7.9

1. Aug 19, 2014
    I am a big fan of "Tales of ..." series and I'm glad to see localized version of "Tales of Xillia 2", It`s a realy huge JRPG in its genre. I recommend to all fans of Japanese games. It will give you many hours of interesting gameplay and exciting story.
  2. Aug 29, 2014
    This is your run of the mill good JRPG that has a few things holding it back to keep it from being a classic. Xillia 2 is the sequel to one of the better Tales games in a long time in Tales of Xillia. It introduces two new main characters and brings back all the first games characters as your party members. The two new characters are both really annoying in that one has a voice that willThis is your run of the mill good JRPG that has a few things holding it back to keep it from being a classic. Xillia 2 is the sequel to one of the better Tales games in a long time in Tales of Xillia. It introduces two new main characters and brings back all the first games characters as your party members. The two new characters are both really annoying in that one has a voice that will get on your nerves and another is the silent protagonist except he talks when he wants too. Neither of these characters are great because of that. They should have made the main guy either silent or give him lines. The inbetween stuff with him is quite annoying.
    The story is about what you'd expect from a JRPG at this point. It's not bad but it's not good either. The characters from the old game did a fairly decent job at being backup but it felt like they were an odd third wheel at times. It's like the developers said they wanted to have something new but not too new or it would drive away players from the first game.
    Luckily the game is saved by it's battle system and the music. The battle system is pretty much the same as the first game and that's a great thing. The Tales battle systems have been known for their excellence and it's why I love just going around fighting things sometimes. The music is also great, especially if you have a love for jazz and blues as there is alot of influences in the game from those two genres of music.
    This game is good for what it does and it was a good attempt at making a direct sequel to one of the most popular Tales games of all time. It's not great but it's not bad and an 8/10 is the perfect score for a game like this.
  3. Apr 2, 2015
    May Contain Spoilers

Tales of Xillia 2 is an amazing sequel. Plot - Fractured Dimensions now threaten the World of Elympios and the only one who can destroy them is our hero Ludger Will Kresnik a mostly silent protagonist who sometimes talks and sometimes doesn't. He has an ability known as Chromatus which allows him to destroy Dimensions. If you played Xillia 1 you will be familiar
    May Contain Spoilers

Tales of Xillia 2 is an amazing sequel.

Plot - Fractured Dimensions now threaten the World of Elympios and the only one who can destroy them is our hero Ludger Will Kresnik a mostly silent protagonist who sometimes talks and sometimes doesn't. He has an ability known as Chromatus which allows him to destroy Dimensions. If you played Xillia 1 you will be familiar with the word Kresnik and what it means.

My thoughts On Story - Interesting Satisfying & Entertaining.

~ Characters ~

Ludger - He's pretty cool he owns a cat, can wield 3 weapons, owes a large debt, has an apartment and a crazy brother.

Tsundere Milla - I'm happy to say that she is not the real Milla but she is kind of funny and entertaining. You'll meet and get the normal Milla later on.

Alvin - Alvin is attempting to not be "A big fat liar" like he used to be. In my opinion Alvin is the same except he lies less in this game and he doesn't betray you like he did in the last one like a backstabbing bastard.

Elize - Is exactly the same but now she's less shy.

Rowen - Exactly the same.

Leia - Exactly the same.

Jude - Exactly the same.

Gaius - He is surprisingly funny in this game. Gaius is still the same badass don't worry they didn't change him that much. But it is weird to see the antagonist become the protagonist especially someone as serious as Gaius its his seriousness that makes him funny in skits.

Muzet - Muzet is no longer a crazy psychopath **** she's good now and I like that. Muzet is also hilarious and I love to see her in the skits. I always pictured Muzet as being the protagonist rather then the antagonist like in Xillia 1 so to me this fits perfectly.

Nova - Some people think she's annoying but I like her. Nova is always happy and lively. People hate her because she's in charge of Ludger's huge debt and since she's such a happy little character it makes it seem like she's the one responsible for his debt but its actually Rideaux whose responsible for it. Nova is just doing her job Rideaux is the evil bastard who should get all the hate.

Elle - Now I think she is annoying but sometimes she's a little cute and has a few moments here and there which makes her a tolerable and worthy character for the series.

My Thoughts on Characters - Their amazing.

