5.7

1. Feb 27, 2011
    The pros: - Lots to explore and be found. - Amazing changes in weather - Easy to pick up and start playing The bad: - Quite possibly the worst plot and voice acting not just in a racing game but in a video game ever - Really wonky handling that isn't sim or arcade but ends up being frustrating - Buggy online servers that have crashed across all platforms several times since the game was released.

I had high hopes for this game when it was released, but ultimately the steering gets way too touchy in the better cars and you'll spin out in a moment's notice. Not to mention a horribly story and seam bustingly bad lines ("I'm feeling in top form!" being one of my favorites, when you're in a SINGLE PLAYER race!).

This game needed between 3-6 more months in development. As is, it can't hold a candle to the 6 best racing games on the PS3 (in no particular order: Blur, Split/Second, NFS:HP, Modnation Racers and NFS: Shift & GT5)
  2. Feb 11, 2011
    A game that stopped in the time, lacks everything, graphical, game play, history, is a shame that a game with a history , fail in everything, other reviews say this game is beautiful lol , in Ps2 ; xbox, yes , in xbox 360 no , not buy this game , there are more game cars and all are better than this garbage. 1.0
  3. Feb 13, 2011
    Test Drive Unlimited is an ambitious game that in some respects achieves its mandatory goals of providing a fun and exaggerated experience. Immediately i was alerted by the high sensitivity of the driving mechanics often resulting in erratic driving and many head on collisions. Whilst this can be frustrating with persistent efforts the physics can easily be overcome, bringing into focus the enormity of the game and how good it really is. I was pleasantly surprised by the design of the island which by the way is probably the largest virtual world ever. The island emanates prestige and affluence, giving you a sense of power as you cruise along the country roads in a BMW X5 with the windows down absorbing the amazing depth of field and meticulous attention to detail. The graphics are incomparable in some areas of the game, such a buildings which deport you back to the early days of the Ps2. (Good Times) when taking into account the landscape that Eden games have created. The online portion also facilitates further depth in that the island becomes populated with thousands(possibly) of human opponents, which im only too happy to chase down and force them of the road just to establish my superiority. The servers at the moment are not functioning, but im sure this will be resolved so, I wouldnâ Expand
  4. Feb 16, 2011
    Misunderstood game. Usually I would rate a game lower than the critics but I happen to love this game. Could be because I enjoy a traffic/driving simulator over racing simulator. While most racing games has better car details, this one has a lot more road, and details of stuff that matters to me. Traffic, weather, day/night etc. Most games has an invisible wall at the edge of the road. In this game, whole Oahu and Ibiza is open. I'd hope for a better physic/collision system, but it doesn't spoil the fun. I general, no other racing games provide a realistic world with progression system like this one. Presentation and story is far from good, but in this game it doesn't matter. It's not an adventure game, it's a driving game - story doesn't mean anything. This game has a great atmosphere, and if I read the review before I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm so glad I pre-paid this game. I'll spend much more time with this game than GT5. I'll easily defend a 9. Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2011
    unlike the previous review from Miz3k, I have had no trouble at all playing online, so that was not an issue, maybe its because Im in the UK? Im not sure, but really hasnt been a problem at all.

the game is solid. at first I was disappointed in the graphics, but then I had come straight from GT5, and lets face it all car games look lame after GT5. But after ten days of playing this I can
    honestly say that at worst the graphics are PS2 sims like, as in the characters are badly animated, really are third rate... but this is a driving game, so I will judge by that genre because at its best this game looks amazing. the sunrise, sunset.. thunder and lightning... just wow! When you first start off you will be looking at the back of your car thinking that it looks rubbish, and its true, the first cars you start off with have nothing great about them, but as you progress throughout the game you will grow to like these graphics a lot, I know I did. seriously I have to ram this down your throats that for what this game offers and the speed of the loading between events, the graphics are really very good.

yes the loading, after the PS3s install its very quick, anyone coming from GT5 will be very happy. loading to the map screen takes a lil longer mainly because its online and it has to calculate EVERYTHING and EVERYONE around you. when you see a lil plane flying across your map, its there in real (game) life.. all those drivers racing around.. you can see them, they're there. this map screen is great, but it just take a small amount of time to fire up.

cars and the driving, this isn't GT5.. this is TDU2. and the driving is a lil unique in the way that if you get used to it then its fine!! a lot of people and winging about the controls, well personally I come from an age that we didn't have driving games that mapped out like you were driving a real car, so guess what!?!?!? I adapt, no seriously.. because its a game, and that is what I can do! lol... controls are fine, just adapt! using the pad is cool, tho Im sure a wheel would be nicer!

the map is huge, both maps are huge!! im tlaking HUGE, with races, events and most importantly as this is a Racing MMO, community racing and interaction is really good and will keep you playing for a long time!!

