6.3

1. Dec 6, 2011
    As most of the owners of Skyrim on PS3 i rushed to buy the game on its release date, i played without any problems the first two weeks, 41 hours total. After that the game was literally a slideshow! Patch 1.2 came up, didn´t fix the lag at all and the game is unplayable. I rushed to the forums, and surprise!! everyone on the PS3 having the same issue, it's really a majorAs most of the owners of Skyrim on PS3 i rushed to buy the game on its release date, i played without any problems the first two weeks, 41 hours total. After that the game was literally a slideshow! Patch 1.2 came up, didn´t fix the lag at all and the game is unplayable. I rushed to the forums, and surprise!! everyone on the PS3 having the same issue, it's really a major problem. I give the game a 0 score because you can´t play the game at all once the lag comes. I hope Bethesda fix this problem, but it is a shame that they released Skyrim with this HUGE problem, there is no way that Bethesda did not know about the lag before release. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2011
    Game is broken. The longer you play, the worse it gets. Rumors going around that the PS3 version can not be 100% fixed, even through patches. Avoid. Buy the PC version, and PS3 and Xbox are broken.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game works for a week. When you get deep into quests and storyline PS3 just can't handle all the data. Then the GAME GET'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY. Lag, low fps and freezes the ps3 on about 5% of the loading screens, forcing you tu reset the console.

Sony, you should demand this guys.

Bad move Bethesda.
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    The PS3 version is virtually unplayable after your save file reaches a certain size. Lag, huge frame rate drops, quest breaking glitches, game breaking glitches, and did I mention lag? And it's a shame, too. The game could be a masterpiece if it worked.
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    A masterpiece, unfortunately as seems to be normal these days the PS3 version is a complete mess. Want to play it, but the experience is just too frustrating with appalling lag, game breaking bugs. Hopefully it will get fixed but i wont hold my breath. Would be 10/10, in the current state its 0/10 and AVOID IT.
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is completely broken. Shame on Bethesda for releasing this clearly unfinished game. Go buy Batman or Uncharted or something that was actually completed before launch.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    Products are not meant to be sold with the intention of 'making it better in the long run'. Either a game is suitable for public use, or it needs more time in development and testing. The video games industry is the only place in the world where a product can be sold incomplete or faulty, with the caveat 'it's ok, we'll patch it'. For a while now, people have accepted this to be the case,Products are not meant to be sold with the intention of 'making it better in the long run'. Either a game is suitable for public use, or it needs more time in development and testing. The video games industry is the only place in the world where a product can be sold incomplete or faulty, with the caveat 'it's ok, we'll patch it'. For a while now, people have accepted this to be the case, minor errors can be amended and tightened, that's fine. Skyrim, for me, and it would seem a massive percentage (and let's say it's just 30%, although I believe it to be higher, but that is still unacceptable) gets to a point where it is near unplayable, or completely so. My copy is currently sat on the floor in a box following a rage quit, and I'll not be playing it again until it is fixed.

Were the game to run perfectly, it would almost certainly be a 10 (from my early experiences, and my Fallout style occasional glitching early on). It doesn't run perfectly. It doesn't actually run. If I were to sell someone a blank blu-ray and tell them it's the greatest game ever, but they can't play it until I've patched it, it would warrant a score of zero and no more. Skyrim for me is completely unplayable, and for that reason, I am giving it a zero.
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    I have personally enjoyed this game, that is until recently. When I heard all of the horrific stories of frame-rates and complete crashes, I thought, wow, these people are being hypercritical. Upon playing the game more, I have started to slowly experience these game breaking problems. I think that Bethesda has made a wonderful game and I cant wait to really delve into the world of Skyrim,I have personally enjoyed this game, that is until recently. When I heard all of the horrific stories of frame-rates and complete crashes, I thought, wow, these people are being hypercritical. Upon playing the game more, I have started to slowly experience these game breaking problems. I think that Bethesda has made a wonderful game and I cant wait to really delve into the world of Skyrim, but alas until a proper fix is in place, that will have to wait. On the brighter side of things, what I did experience were great visuals and breathtaking landscapes. There doesn't seem to be much variety in the enemy category, however, the fighting and magic skills seem tight and responsive. There isn't a vast depth to the crafting system or the marriage system for that matter which will disappoint in the end. Overall, there is a great game waiting to be played, however long it takes to have it properly fixed. If you have not purchased the game as of yet, wait for a while and pay attention to forums and blogs to stay informed of future fixes. Expand
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    this is a potentially a great game but as of now this game is broken on the PS3, the game starts out good but as you get farther into and log more hours the game becomes slower and begins to lag, and all that time you invested was for nothing, as of now this game is broken!
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Having played both Xbox 360 (92 hours), and PS3 (48 hours) I can personally confirm that the lag issue is so extreme Skyrim is virtually unplayable. At first around the 40 hour mark it began as a stutter..then when I started killing a dragon on a mountain it began to lag a bit harder. Saved, restarted, seemed to help. Now logging back in, travelled to Riften..unable to walk in the townHaving played both Xbox 360 (92 hours), and PS3 (48 hours) I can personally confirm that the lag issue is so extreme Skyrim is virtually unplayable. At first around the 40 hour mark it began as a stutter..then when I started killing a dragon on a mountain it began to lag a bit harder. Saved, restarted, seemed to help. Now logging back in, travelled to Riften..unable to walk in the town without extreme slowdown. Only one ONE occasion did I ever have slow down on the 360 and i've doubled the play time and it hasn't happened again. It may, but right now it hasn't.

