6.2

1. Jan 20, 2014
    Most overated game ever.

NPCs were dull and wooden, i felt no empathy for any of them. Their dialogue was repetitive and boring.. definitely need to hire more voice actors next time. Their actions were repetitive and unrealistic, my biggest complaint about this game is constantly being brought back to reality by poor AI programming. The beautiful graphics & design ( yes this is an
    amazing game to look at) that immersed you into this fantasy world were undone by the inane robots that moved and slided about the place like thunderbird puppets.

The storylines were lack lustre.. I just didn't care. Sometimes less is more Bethesda, dont cram so much in and sharpen your core themes. This game had huge potential but was executed averagely.
  2. Nov 14, 2011
    Initially I was very excited & was ready to make Skyrim my all time favourite game. As time went on however, I became more & more disillusioned. The good - world looks awesome, up to a point ( the bad below); defeating your 1st dragon feels awesome; character customisation allows you to create the character you want; soooo much you can choose to do.
    The bad - combat is as bad as morrowind
    & oblivion, with no lock on it's too hit & miss; creatures in the world do not stand out enough & you often can't see anyone/even when the hud is saying you've been detected; after playing for a while the darker textures started to strobe like lightning! in towns, often 2 or 3 characters will be speaking to you at once, often repeating same dialogue ova & ova (particularly annoying wen trying to follow 1 quest conversation in the middle of it all); often the quests you are given just get you killed, & with no indication as to what's appropriate for your character's level it can get very frustrating.
    My biggest beef however is, once again, I can't play the character I want. I want to be a hunter, sneaking up on animals & taking them down with a single bowshot. This can work if you see the creature 1st. However, in caves & dungeons or where there's multiple enemies such a opcharacter gets swarmed & killed too easily. Ditto, sneaking around hunting. Too often I ran into a bear or saber tooth tiger & was killed in seconds.
    Too many of the problems that plagued Oblivion remain. I hope they get it right next time.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    At the time I'm writing this review, the PS3 copy is borderline broken. While you can enjoy the rich, epic experience that is Skyrim for the first dozen or so hours of gameplay, eventually you're going to run into the dreaded FPS lag glitch that is plaguing all PS3 owners. Bethesda have still not fixed this problem and until they do fix it, which is not looking like anytime in the near future, this game is pretty much impossible to recommend to anyone who is thinking of buying it on this console. You expect a fair amount of bugs and glitches with a large, open world RPG such as this, but the type of bug that reduces your framerate to single digits after 30 minutes of playtime is something that just isn't acceptable. It's a damn shame too because this is a game you're going to LOVE spending time with, but after a few hours deep in, your console is going to punish you for it.

If these problems didn't exist, this game is worth easily a 9 or a 10 and some people claim they've never run into these problems. But all the talk of it crashing hard drives and causing constant lock ups will pretty quickly remind you that you're playing russian roulette with your system. So if you're like me you're probably going to end up trading your copy in for the PC or 360 version, which isn't without its fair share of problems, but isn't going to make mince of your processor.

Here's hoping Bethesda fix the problem soon, before they earn more negative reviews.
  4. Nov 12, 2011
    Definitely the disappointment of the year, Skyrim is essentially Fallout 3 with dragons and swords. The entire UI - from button layout (triangle is JUMP, select is "wait how long?"), down to the O button calling up your PIP Boy (er, in this case it's just your menu - which works exactly the same way and is even in THE SAME FONT AS FALLOUT 3 - is all pulled from Oblivion & Bethesda's post-apocalyptic title from 2008. What's worse, the graphics have not improved from Fallout 3's slow-loading textures and chintzy facial-animations. Truly, I was shocked given how much buzz had been generated about this game... shocked, followed by a feeling of being ripped-off as I'd spent full-price on this dud. Granted, I've only played the first several hours... so it could be that the plot gets amazing in the later levels; but I don't think I'm going to be able to put up with much more of the glitches, cheesy script and sad character animations. For example, the grizzly bear in the beginning of the game? Well, it doesn't so much "walk" as it does "float in a weird circle" without moving its legs entirely. Me and my mates were sitting with out jaws dropped... this is the last time I trust Bethesda on their word. Then again, all the reviews seemed to be so glowing and favorable.... I must admit it makes me wonder how much advertising has had to do with influencing these undeserved scores.Here's the thing, if I were a little kid who only was able to get like 3 games a year from mom and dad, yeah, I think I'd probably dig this game a lot more (and be super-defensive about it sucking, thereby giving it a 10 on Metacritic), because it's huge and in that sense, worth one's money. But I'm an adult. I buy pretty much every new game I want, which is at least a few a month. I bought Rage. I bought Dark Souls. Having had those recent experiences (not to mention Uncharted 3 and Arkham City), Skyrim just feels super-antiquated and, well... sad. It's just a sad, sad title. You know what hurt the most? My roommate who doesn't even play video games was able to casually walk past me whilst playing Skyrim and immediately assessed it's mediocrity. "What's that... that's not your new game is it?" he said. Yes, yeah... that's Skyrim. "Eew, really? It looks like Fallout." I **** you not... even the uninitiated can smell the fecal pile that is Skyrim's tiredness. I'm just glad I can at least trade in Skyrim for the bulk of my money in time for Saints Row III. So much for a weekend learning Dragon Shouts. :-( Here's a shout for you "SKYRIM SUCKS!"â Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2013
    Skyrim on the PS3 is held back by its technical issues. At launch Skyrim was unplayable for a lot of PS3 users, but most reviews didn't take this into account since the lag only kicked in after several hours of play.

Patch 1.9 took care of some of the performance issues a year later but many are still there, including stuttering and low framerates in some areas. There's not much point
    in creating a huge world full of interesting quests if technical issues make it unplayable.

Bethesda said before release that the PS3 version was "getting lots of attention" and that the old issues had been fixed because it was running on a new engine. Looking back on it now it doesn't seem like this was true. Hopefully Bethesda will take more care with their future games on PS3 and PS4.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    Another incomplete game for mature gamers on pc's. The ui and textures are messy. It feels like this stuff can't possibly take long to resolve, but hey, I'm not a programmer. And yes, if a review uses the word streamlined regarding the level-up system, you can pretty much translate as "dumbed down for marketing" -If you catch my drift. Thanks gaming industry, for the 3 highly praised flaming turds we've received this year on pc. Not gonna lump this in with bf and mw because I love the sandbox style and it's really similar to oblivion, but the bugs and UI need serious fixing. It's really unnerving to feel like you've been had on your platform, and that's all I've gotten the past two months. Expand
  7. Dec 5, 2011
    Seemingly fun game, but absolutely horrible on PS3.

I've played roughly ~100 of the PS3 version, multiple characters, maxing out around 45, various save file sizes ranging from 3500 KB to 15000 KB.

Bethesda released a product that was not ready for the PS3 system; they knew full well that it was a flawed product, yet they choose to release it anyway and let the casual user beta (or alpha
    in this case) test their game.

A quick glance at the Official Forums and you will find a thread title "Unofficial Bug List".....with THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of bugs listed. And this is only in the PS3 section (note: most of these probably carry over to the other platforms as well)...

Issues aside (and they are borderline gamebreaking issues), the game itself is a decent open world RPG-lite. There are many improvements over Oblivion, however, sadly there are MANY steps BACKWARDS.

The game world itself is incredibly detailed visually and the overall aesthetic is LEAGUES beyond anything in Oblivion; however, the game falls flat on its face with portraying a living breathing world. It feels empty and dead. Yes, NPCs wander around, do various tasks, repeat dialogue lines 100000000s of times; however, the world itself never changes, there are no impacts to your actions, no feedback at all. Instead you are left with this beautiful world that just feels EMPTY.

There are a myriad of other issues, ranging from lack of distinct items (armor, weapons, etc), to a poorly designed "talent" tree system, poor decision making system, poor UI, lack of enemy variety, poor "scaling" system, improved dungeons....that still feel the same after the 100th time you've been inside one, etc.

