• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. Jun 29, 2013
    I loved this game until I was thrown into the woods and saw an arrow go through a baby bunny. And then I had to kill a deer. Sigh. Everything up until that point was excellent. Production values were amazing. Stealth was a blast. The crafting system felt rewarding. And the dialogue between the two main characters was more deep than anything I've experienced in a game before.
  2. Aug 31, 2013
    seriously? the universal praise on this is baffling. great story and visuals crippled by cheap play mechanic one hit kills. no thank you. keep your boxy, repetitive environments. this is little more than pac man hiding under layers of sheen (stunted, grim, cliched post apocalyptic sheen)
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    A good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "beenA good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "been there, done that" feel to them. The puzzles are very easy and almost feel unnecessary in that way. If you are going to include puzzles, at least make the fun and interesting to solve. The scavenging and crafting make sense and fit well in a survival game like this but the system could have been fleshed out a lot more. Finding half broken scissors to build shivs and shrapnel bombs loses it's effect after the 100th time you do it. The graphics are great for a current gen game and the cinematics are integrated well. I tried the multiplayer and it was actually pretty good but probably won't become your new staple anytime soon. Expand
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    In my opinion, this game is incredibly overhyped. I'm thinking that it's mostly due to the summer lull and E3 excitement.

Let's keep it short: - Very linear gameplay - TERRIBLE AI (the amount of time I got discovered because my two "friendlies" are in the way is ridiculous) - Horrible "mega-glow-in-the-dark-zombie-mushroom" (a la Resident Evil) - Varying graphics (from pretty good,

Let's keep it short:
    - Very linear gameplay
    - Horrible "mega-glow-in-the-dark-zombie-mushroom" (a la Resident Evil)
    - Varying graphics (from pretty good, to damn awful)
    - For the amount of PR "push" they gave to the main character looking like Ellen page... well she doesn't look AT ALL like her in the actual game
    - Sometimes unclear as to what is the objective
    - Interesting intro/premise, quickly followed by pretty normal "we found the cure" type of scenario.

I'd give a 6. It's not bad, but it's far from great. It's deeply over-hyped.
  5. Jun 23, 2013
    Uncharted meets The Walking Dead meets The Road. The Last of Us is a good game, but it is one undeserving of the 10/10 scores it's been getting. I read it being described as "The Citizen Kane of videogames"; if this is the best we can expect, the future does indeed look mediocre. Nothing revolutionary here. Writing is really good, the story is not original but it's very well delivered, itUncharted meets The Walking Dead meets The Road. The Last of Us is a good game, but it is one undeserving of the 10/10 scores it's been getting. I read it being described as "The Citizen Kane of videogames"; if this is the best we can expect, the future does indeed look mediocre. Nothing revolutionary here. Writing is really good, the story is not original but it's very well delivered, it makes you feel a strong connection to the main characters, voice acting is stunning and I've fallen in love with the amazing soundtrack. If it were a film, I'd have liked it more, but it's supposed to be a game, and that's where problems begin: repetitive, very repetitive, very very repetitive Uncharted-style gameplay (shoot, explore, shoot some more... whenever you see cover, you know what's about to come; once you're done with the enemies in the area, you know nobody will show up for a while and then it's the time to check every corner for a million pointless collectibles or to complete once again one of the three available puzzles without being disturbed), glitches and bugs that break the immersion in the most painful ways, stupid IA and linear progression. It's not a bad game, but it's far from the masterpiece hype has made us believe it to be Expand
  6. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't understand why this game gets so much praise, sure it's fun, but the characters and especially the ending is just so stupid! Sure, I get what's going on in the story, but it's all been said before, it's a zombie apocalypse, nothing special.
    As for the characters, I hated them all, Joel was boring, Ellie was close to make me care about her, but didn't really pull at any of my heartstrings.
    And now the part that gives the game such a low score: The ending.
    Okay, after killing thousands of innocent people, Joel gets Ellie (who is immune to the virus) to the Fireflies (the people who are working on a cure), when he realizes that giving Ellie to the Fireflies will end up killing her for the sake of humanity, he grabs an assault rifle and kills everyone in the hospital, and when the leader of the Fireflies tries to make him reason, he pulls a pistol out nowhere and shoots her! Why?! When they give you plenty of choices during the game, why don't we get a choice here?! I wanted to save humanity, but nope, the developers tried their best to make an unappealing story for me.
    And the very end is either a cliffhanger or doesn't make sense, because Joel asks Ellie to never speak of what happened, and end on Ellie saying "yes". So Joel got away with killing a bunch of innocent people? How stupid is that?!
    While I can see why people like this game, it's just not for me, call me a hipster, but it won't change the fact that I think this game was only average.
  7. Jun 15, 2013
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay.