The game is broken and unplayable on PS3. I feel terribly sorry for PS3 owners who picked this up. Bethesda messed up. Zero score. No regrets.
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    I really, really wish I could give this game a better score than this. I wanted Skyrim to be one of the best games I've ever played. I even wanted it to give me a better experience than Oblivion, but I simply cannot bring myself to say so. Sure, Skyrim has all the potential to be an amazing game, there's an expansive world with hundreds of quests and hours upon hours of gameplay. There's aI really, really wish I could give this game a better score than this. I wanted Skyrim to be one of the best games I've ever played. I even wanted it to give me a better experience than Oblivion, but I simply cannot bring myself to say so. Sure, Skyrim has all the potential to be an amazing game, there's an expansive world with hundreds of quests and hours upon hours of gameplay. There's a fantastic skill system that changes based upon your playstyle. There's even a magnificent sense of wonder and excitement exploring the world itself. I want to love this game for all of these an more, but there's just one issue; this is a half-finished game on the PS3. Bethesda really, really dropped the ball on this one. While Skyrim is an ambitious, detailed world with hours of fun packed inside, what use is all of the content when I am screwed out of said enjoyment by a horrendous framerate and numerous, numerous bugs and glitches. I bought this game on midnight release, and for the first 20 hours of gameplay I was just spellbound by the numerous activities and decisions made available to me. This was to be my Game of the Year...until the framerate began to shudder at every turn. "Okay, maybe it's just from playing too much today." I would say, and shut off my system to come back the next day. And sure, the game would run fine for about three hours...and then the framerate would take another dump.
    From there it only progressively got worse as my save file increased from 5 Mb, to 6, to 7...as of now it's reached a massive 12 Mb in size and I can only go about an hour before the framerate chugs along from merely walking to the next town. It's inexcusable, and highly unprofessional that Bethesda gave absolutely no effort in programming Skyrim properly for the PS3 hardware. Sure, they released another patch to deal with the "occasional framerate issues," but all it did was postpone the lag for another hour before it would set in once more, forcing a reset of my system. Apart from the lag, now even more issues such as unfinishable quests and backwards-flying dragons have plagued the game, forcing me to abandon my 90+ hour playthrough altogether. If my story hasn't already given you a good idea of what can be expected of the PS3 Skyrim experience, then you are truly delusional. What Bethesda has done is treated the PS3 fanbase as second-class citizens, and have dodged the real core of the issue altogether by downplaying such a severe issue as "occasional" or only experienced by the "minority of players". This is wholly unprofessional, and proof therefore of a company that really doesn't appear to care about its fanbase at all.
    I really have enjoyed my time with Skyrim, and I truly want to love this game and recommend it to every single one of my friends, but with all of the glitches and bugs found on the PS3 version, I simply cannot recommend the purchase of this game until the issues are fixed (if ever).
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    What starts off as an epic adventure as advertised quickly becomes an exercise in patience as constant framerate drops and input lag plague the game a handful of hours into your play session. Unless you like playing the first 1/5 of every game and then restart, this is not for you.

It's unfortunate, but Bethesda gets a 2 for this as it stands now. Until patched, the game is unplayable.
  13. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is unplayable and NOT FIT TO BE ON SHELVES!

