Test Drive Unlimited 2 PlayStation 3

5.8

1. Feb 13, 2011
    Test Drive Unlimited is an ambitious game that in some respects achieves its mandatory goals of providing a fun and exaggerated experience. Immediately i was alerted by the high sensitivity of the driving mechanics often resulting in erratic driving and many head on collisions. Whilst this can be frustrating with persistent efforts the physics can easily be overcome, bringing into focusTest Drive Unlimited is an ambitious game that in some respects achieves its mandatory goals of providing a fun and exaggerated experience. Immediately i was alerted by the high sensitivity of the driving mechanics often resulting in erratic driving and many head on collisions. Whilst this can be frustrating with persistent efforts the physics can easily be overcome, bringing into focus the enormity of the game and how good it really is. I was pleasantly surprised by the design of the island which by the way is probably the largest virtual world ever. The island emanates prestige and affluence, giving you a sense of power as you cruise along the country roads in a BMW X5 with the windows down absorbing the amazing depth of field and meticulous attention to detail. The graphics are incomparable in some areas of the game, such a buildings which deport you back to the early days of the Ps2. (Good Times) when taking into account the landscape that Eden games have created. The online portion also facilitates further depth in that the island becomes populated with thousands(possibly) of human opponents, which im only too happy to chase down and force them of the road just to establish my superiority. The servers at the moment are not functioning, but im sure this will be resolved so, I wouldnâ Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2011
    Misunderstood game. Usually I would rate a game lower than the critics but I happen to love this game. Could be because I enjoy a traffic/driving simulator over racing simulator. While most racing games has better car details, this one has a lot more road, and details of stuff that matters to me. Traffic, weather, day/night etc. Most games has an invisible wall at the edge of the road. InMisunderstood game. Usually I would rate a game lower than the critics but I happen to love this game. Could be because I enjoy a traffic/driving simulator over racing simulator. While most racing games has better car details, this one has a lot more road, and details of stuff that matters to me. Traffic, weather, day/night etc. Most games has an invisible wall at the edge of the road. In this game, whole Oahu and Ibiza is open. I'd hope for a better physic/collision system, but it doesn't spoil the fun. I general, no other racing games provide a realistic world with progression system like this one. Presentation and story is far from good, but in this game it doesn't matter. It's not an adventure game, it's a driving game - story doesn't mean anything. This game has a great atmosphere, and if I read the review before I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm so glad I pre-paid this game. I'll spend much more time with this game than GT5. I'll easily defend a 9. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2011
    unlike the previous review from Miz3k, I have had no trouble at all playing online, so that was not an issue, maybe its because Im in the UK? Im not sure, but really hasnt been a problem at all.

the game is solid. at first I was disappointed in the graphics, but then I had come straight from GT5, and lets face it all car games look lame after GT5. But after ten days of playing this I can honestly say that at worst the graphics are PS2 sims like, as in the characters are badly animated, really are third rate... but this is a driving game, so I will judge by that genre because at its best this game looks amazing. the sunrise, sunset.. thunder and lightning... just wow! When you first start off you will be looking at the back of your car thinking that it looks rubbish, and its true, the first cars you start off with have nothing great about them, but as you progress throughout the game you will grow to like these graphics a lot, I know I did. seriously I have to ram this down your throats that for what this game offers and the speed of the loading between events, the graphics are really very good.

yes the loading, after the PS3s install its very quick, anyone coming from GT5 will be very happy. loading to the map screen takes a lil longer mainly because its online and it has to calculate EVERYTHING and EVERYONE around you. when you see a lil plane flying across your map, its there in real (game) life.. all those drivers racing around.. you can see them, they're there. this map screen is great, but it just take a small amount of time to fire up.

cars and the driving, this isn't GT5.. this is TDU2. and the driving is a lil unique in the way that if you get used to it then its fine!! a lot of people and winging about the controls, well personally I come from an age that we didn't have driving games that mapped out like you were driving a real car, so guess what!?!?!? I adapt, no seriously.. because its a game, and that is what I can do! lol... controls are fine, just adapt! using the pad is cool, tho Im sure a wheel would be nicer!

the map is huge, both maps are huge!! im tlaking HUGE, with races, events and most importantly as this is a Racing MMO, community racing and interaction is really good and will keep you playing for a long time!!

I could spend days typing here, because whats on offer is rich and deep and well worth it. I would advise anyone to rent before they buy if a little unsure because this isn't the sort of game that I would say you would be crazy if you didn't like, I think you should try it.. but I hope you will like it..