The game could be a fairly solid 7/10 with minor bugs (not those experienced on the PS3 version), bugs that could easily be patched out given enough time/effort by the devs; however, with the performance issues included.....the game drops way down to a 4/10, as it becomes unplayable after you reach a certain save file size.
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    Good graphics, good story, good sounds, big beautiful world to explore.. but that's pretty much it. That's why I give it a 4. This review is an honest one, and I'm not even taking into consideration the amount of game breaking bugs and frame rate issues this game has. The gameplay, combat system, level design, Artificial Intelligence and User Interface are all mediocre or average at best. I do not understand how such an average game can get scored 9 and 10 by supposedly professional and impartial reviewers. Especially when a game like New Vegas, who was much better than Skyrim in every possible way (except for graphics) was scored only 8. That doesn't make sense to me. Has the game industry really sunken so low, that we consider appearances and quantity more important than gameplay and quality? Now with all that said I will say that Skyrim is still fun to play.. when it works properly that is. That is why I strongly suggest you get it on Xbox360 or PC instead of PS3. But even then, I do not believe that this game deserves the title of GOTY. That is an absolute insult to all the other developers who designed much better games this year. Expand
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    This review is for the PS3 version only, and I would strongly suggest that if you have the option, you purchase any other version of this game. The PS3 version is broken and we're waiting on a patch to fix a lag problem that makes the game unplayable after extended play.
  10. Dec 7, 2011
    Skyrim is a beautiful game, full of fantastic vista's and well voiced characters with depth and emotion. The UI is a joy, devoid of any distraction to the enjoyment of the game and the music carries you along on the adventures you'll have.

Then you lag and stutter and eventually your beloved PS3 says enough is enough and crashes. Once you start having to check your HDD for errors after
    playing the game, you quickly decide not to risk it and instead go play something else.

Skyrim really should have been a 10 from me, but the issues surrounding the lag and broken quests which can so easily infect your save game meaning that 40 hrs of game play is down the drain means I simply cannot say it is fit for purpose.

4 out of 10 is all I can give it and even then I think that is misleading, as you cannot complete the game nor explore most of it without encountering the issues noted above.
  11. Dec 7, 2011
    It's a bitter disappointment that I'm having to give Skyrim a negative review. For the first 30 or so hours of gameplay my time in this game's world was one of the most entertaining I've ever had on a console. The openness of the world was simply amazing. For nearly all of that play time I had barely even touched the main quest. I simply wandered the countryside and completed side quests as I discovered them. I enjoyed the character building system, beautiful graphics and engrossing dungeon delving. Sadly after about 30 hours the framerate starting dropping. At first it was only a small annoyance but as my game time approached the 50 hour mark it got to the point that walking through a town was nearly impossible around 30 minutes after starting a new game session. The game would stutter so badly that it would actually pause for a few seconds at a time. Rebooting the PS3 resolves the issue temporarily, but after about 30 minutes it happens all over again. Bethesda released patch 1.2 which was supposed to resolve the issue and I have to say that it did make it better. I can now go about 45 minutes to an hour before the stuttering makes the game unplayable again. Unfortunately since patch 1.2 the game will now randomly crash with a hard freeze at any time. I've now stopped playing the game because of the frustration losing progress every time the game freezes. I hope to revisit it again in the future after the technical issues have been resolved. At this point I can not recommend playing this on the PS3 in its current state. Expand
  12. Dec 9, 2011
    I'm very disappointed in this game. It bothers me that this'll probably get GOTY, because this is the exact type of disregard for the gamer that we shouldn't be encouraging.

I'll start with the good. If you liked Oblivion, this game is better in all aspects. The archery is great, sneaking is pretty fun, it looks very pretty. The attention to detail is fantastic, you'll go into caves or
    tombs and enemies will talk to each other, and often with unique conversations- you don't feel like you're going into 'bandit cave 54' after a couple side quests- your first time into any dungeon will usually feel like a unique experience.

The bad now- melee combat is clunky, far behind industry norms. It feels like you're a drunkard swinging around a club even if you're using a short sword. Magic is decent, if limited in what you can do with it, but again, awkward to use- 2hd weapons are even worse. You'll spend half your play time teleporting from place to place at the whims of quest givers if you're looking for trophies in particular.

Now for the awful. I feel like I'm being very generous giving this game a 6- but, this game could have been an 8 even with the poor combat system, just because of the sheer scope. To start out, I found the bugs amusing. Backwards flying dragons (admittedly annoying because even if killed, they wouldn't drop), flying mammoths, falling through the ground- these are things I can get a chuckle out of. The overwhelming loading screens made my teeth grind, but, I put up with ME elevators, so I could handle that too. Guild questlines becoming unfinishable due to a bug- THAT is unacceptable. The first time it happened, I was mad- lots of time down the drain, and I wasn't expecting it and my auto saves had already overwritten each other from going through doors trying to find the quest giver (before checking online to find out this was just a bug). The second and third time it happened on guild quests (ie- meaning, for trophies, and pretty much the 'main' sidequests), I was getting pissed off- gamebreaking bugs on sidequests? Fine, I don't care, they don't get tested as much, they don't mean much, I'm ok with that. But unfinishable bugs on this guild quest... then that one... then again, and again, and again- NO, come on! TEST THE MAIN QUESTS FFS!!! And while apparantly PC and XBOX didn't seem to have as much trouble with the lag, everywhere I checked for info on glitches- they DID have those issues too. I've played alot of big games on ps3- dark souls, fall out 3... I've also played and beaten New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, and let me tell you, Skyrim makes Obsidian look like the gods of polishing games in comparison- I've never had lag before, the total number of crashes in the two years I've had a ps3 is way less then the crashes just in Skyrim, and I've never had so many glitches in a game, period.

Frankly, my opinion of Bethesda was that they release a broken game and let the fans finish it with modding- that sure hasn't changed now, and I will never be buying a game at release from this company again if this is the kind of rushed polish they're going to give on bug finding.

6/10, 8/10 if they fix all the bug and the lag issues, maybe 6.5/10 for the lagfree PC/XBOX since they do still have the glitches.
  13. Dec 23, 2011
    Got to agree with most people, fantastic game and value 150 hours so far, but someone needs to be taken out an shot, simple as that, whoever yeah just release it with all the bugs etc. Kill him!!! Cause that what I felt like doing every time it crashes.
  14. Jun 1, 2012
    Severely dated combat mechanics (and I by dated we're talking by about a decade) hamper this game so much that for all it's good points (namely nearly everything else) it's not enjoyable to play.
  15. Sep 21, 2012
    Fun and addictive, awesome and amazing....until you start hearing the same voice actor for the gazzillion time, to kill Blood dragons and die to no-point super overpowered random bandits, killing your own allies over and over with no posibility to revive them and to finally save for that sweet extra strong equipment and still getting killed in 3 hits.

Lag, Freezes,you never get the
    feeling of getting stronger and the PC version getting mods and tons of support, is making Skyrim for the Ps3 an useless junk. Expand
  16. Jun 15, 2014
    Even if I ignored the extreme framerate issues, Skyrim would still be a huge disappointment when compared to the previous Oblivion. Just about all of the gameplay mechanics that made that game outstanding have been outright taken away or extremely dumbed down. For example, even though it was somewhat confusing for some players, in Oblivion you had total control over you character's attributes, allowing you to create a superhuman character with maxed out health, speed, magic, and so on. In Skyrim however, you are now forced to choose between an increase of only health, stamina, and magic at each level up, which makes it impossible to create a "jack of all trades" character. This, combined with the addition of a fatigue meter which prevents you from sprinting indefinitely may be more realistic, but it's nowhere near as much fun. Hell, you can't even jump in this game! In addition, the fighting in general has been watered down severely. In terms of weapon combat, you no longer have the flashy directional power moves which you could use to disarm and stagger enemies, and in general the sword fighting just feels slow and clunky. This is even more detrimental because you can't sprint in all directions, which makes it virtually impossible to tactically move around to the side or rear of enemies during a battle.

The story has also taken a dramatic fall from grace. Quest lines such as the Mages and Thieves guilds are short and bare bones with no real surprises, and once completed, they leave you with almost nothing interesting to really show for it. I can't even recall a single NPC ever mentioning my new status as leader of these factions. In fact, NPCs never really have any interesting tales or conversations amongst themselves, making the world feel even less lively than it's predecessor, even with the expanded roster of voice actors.