Why the low score? I played the game on release day and because Naughty Dog failed to set up their servers correctly I lost over 4 hours of gameplay due to the autosave bug. I've lost the desire to re play the four hours lost so soon after playing through it. My fault for expecting a working product on release! I'd recommend playing
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay.

Why the low score?

I'd recommend playing offline in case Naughty Dog mess up again. If we could turn the auto save function off or putting the auto save issues aside then this review changes to a 9.
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    As a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea ofAs a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea of transporting someone from point A to point B, in the end, graphics are quite good, gameplay is average though puzzle solving and platforming sections are nearly exactly the same every time in a different area which is frustrating, another criticism I have is the ending, it left me speechless, but in the wrong way, I couldn't tell weather the game was good or bad after reaching the ending, which just felt like I went in an entire circle and happened abruptly, it wasn't a bad or good ending it was more like a stalemate in gaming, in the end, if you're looking for perfect. the first half-hour will be impressive, but the rest of the game, simply became an exercise or predictability, sudden and annoying combat and a story that tries to invest you emotionally, but worked more at the beginning then it did in the actual ending, in the end, I am waiting for the day when games like Spec Ops, The Walking Dead and the new Tomb Raider are combined properly without any problems and choice that affects the story, not just the combat, In the end, an overrated game, but not a bad one, the story intrigued me at the time despite predictability but ended horribly Expand
  9. Jun 19, 2013
    This is a tough one. It's worth the price simply for the multiplayer. But that's it.

It's like Tomb Raider (2013) but doesn't look as good or control as smoothly. It's like Spec Ops: The Line but without the precision or mind-bending plot twists and paranoia. It's like Uncharted but without the wit, humor or action. It's like Bioshock Infinite but your NPC companion(s) aren't

It's like Tomb Raider (2013) but doesn't look as good or control as smoothly.

It's like Uncharted but without the wit, humor or action.

It's like Bioshock Infinite but your NPC companion(s) aren't as engaging or useful.

The Last of Us is a very mediocre game wrapped up in some jaw-dropping production values. The graphics, music and acting are of the highest quality...

...but when the gameplay is as repetitive as it is in the single player it simply doesn't matter.

But the multiplayer just about saves it but only just, and it may well not appeal to a generation raised on COD:MW and BlOPS. For once a shooter has a multiplayer mode that requires teamwork, preparation and planning. It's generally slow-paced, punctuated with moments of panic and extreme brutality. Tough and compelling. Great stuff.

Single player: dull, repetitive and boring eye candy.

Multiplayer: a mixture of careful planning and crowbar-to-the-face brutality. Great fun.
  10. Jun 24, 2013
    I have finished the game earlier this week, since then I had some time to reflect about it.

After getting over my „fanboism“, cause I have been awaiting this game for quite a while, to look at it from a more neutral perspective, I must say that “The Last Of Us” is OVERRATED! Now bear with me, Im not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very