Logically, the issue cannot be exclusively hardware â
  14. Dec 6, 2011
    DONT BUY THIS GAME!!!!!the game is broken, after you reach 6 mb in save file the game starts to lagg, after 8 mb you cant do nothing because the lag is so bad you cant play the game...DO NOT BUY this game
  15. Dec 6, 2011
    What started as an amazing adventure turned into a nightmare after my save file exceeded 8MB. Donâ
  16. Dec 6, 2011
    Unplayable frame rate issues. Game is unusable after 30 hours play. Save your money and buy something else. Check the forums on bethsoft for information. you never know, they might break a habit and fix it.
  17. Dec 6, 2011
    Ditto. Bethesda is selling a broken game to people for $60 + tax. Do not be the next one to be swindled. Very Disappointing. The lag and frame rate issues on the PS3 render the game unplayable for everyone at a certain point; Shame on Bethesda.
  18. Dec 6, 2011
    Horrible. Just, horrible. Here I was enjoying what seemed to be a masterpiece in gaming, then I hit the 60 hrs mark, and slowly but surely the lag became more and more pronounced. I can live with all the other bugs: the flying mammoths, the inability to finish certain quests, the game freezing, etc. But this single digit fps is unbearable! Do yourself a favor and avoid this game untilHorrible. Just, horrible. Here I was enjoying what seemed to be a masterpiece in gaming, then I hit the 60 hrs mark, and slowly but surely the lag became more and more pronounced. I can live with all the other bugs: the flying mammoths, the inability to finish certain quests, the game freezing, etc. But this single digit fps is unbearable! Do yourself a favor and avoid this game until a patch comes out to resolve this issue. You don't want to be like the rest of us who paid $60 and are unable to get a full refund. Save yourselves the headache and SKIP THIS GAME!!!!

BTW: It shows clueless these gaming websites are when they just give this game 90+ scores. Did they just play it for a few hours and then judged it?! Great journalism guys.
  19. Dec 6, 2011
    Fix the lag and shadows and this would be a) 7.fix the quests etc and it's a 9. Fix the interface (horrible) and it's a 8.5

He lag is getting lots of publicity but there are also other fundamental issues. The questlines are short often tedious. Game balance could be better, especially for magic lovers. Npc interactions have taken significant steps back. The interface is a piece of junk. Can't even sort items and switching during combat using the favorites menu is clunky at best.
  20. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is amazing. I've put well over 60 hours into it, which equates to more than an hour of game time per dollar. That's a lot of value when you consider the 10-20 hours that most games give. And to top it off, I'm no where near finished with the game.

The game is beautiful, the music is beautiful, and the game play is a blast. I pre-ordered this game and brought it home at

The game is beautiful, the music is beautiful, and the game play is a blast.

I pre-ordered this game and brought it home at midnight, and haven't regretted it once, well, except for all the time I've put into it that I could have been doing school work.
  21. Dec 6, 2011
    Unfortunate that I have to give my most anticipated game of this year a 2. Why does it get such a terrible score? Because after your save file grows between 7mb-8mb+ the game becomes completely unplayable. Why not give it a 0 then? Because this game is still amazing and I got an amazing 40 hours out of it and I thought that should count for something.
  22. Dec 6, 2011
    Game would be great if it weren't completely broken. Bethesda flat out lied to all PS3 users when they said that Playstation 3 version is getting a lot of attention.
  23. Dec 6, 2011
    This review is for the PS3 version only, and I would strongly suggest that if you have the option, you purchase any other version of this game. The PS3 version is broken and we're waiting on a patch to fix a lag problem that makes the game unplayable after extended play.
  24. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim = the game with two faces. For the first 20-40 hours of gameplay, it seems generally fine with some bugs and glitches here and there, and then, the lag hits. The further your character progresses, the less time it takes for game-breaking lag to occur. Your followers start to go haywire, sometimes following you, sometimes deciding to hide in trees. Summoned creatures get in your waySkyrim = the game with two faces. For the first 20-40 hours of gameplay, it seems generally fine with some bugs and glitches here and there, and then, the lag hits. The further your character progresses, the less time it takes for game-breaking lag to occur. Your followers start to go haywire, sometimes following you, sometimes deciding to hide in trees. Summoned creatures get in your way while in dungeons and won't let you pass, forcing you to kill them. The perks system is really unbalanced: you have perks that aren't worth messing with at all and then perks that really eventually make your character too powerful and the game too easy on the normal (adept) difficulty level. Horses disappear and re-appear at will while riding through the mountains. I've experienced dead dragons move into one of the stormcloak camps, nowhere near where it was originally killed. After about 30 hours of gameplay, I decided to start leveling up my pickpocket skills, but guess what? Despite me never stealing or getting caught by various NPCs, the game constantly tells me I've already been caught trying to steal from each and every one. Thinking this was a problem with my save game, I loaded up several previous save game files, and it was messed up on all of them. Bethesda tech support may tell you to clear the cache, or they may tell you to delete and reinstall game data, which in a lot of cases, creates 'double dragon' syndrome, where two or more dragons can fly around and attack at any given time. Patch 1.02 created dragons that fly backwards, get stuck in the mountains, and ones that are apparently invincible. Virtually every quest in the game can be broken, including the main quest, making this a game that may not be able to be beaten for some. A game that can not be beaten deserves a score of zero, but I'm giving this a score of a 3, because the actual game design, for the most part, is pretty good. I'm done with this game until it can be fixed (which according to bethesda will NOT be fixed in the 1.03 patch). Mods at the official bethesda forums have told people to let bethesda enjoy their holiday and stop harping on them, a 31 day holiday that no one else in the country takes and not to expect anything until January. Expand
  25. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim, a world that is broken & truly flawed.
    Skyrim, a world that is broken & truly flawed.
    If you are a PS3 owner I cannot recommend that you buy this game, the sheer amount of bugs, glitches & very poor programing from developer Bethesda simply destroy what could have been an amazing game. DO NOT believe the hype & inflated critic reviews, believe the gamers who forked out there hard earned cash, who actually played the game & found it to be unplayable...
  26. Dec 6, 2011
    The only reason I gave this a one is because I love the story and the lore. I wanted to give this game a higher score, but the state of the PS3 version is disappointing and completely unacceptable. I did not expect to be playing a $60 slideshow with music. I understand that the PS3 is a harder platform to develop for and a completely bug free game is pretty much impossible, but thatThe only reason I gave this a one is because I love the story and the lore. I wanted to give this game a higher score, but the state of the PS3 version is disappointing and completely unacceptable. I did not expect to be playing a $60 slideshow with music. I understand that the PS3 is a harder platform to develop for and a completely bug free game is pretty much impossible, but that doesn't mean you release a game that has this type of game breaking bug. Frankly, I feel like I've been ripped off. Expand
  27. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is amazing. The graphics are good, and it's a lot of fun to play. I see a lot of people complaining about problems with the PS3 version, but I haven't seen most of it. My game started to stutter after 60 hours and a 9mb+ save file, and the patch fixed it. It's froze once in the whole time I've been playing, and I haven't had any broken quests or NPC's. The combat is a a lot ofThis game is amazing. The graphics are good, and it's a lot of fun to play. I see a lot of people complaining about problems with the PS3 version, but I haven't seen most of it. My game started to stutter after 60 hours and a 9mb+ save file, and the patch fixed it. It's froze once in the whole time I've been playing, and I haven't had any broken quests or NPC's. The combat is a a lot of fun, I love having magic in one hand and a sword in the other. Expand
  28. Dec 6, 2011
    ***Skyrim becomes unplayable on PS3 after a certain amount of time, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME ON PS3***