I could spend days typing here, because whats on offer is rich and deep and well worth it. I would advise anyone to rent before they buy if a little unsure because this isn't the sort of game that I would say you would be crazy if you didn't like, I think you should try it.. but I hope you will like it..

I have given it an 8/10. the fanboy in me at times wants to shell out an 9/10 and the guy in me who is frustrated when I keep failing that race or time trial wants to give it a 7/10.
  6. Feb 10, 2011
    I am amending my review which was at first a 7. I'm changing it to a 1 because they at least took they time to print, package and put it on the shelves, that took a little effort I guess, so they get a 1 for trying. This is a videogame only in the most basic sense. It is now day 3 after release and still no online, in a game that is primarily an online game. Inexcusable. When we asked about the connectivity issues on the official site one too many times they closed the thread so they didn't have to listen to us any more. Sorry to inconvenience you guys, we're only trying to play the game we paid our hard-earned cash for. I guess the reduced $49.99 price point should have gave us some sort of hint as to what kind of quality to expect. Buyer beware! Not only is it a Massively Multi-player-less Offline Racing Game, but little else works properly either. Terrible graphics, I think the first actually looked better. Handling is still terrible, supposedly this was an issue from the first game they allegedly fixed. Only two radio stations, both with horrible music and no option to use your own soundtrack. Items you own sometimes appear in-game and sometimes they don't ( cars, clothing, etc.). These issues should have been ironed out pre-release. The game is simply broken. There are so many problems with this game, and I didn't even bother listing all of them, just those I thought were major. They should have invested a little in play-testing before release, instead of letting us pay $50 to find all the problems for them. So not only did they skip a very important step, they made us do it, and then charged us for it. They may fix this game, but the damage has been done. I won't be buying anything from this developer ever again, and I'm sure many other people will agree. Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2011
    The thing that prompted me to go straight out and buy this game were the bad reviews. While that may sound rather silly, I had a good reason, which was the fact that it sounded like fun, in part because of the bad things about it. Pretty much every negative thing said about this game is true to some extent or another, and the result is absolute hilarity. That, to me, is what makes it so fun. When I'm barrelling down the road at 120 mph for no good reason at all, slip off on a corner, hit a pebble, and flip and fly through the air like an acrobatic crystal meth user, or when I drive a VW Golf to the top of a mountain and hurl it off the other side, or when a group of online players start up an impromptu demolition derby in the middle of a field, it's extremely funny. In the 6 hours I spent playing last night, I laughed out loud more than I ever have at a game. A lot of the people playing online seem to feel the same way, because people were just zooming around, driving off mountains, going offroad and just screwing around, which is exactly what I want the option to do in a multiplayer game; just have fun for no reason at all other than for some laughs. So basically, if you like driving games at all and want something that is just completely crazy and fun, this is for you. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love GT5 and serious racing games of that nature, but sometimes I just want to be silly, and this game is the perfect option for that.

One final note about the car handling: it's not BAD, it's just really STRANGE. I say that because once you get used to the bizarre handling, it's easy to control your car, you just need to remember that the world you exist in in this game is pretty damn weird to begin with, so why would your car handle even the least bit normally? I actually found myself taking advantage of the oddness of it after awhile.

Oh, and the graphics: While pretty terrible at times, they're also absolutely gorgeous at others. Overall I'd call it a pretty good looking game, considering the scope of it.
  8. Feb 13, 2011
    Well at the beginning I was like everyone, I hated it. The graphics aren't incredible, the handling is **** and the servers aren't working. As I've progressed I'm now in Hawaii, I have 4 houses and I'm currently finishing the Ibiza Cup. I've sunk probably 15-20 hours into this game and it's getting a lot better. I'm pissed at the devs for not having servers up which eliminates a lot of the game but I just found out that I have a gaming guarantee on this game which means I can trade it in within a week for the trade in value of what I paid ($50). That makes me like the game more lol, I'm just going to put the $50 on need for speed shift 2. I'd like to keep the game but I think by the time my week is up (friday), I'll have beaten all the main story and the servers probably still won't be up. Anyways back to the review. There really is quite a bit that you can do and I haven't even touched decorating my house. The scenes are pretty cool in the cool even though the graphics aren't breathtaking. The trophies are pretty stupid for this game as they force you to do stupid things but there have been worse trophies. I'd buy the game because it's a good price and it's deep but hold off for a month until Atari gets their **** together and fixes the servers. I can't wait for the club portion of this game. This game will make you rage at time but overall it's a good game, it just had some bugs and was poorly constructed. The ideas are there but they just don't come together great right now but the problems are nothing that a patch can't fix. Pros:
    Game concept
    Cool cars
    Scenery
    Depth
    Exciting to win events (not just, oh I won an event, it's actually fun)
    Price