Now bear with me, Im not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where im coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. It just seems overall like it was designed for the casual gamer, so parents and infants could easily beat it. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of glichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have ever witnessed in a videogame, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Videogames where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of videogames is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes videogames, or art in general, I didn't mean to sound too negative about it I just wanted to express why I think gamesites giving it 10 out of 10s is complete
  11. Jun 26, 2013
    First let me say that this game is good, it's not great. You might think your playing the excellent uncharted series as it feels like it quite a lot of the time. It looks good but underneath the fancy graphics its pretty basic. Games seem to be becoming more and more easy and this is too easy. Survivor mode is disabled until you beat the game. The enemy AI is so forgiving and you mightFirst let me say that this game is good, it's not great. You might think your playing the excellent uncharted series as it feels like it quite a lot of the time. It looks good but underneath the fancy graphics its pretty basic. Games seem to be becoming more and more easy and this is too easy. Survivor mode is disabled until you beat the game. The enemy AI is so forgiving and you might find your given health out of nowhere just because they don't want you to get frustrated. I should say the voice acting is brilliant, though the supporting characters you meet along the way are dull and boring. Its the game play I care about, that kind of stuff should be good, considering how much money was spent on the game. Long gone are the games where you work your ass off to finally get to the big bad this just leaves you saying is that it! Expand
  12. Jun 23, 2013
    i don"t really see why the game is so good the voice acting is great but the game play lacks after 2 or 3 hours you do the same thing shoot or stealth kill 5 or 10 bad guys move along have some dialog while walking around a small area to find more supplies. the crafting is Very limited you get like 6 things to craft that's it. the story is ok its not like you cant get it from another gamei don"t really see why the game is so good the voice acting is great but the game play lacks after 2 or 3 hours you do the same thing shoot or stealth kill 5 or 10 bad guys move along have some dialog while walking around a small area to find more supplies. the crafting is Very limited you get like 6 things to craft that's it. the story is ok its not like you cant get it from another game or movie. some of the dialog that you have whit Ellie is funny but gets old. the environments are bleak and depressing like when you walk into spores you can't see anything. the navigation is crap you wander around to find there's always only one way you can take to get some where. the bad guys suck all generic and they all take 4 to 5 shots to kill why, if you screw up they should die in 2 to 3. the clickers there and interesting type but to make them insta kill you then you put 3 to 5 in one room unless you find 75 pills you will want to rip your hair out. over all the game is sub-par at best all you need to do to get a story like this plus game play is play metal gear solid, resident evil, and metro 2033 or the new metro and cluster them together and you get the last of us Expand
  13. Jul 29, 2013
    What the hell was I thinking???? I gave this game a 7 only 5 hours into the game. I guess because I'm so burned out with zombie games. But I'm rewriting this review to say I'm absolutely obsessed with this game. Game of this generation..on ps3...xbox...maybe even xbox one.

Not enough talk about multiplayer...so I'm going to talk about it. Multiplayer....omg..awesome. Very addictive. I haven't thought this much about multiplayer since when modern warfare first came out in 2007. At first I was getting slaughtered...but you have to think to win. I hate even bringing up COD since it sucks so bad now, but trust me this game is revolutionary. Check it out, even if you dispize zombie stuff like I do
  14. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seriously? 10/10?
    Ok, here we go:
    Brilliant storyline? Yeah, right, old and grumpy ex-dad who lost his kid and young girl who suddenly is the only hope because she is immune to infection... well, that's something new... oh wait. NOT!
    Awesome game-play? But of course. Walk->Dialog->Fight clicker soldier bandit Smalltalk Walk Move trashcan plank ladder Repeat (also, linear, linear, linear)
    Crafting? Awesome again. Use binding and blade to create a one-use knife. Is this blade made of paper? And the best of all... use rag and alcohol to create molotov or... HEALTH KIT! :D
    Unpredictable plot? After 30 minutes in game I made a bet with my friend that Tess will be bitten and she will die in "heroic" AND that Ellie will be immune to infection... guess what, winning beer was delicious.
    Character development... right. Collect 30 pills to increase reloading.
    Weapon modifications... right again. Collect 25 "PARTS" to expand clip size. COME ON, Dead Island had way better crafting.
    Ok, environment is quite nice, graphics is not the best I've ever seen.
    And last but not least. There was PLENTY of ammo and I've finished the game with a lot of bullet still in my backpack.
    P.S. I don't have XBOX, and I don't like XBOX
    P.S2 I was playing on the highest difficulty
    P.S3 I like Uncharted series
  15. Jul 5, 2013
    Fantastic, emotional, tense. The Last of Us provides the opportunity for real immersion, provided you are willing to let yourself be sucked into the story and care for your characters. One of the main protagonists, Joel, provides the emotionally battered, steel wall figure, while Ellie challenges the armour he shrouds himself in. Cliché? Yes of course it is, but the voice acting andFantastic, emotional, tense. The Last of Us provides the opportunity for real immersion, provided you are willing to let yourself be sucked into the story and care for your characters. One of the main protagonists, Joel, provides the emotionally battered, steel wall figure, while Ellie challenges the armour he shrouds himself in. Cliché? Yes of course it is, but the voice acting and animation, while not necessarily the best that's ever been seen, especially given graphics produced on earlier technologies (see FFX cutscenes on PS2), provoke an emotional response and sense of attachment regardless. In terms of dark, gritty storytelling interspersed with feel good respite, this is one of the finest games I have ever played, and it's all thanks to the atmosphere.
    However, before you rush out to buy this game, be warned! If you play games for gameplay, give this one a miss. Yes for the first hour or so the combat and stealth is very tense and trying, but once the limits of the AI have been revealed, the game descends into a fairly tedious exercise of stick and move, with even critical errors in judgement not being heavily punished. Survivor difficulty adds an extra layer of fun, however, with supplies being incredibly limited and the "hearing" x-ray ability being removed altogether, making the experience much more intense.
    Some will live for the stealth gameplay, others will find this progress tedious and unfulfilling but thankfully the game provisions for both elements, thus aiding in reducing the tedium. Extras like notes and voice recordings add depth for those who, like me, enjoy immersing themselves into the story.