This game becomes unplayable after your save reaches a certain size. What hurts the most is that this punishes the players who spend the most time on this game by making it unplayable. I wanted to love this game. It was beautiful. It was epic. It was breathtaking. Unfortunately the only

I wanted to love this game. It was beautiful. It was epic. It was breathtaking. Unfortunately the only breath it takes now is roars of rage from my lungs through constant crashing and fear of burnout on my 1 month old ps3. Because of the way it was designed, Skyrim slowly degrades until it no longer works. Lag, slowdown of frame rate, 10 minute load screens, disappearing NPCs and near constant crashes are only the tip of the ice burg of what this game becomes at the 40+ hour mark.

Any game that becomes unplayable because of developer fault deserves a score of 0. For shame to Bethesda for releasing a broken game. You can't play it, you can't enjoy it, it becomes a blank disc.
  29. Dec 6, 2011
    Out of all the ps3 games I have ever owned this has giving me the most anger, to which I feel the only score that can be represents it is 0.......how can the multiple other games that are released on the ps3 platform work so flawless (yes I know its a big open world) but surly this should have been tested before release and be found all the game breaking bugs (my ps3 has frozen up on moreOut of all the ps3 games I have ever owned this has giving me the most anger, to which I feel the only score that can be represents it is 0.......how can the multiple other games that are released on the ps3 platform work so flawless (yes I know its a big open world) but surly this should have been tested before release and be found all the game breaking bugs (my ps3 has frozen up on more than 10 occasion's in the past 2 weeks) the quest's are bugged that the user could get so far into the game and not progress any further...the framrate drop (from what it began very smooth) to a jerky mess...excuse the next paragraph but caps lock is needed...ahem HOW CAN A PUBLISHER/DEVELOPER RELEASE WHAT IS CLEARLY A *&^&^%$$ PIECE OF %^$$£@$ IS THEIR NOT TESTER'S FOR THIS???? HOW DO SO MANY GAME SITES AND MAGAZINES GIVE SO HIGH SCORES????WHO IS PAYING WHO HERE????.....deep breath.......Their is no denying that the game (when it works) is great but to give it anything higher than a 0 would be misleading to give something that is broken anything higher....which this game is clearly....now i must go and chase that backward flying dragon ffs grrrrrrrrrr Expand
  30. Dec 6, 2011
    DONT BUY THIS GAME!!! the game is broken, after you reach 6 mb in save file the game starts to lagg, after 8 mb you cant do nothing because the lag is so bad you cant play the game. the devopers dont even give us aswers and the historial of games is a mess. if you are thinking in buying this , DONT DO IT

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]