8.4

1. Sep 29, 2011
    Let me start by stating the facts: not everyone will understand these games, not everyone will enjoy them, and there's nothing wrong with that. Certain people can't watch a movie unless it has explosions, certain people can't watch Public Television because it educates rather than entertains, and certain people will pick this up on the recommendation of another and feel 100% cheatedLet me start by stating the facts: not everyone will understand these games, not everyone will enjoy them, and there's nothing wrong with that. Certain people can't watch a movie unless it has explosions, certain people can't watch Public Television because it educates rather than entertains, and certain people will pick this up on the recommendation of another and feel 100% cheated because it doesn't involve wanton killing, busty women, rampant foul language and guns.

If you are one of these types of people, it's okay. I'm not going to judge you or your tastes. I'll just let you know that i feel sorry for you, because whatever "eye of the beholder" thing it takes to truly enjoy these games, you don't have it, and believe me, your life is worse because of that. You don't know what you've missed.

Ico is definitely the harder game to get into, out of the two games in the collection. It will involve you solving puzzles and leading a girl to safety by escaping the castle where the both of you are imprisoned. It will involve her speaking in a language you don't understand, and it will tax the part of the brain that won't help you fire a gun. For those patient enough to brave the journey, you may find yourself with an incredibly emotional experience at the end of the road, and you'll be amazed a video game could make you feel that way. I'm trying to spoil as little as I can for you, and I'm sorry if this sounds a bit paltry, but this is the gist of the experience.

On the other hand, Shadow Of The Colossus is the most beautifully haunting game I've ever played. It too is about solving puzzles, but the goal in this game is not to figure out how you'll escape a castle, it's how to kill sixteen giant beasts that dwarf you in scale. No other game has made me feel so overwhelmingly powerful by making me feel so insignificant throughout the entire process - the expansive overworld with no enemies or even epic travel music, the loneliness between your character and the horse he rides, it all seems so pointless until you find your next enemy. The silence is the calm before the storm, and that storm is the next giant beast you will have to locate, climb and somehow kill. It will give you a sense of wonder, dread and most of all, it will prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that video games deserve to be called an artistic medium. As I said, it won't be for everyone. But if you find yourself looking for something that could make you proud to own your PlayStation, and you don't mind not shooting a gun or scoring a goal, then you may find yourself in for the best games that the previous generation had to offer. There's a very good reason why the PlayStation 2 was the home of the best franchise titles of the last hardware generation, and that didn't have as much to to with Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Madden, Final Fantasy or God Of War as it did games like Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus. Now, these games have been given a 1080p HD facelift, and given trophies for the player to earn as well. Any individual who considers themselves a gamer, in any sense of the term whether broad or niche, needs to try these two games. You may find that you don't like them, and like I said earlier, that's okay. Caviar isn't for everyone, and one man's delicacy can be another's poison. If you're in the mood for something besides controller McDonalds, though, this is your wake-up call.

For those who do pick it up and find themselves lost in the most incredible worlds, your curiosity will be rewarded hundredfold. Then, you'll understand why people like myself are so excited for The Last Guardian...and chances are, you will be too after playing through these two games (and especially SotC). Don't pass this up, whatever you do.
  2. Nov 9, 2013
    Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing game. The collection is worth it for that game alone. However, Ico on the other hand, is a prime example of a developer being Artsy for the sake of being different. Nothing about this game stands out. The art design, point blank, sucks. It's grey. Gray, Gray and more Gray. The castle is gray, the sky is gray, and there is nothing interesting toShadow of the Colossus is an amazing game. The collection is worth it for that game alone. However, Ico on the other hand, is a prime example of a developer being Artsy for the sake of being different. Nothing about this game stands out. The art design, point blank, sucks. It's grey. Gray, Gray and more Gray. The castle is gray, the sky is gray, and there is nothing interesting to look at in the entire game. there is no art on the castle walls. It's a big, empty building with nothing to see. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is nothing to hear. In doors, there is no music. Outside all you hear is wind and the ocean. It's not interesting.

