8.2

1. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rated 10 on the main game , but this DLC showed me everything... that when a developer gets to be very perfect here comes **** I know not everyone shares my opinion . I 've become very attached to the first game , and never crossed my mind that one day Ellie had a lesbian impulse with her best friend . Playing DLC I noticed that affection between the two girls was natural , but the relationship was intensify. And then suddenly, Ellie kisses Riley . It may be an innocent kiss, but I have my doubts . The problem is that in my opinion totally changed my perspective on the character in the main campaign . Why the hell would do that one DLC ? Okay , there is a fenomenal narrative and scenarios so well made , but the key factor here is not it. Ellie gay ? Is it? A revelation of such importance in a DLC ? This kind of issue should be addressed early on in the campaign. Here we go ..... if Ellie and Riley shared a strong feeling among them , why not Ellie took his own life , knowing was infected and her had only the time as enemy? In my opinion the writer had a serious problem in considering the history in the main campaign or they wanted from the beginning to present Ellie as gay .

The issue is that the DLC changed my eyesight on the character in the story, I mean, the game played with your conscious presenting two perspectives, when the first was practically defined (creating another completely useless).
  2. Feb 14, 2014
    If you've played Last of Us, you've already played this DLC. No, seriously, you've played it already.

The narrative of the game is easily noticeable as that's the only real new thing it has to offer. It's a ONE HOUR glimpse into Ellie's past. Remember that friend of hers she talked about, and the incident leading up to her infection? Well, this is it. You get to experience a brief
    moment in her life before s**t went south. So, what was Naughty Dog's answer to all the boring dialog scenes you have to sit through? Replay some moments of the original game of course! :D That's right folks, you get to enjoy playing that area of the game where Ellie is looking after Joel...again. Granted, it's not exactly the same moments from the original, but close enough that it feels like deja vu rather than deja new. While this part of the DLC may appear to be the foil to an otherwise boring task, rightfully so...that's exactly what it is. It's unoriginal, unnecessary, and it reeks of a cash grab. For all the things that Naughty Dog could have done, they chose to cut corners instead. Sadly, diehard fans and non-paying-for-this-content reviewers are not going to be the people to caution you against a purchase like this. So consider that one can purchase a theater ticket for less and squeeze more time out of the experience than this. Expand
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    First off, I LOVED The Last of Us. This is just a snippet of that awesome game. Left Behind is ridiculously too short, LESS THAN 2 HOURS! I feel ripped off!!! No new weapons, creatures, or anything worth mentioning... DO NOT waste your money! DO NOT trust anyone who gave this and the bug riddled Battlefield 4 game a 10, it simply isn't. This is so short it should have been a reward for finishing the main story on Hard or something.... NOT worth the price at all. I would have rated a lot higher if it was free. When you pay $27.95 (NZ dollars) for a dlc i expect much MUCH more than this! Expand
  4. Feb 16, 2014
    This DLC was not worth €15. Finished it in 2.5 hrs on hard mode. It does very little of fleshing out Ellie's back story as intended. The flashbacks to how she found supplies for Joel were more enjoyable than the Riley segments, by a long shot. I just didn't find Riley interesting at all, and the actor who voiced her was way older than the character was meant to be. Spoke like an adult. I love ND and TLOU, but this was a real let down. Expand
  5. Feb 17, 2014
    This is an interesting look into Ellie's backstory, but there is too much down time between big events. It's can be slow and plodding at times. Then, when it does pick up, you end getting nonsense like a super-soaker fight between teen girls. I LOVE the Last of Us, and I'm happy I played it for the backstory, but $15 for less than 2 1/2 hours of gameplay feels like robbery. This DLC needs more of what made TLoU great. It was an OK experience, but there definitely isn't anything memorable about it. It needs more tense moments, more big twists, more anything. Expand
  6. Mar 29, 2014
    A poorly written afterthought that was overly reliant on her relationship with her friend. If you played Last of Us, there is nothing new. When I say nothing new I mean nothing period. The game is the same and you know EXACTLY what happens. Nothing is added to the narrative and nothing is helpful in filling out the backstory. This DLC was a waste of time, it was a waste of my time and money and it was a waste of Naughty Dogs time. The only thing that people remotely talk about is that two girls kiss. Its there to either shock you, make you feel good, or to push an agenda, nothing more. This DLC ANGERED me and I am upset that I had to pay for it, regardless of the price.
    The combat itself is all the same. They force you to fight in a large and excessive enemy rush that seems tacked on and unnecessary. Even the often referred to ability to coax survivors into fighting infected is badly programmed at best. The enemies clearly seem unintended to fight one another so it becomes a joke to watch them flail around in a mock fight.
    You'll love this DLC if you fall into the trap of whatever message they seem to think they are trying to share. Pulling at the heart strings of the consumer does not make for a good game or good writing. Otherwise don't waste your time.
  7. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel violated. I did not want to rate the initial game because I knew a dlc was coming, but if I had to, I would give it at least a 9/10.

But this here guys is completely unacceptable. 15€ for one hour of cutscenes, 40 minutes of walking, and five minutes of QTEs and a fight (yes it is singular, you can avoid the other ones with astounding ease). Nothing is new in gameplay, there is even less than in the full game.

The worst part of it is that you basically learn nothing interesting. Riley is one of the least interesting characters ever. She just is the kind of people you want to hate and slap over and over. The thing is you know how it ends even before the first cutscene ends. And when the credits start to roll, I was like : "Ok, I knew it would end this way, but that's it ? That's not finished. Literally."

And what's wrong with the AI ? Why did it go completely stupid ignoring bricks/bottles, and being bugged by cover places ?

But the biggest let down yet, I just can't believe they show Ellie like that. She's completely another person. It completely ruined what I thought of her.