Cons:
    Kinda cheesy voice acting but not terrible
    Online is non existent Atari seem to be ignoring the community
    Graphics
    Handling is **** in the beginning (bit of a learning curve)

Final Verdict:
    Buy the game in a month when everything gets sorted out. Until then, enjoy Dead Space 2, LittleBigPlanet 2 (awesome game) and Killzone 3 when it comes out.
  9. Feb 21, 2011
    What a waste of money! I have both a ps3 and an xbox 360, i had TDU1 on the 360 but i orderd TDU2 on the PS3 and i sold it 2 weeks before the release date thats how bad it is. I thought that TDU1 was really good so i was looking forward to this, if your thinking of getting this READ MY REVIEW! The graphics are baddddddddd worse then playing a few ps2 or even ps1 games NO JOKE

the handling of the cars just WTF>? the story is a joke, a bum gets offered to drive a £250k supercar to see if he is any good at driving and from there its like a really REALLY bad GTA. I am sorry to even mention grand theft auto on this game review, but i think this is the same company who are making the new driver so i might stay far away from it.

a 4-5 year wait for a game that is 4-5 years BEHIND the first game. nearley as bad as the 5 year wait for alan wake's 6 hour story.
  10. Jun 2, 2013
    I bought it when it first came out but back then I didn't get beyond the first license and cup. 2 years later I decided to at least play through the main championships and get some easy trophy's and I have to say, it's a shame I left it sitting there for so long. I thought about giving it an 8 but that's probably overdoing it. The fun factor of this game is great but there's a few major deal breakers if I'm being honest.

The music being of the first things that annoyed me. At first I liked the radio stations with the really random commercials but there's only 2 stations and after like 2 hours they go on loop. Considering the time to platinum this game is well over 100 hours that's just ridiculous. I understand it takes budget to add these kind things to games but they should 've just allowed players to import their own music.

But the sound issues I could 've dealt with. The thing that really pisses me off about this game is the really awful servers. I know I'm playing this game 2 years after the game released and Eden studio's has been closed since but still... sometimes there's no problems at all and connecting to your friends is a breeze, other times no matter what you do, you just cannot get into the same session. For a racing game placing itself into the "social racer" subcategory you really cannot allow your servers to be this dodgy.