What the biggest problem with the game is though, is that the quest, honestly, offers nothing. Yorda is quite possibly the worst companion in a video game ever. She says nothing to you. She offers no help. She just stands there like a drugged up crack whore, having you do all the work for god knows what reason. You have to manually drag her around the entire game. She will literally do nothing if you leave her be. She just stands there. The two characters cant understand each other, so there is no dialogue between them. It's just dragging this weird, albino chick around for five to ten hours. And that's when the game is enjoyable. Then there is the combat. Oh the god awful combat. You swing your stick around at monsters hoping to eventually get them to fall over. It takes forever, and is incredibly boring after the first few combat sequences. Coupled with the fact that there is no reason to attach yourself to Yorda, you'll eventually just wish that they'd take her and the game would be over.

The puzzles are annoying, but at least it isn't the dull combat. They're difficult at times, but not by design. The game tells you nothing, so half the work for the puzzles is figuring out what exactly it is that you can interact with in this bland, gray works that Ico inhabits.

Ico all boils down to being just a very drab, dull, bland game. If you enjoy it as a bonus game, go ahead. But do not buy this collection for Ico. It's just not that interesting. Buy the collection for Shadow.
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    I'm not sure why, but neither delivered quite what I was hoping for.

ICO: Pros: Nice design choices, solid ending and passable controls. Cons:Frustrating/boring puzzles and combat, not amazing story, little emotion felt for characters and bad AI. Overall: 4 SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS: Pros: Interesting premise, huge boss fights, satisfying gameplay Cons: Slightly drags on with a few
    I'm not sure why, but neither delivered quite what I was hoping for.

ICO:
    Pros: Nice design choices, solid ending and passable controls.
    Overall: 4

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS:
    Pros: Interesting premise, huge boss fights, satisfying gameplay
    Cons: Slightly drags on with a few obscure solutions to the fights, quite over the top ending.
    Overall: 7