In closing, I think that if Skyrim had been developed as a PC game first and then ported to consoles, many of these new design choices wouldn't have been introduced. But since the younger generation PS3 and Xbox owner were more of a primary focus this time around, many sacrifices had to be made, and a lot of the magic was lost in the process.
  17. Oct 2, 2013
    BROKEN.That is all you can really say about skyrim on the ps3....now to be honest it is a really good game it's so big and so open so much for you to do in this great world....FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS then it starts lagging and crashing (witch can f*ck up your ps3) there is a reason why this isnt a 0.Because they did actually patch after many f*cking months but its still lagging a hell of alot.I cant rate this game higher on the playstation. Expand
  18. Dec 11, 2011
    I'm not that far into the game, maybe 12 hours or so. The only problem I have had so far is the game freezing quite a bit on me. I don't doubt the problems others are having with the ps3 version, as I have that version too. I'm not playing the game anymore until I know that the majority of the problems are fixed since my game kept freezing and causing me to do a hard reset. If these problems are not rectified, I will no longer support this company with my money. Expand
  19. Feb 13, 2012
    Could be cool if it didn't look so horrible. Fortunately got it from Gamefly so only wasted some time and no real money. Will try the PC version hoping the graphic quality is at least 10,000 times better. Other than graphic concerns, this is the first oblivion I've played and I'm so far not too into the play-style. It's a bit chunky and difficult to maneuver the player and the camera. Disappointed after all the hype :/ Expand
  20. Jan 9, 2012
    I enjoy this game greatly. sadly let down by the lag due to the PS3. i enjoyed the story lines and quests and equipment you could get. i enjoy seeing the elder scrolls series carry on and i play each game and enjoy them to each of their own merits.

my score does not reflect how i feel about this game just simply the console it is on i have pruchased this on pc and hopefully any of you
    reading this will too.

i was talking about trading this in, thought give it one more chance. got out of a town rode a horse a little ways out got off it, Crashed! next trip game shop cashed in got swtor
  21. Feb 19, 2012
    Honestly, to me this game is best summed up with a common proverb-like phrase "quantity over quality? Or Quality over quantity?". That is what signifies Skyrim. At it's core, Skyrim is an RPG with an immense world and TONS of gameplay opportunities with countless sidequests and stuff to do. However, as gamers we care more for entertainment. And entertainment does not always reflect on how much content a game has. The fact of the matter is, all of skyrim's sidequests, main quests, and factions fall short. They're just not that great. I mean, it gets you to play the game but it's not all that fulfilling. You'll notice this when you reflect back on your experience. I found myself in the game rushing through quests JUST so I could get them over with. And then I paused, why am I doing this if I'm not having fun? It almost became a chore. The gameplay is repetitive, and many of the dungeons look the same. The story is quite awful, but the characters are OK and the voices are good. The main quest was a BIG disappointment for me, as it never riveted me at all. The ending was like "is this really it? THAT was the final boss?". Overall, the quests are just numblingly boring and the rewards are decent. In terms of leveling your character, i guess that can add some amusement but it's entirely useless. By the time you get to lvl 25 or 30. Nothing can kill you other than dragons. Sure get better armor, but what for? The presentation was decent, but games like RDR with just a big a world, have MUCH better presentation and less cartoony fat like characters. Also the game is littered with bugs and glitches, horrible framerate, and a save problem. Overall, Skyrim has a lot of content, but none of it is really worth a mention. Games like Uncharted, God of War, can be beat in 10-15 hours, but are a much more FUN and thrilling experience. Something worth your TIME. For me I got bored at lvl 30 and had no ambition on continuing. I prefer games like RDR with better story line, good content, and a cleaner free roam with better presentation. Quality > quantity. I would give this game a 5, judging SOLELY based on the content itself. But including the unprofessionalism of Bethesda releasing a defected products, knowing FULL well of its problems, I give it a 3. Expand
  22. Dec 6, 2011
    5 years. 5 years I have been waiting for this game. Oblivion had a few bugs here and there but nothing that couldn't be ignored when thinking about the scale of the game; after all, it WAS the Game of the Year in 2006. Back then I would've thought the very idea of giving the sequel to such a stroke of genius less than 9/10 to be laughable. However, here I sit, with my near-enough unplayable copy of Skyrim in my hand. I will give anyone considering buying this product for the PS3 a warning: DO NOT. If you're thinking that we are just being melodramatic and whiny, you sure have a shock in store for yourself when you foolishly decide to play this game for a sustained period of time. Bethesda has always been awful when it comes to Playstation but this is just ridiculous. If it doesn't lessen it's obvious favouritism soon then I can guarantee it will lose itself an awful lot of consumers. I don't see how they couldn't have forseen this glaring, major flaw in their product. Patches have been promised, however, which I pray fix the issue; if not, Bethesda has no way to redeem themselves and I, for one, will have simply had enough. We have put up with these 'issues' for a long time and now I no longer have the faith to defend the game, or the developer. Fix the problem. Expand
  23. Jan 28, 2012
    How Skyrim got such high ratings in Playstation magazines is well beyond me. While this game is no doubt filled with a great amount of content and offers hundreds of hours of gameplay, you'd probably won't however be able to experience them seeing how this game is full of bugs, has TERRIBLE framerates, and freezes every 15 minutes once you've played pass 60-80 hours into the game. The game has potential. If you're playing it on the PC pr the 360, this is (if not the best game) among the best of 2011 and I'll gladly give it a 9 or 10. Sadly, seeing how the patches and updates have failed to fix the problems found on the PS3 version, Skyrim (PS3) may very well be among the worst... Bethesda, get your s*** together!! Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don´t have fill to beat Lord of rings war in north, is so weak,but deserve be bought for many fans and pepole that don´t know the serie,in the right way, i think that i´ll try to finish the game,that appear be so big. Expand
  25. Apr 1, 2014
    The main reason I give it this score is that I feel it's been done so many times before. It's a very generic game. nothing to new here from my perspective. Same rush to the top, boring quests not a single person I know of actually cares to listen too, and most people ignoring other players until they need them. Might as well be a single player game for the first 20 hours... Oh. I don't need to mention bugs as many already have. ;-(

The biggest gripe I have with this game, as with almost ALL MMO's is is takes to bloody long to get to max level! Over 200 hours which is crazy! Why make it such a grind? There is no reason for this and I, as many others do not have this amount of time to spend on getting one character to level 50. I'd personally like to have a few at max one day to test different classes. I'd suggest for future developers around 50 hours is more than enough time to dedicate to one character, more than enough time to be rewarded with having your character be as strong as they can be. This reason alone takes off 5 points for me.
  26. Dec 5, 2011
    Skyrim is another iteration of the never-ending Bethesda circus.

While a completely epic game in terms of scope and story, the PS3-version is riddled with bugs, ranging from "slightly annoying" bugs like spell effects never going away causing adverse reactions from NPC instances, "this is bad" bugs like glitched out dragons never landing and/or flying backwards and - fresh off the 1.2
    patch - the complete nullification of magic resistances and finally "this is completely game breaking" bugs like the classic lag and subsequent hard crash whenever you have explored too much.

It is literally impossible to play for more than 30 minutes after you have explored enough things to fill the cache, and it's a coin toss over whether it'll degrade "nicely" with increased stuttering (down to 1-2 fps), just crashing hard at a random point (prompting a system reboot and a file system check) or a failure to load a new area (the 40 second load screens just never end).

While I could write about how much there is to do and how fun it is, the truth is that the PS3 is simply not playable the way it's supposed to be played, and should be avoided like the plague.
  27. Dec 5, 2011
    Bethesda has created a beautiful world with Skyrim... but unfortunately, if you're playing the PS3 version, you won't be able to explore it. Skyrim on the PS3 is a completely BROKEN game. I can deal with minor visual anomalies and the odd crash here and there. But the problem with the PS3 version of Skyrim comes from it's strange file-saving system. As you progress in the game and explore the world, your save file gets bigger. As the save file gets bigger, the bugs become more and more apparent until they take over your entire gameplay experience. Here's just a few of the reported bugs that I have also experienced myself:
    - SEVERE frame rate drops (we're talking slide show, here)
    - Game freezes and crashes that become more frequent as you progress
    - Dragons that will not attack - Questlines that can't be completed due to quest givers being completely bugged.