Overall I'd have to say that while this game provides fairly average gameplay and a tired and cliché story, the execution of of both is fantastic. Better gameplay and a more original premise would have made this game truly unique and put it up among the timeless greats like FFVII and Silent Hill 2, but even so this is a hugely entertaining game and was for me a 10/10 experience.
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    Very overrated, but not bad. This game has some fantastic missions, that you just never want to end, but it also has some missions where you feel it drags on and on and on. The story, while also not bad, is just there, it feels like a very complex escort mission. As for the gameplay, it is fairly basic, you craft things like bombs, molotov and health kits by finding various resources inVery overrated, but not bad. This game has some fantastic missions, that you just never want to end, but it also has some missions where you feel it drags on and on and on. The story, while also not bad, is just there, it feels like a very complex escort mission. As for the gameplay, it is fairly basic, you craft things like bombs, molotov and health kits by finding various resources in the world. This is a cool concept, that is well executed, and I hope to see it in more games. The cover system is also far superior to most, as it isn't a sticky system, and you can move in and out of cover seamlessly. As for the multiplayer, which most aren't even mentioning, is actually the high point of the game. If they were to add more modes, and 5v5 and 6v6 games, it would be one of the best this generation. One more thing to mention would be the great visuals and sound track, while they aren't the best, they are very, very good. To conclude:
    Single Player: 6
    Multiplayer: 9 (Just needs more modes and larger matches.)
    Graphics and Sound:8
    Conclusion: 7/10
  17. Oct 4, 2013
    I got really bored by this game quickly. I think it shares in concept a lot with Telltale's Walking Dead Game. But I found the Walking Dead Game way more impactful, emotional, interesting and fun. It has the same feeling as Call of Duty of being on an Amusement park ride where you're locked onto one track with only the illusion of choice. The gameplay is incredibly boring and not fun justI got really bored by this game quickly. I think it shares in concept a lot with Telltale's Walking Dead Game. But I found the Walking Dead Game way more impactful, emotional, interesting and fun. It has the same feeling as Call of Duty of being on an Amusement park ride where you're locked onto one track with only the illusion of choice. The gameplay is incredibly boring and not fun just to arrive at another cut scene. I think maybe just watch all the cut scenes on You Tube would provide the best way to get the story if its as great as everyone says. Expand
  18. Dec 18, 2013
    The Last of Us is more of an interactive movie than a game? There is lots of cutscenes and stuff which help the story but the gameplay is ok at best. I am not hating on the game I'm just saying the story is so good that it makes the semi repetitive gameplay not an issue. Hell I didn't even notice it while playing but once I was finished I didn't feel like playing it again. Some cheatsThe Last of Us is more of an interactive movie than a game? There is lots of cutscenes and stuff which help the story but the gameplay is ok at best. I am not hating on the game I'm just saying the story is so good that it makes the semi repetitive gameplay not an issue. Hell I didn't even notice it while playing but once I was finished I didn't feel like playing it again. Some cheats would have been nice to help mix up the gameplay either to help or make it harder for you depending on the cheat. The online was horrible. Some things just kill you too fast like a Molotov or the stick. An offline mode with bots would have been nice but the game just has to have an online pass so no hope for offline multiplier with bots ever. Also a lack of game modes online is disappointing but that's not even what the game is about and doesn't effect my score on the game in the slightest. So it has a great story and feel was amazing I just wish there was some more replay value with offline bots and cheats for the story. Expand
  19. Feb 12, 2014
    Fairly good game, nothing that hasn't already been done. It's set in your default zombie apocalypse world, and has two fairly default characters. Worth playing if you have extra time, but definitely not the holy grail of games as most people make it seem. This is of course the game in which brought us the amazing line " I just shot the hell out of that guy" Coming out of the mouth of aFairly good game, nothing that hasn't already been done. It's set in your default zombie apocalypse world, and has two fairly default characters. Worth playing if you have extra time, but definitely not the holy grail of games as most people make it seem. This is of course the game in which brought us the amazing line " I just shot the hell out of that guy" Coming out of the mouth of a normal person. Expand
  20. Jul 18, 2014
    Little late in the game for anyone to read this I suppose, but here it goes. Had some extra cash, asked people for a game that could help me kill some time over the weekend, and this came highly recommended. So I picked it up for my collection. Maybe I just don't get it. The game looked nice, but I didn't want to keep playing. Felt like just going from point A to B over and over again. DoLittle late in the game for anyone to read this I suppose, but here it goes. Had some extra cash, asked people for a game that could help me kill some time over the weekend, and this came highly recommended. So I picked it up for my collection. Maybe I just don't get it. The game looked nice, but I didn't want to keep playing. Felt like just going from point A to B over and over again. Do a puzzle, navigate a room, get a cutscene, do a puzzle, navigate a room, get a cutscene. Periodically I would find myself dreading to do the next puzzle and not want to play anymore.