In theory, I could have chosen a score of either 5 or 6, yet I chose six as Ico really did show some flashes of excellence and Shadow delivered on quite a few occasions. These two games just did not pack the emotional punch I was lead to believe. And I know people will read these review and be disgusted and think that I am some mainstream gamer whose only needs in a game are bullets to be constantly sprayed but the truth is I loathe many of those games and rarely play them unless they have something interesting to say. I just don't think these games lived up to the hype
  4. Jul 8, 2013
    SOTC I never played this on the PS2, but judging it as it is, it's a big disappointment. The controls are terrible, and the graphics are just OK I can imagine that it looked good in its day, but time has moved on! There are much better looking and playing games out there.
    ICO sorry, just not for me the continual bleating from girl just got on my nerves. I made it about 30 minutes in before turning it off through sheer irritation.
  5. Feb 14, 2012
    ico is wonderful and worth the price alone for the atmosphere. shadow is a much improved game graphically, yet some of the gameplay was lost in the remake. wander now needlessly shakes about making climbing the collossi extremely discouraging. the ps2 version had its moments, but some of the bosses are controller-throwing when you cant even remotely get to a resting point on the beastico is wonderful and worth the price alone for the atmosphere. shadow is a much improved game graphically, yet some of the gameplay was lost in the remake. wander now needlessly shakes about making climbing the collossi extremely discouraging. the ps2 version had its moments, but some of the bosses are controller-throwing when you cant even remotely get to a resting point on the beast to regain your grip meter. this needs to be patched. if you can look past that negative mark, shadow is still a good (but now frustrating) game. if you still own your ps2 hunt down an old copy of shadow, and just pick up ico on psn. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2013
    I really can't enjoy this game, Ico looks dated but with a simple and good gameplay while Shadow of Colossus looks yet good visualy but the gameplay feel horrible and i really tried to enjoy this because everyone calls a "masterpiece", but even considering me a player i didn't like...
  7. Nov 20, 2013
    Un juego que busca innovar y que con una buena base e ideas implementa algo novedoso. Pero la cosa no salió muy bien, la verdad se vuelve algo repetitivo, aburrido y no engancha mucho...igualmente hubiera sido un gran juego de enganchar mas y no ser tan lento...solo lo recomiendo a los que le gustaron el juego, para los amantes de tipo puzzles, pero para los demás no, no me gusto el juegoUn juego que busca innovar y que con una buena base e ideas implementa algo novedoso. Pero la cosa no salió muy bien, la verdad se vuelve algo repetitivo, aburrido y no engancha mucho...igualmente hubiera sido un gran juego de enganchar mas y no ser tan lento...solo lo recomiendo a los que le gustaron el juego, para los amantes de tipo puzzles, pero para los demás no, no me gusto el juego y eso que al principio me agrado la idea, pero se quedó en un quiero y no puedo... Expand
  8. Oct 8, 2011
    These games are an excellent example of where art combines with console gaming. Both games have the look of De Chirico and Dali in their artwork, and there is an existential depth to the story that goes beyond the usual gaming fare . In Ico the initial abandonment and ultimate friendship of the two characters is achingly beautiful, capturing the essence of childlike innocence and at itsThese games are an excellent example of where art combines with console gaming. Both games have the look of De Chirico and Dali in their artwork, and there is an existential depth to the story that goes beyond the usual gaming fare . In Ico the initial abandonment and ultimate friendship of the two characters is achingly beautiful, capturing the essence of childlike innocence and at its heart this is the reason Ico has such a resonance.
    Don't expect to be meeting or talking to other characters, because they are notable by their absence. Sound of wind, running water and birdsong are the predominant sounds that accompany Ico in his adventures, making this a haunting ,moving experience.
    These are not state- of -the -art -next -gen -graphics to be sure, but Shadow of the Colossus still looks gorgeous and the originality of the game-play has enough to keep you interested. With its remastered HD makeover, ( when are we going to get 1080 HD as standard on PS3 games! ) this collection is well worth the purchase price even if you have played it before on Ps2.
    There are some problems however with camera points of view and counter intuitive controls that can make both games frustrating and episodic rather than flowing but this does little to detract from an innovative, beautiful gaming experience.
    Strongly recommended
  9. Oct 3, 2011
    This is a definite game for anyone who loves puzzlers and a very in depth story without much being said but with a great deal of emotion. These games are phenomenal, unique, and will be cherished by many for a long, long time. This time around both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus have had a wonderful HD make over. A lot of gaming sites/magazines rant and rave about SotC and how it looksThis is a definite game for anyone who loves puzzlers and a very in depth story without much being said but with a great deal of emotion. These games are phenomenal, unique, and will be cherished by many for a long, long time. This time around both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus have had a wonderful HD make over. A lot of gaming sites/magazines rant and rave about SotC and how it looks so much better and made the transition to HD very well, but Ico still has some problems. Well I totally disagree. Both games look amazing for being games built on older technology. If you didn't know this, Ico was originally designed for the first Playstation and before it was completed it moved platforms to the PS2. With the depth of gameplay in Ico and SotC, it's very surprising that the earlier platforms would have and did work. There's just so much beauty in these games, from the artwork to the emotion and all that went into delivering such deep stories. If you enjoy games like Tomb Raider or Soul Reaver, you'll love these games as they have very similar styles, but of course a totally different story that's easily enjoyable. I'm glad to add these classics to my collection, even though I still have them for the PS2 I totally love playing them in HD. It's too bad I don't have a 3D TV; I'd love to try that out with SotC, but alas, I don't. Get this as soon as possible if you cherished them the first time. Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2013
    As a person who played the original version of Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, I must say that I was expecting very much of this HD version. I haven't played ICO yet, but unfortunately, my experience until now was kind of a disappointment. The controls are terrible! The camera... WTF are those camera controls? I don't remember those kind of problems in the original version. And also,As a person who played the original version of Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, I must say that I was expecting very much of this HD version. I haven't played ICO yet, but unfortunately, my experience until now was kind of a disappointment. The controls are terrible! The camera... WTF are those camera controls? I don't remember those kind of problems in the original version. And also, the graphics are bad, comparing to other HD versions of old games I played, like Okami HD (PS3) and Metal Gear Solid (Xbox 360). Don't get me wrong here, I like these games a lot, but I think that maybe the conversion to PS3 and HD was not well done. Expand
  11. Oct 8, 2011
    What can you say about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus? How one can describe these magnificent piece of art? You cant really, you need to experience these games yourself. Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus proves that games can be more then just simple action games with pretty graphics or anime spirited goofy roleplaying games. Games can be deep, emotional and something that stays with youWhat can you say about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus? How one can describe these magnificent piece of art? You cant really, you need to experience these games yourself. Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus proves that games can be more then just simple action games with pretty graphics or anime spirited goofy roleplaying games. Games can be deep, emotional and something that stays with you for rest of your life. Expand
  12. Oct 8, 2011
    A masterpiece! Two of the most before their time games repackaged with crisp visuals. Although there is room for improvement, there is something satisfying about knowing they stayed true to their original game - flaws and all. Brilliant.
  13. Sep 27, 2011
    For those who missed out on these two amazing PS2 titles, now is the time to go and rectify that. This HD collection brings together Team Ico's flagship title 'Ico' along with it's cult hit 'Shadow of the Colossus' is a subtle yet expansive way.