Gameplay - The Gameplay is mostly the same as the 1st one but it they add alot of new things. The 1st is that Ludger can use 3 weapon types Swords Guns & Hammers which makes him the most fun to use. You also have the addition of 2 new characters Gaius & Muzet. The Lilium Orb has changed to the Allium Orb which is very different from the Lilium Orb however I'll let you find out from the game how it works. The 3rd thing is that Ludger can use Chromatus which is basically his trump card for difficult battles. When your in Chromatus Mode you are invincible and cannot be damaged by any attacks and you can perform large combos and use some amazing attacks.

For other Gameplay related things. Ludger has a large debt to pay and unless he pays this debt he will be unable to travel to certain places which will halt the main story. To pay this debt you'll have to go on item searching missions kill certain monsters and go on Elite Monser Hunting Quests. Each character also has his/her own story which you can do on the sidelines while your paying your debt you also get money for doing some of these stories. 1 thing that might make people mad is that most of the areas in this game are the same from the 1st Xillia but there is some new areas in this game especially in Elympios. 1 thing I forgot to mention is that Ludger can make decisions based on interactions between characters and situational conflicts. It gives you the assumption that these decisions change the story however it does not until the end of the game where your decision can change the endings.

My Thoughts on Gameplay - Love it Love it Love it, I sigh over a few disappointments but I still Love it.

Audio - There is no Dual Audio like there was in Symphonia Chronicles but I don't think you need that because the dub of this game is great. If you liked the dub of Xillia 1 your feelings won't change for this one. There are a few reused tracks in this game and there are alot of new Tracks in this game and Motoi Sakuraba does not disappoint once again he makes an amazing OST.

Graphics - Are exactly the same as Xillia 1.

Replay Value - The meter broke that's how high the replay value is.

Overall - If you loved Xillia 1 buy this right now. If you want to buy this game without having played Xillia 1 I strongly do not recommend it. Play Xillia 1 then play Xillia 2 so you can understand everything. There a few disappointments but overall the Pros outweigh the Cons which makes this yet another Tales Game Masterpiece.
  4. Sep 13, 2014
    An incredible sequel in almost every way except for the fact that 90% of your time is spent in the exact same areas as you explored in the first game. It's not necessarily bad that all of the original zones make a return, but it's just that you spend very little time in new areas. There are 11 or so actual new areas to go to. Besides that, the combat system is back with cool new mechanics,An incredible sequel in almost every way except for the fact that 90% of your time is spent in the exact same areas as you explored in the first game. It's not necessarily bad that all of the original zones make a return, but it's just that you spend very little time in new areas. There are 11 or so actual new areas to go to. Besides that, the combat system is back with cool new mechanics, the story is fairly interesting, there's tons of replay to see the different endings and various outcomes, and the awesome grade system which allows you to purchase interesting perks for additional playthroughs. There are three new playable characters on top of the original cast. Best of all, the game is genuinely funny, and the characters are mostly amusing and likable. Would be a 10/10 if they could have spent more time making new areas. Expand
  5. Aug 20, 2014
    I'm about 10 hours into the game so far and am loving it. The tone is much darker than the first game, and people may be put off by the mostly silent protagonist. That being said, returning cast members soon enter the picture and liven things up. I highly recommend this title to anyone who enjoys the Tales of series, especially those who played the first game.

For those inexperienced

For those inexperienced with the "Tales" series, I would recommend picking up the first game before jumping into this one.
  6. Aug 23, 2014
    ToX2 follows the story of Ludger, a cook thrown into a terrorist attack. During this unexpected event, he will meet Dr. Jude and a little girl asking him to lead her to the land of Canaan so as to find her father. More than a mere sequel, the scenario of ToX2 takes a totally different path, ToX events being only hinted at during sidequests. Therefore, ToX2 looks as new as would be a brandToX2 follows the story of Ludger, a cook thrown into a terrorist attack. During this unexpected event, he will meet Dr. Jude and a little girl asking him to lead her to the land of Canaan so as to find her father. More than a mere sequel, the scenario of ToX2 takes a totally different path, ToX events being only hinted at during sidequests. Therefore, ToX2 looks as new as would be a brand new entry in the series, with rather bizarre additions on the top of it.

Unlucky as always, our poor Ludger quickly ends up indebted. One of your objectives at the beginning of the game will be to lower your debt level. Let’s be honest here, that’s wasn’t interesting in any way : there is no time limit or anything that would put pressure on you and give some intensity to the whole thing. It would have been a plus if the player was perfectly free to reimburse when he wants, also with a little more impact on the story than unlocking new zones. Not only that, but it ends up being nearly as annoying as paying back credit in real life. The girl from the bank asks you money every 5 minutes, sometimes after every fight or every screen or when you find 2 gald on the ground. No big consequence on the general quality of the game, but that’s definitely something we could have done without.