I'd say if you want to play it go rent it somewhere. The story and characters were "ok" in my opinion. It wasn't enough to make me want to finish the story (but I did).
  21. Jul 22, 2014
    Don’t get fooled by the over the moon positive reviews. I think this game is overrated. It is a stealth zombie game full of post-apocalyptic clichés. And the stealth mechanic does not work all that well. It is hard remain undetected and if spotted you get exposed to a frustrating head-on fight with enemies attacking from any direction. The levels are big and most of the time there is noDon’t get fooled by the over the moon positive reviews. I think this game is overrated. It is a stealth zombie game full of post-apocalyptic clichés. And the stealth mechanic does not work all that well. It is hard remain undetected and if spotted you get exposed to a frustrating head-on fight with enemies attacking from any direction. The levels are big and most of the time there is no clear indication where to go. So you will want to kill all enemies in a cluster and then search for an exit, which makes true stealth game play difficult or even impossible. The game bored me too much. Mid-game I changed the difficulty to easy and forced myself to finish it. I wish I'd skipped this game. Count me out for The Last of Us 2 Expand
  22. Jul 28, 2014
    As a walking simulator, 10/10. As a video game, 6/10. Most of the game is a mixture of perambulatory locomotive dislocation with a few moments of hide-run-shoot. I liked the style of the snowy villa area and boss, but the bulk of the decrepit architecture and overall world design made me realize that maybe, just maybe, meandering around the end of the world isn't the entertainment festAs a walking simulator, 10/10. As a video game, 6/10. Most of the game is a mixture of perambulatory locomotive dislocation with a few moments of hide-run-shoot. I liked the style of the snowy villa area and boss, but the bulk of the decrepit architecture and overall world design made me realize that maybe, just maybe, meandering around the end of the world isn't the entertainment fest everyone knows it will be. Expand
  23. Jan 8, 2016
    I feel that The Last of Us is overrated. The graphics and sound were both very well done, as was the story, but I found the gameplay quite repetitive and tedious. The Last of Us utilizes stealth, which functions well, but the AI isn't the best, which takes a little bit away from it. The aspect that really makes me frown upon the game is the amount of time dedicated to carrying ladders andI feel that The Last of Us is overrated. The graphics and sound were both very well done, as was the story, but I found the gameplay quite repetitive and tedious. The Last of Us utilizes stealth, which functions well, but the AI isn't the best, which takes a little bit away from it. The aspect that really makes me frown upon the game is the amount of time dedicated to carrying ladders and shoving around crates to climb over obstacles. A third of the damn game was spent lugging around heavy objects so Joel could continue on finding more crates to shove, more repetitive combat, or another boring cutscene. Naughty Dog did, however, hit the atmosphere right on the head, and come up with a fairly good story, although it's nothing revolutionary. They also did a great job with the voice acting and the game's characters in general. I might've reviewed it a little harshly, but I don't feel it quite deserves an eight. Expand
  24. Feb 16, 2016
    It's a great game for a single playthrough with interesting level design and enemies just don't expect much replay value. Chances that you reach the end and not get at least slightly irritated are almost none. I won't share spoilers but you will feel like all the hard work you did was for nothing. When you consider that Max Payne 3 almost had a perfect rating upon release (it's aIt's a great game for a single playthrough with interesting level design and enemies just don't expect much replay value. Chances that you reach the end and not get at least slightly irritated are almost none. I won't share spoilers but you will feel like all the hard work you did was for nothing. When you consider that Max Payne 3 almost had a perfect rating upon release (it's a god-awful game), it's no wonder this game has such an overhyped rating. Still I give it a well deserved 7/10. Expand
  25. Apr 11, 2016
    After playing this game further for more time, I still like it but the gun play mechanics really suck! Uncharted and other games have far better gun play mechanics. It takes 20 shots to down a clicker and aiming guns really is a pain in the ass. IF I had spent $60 for the game, then it would get a much lower score because of the frustrating crappy game controls. Also, shivs break afterAfter playing this game further for more time, I still like it but the gun play mechanics really suck! Uncharted and other games have far better gun play mechanics. It takes 20 shots to down a clicker and aiming guns really is a pain in the ass. IF I had spent $60 for the game, then it would get a much lower score because of the frustrating crappy game controls. Also, shivs break after once use and it is hard to find materials to craft these which you need a lot of to make progress in the game. Graphics and animation are decent for PS3. Also, one thing I wish the game had was a more open atmosphere to backtrack and explore. It is too linear and you cannot backtrack to places you were in earlier to find things you missed. Uncharted has this problem as well. I wish they had better open system like the Assassins Creed and Fallout 3 which let you wander the area to find things you missed. Plus Ellie is annoying a very stupid NPC kid that I wanted to beat the crap out of for being such an idiot. Tess is annoying as well and when she got whacked it was a relief to be rid of her. Another thing that bugged me on the game were how useless the NPC characters are. When dozens of Clickers and Runners bum rush you the NPC stand around useless. Why? Expand
  26. Jul 6, 2017
    "Niña ven pacá' que tengo un bate de beisbol a punto para estampartelo en tus sesos con un hongo incipiente bloqueado debido a tu inmunidad biologica" -una situación que se repite durante todo el juego, no sin antes recolectar mil objetos de los cuales solo me interesan las vendas y algún cartucho.
    El modus operandi del juego es ejecutar la estrategia denominada "los tres mosqueteros" que consiste en: recolectar-cinemática-cazar durante toda la campaña, aún no estoy seguro de si meter esto en la caja del spoiler ya que TODO el tiempo es necesario hacerlo, si no lo haces viene el coco en forma de zombi y te come.
    Ellen Page está espectacular durante todo el metraje pero mejor hubiese sido que en lugar de zombis hubiese mujeres esbeltas del gusto de la señorita.
  27. Dec 22, 2013
    I feel that this game would have been better served had it been purely designed as a point and click adventure game. The story and pacing was well executed, the actors all did an amazing job with their performances. Unfortunately the game is weighed down by generic and downright forgettable gameplay.