The HD reworking of 'Ico' delivers to the United States features that were only included in the Europe and Japanese versions of the title, including a secret ending, 2-player mode, and several Easter Eggs. The game has been cleaned up and the frame-rate is solid.

'Shadow of the Colossus' might be the best reason to pick up this HD collection. The best inclusion is the locked 30 frames per second. In the original PS2 version of the game, the frame-rate dropping was the biggest issues during the massive Colossi encounters. Now that it has been fixed, the game looks amazing during the games action scenes, and handles amazing.

As the game is 3D enabled, I had a chance to play an hour or so of each game with 3D on. While Ico doesn't feel much different with 3D on, Shadow of the Colossus increases the scope and size of the game world more than I though possible, especially while atop a giant boss with the threat of being thrown hundreds of feet to the ground.

Priced at $39.99, this collection should have a proud spot in any gamers PS3 collection. The HD doesn't make these games look brand new, but these timeless classics are aesthetically pleasing no matter what year it is.
  14. Sep 27, 2011
    What is needed to be said? This collection contains two artistic masterpieces that capture the imagination. Ico provides wonderful puzzles with a companion tagging along while SotC has some of the most epic and dynamic gameplay around. Ignore the trolls who try to mark this down, the collection is well worth the money!
  15. Sep 26, 2014
    2nd pass. ICO: 9/10. SotC: 7/10. Of the two, I enjoyed ICO a lot more. Puzzles were lucid, gameplay was enjoyable, next to no troublesome mechanics or anything to annoy the player, near-perfect. Though I prefer the aesthetic of SotC, I found it repetitive and frustrating, mostly due to the horrendous camera and the troublesome controls, which a lot of the time were greater foes than the2nd pass. ICO: 9/10. SotC: 7/10. Of the two, I enjoyed ICO a lot more. Puzzles were lucid, gameplay was enjoyable, next to no troublesome mechanics or anything to annoy the player, near-perfect. Though I prefer the aesthetic of SotC, I found it repetitive and frustrating, mostly due to the horrendous camera and the troublesome controls, which a lot of the time were greater foes than the colossi themselves. Poetic and artful, beautiful, even, but not a great game. Expand
  16. Sep 29, 2011
    This is a great chance for the new generation to experience two games that are timeless artistic masterpieces. Prepare to be amazed, you just don't come across games of this quality nowadays.
  17. Jul 21, 2012
    ICO was decidedly average for me, worth trying perhaps but nothing more.

SOTC was certainly the better game, but is quite a poor quality HD port.