These are just a few of the issues that the majority of PS3 players are experiencing. I wanted to love this game. I really did. I do love Bethesda games despite their bugs (which eventually do get fixed). But the conjecture here is that the PS3 just can't handle the engine that drives Skyrim, therefore, it may never be fixed. I, like many others, are short $60 and have a game sitting here that's no more useful than a place to set my drink.
  28. Dec 5, 2011
    I made an account just for this so that other ps3 users could get an insight of the dire situation this game is in. The ps3 version is terrible, it has lots of bugs that ruins the quests and u might not get to finish a lot of them, freezing issues that might corrupt save games or even worse your ps3 and the framerate is TERRIBLE once the save file has reached a certain size. To make the matters even worse is that this game is amazing and I really mean amazing. I wont spoil anything but if u can get this game on the xbox360 or pc then do that or hope that the issues will be fixed by Bethesda. Again, I love this game but on the ps3 this game is broken beyond belief and get it on another platform if u can. Will change this review if the game gets fixed in the future. Expand
  29. Dec 5, 2011
    Skyrim has been getting nominations for game of the year, I think this could be true on the pc and xbox 360, but it definitely cannot be true for the ps3. The game has a lot going for it: an absolutely huge world that is populated by a ton of npcs with the ability to do almost anything, a huge number of quests, nice graphics, and the ability to customize your character in so many different ways. However, the poor implementation of the game on the ps3 really hurts its enjoyment. During the first week of play, the game froze my ps3 7 times, sometimes to the point where even the power button was unresponsive and I had to unplug the power cord to get the ps3 to reset. I don't recall any of my other games ever causing the ps3 to freeze. In addition, for a game that is meant to be played a long time (100+ hours if you are thorough), it has an absolutely debilitating feature - more and more framerate drops the longer you play. It gets bad to the point of getting 2-5 frames per second. Patch 1.2 was supposed to fix this according to Bethesda, and after downloading it, the game ran silky smooth again in sharp contrast to the frequent stuttering I was playing with before. However, after 2-3 hours of play, the framerate drops began again. The solution is supposed to be to quit and restart the game! What kind of video game is designed that you have to quit and restart the game every 2 hours?! And Bethesda seems to have known about this absolutely horrendous fault with Skyrim before releasing it. I've read on video game sites like IGN.com that Bethesda sent them xbox 360 and pc versions of the game for review, but would require the magazine to purchase the ps3 version if they wanted to play it. Considering the number of people who have experienced this problem (75% according to a poll on ign.com), it would be absolutely ridiculous to believe that Bethesda didn't know about this problem before releasing it for purchase on the ps3.

The other annoying feature is the very long load times. Everytime you enter another area or fast travel to another location, you have to sit through a long load screen. For example, if I want to sell the loot I've collected in a dungeon, I travel to one of the cities and visit the smith, the general goods store, and the alchemy store to sell the different items. This is the sequence of events: 1) fast travel to a large city (wait through long load screen), 2) enter the smith shop (wait through long load screen), 3) sell loot, 4) exit the smith shop (wait through long load screen), 5) enter the general goods store (wait through long load screen), 6) sell loot, 7) exit the general goods store (wait through long load screen), 8) enter the alchemy shop (wait through long load screen), 9) sell loot, 10) exit the alchemy shop (wait through long load screen), 11) fast travel to my destination (wait through long load screen). It has gotten to the point where I no longer pick up loot when I go through dungeons just to avoid having to go to shops to avoid waiting through long load screens. I can understand a long load screen when entering a city because of the size of the area, all the different buildings, and all the different npcs walking around it, but why the heck does it take so long when I enter a small single-room cabin?

I really enjoyed playing Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the pc. Both games ran great. I wasn't expecting this mess playing Skyrim on the ps3. It sounds like Skyrim has its problems on the xbox 360 and the pc, but they seem to be much more minor compared to the ps3. I think if you have a very good pc, the best experience will probably be on that platform. Avoid getting Skyrim for the ps3. Final score 3/10.
  30. Dec 6, 2011
    I give this game a 10 all the way!!!.......until the lag kicks in. The fact that this game was released in such a broken state is unbelievable and completely inexcusable. I highly suggest holding off on the purchase of this game until you begin to see the complaints on the Bethesda forums go WAAAYYY down! At this point in time, the game is broken. Don't waste your money. Continually check the forums for updates on the progress of its updates and game-breaking bug fixes. Expand
  31. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim has everything to be a good game, a really good game. But there are many problems. The lags, the poor textures (on PS3), broken quests, dumb backwards flying dragons, broken magic resistance system. This game is not finished, they released an unfinished game for the symbolic date 11.11.11. Wait, don't buy it now, wait 6 months or a year, but don't buy it now, it's still a beta. We're doing free beta testing for Bethesda. We paid to do the beta testing ! Expand
  32. Dec 6, 2011
    Let me start off by saying this game started out fantastic. The story is great, the music is epic, the environs are outstanding.... But there is just too many bugs. especially on the ps3 version. The lag is horrible, we all know this, bethesda knows this, they just dont seem to care... i originally would have given this game a 9 or 10, but it gets a 3 because of bethesda's continued tight-lipped reaction to it, and the proverbial middle finger they keep giving to their customers. Expand
  33. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim = the game with two faces. For the first 20-40 hours of gameplay, it seems generally fine with some bugs and glitches here and there, and then, the lag hits. The further your character progresses, the less time it takes for game-breaking lag to occur. Your followers start to go haywire, sometimes following you, sometimes deciding to hide in trees. Summoned creatures get in your way while in dungeons and won't let you pass, forcing you to kill them. The perks system is really unbalanced: you have perks that aren't worth messing with at all and then perks that really eventually make your character too powerful and the game too easy on the normal (adept) difficulty level. Horses disappear and re-appear at will while riding through the mountains. I've experienced dead dragons move into one of the stormcloak camps, nowhere near where it was originally killed. After about 30 hours of gameplay, I decided to start leveling up my pickpocket skills, but guess what? Despite me never stealing or getting caught by various NPCs, the game constantly tells me I've already been caught trying to steal from each and every one. Thinking this was a problem with my save game, I loaded up several previous save game files, and it was messed up on all of them. Bethesda tech support may tell you to clear the cache, or they may tell you to delete and reinstall game data, which in a lot of cases, creates 'double dragon' syndrome, where two or more dragons can fly around and attack at any given time. Patch 1.02 created dragons that fly backwards, get stuck in the mountains, and ones that are apparently invincible. Virtually every quest in the game can be broken, including the main quest, making this a game that may not be able to be beaten for some. A game that can not be beaten deserves a score of zero, but I'm giving this a score of a 3, because the actual game design, for the most part, is pretty good. I'm done with this game until it can be fixed (which according to bethesda will NOT be fixed in the 1.03 patch). Mods at the official bethesda forums have told people to let bethesda enjoy their holiday and stop harping on them, a 31 day holiday that no one else in the country takes and not to expect anything until January. Expand
  34. Dec 7, 2011
    Part 1: A definite 'buy' If you want to amuse your friends with Dragons that fly spastically backwards, Weapon racks that fail to activate (oh hold on... that is Whiterun only... my Windhelm one activates and places the weapons 'through' the wall), Mannequins that have their assorted body parts that vanish when adding your armor for display, Book shelves that no longer activate to hold books and of course my favorite... LAGGGGGGGGGGGG. Expand
  35. Dec 8, 2011
    The game is very buggy all round and it has major lag if you invest any amount of time at all into it, which you will end up doing if you do buy it! A shame because otherwise its a fantastic game, get it for pc or 360, or better yet wait until the problems are hopefully fixed and pick it up second hand nice and cheap!
  36. Dec 15, 2011
    BE WARNED! PS3 game is very broken and theres not much hope for it to ever work properly. It's so nice to play for tens of hours to find out that it becomes unplayable after that because of freezing and lagging + other "fun" glitches. If you have a chance of returning the game, DO IT and demand you get your money back. It's just unreal how Bethesda f***s their fanbase with such broken release!
    GOTY my ass.
  37. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is what i have been waiting for in an RPG. Total freedom and choice at what quest to do, where to go, and when to complete quests, total freedom. Epic looking armor and weapons. Simple combat. Seamless menus. 200+ locations/dungeons to explore. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay with the possibility of endless quests. Top notch graphics. Epic battles with huge dragons that, if not paying attention, you can "wake" one up without realizing it until the dragon is spitting fire down your neck and when you finally realize what is going on it results in one of the most epic battles (actually happened to me, dragon was resting on a Shout wall and guarding a coffin i didnt see him). Why after all this did i give it a 3 you ask? Lets see, the threat of ruining your ps3, chronic freezing, unbearable lag, broken quests, reloading, reloading and reloading saves, and starting new characters hoping that you wont get one bug just to get another...yes it is a huge game but that does not mean that any developer should sell a broken game, that is what they pay QA testers for. There is no excuse. Period. The fact that it is a huge, complex game should tell them hey, we need to test even more. GOTY? Studio of the Year? 10/10? 100/100 "a masterpiece" ? I would agree 100% if the game worked. The fact is it does not and even more so on the ps3. If you follow IGN there was an article titled "Skyrim Lag: How The Hell Did This Happen?" which is what every video game review web site should be writing about, not, "Skyrim is a masterpiece" when clearly it is not, but, that is my opinion. Expand
  38. Jan 6, 2013
    Honestly, I had never heard of the Elder Scrolls, until I had played Skyrim and when I finally purchased the play and played it I was struck was buyer's remorse roughly the size of the National Debt. I mean, WOW! Five years of work and I can't play for more than an hour without my frigging character turning blue. What was Bethesda doing all that time, huh? Sure, they released patches for the game, but a studios objective when making a video game is to insure that the game itself is actually FINISHED!!!. Then the DLC came out and the PS3 crowd got snubbed on that as well. Bethesda, please pay attention to the middle finger I have erected towards your headquarters. It very unlikely that I will purchase the next Elder Scrolls game. Expand
  39. Sep 27, 2013
    i really hate this game. for one, it's too easy. the only way it'll be challenging is at master difficulty. the melee combat feels like i'm slicing at air instead of enemies. the dragon fights, while at first are awesome, soon happens often enough to feel more annoying than cool. the story is kind of interesting, but ironically, the side quests are more well done than the main plot. on top of all that the game lags A LOT. the spells are alright, but the only part of the game i think is good, is the archery, but it takes a little while to get good. the graphics are also beautiful, but that's meaningless when the majority of the game is bad. Expand
  40. Mar 11, 2014
    This is how RPGs die; with thunderous applause. What happens when the best open world RPG series ever gets successful? Skyrim. Granted the game looks great and has a very large world to explore but it has been streamlined and dumbed down so much that no true RPG gamer could ever enjoy it.