That won’t ruin the pleasure to dive in Xillia’s universe one more time, and especially what has proven to be the most dynamic, the most spectacular, the most intuitive battle system of the series. I could tell you more about it, but it’s all written here. So let’s speak of what changed. First of all, Ludger is played very differently from the other characters : he can equip 3 types of weapons (pistols, hammer and blades) and switch between them in the fight simply by pressing button. The logic is that beyond traditional elemental strengths/ weaknesses, the kind of weapon you’re attacking with has an influence on the efficiency of your assault. That said, I’m not very comfortable with this system because it makes joint attacks harder to trigger. Besides, Ludger has the immense advantage of being able to transform and become more several times more powerful and invincible for a few seconds. This capacity of his is controlled by a gauge that fills fairly quickly, so don’t hold back using it.

I must stress that Gaius and Myuse come to be playable characters in this sequel. Not only were they likable «villains», but they are also incredibly fun to play. Gaius, who reminds me lot of Sephiroth with its long katana, uses a lot of counters and Myuse has to ability to teleport herself behind enemies. Special attacks have been reinforced a lot, so all this brings a breath of fresh air to combat. You can switch between your characters in a fight, but the game decides on your party in main chapters, which is lame. The difficulty can still be switched anytime too, for maximum comfort.

The side parts have been re-tought and enriched. There’s now a clear separation between guild quests (hunting, items to fetch, Giganto monsters, NPC errands) and all your party members’ stories, which are divided in several episodes. Those long parallel scenarios that progress throughout the whole game, give more depth to Xillia’s characters and are different enough from the main story to provide some change of pace. Add to this mini games like searching for all the cats in the game (that you can later use to fetch items, see gameplay video above) and poker like in Tales of Vesperia. There’s even more to do than in Tales of Xillia, which lasted me 70h. A shame every quest is centralized and guided though, it’s more fun when you discover them on the go like in Xillia 1. Also, I was annoyed by the fact that trophy challenges have been made 3 times longer. ToX trophies already weren’t short to obtain, but now it’s become a real pain.

It’s in story-telling that ToX2 completely trenscends its predecessor. While ToX coud feel flat (at least in the first half), ToX2 takes great care in spreading mysteries and keeping suspense at every possible level. The story brings constantly new surprises and number of scenes are as stunning as in Xenoblade for example. The music takes the best of ToX while adding very good melodies, is used in the best possible way. Ludger has no personality of his own (he doesn’t tell anything), which is a deliberate choice to have the player decide on story branches. Even if most of choices you make a little more importance than improving your friend level with your companions, at the end of the game they will decide on which epilogue you will get. The final scene is so emotionally packed that I threw a controller across the room for the first time in my life : I had chosen the «bad» end.

Excluding the indebtment delirium that you’ll forget about very quickly, Tales of Xillia 2 as every quality of a great JRPG. By adding what Xillia lacked when Xillia itself was already exceptional, it easily ranks among the best JRPGs of the PS3 generation.
  7. Aug 23, 2014
    Tales of Xillia 2 is a direct sequel to Tales of Xillia, if you are a fan of the first game, then you will feel right at home with the sequel! If you are a newcomer I suggest if you are in it for the story I highly recommend playing the first one as Tales of Xillia 2 picks off where it left off from the first game ( 1 year later).

The only "kinda bad" thing the game has that may throw

The only "kinda bad" thing the game has that may throw some people off is the debt system, in which you pay incrementally throughout the game to progress through the main story.

However, that is an easy bypass by killing off the 'Elite Jobs" which give you just about what you need to pay off the "next payment" debt to continue the story. Yes they did reuse alot of the areas from the first game, but personally it doesn't bother me as it's all something I have seen before!
  8. Aug 26, 2014
    After enjoying Tales of XIllia I was a bit worried about the sequel, since reaching the same level could prove difficult. Fortunately, Tales of Xillia 2 is a fantastic Tales game and a great sequel, expanding everything good about the first game, improving the combat system in lots of ways, offering a lot of extra activities and a surprisingly deep and emotional story that is veryAfter enjoying Tales of XIllia I was a bit worried about the sequel, since reaching the same level could prove difficult. Fortunately, Tales of Xillia 2 is a fantastic Tales game and a great sequel, expanding everything good about the first game, improving the combat system in lots of ways, offering a lot of extra activities and a surprisingly deep and emotional story that is very different than that found in the first game. This is definitely a game any Tales fan, especially those who enjoyed Xillia, must give a chance. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2014
    Whether you are a fan of the Tales of series or a JRPG fan in general, this is one of the best games in the genre available to PS3 and I definitely recommended buying this game. Crazy fun combat, epic story and lovable characters are just some of the reasons why you should definitely pick up this fantastic sequel.
  10. Aug 25, 2014
    Tales of Xillia was good, but here, they take simply everything and make it better.
    The Map Recycling is the only thing who sucks a little bit, but the rest is simply brilliant.
    I am giving ToX 10 Points simply to counter the Metacritic Score because 75 is by far too less.
    So i would give it 87/100 in my opinion :)
  11. Sep 18, 2014
    Despite the errors, Tales of Xillia 2 improves the bad and the good things in the first Xillia and presenting new cool stuff, which makes him to be a superior sequel.
  12. Jan 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoiler Alert!