Other than nostalgic purposes there's nothing stand out here, 2 good decent games different to what you can buy today, but both dated both dated in terms of controls, gameplay and graphics (even after the HD "upscale")
  18. Oct 2, 2011
    When the game Shadow of the Colossus came out I never bought the game, but I played the demo. By just playing the demo I was blown away by how amazing it was. I never bought the game though (I do not even know why myself). Right after shadow of the Colossus came out people were mentioning about the game ICO that was from the same developers of SotC. I never got around to playing the gameWhen the game Shadow of the Colossus came out I never bought the game, but I played the demo. By just playing the demo I was blown away by how amazing it was. I never bought the game though (I do not even know why myself). Right after shadow of the Colossus came out people were mentioning about the game ICO that was from the same developers of SotC. I never got around to playing the game ICO. Finally after 6 to 10 years both games have been released on the PS3 as a collection. So I made sure I went out and bought the games and I am not disappointed.
    ICO is a game about a boy with horn born in some village and appearently the village uses kids who are born with horn as sacrifices to keep the village safe. The boy is taken to a temple and put in a stone tomb. When the boy is trying to get out there is a little bit of shaking and the tomb comes loose releasing the boy. Soon after the boy finds a girl and tries to escape the temple with the girl. Playing ICO feels different than most games. The flow of the game is very slow and quite, which might turn of players that get bored easily. The relationship between the boy and girl is very heart warming and helps make the game engrossing. The soundtrack to the game is also a very strong point of the game intense at times and calm in others and also creepy when it needs to be. Shadow of the Colossus is the other game in the collection. The story to SotC is a young man's girlfriend is dead so he takes her into the forbidden land, which legend has it can bring people back to life. When the man gets to a temple and lays the body on the alter a spirit tells the man that he must kill 16 Colossi that roam the land in order to bring the woman back to life. The battles in SotC are intense, but also very fun. Using your sword on the game you will climb the colossi and find their weak spots. The colossi are huge some are almost the size of skyscrapers. When you enter a battle the music becomes intense. I love the music on this game, it has a feel to it that is rare in most soundtracks. When the player defeats a colossus, you actually start to feel sorry for the colossi. You do not know if the colossi are good or bad. Most do not even attack you on site. So you actually start to question the acts you are commiting. The colossi are the only creature on the game that you fight. So much of the time you are traveling to the next colossus. It takes a while and it is very quite, but the land is amazing to look at. It is truly art. I am a believer that video games can be art. If you thought about playing these game, but never bought them on their release now is the time to play them.
  19. Oct 7, 2011
    ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are two games unlike any other. They require you to think, feel and are not afraid to test you both physically and emotionally. In ICO, you control an imprisoned young boy (that's Ico) who finds a mysterious girl who speaks an strange language (thus, it's not translated for the player), Yorda, and decides to escape the shadowy castle that confines them. Yes,ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are two games unlike any other. They require you to think, feel and are not afraid to test you both physically and emotionally. In ICO, you control an imprisoned young boy (that's Ico) who finds a mysterious girl who speaks an strange language (thus, it's not translated for the player), Yorda, and decides to escape the shadowy castle that confines them. Yes, for most of the game, you'll have to escort a completely helpless companion but the game does a wonderful job of making you feel connected to Yorda... the way you hold her hand to guide her, the way Ico helps her up from a high cliff, her body language to signify hesitation or pain, the way she gasps when Ico falls & hurts himself are just some examples of how emotional attachment is created between you (as Ico) and Yorda. You're basically thrown into the game and are given no tips or advice, only subtle clues on how to complete the masterfully designed puzzles. In Shadow of the Colossus, you'll have to fight 16 colossi in order to revive your lost love. You have to travel a vast land on your horse, find each colossi and kill it. Of course, killing a colossi isn't simple and each one is a puzzle in and of itself. Both games look fantastic in HD (though Shadow does suffer from some texture pop-in) and have amazing soundtracks. The controls are a bit rough and the character animation/movement might feel outdated but consider that they were made to move as realistically as possible using the PS2 hardware. Overall, you're getting two magnificent games for $40 and the additional game content for ICO (minor changes to puzzles, secret ending from PAL version, New Game+ co-op play and translation for Yorda's dialogue), 2 dynamic themes and bonus videos all make it a fantastic value. If you have some patience and can open up your mind, these two games will forever change your perception on video games. Expand
  20. Feb 13, 2013
    Two masterpieces on one disk in HD it's just amazing! If you do not play on PS2 can not skip, and if the game is able to do it on the big screen with the best texture a great reason to buy.
  21. Feb 24, 2013
    So I never played the PS2 version, and I didn't hear about it until shortly before I played it, it was probably mainly reading the reviews, and hearing some of the praise it got, I must admit it really deserves it, the game feels epic, the music is awesome, and feels like a part of the whole experience. Although I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the PS3 HD release, as it stillSo I never played the PS2 version, and I didn't hear about it until shortly before I played it, it was probably mainly reading the reviews, and hearing some of the praise it got, I must admit it really deserves it, the game feels epic, the music is awesome, and feels like a part of the whole experience. Although I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the PS3 HD release, as it still looks like a PS2 game, this doesn't ruin the game, but you'd think they could update some of models, like I did see screenshots of someone emulating the old PS2 edition 1080p and I couldn't really tell the difference.

I'm not some huge fan of Japanese games, I enjoy games from everywhere, so I'm not a apologist, I find Final Fantasy (10 billion) As engaging as watching the weather forecast in the middle of winter, but this game is awesome, and if you want a unique gaming experience that's challenging and visually impressive, then I'd encourage you to get this game. It's also one of the few games that can get my heart pumping, I think that's a mixture of the music and the intensity of the Colossus battles.

