feb 26, 2014
    A good port of a classic JRPG, this bundle, for anyone who is already interested in it, was mainly made for the first game, the original Tales of Symphonia, and not its sequel. But if you never played the Wii-exclusive sequel before, this is a good chance to play it. The original is a classic game and it's what really started the Tales series popularity in the U.S. back when it came out for the Gamecube. While the battle system has been refined over the last few games, it's still very fun and it is a good chance to revisit a game that, at least for myself, I haven't played in years. The graphics are dated, obviously, even with the HD touchup they got. And I personally can't stand the fact that the skits aren't voiced in this game like they started to be in Tales of Vesperia. It can also be a bit hard at times, especially in the early game. You'll need to grind for a bit at the beginning to even stand a chance against some of the early bosses. But this is a classic game that every RPG fan needs to play. And, if you're even a little interested in the sequel, this is the best chance to play that version as well. Expand
  5. Mar 29, 2014
    Mixed, at best.

the GC one, Symphonia, was good and had a good ending... couldn't see why a continuation would make sense and was actually being not too trusting, because, continuation often fails, see all the continuations that already exists in RPG games, more to the point, FF.

But, the continuation for Wii was actually good... to me. Many thought it was pointless or even bad. I'm
    not a die hard fan of the Tales of series of games, I only play them to enjoy and have fun.

So... why a 5? Easy. This particular edition has many problems, frame rate and loading times. for a Ps3 game that is unforgivable, since the Ps3 is obviously better than the GC. And yet, the game suffers from them, meaning, Namco did nothing to this game... aside from porting it. Which isn't good enough. Especially if they want full price for a direct port of a Ps2 game. Advice? Stick with the GC one.
  6. Mar 7, 2014
    Sometimes, well oftentimes, graphics are overrated (e.g., Chrono Trigger). And sometimes a plot is so good you forget the game is 10 years old. I did not play Symphonia on my Gamecube, and if not for this re-release I would have definitely missed out.

Further, you get two games for less than the regular price of one.
  7. Feb 28, 2014
    Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite RPG's of all time but this version isn't what I would consider the definitive version it's decent but not great. The addition of the Japanese Voice track and the revamped graphics are worth the purchase. However there are some things you should know: This is a direct port of the Japanese PS2 Edition and some of it's problems (like decreased framerate) are still intact. This version runs at 30fps instead of the original 60fps this is both a good and bad thing. The good thing is that the game runs without slowdown but the bad thing is that the game looks and feels less fluid than the Gamecube Version it is a bit disappointing especially considering the PS3's hardware. The next issue is the World Map if any of you replayed the Gamecube Version just recently you will notice the movement speed on the World Map is significantly slower than the original this sure to try your patience as it now takes longer to reach towns or dungeons. The new attacks and mystic artes are nice but they don't add up to much in the end. If any of you imported the PS2 Version back in the day one noticeable improvement you may notice is the loading times. The loading times are a lot faster compared to that version they still aren't as quick as they are on the Gamecube but it's a close enough match. the overall port is good for newcomers but if you already have the Gamecube Version then you will probably want to stick with the original game. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2014
    I never played Tales of Symphonia when it originally came out so I decided to give it a chance this time around. I'm a little less than 20 hours in and my experience so far has been very solid. It starts out a little slow but definitely starts to pick up pace the farther in you go. The combat system is very different when compared to a normal JRPG, which will allow this game to be remembered for quite sometime. The only draw back I have found within this game is the voice acting, its rather hit or miss for most people and in my case it is quite awkward. If you never played this game back when it came out I suggest giving it a go, and if you're tight on money, I would recommend just buying the original Tales of Symphonia off of the PSN for $20 cheaper because the secondary story is somewhat lackluster. Expand
  9. May 24, 2014
    As a long time JRPG fan; I had always heard of how good the Tales games were; yet I had never played any of them. After this remaster came out, I decided to correct that situation by starting with Symphonia, one of the most beloved titles in the whole saga. The game did´nt disappoint at all: its a perfect example of what, to me, is the fundamental equation behind any good RPG: an epic story, well-paced and filled with adventure, plus a memorable cast of likable, diverse characters that moves such story forward. Worth mentioning is the tight, highly dynamic and entertaining combat system (battles go quite faster that in your usual "turn-based" RPG), which apparently is a constant for the Tales games. I absolutely recommend this game, to both new and old JPRG fans! Expand
  10. Jul 29, 2014
    A really good RPG series with a great story, varied combat, and beautiful graphics. Really worth all the praise it gets. Dawn of the New World isn't as good, but still great.
  11. Sep 18, 2014
    Don't believe any of the hype or fake reviews, ToS is one of the worst in the series by far - Its plagued with terrible A.I scripts, poor and bland plot points and awful combat that is very unbalanced and tedious. For "new players", they'll either give up really early in the game due to the poorly balanced combat, or the fact you'll get a "game over" a dozen times over until you get a certain "healer" join your party and even then, the gameplay is still extremely difficult until you can master the combat system to a point you can infinity stunlock enemies, without that - expect alot of frustration.