Much of the action felt bland and in fact really didn't add much to the overall

Much of the action felt bland and in fact really didn't add much to the overall narrative. While it's great to see more games with deeper storylines, the designers have to step up their game to be on par with the writers on the team.

In the end of the day, it's a rental as it really is light on the replayability so I can't recommend the game as a purchase unlike most people. For what it offers though it is worth a single playthrough though, you really owe it to yourself at least.
  28. Aug 23, 2014
    This is THE most overrated I have ever played. But read on - I'm not a mindless hater. The game is good, It's just not as good as everyone is leading you to believe.
    So The Last of Us is a game from Naughty Dog, and as such - it comes with some privileges, like better understanding of PlayStation Tech and a pretty huge budget. This guarantees it won't be a bad game, and it's not. But let me tell you why it isn't the masterpiece everyone has been leading all of us to believe it is.
    Graphically, it's a pretty game. A lot of people go out of their way to tell us how beautiful it is. And sure, some scenes do look awesome, some views are indeed, as Ellie points out at least 50 times during the game, pretty good, but it isn't the best looking PS3 game, nor the best that Naughty Dog have delivered. If you disagree, go back and play Uncharted 3 again - better design, better texture quality. It is pretty obvious that this game has been toned down from the PS4 version to be released on PS3.
    The sound and voicework are pretty awesome, as most games from this dev delivered thus far. Some soundtrack choices are peculiar, but haunting and moving none the less.
    However, the writing of the game is noticeably worse than what we've come to expect from Naughty Dog. Particularly, Ellie's part is written terribly, giving the actress no actual words to work with. And the overall plot has huge issues, mainly the fact that the game is not about anything. It isn't about Joel and Ellie and their relationship, it's not about a journey, it's not even about saving human kind - it's just a game with nothing to say. It's a empty, fun vessel and nothing more. The Director missed too many of opportunities to make this experience special or noteworthy. The most interesting part of The Last of Us are the Infected, though the game isn't much about them either. / SPOILERS / And the ending is too disappointing to even be considered a proper ending. Without giving too much away, it practically makes the whole game entirely pointless. Most games end with the player saving the world, or someone special. The world - obvious choice, it makes everyone feel at least a bit happy with their experience. However, this game forces you to make the other choice and save someone special. However, the game didn't give me not one reason to really care and like neither Joel or Ellie, and even if you like them - the thing is that the game does not make you feel for Ellie as Joel feels for her, and that is where the problems lie, in my opinion. / END SPOILERS /
    Gameplay is probably the strongest point of The Last of Us, however there are a few issues with pacing here and there, along with a few really awkward decisions that lead nowhere. Even at that, both stealth sections and gunfights are intense, well-thought out and balanced - probably the best we've seen from Naughty Dog.
    And that is pretty much it. It's a weak "The Walking Dead" spinoff, that is not that great. It's not a "masterpiece" - a 100%, a 10/10 or a 5/5. A game considered a masterpiece must have meaning, better writing, and not only good looks, but good design too. To me, everyone who gives this game above an 8 is either dumb or has been paid to do so. If you don't agree on my points - go play The Walking Dead Season 1, there you can see how much better executed is a very similar plot.