No game is perfect though, there was the lack of enthusiasm put in the HD release, and some of the Colossi are so un-intuitive to figure out how to fight, you just have to praise the fact we have the internet(The worst imho was the Gecko-like one).
  22. Mar 2, 2013
    There can be no argument that these games are something of an acquired taste I would never universally recommend them. There is a quiet, elegant feel to them both that could be lost on some gamers, but ultimately for me they are probably the best games out of Japan for the last ten years, and are certainly in my Top 10 of all time. SotC is probably the better of the two with the aweThere can be no argument that these games are something of an acquired taste I would never universally recommend them. There is a quiet, elegant feel to them both that could be lost on some gamers, but ultimately for me they are probably the best games out of Japan for the last ten years, and are certainly in my Top 10 of all time. SotC is probably the better of the two with the awe inspiring colossi giving the game the edge over the more intimate castle environment of Ico. That said, the relationship between Ico and Yorda is one of the sweetest captured in games. I long for more games like this and can't wait for The Last Guardian (if it ever comes out!). Highly recommended to anyone who likes to play games that feel a little different (If you liked Journey, Braid, Year Walk etc you won't go too far wrong). Just a small warning the ending of SotC can leave you feeling a little conflicted! Expand
  23. Sep 9, 2013
    Excelente jogo na era Ps2 e agora remasterizado pra Ps3 Uma ótima jogabilidade e a movimentação a trilha sonora também recomendo. nada melhor de enfrentar gigantes
  24. Nov 2, 2013
    Amazing Game The Story Never Gets In The Way And Has A Big Impact At The End Its A Tale Of A Wander Who Will Risk Everything For His Beloved But Seems Like So Much More When U Finally Learn The Truth There's 16 Colossi To Defeat All Offer A Unique Challenge That Requires You To Use Your Surroundings The Music Masterfully Done There's haunting tunes, there's peaceful tunes, and heroic tunesAmazing Game The Story Never Gets In The Way And Has A Big Impact At The End Its A Tale Of A Wander Who Will Risk Everything For His Beloved But Seems Like So Much More When U Finally Learn The Truth There's 16 Colossi To Defeat All Offer A Unique Challenge That Requires You To Use Your Surroundings The Music Masterfully Done There's haunting tunes, there's peaceful tunes, and heroic tunes that make you feel unstoppable the bosses even look like real life creatures in a way like horses, bears, lizard etc. Otherwise This Game Does Everything It Set out To Do Its Unique, shows how boss fights should be done, and shows games can also be a piece of Art I Only Give It A 9 because other then Time Attack and Hard Mode There's No Much Else Do I Would Like To Perhaps Have More Animals To Inhabit The Lands Just So It Doesn't Feel Has Empty But I Understand its a design choice and its does it well with the feeling your in a land long forgotten by man bottom-line if you haven't played you owe it to yourself to play it at least once but its not for everyone now to play Ico Expand
  25. May 17, 2014
    This game is a big piece of crap. This game is a big piece of crap. This game is a big piece of crap. This game is a big piece of crap. This game is a big piece of crap.
  26. Sep 7, 2013
    These classic games are from a time when graphics were not great and controls were clunky as hell. Of course this is a comparison with current generation games. I may have enjoyed this collection more if the games had been remade rather than re-released.
  27. Oct 11, 2011
    When i first started playing Ico all i could think was "Hello am i missing something here?" It just felt so dated and i'm not just talking about the graphics. The controls are terrible and the camera atrocious but i persevered anyway as i figured there's got to be something here that justifies the fanatical cult following it has. But no, hours of gameplay in and still nothing much excitingWhen i first started playing Ico all i could think was "Hello am i missing something here?" It just felt so dated and i'm not just talking about the graphics. The controls are terrible and the camera atrocious but i persevered anyway as i figured there's got to be something here that justifies the fanatical cult following it has. But no, hours of gameplay in and still nothing much exciting happens. Ther's no great innovation or surprise to the level design; You just explore the dull castle until you stumble across one of it's simplistic, unimaginative puzzles or another shadow monster to fight and that's it. I'll admit it's not a completely awful game and the main premise of having to protect another character is a good one but really thats all it has going for it. Ther's simply no way this deserves all the 10's it's been getting. All i can think of is that these people have been blinded to the games shortcoming by nostalgia. Oh,and i know the fanboys will mark me down as unhelpful but don't assume i'm someone who only likes games with big explosions or that i don't get slow moving or deep games because my collection is full of games like Portal, Fallout 3 and Limbo.
    To be honest i havn't played SOTC yet and, you know, i probably never will because Ico has pissed me off so much! I could have bought Dark Souls or Arkham City instead of this!
  28. Oct 3, 2011
    ICO in my opinion is boring. You explore a mostly empty castle the entire game, while there are occasionally some breathtaking views outdoors the game never truly managed to capture me in its atmosphere, which is all the game has going for it. The combat and platforming are very weak and the puzzles are either too simple or too obtuse, there is no medium. I used the word obtuse because theICO in my opinion is boring. You explore a mostly empty castle the entire game, while there are occasionally some breathtaking views outdoors the game never truly managed to capture me in its atmosphere, which is all the game has going for it. The combat and platforming are very weak and the puzzles are either too simple or too obtuse, there is no medium. I used the word obtuse because the game fails to teach the player what is and is not possible, for example, swinging, the game never tells you how to swing and the controls are not intuitive enough to learn on your own, so I never knew that was an option until I read it in a FAQ, these instances sound silly, but they infuriate me because I attribute them to poor design.