I have given it an 8/10. the fanboy in me at times wants to shell out an 9/10 and the guy in me who is frustrated when I keep failing that race or time trial wants to give it a 7/10.
  4. Feb 13, 2011
    The thing that prompted me to go straight out and buy this game were the bad reviews. While that may sound rather silly, I had a good reason, which was the fact that it sounded like fun, in part because of the bad things about it. Pretty much every negative thing said about this game is true to some extent or another, and the result is absolute hilarity. That, to me, is what makes itThe thing that prompted me to go straight out and buy this game were the bad reviews. While that may sound rather silly, I had a good reason, which was the fact that it sounded like fun, in part because of the bad things about it. Pretty much every negative thing said about this game is true to some extent or another, and the result is absolute hilarity. That, to me, is what makes it so fun. When I'm barrelling down the road at 120 mph for no good reason at all, slip off on a corner, hit a pebble, and flip and fly through the air like an acrobatic crystal meth user, or when I drive a VW Golf to the top of a mountain and hurl it off the other side, or when a group of online players start up an impromptu demolition derby in the middle of a field, it's extremely funny. In the 6 hours I spent playing last night, I laughed out loud more than I ever have at a game. A lot of the people playing online seem to feel the same way, because people were just zooming around, driving off mountains, going offroad and just screwing around, which is exactly what I want the option to do in a multiplayer game; just have fun for no reason at all other than for some laughs. So basically, if you like driving games at all and want something that is just completely crazy and fun, this is for you. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love GT5 and serious racing games of that nature, but sometimes I just want to be silly, and this game is the perfect option for that.

One final note about the car handling: it's not BAD, it's just really STRANGE. I say that because once you get used to the bizarre handling, it's easy to control your car, you just need to remember that the world you exist in in this game is pretty damn weird to begin with, so why would your car handle even the least bit normally? I actually found myself taking advantage of the oddness of it after awhile.

Oh, and the graphics: While pretty terrible at times, they're also absolutely gorgeous at others. Overall I'd call it a pretty good looking game, considering the scope of it.
  5. Apr 13, 2011
    Welcome enjoyment for any open world racing fan. Open world game that tracks your every move you make on the game map on dirt road or pavement. Great scenery to take in game photos of. There are side missions plus single and multiplayer missions. Single player is very repetitive. Multiplayer is much more rich with head to head matches and other fun events to play with your friends. You canWelcome enjoyment for any open world racing fan. Open world game that tracks your every move you make on the game map on dirt road or pavement. Great scenery to take in game photos of. There are side missions plus single and multiplayer missions. Single player is very repetitive. Multiplayer is much more rich with head to head matches and other fun events to play with your friends. You can customize your car with many logos and shapes to choose from. Not a lot of variety of cars to select from in the game but has most major car manufacturers. Customize your character and buy homes to store your cars. Bottom line is the game is a refreshing change from other simulating racing games with the open world concept. I recommend trying this one out gamers. Expand
  6. Feb 8, 2014
    for me one of the best games of 2011! many cars, many modes, much fun, pretty hard sometimes, but it feels so good to win and get the money and your own cars!
  7. Apr 7, 2015
    It had to grow on me but after a while of playing it I fell in love with it! It hits right in the spot between simulation and arcade racer and works really good for me. The open world is huge and nice to explore, the cars look nice and have quiet a amount of details, handling is good and you always feel like you have 100% control of the car. The only thing i disliked is the really stupidIt had to grow on me but after a while of playing it I fell in love with it! It hits right in the spot between simulation and arcade racer and works really good for me. The open world is huge and nice to explore, the cars look nice and have quiet a amount of details, handling is good and you always feel like you have 100% control of the car. The only thing i disliked is the really stupid "racing/gameshow" theme but you can overlook this with no problem. Expand
  8. Oct 10, 2015
    Although the graphics could be better and the driving physics aren't the best, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is a good game. The car choice is excellent, the upgrades are actually useful and the option to buy unlimited houses is cool but some house's interiors are repetitive. But sounds aren't the best and the acting is terrible. But that doesn't matter, this is a good game.
  9. Feb 14, 2011
    I haven't tried the on-line yet but so far the single player experience has been very addictive. Im really enjoying the game and if it had better driving physics and graphics I would have given it a 10. But lets face it GT5 has the best driving physics of any racer in a console and I don't find it any fun any more unlike this game that really makes me loose track of time.
    Definitely
    Definitely recommend it as an arcade racer

1. May 24, 2011
    We were really looking foreward to TDU 2. The controls of the cars and the AI are really poor. Online multiplayer is more offline than online.
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    While not quite a lemon, Test Drive Unlimited 2 proves to share a similar fate to its predecessor in that it possesses a host of flaws under its shiny coat of paint that make for one frustrating ride.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Mar 24, 2011
    The longer you play it, too, the more enjoyment you'll get out of it, but only because you start to accept TDU2's many shortcomings and instead enjoy its endless possibilities. [Apr 2011, p.116]