First of all: NO STATS! I don't know if they thought it was too complicated to add stats for
    today's ADD riddled gamers or what. But to take out this core mechanic of any RPG worth its salt is unforgivable.
    Second, in an effort to continue to appeal to the lowest denominator of gamers they decided to once again go with "leveling" the world to you. This is a retard ass system and only leads to the high end of the game becoming stagnant and boring.
    Third they replaced actual content with "Radiant Storytelling" which in all reality translates to an infinite number of VERY GENERIC side quests (e.g. Go to location Y to get item X).
    Lastly they have removed almost every level role playing to their "RPG" There is no persuasion skill in the game or any other spells or anything for that matter that does not deal with combat. Also the racial abilities are a joke they have been basically watered down to once-a-day abilities. Seriously this game sucks.
  41. Mar 31, 2014
    One of the finest examples of shallow reviewers who are noobs and suck really bad. Or that they got bribed by Bethesda. Going to make this short, so I can get to what matters most. If you are expecting at least one fun quest such as waiting for the old man to sit on his chair and you have to drop a bullhead on him to make it look like an accident while not getting caught by his giant man servant(from Oblivion), you will find nothing like that here. Tricking a group of people into thinking they are about to win a prize and you have to lure them one by one to a room to kill them without the others seeing you(Oblivion). Nothing, not one quest here is exhilarating or inspired. Every quest is insipid, boring, shallow, soul less garbage that consists of kill everything or bring me this. This game is a major major borefest, I turned it in after 60 hrs when i could not keep telling myself that this game was good. Ive put about 300 into Oblivion. Expand
  42. Jul 28, 2013
    Game seemed unfinished and lazily thought out. Quests were short and easy, and the the lack of customization made game boring. I wanted a full rpg experience but didn't get one. Oblivion content wise was better.
  43. Nov 25, 2011
    Such an amazing game ruined by all of its bugs ,the ps3 owners were once again let down,the game lags so badly that you can't even play the game.Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  44. Nov 12, 2011
    The atmosphere of the game and the open worldedness is everything you'd expect when getting a Elder Scrolls game. However for PC players, like myself, its a dissappointing console port. Bethesda didn't even optimize the menus for keyboard and mouse. I was hoping for more of a morrowind feel and got worse the oblivion feel. Even the graphics were really poor in my opinion obviously made for 3 year old hardware like in consoles. Its not horrible as far a games go however PC gamers will proberbly have to wait for mods to fix a game mad without thought to the PC Expand
  45. Jan 10, 2012
    Sadly my previous review must drop from mixed to negative, this game just doesnt stack up against other TES games (Morrowind) this game just isnt what it should be,short story, non-immersive gameplay, worse bugs than morrowind, and HORRIBLE voice actors! The first time I played Morrowind, yeah it was hard, but it really stood out and i put 300+ hours into it, I tried this game, I REALLY wanted to like it I really did, but this game is just too awful to get anything else, its overall a bad game! Expand
  46. Nov 21, 2011
    Best and worst time with a game. Skyrim is an amazing game but I want to single out the PS3 version. I don't have a PC or an Xbox 360 so I was forced to try this version. It started off pretty well with very little problems. About 10 hours in with a 6mb save file, things started to go sour. I started to experience crazy amounts of lag that ruined game play. I implore anybody to get another version if they can. DO NOT BUY THE PS3 VERSION (or wait to see if it can be fixed). In addition to the lag problem, the ps3 version also has the worst visuals of the 3 platforms. This wasn't a big deal to me but it's worth noting for the people that care. Expand
  47. Dec 5, 2011
    If your thinking of buying the ps3 version of skyrim don't , by any means till the problems that occurs on the game is fixed. One big problem the game sufferers with is horrible frame-rate issues and lag on the ps3 version. You get up to 6mb of data your going to start noticing the game in slow-motion all the time. The game isn't totally broken you can still play it but having to do all certain tricks like reloaded your saves back on your ps3 or deleting the install of the game and reinstalling etc etc starts to get real annoying after awhile. I have 113 hours in 12mb and with in maybe 30 mins to hour the game does nothing but lag and the frame-rate becomes nothing but a problem. The game also sufferers major from broken quest's, even main quest's that effect the main story of the game are broken with bugs/glitches. nobody should be giving this game a perfect 10 especially the ps3 version of it. How does a game that has more bugs and glitches than any game that's pretty much out get a 10. Bethesda blew it big time on the ps3 version of skyrim. This game should of been tested first even delayed til the problems of this game were close to perfect. Game gets a 2 due to the replay value of the game and that's about it. Expand
  48. Dec 5, 2011
    This game starts out as good, if not better, than all the hype. My problem from the game it's self comes from the lack of testing or caring towards ps3 owners. The game moves along fine until maybe a dozen or so hours in. At this point things start lagging and only degenerate from there into an almost unplayable mess. Quests seem to be broken left, right and center. It's a gorgeous game that was never built from the ground up for the ps3 and thus we suffer with what ultimately becomes an unplayable, bug ridden mess. Expand
  49. Dec 5, 2011
    To clarify things I still stand by my initial review.The reason why the rating is dropping is not due to trolls.All of the unhappy Skyrim owners from the official forums are joining together.We are all making the effort to express are disdain about the ps3 version of this game.When you unify and mobilize people to actually speak there minds on one one these forums this is what you can expect.
  50. Dec 5, 2011
    The game was great until it become unplayable. The outside world (and sometimes even inner buildings) began to perform like a slow paced power point presentation after I put many hours into the game. Hopefully Bethesda will at least provide a fix to make the game somewhat playable at least. I had the occasional slow downs in my many hours put into Oblivion and Fallout 3 on PS3, but this is just ridiculous. I cannot recommend this game to anyone at this point in time (at least on PS3). Expand
  51. Dec 6, 2011
    I own the PS3 version of this game and because of the immense amount of game breaking bugs I cannot and will not recommend this game to anyone. Bethesda knowingly released a broken game to the public. This a shameful act and therefore the score needs to reflect that. The only reason it gets a 2 instead of 0 is because when the game works its a lot of fun but right now my copy is unplayable so the score will reflect it. Expand
  52. Dec 6, 2011
    What starts off as an epic adventure as advertised quickly becomes an exercise in patience as constant framerate drops and input lag plague the game a handful of hours into your play session. Unless you like playing the first 1/5 of every game and then restart, this is not for you.