I though the first one was so-so but this one did not disappoint! I really loved the battle system, lots of action. I really like the character in the game, the music were alot more memorable than the first title. If there is one thing i dislike about the game is the ending, i absolutely hated it, you have 3 different ending but none end the way you would want, i do not want to sacrifice Elle or Ludger, i want them both to live happy together! We get 2 game to end it that way... the ending music sounded kinda sad just like the ending... This is my favorite Tales of on Playstation.
  13. Aug 19, 2017
    This was the first tales of xilia game I've played. I loved it so much more than final fantasy xiii. it had a more complex battle system than what I'm used to, but totally playable even if you don't get every detail down. during some redundant parts of leveling up and getting jobs done, sometimes I'd put them all on auto so I can do other things, and then I'll control characters during theThis was the first tales of xilia game I've played. I loved it so much more than final fantasy xiii. it had a more complex battle system than what I'm used to, but totally playable even if you don't get every detail down. during some redundant parts of leveling up and getting jobs done, sometimes I'd put them all on auto so I can do other things, and then I'll control characters during the important parts. I love that they give the option to control whichever character, even though I didn't do that. I wasn't really clear on how to use the extractor thing. Overall it's an excellent game that reminded me of how much i love those japanese anime games and has a bonus scene after the credits that you won't want to miss. the way they make you make decision throughout the game, makes you get more attached to the characters, although i don't like how the main character seems to not have as much personality as the others since he doesn't talk as much. I wish i had played the first game first, but even starting with this one was great,. If you're questioning it, just get it. It'll be well worth it. Expand
  14. Oct 25, 2014
    An extremely solid game, this game builds of the mediocre first game and turns it into the next saga of the Tale's series we all know and love. Solid gameplay, and great story, I recommend it.
  15. Dec 16, 2014
    To me, sequels of games are not as interesting as the first game.
    However, Tales of Xillia 2 beat down my expectation of "Wow, it's just another rip or something".
    I was expecting some cheesy follow-up story, but the story is far different from the first game. I really didn't like it at first, the quiet protagonist, then this hole money issue. But as I progressed further into the game,
    To me, sequels of games are not as interesting as the first game.
    I really didn't like it at first, the quiet protagonist, then this hole money issue. But as I progressed further into the game, I laughed, I got annoyed, I got sad, and many tears were shed.
    I fell in love with the game on the second day I got it, and for the next three days I played it on all the free-time I had, and I can assure you, I cried at least 6 times throughout the game. Sometimes, I felt like I was the protagonist- speaking to the screen as if I was actually really there (Yeah sounds like a loser, and well I am trash so..). I had a lot of attachments to the characters throughout the game and I'll be happy to say that this game is probably my favorite game.
  16. Jan 23, 2017
    Diesmal nur kurz. Tales of Xillia 2 ist ein sehr gutes Spiel und ein solides Tales of...

Leider kommt es meiner Meinung nach, genau wie sein Vorgänger, nicht an Tales of Vesperia heran.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2014
    A Japanese style RPG with fast'n'furious real-time combat. There's a lot of stuff to do and nothing deviates too much from the tried and tested Tales of -formula. Maybe it should, though. [Nov 2014]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Oct 29, 2014
    The formula needs an update. [Nov 2014, p.94]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 25, 2014
    The combat system is one of the best features of the series. It has nothing to do with the classic turn-based battles and resemble three-dimensional team fighting. Heroes are free to move around the battlefield, they know how to put the blocks, dodge, and not only execute fierce battle tricks but carrying out deadly team combos. All this looks very spectacular and saves from the boredom in those frequent moments when player runs out of desire for more grinding. Unfortunately local grind is a must – without it one never will be able to kill some bosses. [Nov 2014, p.106]