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS is a masterfully crafted adventure with, unfortunately, little to no replay value. I loved the game when I first played it on PS2 and I highly recommend anyone that has yet to experience this game to give it a try. The reason I cite the games lack of replay value is because the games allure was due to the wonder of seeing each colossus for the first time and discovering (on your own) how to defeat each one, when you replay the game a second time that allure is lost. Naturally the game will never live up to that first experience but the gameplay elements itself, while adequate, aren't enough to make me want to play through the game again. It's a game best played once and remembered for its greatness and uniqueness.
  29. Sep 27, 2011
    2 of the most underated and best games ever made for price of 1, if your a long time fan of team ico's work or even if you missed out on these hidden gems id highly recommend you pick this collectoion edition up.

The games are more of an experiance than a game, the animation, lighting, gameplay, charectors and asthetic design all culminate to create an atmospheric and beutiful adventure.

ICO is about a young boy who must escape a strange land with a mysterious girl who is held captive by strange shodowy creatures, you must work together to solve puzzles, escape enemies and traps, defeat monsters and ultimately win your freedom, truely one of the most beutiful and atmospheric games out there on any generation of console, this game deserves to sit proudly amongst your collection.

Shadow of the Collosus is the sequal to ICO, your charector has grown into a young man and travels to a forbiden land to seek the aid of a demon to save the life of your mysterious companion from the previous adventure. Whilst the game keeps the sthetic qualitys of the origional it has vastly differant gameplay, for a start it is an open world sandbox adventure, your main task is to destroy huge giants, there are no minions to fight, only the hugely intimidating creatures which the game has you clambering up like some sort of animated structure, theryre made of part stone part flesh and each colossus has its own individual way of defeating it whether it be climbing up it back hair and gripping to it back for dear life plunging a sword into its weak spot, leaping fromyour stampeding stalion onto a giants wing and slowly working your way along its snake like body and 100 mph 10,000 ft in the air or even being tossed around on a giants beard as you desperately slash at its face with your sword, truely epic in every sense of the word, if you regard yourself as a serious gamer you owe it to yourself to experiance the adventures of a young boy named ico.
  30. Sep 27, 2011
    I had previously played Ico, but never picked up shadow of the colossus. I had a lot of people tell me shadow of the colossus was a must play so I picked it up. Both of these games are excellent and well worth 20 dollars a piece(since it is 2 games in the bundle.) The graphics on Ico are quite a bit better than before and shadow of the colossus is a beautiful game as well. I can stop playing it

1. Feb 2, 2012
    If video games aren't art, then ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection is not a video game. It's a staggering compilation of two of the most creative, intimate and emotional pieces of interactive entertainment ever conceived.
  2. Nov 27, 2011
    They're absolutely, without a doubt, worth buying. [Issue#210, p.78]
    High Def remake is one of the shiniest gaming jewels – this conversion is an extraordinary and unique game that is a must have for any PlayStation 3 owner. [Nov 2011]