It's unfortunate, but Bethesda gets a 2 for this as it stands now. Until patched, the game is unplayable.
  53. Dec 6, 2011
    Unfortunate that I have to give my most anticipated game of this year a 2. Why does it get such a terrible score? Because after your save file grows between 7mb-8mb+ the game becomes completely unplayable. Why not give it a 0 then? Because this game is still amazing and I got an amazing 40 hours out of it and I thought that should count for something.
  54. Dec 6, 2011
    Sigh... I wanted to love this game as much as I did Morrowind and Oblivion and I did right up until the point my PS3 seemed to choke to death. Sure a reboot clears the problem for a short amount of time but the ugly problem of display lag appears again to taunt you one more time. What I have played is fantastic, it is only the framerates and broken quest lines that are the deal breaker for me. I never expected zero bugs, just not such glaringly obvious ones. Expand
  55. Dec 6, 2011
    This game would be so much fun but unfortunately it is broken on PS3 and unplayable after a while. Screw you Bathesda for knowingly releasing a full-price AAA game that gets unplayable after a certain amount of time. I will never buy a game of yours for more than 15$ again. I had the same issues wuth Fallout 3 and Fallout NV and tried to ignore it because the I liked the games - but this time it is just too much. Expand
  56. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is brilliant. The design, the atmosphere... It's amazing. Easily one of the best games this generation. But it seems that I bought it on the wrong system. I can understand a couple day one hiccups, but seriously Bethesda? This is ridiculous. I have had to restart the game twice now simply because a game breaking bug would happen during the main quest line, rendering completion of the story impossible. That, coupled with the amount of time I have stared at a blank screen while resetting my ps3 because Skyrim froze is just the tip of the iceberg. Sound cutting out, textures vanishing, saves getting corrupt, this version has it all. Even then, if I turn a blind eye to the fact that the ps3 version obviously wasn't tested enough (show me a Bethesda rep who says otherwise and I'll show you a liar) the worst part is that you released it knowing full well about these issues. I mean, why else would you not send out ps3 review copies to popular review sites? I think that is worse then the game being so broken, but I digress....

I hope that you see this user rating and read these reviews, and happen across mine. You already have my money for this game, and the only reason I am holding onto the unplayable frustration that is Skyrim is because I know the masterpiece it can be with the proper steps taken to improve it. I was looking forward to Prey 2, but I will not be purchasing it now. I know I alone will not make a difference, but I can only hope that my fellow gamers and I can send a message to all developers out there who think this is okay, in hopes of bettering the industry we all love.
  57. Dec 7, 2011
    Plays ok at first then stutters more and more as the save file grows. Patch is released and reduces stutter mainly by clearing corpses and simplifying some graphics. Now machines can just hard freeze at random in any area post patch. This could have been a great game but the bugs are killing it, avoid it for now.
  58. Dec 8, 2011
    To start with I have played over 100 hours of this game. It is fun, creative, and ambitious. Unfortunately this game is broken on the PS3. There are serious lag problems with large save files, which Bethesda has no idea of how to fix. The game crashes at multiple points, it has become less about exploring the world and more about walking a mine field trying not to crash it. This game should never have been released, in this state. Bethesda has completely lost all of my confidence for releasing this game as is. I refuse to believe that their QA dept missed these bugs, they are to easy to reproduce. So that means Bethesda knowingly released a broken game. I am torn in two about this game, its an enjoyable ride, but once you get deep into it, it loses all the fun. Expand
  59. Dec 8, 2011
    I'll get about 32$ for a 60$ game at Microplay, in exchange of another game, After that they cry when poeple hack the PC version. Us fellow PS3 user we get what, an unfinished game.
  60. Dec 16, 2011
    I'm going to make this short and sweet:
    As a game, this title is amazing. On the PS3 platform, it's a broken piece of garbage. Depending on your play style, if you like exploring and such, the game shows its true colors about 10 hours in. Once your save file is over 5mb in size, you'll have problems with auto-saving (it will freeze up your PS3, force a hard reset, and if you're lucky,
    your PS3 will decide data is corrupted and perform the PS3 equivalent of a scandisk to try to recover your files. Luckily I've never had anything corrupted other than skyrim data... yet.) and if you turn off auto-save, you'll still eventually get a game that devolves into a slideshow whenever there's more than 2 characters active on the screen.

Bottom line: if you have a PC or 360, get the game on one of those platforms. If you buy the game on PS3, you will regret it. If you don't have a PC or 360, skip this game... at least until the day Bethesda patches the game and fixes all the game breaking technical issues. However, if the recent Fallout titles were any indication, this game won't be fixed... buyer beware.
  61. Dec 24, 2011
    very disappointed with lag and other glitches - can't believe the camera in the opening cut scene was not even attached correctly... This is one I won't finish...
  62. Jan 9, 2012
    Dear Bethesda......... I'm used to bugs in your games (I think everyone is!). I'm also mostly OK with the outdated tech, the clunky combat, the poor dialogue, and all the other staples of your games since Oblivion, because you do know how to make a good game world, and for that I can overlook a lot of issues. ........... However, what I cannot overlook is that this game is BROKEN on PS3. Broken meaning 'does not work'. At all. As in, 7 to 0 FPS during combat. .......... Next time, if you know you can't make a PS3 version without it being literally worthless (except for the opening 20 hours or so) then just don't release it on Playstation. It would hurt us PS3 owners, but not as much as the false hope this broken port gives. -Loco Expand
  63. Feb 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I honestly can't remember ever being this disappointed in a game (other than Gran Turismo 5 that is). The game starts off pretty good but after a while just descends into sheer tedium. Almost all the quests are pretty much the same. Sure you can do plenty of other stuff like smithing (ok), mining (yawn), cooking (what's the point?) etc...but the best of these pastimes grows old quickly. There is bugger all character involvement - nobody has more than two or three (non quest related) lines of dialogue. Once you finish the main quest the game's flat out boring. The big problem though, is that the game is simply broken on PS3. I won't recite the long list of problems, as they are all well documented here and elsewhere, but this game is simply unplayable after a short while. It's an absolute joke - don't Bethesda have game testers??? I think when we're paying over $100 for a game we're entitled to hope that the thing works for more than a day or two. I guess it's another product of the current mentality of "ship the game regardless & we'll rely on DLC & patches to put things right" that is prevalent in game developers these days. Unfortunately Bethesda don't seem to be interested in fixing this game for some reason. It's just pathetic. Don't waste your money on this game on PS3. Honestly, if you're after a good RPG for PS3 check out Dragon Age: Origins (1 - not 2) or Demon's & Dark Souls, they're much, MUCH better. Expand
  64. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is not as good as it was hyped to be. 1st) It is broken, bugs, glitches, lag galore, even fixed, the bugs and glitches are EVERYWHERE! I mean quest bugs are almost all the time, people multiply, dragons kill quest characters, list goes on and on. (yes I do realize this is a "huge" and "open world game" But there is plenty of games that are open world with less glitches. 2nd) No spellcrafting, yeah this is a big failure, as all of TES, had this function, and no it does not make magic more "spreadsheety" and even if it did, magic is a science, and you did not do a good job of avoiding it Bethesda, as it has duration/damage/range....