Regardless of all the errors... anyone that calls themselves a fan of race games should have played this game. It's unlike any other racing game out there.
  11. Feb 22, 2011
    I'll start with what they have right. Its a big game with lots to do. It hasnt crashed or froze on me yet. Some of the music is ok, and everyone has different tastes there. The commercials are absolutely horrible and too loud. Right away, I noticed how dated the cars and road look. Really makes me appreciate NFS series more. All the time to make this game, couldnt they make the cars look any nicer? The mountains look nice, thats about it. The features outside of driving look and feel too much like a sims game, and thats not my style. Most of the on road multiplayer challenges say "cannot connect to server", which was down whole first week completely. Game runs kinda laggy. It says I have 8 people around me max, yet I can check my map and find as many as 60. Maybe that explains the lag. Special areas have challenges made by other players. Thousands of extra races. I thought wow great. Each usually has an entry fee, sometimes several thousand dollars. I found the tracks made by people have checkpoints in the middle of nowhere, or fail to pay you anything even if you post the best time. Major glitch there. I had a race I paid $5k fee, won it top time with my name on it, was supposed to get $10k, and got $0. Of course, it took the entry fee from me. So I'm pretty much broke now, and having trouble finding races I can enter early in the game with my junk starter cars. Im having alot of trouble finding the upgrade shops. No chance competing online with level 0 upgrades against level 3 and 4. The game should have been delayed further to change the graphics engine, it looks like a ps2 game mostly. The online should have been up from day 1, and still needs repairs. it makes me regret prepaying, buying a new release at full price, and not waiting for a used copy when game patches have been released. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2011
    I haven't tried the on-line yet but so far the single player experience has been very addictive. Im really enjoying the game and if it had better driving physics and graphics I would have given it a 10. But lets face it GT5 has the best driving physics of any racer in a console and I don't find it any fun any more unlike this game that really makes me loose track of time.
    Definitely
    recommend it as an arcade racer Expand
  13. Mar 4, 2011
    First of all, i am a huge fan of TDU 1, never mind that it's 4 years old. It had a lot of great cars, it was simple, the missions were fun, the best the ones with models. Now the new game, where to begin. I don't like the menus, and the new level system, the story is stupid and unnecesary. There are just a few classic cars left, that's a big shame, they were a special experience i miss them alot in this game. And the stupid car washes. bottom line is, they had a great thing here and they crapped on it. there are again no porsche's and no BMW's whay is that? Why did they make TDU 2 a game for retards? Expand
  14. Apr 13, 2011
    Welcome enjoyment for any open world racing fan. Open world game that tracks your every move you make on the game map on dirt road or pavement. Great scenery to take in game photos of. There are side missions plus single and multiplayer missions. Single player is very repetitive. Multiplayer is much more rich with head to head matches and other fun events to play with your friends. You can customize your car with many logos and shapes to choose from. Not a lot of variety of cars to select from in the game but has most major car manufacturers. Customize your character and buy homes to store your cars. Bottom line is the game is a refreshing change from other simulating racing games with the open world concept. I recommend trying this one out gamers. Expand
  15. May 4, 2011
    test drive unlimited 2 is one of the worst open world driving games ever made very poor graphics boring gameplay driving is just horrible twitchy as hell avatars that you choose are lifeless douches horrible cut scences and voice acting boring races cars cant drive over bushes seriously it also has game breaking bugs i got stuck in a endless void i cant believe i wasted my money on this crap
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    The best adjectives I can use for describing this game are: boring and anonymous: yes, there are two BIG islands and a lot of cars (and a lot to do), but I got tired of this game after 5 hours of playing; for many reasons, firstly I hate the gameplay of TDU 2: driving the car is very very annoying (have you in mind how it's enjoying to drive in "Driver San Francisco", well, in TDU 2 it's completely the opposite). The other deep problem of this game is how the same is technically realized (for which I'd give the game a 2 out 10), only licensed cars are good to look at. Nothing to complain about the music (even though it becomes repetitive after a few time) as well as longevity.This game has a lot to offer, but that is offered in a very bad way. Expand
  17. Apr 14, 2012
    After initially completing what could be described as the career part of the game, I had a figure of seven out of ten for this game - looks nice enough, good range of cars but lacks story, handling is weird and I've heard numerous woeful tales regarding the online servers. However, after playing a little more, this game has left me completely empty. It was a strange sensation - I looked at my Bugatti gleaming in the sun and suddenly felt like a void. I'd amassed a selection of cars in a stunning mansion - the dream of a glassy eyed, middle class person such as myself. But after considering how vacuous and loathesome the characters were in this game, I couldn't help but be slightly repulsed by the materiality of this game and how it had manipulated me into becoming greedy for more cars and houses . Many have poked fun at the voice acting - but I think it's spot on - these playboy jet set types probably all look and sound just like they do in TDU2. To that end, I cannot help but feel repulsed by the fact that I possess any material ambitions after seeing what these characters are like - I know they are not real, but there are people like that in this world - and I do not want any part of it. Suddenly I feel as though wealth and possession leave those who have them devoid of any substance or worth. I may be being a little histrionic here, but this game has taught me to be content with what I have, and to enjoy my own wealth consisting of friends, family and passions. Thanks TDU2, you've changed my outlook on life. Expand
  18. Jan 13, 2013
    This is really embarrassing for me. After reviewing some good solid games today, I decided to come to this one. This game took a turn for the worse, and I thought it would be good. The mechanics of the driving in this game are screwed up, it gets somewhat irritating whenever you turn your vehicle and it makes it like the car doesn't make marks or anything, it just turns. Although the feature of the windows coming down, and you being able to fire up cars in a shop is cool, the game itself lacked terribly. The driver coarse challenges also got irritating when I tried to do it nearly twenty times, and failed at it dramatically on every one. I gave up on this game and decided it wasn't for me. I just can't continue to play a game that just isn't realistic. If you want a real driving game, go to my Driver: San Francisco review, that game is much better and is continuing to do good. Expand
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    for me one of the best games of 2011! many cars, many modes, much fun, pretty hard sometimes, but it feels so good to win and get the money and your own cars!
  20. Feb 13, 2011

1. May 24, 2011
    We were really looking foreward to TDU 2. The controls of the cars and the AI are really poor. Online multiplayer is more offline than online.
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    While not quite a lemon, Test Drive Unlimited 2 proves to share a similar fate to its predecessor in that it possesses a host of flaws under its shiny coat of paint that make for one frustrating ride.
  3. The longer you play it, too, the more enjoyment you'll get out of it, but only because you start to accept TDU2's many shortcomings and instead enjoy its endless possibilities. [Apr 2011, p.116]