If you can stomach the high difficulty and frustration factor and look beyond ToS major flaws then you could find somewhat of a solid JRPG but beware, this one isn't for the faint-hearted or newbie JRPG player. Expect lots of grinding to over-level boss encounters if you haven't mastered the infinite combos.
  12. Oct 25, 2014
    Sometimes a game looses a well deserved score just for a hater, and no, is not someone with a different opinion, someone may say he hated zelda a link to the past, and thats good, but the game's still a masterpiece no matter what.
    Same happens here, if you LOVE rpgs you simply have to play tales of symphonia, end of story. Great visuals, music, amazing story and the gameplay is not bad at
    all. This game is actually one of the best rpgs since a while, along with xenoblade, last story, and a very few others. I can say is better than all final fantasies in cd format tied with 9 maybe.

So if you didnt played it on the Cube be nice to your videogaming needs and get this, looks even better with the overhaul on the ps3! And has the sequel which is nothing big but is not bad either.
  13. Nov 17, 2014
    I went into this game very excited but than I found out the graphics are only good in towns dungeons and (kind of good) in battles the Overworld looks horrible HORRIBLE!!!! The Menu Design is also horrible I like good Menu Designs. All the characters are short midgets why? Namco why do you have to make them short huh? I knew they would be short I just hate the fact that they're all midgets it seems like a child's game when its not.

I than played Dawn of The New World after Symphonia which has the worst protagonist a video game could ever have so I went back to GameStop returned the game got my money back and brought Arkham Origins which turned out to be a disappointment too than I traded that in and brought Tales of Xillia which was amazing so I'm like hmm maybe I should try Tales of Symphonia again so I got it back. I played it and I found out that this game is actually pretty good.

1. Gameplay - is fun once you learn how to play properly. The Game comes with no manual so thank Namco for that. I brought the game Brand New when I brought it the 2nd time hoping to get a manual but I got nothing.

2. Story - is kind of cliche but very interesting and there are some twists that really got me it made me kind of sad for a little bit and its these kinds of twists that I like which kept me playing the game more and more.

3. Characters - Lloyd is my favorite character than Kratos is my next favorite character Colette is 1 of those cliche characters whose just really nice & stuff but I love her for that however her personality does get annoying sometimes. The other characters aren't that interesting to me Raine & Genis aren't that intriguing. There are other characters but I don't have time to talk about them so.......

4. Soundtrack - I thought the battle theme(Full Force) wasn't really all that, a battle theme is really important in a JRPG because its the song that will play in every battle so if the Battle Theme isn't that good it just says Lame OST but no some Town Themes sound really good Trient Luin & Asgard are good examples I like the Dungeon Theme Song(Search A Seal) and the Songs that plays for Sad Moments(Standing The Pain) and also the Desian Theme Songs

5. Do I recommend this? Depends on you really. I'll go ahead and say its pretty good and worth that $20 you'll end up paying for it plus that pic in the front of the game is beast.

1. Aug 18, 2014
    Symphonia alone is worth the price of admission.
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    After all these years Myst is still a masterpiece, a brilliant game that deserves acclaim. [05/2014, p.73]
  3. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles includes the PlayStation 2 port of Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. With new costumes and new 3D graphics, the story seems so nostalgic.