3rd) Uninteresting and bland, the story is not even a story, and lose interest in it, the factions are the shortest thing ever besides the war, and those are just repeat quests over and over. The combat is boring and weak, it should be more like Dark Souls.... Exploration is fun for about a week.... 4th) Lies... What happened to the economy thing Bethesda? That we could destroy the woodmills, work with the windmills, destroying the economy or build it up, as you sell more of one item it loses value and ect. Hrm....
  65. Mar 28, 2012
    I rate 2 for this game because I waste my precious $60 for this game but I'm nice to enough give this game rate 2 . They are very lag , freezing out , ridiculously glitches/bugs , and the updates are fail to follow up . I hate to start over when they were freezing out and I have to play for other 4-5 hours . However , if they update and getting better and I would change my rate and review for this game . Expand
  66. Jun 28, 2012
    I had the PS3 version before I bought the PC version. Now I can riff about all the bugs and crashes & technical issues in the game, but they have been stated enough. Because the fact of the matter is, even if Bethseda fixed all of those problems, the game is still a streamlined borefest. Read my PC review to find out why buying the PC version still didn't change my mind of how much of a dissapointment this game was. Even on the PC version with all of the best mods, I couldn't bring myself to play the game for more than 20 minutes before feeling like I wasting my time. Expand
  67. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim is such an amazing game but fatally flawed by the constant LAG that is going on after a few hours of play. I absolutely love Skyrim and find it almost as addictive as Oblivion, but I can't bring myself to give it a perfect score due to the unplayability. The constant restarting of my system just to get the game to stop lagging is absolutely inexcusable it leaves me to believe that Bethesda did not test this game at all as so they've repeated with other games they release now, patch later. This trend by Bethesda releasing broken games needs to stop, As I did not know I was beta testing their full release titles. I'll also complain that the menus suck. They're terrible. Why change them from Oblivion. There was nothing wrong with them in oblivion, instead we have this stupid wheel that doesn't work half of the time and a world map that is just stupid to look at. I constantly find myself having to search around the world map screen for the arrow to my next objective, only to notice that it hasn't actually popped up causing me to leave and reenter the menu screen. The Perk menu is a joke. It's so sloppily made, I understand they tried making it look cool but WOW. It's a pain to navigate and look at what perks you may want to get. Removing the quest log is another thing I don't like. I feel like there isn't much back story to minor quests anymore because this is gone. Again one of the things that made Oblivion great. Botched. What's positive: The landscapes are amazing. I can wander around the world aimlessly and just consistently be amazed by bethesda's work at making scenery so nice. The dungeons have also taken a huge, huge, huge step forward from Oblivion. These dungeons actually don't look and feel exactly the same anymore. Again, Well done. Music is great too. Very serene feeling exploring through the wilderness and mountains of Skyrim, much like in Oblivion. Skyrim is by far the buggiest game of the year, if it had no problems. I'd say it's one of the best. Guess I'll play Modern warfare 3 until a patch. Expand
  68. J3W
    Nov 22, 2011
    After your save game reaches 6mb+ which seems to occur after about 30-40 hours of play time in most cases, the game suffers from unplayable frame rate issues. This youtube video shows a goos example:
  69. Dec 7, 2011
    this game is a masterpiece if not for the game breaking bugs!!
    damn it!! enjoyed this game so much, but after my save file reached 6 mb+
    the game became unplayable, it was like playing a slideshow game...sux...
  70. Dec 5, 2011
    It's a good game, but it's full of bugs and glitches on PS3. Broken quests, lag problems, inconsistencies, and much more. Moreover the core engine hasn't changes so much since the previous Elder's Scrolls, which is a game of several years ago. I expected more from Skyrim. Again, could still be fun, if and when they patch it.
  71. Dec 5, 2011
    Sorry for you PS3 users, looks like Skyrim has the most problems on that system. Other folks are having issues as well, but PS3 has the worst. Wait til this buggy game is fixed in about 6 months before purchasing. Great game, horrible customer service. Boooooo Bethesda.
  72. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is an absolute sludge fest. It runs awful on the PS3, the longer you play, the worse it gets. All you have to do is look at any of the message boards or forums around the Internet to see the disgust this game is causing gamers. Problem is, Bethesda is not offering any type of explanation as to how this game could get released in this state. It was obviously not tested thoroughly at Besthesda and they simply want your money. If you are interested in buying and playing Skyrim, get it on PC or 360. I can not recommend the PS3 version in the horrible state it is currently in. This is embarrassing. Expand
  73. Dec 5, 2011
    Would have given this a 9...if I could play it. I can't even have the game on for 20 minutes with it crashing or stuttering. On top of the fact that it doesn't work, I bought the Collector's Edition for $150, so that's a bunch of cash down the toilet. Can't even return it because I don't have the massive 2.5' x 2.5' cardboard box the game came in any more. On the other hand, it makes a fantastic cup coaster, especially with the Collector's edition's thick case. Expand
  74. Dec 5, 2011
    Last night I started experiencing the game-breaking lag that everyone's talking about. I was concerned but assumed the lag would be fixed, until I read that one of Obsidian's director's comments that confirms the lag is an innate flaw and would require a "large time commitment" to fix. To me, this means that this game simply cannot be fixed within a reasonable budget or timeframe.

I
    gave the review 1 star because this problem is nothing short of a show stopper. The game itself is fun, engrossing and innovative, but all accolades pale in the light that the game will simply stop working after a short period of time. For me, this short period of time was 37 hours of gameplay; given the hundreds of hours of potential gameplay, no amount of "fun" will make up for that loss. Expand
  75. Dec 5, 2011
    GAME IS BROKEN and 100 % GLITCHED - beware............(check skyrim bethesda forum for details).

Game was unsuccessfully ported to PS3 which occurs in lags/freeze and graphics of N64 !
  76. Dec 5, 2011
    I will get right to the point. Skyrim was an amazing game for the 20 hours or so I played when I first bought it brand new on the day of release. The game started without a hitch. No lag, no broken quests then as soon as my file size reached 6 MB it all went to hell. While walking around town, I noticed my screen freezing and struggling to show my character and the surroundings. Restarting the game was my only option. Which fixed the problem temporarily. Things got progressively worse after 6 MB. My save file is currently at 12 MB and it lags as though I were playing some sort of MMO with max settings and a dial-up connection. Funny considering Skyrim is a single player game with no options to play online. To top it all off, a lot more quests seem to be glitching for no reason. Although you are able to fix some of the glitches by reloading a previous save file there is no guarantee that the glitch will not happen again. Now I am lucky if I can get 2 hours of gameplay without having to restart.

The patch that Bethesda released to fix the lag issue 17 days after the game came out has made things worse than before if you can believe it. It did not address the lag issue at all and made some of the npc's unresponsive during main quests. Bethesda probably already knew about the issue, but decided to mass produce the game and sell it to millions of people world wide. Avoid this game unless you enjoy getting angry and throwing away your money.
  77. Dec 5, 2011
    I am writing this because I love video games, and need to bring to light a problem with a game I was looking forward to like nothing else. It is a real shame that a game with as much hype and obvious potential as skyrim was let down by the ridiculous lag issues that plague it. On the PC and Xbox this 'masterpiece' of a game runs fine... and don't get me wrong, it does look like a masterpiece. However they have truly shafted us PS3 players by not tuning the game's lag issues to an acceptable standard - play with a character for any reasonable amount of time and get your save area in the 5MB+ region, and you will be subjected to something more akin to a PowerPoint slide show than the 30fps game you were promised. The game becomes an agonizing, infuriating, unplayable mess. This is no exaggeration. Google DigitalFoundry (a performance analysis site) along with Skyrim and the evidence is all there, captured on video.
    We, the consumers, deserve some integrity from the developers. They cannot be allowed to get away with ripping countless thousands of people off like this. If you haven't bought this game yet, please hear our appeal, and show Bethesda that we deserve fit-for-purpose products by holding off buying this game. If you have bought it, please help bring to light the problems countless gamers just like you are experiencing by writing honest reviews, posting on forums, sending emails to Bethesda. This is already reaching mainstream news, and you can help get this game fixed and give us PS3 gamers, who have done nothing wrong but happen to use this console instead of Xbox or PC, the game we paid for and deserved.
  78. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is absolutely incredible. The graphics and beautiful vistas will blow your mind, as will the decapitations and sweet victory that follows creatively slaying a Dragon. That being said; the game is a disaster. It's unplayable with lag, and it's now becoming clear (thanks to a head dev at Obsidian(new Vegas)), that the game is eventually breaking for everybody, due to it being neglected by Bethesda(big surprise there.). My advice: Don't buy it, but save up money for it. The moment people report it's fixed, go buy it, and prepare to lose countless nights questing. Expand
  79. Dec 6, 2011
    I really hate giving this game such a bad score. It certainly has many good aspects but the lagging, freezing and certain quest glitches cause major headaches. At first everything ran smoothly but over time the game started to have minor moments of slowdown and infrequent freezes. Unfortunately those minor issues became much bigger and more frequent the longer I played. I had the exact same issue with Fallout 3 GOTY. It started out great, but many hours later I was freezing every 5 minutes. I also have Skyrim on the xbox as well. While it also has some problems,especially glitched quests, it runs much better than the ps3 version.

I find it hard to believe Bethesda was not aware of the many problems on the ps3 before release. Either they didn't test the game properly, or they knew and just didn't care. It is a bummer because this is one of my favorite games when it decides to work. The only reason I give this game a 1 instead of a 0 is the amazing music. Jeremy Soule did a wonderful job and deserves praise. That is about the only thing I can praise until Bethesda fixes the many problems.
  80. Dec 6, 2011
    Broken, laggy, and full of bugs. This is a very poor release on Bethesda's part and anyone who rates this game over a 6 hasn't put any honest time into it. Don't waste your money here till we get serious confirmation of game play enhancing patches.
  81. Dec 6, 2011
    I bought Skyrim with the intention to play until my hands bled. I was really looking forward to play the game and at first I could! For about 45 hours playing Skyrim was more or less amazing, not including all the bugs I am used to in a Bethesda game. But after 45 hours the game started to freeze, crash and generally stop acting like it should. 50 hours in, its impossible to play anymore. I have read on the Bethesda forums that its not just me that is having problems, even IGN have written an article about this! It seems the problems lies with the size of our saved games, something that most PS3 gamers will suffers from sooner or later. Unfixable! I am sorry Bethesda, I cant accept this, regard my vote as trhe last thing you will ever hear from me. Expand
  82. Dec 6, 2011
    Fix the lag and shadows and this would be a) 7.fix the quests etc and it's a 9. Fix the interface (horrible) and it's a 8.5