    Most people have heard probably of BioShock Infinite - a game that was not so overhyped. I'm bringing it up, because it's a good example to compare The Last of Us with - about writing, about how the game is directed to make you care and about the fact that it contains meaning, it contains something that will haunt you until you die. This is something The Last of Us strives to achieve, but I believe that ultimately it's bad directing and a weak plot that bring it down from greatness.
    The Last of Us is indeed the most overrated game I have ever seen and played. However, that does not mean it's not a good game - it is. It's fun, very fun in fact, and I do recommend it, because there is something to it. It's just not the masterpiece everyone is now almost taught to say it is.
  29. Feb 14, 2018
    Cutscene concentration is too high. I was so bored during the first 4 hours. Graphics are OK, but for PS3. The whole gameplay is just walking through a corridor between cutscenes. The story is good, but nothing special. The dialogues and emotions of the characters are incredibly stupid and not believeable. Only music is flawless in this game. No idea, why it is so overhyped.
  30. Jan 13, 2017
    I couldn't find it as addictive as any other Naughty Dog's game. For some reason, yet any of their games are tunnels/corridors too, this one felt even more like it. Advance, move, kill this one, force yourself to move to the next point and repeat. I don't know, can't find the epicness others did. Once you catch the idea and mechanics, no enemy is a challenge. The story is good thou. AndI couldn't find it as addictive as any other Naughty Dog's game. For some reason, yet any of their games are tunnels/corridors too, this one felt even more like it. Advance, move, kill this one, force yourself to move to the next point and repeat. I don't know, can't find the epicness others did. Once you catch the idea and mechanics, no enemy is a challenge. The story is good thou. And the visuals, like any Naughty Dog game, go further than you can imagine in a PS3: but don't fool yourself, the cutscenes aren't real-time graphics, they use the same engine yes but are pre-recorded, thats why you think they look so great. Another bad thing is the AI, the enemie's one is good, but not the companions. And they will be ignored. When they first showed trailers years ago, it really looked like you had to take care of your fragile companion, or that this companion would actually help you when you had a problem. But far from all that. Also, like any ND game, the puzzles are way too simple. And to end, for such a short game, the beginning was way too slow. Expand
  31. Jan 23, 2017
    Dieses Spiel ist gut. Das Storytelling brilliant und spannend. Das Gameplayin in diesem Spiel ist wie eine Achterbahnfahrt. Zum einen spielt Stealth eine übergeordnete Rolle wobei immer wieder bombastisch inszenierte aktiongeladene Stellen für Abwechslung sorgen. Es herrscht eigentlich permanenter Ressourcenmangel so ist Mirkomangament ein Muss für den Erfolg. Eigentlich ein MusterbeispielDieses Spiel ist gut. Das Storytelling brilliant und spannend. Das Gameplayin in diesem Spiel ist wie eine Achterbahnfahrt. Zum einen spielt Stealth eine übergeordnete Rolle wobei immer wieder bombastisch inszenierte aktiongeladene Stellen für Abwechslung sorgen. Es herrscht eigentlich permanenter Ressourcenmangel so ist Mirkomangament ein Muss für den Erfolg. Eigentlich ein Musterbeispiel für ein Survival-Horror (Third-Person Shooter) Spiel.