Anyway... This "extension" should cost 5€, or should have been included in the game from the start (it feels a lot like a deleted scene reimplemented because of hype).
  8. May 5, 2014
    next to bioshock infinite this content was the most disappointing. it was short pointless and covered story we had already heard about plus they screwed with the story by throwing in a little romance that just reminded me of cliche action movies not the last of us i have come to love.
  9. Apr 10, 2014
    The Last of Us had a lot of potential to be a great game, so it's quite sad to see that instead of building upon that potential, Left Behind is a step down from The Last of Us in nearly every way. The story was a good idea but poorly executed. The combat just feels even more forced than it did in The Last of Us. This DLC adds nothing and is too short to even be worth the price.
  10. Apr 14, 2014
    I was a fan of the original game, but Left Behind is a disappointment. There is nothing shocking or well done about this add-on. It's short, overpriced, and has next to no gameplay. I beat it in 2 hours on survivor difficulty. Some might say "quantity over quality," but that doesn't apply to this content. Choppy transitions between past and present, less than 30 min. of ACTUAL gameplay, and absolutely no replay value, make this DLC poorly one, and not worth your time or money. Expand
  11. Feb 22, 2014
    I was disappointed by this DLC prelude story. You play as Ellie the entire time. It was a decent addition to the main story but it was way too short for me and was kind of weak. It only takes about 2 hours to complete and I really think they should lower the price for it. This is a must have for fans only and I felt like this really wasn't necessary to make.
  12. Aug 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I haven't even finished this yet but already I don't like it. I absolutely LOVED The Last of US - best game and story I've ever played - played it about 3 times already and counting. Gave it a 10 out of 10. This DLC has ruined it for me. Ellie was cute and precocious in TLOU with her occasional cussing here and there - somehow they made it cute - probably because she had more profound dialog in other areas. In Left Behind they went overboard - she comes across as a foul-mouthed wanna-be punk trying to please Riley by showing her how cool she is and how much she can cuss. Can't believe this came from the same writer. Or did it? At one point she says, 'they can suck my dick?" She doesn't even have one!! This line totally turned me off coming from Ellie. Totally unnecessary. I do not like the Riley character at all - she doesn't really seem to care for Ellie at all - she's a manipulator and seems like a thrill-seeker who doesn't care if Ellie gets in trouble. And spending 1/2 hour in a Halloween shop listening to two teenagers cuss up a storm is my kind of fun! NOT!! The whole time they were in the mall I kept wanting to scream to them - "You idiots - keep your voices down, there could be infected around!!" Totally inane dialog and did not make me like either of them at all. In fact, I felt sorry for Ellie. She needs to 'wisen the **** up' regarding Riley.

And then the gay thing - why do they always have to throw this crap in games? I'm not anti-gay - I'm anti-gratuitous sex!! I just don't see the reason for this. Why couldn't they just be friends without having sexual overtones thrown in? I know some girls go through this getting a crush on an older girl stage in life, but what I'm against is gratuitous sex, period! And I'm getting sick of it in games, TV, movies, etc. This game would have been just fine (well, a lot better anyway) without that scene!! Even though they implied that Bill was gay (there we go again) TLOU had no sex or romance and was a 10 out of 10 game! That should tell you something Naughty Dog. You don't need sex to sell games. Good stories and game play sell games. And Bill was extremely funny and had great lines! Best minor character, IMO. And it seemed to fit with the world - not too many women around his town so it made sense. A good story is what counts - And Left Behind is not a good story. In fact, it lowered my opinion of Ellie - I thought she was smarter that this!

The only thing that saves this DLC is when Ellie is hunting for supplies to help Joel. Then we get back to the real Last of Us. I absolutely love the Joel character and this was one of the most touching scenes in the first game. Always wondered how Ellie stitched him up or even got him back on the horse after he fell off.

I'll continue playing but I was glad I used an Amazon gift certificate for this so was only out $4.99. Not your best effort at all, Naughty Dog. More is not always best - we don't need more sex, more cussing and more background to Ellie's life just to make a buck. Very disappointed!!!!!!!!!

BTW - this is the reason I do not pre-order games. You think a company makes a great game so the next will be great? NOT!!! No matter how great the first game is companies tend to rush out DLC or 2nd games just to make money. Was burned by Dragon Age 2, Watch Dogs, etc. and now this.
  13. May 22, 2014
    Thought I would drop in quick and give a quick comment. First off I love The Last of Us. It was an amazing game and I've spent a lot of time in the game. With that said, the $15 I payed for this 2 hour sad fest was very disappointing, if anything this DLC should have been free to $5. Keep in mind when I say this I think most DLC should be around $5 if your only getting 1 or 2 hours of content that may or may have not been ripped from the making of the original game. Anyway, this is not any special insight into Ellie’s background, there is one tiny revelation that is hinted at earlier in the game that is confirmed here. Nothing else, the DLC is filled with bad mini games, along with one specific battle that feel like it was pulled from the original game and shelled off as DLC. The only part I enjoyed was some of the dialogue. I just can't understand how people are OK with paying $15 for this. Don't keep doing this people or content will continue to shrink and have no actual value. Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2014
    Boring, girl talk movie clip with a dash of action, and of course, the same clunky controls and poor fighting mechanics. A total waste of money. I will avoid this company's games in future.

1. Jun 28, 2014
    There’s a scene in Left Behind proving that Naughty Dog not only has ambition to elevate games to the rank of art form, but simply does it. [05/2014, p.64]
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    A fantastic way to extend an already brilliant narrative, and made with a hugely engaging structure. [May 2014, p.69]
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    It's short - perhaps a little too short for the price - but Left Behind exhibits the same exceptional quality that made The Last of Us one of PS3's finest. [Issue#242, p.56]