He lag is getting lots of publicity but there are also other fundamental issues. The questlines are short often tedious. Game balance could be better, especially for magic lovers. Npc interactions have taken significant steps back. The interface is a piece of junk.
    Can't even sort items and switching during combat using the favorites menu is clunky at best. Expand
  83. Dec 6, 2011
    The only reason I gave this a one is because I love the story and the lore. I wanted to give this game a higher score, but the state of the PS3 version is disappointing and completely unacceptable. I did not expect to be playing a $60 slideshow with music. I understand that the PS3 is a harder platform to develop for and a completely bug free game is pretty much impossible, but that doesn't mean you release a game that has this type of game breaking bug. Frankly, I feel like I've been ripped off. Expand
  84. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim has much potential but the game has too many flaws to be given a 10. Fix the flaws Bugthesda! Broken quests, bugs and reoccurring lag kills immersion and shouldn't be tolerated by consumers. Sell me a game that works as advertised.
  85. Dec 6, 2011
    Don't let the MetaCritic's "critics" fool you into buying this game !!! It does not deserve a 93 score !!!
    There are huge technical/programming problems that disable this game for many PS3 owners. Bethesda withheld the PS3 reviewer copies, to delay the truth until they could sell as many of the broken games as they could. I feel MetaCritic is ignoring the horrible technical issue in their
    score. If the PS3 version did not have these lethal software problems, it would easily deserve the 93 score. The patches have been ineffective and Bethesda does not appear to be forthcoming with real solutions, or to be willing to take responsibility for the consumer deception that has occurred. It could have been an awesome gaming experience if Bethesda had done their jobs well. Expand
  86. Dec 7, 2011
    I will never again buy Bethesda games on day one release because Bethesda has shown they cant fix bugs. When your save file grows to about 6 MB the game will possibly lag right there. The lag slowly creeps up on you and when the file continues to grow it increasingly becomes more noticeable. What starts out as a great came essentially becomes a bad game as you continue to progress and enjoy this game. You hard efforts are essentially rewarded with framerate issues and horrible lag making you regret getting the game in the first place. I personally recommend you dont even rent the game because of its problems, so dont buy this game. This game clearly didnt get the proper Q/A it needed otherwise Id be giving it a good review. Expand
  87. Dec 7, 2011
    I gave this game 1 /10 cause it was supposed to be a 9/10 or a 10/10 if it wasn't crippled wit bug and lag when playing at a high level. We now know why bethesda did not ship any ps3 version to the testers, because the game is broken. Such a shame, If I would have known I might have bought it on PC, very very disapointed by Bethesda on the PS3 version....
  88. Dec 8, 2011
    Game froze up after about an hour of playing and it only gets worse as if i try to re log into it. to sum it up this game is busted beyond fixing. Going to take it back as soon as i can
  89. Dec 7, 2011
    I had high hopes for this one after playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but it disappoints again. This is strike 3 and they need to answer for it. This game will become unplayable after your save game file reaches around 6 MB, and they refuse to properly address the problem. It's broken and will remain broken. Don't buy it.
  90. Dec 7, 2011
    The game was great at first, but then the lag set in and made it unplayable. It's a problem that has occurred in several of Bethesda's games, and yet they neglected to fix it again. Once again their patches fix nothing and the game is simply broken. Please save your money.
  91. Dec 9, 2011
    Curse you bethesda for making such an impossibly addicting and at the same time insufferable game! Believe me folks this game is bigger, better and more ambitious than any of the previous Elder Scrolls. And I happened to love all of them which is why it is very difficult for me to see one of my most beloved series almost reduced to this unplayable mess.. Sure some of the bugs are funny but the 0 FPS when you're just happily trotting in the game world has definitely worn out its welcome. I mean c'mon, I can understand a game of this magnitude would have its share of quirks but literally playing a slideshow is no fun at all dude. I had 75+ hrs in w/ a 14mb save file and I have to restart the game roughly every hour just to play the game at a decent fps (10+ minutes of every hour mind you are also consumed by the loading screens). I'll give it a 1 though, simply because the Sanguine dremora prince quest is a riot but implore you good folks, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR THE PS3, at least not until they fix that horrible lag. Hmm.. I guess I can go back to playing Morrowind since it is still clearly the BEST in the series, heh I might even play oblivion again even though I hate those damned oblivion gates just so I can kill time waiting for bethesda to patch skyrim. Expand
  92. Dec 8, 2011
    All these 10 reviews that say "There are bugs but it's a great game..." No, if there are bugs it's not a perfect 10. Especially when these bugs are game-breaking for PS3 and cause frequent hardware lockups. Bethesda should be ashamed they rushed this to release in this condition and should be appalled by their handling of this. Advising people buy $180 SSD drives to band aid their problem? Having the VP of PR ridicule consumers via social media? This many negative reviews has nothing to do with some type of organized internet attack. It has everything to do with a game that was released too soon and a company whose arrogance has peeved a lot of people off. You don't get negative press like this if there aren't problems. Expand
  93. Dec 12, 2011
    Great game for the first 40 hours... til it becomes unplayable due to horrible drops in frame rates that actually drop to 0 frames per second, along with the famous system locks and crashes Bethesda's famous for. I would recommend getting it on 360 if possible if you're interested in Elder Scrolls V! You've been warned!!!!
  94. Jan 3, 2012
    AMAZING game. When it works. Which it stops doing after a while and becomes unplayable. And when I say unplayable, I dont mean it as hyperbole or exaggeration. It is literally unplayable. It could have been the best game of this generation, certainly of the year, but it is fatally broken and now serves no purpose to me other than looking good on the shelf.
  95. Dec 21, 2011
    Bethesda released beta software on the PS3. I'm amazed I can make my file saves grow by simply saving them over and over without doing anything in the game. They have serious memory leak issues. They need to use a tool like purify on their software to find the issue. After my file size grew to 7MB or more lag hits and now I'm seeing freezes forcing a PS3 reboot. I have turned off auto-save and still the problem persists. Its so bad that I even had freezes happen when I go to manually save my game state. Boy this is a fiasco. I guess I'll go back to another PS3 game that has no issues. Expand
  96. Jan 5, 2012
    This IS a very good game at heart, but the only reason I know that is because the PS3 version was so buggy and eventually near unplayable that it pretty much forced me to go out and buy the PC version. Whilst my laptop can't run the game at quite the graphics capable on the PS3, it was far more enjoyable because of the lack of frame drops and the game being unhelpful in that respect. It really is a shame, because it is a spectacular game, and I loved every minute of it on the PC, but really I should have been able to play it on the PS3, the first copy I bought. This isn't trolling at all, but the game needs fixing BEFORE it ships, Bethesda. I know a few copies mean nothing, but the issues with my game have been so severe that I've recommended that people should not buy this game on the PS3 in various stores I've been in, and they've all either said they'll wait to buy it preowned as a result or just haven't got it if they couldn't purchase it on another console (Not everyone has the privilege of owning a PC, 360 and PS3) So, the score of 1 remains until this garbage is patched. I really recommend buying the game, but not the PS3 version at present. Expand
  97. Jan 13, 2012
    This game should be amazing. It is amazing, but it doesn't work. 2 months on, & still can't play the game. I've had to delete the patches, & installation files multiple times, & re-install them. I've also had to restore the file system on my PS3 3 times because the game keeps hard freezing, & messing up my console. I class myself as lucky if I can get more than 10 minutes into the game before it just locks up & requires a hard reset to get my console working again. On the plus side, I've only seen the flickbook framerate chug that everbody complains about once, because it doesn't run long enough very often to actually get to that stage.

Once Bethesda "actually" fix this pile of broken, then it will be a wonderful experience well worth paying the money for, but for now, wait for the patch. For offline users, wait for a GOTY edition with all the patches on the disc.
  98. Mar 12, 2012
    Well the game is broken and like previous games (Fallout 3 / Oblivion) they made or helped with (Fallout New Vegas), it will never be fixed...
    It lag so much and i can't even play the game (almost 300 hours, 26 mb save file) with the 1 fps frame rate and quests not updating or even running ... that the game is shelved now for over 2 months.
  99. Dec 6, 2011
    A game that is broken = 0, selling a game that does not work is dishonourable and inexcusable whether the game is actually bad or good. If there are problems like this you simply delay and fix them or you don't release it at all! There goes all the respect. DON'T BYE IT.
  100. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is amazing... for the first 15 hours. Then it starts to lag so badly that you can't even play it, even with the patch all it does is lag lag lag lag lag ................l....a.....g...g.....LA....gG. A broken game doesn't deserve anything higher than a zero.

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]