Warum dann so verhältnismäßig wenig Punkte?! Nun... die Story kann so gut sein wie sie will. Für mich war sie stets vorhersehbar... auch die Charaktere und deren, nach typisch amerikanischem Klischee gestalteten Rollen, habe ich schon zigmal gesehen (wenn auch selten einige Ausbrüche aus diesen feststellbar waren).

Auch hat mir die Steuerung leider immer wieder einen Strich durch die Rechnung gemacht (vorallem in besagten Aktionszenen). Hier war sie definitiv zu indirekt und mit unzureichendem Waffenfeedback.

Was mir aber am meisten auf den Senkel ging, waren die permanenten CTD bzw. Abstürze... mindestens alle 30 Minuten durfte ich den Spielstand neu laden... für ein systemexklusives Spiel, erwarte ich gerade an dieser Stelle ein gewisses Feintuning der Entwickler.

Ansonsten ein gutes Spiel.
  32. Feb 27, 2017
    jogo superestimado que se firma em sua narrativa que nao é original e apenas ganhou destaque por pegar o sucesso do the walking da telltale, infelizmente foi um jogo que foi careegado pela mídia, mas que nao deixa de ser um jogo mediano
  33. Jun 1, 2017
    It's a great movie. Not a great game.
    Undeniably, it has a stunning storytelling and it's really emotional.
    The plot is the classic "save and help this person to move from point A to point B". But, holy moly, what a boring game-play. You shoot and you go "stealth". And that's about it. The AI is one of the worst in AAA games. Ellie has the strength of Wonder Woman in the body of a
    It's a great movie. Not a great game.
    Undeniably, it has a stunning storytelling and it's really emotional.
    The AI is one of the worst in AAA games.
    Ellie has the strength of Wonder Woman in the body of a child (almost). Her personality is kinda stereotyped. But the most annoying thing is that she's invisible to enemies.
    And it's a survival game, kinda silly right?
  34. Aug 28, 2017
    Un bel gioco ma non il capolavoro per cui viene spacciato . Alla fine ha un gamelay sufficiente e una trama mediocre raccontata in modo eccelso . Sicuramente il gioco più sopravvalutato della storia , per adesso
  35. Feb 7, 2018
    Good things first. Story. Characters. Graphics. Beautiful on ps3. Awful on ps4.
    Good things first. Story. Characters. Graphics. Beautiful on ps3. Awful on ps4.
    Bad things. Bad feeling about character control. So rubbery. Not really good stealth. At some point game just tells you that now is the action time and you can't stealth from this point. Puzzles and QTE are just boring. Also costume design is not realistic. They looks like a family on a mountain trip. Just dirty. Joel's friend with traps look more like survivors do.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]